Queens, NY

Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Allen School of Health Sciences

For more than 60 years, the Allen School of Health Sciences has assisted and trained thousands of people for their new careers in health care. The company's goal is for office to meet clinic, giving students an opportunity to work with medical professionals in a physician's office, clinic or hospital. The school's training courses are designed to provide students with the skills needed to be successful, and its accelerated program can be completed in less than a year.

Pros

• Accredited program
  • Multiple campuses
  • Aid available
  • Accelerated timeline

Cons

• May be expensive
  • No lodging
  • Application fee

Bottom Line

Allen School of Health Sciences offers accredited online training programs for medical assistants and nursing assistants. The programs don’t include lodging and can be pricey, but financial aid and accelerated tracks are available.

Top Allen School of Health Sciences Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everybody was helpful and hands-on when I enrolled at Allen School and the learning experience was great. We have online and in-person so it’s good but I wish that it was fully in...

Verified

It's wonderful with Allen School. The classes are flexible. I also applied for financial aid and that was easy. I would definitely recommend Allen School. It's a very interesting ...

What is Allen School of Health Sciences?

Allen School of Health Sciences is a nationally accredited medical assistant and nursing assistant (CNA) training facility with campuses in New York and Arizona and online education options. The school has been around since 1961, and it offers an accelerated program schedule (typically nine months) for full-time students seeking certification for medical assistant and nursing assistant careers.

Allen School of Health Sciences requirements

Allen School of Health Sciences requires that students have a high school or a GED diploma. To enroll, you must also be at least 17 years old and meet state standard minimum requirements for admission. Students also have to complete an interview with the admissions department, submit proof of graduation, pay a registration fee and attend a mandatory orientation session as part of registration. The interview is meant to assess the applicant’s motivation and expectations for the program. CNA students must also receive at least an 11 on the Wonderlic exam.

To apply, students can either fill out the online request form, chat with a representative online or call the school directly. You also have to pay an application fee — it's $100 for New York campuses and $25 for the Phoenix location.

Allen School of Health Sciences cost

Allen School of Health Sciences costs about $17,234 (tuition and fees) in New York for its medical assistant program and about $15,321 for the same in its Phoenix location. The CNA program, which takes only 130 hours, costs about $1,700. It’s unclear how its online program costs compare to the price of its campus-based education, however.

Allen School of Health Sciences estimates that students will spend an additional $600 on books and supplies. Students also have to pay an application fee ($25 or $100). For those who can’t afford out-of-pocket costs, there is financial aid available. The admissions team can help navigate your options, which include federal student aid, grants, loans, scholarships and military benefits.

Due to the financial hardships that the coronavirus outbreak has caused, the Allen School of Health Sciences is temporarily waiving the requirements that payment of a registration fee is due prior to being considered for enrollment. The registration fee will be due upon the completion of the program.

Allen School of Health Sciences FAQ

How long is the Allen School medical assistant program?
Nine months for a full-time student, on average. It depends on how many hours you take and at what cadence, however.
Is the Allen School accredited?
Yes. The Allen School of Health Sciences is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education (COE). It’s also licensed by the New York State Education Department and the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education.
Does Allen School of Health Sciences offer financial aid?
Yes. Its financial aid office helps students gain funding from federal, state, institutional and private sources. There are also scholarship programs available at its Phoenix location.
Where is Allen School of Health Sciences located?
There are three campuses: two in New York and one in Arizona. The New York campuses are in Brooklyn and Jamaica (Queens), and the Arizona location is in Phoenix.

Do we recommend Allen School of Health Sciences?

For students who want an accredited program for medical assistant or nursing assistant training, Allen School of Health Sciences is a good option. With three campuses to choose from in two states and online options, there’s a decent amount of flexibility in terms of location. Also, many full-time students can finish the program in just nine months. The pricing may be a bit expensive for some since it doesn’t include room and board or even a full year’s worth of education, but there are financial aid options available for most students.

Allen School of Health Sciences Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allen School of Health Sciences?

Original review: April 29, 2022

The enrollment with Allen School was easy and the only thing that gave me a little issue was my financial aid, but everything fell into place eventually. I got a good counselor, Shaina. She’s literally the best. I talk to her like she’s my best friend and even when I did financial aid, they explained to me my best options. I was supposed to start from February but with my whole financial aid option, they explained to me the best time for me to start was around April, which was what I did. I waited a month and a half and we got started, and everything's been so good so far.

The teachers I've had so far do their best to explain things to us and let us know what we need. We have a lady that works there who sends out emails. She loves to know what's going on. Everyone is doing their job to help us. I would recommend Allen School. It's still just like college. The only difference is it's just one study as opposed to it being different studies. It makes me feel like an adult in a way because the goal that I'm going towards is that big-girl job. So, it makes me put myself in a position where I have to think and move a certain type of way, because this is an adult job that I'm going for.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

I spoke with Venetia, the rep. She invited me to a Zoom where there were a couple of slideshows and other students, talking about the programs that they offered. It was 1, 2, 3. She gave me the information I would need and offered me information regarding financial aid, and if I was comfortable with the prices and making it work. I had to wait a couple of weeks just for orientation. But the enrollment was so quick that I couldn’t believe it.

I've only missed one class yesterday because of my voice. It’s not too fast paced as long as you're managing your time. It's all about time management. Other than that, as long as you're submitting assignments and following the courses, you'll be okay. It’s straightforward. Allen School understands that everyone's in different lanes in life and a lot of the teachers are understanding and take their time to get to know you. This program is nine months out of your life, and it sets you up for so many opportunities. I wish that it was closer but other than that, it’s great.

The professors are super down to earth and you have people from all walks of life. So they get to help you with their experiences. Allen School is a melting pot and there's a lot of diversity. I felt comfortable talking to people and they’re so easy to talk to. They’re good people. This is their calling in life and they want to help other people progress. I love Allen School. It’s a village. You hear other stories and you think you’re the only one going through something, and you’re not.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

The teachers try to give us the best teaching possible and they motivate me to do better. Whatever questions I have, they make me feel like that question is not a dumb question. The enrollment experience was easy. Allen School communicated with me well. I had an advisor, and he would check up on me to make sure everything's okay.

My experience so far is good. It was very informational because they told me step-by-step what was going on, what money was going to be taken out from my account, and what was the difference. They came to me with my options as far as doing my mother's credit or if I wanted to pay out of pocket. I recently spoke to the head director of Allen School and he was understanding that I'm currently going to school and I'm doing everything by myself as far as financially. He took off a couple of dollars from my weekly paycheck. I was very appreciative and thankful for that. But I wish that they had lockers because I noticed that every time we move to classes, we have to have our stuff on us, even though we're not really doing anything. This is a school environment and having lockers would be more beneficial as far as us being comfortable and not having to worry about taking our bag with us if we want to go use the bathroom.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I recently left my old school, wanted to jump into the medical field, and Allen School was the quickest way for me to do that. My counselor was really nice. I told him the whole story, and he related to me. He was able to help me through the whole process and with the whole financial aid situation. I liked the learning experience there. I felt kind of weird during the third month because I was thinking, "If I knew I was going to like this more, I probably would have never applied to college. I would've just gone to Allen School and would have been done a long time ago."

One thing I appreciate about the school is the teachers are dedicated to helping you. Anytime I had a question, they would always answer. The classes were long, but they were needed. When we're in school, it's a different experience every time. It's nice to see everybody's faces and put a name to a face. Now when we're together, we automatically start talking and start getting into stuff with class. For most days, we do homework by ourselves. But when we have to go in school, I do like to ask them about it and people would come and ask me questions too. When we see each other, it's the time to ask questions.

I would recommend this school to anybody, especially somebody that doesn't fit a college standard school. This can be an alternative and it's not that bad. The teachers are great and the students are even better. It's a whole 'nother experience. It gives me more time to be flexible and think about myself. The experience made me know that I've made the right decision, going into this school. I was really scared about the price side, but it was extremely worth it. I never doubted any homework or anything that I ever received from a teacher. I never doubted the students I was being taught with. It was 100% the best experience I had, ever.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I called Allen School and I liked what they told me. After trying to feel out what the curriculum is like, how they do their online classes and how much help is available for those that might need it, I came in the next day and signed up for school. I've been there ever since. It is a wonderful place and I have the most fabulous instructors that ever taught. Enrollment was easy. The rep was very concise, and everything was made clear, and he broke it down to layman's terms and made sure that I understood everything that I was signing prior to signing it.

I couldn't get the learning experience anywhere else any better than where I'm getting it at right now. It doesn't matter how many different people ask the same question worded differently, the instructor is going to make sure that that person understands. It's not like, "Hurry up. We gotta go. We gotta go. We have a schedule." It's like, "You're gonna understand this before I move on to the next thing or else I didn't teach you anything." That's what I like. I respect and I appreciate that because they really are concerned whether or not I know what I'm doing when I leave here. I'm not just a check.

I love my instructors. I love the way they interact with us. Their personalities blend. They're understanding and patient. I'm 54, but the majority of my class is in their 20s. So, that's a big gap. Miss Deborah is fabulous. Ranen is the same thing. He's so funny, but he makes sure that you know what you know. You can't find better instructors.

Original review: May 14, 2022

It's only my fourth week with Allen School, but it's been nice. It has its days like a teacher would get frustrated because students are not paying attention. It causes aggravation and then, the lesson would be stopped for a minute, but then it goes on. One of my professors takes her time and helps me. She goes over everything and answers every question. She doesn't single anybody out. Going to Allen School is a lot of work. You got to put in the work to get where you want to be. You have to want to do it. Just don't go and do it because you want to do it like you have to.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I just started with Allen School and it’s going good. I like how they welcomed me and made me feel like family. They like to help around and engage with the students, and I appreciate that they take their time to teach everyone and give the maximum help that everybody needs, because not everybody learns at the same pace. I love the school. I moved into the Bronx and I'm willing to travel all the way to Brooklyn to go to that school, because that's how good it is. I will travel even if I was anywhere else because I haven't seen in no other school the benefits that Allen School of Health Sciences offers. It’s accommodating and the place is also very clean compared to other schools. They like to communicate with you and treat you as adults, which we are. There are other people that come from high school. So, they give you the respect that you deserve.

Original review: April 21, 2022

Allen School is good. I'm in the first module right now and the instructors could be a little bit better, but they're alright. I just wish they wouldn't take so much time on attendance. There are 40 people in our class and we waste half the class doing attendance and little questions that don't have anything to do with anything. And we only have a little bit amount of time to learn everything that we need to learn. It’s annoying.

One of my teachers took 30 points off of my homework because I didn't write it exactly how he wrote the answers. I wrote the answers in my own words but I got the answers from the stuff that he gave us. He left me with 20 points making my stuff go down. I didn't like that at all and I've been upset about that. The teachers need to take some trainings on not messing up people’s grades. Also, my English teacher gets on my nerves because I don't understand how you're an English teacher and you stress the important factors of pronunciation, but then you pronounce my name wrong. But other than that, they’re great.

Original review: April 20, 2022

Allen School made the enrollment easy by giving me the list of documents I needed. The learning experience is pleasant and the professors are good. They teach their classes in a way we get to ask questions, pick up where we left off and make sure that we get assignments. I took an anatomy class and we’re learning the terminology and how to say medical terms and the procedures as well as how there are certain guidelines that we got to follow and certain rules that are mandatory to keep your job as a nursing assistant.

Original review: April 19, 2022

The experience with Allen School has been good but they can improve a little bit more on their respect and stop always trying to talk to us like we’re small children. A lot of us are fully grown adults with children of our own. There's a little bit of frustration on both ends because the teachers are moving fast because of the fast-paced program. However, some students struggle to keep up sometimes. I'm just trying to buckle down and stay focused.

Allen School of Health Sciences Company Information