Call toll free
4.62/5

Queens, NY

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 56 years the Allen School of Health Sciences has been helping people just like you train for a career in health care. We use our strength and competitive edge in health care career training to make YOU our next success story! We stick with health care because it’s what we know, and we’re good at it. We hold the tools you need to complete your education FAST.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

476 Allen School Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I wanted to go somewhere in the nursing field but I couldn't really decide if I wanted to commit to going as far as a community college or a college per se to do the full four years. I wanted to experience it in a way that it wouldn't be too overwhelming for me. I was told that it's a nine-month program and once I got to walk around and I knew how everything was, I decided I should go to Allen School.

The enrollment was very easy. They gave me an appointment to come in and to meet with the adviser and once I did, she gave me a tour of the school. She let me know the process and what sort of careers I can get out of it. She also gave me quite a bit of information which I felt was good enough for me to join the team. So the same day, I gave them my registration fee, got my uniform and my own orientation date.

The learning experience has been great so far and I appreciate it. At first, I didn't know some of the stuff but when I was out and about and heard certain things, I was like, "Hey, I learned that. I remember that. I thought I didn't know that." They are also sending us on an externship so we wouldn't go in just book-ready but we'll be more hands-on-ready so we can do the things needed.

The professors seem to appreciate what they do and they like teaching and giving all this information. A lot of them also give stuff that one needs to pursue the career further if they see that light in a person. A couple of teachers told me that I was doing good and that I should keep pushing afterwards and become an RN. I also like the fact that there are a lot of things for us to do outside the campus and events like breast cancer awareness, the Toys for Tots, and going to the nursing homes.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I was desperate and wanted to go for CNA. I saw middle-aged people with blue uniforms and I asked them what they were doing with CNA classes. They said they were doing medical assistance, but that they think that they have a facility that I should go check out. I ended up going and checked Allen School out and I wasn't really convinced at first. So, I didn't really stay and didn't give in my admission for the $100. But then, I went back and then I talked to a different person. They broke it down and made it more detailed. Since that originally was what I wanted to do, I decided to go through with it. The enrollment was kinda difficult because I had something wrong with my financial aid. When I went in, I thought that they would go halfway at least with me to help me in resolve the problem but I ended up doing it by myself. But it still worked out.

There's a lot of things that I would rather be better, though. For example, the classroom setting. Some of us are big and sometimes, the seats are hard to sit on. And the other day, we were practicing with the crutches and the crutches were in bad condition. This whole school just needs a renovation and better quality with the uniforms. Also, they should have more than one teacher in the classroom. With some people, they need their one-on-one and sometimes, the professor can't really do that or doesn't feel like doing it. But, overall, it's good because once you do a whole week, the teachers tell you where you stand, what you need, and what you're missing. The structure is put up well.

My classmates and I write suggestions and we put it in a box. But they don't really pay attention to stuff like that. They could try to go halfway and try to help whoever it is no matter how tough or annoying the situation might be. I know some situations can be frustrating to certain people. But a job is a job. They're there to help us and we're here to help them because most of us are paying out of pocket. And we want something good to come out of it.

Other than that, my experience so far has been good. The teachers are helpful and they care about my education. They try to work with me and try to help me with anything that I need and anything that is required. And they push me, too. They're good people. Especially with my class, in particular, it feels like family because all of us get along. We help each other out and look after one another. We explain to each other different things that we don't understand. Also, I really enjoy the anatomy and administrative classes. It's easy and if I didn't understand something, they would try to explain it to me in a different way which is good.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I wanted to get into a nursing program. When I checked out York College, I needed to have credits to schooling and seeing that I was not schooled there, it was not possible. When I called the administrator for Phillips School, she told me about Allen School of Health Sciences in Brooklyn but I live in Queens and when I went online, I noticed that there was one in Queens. There was also one in Arizona. Then I found out that my friend was attending Allen and was on her fourth module. I also met Cathy and she was amazing. We went on the internet and she showed me the scope of the advancement of the common MMA and that over the next few years, certain things like OPN will be phased out because the medical assistant is now being trained to do a wider vast of things than an OPN was trained to do.

After we did that, I decided to attend Allen School. My plan is after I'm done with Allen, I will see if I can get into the nursing program at York or maybe after obtaining a job in a hospital or a clinic, they would be able to send me to a nursing school. I also went to their financial aid department and they were great as well. I paid my enrollment fee, bought my uniform, and I was in a class on July the 2nd. I go to a night school and there is a big difference in the night structure from the day structure. It's very quiet, very laid back, and smooth going.

Allen School's teachers are very attentive to us and they do whatever it takes to make sure that we understand exactly what it is that they want us to learn. If we didn’t understand, they made sure that it would be put in layman's terms that even the simplest of person would understand. The teachers are excellent. One of them is a doctor and he's great at what he does. Many of the teachers are actual physicians or were physicians and they’re not just teaching theoretically. They can impart to us the practicality of it and that makes it easier for everyone to understand. Everyone is on time and always present, too. I've recommended Allen School to two people.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I was looking for a good Medical Assistant program and I I filled out some questions on Instagram. Allen School called me and I set up an interview and spoke with one of the ladies. They accepted me to be a part of their program and I put down a down payment and I enrolled in the following semester. Allen School is closest to my house and it's a good school. They give a lot of support. They also give financial aids and grants but I didn’t apply for that.

I'm into my second now and every semester is different. Last semester, I did four classes and this semester is three. It depends on the hours but it's good. It's a lot of one-on-one. My class is a class of 12, so it's not too small and I like it better because I'm the type of person where I like to be able to answer questions and ask questions. I developed a relationship with all of my classmates also, so it's easy with studying. The professors are all the best and I love them. They make it more personal and not really too school-like. So, when it comes to helping us, they get to know us personally and they get to know about our life and how we’re doing and what situations we’re going through that might affect us from not being able to finish a work and they work with us on that.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was googling different medical assisting programs, and Allen School was one of the top schools that were popping up on the lists on the internet. When I went to Allen School, I was just looking to see what the school was about. I wasn’t really set on going to Allen School because I had two other schools that I was gonna check out. But after speaking to Gabby, she made me feel like Allen School was the right school for me.

She was very welcoming and so happy to speak to me. She was encouraging me because I explained to her that when I was in school, I started off as a nursing major, but the science classes were really hard for me, and I ended up dropping them. So, she was explaining to me that Allen School is not the same as a regular college or university where the science classes are broken down. The teachers are there to help and they’ll know my name. She was bragging on the entire program to me, and it made me feel confident like I can take the science courses.

The enrollment went smoothly. And then when I got to module 1, I was a little bit nervous because I was mostly worried about the anatomy and physiology classes. But I really loved my professor, and so that first term, I got a 4.0. So far, I've liked all of my professors. They know my name, so when I come for help, it's not like they're just speaking to a stranger. Also, they're all very helpful. I feel like I can talk to them. I've definitely stayed back a few times where I was confused on a subject and topic that we were learning, and they were there to help me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allen School of Health Sciences?

Original review: June 11, 2019

I had a good experience enrolling with Allen School. I liked the tour and how the school seemed very professional. I went with them and thus far, I'm learning a lot compared to the medical school that I was going to before. I’ve been passing all my tests and handing in my assignments on time. The teachers definitely seem like they care about our education.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I’m going to Allen School now and my experience has been good. It’s challenging but the key to being successful is networking, finding other students and helping each other. There is one or two teachers that aren’t easy to understand. But for the most part, some of the teachers are pretty cool. I also like the way the courses are set up. It’s a little bit different.

Original review: June 9, 2019

The enrollment process at Allen School was fairly easy and welcoming. I chose it because of its years and history in the medical assisting field. My program advisor, Ms. Sandra, was very helpful and informative. My mother and I came up there, and I was in for orientation three days after. So far, it's been going well. The teachers are very informative and the classes are great. I've passed every test I've taken so far. Studying is great and I would recommend Allen School.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I chose to go with this school because of the environment that I was introduced to and I'm glad I went for my interview before I signed up. I took medical assistant classes and the program was pretty strategic. The teachers at Allen School are also very caring. They assist you with whatever you need.

Original review: June 7, 2019

The school that I originally started with is no longer doing the certificate. So I had tried this before but due to personal issues, I had to stop. They’re now doing college but I was just looking for somewhere I can get a certificate to find a job more quickly. I looked up websites for medical assistant programs and I found Allen School's website. The person that I spoke with and who helped me enroll was perfect. She explained everything and made me feel that I was making the right decision. Now, I’m just looking forward to completing the program. So far, the experience has been good. What the professors are teaching is a lot to take in but if you’re committed, you’ll get it done. They're there to teach us and that’s what we’re doing. We’re learning.

Original review: June 5, 2019

A friend told me about Allen School and the program was good and so was the length of the time. I had a little bit of misinformation but other than that, enrolling wasn't difficult at all. I walked in there Tuesday, and I walked out in my scrubs. The learning experience is pretty easy and I like it. The professors are professional too. I would recommend Allen School to a friend.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I wanted to do something with my life and because of most of my family, I wanted to get started working in a medical field. My goal was to become an RN but I wanted to start with being a medical assistant to be sure that that was the correct field for me. The enrollment at Allen School was the quickest enrollment process I’ve ever had. It was really good and my advisor was really amazing. She was hands-on and she walked me through the process step-by-step. She also explained the school and the history. I did the orientation and everything happened within two hours.

The professors are really great too. Most teachers don’t really care of the students’ grasp of information. But the professors at Allen School really care. They gave us their emails in case we had any questions. I felt like they were there for us versus the money. On my first month, I had this teacher for Physiology and Anatomy and I was so fascinated with the way that he taught. The learning experience was was amazing. I would recommend Allen School to everybody who's trying to start a career and have kids because it really has been issue for me. I’ve never thought that I would be able to achieve something like this.

Original review: May 31, 2019

Allen School is trying to give all the best that they can. Sometimes, they’ll take their time to teach most of the students, especially me. I’m enjoying the lecture and everything's going smoothly now. Everything was easy.

Original review: May 30, 2019

My god-sister and my aunt went to Allen School. I enrolled and the process is easy. If they need extra documents, all they ask you to do is bring it in. They work with you very well. I learned a lot even within the internship. We learned book work, but I love the hands-on part. It was easy to grasp. The professors are all good and I had a good experience. They help you with anything, whether it’s financial aid or even things that you got going on in your personal life. They are very understandable. As long as you want it, they would want the same thing for yourself. They will push you to get where you need to be.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I looked up a different school. I want to become an ultrasound technician and found this program at Allen School. It’s shorter. At least I know if I wanna be in the medical field or not because I’ll have the experience. I have to start from somewhere. What made me really wanna start coming to the program is when I spoke to Lina. Before meeting her, she just had so much faith in me, so it just made me wanted to know who she was over the phone. I went to go see her, and spoke to her. She made me want to join the program even more.

Overall, I love Allen school. They’re very helpful. I have a problem with the Anatomy class. I have a good teacher but he has so much to teach in a little bit of time, and so are my other teachers. But you could just tell that they’re on top of us, so I like that. What I’m about to start doing is coming in a hour early so I could do tutoring from 4:30, and then start my regular class at 5:30. I can’t afford to fail Anatomy because I don’t wanna take the classes over. That would push me back. I love everybody that’s there. I feel like the teachers, the counselors and everybody else pushes you.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I already started with Allen School two weeks and within a short period of time, I get to learn so much. I like everything. It's well-coordinated and well-organized. And my lecturers and my learning experience has been great. My supervisor, Sandra, really made everything easy for me. I would like to recommend Allen to as many friends as I can.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I’m doing very well with Allen School. It was very close to where I live and I didn’t have to do so much walking and travelling. The enrollment process was very smooth. The people were very helpful and they’re very straightforward with what we have to learn and what we have to do. The counselors were great.

Original review: May 21, 2019

When I went for an interview at Allen School of Health Sciences, I got to talk to some students that were recently there as well as college graduates. It felt like they have their stuff together. That's what I wanted so I went there. Enrolling at Allen was a great experience and I couldn't ask for anything better. Their reps explained the classes and the kit that I was gonna have. However, I have a problem with financial aid. I didn't understand them the last time. The lady didn’t have another way of explaining it. Still, the learning experience at Allen was really good. We went through everything in the book. Since I'm more of a hands-on person, the math courses were the best for me. The professors I had were all great tutors and I felt like I had a really good bond with them.

Original review: May 17, 2019

My uncle and aunt had done the Nursing Assistant course at Allen and they told us about it. My brothers and I checked it out and I ended up loving the place. I felt so welcome, so I gave it a shot and I wasn't disappointed. I took the medical assistant program, and the rep enrolled me and she clarified everything. She was nice and pleasant. Also, the staff is really caring. If you need to speak to someone, they stay and help you. Even if they're on lunch, they take time off and speak to you. I’m proud to be from Allen. It's one of the best schools I've ever been to.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I liked how the program at Allen School was very interpersonal. The classes weren't too big, so we got personal time with the instructor. However, I didn't like how towards the end of my program, Allen School wasn't as organized as I would have liked them to be. We didn't get our mock trial until my entire model went to the higher-ups to fight for our mock trial. We shouldn't have to fight for something that we were expected get regardless. Also, I'm mostly confused as to why we have to wait 30 days after graduation to get our certificate. Despite this issue, my time at Allen School was good and I learned a lot. The internship program was good too.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I was looking through the net and I saw Allen School. I called and got an appointment to see them. I went there and my experience at the school was great. Everything there was okay.

Original review: May 11, 2019

My experience at Allen School wasn't what I wanted it to be. They have really good staff, but I felt like there wasn't anything that they showed me in the video. I didn't get certified till a week before I left the school, and I didn't draw blood till the last week of school. Sometimes they didn't even have equipment, which was very frustrating when we were doing EKG or drawing blood. Also, I felt like the material that they have is old. It needs to be updated because in my internship in the medical field now, it's nothing like what they taught me. They need to show more of how to deal with certain situations instead of teaching us how to diagnose. They have to teach us how to deal with situations where there are patients that are gonna be complaining. They're too focused on books and reading and learning about different diseases. It was way too expensive for nothing. It needs to be organized as well.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I wanted to be in the medical field and I found that Allen School was the cheapest. Plus the duration is only nine months which is not that long. The courses were easy in some parts because they offered a lot of help. It was also hard because they have so much homework to do and there are exams every week. Still, the teachers were very good and professional. They’re always smiling and they welcome you when you come. Every time I had problem, they always found a solution for me. Also, the student accounts are really helpful. If you’re going through some problems with money, they work with you until you get it and then you give it, and I really appreciate that. I learned a lot and my experience helped me during my internship. I've already recommended the school to five of my friends.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Allen School ended up calling me the same day when I was online looking for jobs. I went to the school and I liked the atmosphere. The people were friendly and the staff was helpful. They answered all the questions I had and I had no doubt that I wanted to go to the school. After going through Allen, I find that they should improve their internship program. Some of the intern coordinators should go out to the intern sites to see where they are placing the interns. Internship was the worst experience I had there because they sent students to places where they know the students weren't gonna be hired. We felt we were set up for failure. They sent us to rundown places and in those places, the staff was not respectable to me. Still, everything was good at Allen School.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I love Allen School. Some instructors were really good. They were willing to help if you did not understand the material. Some of them, though, were lazy. There was a professor that I had, and he just made us copy slides. He was not explaining the information. He did not even do a review or focus with us on what was gonna be on the test. There was too many information that overflew in the drain, and when it came to the test, it was only part of the slides. We have to take a test every week, which is a good thing. But, if he is not explaining the material, how does he expect us to do well on the test?

Original review: April 18, 2019

Allen School has a small environment that really gets your attention. You also get to spend quality time with the teachers if you need help. They teach the material and describe things in a way for you to understand it. It’s not easy but you get the support that you need. They ask if you need any help and everyone is very nice and helpful. When I was getting enrolled, they did an interview and they talked to me about what it’s like. Then they gave me a tour around the campus. Overall, it’s a good experience and I'm greatly satisfied. I would recommend them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

My mom graduated from Allen School 10 years ago and as I was thinking about joining, she told me that she really liked the school. So I decided to come to the same one she did and the person who assisted me with the enrollment was really good. He explained to me step-by-step and to make sure if this is what I really wanted. It was a good experience. Since then, I’ve taken Microsoft, keyboarding, endo classes and anatomy. Right now, we’re doing the skeleton system with EKG and we’re learning about the urinary system. I’m still here and I’m still learning so I like it. It’s really good. I’m enjoying it and I’m really excited.

The professors are really good at explaining. They give you the information that you need at the moment and that is the most important. But if they need to give you a little extra, they will. There is even a certain day where before we do the test, we do a review. And with the type of classmates that I have, we help each other. This is the only place where I’ve been able to find that. In anywhere else, people don’t really wanna help you. But here in the Allen School, they do.

Original review: March 15, 2019

My experience with Allen School was good. I applied and they called me. When I came there the staff were really nice. They explained everything to make me understand. The professors were really good. I really understood everything they said and what they did in class.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I did my research on the schools that I wanted to go to. I was looking on the internet, and I know people who went to Allen School many years ago and they told me about it. And because it was close to me, I looked into it. When I came in, I had a great advisor. That made me decide that it is what I wanted and it is the school I wanted. Enrolling was okay but they could explain more about the financial aid part of it because it was my first time taking out a loan. So, I didn’t really know too much about it, and I didn’t have that much information about it. Other than that, I love the classes. I love coming here every day. I love it. I meet a lot of good people, nice people so I love it.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was looking on the internet from school and Allen's number popped up because I was looking for a nursing school. Everything went well during enrollment. I just walked in and then they called me, then they got back with me and the person took care of me. The professors are doing a good job. However, they don’t have hot water. Also, sometimes it's cold and sometimes it's too hot in some rooms, so they don’t have a balance with the temperature. Plus some computers are not working properly. You gotta wait until your co-students finish for you to do something. Overall I'm satisfied because I don’t worry about my career, I worry about what I come to learn. I've recommended them to my friends and family.

Allen School Company Information