3.54/5
Based on 13 reviews that contain star ratings

13 Aveda Institute Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I went to the East Lansing location. For charging as much as they do, the quality of the education is very subpar, and it has nothing to do with the instructors. The problem is that as an Aveda school, everything is taught within the Aveda framework. Anything Aveda doesn't "believe in", you won't be taught. This includes some fundamentals. For example, I took the Esthiology course. Aveda doesn't believe in nearly anything mechanical, microdermabrasion, or chemical peels. You will taught their watered down, Aveda product-based "alternatives". You will spend one day in class learning and using things like microcurrent, etc.

This is clearly done to essentially trap you within the Aveda network after graduating, as you will leave very poorly prepared for work in any other setting. You will, however, learn a whole lot of useless information about chakras, and if your location is like mine, start everyday in a dark classroom, inhaling essential oils and meditating to sitar music.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

The school was great and everything went well here. I enjoyed everything about it. Also, the school was very clean and made licensing easier. The classes were easy to enroll in and I learned a lot. They have very knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Get expert buying tips about Cosmetology Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I enjoyed my classes at Aveda. The school was great and the teachers were pretty cool. I really enjoyed my teachers and my classmates. Also, the prices were great and I feel like I learned so much in the short time it took to graduate. It was a great time and I'm happy I enrolled when I did. I love my new career field and I am so thankful for the Aveda staff. However, I did not much care for the financial aid offerings. It was difficult for me to pay out of pocket and I should be considered low income. I have a family of 6 and live on one income at the time.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Aveda Institute was a great school and more people should go to the school. I had fun, I learned how to apply myself and I became a more successful and affluent person, as well as a more educated individual. I loved that the teachers were great at what they did and were very happy anytime I had questions. They helped me with anything I needed, and helped me graduate and become the best that I could be. It would have been amazing if they made the classes shorter, since the school had very long hours and the bigger the campus, the better people feel.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I had an enjoyable experience in beauty school. I learned a lot about hair, nails, makeup and skin care in Aveda Institute. I enjoyed the hands-on experience and I was able to spend a lot of one-on-one time with my instructors. It was fun and exciting to literally learn on the job and work with real clients in a salon setting. I am so excited to start my career as a professional hair stylist. My experience was overall positive although I had issues with a few of my instructors. I wish though that some of the profits from the services I performed in school contributed to my tuition somehow, especially as a student, I had to cut my hours at work and wasn't able to save money while I was in school and I am now several thousand dollars in debt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aveda Institute?

Original review: July 28, 2017

My overall experience at Aveda Institute was horrible. The staff was rude, everything was unorganized and I feel like I didn't get my money's worth. My class didn't get their kit until the end of the school year and they lied about products we were supposed to get. There is also a 1-minute late rule. I had a tire blow out right before school and I made it 2-3 minutes late and they wouldn't allow me to stay. But I like the look of the school and they book your appointments for you. The smell of the school was nice also. You could create your own perfume which was nice.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Aveda Institute was an amazing, interesting and unique school with great beauty teachers who taught me a lot. The setup is amazing. It's just like working in your own salon. I loved how hands on it was and how much information the teachers put into each and every class you went to. I love how structured it was and how every day it was something new and surprising to learn. This school teaches you how to do hair and thing and put your own special twist on everything. I was very surprised to go to a school that gave me so many learning advantages about beauty and gave me better understanding of what I was doing. I became even more knowledgeable about this field of work. I took everything I learned in class, put it all into my career, and got a big head start. My skills are superb.

I was so excited, inspired by and grateful for this school and so proud that I could attend it and work with all the amazing teachers and classmates. I loved all my classmates and they were all a part of the learning process and I also learned a lot of new and unique things from them. I love that and how we were all part of a team. It felt like one big happy family. It was a one of a kind experience that I wouldn't have given up in a million years. I love this school with all my heart and would recommend it to everyone. I know most people have never even thought of going to this school but let me be the one to tell you that you do not know what you are missing out on.

Original review: July 23, 2017

I was hoping to broaden my horizons and see if this was something that I wanted to do in the future. Aveda was extremely accommodating and gave me the chance to study around my work schedule. I was able to deal with a single advisor who helped me and gave me many opportunities to intern outside of the official school schedule which was nice. But sometimes it could be intimidating with people who seemed like they were ahead of you and classes could move somewhat quickly if you weren't totally invested in the process.

Original review: July 22, 2017

The Aveda Institute was well conceived and clearly made for teaching someone to learn the ins and outs for working in the salon and using their products and techniques to become a beauty professional. I loved it. They taught very good technique especially relating to the usage of their color system. With color theory and the level system for hair color, since the bases with all neutral, with the addition of pigments to suit the outcome, it made complete and easy sense. Everything was taught. My experience with Aveda was to prepare myself to successfully pass the state board examination to get my cosmetology license as well as fulfill the required schooling hours needed to even qualify for state licensure.

Original review: July 21, 2017

At this beauty school, I aspired to be an aesthetician and this school helped me to accomplish that. I really liked how supportive the teachers were. They saw you as a complete person, not just a student. And they were very patient in teaching the materials. But I wish that there was a location closer to my home. I would hit a lot of traffic commuting there.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I like the location which was not too far from where I lived and I love how the teachers are understanding and care about you in a way that they make sure you understand and are always open for questions. Also I love that you're able to do real peoples' hair and not just mannequins which gives you real life experience. I learned a whole lot and even developed personal relationships with some of the staff as well as some of fellow classmates. It was a worthwhile time. Overall, the instructors are well-versed in modern techniques and classic styles, and the hands-on experience you get as a student at Aveda Institute Atlanta will prepare you for a great job as a hair stylist. The schedules are very flexible and the classroom experience was very friendly, very open and very relaxing. They have very affordable tuition.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I was told in an email that my account has been suspended because someone was going around to various locations and trying to return product saying that they are me and using my account. I contacted them back and said that I didn't go to various locations returning product, and that someone is impersonating me and to contact me immediately. After several phone calls and a couple of emails, I have received no help. I also told manager will call me back and they did not. I finally had to go file a police report because of their email saying that someone is going around saying that they are me. I cannot believe that they are not responding in a rapid manner.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I had been trying to cancel my membership with this spa since November 2015, and had yet to receive a refund for the month of November as I had requested by December 2015, let alone the courtesy of someone from the staff returning my multiple inquiries to speak with a manager regarding my requests. I stopped into the salon Monday, December 7th around noon and spoke with a front desk associate named Stephen, and explained to him my frustration with the customer service department. He assured me that a manager (Patrick?) would be contacting me that same afternoon to follow up with me and to date, no one has followed up with me. I chose to file a claim against the establishment with my credit card company as well as Consumer Affairs.

Aveda Institute expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1978, Aveda has become a household name, and they continue their excellence in the educational field, graduating more than 7,000 students each year.

• Solid reputation: The Aveda name is well known for its focus on natural beauty care, and graduates of this school become a part of the overall Aveda brand.

• Real world teaching methods: In the Aveda Institute, students get to walk in the shoes of every role in a salon or spa. They complete activities that give them the practical knowledge they need to be successful in a beauty career.

• Multiple locations: With 59 institutes worldwide, students can arrange to complete their beauty school education in any one of these areas.

• Financial aid: Not only is financial aid available, each institute has its own Financial Aid Department on site to help.

• Quick form for information: By filling out a short form, you can get all the information you need to decide on whether Aveda Institute is for you.

• Best for: High school grads, hobbyists and job seekers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs