4.22/5

23 CampusBooks Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 6, 2017

CampusBooks is a convenient way to order a book online. They have quick delivery of what you need and a pretty large selection. This was a lot easier than going to the store or spending all day on websites that could send you the wrong version. It's the recommended way to go when you have school to think about. However, the website seems a little chaotic because it picks up your classes and it gave me several choices I did not need. I wish it narrowed down the search a little more. Also, the book I needed was available in CD form and not hardback. It was confusing to know that's what it was saying. But overall the website is great and I appreciate the convenience of it.

Original review: June 5, 2017

CampusBooks offer a large selection of textbooks for almost every type of class or category. However, they could use a little bit faster search and would be a lot easier if you could search by author in case of several books having the same name but different authors. It was a little hard to search for the book I needed but once found was a quick and easy check out process and returning was real simple to mail the book back. Also, they accept multiple payment options.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I was worried about buying my books. But a friend if mine told me about CampusBooks. I gave them my information and told them what courses I would be taking. They told me about the rental agreement, which was significantly cheaper than buying a book. The quality is great and the customer service is exceptional. I had a question about a book I had rented, and it was a wonderful experience speaking to knowledgeable staff. They were friendly, helpful and didn't treat me as if my question was stupid. The book was in good condition and I used them the entire time I was taking classes. I paid my rental fees, and when my course ended, I returned the book.

The only thing that I dislike about renting books is you have to be very careful with the book. Because, after all, it is not your book to keep. You can opt to buy the book. If there is more wear on the books than they believe should be there, if you tear the pages, or write in them, then they will charge you. They go through each book rented with a fine toothed comb. They don't expect it to come back to them in perfect condition. But they do expect you to treat it with care.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I like CampusBooks because they have all the college class text books that I could possibly ever need all in one place. It is easy to navigate and find what I need and more for my new classes. Just go to the CampusBooks website and browse. Search in the rent section for all of your college class textbooks. Find the book you want and browse the available retailers. Pick one you find acceptable and order from the retailer. They pay for shipping to you and the return shipping. Also, I always get the help I need and even help I never knew I needed. But sometimes, they don't always have the greatest quality books. Sometimes you could get one that is dirty and worn out. Most of the time because it is one of the only ones left.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I like that you can set your own return date and that they give you a grace period of about 15 days. It's very convenient for a student that's already swamped. Search for the book(s) you need then select how long you want to keep them (the best part hands down!) and then you add them to your cart. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. However, limited shipping options are one of my biggest problems with it. Sometimes I need books ASAP. But as long as you find what's needed ahead of time then it's great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CampusBooks?

Original review: May 26, 2017

My experience has always been pleasant. It always has what I need. I never have any problems finding the books that I need. The website is very easy to navigate and understand. I do like the fact that there are tutors available as well and they are very helpful. They help me when I have question about an assignment. I wish that the time was longer as in terms of renting the books. In other words, more time for my money. Also, I would love to see the price of membership go down or have an option to pay for only the time that I need. That will be very helpful.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I felt that CampusBooks had an adequate user interface and the purchase and return of books was fairly simple. Generally speaking, it is easy to tell which book you need to buy because the information is clearly listed. Sometimes it's very difficult to tell exactly what is included in a book purchase or rental. This is especially true for texts that are both ebooks and physical books with an online component. It would be helpful to know exactly what changed between editions so I can make a more informed decision about rentals. But I feel that the actual purchase and return of the book were as simple as possible. I will order again.

Original review: May 24, 2017

This company is convenient, organized and very reliable and has very competitive prices. The process to rent and return books is always fast and simple. I can always find the books and textbooks I need for any of my college classes. And I always receive my books on time and never have had any book coming late. It always ships quickly and if for any reason I don't need that book because it's the wrong one or just not needed for the course then I could return it hassle-free. Also, it helps me by using my financial aid and any school grants I have to purchase the supplies I need. The company always refund when needed and the staff is friendly. Just an overall great business and very helpful to students everywhere. I would recommend this company to anyone and everyone I know and I have in the past.

Original review: May 20, 2017

CampusBooks was pretty good. It was clear and understanding. The services was professional. If you have any problems they are there to help you. They offer great deals sometimes. It didn't take very long for returns the book you were looking to return, had a very clear process to what you were doing and I found it to be very easy. But I dislike the price. I know books aren't cheap but sometimes prices were very expensive. I feel they should understand that we go out our way to shop books so they should lower prices a bit.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I needed to acquire a student ID first. Then I had to go to campus bookstore to get registered for textbook rentals. At that point, I had to continually follow up to confirm if the needed material was available. CampusBooks was able to give me several pay options and, in general, several options for reference material and books. I had some options to order material not in stock as well. But CampusBooks was way overpriced. I understand that certain cost is escalated due to lost material, but publishing companies have a way of taking advantage of students financially. I was able to find much of the required material through other resources.

CampusBooks expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1998, CampusBooks is an online textbook comparison website based in San Diego, California. It helps customers find textbooks to rent or buy at the lowest prices from available sellers.

• Price comparison tool: Campus Books offers a helpful comparison tool to allow customers to visualize their savings. It compares its current prices to those at nearly all other major textbook rental companies, including Amazon.com, CampusBook Rentals, Barnes & Noble marketplace, Chegg and more.

• Buy vs. Rent tool: CampusBooks takes the guesswork out of the pros and cons of buying versus renting. Its patent-pending Buy vs. Rent tool compares the total cost of ownership of each book in your order to help you determine what makes the most sense for you.

• Library search feature: There’s no need to buy or rent a textbook if it is available free at your local library. CampusBooks automatically searches local libraries’ inventories so you can save even more money if a book is available near you.

• Price transparency: CampusBooks promises there are no hidden fees or surprises at checkout. You can see the real total price in your shopping cart at any time, including coupons and discounts, shipping and taxes.

• Selling tools: If you have textbooks you’d like to sell, CampusBooks helps you find comparison buyback prices from major textbook resellers. You can get paid fast through cash, check, Paypal or store credit.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs