Kaplan

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Took online courses for continuing education their courses were guaranteed to be approved by the TREC for the number of credits and hours shown. I took 2 courses for 6 hours and 4 hours. Turns out both of them are only really for 3 hours each causing me to buy another course. This is false advertising and horrible customer service. Will never use again. Go to The CE Shop they have way better videos and they actually update information with your local state so that whatever credit they say you are getting you actually will.

I'm in the 2nd week of my last term and I graduate Aprill 11th with a bachelor's in Psychology with a concentration in addictions. The classes are rigorous and you have to give it your all; online schooling will not give you good grades for "**" work. There's 10 units in every course and you usually take two classes a term. The unit runs from Wednesday to Tuesday and all work for that unit has to be submitted by 11:59 PM Tuesday night. You go one seminar a week, which the majority of are held on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays, but you can access your unit and see what work needs to be done at any time during the week; you don't have to wait to take the seminar.

The professors are amazing, now that's not to say you won't get ones who drive you crazy; some make seminar so boring you fall asleep, some take points for every tiny thing, some that have rules others don't (i.e. Having to submit your initial post by Saturday, and having to participate in discussion boards on three different days); some accept work after 11:59pm and into the wee hours of the night because they understand we live in different time zones, while others will lock the unit the second the clock strikes midnight.

Kaplan University campuses and courses online are just as good as any other college. During my first 3 week trial period, I contacted around 25 employers in different forms of treatment; including, in and outpatient treatment centers, hospitals, private practices, and methadone clinics. Not one of those facilities said they had a problem with Kaplan University. The crap I've read about employers throwing resumes in the trash when they see the applicant graduated from Kaplan is just that bullcrap.

However, several of those employers said that applicants with a degree from University of Phoenix would be avoided if possible. I had a 4.0 GPA for my first two years, but I admit it did drop when my husband deployed and with four kids I was struggling on my own. I've gotten three C's and one F, which brought my GPA down to 3.64. There is no way I would have gotten those C's if it wasn't for the empathy, compassion, and understanding if my professors. The F was unfixable because it was a graduate course.

Oh yeah, here's another great thing about Kaplan, if you plan on getting your master's degree right after your bachelor's, Kaplan has a master's accelerated program where you can take graduate courses as electives while earning your bachelor's. You have to have a 3.0 (not 100% on that one), you have to write an essay about why you want to join the program and your future goals, and you have to have 4 open electives. If you're accepted, like I was, you have to get at least a B in each class to stay in the program, and when you finish you have 20 credits go to your bachelor's degree and when you start your master's degree the grades from those classes carry over and you have a shortened masters degree program. That's 6 months off your master's degree. However, I did call the first class due to personal issues and if you fail you get kicked out of the program and you cannot retake that course; that's why my GPA took a nose dive.

Okay, now I'd like to address some of the things people said on here. For the woman who turned her paper in the wrong format and is blaming the teacher for not grading it on time... that's not the professor's fault. S/he doesn't have to grade work during the unit work is due or even the next week. If you had submitted the paper in correct format you would have won the grade appeal. When we first start at Kaplan we sign a paper stating we will have Microsoft Office; it's a requirement and in every course I've taken it's also been stated in the rubric. You said you had gotten all these A's then you should have known better. Also, and a few people have posted about this, as far as scholarships go that let's say 12k is not one lump sum that you get, it's spread out over a certain number of classes.

For example, I receive the single parent scholarship from Kaplan, which in total adds up to $8,000, but I only get $500 of it each term and I have to take at least two classes a term to receive it. So, just because you have a $12,000 scholarship and you owe the University say $9,000 doesn't mean you get all but $3,000 of the scholarship to pay it off. There was also someone who said that all Kaplan cares about is money, which is and isn't true. Kaplan University is a for-profit university and other schools are non-profit; this isn't a derogatory term used to put down universities it's a classification. Kaplan cares very much for their students and they want them to succeed.

They have a graduation percentage, which is how many enroll and graduate versus those who enroll and don't graduate, and the higher it is the more people want to go there. I have had my educational advisor, my professors, and even the dean go above and beyond to help me succeed. For example, they all worked on trying to get that F off my transcripts for weeks, and I ran out of funding and still had 3 classes left. That would have cost me over $5,565, but my education advisor figured out I could take Kaplan's Open College to get the credit for those 3 classes and they're free, the only thing you have to pay for is $100 for the assessment/exam.

The courses are self-paced, they have 5 modules where you read a few chapter, take quiz, do some activities, and then take the exam, but none of that other stuff counts on your grade; you have to take the little quizzes to unlock the assessment but you don't have to get a certain grade on them, you have to pass the assessment to get the 5 credits, and you're only allowed to take up to three courses if you're already enrolled in Kaplan.

Bottom line, Kaplan is a great school, what and when I read the comments it's blatantly obvious that for almost all of them the fault was theirs alone. You what's required of you, you know what you have to do, and it's your responsibility to monitor your government funding. You can go right to FAFSA website and see how much was given to Kaplan every term, how much funding you have left; that way if something funky happens you can address it right away. Online schooling isn't for everyone, some people fail, and they want someone to blame, that's normal, that's human, but students are constantly dropping out or being expelled for their grades or for lack of payment.

Most of these posts are from people who were expelled for those reasons. I graduate in 9 weeks, so take it from me this is a great school as long as you're ready to work hard to reach your goals, and Kaplan has tons of tools, professors, and tutors to help you reach those goals. There's a math center for tutoring, access to a library filled with all the research information you can imagine, and there's even a writing center where you can turn your paper in and they'll give you advice within 48 hours on grammar, essay set-up, and what all needs to be fixed on your paper. I love Kaplan and if you're a hard worker so will you. You get what you put into it.

Kaplan is just like any other university. I'm going to tell everybody a story. My best friend went to the University of Texas (UT) here in Austin, TX one semester from graduating with a BA in Math his financial aid runs out. Took him 3 years to re-apply and finish. It happens everywhere with every university. You have to read between the fine lines. I know it's going to happen for me, and that's why I already have steps taken so I can complete my degree. You can't be mad at anybody except yourselves because you didn't take the time to read and listen to what the faculty had to say.

Originally enrolled in the Medical Assisting Associates program. I transferred to the Bachelor of Health in Health Science in Sept 2015. I decided to transfer back to the MA program to finish my associates with the plan of going onto get my BSN when I was done. I spoke with my advisor about this, he felt this was a good option. So, after I transfer back and continued the MA journey I find out that I had been enrolled in a certificate program and they had discontinued the associates program. So, I've spent almost 2 years to get a certificate when I really should be getting an associate degree. No one ever told me that they were changing the associates to a certificate program. When I spoke to my advisor about this, he apologized and said they don't have the program anymore so I can't get my associates. I've done almost two years worth of work to get an associates and I'm only being given a certificate.

THEN upon completing the MA program, I took the HESI exam to get into the BSN program, did my entrance interview with the Dean of Nursing, and passed my drug screen. When I went to meet with financial aid I was told that I would have to pay about $20,000 out of pocket because I will be over my aggregate limit. Couldn't someone have told me this before when I transferred back to the MA program?? My advisor has known my plan all along. Even when I signed up in 2014, I told them I wanted to get my BSN. I was told that wouldn't be a problem.

Right now, I'm at $27,000 in debt with school loans, I owed about $13,000 before I transferred to Kaplan. Per a Kaplan financial aid advisor, based on loans alone, you will run out of loan funding in 1803C, the July 2018 term leaving you three terms to cover without the use of loan funds. You will also have a financial gap in award years two and three. In total, this comes to $19,949 out of pocket. So, if the max aggregate limit is $57,500 and I'm expected to pay $19,949 out of pocket, it seems a bit pricey ($77,449 minus the $13,000 I previously owed = $64,449 for a little over 4 years of school). It's not even the price that I'm upset about, why didn't someone tell me this before? That I wouldn't have enough financial aid to complete. Now, I've lost my associates which I've worked my butt off for and I can't even continue my schooling.

I was solicited by Kaplan University after filling out a request for a grant or scholarship so I talked to an advisor about the Paralegal Studies Associate Degree. I had been certified as a Paralegal a few years prior and thought if I got my degree, I wouldn't have to keep getting recertified. It seemed like a good plan and the advisor convinced me that it was. I had gone to community college where I received my Computer Applications Certificate in early the 2000s and was on the Dean's List and in the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. I was able to transfer 40 credits toward my Associates Degree, which only left me with 50 credits to earn for my Degree. Kaplan also gave me a $15,800 scholarship, which they said would cover most of my tuition and I could pay for the rest with student loans. It sounded doable so I enrolled.

I was a 63-year-old widow (now 65), working full time, so the online course was perfect for me. I was doing very well in my classes, getting almost all A's, and on the Dean's List at Kaplan. I had four classes to go to complete my studies and earn my Degree when I lost my scholarship due to my professor not informing me that my final project for her class was submitted in an unreadable format in a timely manner so I could resubmit it. She had, on more than one occasion, turn our grades in late, and this was the case on our finale projects. Because of her negligence, I was not given the opportunity to resubmit my assignment so I could receive the grade I deserved. I was getting almost all A's in this course too.

What happened was, and this really pisses me off, I had purchased an HP laptop right before I started school, and I would do some of my assignments on the laptop, but I would submit my assignments into the dropbox from my desktop computer because Microsoft had Word Starter on my HP, and as a marketing strategy, they had it designed to randomly reformat documents to encourage you to subscribe to their Microsoft Office Suite. That's right, you couldn't buy the product, you had to rent it, and resubscribe every year, so you had to pay for it each year. I couldn't afford to do that at the time, so I just made sure I submitted my assignments from my desktop.

One night, I was working in a client's home (I am a caregiver), and I was finishing my final project, which had to be turned in by 9pm PST in order to be submitted on time EST. I had to submit the assignment from my laptop because I would not get home till after 9pm. When I opened my assignment it was in Word format, but when it went into the dropbox it was reformatted into an unreadable format. Since the professor was late in grading our assignments, she never emailed to inform me of this and ask me to resubmit it. Instead, she gave me an F in the whole course. She never even returned any of my emails regarding this issue, I think because she was at fault and didn't care that she lost me my scholarship. I had never turned an assignment in late in any of my classes.

When I talked to my advisor about what happened, I was told that I could try to appeal the results, but I shouldn't bother because it probably wouldn't do any good. Needless to say, I feel that I was scammed. It was as if Kaplan just waited for the first opportunity to yank my scholarship. Due to this unfair treatment of me, a student with a high GPA, and an excellent record of completing and turning in all assignments on time, I now have over $12,000 in students loans that I can't repay.

I have been able to get a forbearance for the last two years, but I thought I had to pay a company to negotiate on my behalf. Come to find out, after paying a company $300 the first time, I got a for one year, and then the company called me a year later and I paid them another $300, only to find that they took my money and didn't contact FAFSA to get me a forbearance for another year, they just took my money. So, I called and took care of it myself. So, I was out $600, plus the over $12,000 in student debt that I can't afford to pay, and no Degree! I want to see Kaplan University go down. They are nothing more than major a con artist.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan?

I went to Kaplan for one semester. When I seen after week two that there was a $1000 balance showing I called the financial aid department. A person there named Tameka told me "don't worry about it. The financial aid will cover it in the end", so I stayed in the classes instead of dropping them within the 3 week trial. Two weeks later I get told that that money will have to be paid at the end of the semester or I can not keep going. I completed my classes and even paid the money due before the due date but had decided to transfer to a school that my financial aid would cover the cost of. Kaplan is now holding my financial aid hostage and will not cancel future payments so I can enroll in the new school I want to go to.

I called and got ignored by financial aid. The first time I emailed them I got told it would be done within 30 days of the last day of the semester I last attended. This did not happen. I emailed them a second time and they said it should be within 3 to 5 days. I have no faith it will get done this time. This school has no reason to be binding me up with getting into another school other than spite. I paid the balance due by the due date. I did what was asked of me. They refuse to do their part. Do not trust a word financial aid tells you. They have done nothing but lie to me. If you decide to attend this school make sure they put everything in writing and even then I would not trust them.

I owed them $401 for my first term and would not work with me to help me start my next term. I would not recommend this school to no one. They will not work with you and do not care about anyone. I would find a school that cares about the student and not just about the money. They are a scam artist, and I wish there were more that I could do!!

I enrolled in Kaplan University Online in 2014. I was told that my 29 yr old daughter had stage 4 cervical and ovarian cancer shortly after. I informed the school what was happening and told them that I would not be able to complete my classes going through this with my daughter. I was told I be dropped from the classes and it was early enough that it would not affect anything. I went through the surgeries with my daughter and by the grace of God she is now cancer free. I enrolled in Colorado Technical University this term and I find out that the classes were not dropped that they have me as failing the classes and financial went through to the school. I went onto the student portal which apparently I have had access to since 2014 but when I began to question this suddenly I was restricted from access. I want my aid credited back to me and I want the transcripts to read dropped not failed.

I am a second year student with Kaplan University online. I am, first, going to address the 50 year old with the perfect grades... Make sure your Dean's List certificates match your actual gpa... mine did not. In researching Kaplan, I have found that they have had more than one lawsuit against them, including class action suits. My biggest concern was the one for having submitted $8 BILLION in fraudulent funds, people being turned down for employment due to their - Kaplan degree - and other companies about unethical enrollment, unqualified instructors, and so on. I had A's in my courses, now dropping because the homework platform doesn't work properly, which I can verify with emails from my so-called professor. Please consider another school. Research lawsuits on this school to get a list of other questionable schools, that include Kaplan University.

I attended Kaplan this last semester. Now I owe 4,000 for classes I never got to take and was promised financial aid I never received. I also was rewarded 8,500 in scholarships I never heard about past being awarded them? I'm just confused. I was 7 weeks in my classes, I attended them I just never sent in the work because I was told I could send it all at once. Then I was told I needed another form for my aid. I made a scribble on one of the forms I faxed, which I initialed so as to say yes I made this small scribble (like I was taught in high school) so I needed to re-fax it. Done. Transcripts sent. Transcripts returned??? I was awarded zero after I was told I was getting 8,500 in scholarships alone. That won't pay for a semester??? Why are my transcripts back in my mailbox? I paid for them, they are the official ones! I was also taking out loans and getting all of my Pell or so I was told by my lying advisor.

I needed the money for a computer, internet, a roof over my head because I moved home for this and I have to have power, water etc. Which I promised to pay my father back for... you know basic needs and school related stuff, food. Well I waited for an email because that's what you do. Nothing. I asked my advisor, she said "funny, I haven't seen any forms from you". My faxes were received from my end. I asked my advisor about filing a hardship because I couldn't pay to have internet so I could attend classes, etc. Nothing. No replies. All emails stopped. Nothing. The semester is over now so no one is even admitting I'm enrolled or was enrolled if I do get someone half decent in the phone because they dropped my classes 9 and a half weeks in?! I attended every "seminar" up until they started giving me the run around 7 weeks.

I have a 4,000 bill but no way to pay it so they might as well let me sink myself into debt with loans so I could pay them right? But no. Now my family thinks I've lied to them so what am I supposed to do?! Did I mention I'm homeless now Kaplan?! I wasted my time, my money, my credibility, and put myself into a future hole hoping I would have something to show for it. The only reason I wasn't posting my work was because I was behind on the first two weeks because my former best friend tried to kill herself by first week of class while I was babysitting for the weekend and staying overnight. So, I asked to file a hardship and my advisor just overlooked my question of how to do so all together and she just told me to send my work in when it was finished. Well I wasted a lot of time on weeks 3-7 that I'll never get to send in because they dropped me. This is a nightmare. What gives with this rip off school? How can they do this?? It's 2016!

This school has failed to uphold their responsibility to me as a student after attending for three years. I was told during admission that my financial aid would cover my entire higher education, only to find out in the middle of a semester, three years later, 5 months before I'm supposed to graduate, that I've exhausted my financial aid and that I would be required to pay for the remainder of my higher education out of pocket. Being on a tight budget, this was impossible for me. This resulted in me withdrawing from the two classes I was in the middle of, and dis-enrolling from the school. I was told by the education advisers that I would be dropped from both classes and that my grades would not post to my transcript.

Now, 6 months after dis-enrolling, I am trying to admit into another online school so I may finish my higher education and get my degree. The new school I am trying to attend requested my official transcript from Kaplan to complete the admissions process, but Kaplan has put a hold on my account. Come to find out that this hold was placed on my account for "financial, or academic reasons."

After looking into it, I've found out that I was NOT dropped from the two classes when I was told I would be, I was not dis-enrolled when I was told I would be, and due to me not attending classes after the phone call I made to dis-enroll myself, was expelled from the school due to consecutive non-attendance. On top of this, I am being required to pay for the remaining balance not covered by financial aid for the two classes I was supposed to be dropped from, which is several thousands of dollars, AND because I wasn't dropped from the two classes, as I was told I would be, I failed them and my GPA was affected negatively.

In short, Kaplan University has screwed me over financially, in regards to my grades and GPA, and are now also preventing me from continuing my higher education elsewhere, due to placing a hold on my transcript. If the financial aid department at Kaplan University had informed me well before exhausting my financial aid, instead of the day it was exhausted, I would have been able to prepare and save up in order to pay for the remainder of my higher education with them out of pocket. But, given their lack of responsibility, I now cannot move forward in obtaining my degree. I've filed a complaint/dispute with their accrediting agency, the Higher Learning Commission, and am currently awaiting a response regarding this matter. Save yourself some time, trouble, and money by NOT attending this dishonest, stealthy institution for your higher education needs.

Just noticed the actual loans I had want from the school that I went to. Must I remind you I only went for a week and the year was way off. Brightwood College formerly Kaplan College has put loans with my info. How? IDK... but I'm sure it's a solution for this. Reading the reviews I'm sure I'm not the only one. This school need to be reported as fraud. I'm sure Department of Education will dispute this from your account. But why and how did they get anyone info to proceed.

I never went to Kaplan online and now I have student loans worth thousands and they are taking my taxes and does anyone realize how hard it is to prove, that you never apply to Kaplan. All they want is people's money and I don't have a lot of money. Someone needs to stop these people. All they want is your money, forging signatures and stealing people's identity. I wouldn't ever go to Kaplan. Quit ripping people off. These are people's lives you're ripping apart. I would like to know if there's help out there for them filing student loans under my name. Seems no one believes me but it's true. They opened accounts under my name and thousands and thousands of government money went to these con artist.

I've been going to Kaplan for roughly 3 years. The courses are rigorous and challenging. Each term is typically 9-10 weeks long. I received a partial scholarship, and student financial aid. All financing has been delivered as promised. Sometimes the payments are a bit delayed, but eventually the financial department gets everything where it needs to go. I attended University of Phoenix prior to going here. I've found Kaplan to be much more educational, with particularity, the amount of information I retain after each term. I am noticeably more intelligent, my writing skills are becoming very acute, and I can see a huge difference in the amount of knowledge I have.

Many people who go here are happy, but there's always a few who wouldn't be happy at 'any' school, no matter how astute the college may be. I can honestly say that if it were not for Kaplan I would not be able to get a degree, or benefit from the vast amount of knowledge I have obtained. I'm currently in the legal studies program, and let me tell you, it is very challenging, but worth every moment. I have learned specific legal industry data; how to write legal briefs, how to cite using BlueBook, how to use Westlaw for legal research, how to write to my audience, and much, much more. It is a rich education, however, as with any education it is fully up to me to use my education to find employment. Luckily I am also an entrepreneur, so I know how to work for myself.

So, to all of the 'class action' folks on this website... shut up and get off your lazy tails and stop expecting everyone to give you everything. Go to work and payoff the loans you agreed to accept, then finish your degree; but, this time, instead of just doing what it takes to get by actually apply yourself and LEARN something. It's up to you to retain your knowledge. Nobody will do it for you!

I have 3 children, run my own business, and I'm over 50 years old. If I can do it, so can you! My current GPA is 4.0. I work hard to maintain it, and if my financial aid runs out, which it probably won't because I haven't changed my initial degree plan, then I will find another way to pay for it. What I won't do is blame Kaplan, or anyone else, for my failure to complete the degree. It is up to 'me' in this life. Kaplan is just an information hub who validates that you are a decent person who can finish a project. If you sue you are simply telling the world, including employers, that you are the kind of person who will sue to get what you want, even if you don't deserve it. Best of luck. I graduate next August.

TL:DR version: If you want a real education without getting jerked around then go elsewhere. However if you don't mind having your student loans maxed out for a mere 10 hours of instruction in each class, and don't mind classes that teach you nothing, then maybe Kaplan is for you. I was contacted by Kaplan in late September 2015 because I had indicated on some survey that I would like to continue my education. Instead of taking their time to get things right I was rushed through the admissions process in two days because they were eager to get me started in the next term. I was a little uncomfortable with this but went with it thinking I could trust them. Additionally according to my works HR page, Kaplan was offering a 10% discount for people at my employer. With those thoughts in mind I started in late September.

My first indication that something was horribly wrong was the "admissions test" that I had to take. While I understood that Kaplan has somewhat lower standards than say, Harvard, I was still expecting a little more. I honestly cannot fathom how someone with above a 6th grade education could possibly fail this exam. My first term was a complete waste of money. $3,133 of student loans for classes that I could have taught. When I mentioned this I was told, halfway through the term, that I could have taken ANOTHER class that would see what life experiences would give me credit.

My first problem with this is that, in any other reputable college in the country, they do not require you to take an additional class to prove what you know. Instead they offer competency exams for a nominal fee and give you credit for the course. The second problem was, given how late in the term it was, I had no option of doing this for these classes.

Now to their credit the teachers for that term were extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Unfortunately they had very little to teach that most of us didn't already know. My "Foundations in Information Technology" class only had seven people in it, all of whom already worked or had experience in the IT field. Due to the small class size it made it almost impossible to complete the required "discussion posts" that accounted for about 40% of your grade. Many of our classes literally consisted of the professor randomly reading stuff out of the book with him mumbling "you guys already know that..."

I passed the first term with a perfect 4.0 thinking that things would get better. I was sadly mistaken. I still had not received any funding from my student loan and I was not receiving my discount. When I mentioned this I was told, via email of course, that my employer must be mistaken as that promotion had already ended. When I repeatedly pointed out that the website, which is registered to a domain belonging to Kaplan, still showed the offer with no mention of an expiry date they finally caved and said I would qualify.

My second term consisted of a communication class, networking concepts, and "programming fundamentals for beginners." This term was like the kiss of death to Kaplan for me. Our "programming" class consisted of learning how to program in a 3D environment called Alice. While the program was admittedly fun it provided no working knowledge of any software used in a real work environment. When my brother, who has a Masters in Comp Sci and a bachelors in IT, saw this his response was literally "WTF?" "You will never use this in the real world." To add insult to injury the instructor was unable to share his screen with us so most of the work was trial and error. My communications class was even worse. A big part of the course credit for the classes is taking a one hour seminar each week. If you are unable to attend the class then you are to write a one page paper to prove that you watched it.

I had not missed any seminars to this point. After a couple of weeks into the term, however, I noticed that I was not receiving full credit for the seminars. When I questioned the instructor about this she blithely pointed out the syllabus stating that one had to make so many comments during the class in order to receive full credit. Every other professor would accomplish this by inserting random slides in the seminar that said something like "type in the number 83." This teacher didn't. My response to this was to tell her that I already had one class that ran long, thereby making me late for work, every week due to people treating the comments section like a chat room and that I thought it would be academically irresponsible for me to do the same. Her response was basically to tell me to pound sand, either type or don't get full credit.

The sad thing about that is that I did not attend one of her seminars the rest of the semester and achieved more points than the weeks that I actually attended.

My networking class was also a complete joke. Our instructor was very knowledgeable but would rarely share that knowledge. Our classes literally consisted of him copying the questions out of the syllabus and pasting them into a word document. That's is it. When asked questions he would reply to "ask in the virtual office" which translated into "ask your other students because my hour is done." Additionally many of the labs that were supposed to teach the subject matter either didn't work or left the viewer more confused than when they started.

My third term I was completely done with the bull. I had another class hosted by mister copy/paste as well as another networking class in which the labs didn't work. Our networking with TCP/IP class labs did not work about half of the time which required us to, again, figure it out on our own. Midway into week two I started filling out applications to more reputable schools. At this time I attempted to contact my "Academic Advisor" and what a nightmare that was. My first contact with the number they had listed directed my to the EAP line. My second call placed me with what was supposed to be the AA department. However when I gave them my name they could not find me in the system at all. After about an hour of them repeatedly asking me to just "look in the upper right hand corner of the page" and me repeating that "there was nothing there," they finally figured out that I had to call another campus to speak with my AA.

I finally did reach him and he went on and on about how much it was going to cost me if I stopped now and to just stick it out. After I hung up the phone with him I did not attend one more class. I was completely disenfranchised with the whole place. During that time I had either my AA or another advisor attempting to contact me on an almost daily basis. This irritated me even more. I would pick up my phone and think "If they would have tried that hard to teach me, I'd still be there!" Needless to say I did not pass the third term but in the meantime I was accepted to a much more reputable school. Imagine my surprise when I start getting emails again talking about the upcoming term from Kaplan! I contacted the AA again before the end of the first week and told him that I was done. All he could point out, again, was how much money this would cost me.

My response to that was to tell them to keep the 10% discount that I still HAD NOT SEEN along with my student loan disbursements that I... still had not seen in eight months of school, and leave me alone. I don't know about anyone else, but paying over five grand a term for less than thirty hours of instruction and nonfunctional labs is a waste of money. I now have almost ten grand in student loans and nothing to show for it. Oh well, I guess I could always sell my books to help a little. No, wait, I can't because I was charged full price for ebooks which takes even that option away. My advice, if you're looking to go back to school, is to find a nearby community college. If you must do online courses do your homework and choose classes from a reputable school.

I started attending Kaplan University as a transfer student. My expected graduation date was August 2014 however 3 semesters in I was told my federal student loans were tapped out. I received any notification or guidance from Kaplan University financial aid office. At the time I was able to get tuition assistance from my employer for weeks prior to start of the next semester. I submitted a form that Kaplan needed to fill out so I could submit to my employer before the deadline. Almost every day I was calling Kaplan to get this form filled out no response. It was just sitting in my document file unread. I missed the deadline, therefore I had to withdraw. I was hit with a $5000 bill. I finally paid it off after 3 years. So I decided I would go back to Kaplan in June 2016 prior to the start of the semester. I submitted all documents and kept trying to reach the financial aid office no response.

I need to know how much financial aid I was getting so I could make some provisions if I need to pay some out of pocket. No response. I live in Florida and I see on the website all the grants that Kaplan accepts from Florida. I apply for this grant. I meet the criteria. I was a full time student and I have a 3.4 GPA. I only need to have a 2.0 GPA. I called financial aid almost every other day to find out the status. Every time I called I was being told different stories that they did not participate in this particular grant program or they did participate. I could never get a straight answer. Finally, I called FL Dept of Ed who in fact told me that Kaplan does participate in this particular grant program because they are accepting funds. However, I am still being told by the financial aid office they do not participate in this grant program.

So once again I had to withdraw from school with 6 classes left to get my degree and a $5000 bill. They want to place me on a payment plan that does not fit my budget. SO I am thousands of dollars in debt and no degree. This school sucks, scam artist, they are selling people pipe dreams. Nobody in the financial aid office is knowledgeable. They just want the money. Their students do not matter to them.

I completed all of my classes at Kaplan in 2013, but when it was time for me to graduate it was not happening. What a let down. At first I thought it was a joke but later found out these ** was serious. They let me finish my last class and three weeks after the last class they tell me that I didn't have enough money to pay for my class. What! It was unreal. I don't want anyone to go through that, so don't put yourself through unnecessary heartache. Please run and don't look back. I am so interested in this class action lawsuit.

I went to Kaplan six years ago in CJ then when I tried to return to finish that degree they changed the standards and credits. So now can't finish. So I said transfer credits and I will earn a Bs degree. When they signed me up they knew I wouldn't have enough money to complete the program but I find out I won't have enough money. But they took the payment and was gonna take every last dime of what I had left if I didn't call to make sure again I will have enough. They have taken advantage and they are doing nothing to help me get a degree but draw many loans under my name and I have no degree.

I enjoyed the presentations of the instructors of this program... All were motivating and professional. The problem was not with them but with the amount of material that was required to be mastered in 3 weeks. The program is 4 weeks but that fourth week is 3 days of review for the test, not instruction. Even with the required 100 plus pages of reading a night, online tests, and 6 hour classroom days, the subjects taught couldn't be fully comprehended nor was the majority of national material applicable to either of the two national portions of the state exam that I took!

I completed all coursework and true/false questions which were a guarantee of an 80-90 percent pass rate. The mathematical calculations weren't emphasized at all and we were told not to worry about that as the percent of those problems were very few... There were a number of scenarios on the tests but these weren't really discussed in class. We were told to do the 4 practice ones online. I failed the national portion by one point. I passed the state at a little over 80% which was a surprise. This was my weak area according to Kaplan's coursework testing... but I obviously studied or understood that material.

I retook the National portion 2 days later and passed with a score of a little over 80%. With the level of intensity of this program, and the fact that it was classroom instruction, I expected a higher level of comprehension. My evaluation of this program is that more time is definitely needed to truly understand the material and that Kaplan needs to re-evaluate their program as far as applicable studies to prepare students for the state exam. Having taken the test twice (national portion), I believe I know. I've learned something about real estate but expected more for the nearly $1000 program fee I paid. I could have learned more if instruction had been better presented and more streamlined with more time dedicated to each subject. Disappointing.

I went to Kaplan online to try and advance my education in Nutrition and since I am already a Chef I decided to get my BSNS. What I got was shafted. I got my downloaded books and was only able to attend 2 sessions online with the professor because they had no one available any longer during my class times on my days off. I then withdrew from the class. That was 2011. Now I was contacted from the Department of Education saying I am being garnished for 2600 dollars for classes I never attended. So here is your sign.

I want to warn everyone about Kaplan. My daughter- in-law had to pay back Stafford loans for attending school she never attended. It is a mess. Anyone else had that experience. I see a class action.

Graduated about 2 years ago. Did get into cvs (but only because I knew someone). Found I could not do the job at all. Had to quit. Instructors only care about getting paid. They got the money already so complaints make no difference to them. At one point (I am blind in one eye) and was told "take off the glasses or get out." Miss ** (our instructor) just put the answers on the board and left the room before tests. Scam. Don't waste your money. My daughter also attended the same location and can't get work and she was under the same instructors. I wish I knew who if anyone is handling any lawsuits against kaplan. Me and my daughter will be in... STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL!!!!

I went to Kaplan for a while and time for me to graduate I couldn't because my financial aid was up! Not sure why. I was going for Early Child Development. I can't even finish my school I am in now because I don't have any more loans. I'm just angry.

I have attended Kaplan University since 2013. I have never had an issue until now since supposedly my funds are about to run out (so they say), and they are giving me the runaround about my financial aid. Now I must fill out a document from the tax office stating my income to even be eligible for the funds from financial aid. Instead of mailing me the documents last month (which I just saw on the 20th of June on my account documents), which the financial aid is awarded on July 1st, now I must print off the documents and fax it to them, which I won't be awarded until 5 to 7 business days, after they receive it.

I feel they are ripping me off!!! I have paid 60,000 dollars in tuition fees and now I can not get a certificate or a lesser degree than what I am trying to earn. I feel that they have my $60,000 but I have nothing to show for the money and they do not want to help me get anything. So instead of graduating next year (2017) in August I am out money and no degree and nothing to show for my debt!!!

The Accrediting Council for Independent Schools is finally revoking accreditation for schools that are scamming students. Kaplan University should be included. My brother attended Kaplan University in Des Moines, Iowa for a business degree. The teachers or instructors were local business employees who wanted a second job. Their primary interest was paycheck.

Most days of instruction included smoke breaks, lunch and other non educational activities. While all of this was going on these teacher or instructors were promising the students, who did not ask questions or complain, jobs upon graduation. When students complained to Kaplan Universities they ignored the complaints because after all they already had the tuition and students were left with tens of thousands of dollars of debt. My brother is fifty years old and has over ten thousand dollars of debt and no degree and no job.

First off I would like to say this school is way too expensive, and the so called professors they suck. The learning stinks - it's like it's a huge repeat of the same thing over and over again. Why have discussion boards when you already have seminar??? The financial aid advisors have no clue as to what the hell they are doing or talking about. They are beating the students out the money that we are going to have to pay back. I was suckered into getting an associates degree in medical assisting when I could have gotten a certification in 9 to 12 months.

What a ripoff, and the classes really suck, still had to pay for cpr, 50 dollars for a background check they already had, a flu shot and tb shot just to pass a course on professionalism. Really! I should already know how to be professional on and off the job and what to wear to an interview. I would have had to pick my own dr offices to extern at which is really ridiculous as a school. I'm sure they could have done all of this, I was charged for my footwork. So I switched to psychology to obtain a bachelors instead and this is a true ripoff.

I now have classes that took for medical assisting and passed them in my psychology course. My class credits have went up to 6 credits as if they are not high priced enough. (1855-2226 per class) What a rip off. So I thought about finishing up my medical assisting and lo and behold they discontinued the class. So will those associates degree's in medical assisting hold any weight. So what I am going to do is transfer my credits to a school for medical assisting. I need to leave this made up university. BSU ** University. The school and the staff sucks!!!

First I spoke with Joseph ** back in April 2016. He was helping me enroll with Kaplan University. I had some paperwork that needed to be filled out. He kept constantly lying to me and telling me that he needed my signature to release the type of information that I needed. I get into several email altercations with this man. I spoke to Marcus **. He enrolled me up for classes. He never explained to me what kind of course it was and what I needed for the course. Now I am falling behind in class. Each time I try to get help from the technology center online it is always closed. I just recently spoke with Brenda from the technology center. She does not seem like she knows her job! She told me she was going to call me at 7 pm my time but never called me to help me with downloading software to my computer that I needed for class.

The point I am trying to make is nobody at Kaplan University the staff cares about your education and how much you put time and effort into your work on your own plus not really helpful resources that they have their own line. It's really pissing me off because most of the unit assignments have nothing to do with the seminars or discussions. What does not make sense to me is how could my educational adviser tell me I have to learn everything on my own. That does not make sense that just like me asking a question when I do not understand something and the instructor does not respond which that happens very often with this business.

It is this one teacher that I extremely hate because I feel like there is no way he has been teaching for twelve years! The course he is teaching is already complex but he making the course even harder. He does not make or set examples on the course. All he shows is a Rubric of each assignments like that is going to teach a whole lot and it is not. I been going to Kaplan since this April of this year. To be honest I hate Kaplan - wish I never enrolled myself in the college program because it is a very uncourteous, uncooperative and frustrating university.

I am very disturbed with the Financial Aid Department. I signed up for and received The Every Credit Counts Scholarship ($500 per term). Their website states to fax in unofficial or official transcripts for credits. I did fax my unofficial transcripts in. Now after 3 terms, they tell me that they want official transcripts for the Scholarship to be awarded. There is an issue with yet another university, University of Phoenix with my official transcripts to be transferred. I was told on February 28, 2016 I was approved and awarded the Scholarship and it was being processed.

I was told on March 20, 2016 that no it was not approved and because I didn't have "official transcripts." It has still been on my award letter each time I get one that it was approved. I once again sent them a message last week that I was not receiving this scholarship and they sent a message back that the "processing team was processing the first two terms of $500 each term and to allow 14 days to see an update on my status." It is just a pile of crap excuse to me.

When I first began my journey into my Master of Science in Criminal Justice program online everything was great, all the way to the completion of all my program courses. I did it all while taking care of my terminally ill mother at home full time. Well in Feb 2015 my mom passed and I took a leave for only 6 weeks because I did not want to get too far behind. I made it to the end with a 3.64 GPA, which I was proud of but also mentally exhausted. My next step was to take my Comp exam after a 3 week break. Well I did not realize how much of a mental break I needed until I was on that small break. The requirement for the exam was to write a minimum of 10 pages on 4 different topics in 3 weeks. Once into the exam I struggle with getting back into school mode. Needless to say I came in shy of my 10 page requirement, so I received a grade of failing.

Professor informed me that I had a second chance to take the exam. I needed to get scheduled through registration. I contacted registration and they scheduled me for the next exam that was in 3 more weeks. While waiting, I received an email from a re-enrollment counselor that says he was sorry to see me leave. I told him I have not left. I was scheduled to take the next exam in April. He informed me that the school dropped me for non attendance. I replied, "I was told I failed the exam and was scheduled to retake the exam". This again was where the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing at this school. Once I explain my situation, he says I needed to fill out a forms to re-enroll, pay $125 for it, $50 for another background check because mine expired and I also had to speak with financial aid because I had a $150 balance.

I took out a financial aid loans and I'm trying to figure out why do I have to pay the school $150 to take my exam that I was never told I had to do. After that the counselor calls me back and says I actually need to do an appeal because they actually dismissed me due to me failing the Comp exam. Apparently the rule changed and you now only have one chance to pass the exam but no one but the dean of the school knows this, not even the counselor!!!

So now I have to reapply for FASFA, pay for a new background check, a re-enrollment fee just to retake a darn exam!!! Then to add insult to injury, my counselor won't clear my appeal to be sent in because it's not written well enough and I need to include documentation for instance my mom's death certificate or he does not feel it will pass. I appreciate his guidance but I'm pissed I have to jump through all these hoops to take an exam!! Kaplan is now the worst school ever. I have completed my program courses and all I need to do is take my exam in order to get my degree but they are making it impossible. I have worked through too much not to receive my degree.

I am so beyond done with hearing Kaplan's name. I really do not understand why they are still in business and not been sued by their students. I am so burnt by this university in the same way that most of the students on this site. I started Kaplan in 2007 in hopes of finishing my bachelor's degree that I had started at the University of Alabama. Being a new mom and a non-traditional student Kaplan admission advisors did a good job baiting innocent students in started their degrees and getting into such "high paying" jobs. What BS! Then they sell you on their financial aid, why not? If only you would know how they will be scamming you pretty much in your last term, you would NEVER sign up for this school.

Long story short, I started my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice and every time I had a change in concentration i.e. from Forensic Psych to Juvenile Justice, they gave me a new degree plan adding a couple of extra USELESS courses just to get their money. They added a new program called International and Comparative Criminal Justice which of course in my mind was a great degree considering the current situation in this country. Sure enough, I changed my program but did not need to change classes. Instead of having my courses transfer over they gave me YET a new degree plan and ADDED courses I DID NOT NEED TO TAKE!! Anytime I wanted a class it was 'conveniently' not offered in that term and since I was a full time FINAID student, I couldn't sit the term out and ended up taking classes I did NOT need.

Sure enough, my last term I log in to class only to find out that I was blocked out due to a STUDENT BALANCE... Are you kidding me??? A freaking balance? For what?? Every time I call they transferred me to yet another CLUELESS advisor. I NEVER got an explanation of charges and was NEVER told of any out of pocket expense... Heck I was not even told as a FIRST TIME financial aid student that I had a certain amount allotted towards my bachelors degree. What kind of ADVISING is that? I feel sorry for so many other students including the current ones. Please DO NOT GET FOOLED. Kaplan is a big SCAM!!! Now they won't release my official transcripts and have a hold on my account? What a joke!

I will say this much. I had some wonderful professors, LOVED THEM and I hope they have quit by now, in fact I bet they have because no one wants to be associated with KAPLAN. The only true employee Kaplan has ever had was my first advisor Sheree **, who was/is my angel. Love her and I wish she told me what a nightmare I would face but now I understand why she quit. However, BEST counselor any school can have. Please KAPLAN NEEDS TO GO AND ALL STUDENTS NEED TO REIMBURSE FOR THE MENTAL ANGUISH!!!

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

With a 76 year history and one million students each year, Kaplan University has an established reputation as an exceptional educational provider.

• Degree programs: Many online colleges only offer certificate or associate degree programs, but Kaplan University goes to a bachelor's degree and beyond.
  • Advanced degrees: If you already have a bachelor's degree and want to pursue your masters, Kaplan has several programs available.
  • On campus option: While possibly best known for their online and distance learning programs, Kaplan has nearly 400 campus locations in 25 countries.
  • Regional accreditation: Not every program is regionally accredited, but Kaplan makes it easy to find out which course of study meets those requirements by putting accreditation information front and center on their website.
  • Nationally accredited certifications: For those looking for direct entry or continuing education opportunities, Kaplan has a range of accredited certification programs across several industries.
  • Best for New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Compare Online Colleges