4.58/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

For more than 55 years the Allen School of Health Sciences has been helping people just like you train for a career in health care. We use our strength and competitive edge in health care career training to make YOU our next success story! We stick with health care because it’s what we know, and we’re good at it. We hold the tools you need to complete your education FAST.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 14, 2017

357 Allen School Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I've seen a lot of schools and I was very indecisive of which one to choose. One day, I was in downtown Brooklyn and I heard the name Allen School before. I was school hunting the same day and had no intentions of registering. I just gave them a call to see what they were really made of. The very day I called them, I got an appointment for the next day. They were so supportive and encouraging in the way they spoke to me. I signed up that same day because I felt comfortable. I felt as if that was the right school for me.

Allen School is a great school. You get hands on experience. The staff is so devoted and kind. My learning experience is one that I'll always remember because, in my first semester, I was so nervous. I wanted to excel in every way possible. I would have support from the lecturers down to the staff members like front desk people, the human resources. The entire staff is always there that you could always ask somebody something and you'll be well-informed. I would have walked the hallways of Allen School of Health Sciences but it amazes me more how the staff, even though they may not be your primary lecturer, they're always there and they know you. They take time to know the students. You have that relationship that even if you're troubled in one area, you could always ask for help and they're always willing to help or advise you. They work with you.

The only B that I've had in that school was in my fourth month and it was in Anatomy. Everything since then, I'm always an A student. It comes with my hard work and the support of the staff. What I've learned from there, nobody can take away from me. Even when I moved on to the work site, I've benefited a lot from my hands on training. When you're done with the course, you're well-trained and you're well-informed, so there's no way you can stumble out unless you want to.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I wanted to get into the medical field so I went to Allen School. I got enrolled and it wasn't hard. I went there and they explained the process. I got to do an exam. Once I passed, they accepted me and they gave the necessary information to get to register. I enjoyed doing the program. I never regretted it. It was challenging but it was good. The instructors there explained themselves in detail. Everything that they taught us, we did on the internship and that was great. I would recommend it to anybody.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I researched Allen School of Health Sciences online. It was convenient for me because it was closer to my home and noticed that they have a high rate of employment. When it comes to enrolling, I didn’t have any problems. The teachers are awesome. They are understanding, willing to help you with any problems that I may have and offered tutoring. I’m currently on the honor roll and I’m very satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I was looking for an accelerated program in the medical field and I came across the Allen School. Enrollment was pretty quick and they made it seem like it was a very selective program but once I was in the program, I realized that they just take anybody. They were a little bit more on the pushy side to get you to come into the program. At the time, my son was a newborn so I was hesitant but they were pretty pushy about it, which I don't mind because I got over with it. I just feel like they made the program seem like something it really wasn't. They made it seem like they were affiliated with a lot of places like big hospitals to be able to do your internship.

I really wasn't 100% happy with the internship site that I had been matched up with. I was pretty open about traveling and my hours. I had told them I wanted to go to a dermatology or plastic surgery place but they just stuck me where they had an opening. I also feel like what we learned is pretty much what I've been doing in the field and I think a little bit more hands on would definitely help. The professors were easy to understand. They were hopeful but I just feel like there were some classes that were pointless and maybe we should have spent more time doing clinical aspects of the program.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Enrollment was great and easy. They explained everything to me and made me excited to start. If I have a problem, I would just go to a professor and they'd help me understand. They were very accessible. There's always room for improvement, but the professors did their best to accommodate every student. They tried to work with everybody and help them get the material. They also offered help with job placements, resumes and anything like that. I was fortunate enough to be hired from my internship site, which Allen School helped me get. I'm thankful for my good experience. I recommended a couple of people there. They're actually enrolled now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allen School of Health Sciences?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I wanted to pursue medical assistance and my friend told me they offer that at Allen School. The enrollment went fine and I didn’t have any issues. All of the teachers are great. They are always supporting every student and all of them helped me a lot. Whenever I have questions, they are always there to answer.

Original review: June 16, 2017

A good friend of mine's in the program in Allen School of Health Sciences so she taught me about it. I decided to hop on board as well. I am doing Medical Billing and Coding in Allen School. For the past six weeks, it’s been awesome and I’ll be beginning my second module next week. The materials were really good. We have our books online.

The people at Allen are so helpful. They hold my hand and guide me through every single thing, and reach out to me a lot to make sure that I'm in and out and that everything is all set up.The teachers do a good job each night, making sure that we understand everything that’s being taught and they’re very outstanding when it comes to that. They're really hands-on and they watch how we’re progressing. We also have advisers that call and check up on us to make sure we were up-to-date with our grades and our work. And if we need any tutoring, they’re there to help us out. Overall the experience has been really good. It’s something that one could get involved in. Everyone there is supportive and I'm loving it. I would recommend Allen School to anyone.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I was looking for employment and I got a phone call for employment. They asked me if I would like more information on furthering my education and they connected me with an adviser from the Allen School. The enrollment was freaking awesome. I wasn’t too sure on how grants worked but they explained everything to me in detail. I still didn’t get some of it and they connected me back. They explained to me again and they made sure I truly understood every single thing. I went with the Medical Billing Encoding program and the classes are really great. Also, the instructors are very helpful. They gave me their phone numbers and e-mail and I can contact them at any time. Then, we have our advisors who I can also call and contact anytime and they’ll get back to me really fast. I love it and it’s been a great experience so far. Everybody gives you a lot of information and they’re awesome people to work with. I’d recommend them to anybody.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I went to Allen School's Medical coding and billing program. It’s a good school and their enrollment was good too although it has a lot of paperwork. Nevertheless, their advisor was very helpful. It’s my first time to go on online classes and I’d be online for some hours so the first week was rough but I’m getting used to it now. My professors were good. So far, it’s only been one month since I started but it’s a good start.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I'm a trained nurse and I had an injury. I was no longer able to do the work that I was going to do so I thought about online school for a while and that sounded like the next best thing. From an online advertisement, Allen School seemed to have extra personal attention that the other schools were lacking so I went with them. Their enrollment was a very easy and comfortable process. My student adviser was very nice and let me know what kind of documentation I needed to provide. I sent it to them and they took care of the rest. I never imagined online learning would be that fun. It's not just sitting there staring at the computer screen, they give you access to fill in things.

Also, I like knowing that I have that support especially when I've been out of school for so long. They have multiple people that I can reach out to and they're really concerned with my success. The good teachers provided me with their email and phone number. It's more than I ever thought it would be because I was afraid of online learning at one point since I only did school the traditional way where there's a classroom, a professor, the lecture, and we can ask a question and contact them. This is the same exact way. There's nothing different even though it's online. I have all the support and I don't think that I could've fallen into a better fit. Overall, it's been a wonderful experience. I'd recommend Allen School to anyone.

Original review: June 5, 2017

My experience with Allen Schools of Health Sciences was great. It was hard but I overcame it. I have worked for over 20 years in the processing department. When I was unemployed, I was looking for work and everyone was saying that I have to be certified for what I already do. So I said I’d go in for the certification and do the billing encoding. It was very easy to navigate through their courses with the way they have their system set up. I can go in and when I'm on a page or program, everything is accessible right there for me.

My program adviser was Lil and she was very understanding. She answered every question that I asked and clarified a lot of things that I was skeptical about going back to school. She was very helpful, as well as Rodney. There was a time that I became frustrated because things were so new to me. Rodney called me back, spoke to me and calmed me down and that was the point in which I said, "Okay. I'm not going to give up." Their inspiration talk worked. Before they even started the classes, Rodney called me and went through the whole system. He told me how and where to enter the classroom and get the books. They were all very supportive for me to come in for the first time. But I noticed that they moved much faster in class when we’re doing the internet than in the classroom.

If I need to speak to the professor, I contact them and they will contact me back and it's pretty helpful. However, I just don’t like when I call them and I don’t get any type of response. Sometimes I’ll call when I have questions about assignments, and I don't get called back. But I’d love to recommend somebody to Allen School. I just finished the first semester and so far everything is working out. I’m waiting for the next semester to see if they are going to be just as helpful as the first professors that I had.

Original review: May 22, 2017

One of the staff members called me that Allen School have this program. I searched online and I became interested. It wasn’t easy getting enrolled but the representatives helped me a lot all the way through the day of the class. They answered my questions and made it easy for me to understand everything. I would recommend.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Allen School signed me up with them then I spoke with someone and everything I heard was exactly what I had been looking for. I came up with some documents that I hadn’t thought about. The learning experience was challenging. It made me think outside the box and about things I had not done recently. Then everybody was great and knowledgeable. If a student had the question then it would be answered right then that’s why I like the class. I’ve done other classes where it was more of a do-it-yourself at your own pace kind of thing and when I’m stuck, there was no one there. I send an email and three days later, I get an email back.

The only difficulty I had with was getting paper books because I’m more of a paper-in-hand type of person. We had the electronic book, which was different for me. I would use that sometimes. If I was having trouble trying to locate something in the book, I could go to the electronic book and pull it. When I started the Associate’s, I asked the master if I can get the paper books and they told me that I can. I found and got the books except one. So, I’m gonna have to wait until I come across that one book that I can’t find. But overall, I enjoyed it.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I was looking online for work-at-home jobs and college ads keep popping. I've already taken medical terminology and clerical before and I was thinking about what I can do. At first, I thought that it's too good to be true. There's no way I can learn medical coding and stay at home and work. I gotta have to work somewhere which was okay.

Then somebody called me from some company explaining how they try and help people with jobs to further their schooling. He told me that he's got three different schools and jobs on his list, and if I could give information, they would take my number and spread it out there. I kept getting call after call and I just kept hanging up. One day, I answered my phone and it was from Allen School. It was just wonderful and they were just so nice. Everything has been great. I only had a few technical problems on my computer. But other than that, it's been wonderful.

Their enrollment process was for a few weeks. They needed my information on different degrees and stuff. I kept my GI then I dropped out of school. I took my GED in 2012 and I went for medical and clerical in 2013. I also had to get a copy of my divorce papers and marriage license because I was once married. So, that was a three weeks worth, then the financial aid that was calling back twice a week. The learning experience was great too and everything has been so self-explanatory. They got a lot of videos that are for students and it goes step-by-step.

Then the professors were very relaxing. I love Stephanie and she's my favorite because she's so bubbly. She said that she's sorry as she always talks. But I love to have a professor like that and how she makes me feel comfortable. If there's dead silence, that's when there's more uncomfortable eerie feeling. She talks about her family life and her experiences even the one when she had her surgery and she started bleeding again. She left, she came back and we had fill-ins like two in one night. One was Alicia. They were wonderful. They make you feel welcome even like someone was there in school for 27 years. I like the fact that someone is always there. I can call and get hold of someone at any time.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I didn't want to be on campus to go to school and I wanted something that was all online. I called Allen School and they signed me up. Enrollment was easy. I'm only halfway through my class but so far it's going good. I really like the teachers.

Original review: March 30, 2017

Allen School was recommended to me by friends that attended there. The enrollment was very fast and easy. My professors were really nice to me. They helped me a lot, so I appreciate it and I’m really happy with it. I have completed the program, and I’ll be going to externship early. There are times they hire you in your externship but if they don't, the people at Allen School are willing to help me find a job. I'd recommend them.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I was looking for a job and doing an online application. One of the questions they asked me was if I'm interested in furthering my education and I said sure. So then Allen School called me and I liked what I heard. I also liked the way the program was laid out so I thought to give it a try. It's in a field that I'm interested in and I'm really glad I did it.

I especially like my health information management class and the professor was awesome. I like the way he teaches. He makes it fun so it's easy to learn when they do that. The other professor is good but she’s dry, a little harder to learn, and she stays pretty monotone. I wish she would open up a little bit as it seems she could be a lot of fun. We got her to open up a little bit every now and then. It's so much easier to learn if students enjoy the class and the participation. The teachers need to participate as well.

I'm still looking for work and once I get one, I'm hoping everything lines up so that it doesn't interfere with the classes as it's gonna be my biggest fear. The hours of the job that I'm most interested in would work because I would be off at five then I would be able to be home by 5:30 which is what I need so hopefully I get that one. I'm hoping everything continues for me as I am very interested in doing this. Eventually, I'm not gonna be hirable material out in the field but that doesn't mean I'm not hirable at home doing remote. And this is the type of job I can do remotely.

Original review: March 23, 2017

I needed something that I could be able to do from home and I like the health care field. The enrollment experience with Allen School was very easy. A lot of schools make the student fill out the financial aid by themselves, but Allen School pretty much did it for me and walked me through the steps so I don't have to be confused. The teachers are very good and take their time with the students to explain stuff. If you don't understand what's going on in the classroom, you can always call or email. If you email, they'll call you back and are willing to walk you through the steps so you'll understand what you're supposed to be doing in the classroom. Allen School should keep doing what they're doing. I've recommended them to somebody.

Original review: March 22, 2017

I have two kids and I'm trying to do something better for us. And since the Allen School offers online courses, which was what I was looking for, I decided to talk to them. I liked what I heard so I enrolled, and it was pretty easy. They were listening and understanding because I've been out of school for almost 25 years and they talked to me until I understood what they were saying. I'm not good with computers so it's taking me a minute to try to get the test on my computer, but the classes are great. I love the professors. They always ask us, “Do we get it? Do we understand?” If we don’t, they take their time to go back to it with us. My son is in middle school, and they don’t do all that. They’re like if you don’t get it the first time, that’s it. They don’t break it down so you can get it. But with the Allen School, they make sure you get it. They go over it with you to make sure you understand.

Even their tech support is awesome. They'd call me to make sure I'm okay and they help me out a lot. They'd show me stuff that I didn’t even know a computer could do. Overall I was glad that my friend recommended me to them because she also went to them and she loved it. I'd also recommend anybody to go to them. I just wish I had more time to spend and give them all my attention.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I was referred to Allen School by another school because my schedule wouldn't work with them due to my job. Allen School really helped me out a lot during enrollment, but it was bumpy because I was figuring out whether I was gonna be able to enroll or not. But I was able to enroll two weeks before class started because there were little changes at work. The communication was very clear. Everybody contacted me fairly and answered all of my questions. The professors are very insightful and they answered all the questions that I've asked. The course material is very comprehensive. The only difficult part is the student app. It needs to get worked on because sometimes even if you have a good connection, it kicks you out.

Original review: March 12, 2017

Allen School called me after I put in that I was interested in going back to school. The young lady Christine who called me sounded so peppy, was really good and nice. She made the enrollment process fairly easy and they were able to get me a partial grant for the financial. I'm out of work so I didn't have any money and they waived the financial until after I could get a job. They were pretty helpful and really good with me. The learning experience has been good, although it's different for me because I'm used to a classroom where the teacher stands in front and I sit in a table or desk and not the computer virtual stuff. The professors have been great, everybody's been good, and I really liked Dr. **.

Original review: March 4, 2017

I found Allen School online and they were the first one I came to. The adviser was absolutely helpful and knowledgeable. I'm doing well with my studies and the experience has been good.

Original review: March 3, 2017

I looked up Allen School online and the adviser that introduced me to the school talked to me and I gave her my situation. She then helped me pick out what type of classes I should be taking during the night or during the morning. That part was pretty enjoyable and good. I also enjoyed attending classes at Allen School.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Allen School said something good and convinced me to go back to school. All the professors I got were nice and they helped me with all that I wanted to ask them. It was a good experience going there and I'm having my internship now.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Enrolling at The Allen School was not easy for me because I was still in school, but they were able to work with me. Learning here is difficult at first, but I can work with it and I'm still here right now.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My experience attending Allen School is really good. The adviser was very helpful and knowledgeable. She forced me a little bit but I appreciate that she did ‘cause if not, I would have never gone to Allen. However in some of the classes, I feel like I already know everything that they’re teaching me. But it’s a really good school and I like it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I liked Allen School's flexible schedule. My adviser was really helpful during the enrollment process. I've been in the school since September and I'm really learning a lot. When I don't understand something, the professors are there to help me.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I've seen on Snapchat one of the girls attending Allen School. I've seen her snaps and asked her how was it going with the school and she said it was great and she loves it. So she made me an appointment with her counselor. Then I got to speak to his counselor and I got enrolled at Allen School. The counselor was very motivating. I probably wouldn’t have done it with Allen School if not because of him. Some of the professors are awesome and some are not so awesome. Some of them are very helpful. And anything that I needed, I can go to them and they will be able to help me out. I feel like they're very inviting. However, I have an issue with one particular teacher but it could be because of a language barrier.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I was looking to do a medical assistant program and came across the Allen School site. Then I went into the school directly and got more information. The enrollment process was simple and fast. I learned a lot while I was with them and the experience was very informative and had a lot of depth. The flexible schedule was okay. However, more effort should be placed in researching sites for students because they're giving students a lot of knowledge and they need to know that the sites are what they are expecting so that they can show their experience then or they can gain more experience. I expect to be in a good site, in a good medical facility. I am on the verge of going on an externship and I had to do a change of site because I wasn't too satisfied with it. That was my only problem.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I'm enjoying my experience with Allen School. The adviser is very helpful and he gave me a lot of advice on how the school was and how everything was going to be. The classes and the tour were also fun. The professors have that level of understanding that we all are different and have different ways that we learn. They do the best that they can if we need any help with the homework or if we don't understand something, we could always come to them and ask them questions.

Allen School Company Information