2.27/5
Based on 11 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Kaplan University School of Nursing

Kaplan University offers Nursing degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s levels. Read more Kaplan University reviews to learn about other degree programs offered. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

12 Kaplan University School of Nursing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2018

I really like that Kaplan University understands the importance of working around my schedule with my work and family to help me finish my degree. They also give you three weeks without any obligation to see if it is the right university for you and I continued with my nursing. But when I first signed up I felt like it could have been more students on the webpage telling their stories how Kaplan helped them. Other than that, I will be taking another course and got to get my plan in motion but I know they will be there. Kaplan has been here every step of the way and I feel like they care about my family and my goals to succeed.

Original review: April 18, 2018

My experience with this program were great. I was able to pick the times of my classes and I had ample time to get my tasks done. My instructors were very helpful and intelligent. I liked that I was able to talk with an admissions counselor over the phone and get the courses that were good for me. The program was fast, fun and easy to accomplish with the help of other students and the instructors. The program was great and I would take another one when I am ready. But, I would prefer to be able to have more class times available, like during the night.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 8, 2018

Kaplan's program prepared me for what I needed to succeed in the nursing field. It gave me a hands-on education as well as great classes to learn in. The curriculum was advanced and tough but didn't make it impossible to graduate from. I would recommend this curriculum to anyone who wants to get involved in the field of nursing. Kaplan gives you all the right tools to get ahead in the nursing world.

Original review: April 7, 2018

My overall experience is good. I love the fact that I am able to get off from work and be able to take a shower and then just sit at my computer and go to school. I also like the fact that there is a forum for the students to have something like study hall. I like the time frame in which we have things done. They have some things that could improve, but you would get that with even a course that was not online. I don't like the time it takes for the professor to get back to you by email and also, how long it takes for the professor to post grades. Moreover, I don't like the fact that when dealing with Financial Aid office I'm not able to look at the person and to get my answers right then and there. It can be challenging sometimes. However, I would recommend online class to anyone who has to work and take care of a family.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I have been a student of Kaplan University since 1/1/16 finishing a bachelors in NURSING and have been quite satisfied. The admissions, financial aid, advisers and instructors were wonderful. However, the MASTERS program not so HOT. Since I started the MSN program before the end of the 2016/2017 year my loans have already been disbursed. With the Masters program the loan limit is increased for grad school. I registered 1 class as instructed. 1800.00 for the class. 3 weeks in I noticed my loans were not complete. The brilliant financial aid department (and I mean sarcastically) informed me "it's ok don't worry your information is processing". 3 weeks go by loans still not process. Everyone clueless with no answers. Could not figure out what was wrong.

One girl was smart and said "oh... the problem is you have been overpaid on your loans not of my fault, and we can't release your information until either A. You pay the balance or B. Reaffirm your loans". What in the heck... so that day I called loan papers sent within a few hours signed and sent back. 3 weeks later 3 calls and each a different story. In short... it is 6 days before this class ends I still show a balance with threatening block noticed from financial aid of lack of payment and they just today sent my reaffirmation papers they have had for 3 weeks. The loan department cannot expedite the process to release my loans. Now my class will end in delinquent status and no registration for next term till paid. I am beyond angry. Once paid I will be transferring to South. This school does not have it together. Very sad???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan University School of Nursing?

Original review: April 4, 2017

My question is why if leaving Kaplan University in Maine two years worth of credits in nursing to transfer into another college they do not accept any of their credits? My daughter is repeating courses she has already taken with Kaplan with a community college, such a waste of time and money. It's so unfair to these students. Concerned parent.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

Originally enrolled in the Medical Assisting Associates program. I transferred to the Bachelor of Health in Health Science in Sept 2015. I decided to transfer back to the MA program to finish my associates with the plan of going onto get my BSN when I was done. I spoke with my advisor about this, he felt this was a good option. So, after I transfer back and continued the MA journey I find out that I had been enrolled in a certificate program and they had discontinued the associates program. So, I've spent almost 2 years to get a certificate when I really should be getting an associate degree. No one ever told me that they were changing the associates to a certificate program. When I spoke to my advisor about this, he apologized and said they don't have the program anymore so I can't get my associates. I've done almost two years worth of work to get an associates and I'm only being given a certificate.

THEN upon completing the MA program, I took the HESI exam to get into the BSN program, did my entrance interview with the Dean of Nursing, and passed my drug screen. When I went to meet with financial aid I was told that I would have to pay about $20,000 out of pocket because I will be over my aggregate limit. Couldn't someone have told me this before when I transferred back to the MA program?? My advisor has known my plan all along. Even when I signed up in 2014, I told them I wanted to get my BSN. I was told that wouldn't be a problem.

Right now, I'm at $27,000 in debt with school loans, I owed about $13,000 before I transferred to Kaplan. Per a Kaplan financial aid advisor, based on loans alone, you will run out of loan funding in 1803C, the July 2018 term leaving you three terms to cover without the use of loan funds. You will also have a financial gap in award years two and three. In total, this comes to $19,949 out of pocket. So, if the max aggregate limit is $57,500 and I'm expected to pay $19,949 out of pocket, it seems a bit pricey ($77,449 minus the $13,000 I previously owed = $64,449 for a little over 4 years of school). It's not even the price that I'm upset about, why didn't someone tell me this before? That I wouldn't have enough financial aid to complete. Now, I've lost my associates which I've worked my butt off for and I can't even continue my schooling.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2015

I started Kaplan almost two years ago and was due to graduate in the fall. I decided I wanted to change my degree program to nursing. I have to start off in CNA courses then take a test to move on. In order to do that I had to switch colleges. My current transcript from Kaplan was sent to Hawkeye Community College. When reviewing the transcript, I was informed that Kaplan was not an accredited school. I have borrowed a lot of money for student loans that I will have to pay back for nothing. I was never told by the school that online was not accredited. Now I have to spend more money on a student loan for classes that I have already taken. I'm pretty ticked off by the whole situation and thinking about calling a lawyer.

Original review: July 29, 2015

Back in 2007, suddenly finding myself single and in my mid forties, I wanted to go back to school to find a career I could support myself and be proud of myself. So after seeing ads on TV for Texas School of Business, a Kaplan University, many times I finally decided to go by and check it out. I toured the school and by the end of the tour the counselor had done her job well, I was sold. I originally graduated from school in England way back in 1976, when everything was done snail mail and microfiche. I had a hard time getting my records, but I did and forwarded them onto the school. I went through the financial aid. I did not qualify for any special grants or loans unlike many of the students who enrolled so it was all going to fall on me to repay. But according the counselors and financial aid I would make a good living and would have no difficulty paying back the loans. So I went ahead.

When I started back there were 24 in my class, 9 graduated. They dropped like flies with excuses such as it's too hard, my boyfriend doesn't want to be here. I busted my tail, I worked all day, got home long enough to change my clothes, run the dog around the block before getting in my car and heading to school for 4 hours a night Monday through Thursday. I studied hard, I made great grades, I constantly was on the director's and president's lists for my grades. When I graduated it was with a 3.94GPA. I was sure I would be able to obtain a great job. Part of the graduation process is you do an externship, but when the time came they didn't have anywhere to place me. Eventually they placed me for my in-house experience with a massage company. I had to request another assignment as this didn't help me at all.

Then they put me in a pain management clinic, which there was no area for on hand experience. Anyway I did my time. Finally in December 2008 I graduated. I applied for hundreds of jobs and only got hired at St Lukes in Duluth MN. By this time I was 14000 in student loan debt. What anybody failed to tell me was my earning capacity wasn't anything like they promised. I would work my backside off for 12.00 an hr. After rent, gas, food, and just general day to day living I didn't have anything left over to pay my loans.

I asked for an extension which was granted. But even with that I had a hard time making ends meet; my student loan fell by the wayside. I called to see what I could do, but now I had graduated nobody wanted to speak to me, to turn up at the school they scattered like flies. I ended up quitting the nursing profession (medical assisting) because I could not support myself on the earnings I was making at that time. So I left the profession and moved to Texas to try and find a job where I could again support myself and pay off student loans which are now in default and I am not even sure who owns them now.

I regret going back to school and taking on such a heavy toll on student loans. I am a single woman and support myself. These are on my credit, they have been sold, resold to the point I don't know who has them now. The only thing I know for certain is they will never go away unless I win the lottery, and you don't win unless you play. I am now 56 years old with a diploma I can't afford to utilize.

Original review: July 10, 2014

Originally, I started at University of Phoenix for a Bachelors in Healthcare Administration. I became dissatisfied due to the five-week curriculum, and decided to enroll at Kaplan, because of the ten-week classes. I figured, I could retain more information with ten weeks, and a weekly seminar because after all I am paying for my education.

The admissions person who enrolled me gave me so much different information than what their policies are. It seemed all she wanted to do was enroll me "fast" and didn't really give me time to think. Anyway, I enrolled. They took some of my credits from my previous nursing school degree, but wouldn't accept University of Phoenix. Now, I had requested transcripts from UoP, never opened, and she said that that was acceptable... NOT! Well down the line I decided to take the "Portfolio Assessment" class that takes credits off due to life experiences, previous credits, etc. I had asked one of my "multiple" advisors that if I took this class would it affect any of my credits, and would I still have enough to reach the 180 towards the degree. I was "assured" multiple times that everything was fine, I was on the right track, etc. My GPA was high every term, Dean's List and President's list, and I was even able to take three classes at once because of this.

So I take this Portfolio Assessment class, do well, and my graduation is closer than before I took the class. Now, I am finally in my Bachelor's Capstone class, and I notice I'm short two credits. I call one of my "multiple" advisors, and again reassured that I have nothing to worry about, the "other" grades haven't caught up in the system yet! Bull-crap, because it's not the number that I am getting! So, again I call the advisor who keeps reassuring me that it's a mistake on their part, and I have enough to graduate. Well I didn't, and now that I am in default with my loans, and yes, I owe Kaplan money as well because my undergraduate loans ran out. They are being very nasty, and making every excuse in the world to avoid me for the last two years.

I called them the other day, and because I "owe" them money, which by the way is in collections, they won't even help!!! The man I spoke to told me he would send an email. Guess what... no email ever came, and now they are ringing my phone off the hook!!!! I have never in my life dealt with the most unorganized, belligerent bunch of people that call themselves "professionals"! All I want is my two credits that I am owed!!! This is affecting me from gaining employment, and returning back to school to complete my nursing degree!!

I vow I will tell people to stay away from Kaplan University, and really research these online schools. I have contacted the student loan departments that have told me, "Unfortunately, we see this happen with these online colleges all the time!" Ok, so why are you financing them without thoroughly seeing what they are doing to people just trying to better themselves!!!! I am just thoroughly disgusted, and very angry with these "thieves!" A few of my friends tell me to contact an attorney, but I don't even know if anything would help anymore! Stay away from them. They just lie, lie, lie!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2013

I attended Kaplan Career Institute in Kenmore Square for medical assistant. The institute was investigated by the Attorney General here in Massachusetts. Needless to say, the school closed due to overcharging students, not doing what they promise and God knows what else. I was torn between the med assistant and the dental assistant program. Of course, admissions talked me out of the dental assistant which is actually an accredited program; however later, I found out that admissions got more kickbacks for getting more MA students. They lied to me about the pay that an MA makes. They did nothing to help look for a job.

So needless to say, it was the worst education mistake I made. I've gone to college prior to this so I should have known better. Anyway, since I felt violated by the school and felt it was a waste of time, I figured let me check out the university online that advertises RN programs online. Maybe I could transfer the credits into something worthwhile and actually get a job. Well, it took me quite some time to get someone on the phone and when I did, the women told me they don't offer online nursing programs. Sorry for the false advertisement, she says. Really? Since the MA program closed for violations, why should I pay them? I feel I should owe them nothing.

Original review: May 12, 2010

I attended Kaplan College for the LVN program (12-month program). I was already halfway done when the Director of Nursing was moved to another Kaplan campus. Our new D.O.N was an elderly woman with signs of Alzheimer’s. She was rude and inexperienced and was not all there. Long story short, I was at a clinical site on a Monday and was physically attacked by another student. I was kicked out of the nursing program and the other student just got suspended for two days! Note: the student had 4 other witnesses present and one of them broke my phone; I only had one witness.

Why in the world would they kick me out? Why? Because the other student had bruising on her knees when her fat ** fell from trying to grab me. I didn't have any marks so they automatically assumed I instigated the fight. Other note: I am a minority and the other girls are not. I am in the process of a lawsuit with this school. What they did to me affected me emotionally and financially. I will not let this slide. They "think" they messed up my chance of a great career but I refuse to cry about it. I will take legal matters and I will transfer to another school. This incident will not stop me from achieving my goal!

Kaplan University School of Nursing expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The Kaplan University School of Nursing is designed around working nurses who have to manage their family and job schedules. From various nursing certificates to a doctorate in Nursing Practice, Kaplan can help nurses advance their careers and further their education.

• Nursing programs: Kaplan offers online bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees in nursing as well as various nursing certificates. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) is for registered nurses looking to obtain a degree. It is 90 credits at $315 per credit. The Masters of Science in Nursing is 60 credit hours at $385 per credit. Kaplan’s Doctor of Nursing Practice is 60 credits at $700 per credit. Students can check online for details on curriculum, program length and start dates for each program.

• Accreditation: Kaplan University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Their nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), the Iowa Board of Nursing, the Maine State Board of Nursing and the Nebraska Board of Nursing.

• Tuition and financial aid: Total tuition and fees will depend on the desired nursing program. The Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) tuition is $28,350. The Master's of Science in Nursing tuition is $23,100, and the Doctorate in Nursing Practice tuition is $42,000. Students with transfer credits will save the most on tuition. Kaplan offers financial aid, including grants, scholarships and loans.

• Admissions: Interested students can complete an information request form and speak with an admission advisor who will help them through each step of the admissions process. Potential students will then complete an interview with their admissions advisor to discuss goals and programs. Candidates can go online to see a list of required documents for admission into each nursing program.

• Academic support: Kaplan offers a variety of academic support resources for current students. Students have access to an online library, academic support centers and career planning services.

• Best for: current nurses who want to advance their career and education opportunities.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs