3.45/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 23, 2017

39 Kaplan Test Prep Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have used all USMLE Qbank with this company. Therefore as a returning customer, I am very disappointed by the way they deal with customer request and concern. You can see that they are only out there to make money and nothing else. Customer satisfaction is the least of their worries or concerns. Very arrogant agent on the phone... Watch out for your credit card for you might get charged twice or more and if you don't catch it yourself, you will end up paying twice for the product you are buying. Be aware... Use UWorld, it is better anyway.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

LSAT Prep: Do NOT be suckered into this course. The course did not prepare me for the test and in fact I did better on the diagnostic test, without having any instruction from Kaplan, than I did own the test. The logic and reasoning preparation in the Kaplan materials were almost nothing like the actual test. I did well on the Kaplan practice tests, but nothing taught by Kaplan materials was like the actual test. They gave no tips, advice, or materials that helped prepare for the reading comprehension section that I couldn't have found looking at a few sites online. Kaplan is a huge waste of money - - the program essentially steals more nearly $1200 plus hours of your time for NOTHING.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I signed my son up for an in-person ACT prep class 6 months ago. As of today, it has been cancelled a total of 4 times at the last minute and they have offered to replace it with a live-online version. At nearly $700, I don't want an online version. Now it's too late. I have no doubt after reading other reviews that this is a scheme they run regularly. Find another company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Unfortunately, I think that Kaplan is the master of bait and switch. Signed up for a live class well in advance, Kaplan cancelled with six days' notice. Offers an online only class for the exact times and price. Less overhead for them and they have you because they cancel on such short notice you can’t find another class with another company right away. Run from Kaplan SAT prep!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I enrolled my son in the unlimited SAT/ACT class offering. They have cancelled every in person course he was enrolled in. They refuse to offer even a partial refund and are rude when I call them to complain. I strongly advise parents to select a different provider and under no conditions purchase the unlimited option if you want to provide a in person experience or proctored practice test.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kaplan Test Prep?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

We enrolled our son for ACT unlimited prep program, however Kaplan canceled all in person classes in our area. We asked for the portion of tuition refund because they were not offering any ACT classes in future as well. We tried to enroll him in their online ACT classes, but it required additional charges on top of what we had paid. In conclusion, we received 2 set of practice books for $1249. Their refund policy is not stated anywhere on their website, and nothing about cancellations.

Original review: June 9, 2017

I first went online and checked out several online universities. I looked at the courses offered, what assistance was offered and cost. Picked the college, signed up online and went on gov grant site to qualify for a grant for the college. Kaplan Test Prep was easy to use, very simple to find the information needed for particular studies, and they also have many resources to use outside their website for help in my studies. But if they tied in more of other websites that offered similar assistance it would broaden my ability to find any and all resources needed and allow more cross references to confirm the answers I'm looking for.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Kaplan Medcap prep sessions prepared me very well for the medical Medcap test. This particular prep session materials were highly recommended and I'm glad I listened to my peers in using this one. I loved the prep materials Kaplan's Medcap provided in this version. The prep questions in this were very relevant to what is on the test. The same terminology was used in both the prep and the test. This was very easy to register. Although the classes are few and far between in my demographic area.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I liked preparing for this entrance test as it helped me a great deal in scoring well on the subsequent exam so I would definitely encourage anyone to pursue taking a practice exam before actually taking your college exams as it does prepare you and ultimately you will do better with preparation. I enrolled both online and in person for my classes for my college tenure as a student and I probably enjoyed the classes I enrolled in person more because I was able to put a physical location like a classroom and the instructor with the class I was taking so that made it more real for me. I did not like the amount of time required to study for college exams as there are different sections of math and reading which can be grouped into subsets of comprehension and punctuation and overall reading ability and word knowledge which do not actually measure one's true IQ overall and it is deceptive in that way.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I took the classes online. It was very easy to register and they helped increase my MCAT score. It was very easy to find any and all online practice tests and had easy to follow instruction on how to do so. There are comprehensive and helpful information for all of the MCAT sections. The study books provided all of the extensive information required to perform sufficiently on the MCAT exam. Still, I would like to see the incorporation of more complete practice exams both online and within the study books.

Original review: June 2, 2017

They are confident and strategic in preparing me for the information that is to be included on the test. I personally took all of the preparation courses and preparation exams online. It was extremely convenient and easy to use. I used my free time late nights and on weekends to achieve this. I felt thoroughly prepared after completing the course and taking multiple practice exams. The classes were EXTREMELY helpful, I don't know how I would have scored without taking them. I feel that the price is extremely high, although the outcome more than justifies the means. Almost Two-Thousand Dollars for test preparation is very expensive for the average students who struggle enough to get by financially every day. But I think anyone looking for QUALITY help should most definitely consider this as a legitimate possible way to guarantee that you get a better score.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I took classes online not in person. It was quite easy to register and find classes. The classes were quite helpful as well. Prepared me for some of the material I needed for the test. I liked the fact that it was easy to get the material down and very easy to understand. Very straight to the point and it has helped improve my grade as I could tell. I'm very glad I took the classes and took the time to study, review, and learn the materials provided for me to pass and understand the test. I'm very pleased to have taken the classes of Kaplan's program.

Original review: May 31, 2017

The enrollment process went pretty smooth and I had no problems with the test prepping. As far as it was done online, it was easy to use and sign up. The classes were helpful and there was help and online live help. I had more positive than any negative about this test prep.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I liked the concept of the MCAT prep course I took for the Kaplan Test Prep. They helped me a lot when it came to the real situation. It provided all of the information I needed for the real test. All of the classes I took in person, instead of taking them online. The process of enrolling and taking courses from somewhat easy. Mainly because I already had a good idea of what classes I would like to take for my future. Overall I find it quite easy to register and find my classes and they were very helpful.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I liked that the course was comprehensive and informative. It's also easy to understand and use. I took classes online and it was very easy to register and find classes too. I enjoyed taking the classes and they helped a lot.

Original review: May 26, 2017

Their give you a self paced course with online videos and teachers that help you out. It also gives your own time to get it done when it's good for you when you work the same time. It was a wonderful. It's been easier learn. So grateful. It is a little hard on sometimes when you miss a course. Other times there are some problems getting into a class and have it down when you need it. The other thing is that sometimes the stream online gets problems and you missed some stuff and other than that it's been Great. For me it went pretty well I'm especially when I was nervous to put my money on it and get it done and have my time to do it.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I took the live class but did not show up past the first few days. It was excruciatingly slow and I did not enjoy it very much. But it's easy to register and find classes. Classes were helpful and Kaplan covers just about everything you need to know (physics, biology, chemistry, and the reading comprehension section) and lets you work at your own pace. They’re very thorough but way too long. Did not like how detailed and extremely dull it is and wish there were jokes or something to break up the monotony. Not a fan overall. Hard to finish.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I took the classes online, and I registered for them online as well. It was relatively easy to register and find my classes online this way. The classes have been helpful in narrowing down what I needed to focus on and what was the most important things to study and prepare for. I liked the test bank questions. They were representative of the types of questions you would see on the actual MCAT. It was a very accurate representation, and I felt better prepared for the exam because of it. I would make the information to go over a bit more concise and sticking to the main topics at hand. It seemed far too in depth in a lot of subjects where you really only needed a cursory knowledge of something. Going through all of the information was too cumbersome and overwhelming. It needs broken down better.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I took classes at a classroom at the company. It was easy to register, the classes were mostly helpful unless the teacher just followed the workbook verbatim. I liked the practice tests to study from, the workbook as a guide and the mock exams. The schedule of classes were good, convenient and it was very informative on what to expect. Some of it was rushed or hard to fit things in time. Some tests were already checked out or not available so it was annoying when you'd go to the library to study. I'm sure now, with online, it's much better. Overall, pretty content.

Original review: May 22, 2017

It was really helpful with learning how things are done. This was not the issue at first as it did take me a bit of time getting used to the question formats. I took the classes both online and in person. This is because of both the time taken from getting to university from home and back. Another factor is my job was not in the same direction from university so sometimes I would have to travel from work to university. The learning flexibility can be improved very much so. This is because even though these are special tests and prep tests for exams, it is hard to just walk in and suddenly get used to the way things are done.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Custom MCAT Instruction covers the different specialized programs that MCAT prep companies offer students who want personalized study help. The most important element of this category is private tutoring, which the best MCAT prep course providers offer both in person and online. I took the MCAT advantage in-class course and I felt that it was beneficial. I scored a 31M (11 PS 10 VR 10 BS). I liked the structure of the course, my teacher, and the strategies I was taught (minus the passage mapping). If you need structure, or if you are a non-trad who is a little fuzzy on some of the commonly tested concepts (which was my case) the course is worth the money in my opinion. If all the material is fresh and you don't need any structure, you could save a lot of money by self-studying with the materials endorsed in the MCAT forum.

Personally, I thought it was a waste of money. It's probably highly individual-dependent. If you have a lot of time, it's probably a worthwhile investment. The classroom version may be a better investment. The book series wasn't bad... they just seemed to be textbook vomit and include a good bit of unnecessary information. I preferred the Exam Krackers books. Take my opinion with a grain of salt because my MCAT score was in the mediocre range.

Original review: May 19, 2017

The Kaplan test preparation book was very helpful in explaining things in a way I could understand them. Adding the practice test in the book was a genius idea, it helped me in knowing what I needed more practice in, left me more confident in taking the actual exam and gave me the reassurance that I needed to boost my scores in the subjects that I needed the most help in. Thank you to the author of this wonderful amazing book. You should be honored to know you are assisting more students across the world in gaining the scores they need to go forward with their college education. Therefore, bettering the outcome of the rest of their lives.

The only thing that could possibly surpass the educational benefits in the Kaplan Test Preparation book would be to have an actual professor standing there with you explaining every word. It was truly an easy to understand book that guided me step by step and helped me to achieve my overall goals. With the assistance of the Kaplan Test Prep book, I was able to pursue the college of my dreams in person and was able to not only pass my classes but to surpass all my needed requirements in my educational studies of becoming a registered nurse in the medical field with a focus on internal medicine. I would recommend this book to anyone.

Original review: May 18, 2017

The process of enrolling and taking courses was pretty self-explanatory for me personally. I took classes in person because at the time, I perceived that that was my only option and that I would be more alert if I was in class. What I didn't realize until after was how I was spreading myself too thin some days and having the option to take that one class online from home that day would have been very helpful to my lack of sleep and lack of alertness that one class, including the fact that I had to travel to the brick and mortar location.

I have taken the MCAT preparation course provided, given and instructed by the people, the instructors, the teachers and the overall team at the Kaplan Test Prep. I found there were many features of the Kaplan MCAT prep that I did enjoy and liked. My favorite things about the Kaplan MCAT test preparation which included the level and detail of the instruction quality, the high quality and the discerning nature of the knowledge the instructors unequivocally and personally had with the test themselves. All of the instructors' willingness to answer any of the questions the students had (Regardless of how little or long it took for the individual students to comprehend the topic or the answer before moving on to the next subject), the level of the detail and the attention to the exam detail was wonderful and very helpful, as well as the tips which were given regarding and about the MCAT test itself.

For example, the things like what to look for in the MCAT exam questions and the possible answers, the sample questions and their corresponding answers. Taking the time going over the topics that may or may not be on the actual MCAT exam, the things to students should plump focus on prior to the test, a suggested timeline given for studying which topics when and how to do that in the most efficient manner. The general test taking tips for guaranteed success or increasing your chances of success especially when you don't remember the exact topic or the exact answer. How to eliminate the possible wrong answers and many reminders of what to bring and what to do for the day of the exam, like not panicking, getting enough sleep and ample rest the night before the exam, packing all your necessary test taking tools and items days before the MCAT exam.

Even that tip about making flashcards for certain subjects that you struggled with for quick review prior to the test time helped me with retain the information I struggled with while studying before. I really liked the informative booklets they produced and provided to the class. The pricing Kaplan asked for was reasonable given the level of instruction and knowledge given to the students by instructors. I think that overall, the value was indefinitely superior to other test preparation companies and classes compared to the competitors. I was very pleased with the Kaplan MCAT preparatory course and felt like I would've given myself a major disservice if I had not taken it and went with another company or no company at all.

The best features were the fact that the preparatory class dedicated a lot of time on the actual test topics and went full scale into and about the exam from cover to cover. I really like how dedicated the instructors were to one on one tutoring and teaching in different ways and manners if any of the students required it, especially since people all learn in different ways more efficiently than only one way of instruction. It truly was catered for the individual learning if anyone required that level of attention. The instructors never made anyone feel stupid for asking questions they didn't understand, and the instructors were very encouraging with every single student. I liked and enjoyed how we were able to break into the smaller groups for peer study sessions on some of the harder test topics.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the instructors' willingness for teaching and their enthusiasm for getting the students feeling comfortable as well as very prepared for this big test that could determine a life-changing event in their lives. The reputation of Kaplan also was something I really liked because it made me confident they would provide me with the tools necessary for accomplishing a high score on the MCAT test which I really needed for the next step in my education and college career. The Kaplan instructors' conduct was very professional and they had very good teaching techniques which allowed me to retain the information after leaving the class. They also went above and beyond by providing their emails so that students could email them after class if any of us had more questions or needed clarification on any topic, subject or general help.

I also liked the fact that the schedule for classes was given at very flexible openings that worked with my own schedule and the locations of classes was also very convenient for me to access and travel to. The instructing team was very valuable to me as they gave me not only knowledge regarding the MCAT exam but also mnemonic devices for memorization that I could take with me even after I complete the MCAT exam and all the testing. Furthermore, the Kaplan style of teaching and instruction, attention to detail with the MCAT test, and the repetition of ideas and test topics was extremely important and helpful to me even upon leaving Kaplan. I feel like it was well worth the money and time spent taking the course with Kaplan for my MCAT preparation.

They only things I wound improve about the Kaplan MCAT test prep would be that I would do the course over a longer period of time if possible so that we could do a slower or faster pace if any of the students required it. Since that time was limited and people do have very complicated and sometimes they also have very limited time slots in their schedules, that I would have found it nice to have the class run over that longer period of time with even more flexibility on scheduling. For improvement that perhaps an online portion could be added to the course, whether it was live instruction on video or prerecorded classes so that students would not have to travel to class making it more easily accessible. Especially for those who do not have transportation or have difficulty making time for the class within their own set and often times very busy schedule.

I think having that as an option to be taking the class over the internet would have helped many students tremendously. Even a possibility of having the classes recorded and available online to rewatch at home would have be spectacular. Because sometimes being very tired from school and work already before going to class, it would be hard for me to stay alert and focused on the topic at hand, the MCAT exam in this particular case. It would have been great for me and other students to be able to review our specific class at home at our own time and leisure, especially since we are paying so much money and putting in so much financially to have a Kaplan approved and directed course for MCAT exam instruction.

I want the best possible outcome and added value for my hard earned money and this would be an option that would've added a ton of perceived value and would have just sent me over the moon to be able to review the exact class I was just sitting in. Even if an online class were to be an option later on, I think adding a live chat option working would have been spectacular for the students who wanted to receive instruction that way.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Kaplan practice tests are very comprehensive, in depth and good practice for what I would be seeing in the actual exam. I only used the book for reviews, I would read the review sections and take the practice test. Once I have finished reviewing all the sections I take the overall practice exam. The solutions would be very simple and I would have prefer to have a more in depth and longer explanation so I can understand the concept behind the question better for future reference.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Kaplan is a wonderful prep test and I believe that everyone should use this. It is outstanding and wonderful. I don't believe there is another one like it or there anywhere in the States. It helped me so much in preparing for the final exam in ways that helped me understand what I was doing. It had no flaws but could be a little shorter than what it was. Longer test make you want to not start focused as well as you should or could be. But if it was shorter I would say you would have more people that would take it more often. Online classes were a breeze. Campus classes are just the same day going teachers that you could really understand. When it came time to take certain test the teachers/professors would work with you time wise. They wanted you to succeed. Even with classes online if you had problems were able to take the questions to your professors and then they would help you so that in a way you would be able to understand the test.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Kaplan is very convenient and its course are spectacular. They have great teachers and online classes that are fantastic. I registered online and it was extremely easy and great. I am taking both online and in person classes. I love the courses I'm taking and I love the different levels. Teachers and classes have been extremely helpful. Everyone and everything about it is great. I love this school!!!

Original review: May 5, 2017

I enrolled online and it made it a lot easier. The classes have been so helpful because their teaching style has made it easy for me to grasp the content. They slowly read each question as well as each answer choice. Proceeding to help you eliminate answers that cannot be accurate in any way. They give you a very detailed look of how the test will be. Also they recover information after the practice quizzes. Breaking down terms that are frequently missed and putting it into a more understandable context. This prep feels as if you will pass. But in fact this prep somewhat guides you to the answers so closely that it basically feels as if the answers were being told to you. I'd like it if it were more challenging and realistic. But they're amazing in every way.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I enroll and take classes in person rather than online. Online courses don't work with my learning style. I tend to become disengaged and bored with online courses. I do not retain the information presented and I find it extremely easy to blow off these classes. I am an interactive, attentive student and I am most successful in challenging classes led by engaged professors.

The breakdown of strategic planning was most beneficial to my learning style and my testing style. I found this information most useful of all the tips and techniques advocated in the test prep. However, I found the order of the study topics in the preparatory materials less intuitive than I initially expected. Of all the information and techniques included in the study materials, this was the least helpful information out of all presented in the literature.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I went in person to get information and they sat me down and helped me through it in a way I didn't expect. I took my classes in person and it was very easy. The classes were very helpful. I liked that the test questions were accurate.I knew what to expect and was prepared for it properly and adequately. But I would have like more math related prep. Math has never been my strong suit and while I did alright, my prep didn't focus on it as much as I would have liked in order to make me not as anxious as I was!

Original review: April 29, 2017

The entire enrollment process is stressful. The hardest parts of college are registering and making sure you sign up for the right things at the coinciding times. I liked the general knowledge and education sections though, which I actually think could stand be harder and deal more with pertinent knowledge and not random facts and history.

However, I did not like the selection process based of the selection of questions that made you have to fit a certain criteria for acceptance. It makes you become discouraged about 30% into taking the exam. Before the military I wasn't exposed to certain criteria that was required and certain categories I had no experience with. It made me feel singled out and not wanted because of the not knowing even though I'm a straight A student. It was actually pretty racist in my book. I looked around the room and all the ** people had the same look of confusion on their faces. We all looked at one another. I skipped over that section and came back to it. They all did the same.

Kaplan Test Prep expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Kaplan was among the very first test prep companies, and was founded in 1938. It is now an umbrella organization supporting many other private education companies.

• All major kinds of study: Although their flagship test prep programs operate from their own classrooms, they also offer video tutoring online, as well as personal tutors who will come to your home.

• Experienced: With decades of research on their side, Kaplan has worked out the kinks in its various programs and study approaches.

• Material advantage: The list of materials students can access is extensive, including over 5,000 questions, CDs, flash cards and other supplemental study aids.

• Official test day experience: Kaplan has made arrangements for students to take practice tests ahead of time inside the real GRE testing centers.

• No limits: Private tutors will give you all the attention you need to improve your scores as much as possible.

• Free classes: If you aren't sure whether the classroom experience is right for you, Kaplan allows you to take a free class at one of their state-of-the-art classrooms.

• World wide: Kaplan has classrooms in cities all over North America, including Mexico, as well as international programs in Europe and Asia.

• Best for: Students who want the most advanced technology and experienced instructors on their side.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs