Queens, NY

Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Allen School of Health Sciences

For more than 60 years, the Allen School of Health Sciences has assisted and trained thousands of people for their new careers in health care. The company's goal is for office to meet clinic, giving students an opportunity to work with medical professionals in a physician's office, clinic or hospital. The school's training courses are designed to provide students with the skills needed to be successful, and its accelerated program can be completed in less than a year.

Pros

• Accredited program
  • Multiple campuses
  • Aid available
  • Accelerated timeline

Cons

• May be expensive
  • No lodging
  • Application fee

Bottom Line

Allen School of Health Sciences offers accredited online training programs for medical assistants and nursing assistants. The programs don’t include lodging and can be pricey, but financial aid and accelerated tracks are available.

Allen School of Health Sciences Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allen School of Health Sciences?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allen School of Health Sciences?

Original review: May 15, 2022

Since I saw that the Allen School wasn't like college, because I didn't want to go to college either, it was a better option for me and I chose to sign up with them. It was quick. Everything was easy. I'm a virtual learner. I like to be taught in person. I want to be able to go to class. But we only go to school once and it's on Mondays for now, and the rest of the days are virtual. But the learning is good. The teachers help me and they work with me very well. And if I need help with anything, I can reach out to them and they will help me in the class. So, they take a moment to explain something to me so I will understand. It has been good, so far.

Original review: May 14, 2022

It's only my fourth week with Allen School, but it's been nice. It has its days like a teacher would get frustrated because students are not paying attention. It causes aggravation and then, the lesson would be stopped for a minute, but then it goes on. One of my professors takes her time and helps me. She goes over everything and answers every question. She doesn't single anybody out. Going to Allen School is a lot of work. You got to put in the work to get where you want to be. You have to want to do it. Just don't go and do it because you want to do it like you have to.

Original review: May 13, 2022

When I was there at the Allen School, it was a good experience. I have a six-month-old son. And my childcare is on and off. It never affected my school, but it affected my work. So I found a better school that offered daycare. And I wanted to go to another school that is four years. Something that is more secure for me. The majority of my teachers were nice. I like all of them. They were understanding. They came into consideration with a lot of things. And I passed all my classes. So, they were a huge help.

I understand that the program is so you can get your degree faster. But when it comes to people hiring you, they want you to have a year or two years. So, Allen School should figure out a way with their program to equivalent to something like that. So people can find out when they graduate. Because that was another concern that I had. That was why I started looking at other schools. But before I went to school last month, I never thought I would ever come back when I graduated. Or after I had a baby. I was never big on school in high school. So just to go for a month and to see, “Man, this is what I've been missing out on for the year I was out of school.” I really enjoyed it.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I just started with Allen School and it’s going good. I like how they welcomed me and made me feel like family. They like to help around and engage with the students, and I appreciate that they take their time to teach everyone and give the maximum help that everybody needs, because not everybody learns at the same pace. I love the school. I moved into the Bronx and I'm willing to travel all the way to Brooklyn to go to that school, because that's how good it is. I will travel even if I was anywhere else because I haven't seen in no other school the benefits that Allen School of Health Sciences offers. It’s accommodating and the place is also very clean compared to other schools. They like to communicate with you and treat you as adults, which we are. There are other people that come from high school. So, they give you the respect that you deserve.

Original review: April 29, 2022

The enrollment with Allen School was easy and the only thing that gave me a little issue was my financial aid, but everything fell into place eventually. I got a good counselor, Shaina. She’s literally the best. I talk to her like she’s my best friend and even when I did financial aid, they explained to me my best options. I was supposed to start from February but with my whole financial aid option, they explained to me the best time for me to start was around April, which was what I did. I waited a month and a half and we got started, and everything's been so good so far.

The teachers I've had so far do their best to explain things to us and let us know what we need. We have a lady that works there who sends out emails. She loves to know what's going on. Everyone is doing their job to help us. I would recommend Allen School. It's still just like college. The only difference is it's just one study as opposed to it being different studies. It makes me feel like an adult in a way because the goal that I'm going towards is that big-girl job. So, it makes me put myself in a position where I have to think and move a certain type of way, because this is an adult job that I'm going for.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Allen School is good. I'm in the first module right now and the instructors could be a little bit better, but they're alright. I just wish they wouldn't take so much time on attendance. There are 40 people in our class and we waste half the class doing attendance and little questions that don't have anything to do with anything. And we only have a little bit amount of time to learn everything that we need to learn. It’s annoying.

One of my teachers took 30 points off of my homework because I didn't write it exactly how he wrote the answers. I wrote the answers in my own words but I got the answers from the stuff that he gave us. He left me with 20 points making my stuff go down. I didn't like that at all and I've been upset about that. The teachers need to take some trainings on not messing up people’s grades. Also, my English teacher gets on my nerves because I don't understand how you're an English teacher and you stress the important factors of pronunciation, but then you pronounce my name wrong. But other than that, they’re great.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Allen School made the enrollment easy by giving me the list of documents I needed. The learning experience is pleasant and the professors are good. They teach their classes in a way we get to ask questions, pick up where we left off and make sure that we get assignments. I took an anatomy class and we’re learning the terminology and how to say medical terms and the procedures as well as how there are certain guidelines that we got to follow and certain rules that are mandatory to keep your job as a nursing assistant.

Original review: April 19, 2022

The experience with Allen School has been good but they can improve a little bit more on their respect and stop always trying to talk to us like we’re small children. A lot of us are fully grown adults with children of our own. There's a little bit of frustration on both ends because the teachers are moving fast because of the fast-paced program. However, some students struggle to keep up sometimes. I'm just trying to buckle down and stay focused.

Original review: March 24, 2022

Allen School was very inviting and comforting. Everybody gets along really well. I felt really comfortable there really fast. My professors were really good. They make sure that you understand everything that's going on. If not, they'll give you extra help. They're very thorough. Overall, I've never had any problems with Allen School throughout the whole course of my school.

Original review: March 18, 2022

The school is amazing. They were wonderful working with me. When it comes down to their teaching technique online or in the classroom, they're fine.

Original review: March 6, 2022

Allen School was one of the schools that was in the area that had a medical assistant program. I wrote to the school and less than half an hour later, someone called me back. They provided me with information about the school, like the classes and they asked me a lot of questions about myself such as what motivated me to be interested. They wanted to know whether or not this was something I was interested in doing and whether or not I could see myself being a medical assistant. That took place on a Thursday and by the Monday, I was starting classes. It was really fast.

I like that Allen offers night classes. I have no problems with the instruction or the professors. They reach out. I'm in module four now and I have nine weeks less of the modules before I do the internship. If you're looking to enroll, you have to have good time management skills to be able to get your things done on time because I noticed a lot of people have issues with getting the homework done on time or staying on task.

Original review: March 5, 2022

Allen has a nine-month nursing program which is not that long and I chose the right school when I went with them because I'm willing to go back. I tried two other schools before them and it didn't work out. Learning at Allen was great. Sometimes, I didn't understand a couple of things only because I have to get used to online. Other than that, everything they do is understandable and if you need help, they have a lot of sources that help and explain.

Original review: March 4, 2022

They were very helpful, whether it was the counselor or the financial aid counselor. They were all very supportive. When something was not understood, they would help you out. My mom and I would go in the school, and they would make things clear for us of what we needed and what we needed to do. If anything, they would do it for us. If you want to get a taste of what the medical field is like without having to risk in college, try a program like the Allen School. There are also other things that they're willing to help you with if you feel like you can't cover tuition. If you feel like there's no way and you don't know how to enroll in it, they help you with that too.

Original review: March 3, 2022

I'm learning new things every day. Everybody is helpful. Enrollment was easy. They gave me information that I needed and helped me every step of the way.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

Allen School was cool and the way they worked with the students was fast. I liked everybody. I was attending for medical assistance but I'm not attending any more. I have found something else, which is better and convenient for me. Allen School was great. They help you and I never had a problem with them in there so I will recommend it to anybody.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

The instructors explain everything and if you don’t understand, they schedule a one-on-one time so that they can help you in what you’re not good in. People should not hesitate and just do it. Allen School is helpful and the advisers are there for you any time you feel unsure.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2022

The Allen School was very supportive and encouraging. The teachers are very thorough.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

The enrollment rep at Allen School was really helpful. But, sometimes I couldn't really understand the teachers. One lady teacher was Guyanese. I understand her because my family's Guyanese. But if you're teaching different kinds of people, you should have a teacher that when they're talking, it's a little clearer or easy for everyone to understand, not just, “Oh, because I came from the same country, I understand this person.”

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I spoke with Venetia, the rep. She invited me to a Zoom where there were a couple of slideshows and other students, talking about the programs that they offered. It was 1, 2, 3. She gave me the information I would need and offered me information regarding financial aid, and if I was comfortable with the prices and making it work. I had to wait a couple of weeks just for orientation. But the enrollment was so quick that I couldn’t believe it.

I've only missed one class yesterday because of my voice. It’s not too fast paced as long as you're managing your time. It's all about time management. Other than that, as long as you're submitting assignments and following the courses, you'll be okay. It’s straightforward. Allen School understands that everyone's in different lanes in life and a lot of the teachers are understanding and take their time to get to know you. This program is nine months out of your life, and it sets you up for so many opportunities. I wish that it was closer but other than that, it’s great.

The professors are super down to earth and you have people from all walks of life. So they get to help you with their experiences. Allen School is a melting pot and there's a lot of diversity. I felt comfortable talking to people and they’re so easy to talk to. They’re good people. This is their calling in life and they want to help other people progress. I love Allen School. It’s a village. You hear other stories and you think you’re the only one going through something, and you’re not.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

Allen School was helpful and I was impressed. I was nervous but the teachers supported me in every step. Everything is good. But sometimes, every module is the same. Also, if every exam is on a fixed day, it will be very helpful for the students.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

The teachers and staff are great. It's a good learning environment. The teachers are helpful with understanding and any questions that I have with any of the staff. So that's a good thing that I enjoy about the school. I worked with DJ and she was excellent. She explained everything to me very well and to this day, if I need anything, I can still call her. She would always try to get on anything that I need. So that was good. The enrollment process was really, really quick. They did tell me that they are very selective with the students that they choose. But I don't think that's the case. It gets distracting with some of the other students that are not willing to do what they want to become a medical assistant, do all the training, and do what it takes to work in the medical field. Also, the internship is going to be super long. I would wish that it wasn't as long as it is.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

If you want to start off into medical service, the Allen School is a good school to start off with. Because from there, you can do anything else. This is the first step. The instructors are good. Everything they teach is something new for me. It's a good experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

Allen School is very good. Teachers are willing to help. They do their best to make sure that you retain the information. The cost was a bit much, but considering that you have to do clinical and there are a lot of people who are in the medical field there, I'm pretty sure they need to get paid as well.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

If they would have told us about the reschedule for classes when they have holidays, that would have been better. School is usually 5:30 to 10:30. But when they have holidays, they want you to start class at 3:30pm. I never knew that before. They start early and I’m at work. Other than that, the materials are great. It’s the best school. They have great teachers, and they’re willing to teach you.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

I'm learning what I need to learn and I can't wait to get to the hands-on part. You can learn about so much through a computer and listening to somebody just showing pictures and videos. But I love the teachers. They make the homework seem so simple. They don't make whatever they're teaching us seem frustrating at all. The fact that COVID is going on, and then when I signed up, you only come in one day. I have to cope with it because this is a good career and I see myself furthering my education in this field. I felt like Allen School could help. I like the school though. There's nothing bad about the school. But I like to move fast. So I'm rushing.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

I liked that Allen School's program was a shorter timeframe. Also, the teachers teach very well. They send the slides personally. So if I have any questions, I can re-go through it. If I didn't understand something, instead of constantly interrupting the class, I can always look back and everything is there for me to know. I've learned a lot. However, the cost is too much and it's ridiculous because I don't understand why we still have to come out of pocket for more money in financial aid. I'm poor, so I know financial aid is supposed to cover it all. Allen School is a good school, but know you're going to come out of your pocket.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

The Allen School is a good school. It's both online and in-person, and hands-on as well. I'm sure you will like it. The professors are great teachers.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Enrolling was quick. Also, my learning experience is good. The teachers are great. They give a lot of information and are very hands-on. The short program worked better for me because I have a daughter and a job.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

My experience is very good. It's very informing. The teachers don't go too fast with the material. They also offer help after school. They always made sure to offer that because some people get backtracked or get left behind between some information. In the hands-on part, we usually go once a week in-person, and that's very helpful because I wouldn't have made it this far if we were just online all day. We can have more days in-person because I can get distracted easily at home. Sometimes I feel like I don't really get what I'm paying for simply because of my preference about the in-person stuff. Besides that, it's okay for the price.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

The person that I dealt with during the enrollment was very nice. It was such a warm welcome. He broke down things to me, how the program goes, how long it is, and how they are all hands-on. I was telling him I was looking for something hands-on, and he told me the school was perfect for me. I'm used to a teacher being unorganized but the teachers at Allen School were organized. I was able to keep up. I like the professors. They're very attentive. They don't leave anyone out. They don't go past anybody's questions. They're gonna answer the question. It was a good experience.

Allen School of Health Sciences Company Information