4.22/5
  • 1 star
Based on 23 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: June 6, 2017

23 CampusBooks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: June 6, 2017

CampusBooks is a convenient way to order a book online. They have quick delivery of what you need and a pretty large selection. This was a lot easier than going to the store or spending all day on websites that could send you the wrong version. It's the recommended way to go when you have school to think about. However, the website seems a little chaotic because it picks up your classes and it gave me several choices I did not need. I wish it narrowed down the search a little more. Also, the book I needed was available in CD form and not hardback. It was confusing to know that's what it was saying. But overall the website is great and I appreciate the convenience of it.

Original review: June 5, 2017

CampusBooks offer a large selection of textbooks for almost every type of class or category. However, they could use a little bit faster search and would be a lot easier if you could search by author in case of several books having the same name but different authors. It was a little hard to search for the book I needed but once found was a quick and easy check out process and returning was real simple to mail the book back. Also, they accept multiple payment options.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 3, 2017

I was worried about buying my books. But a friend if mine told me about CampusBooks. I gave them my information and told them what courses I would be taking. They told me about the rental agreement, which was significantly cheaper than buying a book. The quality is great and the customer service is exceptional. I had a question about a book I had rented, and it was a wonderful experience speaking to knowledgeable staff. They were friendly, helpful and didn't treat me as if my question was stupid. The book was in good condition and I used them the entire time I was taking classes. I paid my rental fees, and when my course ended, I returned the book.

The only thing that I dislike about renting books is you have to be very careful with the book. Because, after all, it is not your book to keep. You can opt to buy the book. If there is more wear on the books than they believe should be there, if you tear the pages, or write in them, then they will charge you. They go through each book rented with a fine toothed comb. They don't expect it to come back to them in perfect condition. But they do expect you to treat it with care.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I like CampusBooks because they have all the college class text books that I could possibly ever need all in one place. It is easy to navigate and find what I need and more for my new classes. Just go to the CampusBooks website and browse. Search in the rent section for all of your college class textbooks. Find the book you want and browse the available retailers. Pick one you find acceptable and order from the retailer. They pay for shipping to you and the return shipping. Also, I always get the help I need and even help I never knew I needed. But sometimes, they don't always have the greatest quality books. Sometimes you could get one that is dirty and worn out. Most of the time because it is one of the only ones left.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I like that you can set your own return date and that they give you a grace period of about 15 days. It's very convenient for a student that's already swamped. Search for the book(s) you need then select how long you want to keep them (the best part hands down!) and then you add them to your cart. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. However, limited shipping options are one of my biggest problems with it. Sometimes I need books ASAP. But as long as you find what's needed ahead of time then it's great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CampusBooks?

Original review: May 26, 2017

My experience has always been pleasant. It always has what I need. I never have any problems finding the books that I need. The website is very easy to navigate and understand. I do like the fact that there are tutors available as well and they are very helpful. They help me when I have question about an assignment. I wish that the time was longer as in terms of renting the books. In other words, more time for my money. Also, I would love to see the price of membership go down or have an option to pay for only the time that I need. That will be very helpful.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I felt that CampusBooks had an adequate user interface and the purchase and return of books was fairly simple. Generally speaking, it is easy to tell which book you need to buy because the information is clearly listed. Sometimes it's very difficult to tell exactly what is included in a book purchase or rental. This is especially true for texts that are both ebooks and physical books with an online component. It would be helpful to know exactly what changed between editions so I can make a more informed decision about rentals. But I feel that the actual purchase and return of the book were as simple as possible. I will order again.

Original review: May 24, 2017

This company is convenient, organized and very reliable and has very competitive prices. The process to rent and return books is always fast and simple. I can always find the books and textbooks I need for any of my college classes. And I always receive my books on time and never have had any book coming late. It always ships quickly and if for any reason I don't need that book because it's the wrong one or just not needed for the course then I could return it hassle-free. Also, it helps me by using my financial aid and any school grants I have to purchase the supplies I need. The company always refund when needed and the staff is friendly. Just an overall great business and very helpful to students everywhere. I would recommend this company to anyone and everyone I know and I have in the past.

Original review: May 20, 2017

CampusBooks was pretty good. It was clear and understanding. The services was professional. If you have any problems they are there to help you. They offer great deals sometimes. It didn't take very long for returns the book you were looking to return, had a very clear process to what you were doing and I found it to be very easy. But I dislike the price. I know books aren't cheap but sometimes prices were very expensive. I feel they should understand that we go out our way to shop books so they should lower prices a bit.

Original review: May 19, 2017

I needed to acquire a student ID first. Then I had to go to campus bookstore to get registered for textbook rentals. At that point, I had to continually follow up to confirm if the needed material was available. CampusBooks was able to give me several pay options and, in general, several options for reference material and books. I had some options to order material not in stock as well. But CampusBooks was way overpriced. I understand that certain cost is escalated due to lost material, but publishing companies have a way of taking advantage of students financially. I was able to find much of the required material through other resources.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Renting at CampusBooks was an easy process done through the bookstore. They offered the textbooks I need and suggested I rent them. I filled out a form and got the books same day. Returning them was just as easy. Renting helped save a lot of money for college students. When we have so many textbooks that we need to buy, this can make a big difference. I wish I could have rented more books. Also, highlighting texts was always helpful in my studying but we could not do this in books we later returned.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I like that I could ship the books back to the company without having to go to a FedEx store. I also liked that the books arrived to my house address and not forced to pick them up from my university bookstore. I did not like when the condition of the book when it arrived to me did not match the condition I specifically selected to receive, when ordering online. I also did not appreciate having to pay the hefty shipping fee to return my book back to the rental company. Another feature I did not appreciate occurred when I sent the book back on the same day my "rental period" ended as instructed, but would then have to call customer service to void a fee for "extending my rental period" by a whole month when I didn't even have the book in my possession!

Original review: May 16, 2017

The process of renting the book was fairly easy to do so. The availability of the text was made available and I could turn in the textbook for a small refund as well. I liked that I could rent the textbook without purchasing it because it cost less than purchasing the book I would soon no longer need and could trade it back in. But I did not like the cost so much of the rental fee of the book. It was very expensive for a textbook that I would not own.

Original review: May 15, 2017

It was really easy. I like that you can not only compare prices of other places, but you can also rent, buy, or sell your books right through the site. You don't buy directly from the site though; they connect you with whoever is selling the books you want, at the best rates. When you search for a book, they give you different options of places to buy from, rent from, or sell to. Once you find the price that suits you, you then wind up dealing with that particular seller/buyer directly.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I have only had pleasant experiences with CampusBooks. I have found every book I needed in the past, for every course. Searching for the items is easy, registering on the website is quick and returning process is uncomplicated. As long as the student has a syllabus in front of him/her, there will not be any problems. I am also sure that more books are added on every syllabus, which will only make the whole experience better.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Process of renting can be a little frustration in the beginning. The whole process once the format was learned was easy and went without a glitch. Perhaps more time should have been taken on my part from the start. But the textbooks are easy to rent and able to save a large amount of money over purchasing a textbook for only one course. The prices are also acceptable given the high cost of purchasing a new textbook and the condition, although used, are in surprisingly good shape. I have never had a bad experience. I would highly recommend the rental program to save money.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Variety of textbooks and flexibility of rentals of books are always great. Process was also quick and easy. Log into your account and browse through a lot of books and add them to a cart. There are no limits to how many rentals. Check out and return policy was easy, accepts major credit cards or debit cards and guarantee in stock of books, too. I can also keep book for as long as I need. However, I would like to be able to read the books online if I choose to and they can also offer free shipping after a certain amount of rental and maybe a discount or incentive for loyal customers.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I like the reasonable rental rates and it is so much more cost effective to rent textbooks rather than buy them. I like the search and comparison tool on their website. It is intuitive and provides me with a lot of valuable information. Also, I rented a few textbooks for the semester and shipping was quick and easy. Then it was free for me to ship the books back when I returned them. However, I sold some of my old textbooks to this service and I felt like I did not get a fair price for them. I also didn't like that not all of my required textbooks were available through this service.

Original review: May 9, 2017

It’s way easier to rent than purchase. If I had to buy all of my books, it costs a small fortune. This way I save money especially on books I won't need later. Also it makes life easier without having to worry about how much tuition is plus the cost of all your books at once, which is insane. This will probably give more people a chance at college if things like this were to happen. Sometimes people write in them which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the last student who used that book. Having someone else's notes can be really distracting, especially when they're wrong. Some books I'd want to give back which is nice because then I'm not wasting money. Other books however, some people might want to keep for the rest of their schooling as references and a rent to own depending on courses would be so much cheaper than buying outright.

Original review: May 7, 2017

It was easy to find CampusBooks website. Once I found the website it was very user friendly. They laid out the rental steps and agreements very clearly. It was easy to search for the book I needed and they actually had it to rent. Once you find the book they ship it to you free of charge. You have the option of buying the book once your rental agreement is over and the return shipment is already paid if you choose to return it. However, it took fourteen days for them to ship my book. This seems to be the norm for their shipping so I get the idea that they do not have a warehouse but are a third party provider. Nothing takes that long to ship. I can't imagine needing the book for a test or a class in the next few days. You could not use this service if that were the circumstances.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Good experience. Cheap affordable books but make sure you order way ahead of time. Try to order before schools start because usually it will be out of stock when everyone is trying to order the same book. If you have more than 1 book to get then you can use the discount they offer. The process of renting and returning is easy. It’s just a slow long shipping process so if you do need the book right away I suggest you go to the school library instead. You might not receive the book on time. It can take more than 3 weeks before it is shipped out. Sometimes the web is also not updated to show item is in back order and then you order the book without knowing it until you call customer service to check your order. Make sure you also check your account. They accidentally charge me an extension even though I returned the books two weeks in advance.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I had a pleasant experience with CampusBooks overall. I enjoyed being able to have my books without having to pay full price for them. Ordering and returning the books was simple. I went to the website, signed up, searched the ISBN and ordered my books. They shipped fairly quickly as well. The books were in great condition and I appreciate that they have been well taken care of. At the end of the semester I sent them back with no hassles from the rental company. I would rent from them again.

Original review: May 4, 2017

It was a very easy and sufficient way to rent. You get the book you want or ask upfront what book you want, and register your info for them to record. They scan the book and you take it home. It was also very quick and could have delivered right to your door which is a very convenient way of renting.

CampusBooks expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1998, CampusBooks is an online textbook comparison website based in San Diego, California. It helps customers find textbooks to rent or buy at the lowest prices from available sellers.

• Price comparison tool: Campus Books offers a helpful comparison tool to allow customers to visualize their savings. It compares its current prices to those at nearly all other major textbook rental companies, including Amazon.com, CampusBook Rentals, Barnes & Noble marketplace, Chegg and more.

• Buy vs. Rent tool: CampusBooks takes the guesswork out of the pros and cons of buying versus renting. Its patent-pending Buy vs. Rent tool compares the total cost of ownership of each book in your order to help you determine what makes the most sense for you.

• Library search feature: There’s no need to buy or rent a textbook if it is available free at your local library. CampusBooks automatically searches local libraries’ inventories so you can save even more money if a book is available near you.

• Price transparency: CampusBooks promises there are no hidden fees or surprises at checkout. You can see the real total price in your shopping cart at any time, including coupons and discounts, shipping and taxes.

• Selling tools: If you have textbooks you’d like to sell, CampusBooks helps you find comparison buyback prices from major textbook resellers. You can get paid fast through cash, check, Paypal or store credit.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs