2. Education
  3. GRE Prep Course

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5

Magoosh Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magoosh?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Magoosh ?

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have had a great experience prepping with Magoosh. They are by far the most cost effective option available; the value you get compared to other service is incredible. The adaptive feature really helps you get accustomed to the GREs terrible tendency to crank up the difficulty as soon as you're on a roll. The videos are also really helpful and comprehensive. Overall, after hours of researching prep options and many more hours studying, I would say Magoosh is the best option available.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

In my opinion, Magoosh is not structured very well. I was hoping to learn the lessons in a somewhat chronological order so that each skill would build upon the next, and then I could take a quiz on what I had learned thus far to validate that I was progressing. However, the quizzes do not cover the material as you learn it but instead quiz you on every possible topic, many of which you have not yet even seen. This strategy is not good for retention of material nor is it good for boosting your confidence about your learning progression.

Besides that, the practice tests are nice for building mental stamina, however, I would see several repeated questions during practice tests sometimes which does not translate to an accurate gauge of what you should be scoring. I also felt that the video explanations for quantitative questions were often extremely vague and unhelpful. If I could do it over again, I would have used the ETS website + books only and not bothered to pay for Magoosh.

Get buying tips about GRE Prep Course delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I have a charge from them on my card. I called them and explained in English (test is English as a foreign language), that this was a fraud charge. The lady said that's too bad and then gave me a spiel about what a good test it is. Absolutely would not help. The charge should not go all the way through unless someone took the test. They did. Credit card company is getting same results. How they don't understand that I speak English and from USA is beyond me.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I bought the account in the month of February, 2019 with a 6 months subscription period for an amount of $111 as they came up with a discount in the month of February, 2019. But today it is March 1, 2019 and I got the error message that your account subscription has expired in September, 2018. I didn't buy any package in the year 2018. The management and their technical teams are trying to do a fraud which I don't want to be a part of and wrongly changed the expiration date on my GRE online account. I don't know whether Magoosh will fix this problem or not but I had the worse experience with Magoosh's GRE preparation. Kindly, if you know of any organization who can help me in this regard then please do suggest or at least email me at ** so that I can claim my money back.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

You got a lot of practice tests, schedules, assistance, and score predictions, along with a guarantee to raise score at least five points for under a $100. A pretty good value. There was no live tutoring, only videos to watch. It would have been nice to actually have a teacher or instructor to answer specific questions. The ease of use was good. It was pretty easy to use with little to no difficulty. Navigating it was easy and using all the products within it was not hard. It gave me a lot of study time, and test, and things to go over. I felt much more prepared after using Magoosh than I would have if I had not taken the time to use it.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

Great services at reasonable prices. This really helped me succeed in my chosen field of study in college. I would definitely recommend GRE prep courses to anyone seriously considering continuing their education. The teachers were all great, for the most part. Some came off like they had a stick up their butts, but I do realize everyone has a bad day every once in a while. The materials were reasonably priced and easy to use. I would have preferred some workbooks that would outline the lessons in more detail though just in case I don't pick up what the professors are saying the first time around. These GRE prep courses really helped me in school. They gave me a chance to see what some of the tests may look like & helped me highlight points to study further because I didn't know enough about certain subjects.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

The questions were somewhat similar to the ones found on the actual GRE but there were a lot of differences and aspects I was not prepared for, especially in terms of the language portion. The teacher was adequate but did not add anything to my experience. I would have rather just had the book and done the problems on my own because they just discussed more about taking the test than the concepts themselves. There was plentiful materials. There were so many practice tests and lessons to read to review concepts that I could not even finish them all by the time I took the GRE. I felt somewhat prepared for the GRE because I could understand the time limits and knew the types of questions to consider, but I was not prepared for a variety of the language comprehension concepts.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I'd recommend to anyone taking the test. It helped me a lot. Let me see what to expect, prepare and study for it. It helped me score higher than I would have without it. It was easy to study it yourself and categorized in sections it helped me a lot and was very knowledgeable for me to study for the test. It was very easy and had a lot of study materials, practice test, vocab words and everything. Definitely worth it to buy if you want to do the best you possibly can on your test. The preparation was great nothing short of perfect. The GRE prep course helped me tremendously and was very easy to use. Helped me not be so intimidated of the test itself.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

It is difficult, but worth it. Text completion is the most difficult one, reading comprehension is okay, math is very good. Recommend to use mock test, there will be an extra verbal just like the real test. The teacher is very good, he knows about the test very well, his explanation is very understandable. Verbal teacher, I didn't listen to math explanations. The website is very accessible as long as you have Internet. I didn't have any problem with accessibility. I didn't ask any questions through email. First, I watched all teaching videos, then practiced a little bit, then I took mock test twice every week for about one month. Finally, I worked the rest of unanswered questions. It was a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

It gave me access to all of my study products anywhere and any time that I wanted or needed to use them. They provided a lot of content for the money as well. They were very knowledgeable and helpful. They were easy to contact and quick to respond and help in any way that they could. They were really great for being an online only company. They allow for you to access across many different devices and allow you access at any time that you have an internet connection which allowed me to study whenever and wherever I wanted to. They helped me be prepared for the test by offering many different ways to study and plenty of practice tests to take so I would be ready for anything that the test threw at me.

Magoosh author review by ConsumerAffairs

Magoosh gives you a program for your desktop, or an app for your mobile device, with thousands of GRE questions and full-length tests.

• Low cost: This is one of the best priced options, with prices around 75 percent cheaper than competing GRE prep programs.

• Score improvement guarantee: Magoosh guarantees it will raise your score by at least five points, or the service is free.

• Wide range of supported devices: You can do your prep on a desktop, laptop, Android or iOS device.

• Continuous updates: App delivery means that the questions and advice are constantly updated with actual responses from other students who have just taken the GRE.

• Smart feedback and responses: Magoosh gives you real-time guidance on which areas to focus on next, and how to approach similar questions.

• Video tutor: Although there are no live tutors or one-on-one mentoring, video guidance is the next best thing.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team