Queens, NY

Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Allen School of Health Sciences

For more than 60 years, the Allen School of Health Sciences has assisted and trained thousands of people for their new careers in health care. The company's goal is for office to meet clinic, giving students an opportunity to work with medical professionals in a physician's office, clinic or hospital. The school's training courses are designed to provide students with the skills needed to be successful, and its accelerated program can be completed in less than a year.

Pros

• Accredited program
  • Multiple campuses
  • Aid available
  • Accelerated timeline

Cons

• May be expensive
  • No lodging
  • Application fee

Bottom Line

Allen School of Health Sciences offers accredited online training programs for medical assistants and nursing assistants. The programs don’t include lodging and can be pricey, but financial aid and accelerated tracks are available.

Top Allen School of Health Sciences Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everybody was helpful and hands-on when I enrolled at Allen School and the learning experience was great. We have online and in-person so it’s good but I wish that it was fully in...

Verified

It's wonderful with Allen School. The classes are flexible. I also applied for financial aid and that was easy. I would definitely recommend Allen School. It's a very interesting ...

What is Allen School of Health Sciences?

Allen School of Health Sciences is a nationally accredited medical assistant and nursing assistant (CNA) training facility with campuses in New York and Arizona and online education options. The school has been around since 1961, and it offers an accelerated program schedule (typically nine months) for full-time students seeking certification for medical assistant and nursing assistant careers.

Allen School of Health Sciences requirements

Allen School of Health Sciences requires that students have a high school or a GED diploma. To enroll, you must also be at least 17 years old and meet state standard minimum requirements for admission. Students also have to complete an interview with the admissions department, submit proof of graduation, pay a registration fee and attend a mandatory orientation session as part of registration. The interview is meant to assess the applicant’s motivation and expectations for the program. CNA students must also receive at least an 11 on the Wonderlic exam.

To apply, students can either fill out the online request form, chat with a representative online or call the school directly. You also have to pay an application fee — it's $100 for New York campuses and $25 for the Phoenix location.

Allen School of Health Sciences cost

Allen School of Health Sciences costs about $17,634 (tuition and fees) in New York for its medical assistant program and about $15,321 for the same in its Phoenix location. The CNA program, which takes only 130 hours, costs about $1,700. It’s unclear how its online program costs compare to the price of its campus-based education, however.

Allen School of Health Sciences estimates that students will spend an additional $600 on books and supplies. Students also have to pay an application fee ($25 or $100). For those who can’t afford out-of-pocket costs, there is financial aid available. The admissions team can help navigate your options, which include federal student aid, grants, loans, scholarships and military benefits.

Due to the financial hardships that the coronavirus outbreak has caused, the Allen School of Health Sciences is temporarily waiving the requirements that payment of a registration fee is due prior to being considered for enrollment. The registration fee will be due upon the completion of the program.

Allen School of Health Sciences FAQ

How long is the Allen School medical assistant program?

Nine months for a full-time student, on average. It depends on how many hours you take and at what cadence, however.

Is the Allen School accredited?

Yes. The Allen School of Health Sciences is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education (COE). It’s also licensed by the New York State Education Department and the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.

Does Allen School of Health Sciences offer financial aid?

Yes. Its financial aid office helps students gain funding from federal, state, institutional and private sources. There are also scholarship programs available at its Phoenix location.

Where is Allen School of Health Sciences located?

There are three campuses: two in New York and one in Arizona. The New York campuses are in Brooklyn and Jamaica (Queens), and the Arizona location is in Phoenix.

Do we recommend Allen School of Health Sciences?

For students who want an accredited program for medical assistant or nursing assistant training, Allen School of Health Sciences is a good option. With three campuses to choose from in two states and online options, there’s a decent amount of flexibility in terms of location. Also, many full-time students can finish the program in just nine months. The pricing may be a bit expensive for some since it doesn’t include room and board or even a full year’s worth of education, but there are financial aid options available for most students.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allen School of Health Sciences?

Original review: July 29, 2022

The enrollment experience was quick and easy. As soon as I looked on the website, I gave Allen School my information. They called me back within the same day. We went through with the explanation of the program itself, what cost and tuition. And we set up an appointment when I decided to go through with it. A lot of the things were easy to navigate. They give you a lot of explanation. Even before I had my actual classes, they gave a full-on explanation of how things would go. The professor gave a more of an explanation as to how the specific course would run. Some people don't do as well academically, so I could see how this program would be a lot easier for them. Allen School has people who are there to help you and not just give you a grade and you have to figure it out on your own.

I would prefer to be in person. It gives a lot more to focus. Question, sometimes you don't want to interrupt online. However, with the online courses, when we were having them on specific days, we were still able to ask our questions. The professor will stop and answer our questions. Or they may tell, “Just hold that thought. I'm getting to it.” The professor does let us know that they are attentive to your questions and things like that. Allen School is very supportive regarding making sure that their students would get it. They worked very hard with me. They are very accommodating. I went through some family issues where I had to take a leave of absence. And they made it so I didn't miss out much that I was able to catch up to reach my peers. So overall, the experience was worth it in comparison to another program that I started out with.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I was interested in a phlebotomy program. Allen School happened to call me and they offered that. And I liked the energy that was coming from the staff. The enrollment was almost like an interview, which I thought they're serious about who they're allowing into their school. It was more so, what was your goal? What do you want? What are you looking to gain out of this? That's what made me decide it might be a good environment for me.

The program itself was more complex because of the world we live in. They're trying to push people out as soon as possible. And it was hard. It was a lot of work compressed in a short period of time. But the teachers that are at the school did such a great job with that and makde sure that I was learning it the right way. Most of them taught it from a perspective of, I've done it. I was getting the hands-on training and the book work, but it's being taught in a manner of realistic. Everything is based off of, this is exactly what you're gonna do in the field and this is how you're gonna be taught. And they flow it in a way that I'm not gonna feel once I get out there that I don't understand what's going on. My experience was great there. I was able to apply everything that I learned at my internship.

Original review: May 13, 2022

When I was there at the Allen School, it was a good experience. I have a six-month-old son. And my childcare is on and off. It never affected my school, but it affected my work. So I found a better school that offered daycare. And I wanted to go to another school that is four years. Something that is more secure for me. The majority of my teachers were nice. I like all of them. They were understanding. They came into consideration with a lot of things. And I passed all my classes. So, they were a huge help.

I understand that the program is so you can get your degree faster. But when it comes to people hiring you, they want you to have a year or two years. So, Allen School should figure out a way with their program to equivalent to something like that. So people can find out when they graduate. Because that was another concern that I had. That was why I started looking at other schools. But before I went to school last month, I never thought I would ever come back when I graduated. Or after I had a baby. I was never big on school in high school. So just to go for a month and to see, “Man, this is what I've been missing out on for the year I was out of school.” I really enjoyed it.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I spoke with Venetia, the rep. She invited me to a Zoom where there were a couple of slideshows and other students, talking about the programs that they offered. It was 1, 2, 3. She gave me the information I would need and offered me information regarding financial aid, and if I was comfortable with the prices and making it work. I had to wait a couple of weeks just for orientation. But the enrollment was so quick that I couldn’t believe it.

I've only missed one class yesterday because of my voice. It’s not too fast paced as long as you're managing your time. It's all about time management. Other than that, as long as you're submitting assignments and following the courses, you'll be okay. It’s straightforward. Allen School understands that everyone's in different lanes in life and a lot of the teachers are understanding and take their time to get to know you. This program is nine months out of your life, and it sets you up for so many opportunities. I wish that it was closer but other than that, it’s great.

The professors are super down to earth and you have people from all walks of life. So they get to help you with their experiences. Allen School is a melting pot and there's a lot of diversity. I felt comfortable talking to people and they’re so easy to talk to. They’re good people. This is their calling in life and they want to help other people progress. I love Allen School. It’s a village. You hear other stories and you think you’re the only one going through something, and you’re not.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

The teachers try to give us the best teaching possible and they motivate me to do better. Whatever questions I have, they make me feel like that question is not a dumb question. The enrollment experience was easy. Allen School communicated with me well. I had an advisor, and he would check up on me to make sure everything's okay.

My experience so far is good. It was very informational because they told me step-by-step what was going on, what money was going to be taken out from my account, and what was the difference. They came to me with my options as far as doing my mother's credit or if I wanted to pay out of pocket. I recently spoke to the head director of Allen School and he was understanding that I'm currently going to school and I'm doing everything by myself as far as financially. He took off a couple of dollars from my weekly paycheck. I was very appreciative and thankful for that. But I wish that they had lockers because I noticed that every time we move to classes, we have to have our stuff on us, even though we're not really doing anything. This is a school environment and having lockers would be more beneficial as far as us being comfortable and not having to worry about taking our bag with us if we want to go use the bathroom.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

All the professors at Allen School were very helpful and explanatory with what they were teaching. I would give that a thumbs up. That was good. All the coordinators were nice. They made sure to help us get everything on track such as our physicals, getting our resumes in and whatever we were lacking on. It's like going to regular school. They try to keep you on track with everything so you don't fall behind. I recently finished my internship about a week ago.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

The teachers did great teaching me. They are head-on. And if you stay focused, it's one, two, three. It's an easy process.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

The Allen School rep showed me what I could expect. I liked it. The only thing that was a hindrance was when they were teaching us the EKG. Since I was the only male in the class, I didn’t get a chance to practice with it. There wasn’t a big number of male students there. So, that was an area that was a bit lackluster. I understand how to put the EKG on. But I wish I had more practice with that. Other than that, the experience was phenomenal. The professors are very understanding. They want you to get the stuff and they're trying to do it not for their own benefit, but for the students to be able to take advantage of it. I like that about them. The majority of them are like that, too. I appreciate the way they approach things and the way they talk about their experiences. The staff is fast as well. So, everything has come out good.

Original review: July 31, 2022

I have a good experience with Allen School. And it shows me whatever I need to learn to go to a clinic or to be in the area. Every time that I don't understand something, I ask and they repeat it. If I don't understand in one way, they try to explain in some other ways. If I don't know how to do something, I just ask. And when they explain me, I got it and then I keep doing it. Once I know, that's gonna be like a cup of water. Right now, I'm in the internship and it's good. And every day that it passed, I like more and more. I'm good with everything. But when I was online, it's difficult because it was a lot of things. I am a single mom. I have to take class. And I have to take care of the baby. I have to cook dinner for him, while I have some class. But when I was in the campus, I was more concentrated and because I was there.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I liked what Allen School was offering and the amount of time and how they were able to help me. I looked into it because it was something that I've been wanting to do for a long time. I did it for my daughter. I had a reason to push forward. The learning experience is good. The teachers are well-instructed on the instructions and the notes that they give. It's just now I've been going through a lot so I haven't really been attending. But I'm gonna go back Monday. If anybody was to join Allen School, they should come up with a reason to go there.

Allen School of Health Sciences Company Information