Katharine Gibbs Schools

Out of Business

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Everything about Katharine Gibbs School was deceitful. If there is ever a class action suit brought against them, I'd love to be a part of it. From 1996 - 1998, I attended this school in Boston. During the interview, I told the adviser I was interested in Graphic Design. At that time, graphic design was relatively new and I was an 18 year old small town girl (the first in my family to ever attend college), so I trusted her expertise when she said the Executive Assistant/Secretarial Arts program would be the perfect fit for me. "Secretarial arts...?" I asked hesitantly. "Oh, that's just the name of that particular program, but it's the one you'll need to take to become a graphic designer," she reassured me.

Needless to say, I have never had the opportunity to pursue graphic design as all the money I worked 3 jobs for since I was 12 years old (8, if you include babysitting) was wasted on this joke of a school. I am still paying my student loans 20 years later as secretarial (the layman's term for Executive Assistant, as I quickly came to learn) is not the most lucrative profession. It certainly doesn't warrant paying an exorbitant amount of money to go to college for!

I was also told about their excellent job placement service during my interview. I was informed that I could "be placed in a job anywhere in the world - even Hawaii". Months before graduation, however, I met with the folks in the job placement services as I was planning to move to California with my wonderful degree from this "prestigious" school. Sadly, I was informed, "Gee... well... we really don't have any schools out there. So you'll really have to look on your own for a job." Several years later, when I was searching for a new job in Boston (the city where my campus was actually located), I was told they really didn't have anything there either! The bottom line is there should be repercussions for this predatory school. If there is ever a class action lawsuit that I can be part of, please contact me. Thank you.

Hi all! I attended Katharine Gibbs in NY for the Associates program in Computer Science, having spend 26 Months and $43,000 in debt, I was able to transfer 19 credit out of 91 credit with 3.86GPA!! When I was trying to get my bachelor's now with age of 40 I have to start over to get my degree, because of their credit weren't acceptable!! It's shame how these people were playing with innocence of students just because they were trying to get higher education!! I'm glad this greedy hole is closed for good!!

Hi all! I attended Katherine Gibbs in Piscataway for the Associates program in Office Administration (officially office e-ministration) beginning in the Summer of 2003 through completion in December 2004 at the Livingston campus; a requirement in order to receive the degree. I enrolled immediately out of high school, class of 2003, attracted mostly by the accelerated 18-month curriculum. Living nearly a hour from Piscataway, and a hour plus from the last semester in Livingston, travel was exhausting – not only monetarily, or time and distance, but class times revolved around rush hour traffic from the Jersey shore to Northern Jersey and vice versa. Loans were taken out and divided between myself and my parents – total estimated around $30k. I completed the program with a cumulative GPA of 3.8, which reflects my commitment to obtaining my degree and the dedication I applied to each subject.

I had some truly exceptional teachers while in attendance and it was clear then as it is now – the select few of my teachers at Piscataway really tried to educate and care for their students and their well-being despite the class demographics being unbalanced; and I define that beyond social class or ethnicity. A majority of my classmates were – by self admission openly at smoke breaks, there on state-aid, tuition free; minimally fulfilling the assignments, just enough to pass and receive the "degree." As a result, this affected curriculum dramatically, as teachers had to modify pace and complexity of lessons, grading, etc. I was the minority: a young motivated woman at 18 seeking a degree, and passion to learn and a willingness to pay $30k for it. Upon graduation, promised career placement was absent which left me a bit unsettled, yet, I had a degree!

Being raised in family that nurtured independence and "don't wait for others to do it for you" I went on without looking back for many years with that degree in hand. It isn't until recent that I have realized the magnitude of deception and above all else legitimate fraud conducted by Gibbs in attempting to transfer to a community college 12 years later at the age 30 to obtain my nursing degree. I was previously enrolled in Brookdale Community College for Fall 2003 in the nursing program prior to my meeting with the advisors at Gibbs. Again, enticed by the accelerated curriculum, I enrolled at Gibbs under the instruction that they were an accredited college and credits were transferable, should I decide to continue my education later.

After enrolling for Spring 2016 at OCC, of the 90 plus credits completed with an overall GPA of 3.8, only SIX credits transferred, two courses, one English and one humanities under general education requirements – which equates to less than one semester on a part-time status at Gibbs, yet $30k later. Here I was entering an associates program for nursing with the practical mindset that most – not all general education credits of the several English, History, and Humanities would transfer. Needless to say the anger and disappointment I felt learning that at 30, after tuition, and dedication applied at Gibbs to obtain the grades, and the degree meant absolutely nothing and that now I have to start from the bottom again.

What person in their right mind would choose to spend that money, apply themselves to the curriculum for it to mean NOTHING! Clearly, it's evident, we were instructed and promised otherwise and they are now closed for "business" or "school"? I have now completed my first full-time semester back at school this spring. I am investing my time and effort to demanding answers not only for me, but all of us.

I went to Gibbs (Norristown, Pa) and graduated in 2005. Just like some of you... I feel embarrassed, ashamed, ripped off, the list could go on. It's really not fair what's happened to us. Not having our credits recognized by schools and employers is pure ** (excuse my language). $16k down the drain for a degree that's not even recognized smh. I've tried contacting several lawyers within the last few years and none of them were willing to even hear more about the situation. Very sad. False claims of job placement and unusable degrees. Having to pay back loans for a useless education is NOT cool! Something must be done!

I am also in the same boat. I am forced to pay back loans that I had to take the classes over. When I was interview they ask you what your goal is. My goal was to go into criminal justice there, and within 2 years transfer to West Virginia University for their Forensic program. When I called West Virginia to transfer, they simply said "Even though you have a 4.0 you are attending a non-accredited college". I made sure to ask the lady if they were an accredited college and that my credit would transfer. She made sure that I was convinced that, I would be able to get into the school that I wanted.

They are nothing but liars, now my credit is screwed. I need help to get this discharged due to false information. If I had any idea that it was non-accredited. I would have NEVER went there NOR take out loans that I have to pay back for nothing. I am 46,000 in debt due to student loans. I did get my degree from another college, but I had to take every single class over because NO ONE ACCEPTS THEIR CREDITS. ANY HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Katharine Gibbs Schools?

I am ashamed to admit that I worked for career education for over 2 years. I had no idea that any of this was going on. I sincerely believed I was helping students to pursue degrees that they would be able to use and better themselves. I also had no idea that the credits would not transfer but My own family member got stuck too and I had to pay back quite a bit of financial aid and she had to retake all the course at the junior college since they would not transfer. What I have learned now is just it is for profit not for the students. They have taken advantage of an endless amount of students and what even upsets me more is that many of these individuals have gone to other non profit schools knowing that they are deceiving the students.

I attended Gibbs College straight out of high school because I didn't want to wait to continue my education. At first everything seemed very official until after I graduated. I didn't received my diploma, I can't get my transcript, and I'm sky in student loan debt $60,000. I can't believe these people could be so EVIL!!!

I agree with everyone who has submitted a complaint regarding this school. Everyone who attended should be compensated because we were all robbed of the degrees we expected to receive. I, along with my daughter attended Gibbs in Norristown, PA and I graduated in 2005. I felt we both were ripped off. I've been pursuing schools again for additional education and have been asked about my degree. I pulled out the so called "associate degree" that I was given and it does not even have a seal on it to validate its authenticity. Gibbs really made fools out of a lot of people whose only intention was to get an education and better themselves. Instead we are spending years paying back loans that have not benefit anyone but Gibbs.

I posted on this website over a year ago and since then, there have been even more posts regarding Katherine Gibbs students and the need for resources to find relief. Please join our Facebook group Justice for Gibbs Students and share your stories with us. United we can make a difference. We're not just trying to air our grievances. We're actually trying to do something about this. Thank you.

Now I know colleges see students/humans as money dollar signs but I think the department of education should be at fault too. They were aware of the non credits. I was told at the last minute of the credits not being accepted at most colleges and also the loans were not explained correctly to me but I was able to transfer my credits just for another college to tell me I have no more funds through F.A so now if I even work min. Wage student loan will take my entire check. I will not be able to pay my rent or electric and gas so I'm suppose to move back to a shelter. So I definitely have to get funds up to go back for higher education.

I was working on a bachelor's degree but I will sacrifice my time if I have to start all over to obtain an associate degree. But in something that will pay a lot more so I can pay my rent, electric and gas plus student loans it's sad. But the gov't knows the game these financial institutions are playing and they are down with it and are collecting billions of dollars from students in messing up our credit. I'm working on mine slowly but surely. But it's a pain in the butt and I pray for us all and it's sad because my daughter got caught with Harris school of business in Upper Darby PA. Sad how it's still going on promises from these institutions. But they are full of lies while the gov't sit back and collect funds from people who can barely pay rent and bills let alone student loans.

Pray for us all. I attended Gibbs, and Piscataway, and in Livingston 03/05, while working full time in taking care of my children as a single parent driving an hour away to get there and I don't have a degree either to show my family. Sallie Mae in the gov't be down with it. Anything involving cash $$. At the end of the day it's all about the money.

I graduated with honors from Gibbs College in December of 2004 and acquired my Computer Network Administrator associate's degree. I have been paying the loans since 2005, and still haven't gone done more than 3000.00 dollars and I owe 14000.00. The issue is that I could never take advantaged of my degree as most companies didn't really trust a degree from Gibbs. What I did in order to find a job, I got certified in many brands like Microsoft Certs, and many others making possible with that, to put my foot inside of the IT door.

I have been paying for over 10 years for degree that no companies will accept and it is like that I haven't gone to College at all. I finally went and took my bachelor's in computer forensics with an accredit University. I was wondering is there is a way to stop paying for this degree which I really have never taken advantage and it was a waste of my time and money.

When I graduated from high school in 2003 I didn't apply for any college and then last minute I decided that I wanted to attend college right away instead of taking time off. Therefore a friend told me about Gibbs which I had never heard of. I quickly applied and was immediately accepted. I attended Gibbs Boston and I took couple loans to pay for the school including a private loan from Sallie Mae, which all I did was give them a signature, had no information about it and didn't think to ask because I thought they would do what's on the best interest of the student. I was wrong and DUMB.

Since then my income tax return have been taken at least 3 or 4 times or more. My wages have been garnished, and I still own $23,000 with Sallie Mae. Sallie Mae didn't contact me for many years and now I'm paying triple the amount of the initial loan and to top it off I have nothing to prove that I went to a college. This is not fair, there has to be someone who regulates the price of education. Something needs to be done about the school and the high interest on student loans. I don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions? I've paid over $40,000 in student loans and I can't even say that I attended college because I have nothing to prove it and I can't even get a transcript, never got the diploma.

I started at Katharine Gibbs school in 2008 for medical assistance. After couple months, they told me school was closing so if we didn't passed a class we had to transfer. When that happened and I try transferring, the other school wouldn't accept most credit so I couldn't finish. Now my credit messed up, am up to my head with all this loans. They sign me up with a lot of loans I didn't even know about. I owe more than 24,000 and I didn't even finish. Is mad and stressed I hope they can't fix this because I really don't have any way to pay this.

I attended Katharine Gibbs in 2003-2005 in Piscataway then went to Gibbs College in Livingston, NJ during the 2005 year. I called a number for student loan forgiveness but they are saying only people who didn't complete the program and the school closed can have their loans removed. There has to be something for those who did complete the program but are stuck in thousands of dollars in debt. To have a degree that is worth nothing is ridiculous. Something must be done.

It's a shame that a business like this can take advantage of young kids fresh out of high school, nonetheless older generation. I wish we had these media review sites when I was applying for schools. Should I have done my homework and read the reviews I would never have applied for Katharine Gibbs. Many empty promises with lifetime job placement and empty future!

I wanted to continue my education and take my credits from Gibbs being that one of their promises was that I could transfer my credits only to find out other universities would not accept and would be like starting all over again! Miserable lying bastards! Waste of money, which they demanded and had no means of paying because that lifetime job placement was just of a hoax they are! Waste of my life, which I'll never get back and have not had any motivation to start my education all over again for all these years! They owe us not just the money we forcefully paid, but more as this has costed us our lives and our future!

I graduated the Katherine Gibbs School in 2001 (Visual Communications). While trying to find a job, I found out that my degree that I worked so hard to obtain, was a complete phony. Hiring companies at the time, laughed at my degree and told that my school was junk. Katherine Gibbs was located in Midtown and appeared to be a legit college. I didn't find out about the accreditation until I wasted years for a worthless degree. The administration lied to me and other students about the accreditation just to make money.

I'm 32,000 dollars in debt and had to completely start over my college career in CUNY because of this school. The management should be accountable for my debt. This was just a modern day money scheme that should have be investigated a long time ago. What can be done about my debt from this school? I want my debt cleared ASAP!

I cannot begin to imagine why we have to pay back money to an organization that is closed and lost its accreditation. We cannot use the credits to further our academic careers. We can't use the "job placement" we were promised, and there is no one we can speak to in order to get any transcripts. Everything Gibbs promised was a hoax and it is a shame that our financial futures are hanging by a thread due to the greed and incompetence of those in charge of this so called "college". I am sorry that I have no information to provide any of you to help us through this trying time but I needed to find people that can relate to my situation and more or less vent my frustration.

I attended Katharine Gibbs from 2002-2004 and was given the same promises and bs like everyone else here. Few years ago, I tried to transfer my credits to another school since I want to get my bachelor degree and any of the credit from Gibbs the school won't take. I got so pissed about it. I decided not to go back to school, since I didn't want to start from the beginning and get more loans out since I can't really pay the ones I have right now. Now I want my loans to be forgiven since this was a ** school and I have nothing to show for it either.

I am another victim with student loans and can't find a job because of Katherine Gibbs/Gibbs College. I have $20,000 still owed. I graduated in 2004 and took up Computer Tech Support. Their course did not help me any with the job market. They did not give me my diploma. I didn't get any real education, and could not transfer any of the credits I had to any institution. This is also the biggest mistake of my life I made attending this school. I will die with my loan now, and I struggle everyday to make ends meet.

I attended Gibbs College in Vienna VA for only two semesters. But it was enough to DESTROY my credit, and more than 10 years later(!!!) adversely affect my life to the point where, not only am I not using anything from the "school" to better my life, but it is actually holding me and my family(!!) back. I cannot move to a better school district, because my credit is so bad, the worst it's ever been.

Signing up for Gibbs College could not have been easier. They took care of all the loans for me -- taking out Federal and private loans with the blink of an eye -- borrowing tens of thousands of dollars on my behalf, with my understanding that I was going to be a Graphic Designer! And it would all be worth it. They loaded me up with endless, useless art supplies, a terrible camera, and I threw myself into the coursework. It should be noted that I have already received my Bachelor's degree. Attending Gibbs was voluntary, continuing education. "Graduate" school for me, per se. I thought I was doing the right thing, for myself, for my career, for my future.

Gibbs College has destroyed me financially. I cannot move forward in my life as a result of Gibbs College. SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE!!! When it became apparent that it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with this "accelerated" program -- a program in which the vast majority of people were also working at least part time while going to school -- I did not re-enroll. Thank God for that, because I would probably be homeless thanks to Gibbs. What recourse do I have??? It's been over 10 years and this is still on my credit!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!!

I attended this school straight out of high school in 2005 in Boston. I had excellent grades and was being rebellious not listening when my mother when she told me not to attend this school. I went in letting them know that I wanted to further my education and get my Bachelor's and Master's Degrees. They lied to my face. I was told by the advisor I would be able to transfer my credits to any university. Once I came upon my completion date I started looking to transfer to UMass or other universities in the area, and was told no one will accept my credits because this school is not accredited. Basically, I would have to start over completely. So I did and still paying back students loans from them I owe 10 yrs later!! That was the biggest mistake, and I truly regret not listening to my mother of course.

Thanks to Katherine Gibbs of Piscataway and Livingston!! I supposedly graduated in 2008 with nothing to show for it! I'm not allowed to get my transcripts to get a job because I owe them money! I have a 20 different loans all over and don't know about them because they split them up. I found out about them when they hit my credit and destroy it! I can't afford to pay them back! And now my credit is suffering and technically have no schooling to get a job! And I'm scared to apply being my wages will be garnished! Please help! They robbed from us! I busted my butt to get good grades all for nothing!

The amount I spent there I could of got a bachelor's degree somewhere else that could actually have me at a good job right now!! Any lawsuits in action? Any way I can get this off my credit?? They don't deserve anyone's money!! They closed down a few months after I was done! Credits don't transfer! Please help me! I want my life back without running from backed up bills!

I attended Gibbs 2003-2005 for Graphic Design/Animation and like many of you was promised a great job and big pay. It's the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life and now I'm in so much debt. I can't get anything done due to poor credit. I was NEVER able to get a job in either field. Thanks Gibbs! It's been 10yrs now since I "graduated" and I'm at my wits end on what to do with this issue.

I attended the Katherine Gibbs School in Norristown, Pa. This school was a complete joke and not only that... I'm left in a great deal of undeserved debt. Shortly after graduating the school in 2005, I found out that the school was NOT nationally accredited while they were telling us that they were. While they probably did have some sort or accreditation, not being accredited nationally affects any further educational or employment opportunities as most institutions and employers don't even recognize this school. This has been very upsetting as it left me in a great deal of debt that has proven to be worthless.

The "Associate's Degree" that I received is a joke because it's done absolutely nothing for me since the school is not recognized. I'd love to know if there are any class action cases open for them because I without a doubt would like to join it. The school has been very misleading to students and it's just not fair for those of us who are stuck in debt because of the wrongdoings of this school. We need help!

Promised job placement, transferable credits to universities. I studied hard, passed all classes and graduated! But no transcripts available, no degree ever received, no proof and in debt!!!!! Wasted time and robbed! Very very upset! Lawsuit action please contact me!

Graduated from Katharine Gibbs Schools in Piscataway NJ in 1999. I would like to pursue my career further but the community college told me that the credits are not transferable. How can the school charge so much money for education if the credits are worthless after graduation? I luckily had no school loan but spent a lot of money to find out now that was for nothing.

I went to the gibbs school in 2006. I was in a car accident and was told there was no medical leave. I was charged for the whole semester with additional charges that I could not identify and am now being forced to pay with no records and no access to records. The time and money I spent there is like nothing more than a waste of time.

I’m so far in debt with student loans from this school. I can't afford to repay causing me to fall behind in my personal bills. Now to found out this school close down shortly. I supposedly graduated and if I wanted to go back to school I can't because my credit is worthless. They never placed me no job. The only job I’m able to get nowadays are closing down leaving me jobless once again.

I'm wondering has anyone gotten their Loan discharge due to the fact the school no longer exist. If so please let me know. I read up on it fed loan servicing and looking into doing so. I'm very upset that they close down and not let nobody know nothing and I haven't received my degree and probably will never be able to get so.

I took a shorthand class there for a what I thought was a couple hundred dollars over 20 years ago. I have come to find out that there is now a student loan in my name for over $8000 for this. This is FRAUD!!! I never applied for a loan, nor was I ever told I would be charged this amount of money for a few months of shorthand classes!

I attended Gibbs back in 2003-04 for a criminal justice degree. I was told about the school from a friend who was a adviser working there at the time. I told the adviser and everyone working there that my goal was to transfer to a university to play football at the time and they all told me that my credits would transfer. I went to Gibbs for almost 2 years. After applying to a couple of universities, I was accepted and was told that now of my credits would transfer and most of them never even heard of Gibbs college and they looked at it as a trade school.

I never got my degree for Gibbs because I transferred into Shenandoah University and didn't have time to finish up my internship... I didn't feel I needed it after what I was told. I wasted over two years of my life and student loans over 70k. I'm being asked to pay over 700+ a month... My life ruined... My fiancee also posted on here about what happened to me.

I can never be a homeowner because and live the American Dream because of this school. I don't know what to do. I want to file a lawsuit as well. I was lied to and now the school no longer up and running. I don't understand how Sallie Mae gives out loans for this school. The government shouldn't let this happen to people... Something needs to be done. This is not right. Please contact me of you have any answers.

Katharine Gibbs Schools Company Profile