American Career College

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Please read this review before you make ANY decisions to attend ACC. It is for your own benefit, I promise. This school is full of false promises, horrible clinical sites and general overall lies and betrayal. If I could go back in time and undo going here, I would in a heartbeat. So much happened in my 20 months at American Career College, I can barely think where to begin. I will first discuss my sign up process, then break it down term by term. Signing up with ACC: The process was relatively simple (of course, because they just hook you for the money). You meet with an advisor (a sales representative more like it), take a placement test, sign up for financial aid and Voila! You’re an ACC student.

Upon signing up, here are a couple things we are told: 1 - The school tuition costs include EVERYTHING you will need from start to finish, INCLUDING NCLEX exam (this is listed clearly in the student handbook as well, but we will get to that disaster later). 2 - The school is available to help you with anything you need. 3 - The school has amazing clinical sites picked out where we will get in field, hands on experience. Lies, lies and more lies. Lets begin!

Term 1: First term of LVN program. My theory teacher was amazing. She changed my life and outlook on nursing for the best. My Clinicals experience, however, was another story. We were at a facility in Brentwood, (Brentwood Rehabilitation center) where we were not allowed to do anything. I mean anything at all. We sat in a room for hours and did homework. Our clinicals professor was also a complete joke. She basically would tell us that she didn’t have time to review our care plans and that she “didn’t get paid to take work home”. How did she not have time if we were sitting there doing nothing?? What a joke.

Term 2: Theory teacher was great, again. A much better teacher for clinicals, nothing to complain about with her specifically, but yet again the facility itself was a NIGHTMARE. Fountain View sub-acute & rehab facility, to put it lightly, is hell. The staff was beyond rude to all the students, would not let us participate in any type of patient care (besides 2 wound care nurses who were incredible, and are the only reason why I didn’t drop out of this disastrous school in term 2). Not to mention, way more than half of our clinical weekends were spent on campus, sitting and doing nothing, because we were so unwanted at the site. A site that also has so many HIPAA violations and health violations I’m sure if it was properly assessed, would be shut down in a second.

I appreciate the study time, but that I can do at home, for free. I am paying for (or believed I was paying for) educational, hands on experience at top-notch facilities, that will prepare me for a nursing job in the real world. I can easily say more of our clinicals hours were clocked sitting on campus chit chatting about life and watching Netflix, than obtaining actual hands on experience. Nearing the end of term 2 I got completely fed up and for a third time brought this issue up to my ADON and the program director. I was assured by my ADON that this would be solved by placing me in the best clinicals site we have, LAC+USC. Great. Or so I thought.

Term 3: Theory teacher, again, awesome. Clinicals… LAC+USC, when we were allowed to be on site, were better. BUT the lack of days we were actually allowed to BE on site, ruined it. By this point I was completely fed up and filed an official complaint to the Accreditation Board. They opened a case, and of course the school made everything look perfect, so they closed the case.

Term 4: At this point I was so ready to just be done with this hell hole of a school. Term 4 went smoothly, we had a great theory professor again, and clinicals were actually better. I was looking forward to leaving the school with less hate in my heart towards them (LOL), but of course, that would soon change. We knew once we finished term 4, we complete VN500 (a 2 or 3 week review) and then had to take a HESI exit exam to officially graduate from the school. What we were told, since day one, is if you pass the HESI that’s it, you are done with classes and the school sends your paperwork to the board, and you get your letter to register for NCLEX.

I took my HESI, passed on the first try (yay), and found out my paperwork had been sent to the board. We were told also, by Ms.Ina **, that we MUST attend one session of review within 45 days, in order to have the exam paid for, otherwise they will drop us from the program. Fine, understood. I attended one review as instructed. 2 months later I got my letter from the Board that I was eligible to register for my NCLEX. I was SUPER excited to have finally gotten this, so I rushed home to register and take my NCLEX ASAP so everything was fresh in my mind.

I begin registering and I get to the payment page, so I look on my letter for my code for the school to cover the cost (Like we were told from day 1), and there’s nothing! So I called my term 3 teacher, who is now the schools ADON, and he said that the school does NOT pay for Nclex! I was shocked and befuddled completely, because like I said since term 1, we were told otherwise. I presented my concerns to him, and he then changed the story. He said, “Well, there is a stipulation. The school will pay for your NCLEX IF you attend all review sessions (after having already graduating and passing HESI exit) and you get a 60% or higher on Ms.Ina’s practice exams and she feels you’re ready”.

I was like, excuse me? I graduated already, I passed my HESI first try, I am ready. I shouldn’t have to take another exam to prove myself AGAIN, when I don’t even go to the school anymore. He suggested I speak with Ms. Ina and Dr. ** (the schools director). Lo and behold I emailed Ms. Ina and left a voicemail and didn’t hear back till she emailed me a day later basically ignoring all my concerns and telling me to speak to Dr. **.

Dr. ** at least pretended to hear me out. He stated he would look at my grades and get back to me. Being I am a straight A student that passed all my exams with flying colors, I assumed it was a case by case basis and he would get back to me with the code. However, he then proceeded to tell me that this is not the case and what is listed in the paperwork is that the school pays the registration fee of $150. I explained to him yes, that IS in the paperwork, right above where it says the school covers the $200 for NCLEX. I even screenshotted the paperwork and sent it to him. He then proceeded to state all paperwork had been revised and he began to list ALL of the conditions in which the student must complete, in order for the school to pay for the Nclex; NONE of which we were EVER informed of!!! NONE of which are listed in our paperwork. Completely just made up rules so they don’t have to give us what they promised us.

All we were informed of was the “45 day rule” which he claims he never even heard of!!! It seems that the administration just makes up rules as they please in this school. I was told by Dr. ** that he would bring my case to the “Executive director” of the school, so I waited 2 days to hear back from him. When I finally reached back out to him, it sounded like he had zero intentions of calling me back, and just gave me the same BS runaround.

A bunch of my classmates have reached out to him as well and he doesn’t return their calls. I understand that passing rates are important, especially to a school like this, BUT that is not my problem. I know when I am ready to take my exam. I am already fully graduated and done with the program. Why should I be required to pass some other BS exam that I was NEVER informed of to begin with, from some ridiculous woman. Who, by the way, talks about a mile a minute and her lecture style is ALL over the place.

The administration of this school is just a nightmare to deal with overall, and they don’t give a damn about their students at ALL. All they care about is getting you to sign up, getting your money, and then they completely push you aside along with ANY concerns you bring to their attention. It’s a scam. It’s a lie. Its all about the money. Do yourself a HUGE favor and go elsewhere. Even if it means being on a 2 year waiting list at a college. If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I’d be glad to talk to you!

Such a horrible/school and training center. There is this person by the name of ** at the long beach campus and she is the dental coordinator. She needs to be fired. They took my money but never delivered what they promised as far as career service. I tried to get a job following my training but was unable to due to lack of knowledge about dental assisting. They failed to train me correctly. I am totally dissatisfied with the way they treated me after I paid all that money in order to get trained. I hope they fire that liar and trust me when I say DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL.

I am currently a student at LA ACC campus, studying the surgical technology associate of science (AOSST) degree program. I also already work in surgery (ortho/neuro/vascular) in another field (perfusion). I highly recommend the program, and have high respect for the instructors. I cannot speak for the other programs at ACC, but the AOSST is pricey, but worth it. Is surgical technology for everyone? Big no. Perhaps their admissions advisors could do a better job of screening people who will potentially be OR material.

I say this based on the number of people who've dropped from my class (I'm 7 months in of 18, and our class size has already dropped from 55 to 32), and the reviews I read here and on other sites. The instructors are surgeons, RNs, and all of them are certified STs. We have an excellent lab, with a lot of instruments and equipment. Our director is on the board of the Association Of Surgical Technologists, and helps write the exam. I see recent grads come in every week to brag about getting hired, usually just where they wanted. Based off of what I see everyday working in a major hospital OR, I can say with confidence that ACC is an excellent school, where I am learning much more than the average ST out there. As I mentioned, I guess I'd like to see their screening process weed out more people, so there is less time wasted on those who aren't serious (and then write bad reviews because they couldn't cut it).

I attended their for-profit program in the mid-2000's, to learn to be an Optometry assistant. They give just 5 days to decide if you like the program, to either quit or fully commit. I had doubts and tried to quit, but the school counselor brought in my instructor who then said, basically, that I would be a fool not to continue, because of all the higher income I would make after completing the program. This was before I learned what 'For-Profit Schools' were all about.

I went ahead and completed the program, though many of the study materials were handtyped and copied, and saw that the program dragged out much too long, for what one learned. Also, the school talks about their placement office helping to find a good job-position, but all the applying and interviews for working in an Optometrist office, I had to go make on my own. In the end, the only job I was offered was at a Lenscrafter’s, and the job did not require any previous knowledge at all, and the job was listed in the newspaper, so they did not do much more than look it up online which anyone can do.

And lastly, they are not honest about job prospects in a field that hires mainly younger females that are bilingual - as I later learned on all my job interviews. I was in mid-forties when I finished their program, and as a male, and only fluent in English, no doctor's office would hire me. I later found one that would hire me part time, but it was for much less than what I was earning as a security guard, at the time. So, all in all, I got into continuing student loan debt and wasted over a year of my time for a big fat 'nothing'! I came away feeling they just want students, and they have no real regard for their course actually being right for someone.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU JOIN!!! I Am currently in my last term for the full time vocational nursing program. During my full year here I have seen teachers leave left and right. As I joined even the director had just been rehired and once again a few months later left the director position and we stayed without a director for weeks. We finally received a new director but it seems the director is obviously not in it for the students or the improvement of the school. Most of the exchanges or student interactions with him will end up being talked to in a condescending manner as he ignores any complaint or suggestion you have for the program. Sadly the assistant director is doing the same thing. Any attempt to resolve an issue will end up with "it's the students' responsibility not ours".

You figure with a tuition of $35,000 you would have working equipment... Projectors don't work which affects us greatly, skills lab equipment outdated or broken, the class size is too big leading to an abundance of talking all day not allowing you to listen to the lecture. Overall morale of the class is very low and the guidelines are made to work to protect the staff not the student.

I have been asked to drive to different places all in great distance from me to obtain things they should have originally done and upon completion get told I have to make up for the day I missed doing their request. I am a good student and do what I am asked. I have good grades and respect my instructors. Please don't think I am some poor joe who is doing this out of anger for my grades etc. There are alternatives to joining this school - much cheaper, better staffed, better structure, and better student support.

I'm sure someone from the school will comment underneath this post asking to speak to me and that they apologize for the inconvenience blah blah blah. All they want is for the negative review to be deleted. This school BARELY IS RATED AT 3 STARS. Think about it... I hope you make the right decision and you open your eyes to the sad reality of this place.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Career College?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

This school was a NIGHTMARE. Extremely unstable administration. In 18 months one Dean of Nursing was fired, then her replacement ended up quitting. Our first 20 weeks in the program of theory was spent with an instructor who wasn't even supposed to be teaching. She was the assistant director of the VN department. She had failing health throughout the 20 weeks and as a result we could barely understand her lectures, and sat there as she read powerpoints off to us... for 5 hours. The skills labs are like watching the 3 stooges, totally unorganized, no one is on the same page, the staff hasn't a clue what's going on because the admin is so unorganized.

Clinical locations are completely not conducive to learning. Especially if you are in the weekend evening program. The nurses and doctors don't want you there, and unless they know or have a long standing history with your clinical instructor, they won't let you do anything other than CNA work. The nurses see you coming and say, "oh good! They can help us feed and clean/change our patients.“ You’re not going to give injections or insert foley catheters, or have anything to do with their IV's. We also were required to have so many clinical hours of OB/Maternity/Peds and Mental health, but they didn't even have a hospital for us to go to do our clinical hours at!! They stuck us in a simulation lab with a guy who's not a nurse or doctor who spent about 30 minutes with us trying to explain OB on mannequins. You will be LUCKY if you get to perform any of the nursing skills ACC requires you to learn in order to graduate!

This school is very expensive and not at all what I was told or promised when I enrolled. I was so excited to start my nursing education when I first joined, but after attending this school I feel so cheated and robbed. I definitely don't feel confident that I can go out and work as an LVN. Don't waste your money here. Do your research and go to a community college. It will take longer but you will get an excellent education there.

I would not recommend any private schools at all. After I did a lot of homework on the schools I actually thought it was the best, but I found out it was not true after attending the lvn class. Some instructors were very good in theory not in clinical, some were lazy, others expected you to know when you didn't. Better to take this course at community college, may take longer but way cheaper.

I was in the VN weekend program. Well besides being caught up in the middle of having the DEAN changed, I was re-entering term 3 due to being dropped for being punished for apparently absences from term 2, when I thought that had been cleared. As well, I was just starting my re-entry to term 3 and had an emergency...had surgery. That was something I could not control and I was not given the option of continuing later on. I was fully dropped. I understand the responsibility as a student, but it bothered me to see many other students given other options or chances just for crying or making a show in the DEAN's office. Not fair!

I attended the norco campus (now ontario) in 2006, graduated in 2007. I went for ultrasound tech fresh out of high school, youngest in my class. Thinking this was it I was gonna be making good money, great career. YEAH RIGHT!! They changed instructors a lot, some of the instructors spoke horrible English, couldn't really understand them, not a lot of lab hours or able to practice due to a limit amount of machines. Our clinical sites were far. I had to go to Whittier, Westminster. They didn't help with job placement. I am now 20,000 dollars in debt and not even working in that field. It's so upsetting to pay this loan even month knowing it did nothing for me.

I remember enrolling at LACC's Rosewood campus several years back and thinking to myself... Okay, I'll invest the $35k and get a skill which is in high demand. Well, first of all, before we address what the school cannot deliver, there's a lot of variables which you must be made aware of before considering the field of surgical technology: The good news is that, yes, SOME STUDENTS do land jobs in the same hospital where they are sent to complete their mandatory clinical rotation.

Let's be clear, however... You're not just passing instruments! You will be required to set up complicated and very expensive equipment (we're talking in the thousands) before the OR proc. even starts, which you may, or may not be allowed to even touch while you're doing your mandatory clinical rotation. Why not? Because it's not about what you do right, it's all about what you do wrong! If you anger a surgeon in the slightest - that's it. Everyone in the matter of seconds finds out what you did wrong - even if it's not too terrible.

If you succeed at setting up, know this, you have to do everything with lightning fast precision and accuracy. Fast? NO! Lightning fast!! If you're the type of person who does things kinda fast and you're just kinda organized - believe me, you will most likely fail. Everyone in this environment is SUPER OCD about every single thing. EXAMPLE: You could be working on a procedure lasting eight hours and do everything right. But, if you pass something to the surgeon at the last moment too slow or incorrectly, you'll get SCREAMED AT for not being focused - sometimes, even banished from even returning to the operating room.

The OR environment is kinda like "Hunger Games" in that, if you have a hard time forging alliances with people who work there - forget it, you will be isolated and forgotten and you'll be wondering why it seems that every five minutes a different surgeon is yelling at you for incompetency. Now, let's talk about what the school (ACC) DOES NOT provide...

1. Small classes (forget it!) The classes are PACKED and no one is necessarily encouraged to drop if they're performing poorly. 2. Large variety of instruments and specialty instruments (forget it!) You get to practice with a general instrument tray and some laparoscopic instruments -- that is, before the next student's turn (No! You don't get to take anything home to practice with). 3. ACC admissions will not reveal the fact one is required to pass a 20-minute setup test in the surg. tech lab - you get three chances; otherwise, do not pass, go and do not collect $200.00 (regardless of your GPA) and they'll make you come back after 20 weeks to try again.

Bottom line: Success in this field is hardly about grades!!!!!! ACC doesn't say it, but what it wants are students who are physically/mentally super-fast, accurate, and super-attentive to detail to the point of being almost OCD. Know this, too, in the OR, more often than not, it will be just you and the surgeon so don't think for a second you'll be able to wing it and keep a job...

I don't recommend going to this school to anyone. The LVN department sucks. They aren't understanding or want to help you. All they want to do is steal your money. They make you think you'll pass the program but won't help you if you need help. What they don't tell you in the ads is that you might not graduate from there but even if you don't they will take your money. They change instructors throughout every term. They don't have a stable staff. Throughout the time I was there they changed directors about 3 times. They really don't care about anyone but themselves. So do yourself a favor & look for another school that offers the program you would like but not this school - it's horrible. I honestly regret going here. It's a waste of time & a waste of money. This place deserves no stars.

Okay so I assisted ACC. Nov. 2013 - Jul. 2014, I went for medical assisting. In the Long Beach campus, right after graduating HS, I enrolled just to avoid community college & well My experience was actually very good. I had one of the best instructors. He was very helpful, always worrying about his students & always offering his lunch time for tutoring for those who needed it (even though I never went).

Yes, my class was full off 20 & over females (moms) who acted like high school brats, always dramatic with everything. I would've thought they'd be more mature, always bringing negative vibe into the classroom. I always minded my own business, kept my circle small and talked to everyone regardless if they didn't "speak" to someone around me & I was the youngest in the class, I had just turned 18.

Anywho, another downside, we always ran out of materials. Sometimes we couldn't practice injection because we had no injections or band-aids, etc... We didn't have vacutainers or enough iodine ink but we ran out of stuff. Either way we worked with what we had. Anyways my experience wasn't so bad those 8 months. The last month before going out to extern, we were suppose to have mock interviews, tips on how to dress for an interview, all that prep stuff. Somehow, it didn't happened & right after my last day of class, I hadn't heard anything about my externship site. I was concerned but I didn't have time to stay after school and ask.

That afternoon, I got home to receive a call that I had an interview the very next morning. I was caught absolutely off guard, I didn't know what to wear, what to say, what to do, I wasn't expecting that. Whatever, I went to the interview but didn't get the job. They set me up for another interview and that one I did get, & I loved it! I loved that site and I actually did get hired. I'm working there till this day. They offered me minimum wage to start off which I expected more. I never worked at a job for minimum wage & c'mon, minimum wage for MA. But I guess at least I got the job, and yes, thanks to ACC, I am now in the medical field.

I see all the complaints about ACC and they are true. I am attending school at the location in Anaheim and they are such ignorant people and pick and chose who they want to help. I would never ever refer anyone to that school ever and if I have to I will report them to Sacrament. I am to the point that I just want to switch schools even if it means I have to start over again. Listen to the reviews. We are not making it up!!!!

I am currently attending the nursing program at ACC and it is total fraud... They advertise small classes (term one has 75 students). They advertise excellent instructors (there are no instructors - 3 semesters I had nursing administration teaching me). They advertise fantastic high definition simulation lab (I am in my final semester and never once got to use it). They say our program is a clock hour program and that we must have mandatory hours in clinical (have spent weeks throughout the program on campus in a classroom no instructors). The Board of Nursing should be aware of this and close this place down.

I paid 9 thousand dollars for this dental assisting course... And I was thinking I was going to make good $$$. I am working just to pay my student loan back... ugh! Do your research... I would have done much better with regional occupational programs... Waste of money!!!

I attended ACC on Rosewood Ave. in Los Angeles about a few years ago. I don't know how I got suckered in to enrolling there. I had everything about it. I felt like I was in high school all over again. Mr. ** is the most ignorant person I've come across. He would often get complaints about students and never would bring it to that student's attention. The students were all bipolar. They would often bring their problems from home and use that as a reason to run up on people and try to fight. Yet ACC allows these types of persons in only to make a quick buck. ACC obviously didn't give a damn of the well-being of others. The place is so ghetto. When I started, I kept to myself. Just so happened that the girl I started speaking to had problems with a group of girls and somehow I got thrown in to the mix. Even though I never said nothing about anyone I was constantly harassed. I complained to ACC director and nothing was ever done. The students who harassed me remained there. So I don't recommend this So Cal school to anyone. Save your money and time. This isn't a legit school. They don't have any type of credentials. They say they help you find work at the end but that's all a crock of **... so stay away from ACC.

I attended the school for the full 8 months and the whole thing was unorganized. The SRC was always closed or something was wrong with the computer systems. They always lost all of my paper work. Also the school doesn't believe in calling someone to come pick up their cap & gown or diploma. They were more concerned with the payments of the school (which I paid on time every month but for some crazy reason they said I was "late"). It took the ex-tern coordinator two weeks after I fished my classes to find me a site to go for training.

Soon after I started my externship, I received calls saying I was going to be dropped from the program because I wasn't sending in my time sheets, but in reality the coordinator wouldn't take the time out to read his email. Also after my graduation, they said that the diploma would be ready within 2 weeks. Guess who got to wait a month for it NOT to be there? Now I have to wait an additional 2 weeks for it to come in. The whole school was and is a complete WASTE OF TIME & MONEY!

I have been very dissatisfied with American Career College since almost the beginning. Let me just start by saying that just because you have worked in the medical field for many years, that does not mean that you should teach. My instructor is the worst I have encountered in my entire academic career. The instructor always inserts her personal feelings and religious views into every lesson and puts down anyone with opposing views. She has gone as far as calling another student "immoral" in front of the whole class, because she talked about living with her boyfriend. She is very disrespectful and rude and gets defensive when it is brought to her attention.

I sincerely feel that I am not where I should be at this point, so close to "graduating." Her teaching style and grading methods do not make any sense, and I honestly think that she just makes up the grades at the end of the module based on whether she likes you or not. Other students have complained about her performance and when it gets back to her, she singled them out in class and threatened the students by making statements, such as: "The last student who complained got put on academic probation," and, "No one is going to hire you." And was also stated that if we don't like how this classroom is run, then we should just move to a different class.

I am paying hard-earned money to basically teach my self. She is of no help in the lab and gets frustrated and gives the students an attitude when we ask for help. She said that we should already know what to do. She is there to instruct, which means that if we need help, she should jump through hoops to try and get us to understand the material, but instead she always replies with disdain, "I don't know. Look in your book." Her teaching methods are a joke. This school focuses on students following a dress code more than they care about their students understanding the material. It is frustrating to be paying for an education I don't feel I am receiving. I would not recommend attending ACC to anyone.

I am sorry to say that I have been hoodwinked. I was told of the importance of becoming certified in my chosen field (Surgical Technology) but in the real world, there are only two things my certification is good for: Diddly and squat. During my clinical, I was frequently threatened with expulsion as well as being hazed by my preceptors. By the time I finished my clinicals, I was an emotional basket case. Some people have no business being in the teaching profession. I have applied for many jobs and haven't received so much as a phone call. In my experience, nobody is willing to hire a recent graduate. All I heard was "how desperate the need is for healthcare workers". Don't believe the hype! Think long and hard before you commit to this school. I want to emphasize that there are many good people who work for ACC, just a few bad apples.

I started the Dental Assisting Program in June of this year. Since starting, I have been very disappointed! I have a teacher by the name of Alma ** that has really been difficult to deal with. After about 2-3 Weeks, I decided to ask the students if she have a problem with African American students. At the time, I was the only one in her class, besides 1 Caucasian student and 1 Armenian student. The rest of the students are Hispanic. To my amazement, they asked me, couldn't I tell? They also told me that just before I came, Mrs. ** had a altercation with several African American students in her class! They were transferred to another class. Why wasn't I informed of this prior to being placed in her class?

She has a problem pronouncing the words that she calls herself grading us for. She doesn't get her lesson plan or materials together in a timely manner (and it shows). And she makes rules up as she goes along. She does not proof read any of her work, so there are mistakes. She jumps in student conversations. And I/we know more about her business than we should. She belittles students in class. And she has gone as far as calling my husband a "sugar daddy" in front of the class because he pays my bills. She was not made to apologize at all! And of course, an excuse was given for that.

My husband and I had a meeting with Mrs. ** and Mrs. **. I had written a letter that mapped out all of the problems and they both read it. Mrs. ** was given an opportunity to speak/give her side of the story. She was at a lost for words! We couldn't even buy a vowel out of her! She had no defense whatsoever. It seemed like after the meeting, she was doing a little better but it has declined. She is arrogant and manipulative and that is not a good mixture. I was told by both Mrs ** and Mrs. ** and I quote: " If I don't like what is going on and if I am so dissatisfied, I have the option to go to another class." It appears like instead of rectifying the situation, she gets away with whatever she chooses.

The majority of the students are young and I am a few years younger than my teacher. I know more about the law, and have previous working experiences. It seems to me that she is threatened or intimidated by that fact. Either way, I am paying for this education and I deserve the right to get a decent one. If I would have known what I know now, I would have taken this course at a regular college for a few thousand dollars. Mind you, I am a cash student! They have gotten $4000 plus from me. I pay $1000 per month and have 4 more months left. I don't know what else to do at this point. Something needs to be done immediately, because I need my education that I am paying for!

I attended this school in 2007 and graduated in 2008. I had joined the Medical Assistants program which promised a career in the medical field. Unfortunately, with all my hard work, this did not happen. My instructor had informed me that if I get good grades and perfect attendance she will help me get into Kaiser. I work hard every day, never missed a day and was never late. I was Valedictorian of my class and received honor roll and perfect attendance on graduation.

A month prior to graduation, the instructor informs me they had become unaccredited and Kaiser or any other hospital will not hire anyone from American Career College. Then I was told for internship, I will go to a great place and be hired on there. Again a lie! They sent me to a Spanish speaking facility. I speak English and my instructor knew this. I couldn't get that job either because I am not bilingual! I tried a few different places myself and again couldn't get hired because I am not bilingual. So now I work in a garden supply store and owe thousands of dollars to this crappy ** company who promise their attendees great things then in the end, like to ** them over. Thanks American Career College you know how to set people up with a great career. Not!

I went to school in Los Angeles, for dental Assistant. Before signing up, I was promised big money, job guarantee program, lifetime job placement etc. The only resource for jobs they have for students is a big binder full of job posting, but the majority of jobs are for 5+ experienced assistants, or old posting. I graduated in 2010. I only had one job that I found on my own and I was fired because I was inexperienced. The tools and material used in dental office is quite different than what I was trained to use, so I looked pretty dumb on the job site. I called and complained about no job help and they told me it's not their problem.

I since gave up the profession and started to go to real college. I complained that to the director of education name Rita **, and she pretty much call me a liar. And since I went to complain about my bad experience, they have not even bother calling me to let me know that they have addressed the issue, or even corrected the discrimination issue that I explain to her that I had with one of the employees. I was called a fag by Marcy **. I have complaint with the better business b. and consumer affairs. I also have contacted an attorney because I am tired of getting the round of round.

I have tried to follow the proper channels and nothing. I'm in the process of getting evicted because I have to pay my rent. I called Mr. Rick ** and his advise was to go and beg a temp agency and ask for any type of job. I told him what was the point of me paying American career 22,000 dollars to better my life if I'm going to be doing that. I want a refund because all I got were lies and now I'm going thru the hardship of being homeless, because I'm still not working and I'm not able to pay my rent.

I experienced lots of collection letters and waste of schooling. I went under false pretenses. Later on, after graduation I met a friend, who told me she works at American Career College. She gets a big commission on every student she can enroll. They are allowed to say whatever they can as long as they are enrolling students. There is a lot of pressure. They could lose their job if they don't keep their numbers up. So they say anything to get people in the school.

They promise to give me a job after I finish my schooling. I went there 2008, fresh from abroad with a good standing credit score. But after I went to that school, I messed up my auntie's credit score and mine. Is there any way I can sue that school? Please, I need some legal advice. I got calls from Sallie Mae and ACS about my payment, which I can't pay because I don't have a job. Kindly email me at **

My name is Valentin **, I graduated from American Career College in Anaheim in 2008-2009. When I enrolled into school, I let them know I had misdemeanors on my record but they told me it was okay that when I finished school, I would still be able to get into the medical field. Well unfortunately, I have not been able to get a job as a medical assistant and now, the school does background checks before you can even start a program. If I would have known I wasn't going to be able to get into the medical field, I would have never started school and owe all that money. So now, I want to know if I have a case against the school?

I attended ACC in 2001-2002 taking their 8-module course in Medical Assisting. When I signed on, they not only took the maximum amount of Federal and State financial aid I was entitled to (roughly $3000), but they also had me sign for a student loan ($5280). They received the Pell Grant and Cal Grant checks that I would endorse to them at the school, which they would then cash.

I never once touched any of the money they took. I graduated in 2002, and worked in the field for 5 years thereafter in menial-wage jobs, never having had any help from their job assistance program past doing my internship, and never making enough money to pay back my student loan. I worked for a non-medical entity for a few years before I was laid off after the economic breakdown. I returned to ACC for assistance in finding a job and re-certification as I had been promised when I first attended, and was met with a rude program director (Wendy ***) who told me that I no longer qualified for refresher courses because they had been discontinued after 2006. And that I would have to retake the course and pay the tuition all over again. After that conversation, I went to the job placement office to find out if they had any jobs and they only offered me volunteer positions, and not legitimate job offers because I was no longer certified.

I have not been able to get hired in any medical setting because I no longer carry any certifications, even though I still retain most of the knowledge I acquired when attending the school. Because I have not been able to pay off the loans I signed for, I also cannot receive financial aid from the community college I am attending now, and have to front all the costs associated with continuing my education. I attempted to call the Fed to discuss this situation and possibly forgive part of my loan, but no one wanted to hear my story. They concluded that because I completed the course, I have to pay the money back. This is not fair. I have to pay money for an education I can no longer utilize, and I don't know what to do at this point. I maxed out my unemployment benefits and have to settle into a security job that pays less than I was receiving on unemployment.

Any assistance as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated, as this student loan is the only real debt I carry and have no escape from. Thank you.

I went to school in Los Angeles, for dental assisting. Before signing up, I was promised big money, job guarantee program, lifetime job placement and etc. The only resource for jobs they have for students, is a big binder full of job posting, but the majority of jobs are for 5+ experienced assistants, or old posting. I graduated in 2004. I only had one job I found on my own, and was fired because, I was inexperienced. The tools, and material used in dental office is quite different than what I was trained to use, so I looked pretty dumb on the job site. I call and complained about no job help and they told me it's not their problem.

I since gave up the profession and started to go to real college. Also a year after graduation, I was getting automatic withdraws of $100.00 taken from my bank account, and my loan stayed at it's original amount. I stopped paying, switched banks, and somehow, the money from my account was withdrawn from ACS, a loan agency that American Career College works with.

I complained that I had no problem to pay back, but if my loan is not credited then, I'm not gonna be stupid and keep wasting money. I experienced hardships through lots of collection letters and waste of schooling. I went under false pretenses. Later on after graduation, I met a friend, who told me she works at American Career College. She gets a big commission on every student she can enroll. They are allowed to say whatever they can as long as they are enrolling students. There is a lot of pressure they could lose their job if they don't keep their numbers up. So they say anything to get people in the school.

I graduated from American Career College in September of 2009. I have not been able to find a job as a Medical Assistant. The school had not trained me in any medical software. This causes a big problem in trying to find a job. When I signed up, I was told they would help us find a job. They printed out my resume for me. That was the extent of their help. They called me after my internship in September to ask if I found a job. I stated I had not. They informed me they would start helping me look. I did not hear from them again until December of 2009. Again, they asked me if I had found a job. I told them I have not. They assured me they would help me look. I have not heard from them since. It is now March.

While in school, we changed instructors 4 times, which made it hard to learn the new instructors teaching methods, along with the materials. I didn't feel I was learning very much. Some days, no instructor would show up and we would be in the classroom waiting. We would go to the front desk, they never knew what was going on.

My tuition was $12,500. They actually charged me more than that. I just happened to notice. I was making $90.00 Payments. I noticed none of that money was being applied. I had finally had it squared away, after much complaining. My loans start this month. I am trying to defer them a year, because I have no way of paying them.

I have not received any support in finding a job. Finding one fresh out of school is hard enough. Now, with time lapsing farther and farther, from when I graduated, I fear nobody will every hire me. I have found, since graduating, other schools offer the computer software classes that go with medical assisting. I felt I was cheated in this area. Along with having an instructor who was there with us the entire course. It has put me under a lot of stress, worrying if I will ever find a job or be able to pay the loan.

I did the Medical Billing program. I was promised a job when my time came that my class has ended. We (meaning 5 other people from my class) went though the whole exit routine after we were promised jobs. Most of us haven't gotten a job nor has the school helped at all. I do recall getting five phone calls each month saying that they lost my resume, please send it again. After sending my resume each time. they would call and ask for me to resend it because they lost it. It got to a point that I drove from the South Bay, Los Angeles area and dropped of 10 hard copies of my resume. They lost those too.

After a few months went by, I got a call in November asking if I found a job and asking if I have been looking which I have. I sent out over 1000 emails with my resume and still nothing. One guy did call me in December stating that they lost my resume and email to please go in and give it to them. They also requested me to send my in an email, which I had done so then called me back within minutes and requested me to send it as a Word doc. At the time, I didn't have Word 2007 on my laptop. After stating my situation, Angela said for me to drive over there and convert it then go home. It's a 45 minute without traffic, one hour 30 minute drive with traffic one way. I said this to her and she couldn't do anything to help me unless I didn't do that.

First off, I don't have the money to be wasting to go do something for a whole three minutes then drive back. I don't see why she couldn't have helped me out that one time. It is now Feb 2010 and no call from school except my student loan they want me to pay, a sum of $13,000. Me and my friends came up with the idea that this school will only talk to you if you have a credit score.

I was told when i stated the program that they would help me find a job and i completed the program on July 17,2009 and they have not sent me on any interviews, gave me any leads or helped me in any way. I called the supervisor of Alice who is the person thats to help you with job placement and she told me that she could guarantee me that i would be working by the begining of October and its now november and im still not working.The supervisors name is Mrs.G. I am not the only student that has not found a job or the school has not help find a job, i fell the los angeles campus should be investigated for fraud because they are not doing what they advertise or promise you when you sing up for the loans or program. I still have to pay back money for a lone that has done me no good and i feel thats not far at all. Can you PLEASE do somthing about this matter. I feel i should not have to pay them back becaue if they would have told me that they couldnt help me find a job i would not have wasted my time going to school or getting a loan to do so.

American Career College Company Profile