3.36/5
Based on 75 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

coloradotech.edu

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Last updated: April 13, 2018

147 Colorado Technical University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 13, 2018

Regina was my admission advisor. Without her assistance and "checking -in to make sure you are breathing" help, I don't know that I would be in my doctoral program. She "held my hand" and walked me through the process and I feel honored to be a student at CTU.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The Doctoral Symposium is such an excellent opportunity that every Doctoral student needs to attend because of the guidelines from the CTU faculty, the networking event between other Doctoral students who are walking the same journey as yourselves. Great time.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 13, 2018

When I applied online and I received an email and phone call from Admissions Advisor. He explained the whole admission process. He made sure that I will apply to CTU. He helped with the paperwork and after 14 days I was admitted to my doctoral porgram at CTU. Thanks Chris ** for the awesome Admission Advisor.

Original review: April 13, 2018

This symposium is great not just for networking with faculty and doctoral classmates but invaluable to completing the doctoral journey. This where one learns about all and everything one needs to succeed and earn a Doctoral Degree. See you guys in October 2018.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Very informative, enjoyed the camaraderie and support from the faculty and Administrative team. Very impressive Foundations of Dissertation, Library Resources and Alumni workshop. Thank you CTU for making feel encouraged and inspired to complete the journey.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Each session had important takeaways which will contribute toward successfully completing my doctoral journey; however, as a new student attending my first symposium, I must say the Creating the Foundations of Your Dissertation was the most valuable session I have attended so far. The early morning optional sessions which build upon what you learn in this session would be more valuable if the Creating Foundations session was a required session available to first-time students on the first day.

Original review: April 13, 2018

First Symposium - This is an excellent experience for students who are starting their doctoral program. You get a lot of information about the dissertation process and you are able to connect with people who are studying the same topics as you. Those people will be a great resource throughout the doctoral journey.

Original review: April 12, 2018

The doctoral journey has been one of the most humbling and rewarding personal experiences of my life. The quality of leadership and expertise in the process of the dissertation journey and in building students into research experts is outstanding.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I was so excited to start my program and after 3 years so excited to complete this accomplishment. I have enjoyed every step and the experience has changed my life! So many opportunities are open and the future is bright.

Javares Mayo of Tampa, FL

Original review: November 27, 2017 Concorde Career College had a dental assistant program that I wanted to do. There were about 20 people in my classes. I like their staffs and instructors' level of professionalism and knowledge about their job. Concorde is an amazing school to go to. You just need to stay focused to succeed.

AdConsumer recommended
Original review: April 12, 2018

I came to CTU to finish my Doctorate in Computer Science with Cyber Security and Information Assurance (DCS-CSIA). This university has a very novel approach of encouragement support to help each student reach and exceed their goals. I will always highly recommend this experience to others. If you want to finish what you start and succeed at each step then this is the place.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I started CTU in 2015, and since that time I have worked very diligently to graduate on time. My colleagues have started their programs in a brick and mortar university, yet I'm graduating in June 2018. I thank this program for providing structure as well as educating me for these three years.

Original review: April 12, 2018

CTU Symposium - This event has always been well organized and extremely user friendly. Staff is courteous and willing to help no matter how small the matter. Ms. ** and her advising team (Kendra, Benjamin & Dr. **) are knowledgeable and bend over backwards to address student concerns. Faculty is superb!!! Thank you.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Throughout the entire Symposium, the Staff and the Professors, especially Mrs. **, was amazing. They were extremely helpful, helped me decide/focus my dissertation topic, and made sure I got the most out of the Symposium experience.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have been with CTU since my ASGS. I have completed an ASGS, MBA, and now a DM-GL. The experience has been wonderful! I would recommend CTU to anyone who wants a great education. The material, the staff, and the university as a whole are stellar.

Original review: April 7, 2018

FRAUD. Colorado Technical University is an accredited for-profit college with both online courses and physical locations in CO, offering Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Their parent company, Career Education Corp., has recently paid out $10M in a settlement concerning allegations of falsified job placement practices, and deceiving students about accreditation. 'Technical' problems while enjoying a wealth of students from around the country.

Colorado Technical University has also come under nationwide scrutiny for a series of complaints, lawsuits, and fraud reports that include alleged incidents of the following: Refusal of access to transcripts, fabricated charges in excess of $4k, with no available contact for recourse or appeal. Deception with regard to career potentials and job placement programs. Circular bureaucratic transfer being used to deter students from resolving false charges. Students receiving poor or no customer service. Failed promises of guidance from an advisor. Deceptive recruiting tactics, misrepresent of job placement rates and have high rates of student loan default and student withdrawal. Student debts being sold to multiple collection agencies. Abuse of US veterans and VA loan programs. Predatory sales practices.

As a recruitment mill, they signed up just about anyone off the streets? I fell victim to their fraud scam, as they lured me into a contract and debt... I never graduate from high school, so they even lied on the application as well just to get the money from "Department Of Education"! These fraudulent online college degree are straight bogus? For the same price of well established university, Colorado Technical University online sells you a high school level education, and when you realized you have been scammed, they neglect and ignore all of your contacts and requests. Not even a college transcript for whatever credits you did earned, by the way the credits are not even transferable to a local junior college!

Original review: March 29, 2018

I just wanted to share the great experience that I had with technical support today with CTU. I was having issues logging into the student portal and downloading the student MS Office package. I called in and a gentleman named Melvin helped me get everything taken care of. From resetting the password to troubleshooting my browser, he thoroughly and patiently walked me through the problem and the solution. He then helped me set up my MS Office and now I am ready to start school with CTU. By far the best experience I have ever had with any technical support and this experience helps me look forward to working with the university in the future.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I currently owe CTU over $4000 because they added a check for tuition reimbursement from my employer twice on my account when there was only one check. After this entry mistake they processed pell grants and disbursed 2 refunds and sent me to collections saying that I owe them. When I called to make payment arrangements I was told they need a $483 down payment and then it would be a nearly $400 monthly payment!!! They were not willing to work with me on this. I am a single parent and this was the school's mistake. Are you kidding me? Not to mention both people I spoke to were extremely rude.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I am 51 and just started college in October and I'm already in debt for over $9000. This is with financial aid, Grant's, and loan's. I've only received about $800 total in refunds and everyone I know gets back thousands. I don't understand what's going on with the financial aid department. They are completely lost. I have seriously considered switching school's.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I did not like the weak curriculum courses that mainly consisted of posting to a discussion board so I decided to go to a real university. The first 5-10 calls about going back didn't bother me too much I just told them I am going to a different school. Know I receive at least 2-3 calls a day from one of their call centers from different numbers so no matter how many numbers I block they just keep calling even after I said to stop. Will never recommend this low standard and harassing program.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have been with CTU within the last 5 years. There been good moments with the school. I had to leave in 2017 due to financial aid funds. Then down the road CTU re-entry calls me to try to get back. I said okay. Then they open student portal for me. The funds are available and they say, "Oh sorry. Not enough funds." No problem and again few months later again I said okay one more time lol. Like always I tell them, "Don't have funds to complete school." This be my third time lol, this time financial office say do this do that, OMG lol, third is a charm. This time told CTU please calling and these ** at the school hope would stop calling my phone lol.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I am so tired of looking at bad reviews given to CTU. If you look at those reviews, it really shows WHY they gave bad reviews. It has NOTHING to do with the school. It has to do with students that do not put work into their own future. The programs is wonderful. You have no books to purchase, the instructors are very understanding and helpful, and it's reasonably priced compared to other schools. The RN to BSN program was easy to complete. There was no need to register for the classes you need. The school took care of it from day #1. I had tried to register with other schools, including my hometown college without any help from the advisers, only to become frustrated, which ultimately made me decide to put off my schooling. BOTTOM LINE: If you are thinking of furthering your career, please consider CTU. You will not be disappointed.

Original review: March 1, 2018

The IT and programming courses offered seemed promising, but once I got through the classes, I discovered they were too easy and too many of my seemingly clueless fellow students were passing their classes. I was putting in a lot more effort and had a lot more experience in the fields of study than my fellow students, and I know this based on our team-oriented tasks and the many times they would contact me before they even contacted the professor simply because I would respond faster. Almost every single teacher was an adjunct professor in my classes, and the "live chats" were little more than PowerPoints and lectures.

Few teachers offered to discuss anything on the topics they teach outside of what was covered in the PowerPoint slides. One exception, however, was my math teacher, who was surprisingly educational and very motivational. I think CTU needs to invest more money into making their IT courses modern and with-the-times. The coursework needs to be more challenging, and the professors need to be more knowledgeable about my fields of study. Fifty thousand dollars of debt should get me a lot closer to my career's entry level job than this CTU program ever did.

Why are half my classes in pseudocode? Why can't my professors install a simple local server to try my PHP-powered websites instead of requiring me to manually copy HTML code from one page to the next? Why can't the professors teach a language that's actually used in my work, like PHP or C#? Why not offer the students a greater wealth of resources to make sure they have jobs during school? Some skills you may find useful after exiting the BSIT program: Microsoft Word formatting, citations and similar writing/typing tasks; Math. Outside of that, most of the coursework is very outdated and useless. Most of the program was very dull and uninteresting. I wish I could have spent the loan money on starting a business instead. Wink wink.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Their financial aid department sucks, they wait to do everything the last minute... I can’t wait until July gets here so I can transfer. They put anything in their notes, I do not recommend this school.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have greatly enjoyed attending the CTU Doctoral Symposium. The caliber of the distinguished faculty and staff are top notch! The accommodations at The Curtis Hotel are excellent. Thank you very much.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

This school was fantastic till a few years ago. There had to be some kind of change and they brought in a bunch of idiots to run it. Billing doesn't have a clue what they're doing and the quality of the teachers has declined. The school is run at subpar level at best. Go somewhere else. Trust me you will be happy you did.

Resolution response: Jan. 14, 2018

Issue has been resolved

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I was given three separate wrong dates for when I would receive my Pell Grant. I was then given three separate excuses for why I hadn't received them. I am a veteran paying with the GI bill and the most recent excuse that CTU gave for withholding my Pell Grant was that they were waiting for the GI bill payment. There is a class action being prepared against this school which I will be joining.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

My experience with CTU has been a roller coaster ride from day one. I first started my attempts to become a student in June of 2017. I applied, did my financial aid, and submitted my transcripts. I wanted to finish my master's degree and CTU had the right program. I liked the length of time it would take to complete it and the cost was reasonable. The first bad experience was with the Academic Advisor who I quickly realized must receive a commission from each student he gets started. The class that I was to take first had already started by the time I had everything completed but he was rushing me to hurry up and post a discussion board so that I could be counted for class attendance. However, I hadn’t received an award for financial aid yet and wasn’t even sure whether I would be given enough to pay for all of my tuition. Plus, I wanted the same chance everyone else received.

I had no clue of what was going on and I don’t like to be rushed so I didn’t do it. I had decided to wait until the next class to start but that wasn’t good enough. A few days later I received a call from the advisor asking why I didn’t turn the assignment in. Upon trying to explain my position I was cut off and the advisor became very rude and irate to the point where I had to hang up the call. He then made multiple attempt to call back until I had to block the number. A few days later I received an email saying that I had been withdrawn from the school per my request, I had done no such thing. About another month later I received an email stating that my transcripts had been evaluated for the bachelor's program and that I need 90 credit hours to complete my degree. I already have a bachelor's degree and had applied for the master's program.

A few weeks later I was contacted by another advisor who was very kind and understanding. Because of Jinny **, I decided to give CTU another chance. It started off great. I completed two classes and got A's. I like the format and speed at which the classes move and was beginning to really feel optimistic about my choice. All was well until I realized that several of the classes that I was scheduled to take were classes that I was supposed to be given the option to choose but was never given. When I inquired about this, I was told that I should have been given the choice but that I couldn’t make any changes until June which I still don’t understand and fear that I was just given an answer as pacification because come June when I make another attempt I will then be told the same thing.

The handbook states that I have a choice but no one else seemed to know that and if it was true, why was it never given to me. I take issue with paying for things that I have no decision in. The last and final straw came today upon receiving an email from my instructor informing me that I will be placed in a group for an assignment. I specifically asked in the very first conversation I ever had with anyone at CTU was there any group work as THAT would have been a deal breaker and I was told no! The extent that those representing CTU will go to “make the sell” is astounding! Finding information is difficult and I’ve read numerous reviews from others who have experienced the same.

Education is too expensive and way too valuable to be mishandled in this way. I refuse to spend money with organizations that operate unethically and when you lie or withhold the truth to further your cause, you are unethical. This will be my last class here at CTU and I will continue my search for an institution that I can be a part of and that I can graduate from and be proud of.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I have received both my associates and bachelors (business) from CTU. I am currently earning my masters (all in business). There are both pros and cons about this school. The program is amazing! It is real-life scenario based and can be easily applied to the real world. However, on the downside - the financial aid department is HORRIBLE. They are poorly trained and they are great at assuming (you know what they say when you assume). After my associates degree, I found they cannot be trusted. They ALWAYS refund too much and then put your account on hold (literally the next day after they send you the stipend).

My suggestion is if you receive a refund - DO NOT spend it. While it can be tempting (unless you are a millionaire), make sure you they do not populate a balance before paying bills or going on a shopping spree. If you do (have a balance) - pay it or if you spend some of it (the stipend) make payment arrangements immediately. There is no use in calling them when it happens - they are CLUELESS. With all the money we pay them, I would think they would put more money into training one of the most important departments (could just be me).

Why did I stay? Once I figured out the financial aid portion, the program is great! If you attend now and your problem is the financial aid - learn the system yourself and manage your own funds (We can't expect them to do their job... right??). Additionally, I feel more comfortable handling/monitoring my own financial aid anyway - do not leave thousands of dollars in the hands of untrained employees. If you are planning on attending CTU - if you are responsible and good at time management (or willing to learn), you will do just fine. Attendance to the live chats are not mandatory, make sure you submit at least one assignment a week (to avoid them calling you and emailing every five minutes), submit assignments early if you can.

They have a early access period - this is a great time to get an idea of what your assignment will be (you can't actually submit), use this time to knock some of those assignments out early (do them and save them in a folder on your desktop), this way by week 4 you are done and have a week to kick your feet up (before the next session starts). TAKE THE FAST TRACKS - however, keep in mind, they are NOT transferable and DO NOT go towards your GPA (in other words don't stress about getting an A, just pass the thing) - if you plan on staying then go for it (they save hella time).

Example: I have only been at the school since 2014 and will be done with my Masters in 2018 - but I also did a lot of overloading. If you are considering changing schools or just want to "try it out" - DO NOT take the fast tracks. They mean nothing to other schools. They need some upgrading (technology wise) but they are working on it. Every session they are adding something new. Another downfall is they only have one graduation per year which is ridiculous. They should have one in winter and one in summer. They do not have a large turnout for their graduations (in other words most people just graduate virtually) because if they have to wait for over a year to walk - it's pointless. Sorry that this is one long run on sentence, but I hope it is helpful for someone. They have a virtual library - yea just use Google.

Career services - meh (they are helpful with formatting resume's not much more). Alumni - not many perks, a small discount here and there but that's it. Reminders: Financial Aid SUCKS - manage your own funding (You would not give 50,000 dollars to a 5 years old and tell them not to mess up your money, would you? Same concept here). DO NOT spend your stipend (Side note: if you get anything larger than 1500 there is a problem). Do assignments early. Keep pushing - hang in there no matter where you go to school. If I think of anything else, I will write another post.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

CTU makes you beg for your refund. This time was the worst. I received my VA deposit on December 12 in my CTU account. Being a father of 4, I had depended on it for Christmas. When I called on the 23rd, they informed they had until the 26th to release it. They are holding it to make money, but my family needed it for Christmas! They still haven't released It! I went here because they claimed to be military friendly, work with people who work, and cared about their students. One professor failed me at the last minute because two assignments were late. I even emailed him prior about my grandmother passing and explained the situation. I failed, lower GPA and I am paying for the class Again! Another great example of caring for your students! They know they have you though because you can't transfer out or you'll lose credits! It's a racket!

Colorado Technical University response

Hi Christopher, we are sorry to hear that you have found your experience frustrating. We did speak with our financial aid team and understand that the issue regarding your stipend has been resolved. Please do let us know if there’s anything additional we can assist you with. We wish you the best with your future educational endeavors.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I am very concerned about all the negative comments that have appeared on this site. CTU needs to be investigated because of all the negative reviews. However, I have not found this to be the case. I am halfway through my DM - Technology Management. The courses are very well balanced, the instructors are fair. I have not had any financial aid trouble, although I have not had to withdraw from a course. The negative reviews sound frightening, and I am deeply concerned that when I graduate from this program I will be in debt for $30,000 and just hope that the degree from CTU has a positive effect on my income, or this whole thing will be in vain.

Colorado Technical University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Colorado Technical University is a career-oriented college that has been in operation since 1956. Colorado Technical University introduced its online school in 1995 to expand beyond its campus in Colorado Springs.

• Military support: Colorado Technical University is a strong supporter of students who are currently or were formerly members of the United States military. CTU has awarded over $4.5 million in scholarships for military members.

• CTU Fast Track: The CTU Fast Track program gives you a series of exams in a key course subject to give you college credit for what you already know. Passing a Fast Track exam earns credits that will help you graduate faster.

• Online and campus classes: CTU has both online and campus classes to give local students the opportunity to choose their learning environment.

• Online tuition and scholarship calculators: CTU provides online calculators that allow you to estimate your tuition costs and your financial aid. These services are useful if price is a key factor in choosing your school.

• Career-oriented curriculum: CTU is designed to help you train with industry-related classes. This curriculum makes CTU ideal for people looking for employment or promotion in a particular field.

• Best for: people seeking a job or promotion, military students and students who are currently employed.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs