Queens, NY

Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Allen School of Health Sciences

For more than 60 years, the Allen School of Health Sciences has assisted and trained thousands of people for their new careers in health care. The company's goal is for office to meet clinic, giving students an opportunity to work with medical professionals in a physician's office, clinic or hospital. The school's training courses are designed to provide students with the skills needed to be successful, and its accelerated program can be completed in less than a year.

Pros

• Accredited program
  • Multiple campuses
  • Aid available
  • Accelerated timeline

Cons

• May be expensive
  • No lodging
  • Application fee

Bottom Line

Allen School of Health Sciences offers accredited online training programs for medical assistants and nursing assistants. The programs don’t include lodging and can be pricey, but financial aid and accelerated tracks are available.

Top Allen School of Health Sciences Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allen School of Health Sciences?

Verified

Everybody was helpful and hands-on when I enrolled at Allen School and the learning experience was great. We have online and in-person so it’s good but I wish that it was fully in...

Verified

It's wonderful with Allen School. The classes are flexible. I also applied for financial aid and that was easy. I would definitely recommend Allen School. It's a very interesting ...

What is Allen School of Health Sciences?

Allen School of Health Sciences is a nationally accredited medical assistant and nursing assistant (CNA) training facility with campuses in New York and Arizona and online education options. The school has been around since 1961, and it offers an accelerated program schedule (typically nine months) for full-time students seeking certification for medical assistant and nursing assistant careers.

Allen School of Health Sciences requirements

Allen School of Health Sciences requires that students have a high school or a GED diploma. To enroll, you must also be at least 17 years old and meet state standard minimum requirements for admission. Students also have to complete an interview with the admissions department, submit proof of graduation, pay a registration fee and attend a mandatory orientation session as part of registration. The interview is meant to assess the applicant’s motivation and expectations for the program. CNA students must also receive at least an 11 on the Wonderlic exam.

To apply, students can either fill out the online request form, chat with a representative online or call the school directly. You also have to pay an application fee — it's $100 for New York campuses and $25 for the Phoenix location.

Allen School of Health Sciences cost

Allen School of Health Sciences costs about $17,634 (tuition and fees) in New York for its medical assistant program and about $15,321 for the same in its Phoenix location. The CNA program, which takes only 130 hours, costs about $1,700. It’s unclear how its online program costs compare to the price of its campus-based education, however.

Allen School of Health Sciences estimates that students will spend an additional $600 on books and supplies. Students also have to pay an application fee ($25 or $100). For those who can’t afford out-of-pocket costs, there is financial aid available. The admissions team can help navigate your options, which include federal student aid, grants, loans, scholarships and military benefits.

Due to the financial hardships that the coronavirus outbreak has caused, the Allen School of Health Sciences is temporarily waiving the requirements that payment of a registration fee is due prior to being considered for enrollment. The registration fee will be due upon the completion of the program.

Allen School of Health Sciences FAQ

How long is the Allen School medical assistant program?

Nine months for a full-time student, on average. It depends on how many hours you take and at what cadence, however.

Is the Allen School accredited?

Yes. The Allen School of Health Sciences is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education (COE). It’s also licensed by the New York State Education Department and the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.

Does Allen School of Health Sciences offer financial aid?

Yes. Its financial aid office helps students gain funding from federal, state, institutional and private sources. There are also scholarship programs available at its Phoenix location.

Where is Allen School of Health Sciences located?

There are three campuses: two in New York and one in Arizona. The New York campuses are in Brooklyn and Jamaica (Queens), and the Arizona location is in Phoenix.

Do we recommend Allen School of Health Sciences?

For students who want an accredited program for medical assistant or nursing assistant training, Allen School of Health Sciences is a good option. With three campuses to choose from in two states and online options, there’s a decent amount of flexibility in terms of location. Also, many full-time students can finish the program in just nine months. The pricing may be a bit expensive for some since it doesn’t include room and board or even a full year’s worth of education, but there are financial aid options available for most students.

Allen School of Health Sciences Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allen School of Health Sciences?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I was also looking to get CNA done, and I went to a place down the hillside and it was so crappy and I was like, "I'm not gonna pay my money to go to an ugly place like that." That was when I called up Allen School and I was sold. I find the staff most appealing. I love my lecturers. They always find the time to listen and explain. If there was anything we didn't understand, they would go through it back with us. If any students have any issues, then that's one of the main things you look forward to. One of the things I love most is the communication between lecturers and students. If there was a problem, they don't just say, "Go do it yourself," or, "Go figure it out." They were always there to help. My learning experiences are really amazing.

Even though I finished school, I can still call them up at any time and if I need help, they'll be there. The other day, I was getting trouble with applying to do the state board and I called up and I said, "I'm getting trouble with this website and I really need to do the scores because somebody is trying to help me to get into a hospital and I need that." He was like, "Come on in." He was busy but then, another lecturer came and she helped me. She took my phone to him while he was lecturing, he made sure everything was okay, and I was done. I'm getting my exam done next month. So, even though we're done with school, they're always there to help and that is something I greatly appreciate.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

I liked how welcome I felt when I spoke to the lady on the phone the first day and all the information they gave me. When I went in, I liked how friendly everybody was and how happy and welcoming everybody was even though they just met me and didn't know me for a long time. There was a lot of energy. I thought the enrollment process would be more stressful like college but it was smooth. I spoke to somebody on the phone most of the time and they kept calling to check up on me to make sure I was coming. Even the financial aid was easy.

The quality of professors is good. They are a bit strict but you can get that going into college. They explain the work and how it's to be done. We're not confused about what's going on. But I would like the learning process to be more in-person than just one day because I'm an in-person learner and I work better that way. But I do understand that because of COVID, it has to be online and they can't have so many people in the building. That's the only thing I would like to change as it does affect my learning. But as I get older, I have to work on it and adjust to what is not perfect for me.

Other than that, the program is well thought out. I'm only at the beginning of mod two. My first module was an introduction class and they took their time to teach us even though it was the basics. They went through everything so we could all understand. They never had a problem with us asking questions or they never made us feel the questions were dumb. The homework and assignments were very straightforward.

Original review: July 29, 2022

The enrollment experience was quick and easy. As soon as I looked on the website, I gave Allen School my information. They called me back within the same day. We went through with the explanation of the program itself, what cost and tuition. And we set up an appointment when I decided to go through with it. A lot of the things were easy to navigate. They give you a lot of explanation. Even before I had my actual classes, they gave a full-on explanation of how things would go. The professor gave a more of an explanation as to how the specific course would run. Some people don't do as well academically, so I could see how this program would be a lot easier for them. Allen School has people who are there to help you and not just give you a grade and you have to figure it out on your own.

I would prefer to be in person. It gives a lot more to focus. Question, sometimes you don't want to interrupt online. However, with the online courses, when we were having them on specific days, we were still able to ask our questions. The professor will stop and answer our questions. Or they may tell, “Just hold that thought. I'm getting to it.” The professor does let us know that they are attentive to your questions and things like that. Allen School is very supportive regarding making sure that their students would get it. They worked very hard with me. They are very accommodating. I went through some family issues where I had to take a leave of absence. And they made it so I didn't miss out much that I was able to catch up to reach my peers. So overall, the experience was worth it in comparison to another program that I started out with.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I was interested in a phlebotomy program. Allen School happened to call me and they offered that. And I liked the energy that was coming from the staff. The enrollment was almost like an interview, which I thought they're serious about who they're allowing into their school. It was more so, what was your goal? What do you want? What are you looking to gain out of this? That's what made me decide it might be a good environment for me.

The program itself was more complex because of the world we live in. They're trying to push people out as soon as possible. And it was hard. It was a lot of work compressed in a short period of time. But the teachers that are at the school did such a great job with that and makde sure that I was learning it the right way. Most of them taught it from a perspective of, I've done it. I was getting the hands-on training and the book work, but it's being taught in a manner of realistic. Everything is based off of, this is exactly what you're gonna do in the field and this is how you're gonna be taught. And they flow it in a way that I'm not gonna feel once I get out there that I don't understand what's going on. My experience was great there. I was able to apply everything that I learned at my internship.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I spoke with Venetia, the rep. She invited me to a Zoom where there were a couple of slideshows and other students, talking about the programs that they offered. It was 1, 2, 3. She gave me the information I would need and offered me information regarding financial aid, and if I was comfortable with the prices and making it work. I had to wait a couple of weeks just for orientation. But the enrollment was so quick that I couldn’t believe it.

I've only missed one class yesterday because of my voice. It’s not too fast paced as long as you're managing your time. It's all about time management. Other than that, as long as you're submitting assignments and following the courses, you'll be okay. It’s straightforward. Allen School understands that everyone's in different lanes in life and a lot of the teachers are understanding and take their time to get to know you. This program is nine months out of your life, and it sets you up for so many opportunities. I wish that it was closer but other than that, it’s great.

The professors are super down to earth and you have people from all walks of life. So they get to help you with their experiences. Allen School is a melting pot and there's a lot of diversity. I felt comfortable talking to people and they’re so easy to talk to. They’re good people. This is their calling in life and they want to help other people progress. I love Allen School. It’s a village. You hear other stories and you think you’re the only one going through something, and you’re not.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

Enrolling with Allen School was fairly easy and the staff there was really supportive and really helpful. The professors are very personable. They're easy to talk to, they are always willing to help, you can email them, and you can talk to them anytime you see them on campus. They're very helpful. The transition was just absolutely different, however, the staff and the professors make it so easy to succeed there. It's really hard to fail when everybody is so helpful and so supportive. I feel like it was the best program for me. It's really hard not to be successful when you have so much support from the class and the teachers.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

The enrollment process with Allen School was easy and not stressful. The quality of the education, so far, has been good. It's just that I don't understand the e-book. I'm taking Medical Assistance and it's a nine-month course. Graduation is September 15. I started on the 3rd of January. Give Allen School a try because the teachers are very nice. The same can be said about their staff. They're professional too.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

With the way Allen School's staff dealt with me and the motivation they gave me, I made a decision that I wasn't even ready to make. I was very glad about that. The classes are not bad. It's just that I would have liked a little more in-person classes instead of once a week and then online all the time. I’m old-fashioned and I think a lot of the students feel that way. We think that we should have a physical book in regard of just an online book. It’s not easy all the time to do a online book, and everybody is not online-savvy. I'm behind in my classes because, first, it took them forever to get the e-book. Then it was hard to find what you want in regard of a physical book. They could be a little bit more organized. So far, even with the first-year plan, I don't find that we have what we need. The Allen School I know years ago was not like that.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

I had a good experience during the enrollment. It was a good learning experience. But to me, it was different because we do online and I'm really not that focused. I focus more in person. So, in person, they explain everything very good.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

Enrolling with them was good. They explained everything to me before I signed off on anything.

Allen School of Health Sciences Company Information