Devry University

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I went to DeVry with high hopes, boy was I wrong. They don't go by your schedule but by theirs. Financial aid is a headache with them. They misused all my financial aid and now I don't have Fed money to attend my March and May classes. I have to cough up money out of pocket which is why I got financial aid, so I don't have to use my own money. I have an 8 year Autistic son and all my money is tailored to him. Now they are telling I have to use my out of pocket to pay for my classes, which I will not do. They suckered me in and now they are trying to get more money out of me?? I don't think so... DO NOT ATTEND DEVRY... Now I see why they are a profit school.

I joined DeVry back in 2013 and was extremely happy and hopeful that I would get my degree in Healthcare business. Sadly in June 1st of 2014 a week after the new class session started, my Mother lost her battle with breast cancer and I just couldn't keep my head busy with school anymore. I contacted both my professor and my counselor for help, on dropping out because I was grieving for my mother. Both sent me a withdrawal form which I filled out and quickly sent back before my Mother's funeral on June 5th.

I made sure to ask both they had received it and ask if there was anything else I needed and I was going to have any charges pending, to which I was told that everything was going to balanced out and most likely a charge of about $300 plus would be pending, but I would be billed and have time to pay it off. I was asked if I had plans to continue with my education. I remember mentioning that I did, but at the current moment I was not sure when or if I was in the best shape to answer that question.

Fast forward, a year, and I started to get collection calls saying I owed DeVry $1,500! I called DeVry and was told that the charges were for dropping out during the middle of a class session and for not giving notice. Apparently the forms I filled out withdrawing were never turned in and I was officially dropped out of the class 10 days later and dropped from the school 10 days after that! making it seem like I did nothing by decide to not attend school anymore. So, my efforts to making sure I did all that was needed was useless and the forms I filled out, mysteriously disappeared because they were never turned in and they have no recollection that they ever sent them to me or I, to them.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with these people and no one seems to know who my counselor was, if my previous professor is still working there, and who I can speak to about this issue. Oh, but the harassing phone calls to my husband and I are constant! I can't even continue my education somewhere else because I can no longer get financial aid if I have a pending balance with another school and I'd have to start over from scratch. So thanks to DeVry I can't continue my education and I am stuck with an unfair $1500 bill which I can't pay, no financial aid to help start over and a lifetime of daily harassing calls. Did anyone know that they use students to work for DeVry to help them recruit more students? But half the time these student don't know what they are doing? No wonder no one knows what's going on with anything!

Only reason I here was due to them offering Military discount and it was online. But you cannot tack on other scholarships. It’s whatever is the best deal. They only want your money, not looking for you to learn. Also, good luck getting in contact with anyone! No one knows answers to anything, they just transfer you place to place in hopes someone knows an answer. Same with the teachers, half of them do not even return your email or phone call. They told me they will pay for my first attempt at my cerf for the RHIA exam, but for some reason no one knows the answer to who I send the application to or how it’s getting paid for. Great college, NOT! I would not recommend anyone going here. Do not waste your time or money.

Hello everyone. I can't believe an SSA contacted me 12/1/16 telling me I have a credit balance of nine hundred something dollars and that the school has to deduct three hundred something dollars for non institutional fees so Ill get the remaining six something hundred dollars. I see the negative six hundred something dollars but I still have the three hundred something dollar balance from last semester. I called like 7 weeks after I spoke with the SSA and whomever I spoke with said she didn't see the negative six hundred something dollars on my account. I was so pissed. She claimed she's going to find the SSA who told me about the credit balance and she will get back to me.

It's been another 2 weeks I haven't heard from anybody. I am mad I didn't ask the SSA what's the exact date I shall be receiving the credit balance but he did say in January when I get my credit balance pay my thirty dollar book fee. I see now they can keep a credit balance and use it for anything if you let them use your title IV for non institutional charges. So as of today it's a hundred something gone from the credit balance of the six hundred something I have been seeing. It's now five hundred something dollars. I am hoping my mistake was that I should've said "no do not use my title IV for non institutional charges." I just changed that last week and I hope that help me get my credit balance even though this is all so fishy and I would like to know where tf the little hundred something dollars went.

I'd hate to go filing complaints for misinformation because if I needed to say they can't use my title IV for non institutional charges someone could have been told me. I have been contacting financial aid via e-mail and they continue to ignore me. I believe they don't see the credit balance if someone else is planning to use it because like Everest they lied and lied and when I withdrew I seen on the exit notification they had a extra $13,000 on there that didn't go to me nor my education. I can't allow this to happen again because all of it is on my credit report in student loans. The lie was each time I withdrew they sent the funds back to the dept. Education. They lied so much to students the school closed. I see DeVry is getting sued for being too damn high and not helping with employment.

I have been enrolled in Devry for a few years now and the experience has been horrible. This coming from someone who graduated for ITT Tech with no issues and working in my field. I have had numerous issues with professors which I contacted the school about and never heard back from (almost a year ago). I've requested for changes which I never heard back from. They take all your money and don't care about the student at all. They have professors who discriminate against people. So in a nutshell you are paying to get treated like dirt and get ignored.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Devry University?

Despite bad reviews I decided to give them a chance. I received a transfer student scholarship due to my gpa. After a few classes, I was unable to login for 2 1/2 weeks on an 8 week course class. I called and called and none could help or figure out why I couldn't log in. I believe the scholarship was a scam. They removed the scholarship due to my "inactivity" and low grade in the class. Then I received a bill for 1500 dollars. I called the school again asking about my bill. They suggested I enroll another semester and the FAFSA would even out. This didn't happen at all, instead I was put on academic hold and received a bill for 3200. Now unless I pay this rip off bill I can't continue my education due to transcripts being held. I think they set the students up and be all nice and friendly on the phone and then scam them to get more profits.

I started taking classes through DeVry back in October of 2016, and finished October 2017 with the Medical Billing and Coding certificate program. I finished with a 4.0 GPA, but feel I would have been able to learn the material in my own. The price is outrageous. It is a for profit school, so you expect higher costs. You also expect to graduate feeling like you can find a job and that you have successfully learned a skill. I had at least three different "advisors" throughout the year. How can they guide me if I am being "tossed around" from one to another? I do not recommend this route to anyone for education. Find a better school.

Devry University is the perfect school for you if you work all the time and you do not have any time to sit around in a classroom. You want to get back to school because you want to earn a higher education. It has helped me to stay in school and manage a newborn baby while still working. The professors are extremely understanding and they really try to work with you if you work with them.

Being a parent to a two year old while working full-time, I really appreciated the flexibility that came into the online program. It allows my work to not be disrupted while I am able to do homework and study around my son's sleep schedule. I really appreciate the ease of the online library as well as the easy and constant communication with my professors.

So you know it is expected that immediately after high school, graduates should go straight to college, secure a profession, get married, and then have children. Well, I created my own order and did some college after high school, had two kids, got a career, got married, went back for my associate's degree, had another kids, and now working on my bachelor's and DeVry made it possible for me to get a Bachelor's Degree from the comfort of my own home while having a full time family and full time job. Having 8 week courses and the ability to be online, it is easier for me to complete classes and get my degree.

I started with Devry July 2016 and in September I withdrew from a class due and made a D in the other which brought my GPA lower. In July I was given or "awarded" a Devry Scholarship based on my GPA. Based on the Devry Guidelines your qualifications is based on an ANNUAL REVIEW. Not per session review or semester. No worries, RIGHT??? Wrong! I contacted Student Finance and it was confirmed it was annual just as I had read it...by 3 different student finance reps. However my account on their end stated my grant was being removed so they escalated my concern of the misrepresentation of the wording on their web page to their "scholarship committee".

A day later I receive a phone call from the rep who assisted me who stated that the "scholarship committee" said that in their "guidelines" that only they have privy to it states at "any time" if the student's GPA falls then the grant has to be removed and reviewed for qualification again at the annual review. WHAT?? SERIOUSLY?? I will be looking to transfer after this class!! What a bunch of con artists!!! I was lied to and apparently even their own financial advisers read the same I read! I applied and attended Devry despite the bad reviews because I believe everyone's experience is different. Clearly I have joined the "beware" poll!

Devry is going to end up just like ITT Tech that recently just lost its funding. It is only a matter of time. I was deceived by Devry University's deceptive advertising that aired on TV. I wanted to get a degree and I should have just went to an in-state college. I feel like I haven't learned anything from the college that I didn't already know.

I was originally enrolled in a Bachelors degree program for computer science. They wouldn't tell me how much the program would actually cost. They informed me that the program would be covered by grants due to my EFC amount, however this was not the case. After about six months I figured out on my own that they were taking out multiple loans on my account. I had to switch to an associates degree program with a major in Network Systems Administration in order to finish my schooling.

The level of teaching is more than subpar. The professors do not care about the students. I had to complain multiple times to the administration and the professors that they were not answering questions for reports and labs. I had students emailing me complaining with the professor, multiple email chains that we were unhappy. I actually ended up getting a credit because we complained so much that we forced them into the decision where they ended up only charging us for half the class. Then they had the nerve to say that I could take it again but I would have to pay!

I strongly encourage anyone that is thinking of enrolling to Devry University to not do so. You have been warned!!! You may get lucky and finish your degree, but the bottom line is they are a for profit college and all they care about is money. They are currently facing an FTC lawsuit and the CEO stepped down after receiving $5 million in 2015. Imagine that! I am filing a complaint for a borrower defense to repayment. I highly encourage any student that has been wrong by Devry University to do the same. Make this school pay for what they did to their students.

Devry complaint. In 2009 I had been out of high school for a year and wanted to start school. In high school I had done a few web development classes and was pretty good at it. Since I wanted to do something with computers I figured that would be the route to go. I called devry because I saw the commercial and spoke to one of the councilors aka salesman which I didn't know at the time. After talking with him he sold me on doing a computer networking degree. Said they have job placement after I graduate and median income was 90k a year starting.

I was ready to go, I spoke to them about financial aid and they said I was approved for 100% of the amount because of my father's income, never was told in depth what I was being billed nor was I explained that 100% financial aid didn't mean that covered 100% of their prices. To add insult to injury they even said there was money left over and sent me checks not realizing that they were dispersing loans first then the financial aid so I was adding to what I owed even though I didn't know I was getting into debt in the first place.

After 6 months I was working at Hilton and they had network and communication employees and I spoke to a few of them, told them I was told 90k a year and they laughed and said back in the day that was true but I would be lucky to make 40k and that the job demand was on a huge decline. I was furious and went home to do research and find out that it was true the jobs weren't there and neither was the money. I stopped my classes because I felt scammed and mislead. The person who was a counselor was a salesman. I was told inaccurate information so they can drain government and bank loans on my behalf.

Somehow 6 months of school racked me up a 9k bill. I was 18, just had a kid and didn't even know that these checks were leftover because they pushed through the bank money first. Maybe they did this to sell the point that I was having leftover money not realizing I would owe it all back. These for profit schools need to be regulated and make sure these kids fresh out of high school are not deceived like I was. Now it has accumulated interest and I owe 18k for 6 months of school for a degree to job that didn't exist. Crazy world we live in where these companies can get away with this.

On August 22, 2016, I made an online request through Parchment to have my transcript sent from DeVry University to Capella University. I had not attended DeVry in over a year. After receiving no response, I finally called DeVry to find out why my transcript had not been released. The gal I spoke with could not figure out why. My account showed a $0 Balance, $0 Payment Due and $0 Past Due. Eventually, after being on the phone for approximately 25 minutes, she told me she would call me back. She called me a couple days later and told me the fees were associated with book fees from July 2015!

I explained that I only attended online and all of my books/materials were electronic. She said there are still fees for accessing the books through their portal. I told her I would not pay for "phantom fees" that I had not been made aware, known were being charged to my account nor ever billed for! I explained that according to my account, I had $0 past due payments and $0 balance. I told her that DeVry was "creating false charges" in an effort to prevent from my transferring to another college and coercing me into either completing my degree only with DeVry or to not complete my degree at all. I told her she needed to have the fees waived, and she stated she did not have the authority to do so. She stated she would have her supervisor, Josh, call me. That was weeks ago and I have not heard anything since. I sense a class action lawsuit may be in the future!

In May of 2009, DeVry did a presentation at my high school. They claimed I could earn a Bachelor's degree in half the time and for half the price. I originally wanted to get into medical or nursing school, but their admissions counselor talked me into a bachelor's in health services management, stating that if I ever wanted to run my own medical practice, I would need it. So I enrolled. They said my degree would cost about $25,000 and take 2 and a half years going part time. I signed up for federal loans and had a $1,000 scholarship through them. I was told I wouldn't have to pay anything, that my loans and scholarship would cover everything. They also had me try to apply for a Parent Plus loan, which was denied, so I had all unsubsidized and subsidized Stafford loans. I started with 2 classes in September of 2009. I did fine, attended 1 class in the winter (I worked 2 jobs). I received 2 Title V refunds while attending.

Every semester, I would get a statement and my account always showed a $0.00 balance. I attended 2 Spring classes. I failed one, along with my winter class. In June of 2010, right before the end of my Summer classes, I got a phone call stating I had a $1,500 balance that would have to be paid before I could register for my next class, and that I lost my scholarship because I was not attending full time. I was never made aware that my scholarship required me to go full time. I was out of state at the time of the call, so I told them I would call them when I returned. A week later, I called them back. I now owed them a balance of just over $3,000! When asked why, they said my loans didn't cover my cost and that I received a refund that I was suppose to use to pay my balance. When I asked why I even received a refund when there was an account balance, they said it must have been a mistake, but it was my responsibility.

Now, the refund they are talking about, I received in January of that year. It was now June. I had received 2 statements by June, all showing a $0.00 balance. They refused to work with me, so I was forced to withdraw. They called to start collection on the debt and refused to take less than $175 a month. I was now down to working one part time job, making $8.50 an hour, I had a car payment, auto and health insurance payments and helped pay the other bills at the time. I had no spare money to give! One person had the nerve to tell me, "You should have thought about all these bills you pay when you knew you owed us. If you can pay them, why can't you pay us?"

They began harassing me, calling constantly (in Florida, it is illegal to call so many times a day or to harass a customer). I eventually stopped answering. They sent it to collections twice, but each time, they take it back out of collections. They won't leave it there long enough to be written off. Every time I call to work something out, it's always, "You just have to pay it." It's been 7 years, I'm a stay at home mother and have been trying to go back to school, which I now can't because they refuse to release my transcripts. I was an impressionable 18 year old, looking to get an education fast and get a career. Now, I've got over $14,000 in student loan debt for 5 classes, in which only 2 of the credits transfer to the local community college. This place is terrible.

DeVry University is a for-profit university. They put profits first, then second the shareholders, third the government, fourth the employees of their fake schools, and finally the fifth/sixth taxpayers and students are last on the list in many cases are just ignored/abandoned. Now back to my review I majored in Computer Information Systems. I attended from 2013-2016. This was the most expensive school I ever attended. The classes were too fast paced, outdated e-textbooks, outdated class curriculum, and outdated software. The instructors were too lenient and have no to little knowledge what they were teaching, they passed students who have no business of passing.

In my second year I realized I don't want to work in the IT field so I wanted to change to business degree. The advisors denied me the opportunity to change my major and so I went through the major I had. All of the advisors from financial, academic, and career advisors were random each time you call them and were disinterested in the student's questions and inquires and concerns. They only cared if you miss a payment, then you can get in trouble with the school. They would deny you registering next sessions or semester of classes till you catch up on your payments and place you on academic hold.

I am not happy I finished my education here and now it prevent me from attending another legit school and other opportunities in the future. Many employers hiring did not require a degree in the IT field. They value work experiences and certifications over a degree. DeVry University already knew this before signing me up with them. They care about profits even though it ruins people lives. Almost whatever I was taught at DeVry could have been learned on YouTube or other teaching sites for many thousands cheaper price or even FREE. I learned more from general Google search than at 4-5 years at DeVry. DeVry is a SCAM and is worst decision in my life. Do not attend here... YOU BEEN WARNED.

They have completely robbed me of my degree. Every semester that I have taken I never had a balance. My balances were always paid in full then in 10/2015 out of nowhere I had almost a $6000 balance on my account for some error that they did from about 3 semesters prior to my October 2015 classes. When I asked them what the balance was from they said they issued funds that should not have been issued so now they want it back. Now in present day 09/2016, I have been scrambling trying to find funding to get them paid because I desperately want to finish my degree. They would not allow me to sign up for classes until the balance was paid. Finally my bank approved me for $3800. My account was sent to collections and I paid a settlement.

Now to add more insult to injury I tried to request a copy of my official transcripts and they will not allow me to get them or sign up for classes because there is still a little over $1000 balance on the account which I told them "if you all agreed to a settlement and you all got the money why are you all still holding my transcripts hostage." I was told the settlement will only satisfy getting them off my credit in order to get my transcripts and continue class I will have to pay the full balance.

How are they able to get away with this. This is not fair and I don't know what to do. I can barely afford to make the payments on the loan I took out to pay them and now they are still asking for money even though they agreed on a settlement. Stuff like this is why people have huge student loans and no degrees because they get completely screwed over by these schools. I just want a copy of my transcripts so that I can continue my degree at another institution. Is that too much to ask for.

Devry University has blocked me from registering for the remaining classes that will give me the 19 credits needed to complete my BA in CIS. I am very disappointed at them since they encouraged me to not change my major a few years ago when I learned that I did not get the full amount of financial aid being an online student. Even when I began struggling to make payment into my account, they advised me that I was not expected to pay the balance in full, but later changed their mind when it became more difficult for me to do so. I believe their behavior warrants an investigation for possible act of consumer deception.

DeVry has helped me take old knowledge and recycle it for applications in today's brand-oriented design market. My online class in design fundamentals, which instructs students in Adobe Illustrator, has exposed me to the current trends in the design world. It's not only important to gain a technical understanding of the Adobe app, but to combine these technical skills with art and design fundamentals into an integrated understanding of how the information in class can be applied in different scenarios for diverse future clients. Further insights can be absorbed and added into the mix from internet sources and interesting viewpoints obtained from DeVry's online library databases. I would recommend DeVry University to anyone, but especially the non-traditional student, who may be older (anywhere between 35 and 50), working full-time, and committed to a serious career change.

My experience at DeVry University has been phenomenal. The programs are set up in a clear and concise manner. The staff and advisors are always available to help and the curriculum is always on the pulse of industry trends. I received a Masters degree 20 years ago but this has been the best educational experience ever! I find technology used and the learning format to be conducive to my busy lifestyle and the professors have great passion for their field of instruction.

I would recommend this University to any working parent, or someone looking to get a quality education working around their busy schedule. If you have a hiccup or a bump in the road they give you the proper resources to make you successful. All you have to do is ask, and they are very helpful. It is more pricier than other online courses, but I feel it's worth it. I have no income, I am just a full time student, and mother. Just make sure you speak with your financial advisor and understand how many units your funding covers. I have read other people's reviews where they discredit this University, just understand what your funding allows you and you will be fine.

I have enjoyed going to college through the on-line experience with DeVry. The Professors have been great, very helpful in helping you understand the information of the class. I have been in the medical field for 16 years and studying at DeVry has helped me overcome some of the obstacles that I have faced in my life to be able to find a career that will make me better at what I do. The counselors and professors are always there to assist you in whatever you need. This experiences has been better than high school.

If you are in search of a team of professors and staff that are diligent in inspiring their students to seek all measures in learning Devry is definitely the school for you. I once had a fear of online classes due to not knowing what to expect. Upon completion of my first class online with Devry I was certain that this was the place for me. The professors are continuously posting information that you may reach out with questions and concerns about any assignment. One is never left confused on the other end of the terminal unless the desire is not present within self to elevate to the next level. There are also live webinars that professors provide if you are more of a visual learner. In life we all need a challenge to remind self that there are always more than one route to a solution. If you are that one who stare challenge head on and in search of a team that encourage your potential to the fullest I recommend that you inquire.

I was enrolled and I was told the financial aid was all set by DeVry. I enrolled for that semester doing the work and I found out when it was time for the final exam that I was not allowed to take the final. The reason after many phone calls to DeVry - I had a balance owed for that semester. DeVry sent the financial aid back that was supposed to pay for my classes. Then I got a bill from DeVry for around $3400 which I had to pay larger monthly payments than a regular student loan. No apologies and no way to take the final. All I got for the $3400 bill from them was an incomplete for the semester. I didn't take any other classes from them. Buyer beware!!!

Word of warning... Don't go to DeVry. Costs to attend DeVry are very high. One would think DeVry would provide adequate training for job hunting and help their students prepare and find work. I couldn't even get my resume posted on their web site even after asking them for help because their web site would not update my resume. Career services only offered to help with creating a resume after I completed a survey after I finished final classes. By then I already figured out, after a lot of research and time, how to write a 2016 resume. Still no offers to help me get connected with employers who will interview me and possibly hire me. Has been 4 months since I finished final class. I have student loans building up with added fees and interest from a loan servicer (Nelnet) that I didn't even want because they are the worst ones around, and still no job. I may be financially ruined soon.

Please do not attend this school unless you want to be overcharged, uncared for, and taken advantage of. Not to mention they break laws about pertaining to your loan services and do not care to fix mistakes on their part. I have been waiting to have Keller refund my money for months and no one seems to care even call me back when asked. They keep telling me they are working diligently on my issue, but yet it has been a month. Legal a university has to disburse any remaining funds to a student within 10 business days by law. No wonder why the school is getting sued. Beware.

In 2004, I was accepted to Ross School of Medicine and my love and passion blinded me from their fraud and lack of support. Through the 4 years no one ever talk about residency, all they wanted to finish with MD so they have earned enough of their money. I contacted many time to get help, guidance and they had nothing to say than do not give up. Last time Dr. ** said your case is as terminal cancer patient that even chemotherapy does not help. Insult and lies one after other. My attach picture give you a glimpse of their fraudulent activity.

I am a single mother of 4 kids and decided to go back to school to get my career started. I didn't do much review of DeVry and that may have been the biggest and first mistake ever! DeVry is not only one of the most expensive universities I've ever heard of but their administration is very rude and seem unqualified. After dropping a course the first week due to personal issues I was told by a financial tech that I would not be charged for the course because luckily I didn't go into the second week or else I would be still charged for the class. So week or two went by and I see I was still being charged for the class. I called financial dept again and was then told the first lady told me wrong and I was going to get charged the approx $2,000 for the class! So I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor said yes employee told me wrong. She was sorry and maybe she could get management to refund that amount.

2 weeks went by and still no response and I was still getting charged for the course. I keep getting the runaround. I put in a change of address and new phone # with them year ago and yet they still have not updated system. It seems to be one problem after another with this school. I see the huge bill already and have only been in school 1 year. I'm a single mom with no income yet financial aid and the loans I'm getting still barely pay for my schooling. Very unprofessional, unorganized, expensive and not worth it school. Thinking about changing schools since I've had nothing but bad experiences there. Would NOT recommend to anyone!!

I graduated from DeVry in 2012. Today, June 1, 2016, I called to request my transcript and was told that I had a balance of over $4,000. When I graduated, I had fulfilled my obligation to Devry and had a $0.00 balance. I was told that I owe a balance for Keller School of Management which I did not know about because I was receiving student loans. I had to withdraw from Keller to take care of my mom. I earned my diploma and transcript from DeVry and should not be denied to have what is mine!

I attended Devry University during 2009-2010. I was enrolled for 9 credit hours for summer, fall and spring semesters. That's 27 credit hours. I was sent a budget summary of 18,000. I received $5,600 from Pell grants. Leaving me with roughly 13,000 to pay. I now owe $48,000!!! According to my credit report they took 2 loans out on my behalf from Great Lakes one for 15,000 and another for 17,000. They transferred them to the department of education and then tack on another $9,000 plus interest fees of 6,000!!! I have been fighting this for years!!! I tried to set up a payment plan for the original amount owed but every time I tried to send in my documentation the emails would bounce back via domain error! Do not waste your time or money on this university! You will end up with a ton of debt and no education!

Compare Online Colleges