3.72/5
Based on 75 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

coloradotech.edu

Colorado Technical University’s (CTU) mission is to provide industry-relevant higher education to a diverse student population through innovative technology and experienced faculty, enabling the pursuit of personal and professional goals. CTU offers you choices in the type of education you receive – and how, when and where you pursue your degree. We are dedicated to providing excellence, innovation and flexibility in education and lifelong learning options, from the Associate to the Doctoral level.

164 Colorado Technical University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

When I first started CTU, I was in love and I thoroughly enjoyed my classes and each teacher. That all changed upon graduation when I found out I owed over 3k. This has caused me to miss out on better paying jobs because I am unable to obtain an official transcript. A degree is supposed to open doors but a degree with CTU leaves those doors closed! I’m not sure how they expect to be paid if a person can’t get a better paying job. Thanks for a great experience that has led to nothing!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I recently graduated with a Bachelors in Project Management. I am giving a three-star review because I am really in the middle of the road with my experience. While I learned quite a bit from several of the classes, I almost felt like some of the instructors were at a lower educational level than the students. When I finally got to my core PM classes, the instructors dramatically improved and I felt like they were more interested in the students’ education. The whole discussion board setup has got to go, or at the very least, it needs to be completely revamped. My second-to-last class had a debate format set up for the discussion board, and that was the only time I enjoyed the DB during my degree program. It’s too repetitive and you’re forced to respond to other students’ postings and there is very little to be learned the way it is currently set up.

The Intellipath is okay, depending on the class, but I don’t understand how people can’t get an A on it every time. It’s set up so that you have all the answers right in front of you, yet people still complain about it being too difficult. The Individual Project format is good (my favorite of the three assignment deliverables), and I primarily liked it because it was all based on my own research, which made me learn more about each topic. Depending on the class, there can be quite a bit of writing each week, so each student should be prepared to set enough time aside to complete their work. Again, people still seem to complain about the workload, but I don’t understand why they can’t get it all done.

There seems to be a lot of complaining from students about not having the time to dedicate each week, but if I can work 40 hours a week and still deal with a wife and 4 kids and other life issues (I had surgery during one of my classes and still completed everything on time), then I don’t think there’s a reason that anyone can’t get their work done on time too. From my experience, the ones who complain and fall behind are the ones who aren’t dedicated enough to their success, but they’ll blame everything and everyone else but themselves. The student success coach system they have is a joke and I don’t even know why they have it in the first place. They are nonexistent and I never received a response from mine at all. I never had the need to use them, but I feel like they should at least be more “visible”.

I almost regret telling them I was former military, because I wasn’t using any military funds to pay for school, and yet they still had me working with the military financial aid section. They seemed to want to focus on my military background and I made it clear I didn’t want that, but they still persisted. They should try to listen more to student and what they are wanting instead of trying to tell the student what they think they want.

Graduating with a high GPA is not that hard here. The system is set up so that it’s easy to pass and get your degree. I took two classes at a time and I didn’t have any issues with timeliness or anything else. The school seems to take anyone who applies and that’s because they are a for-profit institute, but there needs to be more of a screening process of students because it is really hard being in a class and doing a (college level) discussion board assignment with people who can’t tell the difference between “then” and “than”, or “to” and “too”, or “lesson” and “lessen”.

I get that people will make mistakes. My posts weren’t always perfect, but there seems to be a lot of people in programs that they shouldn’t be in, yet the school just wants the money. I’m not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I would say about 25% of the people in each of my classes wouldn’t have passed the admissions process in another school. It's best not to focus on that aspect, though, and just focus on your own work. It can just be frustrating sometimes.

At the end of the day, it’s not necessarily about the school you go to, but what you learn while you’re there. I knew a lot about project management before starting my degree program, but I still learned a lot more as a result, and it made me better professionally. While there are a lot of things I would like to see changed at this school, my experience was made good by me and how I approached my learning. I feel that this is how everyone should approach this process and stop blaming the school for their failures. I was pretty vocal throughout my degree program about what I disliked, but overall, I can’t complain because I got a degree and I’m a better professional than I was when I started the program.

My advice… If you are thinking of attending CTU, be prepared for ups and downs with each class. The experience is what you make of it. You may feel like you’re smarter than some of your teachers (I know I did), but there’s no reason you can’t complete your degree unless you are your own obstacle… Just my thoughts.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have had a great time learning from my classmates, professors and mentors. I would not trade this experience for anything, and have used what I have learned with for the job that I currently have now. I look forward to applying for more jobs using the degree that I have to help mentor others in my civilian career field.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I really loved my time at CTU. The instructors were great! They were very understanding whenever life got in the way of class. I experience the death of my grandmother and the surgery of my daughter during my time while attending school. Both times, my instructors were understanding and help me to be able to complete my classes.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I loved CTU! The chance to finish school and have my prior experience be counted was phenomenal. The general population of campus was true adults and not kids out of high school. Another plus for me. Loved my choice of picking CTU.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colorado Technical University?

Original review: June 9, 2018

When I first came to CTU I was not sure if I was going to be able to attend this school. But after my success coach spent time with me answering my questions. I had a different feel about the school, and studies. At this point I will say that the teachers and staff all played a major role in helping me to stay focus and keep pushing forward to be successful and to have come this far. Thank You CTU & STAFF.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Very competent Staff from Professors to support staff. Flexible programs and great follow up. This makes you feel that you are not just a name but a person. I highly recommend CTU. Watch out I will be back. Great going.

Original review: June 8, 2018

This was my first time taking classes online, so I was a little nervous how things would go. The faculty was very supportive and the program curriculum was on point. I finished my degree in two years thanks to Fast Track!!! Great school and experience!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

I had some great teachers, classmates and student advisor. The CTU faculty were there to answer question, give advice and help me every step of the way. I will never forget my experience as I achieved a lifelong goal. Thank You!!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

My experience with CTU was amazing. It allowed me to go to school while being overseas and serving in the Navy. The material was very comprehensive and detailed. All the professors I had were helpful and understanding that I had been out of school for a while.

Original review: June 8, 2018

This was the best online program experience I have had. I completed my BSN online and the teachers were always available if you had questions and were very knowledgeable. I have recommended this school to 6 of my friends, one is graduating with me and the others will be graduating next year. I am grateful that there are programs like this, that allow you to work and get a great education.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The entire staff at CTU is very supportive. The professors are amazing and truly care about your future. Everyone at CTU is there for you every step of the way. Would recommend to anyone especially those adult learners that need the support, the flexibility, and the encouragement. Thank you CTU!!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

For one to have the Victory, one must first one's self in motion. To be a winner you must participate, with having C.T.U. on my side I have put the wheels of success into motion. My journey is in motion, if you have vision and a dream put it into motion. Winners always enjoy the victory, so for you to enjoy the winner's reward get it into motion.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Throughout the process, and the journey, CTU was there to offer tech support, library services, admission help and workload assistance. Even when times got difficult, there was always someone there to listen and offer aid. Thank you CTU for fulfilling one of my life goals. With your help I am now a Dr of Computer Science!!!

Original review: June 8, 2018

CTU has been a great experience for the last 3 years, and I look forward to the next year in my master's program. CTU is family for life. If you don't know what excellence looks likes, go to CTU and you will.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have been blessed to encounter numerous people through my journey. Some of the people who were pivotal to my success were Dr. Kennedy **, Dr. Rea Denise **. Dr. ** was also a constant encouragement through Quant and at every symposium I had the pleasure of meeting him at. The one thing this school has for the most part are OUTSTANDING instructors and support staff. Also, thanks to CTU and the symposiums I have been able to network and create relationships that will hopefully last a lifetime.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I love CTU! I have been going to this school for quite some time and enjoy it! I love the structured schedule and the flexibility I have with watching archived chats and homework that is planned out in advance! I definitely recommend this to all of my friends that are looking to advance their educational and career goals!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I enrolled as an online student in January 2017 and didn't feel like I was getting the most out of the experience so I enrolled at the Colorado Springs campus. I figured I would be able to maximize my GI Bill benefits by doing so. At first things were great but I have had trouble getting disbursements in a timely manner. I left work to attend classes in person and my family and I depend on those disbursements to cover living expenses. I have had to call and change payment dates for bills and make payment arrangements with utility company and landlords because I don't know when or if my disbursements will be in my checking account. The inconsistency in the billing department is ridiculous. Sometimes I get a disbursement in 3 days, sometimes I get it in 6 days, sometimes I get it in 20 days. I'm shocked that this is allowed to happen.

I have to check my student email every day hoping that they will get it together and have my disbursement ready for me to use. I've called the VA to see why the payments are coming to the school on time and their response was that the school, CTU, is not billing them on a scheduled basis. How and why not? You have until the 2nd week of the course to drop it or pay the full tuition price. Why isn't the school billing the VA on that schedule? I've had a $40.87 credit since 4/11/18 and as of today 5/22/18 have not seen any attempt to give that disbursement to me. The amount is insignificant but the processing period is not. Financial Aid advisers tell you they have 14 days to process your disbursement but I've never gotten clarification if it is 14 days total or if it is 14 business days.

I am seriously considering withdrawing from this school for creating this financial hardship. Reading all of these reviews has lead me to believe that no one is being held accountable for this. I also read that there is a class action lawsuit against CTU and I am very interested in finding out more. Good luck financially to all those who enroll in the future. Professors are great but the billing department needs a major overhaul.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I began this program in August of 2016 earning all credits attempted to this date. CTU was not my first choice, but after much research, I found that it was the best choice for my studies of Cyber Security. The Instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful with the assignments combined with the assets of the Library and Learning/Reading Materials provided for the sessions. As of this date, my current session is CS215 Intermediate C++ with Dr. ** and he is exceptional! The details of each assignment are communicated clear and concise with real-time response to any issue involving the session.

The Live Chats are fun and creatively filled with study methods to help students prepare for the week ahead to help in the completion of any task assigned. The IntelliPath environment is great for study guides and methods for completing nodes, but the Discussion Boards are my favorite. The DB's allow for student and Instructor interactions that can rival Brick and Mortar classes. I can't elaborate on other institutions teaching methods, but I don't think any can come close to CTU in professionalism and the vast amount of resources available to assist in excelling in each session.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Regina was my admission advisor. Without her assistance and "checking -in to make sure you are breathing" help, I don't know that I would be in my doctoral program. She "held my hand" and walked me through the process and I feel honored to be a student at CTU.

Original review: April 13, 2018

The Doctoral Symposium is such an excellent opportunity that every Doctoral student needs to attend because of the guidelines from the CTU faculty, the networking event between other Doctoral students who are walking the same journey as yourselves. Great time.

Original review: April 13, 2018

When I applied online and I received an email and phone call from Admissions Advisor. He explained the whole admission process. He made sure that I will apply to CTU. He helped with the paperwork and after 14 days I was admitted to my doctoral porgram at CTU. Thanks Chris ** for the awesome Admission Advisor.

Original review: April 13, 2018

This symposium is great not just for networking with faculty and doctoral classmates but invaluable to completing the doctoral journey. This where one learns about all and everything one needs to succeed and earn a Doctoral Degree. See you guys in October 2018.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Very informative, enjoyed the camaraderie and support from the faculty and Administrative team. Very impressive Foundations of Dissertation, Library Resources and Alumni workshop. Thank you CTU for making feel encouraged and inspired to complete the journey.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Each session had important takeaways which will contribute toward successfully completing my doctoral journey; however, as a new student attending my first symposium, I must say the Creating the Foundations of Your Dissertation was the most valuable session I have attended so far. The early morning optional sessions which build upon what you learn in this session would be more valuable if the Creating Foundations session was a required session available to first-time students on the first day.

Original review: April 13, 2018

First Symposium - This is an excellent experience for students who are starting their doctoral program. You get a lot of information about the dissertation process and you are able to connect with people who are studying the same topics as you. Those people will be a great resource throughout the doctoral journey.

Original review: April 12, 2018

The doctoral journey has been one of the most humbling and rewarding personal experiences of my life. The quality of leadership and expertise in the process of the dissertation journey and in building students into research experts is outstanding.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I was so excited to start my program and after 3 years so excited to complete this accomplishment. I have enjoyed every step and the experience has changed my life! So many opportunities are open and the future is bright.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I came to CTU to finish my Doctorate in Computer Science with Cyber Security and Information Assurance (DCS-CSIA). This university has a very novel approach of encouragement support to help each student reach and exceed their goals. I will always highly recommend this experience to others. If you want to finish what you start and succeed at each step then this is the place.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I started CTU in 2015, and since that time I have worked very diligently to graduate on time. My colleagues have started their programs in a brick and mortar university, yet I'm graduating in June 2018. I thank this program for providing structure as well as educating me for these three years.

Colorado Technical University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Colorado Technical University is a career-oriented college that has been in operation since 1956. Colorado Technical University introduced its online school in 1995 to expand beyond its campus in Colorado Springs.

• Military support: Colorado Technical University is a strong supporter of students who are currently or were formerly members of the United States military. CTU has awarded over $4.5 million in scholarships for military members.

• CTU Fast Track: The CTU Fast Track program gives you a series of exams in a key course subject to give you college credit for what you already know. Passing a Fast Track exam earns credits that will help you graduate faster.

• Online and campus classes: CTU has both online and campus classes to give local students the opportunity to choose their learning environment.

• Online tuition and scholarship calculators: CTU provides online calculators that allow you to estimate your tuition costs and your financial aid. These services are useful if price is a key factor in choosing your school.

• Career-oriented curriculum: CTU is designed to help you train with industry-related classes. This curriculum makes CTU ideal for people looking for employment or promotion in a particular field.

• Best for: people seeking a job or promotion, military students and students who are currently employed.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs