2. Education
  3. Student Loans

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Direct Loan Servicing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Loan Servicing?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Loan Servicing?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

In 2013 I decided to look my chances of getting into college. When I had my appointment at the university, told me about student loans and accepted. I joined classes in the second quarter and had to retire because the school was too expensive and needed more work. Now I have to pay $5,000.00, $1,200.00 USD in loans at school and the rest to Federal Loan. I pay very high interest in something that practically did not use. Very bad school. On Monday, December 8 did my monthly payment. On the 9th I called to cancel and paid with another bank account because in that current account had no money.

Today I see overdraft charges on my bank account $116.61, the person who charged me canceled the wrong payment and when I called the bank they can't drop the overdraft charges. I called Federal Loan Office and they would not cancel the payment and collect the money from other account, just said "sorry the person who attended you canceled the wrong payment." Then they didn't care that I have these overdraft charges even if it was their mistake. It is very hard for me to pay off these debts and now I have to deal with this. To everyone, I recommend staying away from this institution is the worst.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

DLS went defunct. My TEACH Grants were serviced by them for two years. I had no problem certifying my ATS. Grants were transferred to Fed Loan, where a lack of communication, misrepresentations of dates and statements were used as evidence against my willingness to recertify. I am still employed with a Title 1 school and have no reason not to continue to recertify. A lack of communication, according to their guidelines posted on their website was the major cause for a breakdown of communication.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

This is the biggest scam I have ever seen... they even go out of their way to "prove" that they are not a scam. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS!!! What a joke!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2014

This company are nothing but scammers. I have never had dealings with this company ever, yet they took an unauthorized payment of 69.75 from my bank account which is disgusting & little more than fraud.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2013

I read the many complaints stated against the services that Direct Loans is supposed to provide for the average student loan consumer and I am alarmed on the many complaints that I read. I am not sure if I should go ahead and apply to consolidate my student loans with them, please advise and thank you.

Original review: June 26, 2013

I'm having issues with my KwikPay with Direct Loans. I set up an additional amount to be debited each month via KwikPay and received an email from DL confirming that this was accepted and effective as of 5/24/13. However, the additional amount to be debited did not show up on the homepage or KwikPay page of the website. I called DL about this issue FIVE times in the past month - the first 4 calls, I was assured that the additional amount would be debited on my June payment date, 6/21/13. Lo and behold, it wasn't.

I called AGAIN today, 6/26/13, as the last customer service rep had told me to do in the event that the additional amount wasn't debited with my June payment. All I was told was, "The additional amount should be debited in July." I reiterated that the additional amount I had set up wasn't showing up on the website (it should, at the very least, show up on the KwikPay page), but they assured me, just like they had the previous FOUR times regarding the June payment, that it would be debited in July. I'm 99% positive that this will continue to be an issue, and that the additional amount will not be debited on my next payment date, 7/21/13.

I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point, as I don't want to make an additional manual payment every month (as it pushes my payment date back each month that I do this, because the "don't advance payment" box isn't able to be checked for some reason - which means I need to call DL and have the payment date reset every time I make a manual payment). This kind of service is unacceptable. This issue has been going on for over a month now, and no one has taken any concrete steps to resolve it, other than to say "just call back."

Original review: June 13, 2013

My experience has been reflected completely in this review by another consumer: A few months ago, I received a letter telling me that KSA had taken over my student loan from the government. Since then, I have tried to reach these people via the internet and via telephone with no luck. I tried to call them and was told that I was the 2nd person in line. But even after that I had to hold on the phone for a good 15 minutes before I got to talk to someone and then I was told that due to "technical" difficulties, he could not help me out and that I would have to call back. Thank you, KSA Servicing!

Original review: May 13, 2013

A few months ago, I received a letter telling me that KSA had taken over my student loan from the government. Since then, I have tried to reach these people via the internet and via telephone with no luck. Now although I know my username and password, I can't log in because I am being asked to submit the name of my first manager. Huh? That is not a security question I would have chosen ever! Now I have been on the phone, on hold for 23 minutes, listening to hold music and an automated voice telling me every few minutes that an agent will be with me as quickly as possible. What a joke this is. I think I'll just stop paying and maybe someone will eventually call me.

Original review: March 13, 2013

If your student loans are serviced by Direct Loan Servicing Center in Atlanta, GA, you are out of luck. I have no idea why they call themselves servicing center if they provide no service whatsoever. They are hiding behind long wait times to get to talk to somebody and automated email messages. People you talk to are rude on the phone and inconsiderate.

For three months, we have been waiting for a returned check to be credited to my student loan account and to no avail. Even with a copy of the cashed check, they don't know what happened to it. It was mailed directly to their Payment Center P.O. Box 530260 via registered mail, and they still don't know anything about the payment. The check was endorsed to the Department of Education and cashed on December 28, 2012. But no, these people from the servicing center still don't have information about it. Their answer to everything is 7 to 10 business days. If you ever have to deal with these people and you have a choice, don't. Aside from being incompetent, they move like snails. Oh no I apologize; I didn't want to offend the snails.

Original review: March 4, 2013

If you are looking into a TEACH Grant, beware. It sounds like an awesome program, but I am finding out the hard way that it is a trap. I have been teaching in a low-income school as a special education teacher purposely because there is a $17,500 loan forgiveness program that will forgive that amount after working 5 years. I call Direct Loans every August to make sure that loan is still in forbearance. In addition to this, I read about the TEACH Grant. It offered $8,000 to teachers earning a Master's Degree going into certain subject areas (Reading Specialist) and in exchange, you teach in a low income school for 4 years. I thought, "Perfect! I get to help more students in a high need area, in a high needs school."

I read and was told when I called Direct Loans concerning the program that they would contact me and send me a form that I would have to fill out every year at the end of each teaching year. I was expecting the form in June, but I never received anything. I decided to call them and they said they sent me an email (I never received an email) and the form was in that email. Because I never received that form, I couldn't send it in, right? Well, they converted my $8,000 grant into a loan. It is accruing interest as we speak, and they won't do anything to fix this. I have even offered to send them proof from my low income school that I have been teaching at. Also, they told me the form was sent in December. December is not the end of the school year! Keep this in mind; I am still teaching in low income schools and in my 2nd year of the 4-year agreement.

Still, they won't do anything to help me, so guess what? I have to pay this money back! I have begged and pleaded with them, and they told me there is nothing they can do. I asked the customer rep on the phone if this has happened a lot and she said "yes." Can you believe this? I have asked to speak with supervisors and managers, and they can't help me either. I can barely make ends meet with my pay, let alone insurance cuts, and now they are telling me I have to pay back $8,000 plus interest to them. Oh, and the customer rep on the phone said, "Well, ma'am, at least you are getting $17,500 forgiven!" I told her that I was living at home during the time I went for my Master's and could have paid it out of my pocket at that time, but instead I relied on the TEACH Grant.

This is stressful and sad, and I hope people read my review and take the precautions. Get those forms and fill them out and send them in ahead of time. Document every call with Direct Loans. The TEACH Grant was too good to be true for me. What a mess. I must now find a higher paying job in order to make ends meet because my love of teaching isn't going to be enough to pay these loans.

Direct Loan Servicing Company Information