3.36/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Aveda Institute

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

14 Aveda Institute Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 25, 2019

First off I understand that drama is a part of every beauty school experience at some point so I will avoid elaborating on any of those situational details and focus primarily on management, and those hired to uphold the Aveda name and reinforce the company culture that is perceived by the public eye. I completed the esthetician program in early March, and Aveda is responsible for assisting with scheduling our state board exams, and ensuring that all students' hours, personal information, and program information are accurate on SHEARS, TDLR's system for tracking license/permits and hours for all cosmetology and barbering programs. However it has been over a month since completing the program, I have made tireless attempts to contact the the assistant director, Bianca **, and have included other administrators, but continue to receive silence.

When the school first issued my student permit I notified 2 individuals that my DOB was incorrect and was told by both that this would be resolved, however when I check the state website, clearly the error remains. While I am happy to apply for licensing and get all of this straightened out on my own, the administrators at Aveda register us aestheticians through SHEARS incorrectly as cosmetology students, so that we are not empowered to set up our own test dates without their help.

Nobody at Aveda (AI South) seems to care about the students (especially noncosmetology). I can honestly say that trying to get a response from the school administrators has been the MOST DIFFICULT part of my entire attempt to become an esthetician. I strongly suggest that if you are looking for a school that you find one that is fair and ethical at an administrative level as that's where the culture transcends from.... Aveda Institute in Austin, TX is unorganized, unprofessional, and hired employees play favorites with the students and anyone who does not fit their liking gets treated unfairly.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I went to the East Lansing location. For charging as much as they do, the quality of the education is very subpar, and it has nothing to do with the instructors. The problem is that as an Aveda school, everything is taught within the Aveda framework. Anything Aveda doesn't "believe in", you won't be taught. This includes some fundamentals. For example, I took the Esthiology course. Aveda doesn't believe in nearly anything mechanical, microdermabrasion, or chemical peels. You will taught their watered down, Aveda product-based "alternatives". You will spend one day in class learning and using things like microcurrent, etc.

This is clearly done to essentially trap you within the Aveda network after graduating, as you will leave very poorly prepared for work in any other setting. You will, however, learn a whole lot of useless information about chakras, and if your location is like mine, start everyday in a dark classroom, inhaling essential oils and meditating to sitar music.

Get expert buying tips about Cosmetology Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

The school was great and everything went well here. I enjoyed everything about it. Also, the school was very clean and made licensing easier. The classes were easy to enroll in and I learned a lot. They have very knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I enjoyed my classes at Aveda. The school was great and the teachers were pretty cool. I really enjoyed my teachers and my classmates. Also, the prices were great and I feel like I learned so much in the short time it took to graduate. It was a great time and I'm happy I enrolled when I did. I love my new career field and I am so thankful for the Aveda staff. However, I did not much care for the financial aid offerings. It was difficult for me to pay out of pocket and I should be considered low income. I have a family of 6 and live on one income at the time.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Aveda Institute was an amazing, interesting and unique school with great beauty teachers who taught me a lot. The setup is amazing. It's just like working in your own salon. I loved how hands on it was and how much information the teachers put into each and every class you went to. I love how structured it was and how every day it was something new and surprising to learn. This school teaches you how to do hair and thing and put your own special twist on everything. I was very surprised to go to a school that gave me so many learning advantages about beauty and gave me better understanding of what I was doing. I became even more knowledgeable about this field of work. I took everything I learned in class, put it all into my career, and got a big head start. My skills are superb.

I was so excited, inspired by and grateful for this school and so proud that I could attend it and work with all the amazing teachers and classmates. I loved all my classmates and they were all a part of the learning process and I also learned a lot of new and unique things from them. I love that and how we were all part of a team. It felt like one big happy family. It was a one of a kind experience that I wouldn't have given up in a million years. I love this school with all my heart and would recommend it to everyone. I know most people have never even thought of going to this school but let me be the one to tell you that you do not know what you are missing out on.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aveda Institute?

Original review: July 31, 2017

Aveda Institute was a great school and more people should go to the school. I had fun, I learned how to apply myself and I became a more successful and affluent person, as well as a more educated individual. I loved that the teachers were great at what they did and were very happy anytime I had questions. They helped me with anything I needed, and helped me graduate and become the best that I could be. It would have been amazing if they made the classes shorter, since the school had very long hours and the bigger the campus, the better people feel.

Original review: July 28, 2017

My overall experience at Aveda Institute was horrible. The staff was rude, everything was unorganized and I feel like I didn't get my money's worth. My class didn't get their kit until the end of the school year and they lied about products we were supposed to get. There is also a 1-minute late rule. I had a tire blow out right before school and I made it 2-3 minutes late and they wouldn't allow me to stay. But I like the look of the school and they book your appointments for you. The smell of the school was nice also. You could create your own perfume which was nice.

Original review: July 22, 2017

The Aveda Institute was well conceived and clearly made for teaching someone to learn the ins and outs for working in the salon and using their products and techniques to become a beauty professional. I loved it. They taught very good technique especially relating to the usage of their color system. With color theory and the level system for hair color, since the bases with all neutral, with the addition of pigments to suit the outcome, it made complete and easy sense. Everything was taught. My experience with Aveda was to prepare myself to successfully pass the state board examination to get my cosmetology license as well as fulfill the required schooling hours needed to even qualify for state licensure.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I had an enjoyable experience in beauty school. I learned a lot about hair, nails, makeup and skin care in Aveda Institute. I enjoyed the hands-on experience and I was able to spend a lot of one-on-one time with my instructors. It was fun and exciting to literally learn on the job and work with real clients in a salon setting. I am so excited to start my career as a professional hair stylist. My experience was overall positive although I had issues with a few of my instructors. I wish though that some of the profits from the services I performed in school contributed to my tuition somehow, especially as a student, I had to cut my hours at work and wasn't able to save money while I was in school and I am now several thousand dollars in debt.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I was hoping to broaden my horizons and see if this was something that I wanted to do in the future. Aveda was extremely accommodating and gave me the chance to study around my work schedule. I was able to deal with a single advisor who helped me and gave me many opportunities to intern outside of the official school schedule which was nice. But sometimes it could be intimidating with people who seemed like they were ahead of you and classes could move somewhat quickly if you weren't totally invested in the process.

Aveda Institute expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1978, Aveda has become a household name, and they continue their excellence in the educational field, graduating more than 7,000 students each year.

• Solid reputation: The Aveda name is well known for its focus on natural beauty care, and graduates of this school become a part of the overall Aveda brand.

• Real world teaching methods: In the Aveda Institute, students get to walk in the shoes of every role in a salon or spa. They complete activities that give them the practical knowledge they need to be successful in a beauty career.

• Multiple locations: With 59 institutes worldwide, students can arrange to complete their beauty school education in any one of these areas.

• Financial aid: Not only is financial aid available, each institute has its own Financial Aid Department on site to help.

• Quick form for information: By filling out a short form, you can get all the information you need to decide on whether Aveda Institute is for you.

• Best for: High school grads, hobbyists and job seekers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs