2.96/5
Based on 57 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

coloradotech.edu

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

125 Colorado Technical University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Their financial aid department sucks, they wait to do everything the last minute... I can’t wait until July gets here so I can transfer. They put anything in their notes, I do not recommend this school.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have greatly enjoyed attending the CTU Doctoral Symposium. The caliber of the distinguished faculty and staff are top notch! The accommodations at The Curtis Hotel are excellent. Thank you very much.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This school was fantastic till a few years ago. There had to be some kind of change and they brought in a bunch of idiots to run it. Billing doesn't have a clue what they're doing and the quality of the teachers has declined. The school is run at subpar level at best. Go somewhere else. Trust me you will be happy you did.

Resolution response: Jan. 14, 2018

Issue has been resolved

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I was given three separate wrong dates for when I would receive my Pell Grant. I was then given three separate excuses for why I hadn't received them. I am a veteran paying with the GI bill and the most recent excuse that CTU gave for withholding my Pell Grant was that they were waiting for the GI bill payment. There is a class action being prepared against this school which I will be joining.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My experience with CTU has been a roller coaster ride from day one. I first started my attempts to become a student in June of 2017. I applied, did my financial aid, and submitted my transcripts. I wanted to finish my master's degree and CTU had the right program. I liked the length of time it would take to complete it and the cost was reasonable. The first bad experience was with the Academic Advisor who I quickly realized must receive a commission from each student he gets started. The class that I was to take first had already started by the time I had everything completed but he was rushing me to hurry up and post a discussion board so that I could be counted for class attendance. However, I hadn’t received an award for financial aid yet and wasn’t even sure whether I would be given enough to pay for all of my tuition. Plus, I wanted the same chance everyone else received.

I had no clue of what was going on and I don’t like to be rushed so I didn’t do it. I had decided to wait until the next class to start but that wasn’t good enough. A few days later I received a call from the advisor asking why I didn’t turn the assignment in. Upon trying to explain my position I was cut off and the advisor became very rude and irate to the point where I had to hang up the call. He then made multiple attempt to call back until I had to block the number. A few days later I received an email saying that I had been withdrawn from the school per my request, I had done no such thing. About another month later I received an email stating that my transcripts had been evaluated for the bachelor's program and that I need 90 credit hours to complete my degree. I already have a bachelor's degree and had applied for the master's program.

A few weeks later I was contacted by another advisor who was very kind and understanding. Because of Jinny **, I decided to give CTU another chance. It started off great. I completed two classes and got A's. I like the format and speed at which the classes move and was beginning to really feel optimistic about my choice. All was well until I realized that several of the classes that I was scheduled to take were classes that I was supposed to be given the option to choose but was never given. When I inquired about this, I was told that I should have been given the choice but that I couldn’t make any changes until June which I still don’t understand and fear that I was just given an answer as pacification because come June when I make another attempt I will then be told the same thing.

The handbook states that I have a choice but no one else seemed to know that and if it was true, why was it never given to me. I take issue with paying for things that I have no decision in. The last and final straw came today upon receiving an email from my instructor informing me that I will be placed in a group for an assignment. I specifically asked in the very first conversation I ever had with anyone at CTU was there any group work as THAT would have been a deal breaker and I was told no! The extent that those representing CTU will go to “make the sell” is astounding! Finding information is difficult and I’ve read numerous reviews from others who have experienced the same.

Education is too expensive and way too valuable to be mishandled in this way. I refuse to spend money with organizations that operate unethically and when you lie or withhold the truth to further your cause, you are unethical. This will be my last class here at CTU and I will continue my search for an institution that I can be a part of and that I can graduate from and be proud of.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have received both my associates and bachelors (business) from CTU. I am currently earning my masters (all in business). There are both pros and cons about this school. The program is amazing! It is real-life scenario based and can be easily applied to the real world. However, on the downside - the financial aid department is HORRIBLE. They are poorly trained and they are great at assuming (you know what they say when you assume). After my associates degree, I found they cannot be trusted. They ALWAYS refund too much and then put your account on hold (literally the next day after they send you the stipend).

My suggestion is if you receive a refund - DO NOT spend it. While it can be tempting (unless you are a millionaire), make sure you they do not populate a balance before paying bills or going on a shopping spree. If you do (have a balance) - pay it or if you spend some of it (the stipend) make payment arrangements immediately. There is no use in calling them when it happens - they are CLUELESS. With all the money we pay them, I would think they would put more money into training one of the most important departments (could just be me).

Why did I stay? Once I figured out the financial aid portion, the program is great! If you attend now and your problem is the financial aid - learn the system yourself and manage your own funds (We can't expect them to do their job... right??). Additionally, I feel more comfortable handling/monitoring my own financial aid anyway - do not leave thousands of dollars in the hands of untrained employees. If you are planning on attending CTU - if you are responsible and good at time management (or willing to learn), you will do just fine. Attendance to the live chats are not mandatory, make sure you submit at least one assignment a week (to avoid them calling you and emailing every five minutes), submit assignments early if you can.

They have a early access period - this is a great time to get an idea of what your assignment will be (you can't actually submit), use this time to knock some of those assignments out early (do them and save them in a folder on your desktop), this way by week 4 you are done and have a week to kick your feet up (before the next session starts). TAKE THE FAST TRACKS - however, keep in mind, they are NOT transferable and DO NOT go towards your GPA (in other words don't stress about getting an A, just pass the thing) - if you plan on staying then go for it (they save hella time).

Example: I have only been at the school since 2014 and will be done with my Masters in 2018 - but I also did a lot of overloading. If you are considering changing schools or just want to "try it out" - DO NOT take the fast tracks. They mean nothing to other schools. They need some upgrading (technology wise) but they are working on it. Every session they are adding something new. Another downfall is they only have one graduation per year which is ridiculous. They should have one in winter and one in summer. They do not have a large turnout for their graduations (in other words most people just graduate virtually) because if they have to wait for over a year to walk - it's pointless. Sorry that this is one long run on sentence, but I hope it is helpful for someone. They have a virtual library - yea just use Google.

Career services - meh (they are helpful with formatting resume's not much more). Alumni - not many perks, a small discount here and there but that's it. Reminders: Financial Aid SUCKS - manage your own funding (You would not give 50,000 dollars to a 5 years old and tell them not to mess up your money, would you? Same concept here). DO NOT spend your stipend (Side note: if you get anything larger than 1500 there is a problem). Do assignments early. Keep pushing - hang in there no matter where you go to school. If I think of anything else, I will write another post.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

CTU makes you beg for your refund. This time was the worst. I received my VA deposit on December 12 in my CTU account. Being a father of 4, I had depended on it for Christmas. When I called on the 23rd, they informed they had until the 26th to release it. They are holding it to make money, but my family needed it for Christmas! They still haven't released It! I went here because they claimed to be military friendly, work with people who work, and cared about their students. One professor failed me at the last minute because two assignments were late. I even emailed him prior about my grandmother passing and explained the situation. I failed, lower GPA and I am paying for the class Again! Another great example of caring for your students! They know they have you though because you can't transfer out or you'll lose credits! It's a racket!

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Christopher, we are sorry to hear that you have found your experience frustrating. We did speak with our financial aid team and understand that the issue regarding your stipend has been resolved. Please do let us know if there’s anything additional we can assist you with. We wish you the best with your future educational endeavors.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I am very concerned about all the negative comments that have appeared on this site. CTU needs to be investigated because of all the negative reviews. However, I have not found this to be the case. I am halfway through my DM - Technology Management. The courses are very well balanced, the instructors are fair. I have not had any financial aid trouble, although I have not had to withdraw from a course. The negative reviews sound frightening, and I am deeply concerned that when I graduate from this program I will be in debt for $30,000 and just hope that the degree from CTU has a positive effect on my income, or this whole thing will be in vain.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I was told that by the counselors that the credits from Colorado Technical University were transferable so I signed up for classes. I was also told that if I had any problems with any of my classes I would get help, I would tutors available to me. I started struggling with business Algebra so I tried to sign up for a Tutor. I was told there were no Tutors available and that I should have signed up for the Tutor early on. I couldn't have known this information, when I was told tutors were available. This fact was not explained to me. I also could not have known that I would needed a tutor.

I left e-mails with the instructor that I was having difficulties on several occasions but never got a response. I sent several e-mails to my counselor with no response back so I started leaving phone messages after phone messages after phone messages and never got a single response. I finally gave up, quit my classes and left a final phone message to my counselor that I had quit. Finally I started getting messages on my phone that they were there to help me with whatever I needed. Interesting that nobody cared until I quit. Now I am stuck with a tuition from a College that would not help me and that was doing me no good at all. Without the Business Algebra there would have been no point in continuing the other classes because I would never have gotten my degree, without the counselor giving me advice I had no direction. I would never recommend this University to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

My experience was horrible. Financial aid first told me that I would be receiving a Skype in a refund and broke all the details down which made sense. After weeks of staying on constantly reaching out to them to remind them to review required documents and submitting everything in, it came down to the time to receive my aid. They informed me I wasn't receiving any and I had to pay out of pocket. They completely lied to me and kept me thinking I was going to receive money. Don't waste your time!

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Trent, we'd like to get some more details and have someone reach out to try to help help. Would you be willing to share your student ID with us so we can find you in our system? You can do this via private message here on Consumer Affairs, or you could also email us at social@coloradotech.edu.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My Daughter decided to switch to online school. Huge mistake. CTU now has her in collections for over $9000. They won't even talk to us when we call. They kept screwing up her Financial account, so they refunded over $6000 back to FAFSA and now they are going after her for it. And when it got screwed up they locked her out of her classes, so she failed several of them, so she now is having to pay again to take the classes. This is the absolute worst online school. I wish I was aware of who she was enrolling in before she did, because this so-called University is an absolute Scam, and there are thousands of Reviews similar to mine. Not sure how to get them investigated, but they need to be shut down.

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Amanda, we'd like to hear more about what the situation is to see if we can help. Could you please ask your daughter to email us at social@coloradotech.edu?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Been trying to get a serious problem resolved that continues to plague my son's account balance. A few semesters back, we had a serious overage in funds available through Stafford and Parent Plus loans, and they refunded $3300 back to the government and then charged it to my son's account. I keep asking for someone to explain to me how you send money back to the government as not needed, but place it as a charge to his balance that he owes. This is flat out robbery and I plan to contact the Attorney General in my state.

In fact, this refund to the government and charge to his account has happened twice. How do you refund money we never used back to the government from the loans, and then say my son owes the money to your school? If he needed the money, then it should have been applied to the account, not refunded back. What kind of accounting is this? I've been trying to get answers for over a year and nothing... They never call me when I ask them to, and they keep trying to call my son, which I have asked them to call me directly.

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Jerome, we’re sorry to hear of your frustrations. We take student confidentiality very seriously at CTU and, as such, we’re unable to discuss student accounts with anyone other than the student. If your son would like add a legal release to his file to allow this, please have him reach out and we can help facilitate that change. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

They are robbing me... I'm a student now and they are literally making sure I don't get a refund. This experience is so traumatic and frustrating, and I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone. I'm watching all my friends who chose other schools enjoy their refunds and get new computers and so on and so forth. I'm lucky to get 200 at some point. There is very little info what they are doing with MY money and they don't explain it to you. OMG I am in tears writing about this because I have tried to discuss it with them and it went ignored. I'm looking to others involved as I have read about similar issues. Let's get this looked into.

Colorado Technical University response

Hello Devyne, our team has attempted to contact you to discuss the issue.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

This school was great at first, I got two degrees in 4 years. That is until I got to my masters degree. I took three class and decided not to go any further because I took a different career path. They took most of my loans gave some back to the DOE, and somehow now I owe them money even though they got over 10,000 dollars in my loans. I only took 3 classes and each class is 2400 dollars. How the hell do I owe them money. I don’t recommend this school at all. If I had know that they were a FOR PROFIT SCHOOL from the beginning I would have never attended. They always take my loans first and not my Pell grants. I think they need looked into.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had been attending CTU since November 2016. The 13th of November made it a year. At first I felt as if it was a great school, and I was happy to attend because it was my first time being a student in any college. Throughout my online experience with this university, I have had a few ups and downs. At first, I was having a time passing a social psychology class. To me the class was so difficult. Around that time I was dealing with a very traumatic experience. April 14, Iost a very close relative in a very traumatic way. I had fallen behind in my courses. I talked to someone about being dismissed from the university because I know I was too far behind, and by then I was to discouraged to go further. The rep insisted that I continue. So I did. I ended up dropping a class and repeating it the next go round. a few months ago, I was placed on FA probation, due to having a low GPA.

I had a chance to explain what had been happening over the last few months. I told them the truth. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression because of the death of a very close relative. Even ended up in the hospital on suicide watch. Fast forward, the appeal was approved. I am currently being dismissed from the university, and I honestly don't feel that it's right. I have been trying my very best to meet the SAP requirements. I don't feel as if I was given enough time, and my eligibility was based off of classes I had already had trouble in before. I also notice that the assignments don't change, even if there is a different instructor. I feel as if this school should give me another chance at this because I don't feel that they were fair with the way that they did things.

Colorado Technical University response

Hello, we're very sorry to hear about the troubles you experienced. We asked our team to reach out and understand that you have spoken to the admissions team to discuss your concerns at length.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

One of the best ideas I ever took on. When in grammar school Video learning through movies was the best. I always thought Computer generated classes would work for me and I was right. Hard work, but rewarding experience that taught me more than just words on a page. I met some great people that I still keep in touch with. After learning MS Office I was able to earn a 3.80 GPA ASBA. It's a lifelong learning experience.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I would suggest that if you do anything outside of what the original program set up for you to do with the schedule and classes, make sure you talk to Financial Aid, and student accounts and as your advisor in fact I have found that forcing them to document changes to your account is done in writing. A lot of the system is automated and they all don't interlink and sometimes you need to notify them of the error. If you find a grave error immediately asked to talk to a manager who has the ability to authorize a correction to it. I had some major issues upon my graduation, more errors with the financial aid, and really went into a panic mode sending everybody emails.

Many of those who were ignored then I went back to my PLA advisor and sent him an email and in 10 minutes he had figured out what the problems were and told me how to fix them and fix them on his end. I wish I had gone to him originally because I went to three weeks of drama and anxiety worrying that I was not going to get to graduate because of this outstanding account error and it would get withdrawn from the master's program because they couldn't generate my transcript.

Anyway he fixed it so what you need to do is find a person and I would suggest talking to any of the PLA advisor. They know everything and get stuff done. They were the Saving Grace to my experience. I suffered quite a few medical issues during my experience and they were all very kind and understanding. I think the one thing I should really emphasize is if you don't get a response send an email to every Department all in the same email. Make sure it's sent with high priority and a read receipt. :-) Just keep doing it until you get someone to respond or at least point you in the right direction.

If you know how to be aggressive and assertive and take screen prints of your accounts every day and make sure to go through your desktop and read all of the required documentation and understand that you should probably never e-sign anything, that way you don't have any surprises and they can't just make adjustments or send you emails that you never read. This has been the best experience of my life and I am very proud of myself and you can too. I want to name a couple of my professors and the wonderful people in the PLA department but I don't think they'll let me.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Loved the presentations and the workshops, however I would give at least a 1-hour to 2-hour break for people in the middle of the day to decompress, especially those that have back problems. Sitting so long is very uncomfortable. Other than that I thought it was excellent.

Colorado Technical University response

We're so glad you attended, Javeshnev. Thank you for the feedback as well.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

DM - Global Leadership - My first symposium and my jitters for my journey are calmed. The excitement remains. I do realize the journey will be my greatest challenge; however, with the networking and 100% support of CTU I will succeed! Bottom line, an amazing experience coupled with fun and engaging workshops. I look forward to my next symposium!

Colorado Technical University response

Lisa, we are here to support you along your journey. Thank you so much for attending, and we're proud to call you a student!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I am tired of begging for funds from Colorado Technical University Online, especially, since my coursework in each of my courses are completed up to unit 3, with 2 out of 2 assignments graded with A's and B+. They need to Post My Funds, or, I promise I will walk away from this institution, that I just graduated from with my Associates in June of 2017, and no more work in any of these course will be completed until you do. I am tired of being harassed and my funds being released on Fridays, so that you give the bank the opportunity to make money off my federal funds under my social security number due to the bank CTU ONLINE OWNS DO NOT PROCESS OR BETTER YET DIRECT DEPOSIT FUNDS THAT BELONG TO YOU ON FRIDAY, Saturday, or Sunday, but they do make money off your low income federal funds in my name.

Now, I do have parents with Ph.D.’s so they must understand I will contact the corporate offices of this institution, as well provide them with proof of everything I am saying and that you have said, because all of my calls with them from the beginning of our business relationship has been recorded and I will be taking their school code off my FASFA, so that they will no longer have access.

I am tired of begging for funds that belong to me, now, this morning I will be contacting the federal government about it all, because for one, I really do not understand why students must go through a bank they basically own, that holds our federal funds and makes $8 dollars off every dollar of mine and other low income students federal school funds, and I am going to expose them because we should be able to have our funds go straight into our own bank accounts, not one that they have business partnered with to obtain more funds off our federal low income FASFA grants and unsub and sub loans in my name, that I am responsible for paying back.

Now I did research and found a educational institution CSU, that actually charges $112 a course hours and they direct deposit credit balances that belong to the student, directly into an bank account of their choice, not being wrapped up in some type of mafia situation where our federal funds are being held hostage, and money made off of it, first with this educational institution then the same thing is done by the bank YOU OWN. VIBE BANK. SO, my parents have contacted the government in regards to everything I have just discussed and we are also in contact with local and international media outlets, like MSNBC, CNN, etc. to expose this institution, because if they and their bank is doing this to me, with your BEST PRACTICES, then they are operating this way with a number of others and that's unacceptable. Thank you & I hope you have a very nice day!

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Lavaughn, we see you have been in contact with Financial Aid, and have begun to work with them on some of these issues. Please feel free to email us at social@coloradotech.edu to discuss further your concerns around your stipend disbursements.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

In August of 2015, I enrolled with Colorado Technical University and just recently graduated to be hit with fees that were applied to my account because financial advisors at CTU either did not fully evaluate my income to award appropriately, during FSFA considerations, or this was a bait and switch to get me to continue my education through CTU. However, in 2015, I completed the FSFA documents and application process as instructed using my 2014 tax return and was awarded $2,039.59 for the school term from August 16, 2015 – May 10, 2016.

In 2014, I was employed at AT&T making an annual income of nearly $61,000 a year + bonuses, yet I was still able to qualify for the awarded amount. Additionally, the financial aid department awarded $2,362.07 from May 15, 2016 – February 9, 2017, using the tax return of 2015, and they awarded $2,745.01 from February 14, 2017 – November 9, 2017. Since then they have changed these amounts in their system; however, I still have the original documents, and thank goodness for that because then I would sound crazy. I do want to take this opportunity to also notate that I am a veteran of the United States Air Force and I used the Post 911 GI Bill for school, so technically I did not need grant money.

However, the financial advisor insisted on it since it was extra income and I did not want to take on any student loans. That sounded appealing since in July of 2015 I resigned from AT&T due to health concerns, which were identified as being service connected later, and I thought that would be good to have some extra income to take care of things at home and for my six year old (at the time). I had no issues with financial aid until I got close to graduation, and CTU claims that there was an audit by the DOE, yet during the audit they only considered my 2014 tax returns and not my 2015-2016 returns, which showed a significant loss of income and now they are telling me I owe $911.66 for either a mistake they made.

I escalated this inquiry to their lead Curtis (Curt) **, who assured me that I would need to submit an appeal and he ensured me that we could get it done before I was done with my final two classes. As nice as he is, I feel he just shuffled me off in the end, because we first began this appeal process in July and we’re just getting a “final answer” from the financial advisors today (October 2, 2017) that the appeal has been denied. Curt has taken weeks to keep me updated and I’m usually the one reaching out to him. The first delay he indicated that the Department of Education was having a hard time accepting their school code, which last 2-3 weeks before it was resolved.

Once that “problem” was resolved he asked for me to provide my disability compensation that I receive from the VA, which was fishy because none of the FSFA applications ask for disability compensation. However, I provided my annual income and disability to be told today that there was not a significant income loss when I make nearly half of what I was making at AT&T minus bonuses. There is so much more to this story but I feel myself getting too exhausted to dive into it any more than I have to already, but I will say this looking back on my communications with CTU, Curt ** was one of the financial advisors I spoke to in August of 2015, when I first enrolled.

I feel the school has taken advantage of me, and if they have done this to one of this country’s veterans then it has happened to others as well. I feel that CTU should dissolve the $911.66 out of their own budgets since it was their error in the first place. Furthermore, I feel the Department of Veteran Affairs should remove this school from supported online schools that they will fund in the future.

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Kenneth, we saw your review on Facebook as well, and are sorry to hear your frustration around this situation. We're currently attempting to reach out to you to try to help, and hope we can help with some of these issues.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I have to say I was truly happy with my experience at CTU for the most part! I was working on my 4-year degree but started out obtaining an associate degree first. I was recommended by my adviser and it was a great ideal. After completing my associate degree, I continued working on my 4-year degree in Business Administration (Project Management). I also had a major change in my employment working in the biotech industry that required 75-80 travel within the USA. The way CTU online is structured I was able to join classes and do my homework while sitting in hotel rooms which was a big help. I was obtaining financial aid/loan which help a lot.

As I was nearing the last year of my degree program, I was allowed to continue taking courses but was never notified of any issue with my FAFSA. I needed to update my FAFSA and I had to obtain my tax transcripts. To make a long story short, once my FAFSA was completed I was told the coursed I took I did not have any funding and I received a tuition bill for $9,000 and the school withdraw me due to the balance owe. I do not understand why this was not caught well in advance that would have given me the opportunity to correct the issue early on. Now I'm stuck, unable to complete my degree and no way to continue unless I paid off the $9,000.

While this was occurring, I lost my job (due to layoffs) and was out of work for 4 years and unable to obtain my degree that would have been a big help in obtaining a job in the same field. I made multiple to request for help and even write a letter to the dean explaining the issues and my situation but never even got an acknowledgment of any kind. I was only asking for a little help or for them to meet me halfway so I could pay off the balance that would let me continue my degree. I understand I should have been on top of this issues but I did not of the issues how could I've have fixed the problem before it got out of hand. I would highly recommend CTU for someone who works fulltime or who is on the road traveling a lot. But, you must stay on top of your financial aid and student loan because you cannot depend on CTU advisers/financial aid department to keep you out of trouble.

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Keith, thank you for the feedback and your review. You were a motivated student and we'd like to try to understand your situation more to see what we can do to help. We'll reach out in a private message to ask for more details.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

Professor **, is a wonderful Instructor! I enjoyed her class, and live chats. Prof. **, I will recommend to anyone, who wants to be in Literature. I learned a lot more, than I had expected from Literature: It is amazing class with Prof. **.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I am from small town Louisiana, I began my journey with CTU in October 2015, at the age of 46. On September 20, 2017 I submitted my last assignment in earning my BSBA-Project Management. Each one of us encounters obstacles that make us wonder if this additional burden is worth it. Well for me it was. I encountered the obstacles, after relocating to Georgia from Louisiana my mother's health became an issue for months. At a time I had to come home to help with her health care. I found myself using my schoolwork as a way to get away from the mental stress of my mother's health issues by focusing on my class assignments. It helped me stay positive and has taught me that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. I am very pleased with my experience at CTU.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

CTU was the biggest mistake I have ever made. The so called teachers are to say the least heartless. I was on the Dean's list while going to this school, and during the winter of 2008 I had an unfortunate death in the family which prevented me from my assignment. I emailed my teacher and informed them that I would still turn in the paper even though I had a lot going on, to which they responded that if I didn't have it there on time don't turn it in, because it now cut into their vacation. I have been hounded non stop by the financial aide office for withdrawing from my classes. At the time of enrollment, my mother was active duty military and I was on the G.I. Bill.

Had I known what I know now I would have NEVER signed up for this scam school. I was talked into getting a loan on top of my Pell Grant and help from FASFA. I NEVER received my refund from this school and was told when I called that it had been sent back to the lender. Funny because, how do you send money earned for school back to lender without it being a loan? Had I been in the State I would have gone in personally, but since I am in Virginia that made this experience 10 times worse. I would NEVER recommend this school, faculty or staff. This school is a scam and a lawsuit should be brought against them.

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Shanell, we're sorry for the tragedy in your family. We are trying to reach out to you to discuss your concerns on financial aid, and will attempt to contact you via email as well to try to help.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I want to say that I recommend CTU online classes to family and friends all the time. I also stress for them to get their education early and not wait years as I did. If I had it to do again CTU online would still be the institution for me to attend.

Resolution response: Sept. 15, 2017

The complaint I have and message that consumers should be informed of, particularly students wishing to receive their education via online from Colorado Technical University (CTU), is that for the most part they can expect diversity as involving culture parallel of quality instructors. For the most part, that has been my experience. Aspiring matriculating students should also be aware of the urgent need for working independently in order to acquire the level of learning essential to proper success. Although there will probably be some instructors who appear not to be as efficient and caring as others, the general situation is that counselors/academic coaches will be available to assist where possible.

Now as concerning finances CTU is somewhat expensive; it is not a nonprofit. This is not to suggest that nonprofit educational institutions are not to be trusted. One must decide for himself the type that best suits his specific desires and needs. Nevertheless, there is nothing quite as important as being prepared, which brings me to the conclusion.

If a student is on a tight budget such as that circumstances require immediate access to financial aid pertinent to disbursement of refunds, the designated allowable 14-day period may be more of a window to escape the wait than for some more student-centered, colleges. Even so, this may not in every instance occur. Just realize that after students tuition and fees have been paid and additional funds are remaining for the creation of an eligible stipend one should relax and pray (for 14 days to pass quickly; just call the creditors and hopefully they will grant mercy).

So pray hard, while preparing for a delay in case patience happens to be among one's short-leashed virtues. For maintaining a mindset of hope alone can help in establishing an individual's character. On a personal note, CTU is not the problem. Certain persons in positions of authority at times will seem to have lost their way, but this could be the case at any organization. This may be why a certain flexibly dynamic type, whose propensity for managing problems is strong, would likely be the kind of student better suited to answer the call to attend CTU.

Why? The answer lies within elements of focus attributive of environments in need of balance, which is reportedly why many CTU students and alumni enjoy the challenge. What an amalgamation of ideas and mix of interests! Well, if you were looking for a put-down of this university, I am afraid this is the best put-down that I can offer; because it is as the old adage relates: What a person makes of a situation is usually what he gets [gains].

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

While I appreciate times what my school has done, what is fair is ethical, I cannot excuse the idea of deceptive practices of which I am aware. Allow me to give a recent event that leads me to disclose this review. After a CTU Financial Aid administrator had told me via phone that a request for the other half of my funds had been made on the 5th of the month [September], after a few days of there being no reflection of said information my student account, I called again and was told that the school is still waiting on the Department of Education to send the funds. The representative also said that it could take up to two weeks, depending on how soon the Dept. of Education responds.

Shortly after, I contacted the Dept. of Education. A certain representative informed me to call and ask to speak to a Financial Aid Advisor, because they (the Dept. of Education) sent the funds all at one time; it is the school that divides it up over separate disbursements. I was also informed by the Department of Education that as a student, I could request to receive these funds all at once, which I had filled out forms to do so, though this has never occurred in the time I have been a CTU student (a while now, considering that I am completing the master's program in less than 2 weeks).

Also, it is not for me only that I issue this complaint; I realize that other students are being given false information as well, and I would like for something to be done to ensure that this practice ends. I value my education and I’m appreciative of all efforts made in facilitating my educational tenure at CTU. However, it is not in the best interests of students to knowingly allow wrongs to be committed and to thereafter to pretend that nothing has transpired.

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Lorrie – we're sorry that you feel you were misinformed. We do not want our students to have that experience and we would like to work with you in addressing your concerns. We've found your record and will be reaching out to you soon to help.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I am looking for other past students that were lied to or mislead by Academic Advisor's or Admissions for a class action lawsuit. Please email me at ** with your story and contact information and we will add you to the list. I was misled and it has resulted in a $1733 bill. I have faxed my information to them twice and one department says they have it, another says they don't. My employer even sent them information (since it was employer paid benefit for education) and still nothing has been done to resolve the issue. There is no accountability. I look forward to hearing from others who have experienced like situations.

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Tammy – we are sorry to hear that you feel you were misled. We do not want our students to feel this way and we would be happy to work with you in addressing your concerns. We have record of your concerns on file and have attempted to reach out to you by both phone and email on over five different occasions over the past 2 months. We have not heard back from you. If you are interested in working with us on your concerns, please contact help@coloradotech.edu with your current contact information and we will attempt to reach out to you again.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

This school is a scam! One of my instructors states my OV score was too high and gave me an F. I knew I didn't copy it from anywhere but she told me to contact Tech which I did. They said it was just an error and they sent her an email along with student advising. She did not respond in the time she was required. The school informed me they dropped the ball and they would fix it, they didn't. I had to take the class again but the teacher kept giving me Fs because she was upset I filed a complaint so I had to take it for a 3rd time even though I had never received any bad grades in any other classes.

My papers went before an academic review board and they sided with the instructor just so they can take more money from me. I graduated but am now told I owe $4000. I've been reading these reviews and it looks that they do this to a lot of people. The instructors are not professional and the school acts like they care but they don't. The only way to handle it is to talk to the BBB, Higher Board of Education and maybe even legal if they do not respond to my emails I have sent. This school needs to be held responsible for trying to scam their students.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

My name is Charlene **. CTU has change my life in two ways, one I am a ** 55 year old student who lives in one of the largest Public Housing in Richmond Va., who stop believing that attaining a higher education was possible. After attending CTU and getting my Associate and now working on my Bachelor's degree I now know if you are willing to work very hard you will get to your goal of getting your degree. Yes, you have to change the way you manage your time and attitude about working on your degree. With that though in mind it leaves me to my second reason is I had to determine what is important to me that would keep me striving towards working on getting my degree. I had to stop making excuses for why my life was the way it was and realize that only person that can hinder me from getting my prize was me or other words my degree was me.

The more I started to look at my life and studying what it take to be a Project Manager I started to realize some of the same elements that it takes to be a successful Project Manager is what I need to be a productive citizen. I am using what I have learned at CTU to make better decisions for myself and my family. I truly recommend this school to students who have a mind to be the best at what they want to in the future. This school is not for college student. This college is for students who know the educational path that they would like to study and do not want to stay in school for years to get a degree. Yes, the school does cost more than a state school but sometimes if you was to be the best at what you want to be you may need to invest more than just the average student investing in their college education.

I am so glad attaining my prize is worth the time and the money that is needed to attend a world class education. Yes, many have tried and failed trying to get their education degree at CTU but only talking about my experience here at CTU I did get my degree and I'm using what learned and learning to attain my second degree. CTU can do it all for me to get my educational goal. I have to network with people in my field and learn from their experiences in my field. I am focus to the very end and hope if you are coming here you are too.

Colorado Technical University Company Information

www.coloradotech.edu

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use