Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.83/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Aveda Institute Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aveda Institute?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aveda Institute?

Original review: June 10, 2020

I have waited months to redeem my points for the $75.00 service discount. I was told they no longer have the certificates. I don't need the actual certificate according to my salon. The lady on the phone agreed. I don't need the certificate. She said she just can not give me the $75.00 credit. Shame on Aveda!!!

Original review: April 17, 2020

I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years now. Few years back I became Pure Privilege member too. Unfortunately I couldn't make a purchase last 2 years with a new born and missed the cut off date of Pure Privilege expiry by 3 months. Not only did the customer service decline reinstating, but also said my collected points all over these years of purchase expired and can no longer use them. This is very unfair treatment for a loyal customer who spent expensive products all over these years and also spent $10 to purchase the Pure Privilege and have been buying their product all these time. Combination of Product quality and customer service only buys a customer. This is pure cheating. Beware when you decide on becoming loyal customer to a company that doesn't value it.

Get buying tips about Cosmetology Schools delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: March 16, 2020

I absolutely love Aveda's Damage Remedy line of hair care products, but, that's about where my love for this company ends.

1. After 11+ years of loyalty, I no longer get my hair done at their salons, as the quality of service and the professionalism of the stylists themselves have been on a sharp decline. For instance, two different stylists, on separate occasions, burned my scalp and tore out large, noticeable chunks of my hair. This was after I explicitly told them NOT to blow dry my hair (I usually let it air dry), and especially, DO NOT USE A BRUSH ON MY WET HAIR while blow drying it (I use my fingers to gently comb though if I ever use a blow dryer). Needless to say, I haven't gone back for any salon services since then. I'd rather not have my hair damaged and ripped out, thanks. And I also don't need to hear about all the drama going on in your life- I just came here to get my hair done, geez!

2. Their rewards program is shady. Make sure to keep track of the points you've earned. Mostly they get this part of the experience right, but, if they fail to reward you your points, GOOD LUCK getting them to acknowledge, much less resolve the issue.

3. They employ bait-and-switch tactics to get you to either visit/shop their website or one of their brick-and-mortar stores, and then when you try to use the offer, oftentimes they will not honor the promotion. As with any promotion or coupon, there are qualifying purchases, limitations or other fine print. The problem is that while Aveda's promotions make reference to the fact that restrictions apply, they do not actually publish these limitations or restrictions anywhere, so they are free to make up the rules as they see fit, when they see fit. Not cool.

4. Their "customer service" is abysmal. You wanna feel like a company absolutely doesn't give one poop about the customer experience? Well, give their "team" a call- they're about as apathetic as they come! They are THE definition of apathetic. I never call them anymore when there's a problem with my order, because I know they'll just keep sending me around in phone queue loops. I imagine they spend this time laughing amongst themselves about what a stooge I am for staying on the phone believing anyone cares enough to help. You'll spend a lot of time pleading your case only to realize it falls on deaf ears. Their phone "support" offers little more than wasted time and a ton of frustration. Concerns rarely, if ever, get resolved.

I used to be a big Aveda fan- using only their cosmetics and hair care products, and even believing in their garbage "earth friendly mission". Boy did they have me fooled! Go ahead: Dig a little deeper into their operations. Check out their supply chain. They don't actually do anything to help the planet or people. If anything, they use poor people in third-world countries as slave labor. They are just clever at marketing, touting themselves as "conscientious" when they are not.

Because of this, and because their level of care for their customers has been painfully, obviously trending downward, I have stopped using their products except for a couple of the Damage Remedy treatments. Regretfully, try as I might, I just haven't been able to find any other hair care products, expensive or cheap, that come even close to giving me the same results. When I do though (I continue to search), I will be running away from this awful company as fast as possible and never looking back!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

Would that I could rate in the minuses. Well that I'd give them a retry after disastrous hair experience... after all who can mess up nails, $10 manicure, appt made several weeks prior. I can put up with a lot. Day before the appt I made for my daughter and myself, I received a message that there was a staffing problem and my appt was cancel. So I called back and it took me forever to find out both appts were cancel because the person who made the appts didn't know who or how to make valid appts.

And btw, I could still get the reduced rate sometime next year and oh btw, if I wanted the concern brought to someone's attn, no the Aveda appt individual wouldn't be bothered with that because don't you know it's not her job and besides everybody already knows about it. [Apparently no one really cares how I feel about it.] But I could call the complaint dept [of which I am sure there are infinitesimal amounts] and wait for a callback [probably sometime next year, decade, century, millennium]. Yep. Final. Will NOT be going back this side of NEVER EVER. Not only that but 6 months ago.

The worst hair salon experience ever. I now look nearly bald, my scalp is burned, my ear was nipped by scissors, I literally have 2 inch stripes rather than weave. The student said she'd been up late yawning away (not to mention foul breath and dirty fingers), stumbling around, starting & stopping repeatedly noting she forgot to assemble equipment, dye, tried to use the wrong scissors, did not let me see the weave job, never sought instructor review of the weave. In fact the tall male instructor ignored the working students but rather sat around cracking jokes with others just sitting around. $65 later. Won't be back.

Original review: April 25, 2019

First off I understand that drama is a part of every beauty school experience at some point so I will avoid elaborating on any of those situational details and focus primarily on management, and those hired to uphold the Aveda name and reinforce the company culture that is perceived by the public eye. I completed the esthetician program in early March, and Aveda is responsible for assisting with scheduling our state board exams, and ensuring that all students' hours, personal information, and program information are accurate on SHEARS, TDLR's system for tracking license/permits and hours for all cosmetology and barbering programs. However it has been over a month since completing the program, I have made tireless attempts to contact the the assistant director, Bianca **, and have included other administrators, but continue to receive silence.

When the school first issued my student permit I notified 2 individuals that my DOB was incorrect and was told by both that this would be resolved, however when I check the state website, clearly the error remains. While I am happy to apply for licensing and get all of this straightened out on my own, the administrators at Aveda register us aestheticians through SHEARS incorrectly as cosmetology students, so that we are not empowered to set up our own test dates without their help.

Nobody at Aveda (AI South) seems to care about the students (especially noncosmetology). I can honestly say that trying to get a response from the school administrators has been the MOST DIFFICULT part of my entire attempt to become an esthetician. I strongly suggest that if you are looking for a school that you find one that is fair and ethical at an administrative level as that's where the culture transcends from.... Aveda Institute in Austin, TX is unorganized, unprofessional, and hired employees play favorites with the students and anyone who does not fit their liking gets treated unfairly.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I went to the East Lansing location. For charging as much as they do, the quality of the education is very subpar, and it has nothing to do with the instructors. The problem is that as an Aveda school, everything is taught within the Aveda framework. Anything Aveda doesn't "believe in", you won't be taught. This includes some fundamentals. For example, I took the Esthiology course. Aveda doesn't believe in nearly anything mechanical, microdermabrasion, or chemical peels. You will taught their watered down, Aveda product-based "alternatives". You will spend one day in class learning and using things like microcurrent, etc.

This is clearly done to essentially trap you within the Aveda network after graduating, as you will leave very poorly prepared for work in any other setting. You will, however, learn a whole lot of useless information about chakras, and if your location is like mine, start everyday in a dark classroom, inhaling essential oils and meditating to sitar music.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

The school was great and everything went well here. I enjoyed everything about it. Also, the school was very clean and made licensing easier. The classes were easy to enroll in and I learned a lot. They have very knowledgeable and friendly staff.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I enjoyed my classes at Aveda. The school was great and the teachers were pretty cool. I really enjoyed my teachers and my classmates. Also, the prices were great and I feel like I learned so much in the short time it took to graduate. It was a great time and I'm happy I enrolled when I did. I love my new career field and I am so thankful for the Aveda staff. However, I did not much care for the financial aid offerings. It was difficult for me to pay out of pocket and I should be considered low income. I have a family of 6 and live on one income at the time.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Aveda Institute was a great school and more people should go to the school. I had fun, I learned how to apply myself and I became a more successful and affluent person, as well as a more educated individual. I loved that the teachers were great at what they did and were very happy anytime I had questions. They helped me with anything I needed, and helped me graduate and become the best that I could be. It would have been amazing if they made the classes shorter, since the school had very long hours and the bigger the campus, the better people feel.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I had an enjoyable experience in beauty school. I learned a lot about hair, nails, makeup and skin care in Aveda Institute. I enjoyed the hands-on experience and I was able to spend a lot of one-on-one time with my instructors. It was fun and exciting to literally learn on the job and work with real clients in a salon setting. I am so excited to start my career as a professional hair stylist. My experience was overall positive although I had issues with a few of my instructors. I wish though that some of the profits from the services I performed in school contributed to my tuition somehow, especially as a student, I had to cut my hours at work and wasn't able to save money while I was in school and I am now several thousand dollars in debt.

Aveda Institute author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1978, Aveda has become a household name, and they continue their excellence in the educational field, graduating more than 7,000 students each year.

• Solid reputation: The Aveda name is well known for its focus on natural beauty care, and graduates of this school become a part of the overall Aveda brand.

• Real world teaching methods: In the Aveda Institute, students get to walk in the shoes of every role in a salon or spa. They complete activities that give them the practical knowledge they need to be successful in a beauty career.

• Multiple locations: With 59 institutes worldwide, students can arrange to complete their beauty school education in any one of these areas.

• Financial aid: Not only is financial aid available, each institute has its own Financial Aid Department on site to help.

• Quick form for information: By filling out a short form, you can get all the information you need to decide on whether Aveda Institute is for you.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team