3.54/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Kaplan

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 30, 2017

447 Kaplan University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I thought that Kaplan would be the best school to attend. I get my BS done with them and can't find a job in the area. Then I get my MS in Addiction Counseling and still cannot find employment. I am over 80,999 in the hole with student loans from this school. Have no help with that other than they want their money. I am a mother that is not working because no one in this state wants to deal with Kaplan and their drama.

My internship person said that he would never deal with this college ever again. They are a waste of time and management. I thought about going back but after seeing that I would not get anywhere with this college degree there is no point. There is no help with a degree. I know that I cannot get a job as a licensed psychologist when they don't help you with finding a job in your field. I asked about the lawsuit against them because there is no way anyone can pay 1053 a month for a loan repayment on a degree that they can't get anywhere with. Also the interest rates are horrible with this college. The next time I do college I will go into the central community college. At least I won't be screwed with.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I have been a student of Kaplan University since 1/1/16 finishing a bachelors in NURSING and have been quite satisfied. The admissions, financial aid, advisers and instructors were wonderful. However, the MASTERS program not so HOT. Since I started the MSN program before the end of the 2016/2017 year my loans have already been disbursed. With the Masters program the loan limit is increased for grad school. I registered 1 class as instructed. 1800.00 for the class. 3 weeks in I noticed my loans were not complete. The brilliant financial aid department (and I mean sarcastically) informed me "it's ok don't worry your information is processing". 3 weeks go by loans still not process. Everyone clueless with no answers. Could not figure out what was wrong.

One girl was smart and said "oh... the problem is you have been overpaid on your loans not of my fault, and we can't release your information until either A. You pay the balance or B. Reaffirm your loans". What in the heck... so that day I called loan papers sent within a few hours signed and sent back. 3 weeks later 3 calls and each a different story. In short... it is 6 days before this class ends I still show a balance with threatening block noticed from financial aid of lack of payment and they just today sent my reaffirmation papers they have had for 3 weeks. The loan department cannot expedite the process to release my loans. Now my class will end in delinquent status and no registration for next term till paid. I am beyond angry. Once paid I will be transferring to South. This school does not have it together. Very sad???

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 6, 2017

When I first started at this school I was impressed with how personable the instructors actually were. It was nice to have instructors actually treat the students like people. However, my most recent experiences with Kaplan has been anything but ideal. The site goes down quite frequent and just today while trying to log into my classes I learned that my name was not on the list of names for the class, so maybe in 24-48 hours later I can access it. Mind you I have a full time job, two children and spouse. Taking 2 almost three because of the dilemma I had last night trying to access the class can really cause a dent in this. I am not happy with this school and hope that my review can steer at least one person from this school. It's not worth it even though the instructors are good, it's the academic advisors and getting to the class that is the issue. Terrible school, wish I would have known prior to starting with them.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I am in the Master of Management degree program with Kaplan with an emphasis in Human Resources. I will be graduating in August of 2017. I love the way that the online program is easy to maneuver even with their recent changes in connecting with Purdue University which will give it more prestige. Overall, the instructors, classes and assignments were good. The only thing that I did not like was the high emphasis on working in teams. I think that we pay too much money for our work to be based upon if someone did their portion of an assignment.

Team projects are good if you are actually meeting face-to-face, but to have virtual teams where everyone is on different time zones all across the world is very challenging. My last few classes, however, I was fortunate to not have to have any teams. Another issue that I would think Kaplan will change is their not having direct deposit for student refunds. Who mail paperchecks in the 21st century? I have seen where this has been a major complaint with students, and rightfully so, that Kaplan has refused to offer direct deposit for its students.

This is something that maybe they will change now that they will become Purdue University. I believe Purdue offers direct deposit for its students, so I am assuming the Kaplan will have to follow suit due to their union. Overall, the experience with Kaplan has been a good one and I wish all who attend in the future much success.

Original review: June 12, 2017

My last 2 terms I have had a professor who long story short was just absolutely was annoying and I would mute her and teach myself. When your professor bounces on an exercise ball all class long and speaks like Minnie Mouse, you lose it. I was about to have her a 3rd term and reached out to my advisor to see if there was a different professor to teach the class or other options. Yeah! I could take a different class. I had to get permission from the dean, granted and receive an 85 or higher. No problem, My grades have been excellent and I did not see any problem with the class I was about to take, it was a Word class. Should I fail the class, I will have to take the class with Professor Minnie Mouse, no ifs and or buts. Rest assured, I was set out to pass this class with flying colors!

Well, I am into week 4 and already failing. Not failing the homework, that I am passing on with flying colors, no quizzes in this class. It is the seminars - it is entirely a new way to log in. You have to log into one site for the attendance credit and another for the seminar. Now mind you, I have been here 2 years, I am done in Oct and have never had a seminar like this and my other class is not set up this way. While there are things that I do love about it, if you miss the attendance section, even though the professor knows you are there and has acknowledged that you are there (in writing) you miss all the points. I screen shot to the professor and my advisor as well as tech support that I was logged into both sites per my browsing history... apparently this is not good enough for them.

What are my options? Ask the professor for an incomplete, she has to provide it, still left with paying for this class and take the Minnie Mouse class and pay for that too. Kaplan has stated that the professor can change the grade, she will not and they are not willing to back me on the other problem I have had with the grading from her - she makes up her own grading system as she goes - swell! Nothing like finally being at the end and Kaplan screws you over to get more money out of you. Personally, I believe and feel that the advisor and dean went to the professor and told her what was going on from day 1 - ANYONE ELSE HEARING UNETHICAL?! Save your money and go to a different school, PLEASE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan?

Original review: June 1, 2017

It was very easy for me to enroll at Kaplan University. Thought it would be longer but it was a fast process. I paid my tuition up front but you can divide up the payments which is nice to fit your budget. It's easy to engage and so far no problems. It's very good for online classes. Lots of courses to choose from. Not too expensive, just right for my budget and I can pursue the studies I'm interested in. Good courses. You can get online help which is nice. I can choose the hours I want and with my schedule, it worked out great. I'm not quite done with my courses yet but I get to take my time with it. Don't like being rushed.

The courses are helpful to me. I'm enjoying my online courses because I know I'm bettering myself. And makes me feel proud that I'm accomplishing something. Never was very good in high school but I find these classes easy to understand. But I really wish they had a good course on veterinary science because I love animals and would love to pursue a part time job doing this. But Kaplan does offer a lot of other courses. I wish I could get a little more help at night but they're mostly available in the daytime hours. Also, I do wish it was a little bit cheaper.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I would like a good business program and that is easy access. Is also good that at least be at least 50% classroom and have a flexible schedule and if possible classes from Friday to Sunday in the morning. Class schedules should be at least 4 hours a day for at least two days a week and the intensive course would be good for a duration of at least 6 months of classes, as well as the university supporting the course with a valid certificate to work and recognized by the national education.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I found the online platform extremely easy to adjust to. It allowed me to do the courses when I had the time to no matter what time of day it was. And for the most part, the courses I've taken are hit and miss, some are helpful and others, not so much. I loved the fact that all the assignments were given on the first day of class. The reason this was important to me was because it gave me the opportunity to work ahead of the rest of the class if I wanted or needed to. I also liked that the professors were very quick to respond even if you were further along in the class than where the rest of the class was. I would lower the cost, because even though it is an excellent program, jobs are not always available after graduation. I know I haven't even finished my degree yet and I'm already sitting at a substantial amount of money that needs to be re-paid.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Kaplan University is an okay school. They have resources for students who needs extra help like tutoring, but you'll have to seek out the help if needed. It is a for profit school so if you can't pay for your classes then I suggest taking a break or you'll end up being blocked from classes and still having to pay for the weeks you did attend. Some instructors are very helpful and there are some that just do the minimum so I suggest looking up the instructor before taking the class. The classes is challenging but not overwhelming. You just have to keep up and try not to fall behind. The online environment is good. You have a lot of support through the class.

Original review: May 30, 2017

It is a little hard. I must spend more time to study this classes and more questions to ask. It is very convenience for me and do not need go to the location. The important thing is more cheaper. Something new taught to me. I think it needs more efficient for talk and more detail for class.

Original review: May 30, 2017

The internet platform used is very intuitive and user friendly. It is very easy to get into and understand the layout and what is going on, and this matters because everything you do will stem from there. Also, all of your records are easy to find and view or print. The classes themselves are far too easy. It does not feel like you are learning as much as you should, and the material they do teach you seems like it is simply driven to pass the exams. However, the interactive "classrooms" are short, and on several occasions the professor did not show up, and there was no explanation given. When you did have class, there were far too many students, so you usually could not participate. The platform is very straightforward, and you are usually 1 or 2 clicks away from anything that you would be looking for. You are required to participate in the discussion boards every week as part of your grade.

Original review: May 29, 2017

The process of enrolling and taking courses is very easy and never have any problems. It is easy to engage with the online platform. The course are very helpful and easy to use now. It has the unique features and good online programs for us. The features are all helpful and fits us very well.

Original review: May 28, 2017

With Kaplan, we have more time for everything to study, work and to be dependent on our home is a very common method. You meet people online and you can do the work in groups, it is very didactic this method of studying. The method of evaluating a little is things that gradually improve as well as users, although there are things that are needed more practice everything that applies is good. The enrollment method is easy. Enter the main page you are looking for what you are going to study. You fill out your forms, you make your payment and you are ready in contacts with the teachers.

Original review: May 27, 2017

Kaplan University is very convenience for me and do not need go to the location. The important thing is more cheaper. Something new taught to me, but it needs more efficient for talk and more detail for class. Also, it is a little hard to enroll. I must spend more time to study these classes and more questions to ask.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Great online courses but they need more associate degrees. Also I had an issue with credit transfers, they should definitely accept more credits and take into account life experiences. The online platform was very easy and very well put together, I never had any issues. There were no major bugs in the software and my wifi reception didn't have to be perfect in order for the software to work. However, they shouldn't require students to stay in school for the year round semesters. Burnout is a huge issue especially for students working full-time and going to school at the same time.

Original review: May 25, 2017

It was very easy to learn here. They offered really great classes and fit my schedule. The courses have been very helpful to me. It was very simple to engage in the courses and the online platform. I also really enjoyed all of the professors as they were willing to help as well as motivate you. However, I wish they could put you in connection with jobs after you complete the program and earn your degree. This is a downfall. I have had my degree now for 7 years and have yet to use it. Although I have not found a job in this field, I am confident that I will find one in the future.

Original review: May 25, 2017

The main thing I like about Kaplan is the flexibility. It is for people like me who have jobs and have families and are further along in life. I like that it is online and you can take as many or as few classes as you need. I also like that the classes are things I will actually be doing in my career!

Original review: May 24, 2017

The process is simple and my courses are accurately aligned. I can still be at home while participating in class session and working on assignments. I like the online communicator, the professor quick response to an inquiry, I can turn my report in with ease, I don't have to use my gas, I can do all my work at home. However, sometimes the workload could be overwhelming and the communication is not always clear of how the process should be. Also, the tone of message can be unclear.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Enrolling was very easy. I truly enjoyed online college. Being able top do it online, saving on my vehicle and gas, vs going to a university campus. I could pick and choose what I wanted to take as an elective and the hours of what was for each class. Being able to have a book in front of you as well as being online and talking to the teacher and classmates via a online classroom.

Original review: May 23, 2017

It is very easy to enroll and register for courses. The courses are beneficial to my career. Courses are interesting, varied and relevant. It is easy to use the online format. It is a great program for adults who need to be able to schedule classes at a convenient time. The program is easy to tailor to an individual's pace and schedule. The professors are leaders in their field, good and knowledgeable. It is a really great program.

Original review: May 22, 2017

I like Kaplan because I can do my classes on my time schedule and from the comforts of home. I am not distracted from in class problems like chicks and other things. I can focus solely on my work and study and do exams in complete serenity. I like every aspect of what online schooling has to offer. It makes me a better person and gives me insight into myself that I didn't know I had. It gives me confidence and pride when I tell people I am in college learning a valuable trade. The enrollment process was easy and the courses have been helpful. First I saw a commercial for Kaplan, then I called the number, set up an interview, signed paperwork with electronic signature after choosing courses and getting approved for a grant. Then my schedule was generated on the classes I will take and I started on the start date.

Original review: May 21, 2017

It was easy enough to attend the classes. The courses themselves were only as continuing education as I was already gainfully employed in the courses I was studying in. I liked the flexibility of being able to go to attend classes that fit my schedule but feel that I missed something not being able to attend a physical class. However, the amount of money it cost to sit behind a computer is astronomical. I don't believe it should cost that much if you're not going to a physical class.

Original review: May 21, 2017

The process of enrolling and taking courses are both very easy to complete.They are very easy to engage with the online platform and make everything easier and quicker. All the features are very easy to use and I never meet any problems when I use them. I really know how to use them and they are very helpful. The price for me is very good and it provides us so many reliable information about programs.

Original review: May 20, 2017

Enrolling was easy. It make the transition really, really smooth and all the info online was all posted and easily found by anyone. Learn at your own pace and test at your speed was very great for me. I can study on my own time and away from work. Also, I can plan and play how I like spend time with friends when needed and work when I need to.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Enrolling into classes was very easy. Although it makes me feel that everyone that applies get in to take classes. Almost like a money grab. I bet most don't finish the degree. Still, I like the flexible program so I can keep my job and earn a masters. Also deferred payment status so my company will pay for classes once I receive my grades. I also like trimesters instead of just 2 semesters. However, some professors take too long to respond to quizzes, exams and questions. Many are helpful but others seems to have too many students. Grading seems fair but easier than my undergraduate school.

Original review: May 19, 2017

Kaplan University was easy all the way from the start. Their website was the most helpful part of the total enrollment process. Any questions you might encounter can be found in their website. Enrollment was very easy to complete and was understood. The instructions were also easy to follow. Plus, the course selection was informative and outstanding for the online courses I was interested in taking. Most importantly was the freedom to complete the courses at your time most available to you.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I didn't like the online program at all. I saw an advertisement that stated that I could go at my own pace so I called and asked about it. But when I signed up, I was lied to. I failed classes as I had requested incompletes and those requests were ignored. It is hard to contact the instructors. Also a lot of classes it is hard to take a course entire online. It has been a long time since I've taken these courses. Never again will I take another online course with Kaplan, they made me pay for all of those failed classes that was their fault.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Everything is great. Easy to engage with online platform. All the courses were great and helpful. Great prices too. Outstanding offers and services. Saves time and money, and easy to follow and do whenever is possible and convenience. They have great tools to use online. It is also easy to manage account and resume study and follow the schedule.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I found it very easy to sign up and get started with taking my classes online and also to receive the literature that helped to aid me in my education as well as they have referrals that help to get jobs and get you started and on your way to achieving your career goals. It's a great and caring school that is all about making it easier to study and get work done. It's not so expensive that's unaffordable but its accessible and affordable with college courses that are accredited. They are awesome. They are always adding better and newer features that help the learning process and communicating with the staff and faculty members.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Admission process is very simple and take some time to create account. No problem in getting the admission. Also, it's convenient to learn online courses help to save time and spend time somewhere else. It's good and easy.

Kaplan expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With a 76 year history and one million students each year, Kaplan University has an established reputation as an exceptional educational provider.

• Degree programs: Many online colleges only offer certificate or associate degree programs, but Kaplan University goes to a bachelor's degree and beyond.
    • Advanced degrees: If you already have a bachelor's degree and want to pursue your masters, Kaplan has several programs available.
    • On campus option: While possibly best known for their online and distance learning programs, Kaplan has nearly 400 campus locations in 25 countries.
    • Regional accreditation: Not every program is regionally accredited, but Kaplan makes it easy to find out which course of study meets those requirements by putting accreditation information front and center on their website.
    • Nationally accredited certifications: For those looking for direct entry or continuing education opportunities, Kaplan has a range of accredited certification programs across several industries.
    • Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs