New York State Higher Education Services Corporation

Compare Student Loans

Research top Student Loans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Apparently this company doesn't really do any research on the people it's going after. My employer received an Order of Withholding from this company for me, yet the SSN doesn't match, the address doesn't match, oh and yeah, I've never actually had a student loan. I've reached to them as well as my own attorney and we are prepared to do whatever we legally can if that means filing a class action suit against this company, so be it. Trying to garnish someone's wages without even confirmation that it's the right person is pretty messed up to say the least and these companies will just keep doing it and keep getting away with it until it costs them a lot of money. So here's to hoping I can make this very expensive for them.

New York State Higher Education Services really goes above and beyond. Months ago, I received several phone calls (at work, no less) from a bill collector in regard to a debt that is not mine. I explained on more than one occasion that they had contacted the wrong person (even confirming the SSN they had on file was not mine) and I was assured this would not happen again. That is, until my employer received an order from HESC instructing them to garnish my wages due to unpaid student loans to the tune of $160.000, a student debt which is NOT mine.

It turns out there is a person with the same name as mine living in the same metro area who had defaulted on her loans however, this apparently does not make any sort of difference to HESC, as they will find a way to be paid back no matter what. They, of course, couldn't be bothered to verify the identity of the person from whom they demand payment and insisted on harassing me and causing me a great deal of distress and embarrassment (that isn't even my own). I cannot confirm whether or not this practice is legal, but it is certainly unethical and amoral. Shame on you, New York State Higher Education Services.

My loans were defaulted, so that's on me. What I did not appreciate was that first, my wages were garnished. NYS HESC staff were so disrespectful over the phone. I ended up doing a rehabilitation program for 1 year to get out of default. 1 year goes by, and loans are still defaulted. They claimed they sent me a letter in the mail to fill out to get out of default, which never happened. They sent it again (which I also requested they send via email so I can fax right away) in the mail, and I sent it back.

Then the last month and half of my time with them was consternation on their part because before even doing the rehab, they said if I paid in a year, I should be in the clear. Now after doing that, they would not reduce what I was paying them (I had a kid, and they reduced my payments by FIVE DOLLARS), and also I consolidated my loans via and chose to send it to another company I was already paying another loan off with. HESC told me they don't do business with that company, and this was repeated several times even though I was told via automated system and a live rep that yes, the other company DID receive my request. My loans are now being handed over to them. If you have children, implore them not to do any business with HESC. They and you will regret it.

To keep this simple and to the point, I had small loan $9000.00 and some change with Sallie Mae. I deferred a couple of times after graduation. I finally got a job, got married and had children. Catch 22 not enough income to pay back loan I default on it. Several years go by and my loan is giving to New York State Higher Education Services Corp. They contact my employer to start garnishment for the amount of $ 41,654.00 which they do for five very stressful years. Once the amount totaled what the judgement asked for HR (payroll) stopped garnishing my check.

A month went by and I was contacted by NYSHEC about the payment. They wanted to know why HR stopped sending the payment and that I still owed $15000.00. I contacted the HR person that handled garnishments in payroll. They showed me documentation that the 5 years of garnishment added up to the amount of the judgement. HR and myself contacted them on this matter but they say I still owe. I have been sending a monthly payment of $185 for over a year now to keep them from garnishing a larger amount. On top of this the monthly bill shows a collection cost of $35 for what I'm sending the payment in. The balance on this false money that they say I owe is still over $14000.00.

I have used my coworker as a reference on my daughter's student loan. I have missed payment due to personal reason last year in Nov. 2011. New York State Higher Education Services called my reference and sent her a letter with my account number on it. At that point, I have called Sallie Mae to remove my coworker as a reference from this loan. They promised me it will be done, but it never happened. At the end of this year, when I missed a payment, my coworker was again called by NYSHES. My coworker called me and told me that NYSHES released her my SSN (last 4 digits).

When I called Sallie Mae, they told me that they never release SSN from client's account to anybody. Then I decided to also call NYSHES, and a gentleman I spoke to said that by law, they can release last 4 digits of SSN to the reference. If I knew my SSN will go public, I would never have taken a loan from Sallie Mae. Please comment on this. I need to know how other people feel about it. When I was contacting Sallie Mae about the problem, some of the employees I spoke to were joking about it. Their behavior was all together unprofessional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York State Higher Education Services Corporation?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

On July 5, 2012, I contacted HESC to inquire about a stipulation that I had asked for weeks prior. The individual on the phone gave some lame answer like "It's being worked on." So I called the following day, July 6, 2012, and asked the representative to provide me with the name of the person who is handling my situation. This person said that he was not going to provide me with the name. So we exchanged some words, and I told him I have a right to know who is handling my case. He said to me that he was still not going to give me the name. Then he proceeded to chastise me about how long this loan has been in default and as if to say because of this, I don't have the right to know who is working on my case. I have been making payments on this account for the last year. I am trying to get a judgment vacated so that I can apply for consolidation. It has been at least 10 weeks and no one is providing any answers. Please help.

I have been making the payments I had arranged with Higher Education for well over 2 years. I received my State Income Taxes last year, but I did not receive them this year. Upon calling Higher Education, I was told that my payment went up (they did not notify me of this), yet the automated system still says the amount from the payment arrangement. I am completely outraged with NY Higher Education. As a single working mother, it’s hard enough making ends meet without being nickel and dimed at every turn.

I have been paying on my loan with them since October 2009 to get it rehabilitated. I have been making my payments every month in the amount of $110. When I filed my taxes this year, I received a letter from the IRS stating that NYSHESC will be receiving my state taxes due to a payment that they received in the amount of $59 in April of 2011. I called them several times to talk about this matter and never was successful in contacting the person that handles my account. So therefore, I had to talk to several people about this. I was told to fax them the check for April 2011 the back and the front. I did that to prove that I did indeed make a payment in the amount of $110. Now all I am getting when I call is the runaround. It is an error on their part. I am a single mother of two and I depend on my tax money to get my kids' clothing and things throughout the year. I am very pissed that this is happening and they are not seeming to want to correct it.

I was contacted by a collection agency in approximately April of 2009, indicating that my loan was in default and my loan had been assigned to them for collection. I set up a payment arrangement and scheduled an automatic withdrawal from my checking account to occur monthly. Payments were deducted from my account monthly as arranged until September of 2009. I was never contacted by the collection agency or notified that my payments would cease.

One day, I noticed that my checking account balance appeared larger than I anticipated--that is when I realized that my student loan payment had not been taken out of my account for September and October. I immediately contacted the collection agency and was then told that my loan had been returned to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.

After being given several different telephone numbers, I was transferred to the collection department of the NYSHESC. I again set up payment arrangements to be paid on a monthly basis (totaling approximately $60 more than the previous payment, which was already a hardship). I have made the payment monthly as agreed; however, I continue to receive notices in the mail indicating that my payment has not been received and threatening garnishment of wages and tax refunds.

I have contacted customer service at the NYSHESC each month to clarify that my payment has been received. Each time, I have been told to disregard the notice, as my payment has been received. The last time I called, after waiting 40 minutes to get through to a rep, I was told that I should contact the IRS to find out if "I am certified or decertified" and was provided with a contact number for the IRS. This is absolutely ridiculous and I should not be receiving threatening notices when I am making my scheduled payments.

Furthermore, I have been informed that in order to qualify for the rehabilitation program, that I must make nine consecutive payments. My payments to the collection agency were stopped without notice; thus, interrupting my payments before nine consecutive payments could be made and I strongly suspect that there will be a problem in the future that interrupts my current payments. This appears to be a scam. I would like to file a complaint regarding this matter.

I paid off a student loan with Sallie Mae through its agents, HEMAR and paid a $65K lump sum, a settlement which cut down the fees, and interests. One year later, I received a call from NYS higher education through its agents threatening me to sign a new contract directly with NYS for the same loan I had already settled a year prior. NYS withheld documents for examination and did not demonstrate that the loans that they were seeking were distinguishable from Sallie Mae. In fact, they obstructed me from review of anything until I had to file a claim against them. After 5 years, they submitted consolidation documents which clearly state, Sallie Mae as the loan originator. NYS HESC has no evidence that what they are asking ($105K) is distinguishable other than ledgers. Why are student debtors treated differently when clearly, they are the victims?

The New York State Higher Education Services Corporation corrupts with Sallie Mae Servicing to steal money from student loan borrowers.

I am a single parent. From September 1986 to 1998, I attended college half time non-stop. In October 1986, I borrowed a loan from Bough of Manhattan Community College with Chase Manhattan Bank , 220 Lasley Ave. Silkes Barre, PA 18773, telephone 717-821-3600; the amount was $2,500, but I only received two thousand four hundred and something because they deducted the money.

In September 1988, I transferred to Brooklyn College.

In 1989 and 1996, I constantly received telephone call from Sallie Mae Serving demanding money and threatened to destroy my credit. I told them I never borrow money from Sallie Mae Serving and later I realized Sallie Mae Serving bought my loan from the bank. I told them I was still in College and I was not able to pay yet and I was eligible for deferment and I sent them the deferment paper. But they kept calling and started to destroy my credit and started to charge me interest. I started to borrow from other places and returned my loan.

In June 1998 I returned all my loans that Sallie Mae Servicing bought from colleges when I stopped attending college in June 1998. I did not hear from Sallie Mae Servicing except that I received materials from them for to apply credit card from Sallie Mae Servicing.

In 2001, my son started to go to college, he applied a Direct loan from University of Rochester with the New York Higher Education Services Corporation when applied college. Right after, I started to received letters from Sallie Mae Servicing stating that I still owned them $102.58

Before and while I was having dispute with Sallie Mae Servicing, I started to receive phone calls from the New York Higher Education Services Corporation stating that I owned money and bought it from Sallie Mae Servicing right away when I requested for review.

Then I constantly received phone calls from the New York Higher Education and they disregarded my request for review.

Since 2004, the New York Higher Education Started to have all my New York Tax Refund $145.5 and I still own them money.

New York State Higher Education Services Company Profile