Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.64/5

James Madison High School Reviews

Original review: April 24, 2020

I attended this school and to come on here and find out they aren’t even accredited is frustrating. I have not tried applying anywhere. Now I won’t even dare. I paid 1200 for this paper with no value. Go to school folks and get your GED. Study study and go get it the legitimate way.

Original review: March 2, 2020

I have paid tuition in full yet I've been waiting 2 YEARS for textbooks. The classes are difficult to pass without them. Every time I call and ask they tell me there's been a delay and they'll ship asap. I have yet to see a textbook. Incredibly frustrating and very poor/rude customer service. I do not recommend.

Get buying tips about Online High Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

My daughter is an outstanding student. She attended an accredited private High School for 2 years. She decided she wanted to attend college classes and complete HS online via JMHS. After submitting her transcripts, they refused to give her credit for 75% of her courses. They refused to answer calls from her former college counselor who was advocating for her. When I called to cancel the account and told the customer service agent why we were canceling she said I didn't need to make the final payment as she would file a complaint for me. Then, a month later, I received a threatening email that they were sending us to collection for not paying.

This organization is a joke and they do not have qualified staff in charge. It's impossible to speak with anyone who can actually help you and they are clearly incompetent of reading transcripts. It's a money making scheme and not a real school with real people who care about families. If "zero" stars were possible, that's what I would have rated them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I see so many bad reviews on this site, and I've yet to experience any of them. I'm an older adult that was unable to get my diploma when I was younger. My children have graduated college and decided it was time to do the right thing. JMHS has been very helpful, never pushy, and always organized! I hope this review will inspire anyone who may reading it. Thank you James Madison for making my High school experience a pleasant one.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I called them to ask some questions and they quickly asked for my card number and registered my son. Then they asked me to send my son's transcripts and we sent them. My son has completed his high school up to grade 11 at a physical high school and he wanted to do his 12th grade online. So they registered him in grade 12. Then, when his profile was activated, we noticed that he is required to do his 9th, 10th, and 11th grades again, although my son has been a high achiever and got A all throughout his school!

We asked them to remove 9, 10, 11 grades courses and they said sorry we cannot! Then I cancelled his registration because they look to have a really ridiculous system of education. Then, I asked for cancellation and refund, but they are asking for cancellation fee although my son has done nothing yet with this school and we have already paid so much money to them! SCAM! They probably know that no one in his right mind would stay with their stupid system and they are making money out of registration and cancellation fees!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about James Madison High School?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Because JMS is a self-paced institution, in some cases the child can attend JMS after the age of 18, making the custodial parent eligible for child support beyond the child's 18th birthday due to being a student. The catch is - The Attorney General (AG) wants to know if the child is a full-time student or not and JMS does NOT report full-time or part-time. They report "active or inactive". The AG's office will deny the custodial parent continuation of child support based on "active or inactive" status. I spoke to JMS about this and what they do to comply with the requirements of the AG and I was told "active or inactive" is already pre-loaded on the form they send to the AG's office and cannot be changed!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Take take take nothing but greed. No classes. We canceled. Now 300 dollars to do so. This place is a total RIP off! Ever want to change schools be prepared for a hefty fee. They do not tell you this and the student signs it when they log into their portal. I despise this type of money hungry type of business. Shame on you!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I read several negative reviews on James Madison High School, and I can't understand why! My son has been enrolled in this school since September. We received our transfer credits, and we only have 3 more credits before we are finished with the program. The school took 17 of the 19 credits that my son had. They only took 17 because they require you to take at lease 6 credit hours from them to receive their diploma. I can reasonably understand that. While we were waiting on our transcripts to be evaluated which they say can take 7 to 10 business days, they were able to get ours evaluated in 4 days after receiving the transcripts.

My son loves the classes. They provide books, lectures, assistance, learning videos, and other learning material. There has not been any issues with payments, or our understanding of our obligation. They only problem we have experienced with is computer system not unlocking another class to take after you've completed one. They allow you to take up to 2 classes at one time. If we finished one, then the class got stuck in their system, and we could not open the next class to make it two classes again, but this was easily fixable by calling them and telling them the issue and they would manually close the class and open the next one - simple as that. Again, from our perspective so far, the school is awesome, and every one I have spoke to was very helpful and nice. Again, this was our experience, not to minimize any other's experiences. Just from our experience, it has been great!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Bahamians: I would NOT recommend this product to any of my Bahamian Homeschoolers. I completed application and paid...after 2 weeks of following on receipt of transcripts and insisting they were received I was advised that they were received but not in the system, because they need to be evaluated. HOW WOULD I KNOW THAT IF YOU DIDNT TELL ME. ERIC ** couldn't even give a requested returned call...This is clearly indicative of the type of services expected. DON'T waste your time.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

They will lie to you and tell you they can help with children that have special needs. They don't have anything in place for this at all. They just want money. Should have looked at the reviews first. I am very disappointed. I will be reporting them to the BBB. They just take advantage of people and want to be paid when there is nothing in place for someone with special needs. The salesperson assured me there was a program for kids with disabilities. I hope I can help someone else avoid this terrible experience.

James Madison High School author review by ConsumerAffairs

James Madison High School is a self-paced school that provides full academic support — including teacher support, a blog and a question and answer forum. James Madison is an accredited school and has graduated tens of thousands of students.

• Flexible payment options: Students can take single courses for a low fee or use the monthly payment option, which is interest and finance charge free.

• Accreditation: James Madison is a nationally and regionally accredited online high school. National accreditation comes from the Distance Education Accrediting Commission and regional accreditation is granted by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI).

• Year-round enrollment: Classes do not have a definitive start and end date and are truly self-paced. Students do not have to adhere to a school schedule.

• Transfer credits: Students can save on tuition by transferring qualifying credits from other high schools.

• Academic support: James Madison offers academic support through the use of tutors, peer support and online support courses. In addition, teachers are available for questions through the Ask Your Teacher forum that is part of each course.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team