It's that easy Request Information
4.54/5

Tampa, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

We are the leader in minimally invasive spine surgery, offering a safer and effective alternative to traditional open back surgery. Our minimally invasive spine surgery is often the clinically appropriate first choice and provides many advantages versus open neck or back surgery. Our outpatient procedures are performed in a state-of-the-art facility, using a less than 1-inch incision.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

329 Laser Spine Institute Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I did two levels with Dr. Weiss in 2010. Because they did the levels 10 days apart, I had a stroke and lost 30% of my oxygen for 1 1/2 years. The surgery did provide relief until 2015 when all the symptoms and pain returned. I never pushed myself and did just what they said. Today I had them review my latest MRI, and the two levels they did completely deteriorated and both discs are bulging. They said they cannot do redos with the laser in the same areas. So now they have an orthopedic surgeon on-board and do regular surgeries too. And, of course they don't take insurance, except for some medications. They want another $35 up front. Don't waste your money. Don't do this bandaid surgery.

Get expert buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My wife had tests done several weeks in advance and discontinued medications 5 days before the procedure as instructed. She drove in pain all the way from Chicago to St. Louis, hotels, meals, etc. only to be told when she got there that medications should have been discontinued 2 weeks ago. We couldn't afford this trip and the driving is hard on my wife. I have to work day and night to pay all these medical bills. Now we're back at square one and have to find something in the Chicago area, starting all over. As can be expected the burden falls on the working person who can't afford the insane medical bills to figure out a solution. This has been devastating and horrible.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I had surgery at Mayfield Heights Laser Spine Institute on may 23rd. It has not even been 5 months and I am in terrible pain. After my surgery I was having issues, called them, they ordered a steroid pack, took this. Felt better for few weeks, pain came back so I called again. They called another steroid pack in, again, same results, so they ordered another MRI and it reveals there is a reoccurrence of the same thing I went in for surgery in the first place.

I am in terrible pain, neck, arm and have to now go into another surgery with a Neurosurgeon to fix this right. LASER SPINE was suppose to call me back before weekend after their Dr. reviewed my results, no phone call. I have got a runaround with them now. Nothing like when I was going to have surgery, they were calling all the time, pressuring also for your upfront money that they push CareCredit on you to use. They also did not inform me there was a chance of reoccurring, especially within 5 months. Now I have to take time off work and miss out on my wages again to take care of this awful pain.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have to say that LSI was just amazing. Doctor and staff were the most professional people I have ever dealt with in the medical field. As for the facility, it was first class. I would highly recommend this practice to anyone with a back/neck issue. It's located just off the Tampa airport runway and the hotels are feet away from the LSI center.

Resolution response: Oct. 25, 2018

I'm happy to be updating my review with very positive news. LSI has contacted me and addressed the failure to have my calls returned. They offered their sincere apology for the lack of communication, and I say with confidence that it truly was sincere. In fairness to LSI, I did learn that there was coordination and progress taking place behind the scenes, so to speak, but unfortunately I wasn't aware of it. While a lack of communication was certainly the nucleus of this issue, it seems that the matter has been resolved. Their staff has since been most courteous and helpful, and I am grateful that they were willing to work with us in scheduling an appointment in the very near future.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

From initial professionalism and encouragement, to being ignored and complete disappointment. I originally contacted the Laser Spine Institute on behalf of my mother, hoping to explore treatment options for her spinal condition. The initial, “Patient Coordinator,” that I was assigned to, failed to return my phone calls for an entire week.

While this alone was frustrating enough to write them off, I decided to give it one more attempt. I requested a new coordinator, and was assigned to, “Colleen.” I was pleasantly surprised to find that Colleen returned my call the same day and was professional, courteous and very knowledgeable about the beginning processes of evaluation. I worked with her during the week to coordinate medical appointments, transfer medical records, and basically start the process of having my mother evaluated for treatment. I submitted the non-refundable $250 fee to have a nurse call my mother directly, to gather additional pertinent information. Everything up to this point now seemed to flow, but that was about to change.

One of my initial concerns was scheduling availability to have the laser procedure done. I had a two week break in my work schedule where I would be available to airline my mother to Arizona for treatment. I expressed this concern right away, and it was agreed that we would most likely have ample time to complete the initial medical evaluations and have the surgical procedure scheduled on one of the two weeks in our target window. While they couldn’t make a 100% guarantee of schedule availability at that time, they remained fairly confident that her procedure could be completed within the two week window. I completely understood and was satisfied with that answer.

Fast forward to today… After my mother successfully completed her medical evaluations, we began waiting for someone to contact us regarding scheduling for the procedure. I had actually started making phone calls immediately after her initial medical evals were completed to emphasis the importance of getting her on the schedule, as I knew our window of opportunity was approaching. Crickets. No one returned my calls. I reached out for more than a week to the nurse coordinator that we had now been assigned to, but my numerous messages went ignored. No one called.

I again contacted our original patient coordinator with my concerns and to hopefully instill some level of urgency in the scheduling process. I was advised that she would reach out to our nurse coordinator and find out why no one was returning my calls. That proved to be of no help. Still no one called. To sum this up, after the $250 nurse evaluation over the phone, we seemed to basically drop off the radar of anyone’s concern or interest at the Spine Institute. While their staff was initially encouraging and engaging, we suddenly found ourselves in limbo, unable to get the courtesy of simple call back.

After a long wait, today represents the first call back I’ve received from the Laser Spine Institute, regarding scheduling. Unfortunately it comes just one week before our window of opportunity closes, and as expected, “Oh, we could never schedule a procedure just one week out.” I’m beyond disappointed. I truly hope that those of you making the decision to use LSI, find the customer service element to be much more successful than our experience. I submit this to share our experience, and perhaps warn you that the smoke they initially blow at you in the beginning, might not last.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Laser Spine Institute?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My son contacted Laser Spine Institute after learning about it online. They requested that he have his MRI results sent, which he did. (My son is 24 and has two herniated discs.) He soon received a call back saying that they had reviewed his MRI and he was a good candidate for surgery. They asked that he come in for a consult and a new MRI would be done. He went to the Cleveland facility, which is a three hour drive one way. A new MRI was done at their facility. A few days later he was told that the new MRI also showed he was a good candidate for surgery and to come back for a consult with the surgeon and to meet with a financial specialist.

I accompanied him on the second trip. We were told that, due to unforeseen circumstances, the surgeon would be unable to meet with him but another gentleman who identified himself as a surgical colleague of the doctor met with us and reviewed the MRI images with us. He pointed out the specific problem area on the MRI images and explained exactly what would be done to correct the problem during surgery. He said that the opening where the nerves go through the bone would be made larger, so that the nerves had adequate room. He explained that this was what is causing his pain.

We then met with a financial representative (I don't remember his title). He collected a $250 deposit, had us complete necessary forms and the surgery was scheduled for a Tuesday, a little over a week away. The day before surgery, my son was to meet with the surgeon for "pre-op", which included having a test done on his spine in which the specific area is numbed to ensure that it was, indeed, the problem area.

The surgeon was late and my son waited an hour past the appointment time. When he was finally called to meet with the surgeon, the surgeon made it clear that he was running behind and only had a moment to explain to him that he was, in fact, not a candidate for surgery and that there was nothing Laser Spine Institute could do to help him, short of fusing some vertebrae together, which the surgeon said he would advise against due to my son's young age. The surgeon said he would be happy to refer him to a place in Florida that does experimental procedures that could possibly help him. And that was that.

My son didn't have the opportunity to ask questions and it was never explained why he was told he was a good candidate for surgery when he apparently was not, why he was scheduled for surgery, why the "surgical colleague" explained how surgery would be completed, why a second MRI was needed (and will need paid for) when the first would have or should have revealed the same "inoperable injury." I called that afternoon to speak with someone who could answer these questions but the patient coordinators were gone for the day, according to the telephone receptionist.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I get a lot of procedures done. And I have found in the medical field if they don't take my medical insurance for a simple procedure then it's probably bullcrap. I had went to another facility similar to this about neuropathy and they did some bull crap test on me telling me that I was going to lose my ability to walk and feel things. Comes to find out that I have spinal stenosis by a regular doctor. I call Spinal Institute to find out. They neither take my insurance and that's a red flag for me. I would recommend that you do not go to any other doctor that your primary care doctor does not refer you to and that is not a well-established procedure. I know my primary doctor explain some things to me and the things that need to happen if this was a verified type of surgery. The way that they're doing it it will be covered by all insurance especially because it's less work than be evasive surgery spinal stenosis.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I am a doctor and should have known better. I have one central bulging disc and with my profession, I was excited about the recovery of Laser Spine. I went to the LS in Cleveland. Deep down inside I knew the surgeon was lying when he told me he would do a bilateral laminectomy and discectomy through one incision. I didn't think he could do that but, I am not a neurosurgeon and he told me "I do it all the time". After the surgery and paying $10,000 more than my insurance would pay, I was worse right away. I gave it a year and ordered another MRI. It showed that the left side laminectomy was incomplete and the right side laminectomy and discectomy was never done.

I went back to LS a year after the first surgery to discuss this MRI. The evaluation doctor was clearly shocked that the surgery wasn't done. He extolled the skills of the "new surgeon" and recommended it be re-done. The scheduler told me with a big grin, they would be happy to do it right this time for another ten grand! I run a large specialty clinic in NE PA with over 20,000 patients and we diagnose lower back problems every day. We tell all our patients "Don't go to Laser Spine!"

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I put a $200 deposit down after feeling scared of my diagnosis from a doctor I went to. Less than 24 hours later and after talking to my wife and trying to make a better informed decision, and with the fact of my insurance not covering the procedure that would have costed anywhere from $11,000 to $21,000 dollars out of pocket, I decided to opt out because we could not afford it. They wanted to max out the Care credit, and etc. It would have been basically another 300 to 500 dollar month payment. I didn't really have the money to put a deposit down in the first place. I felt pressured. I contacted the sales person less than 24 hours later explaining why I couldn't proceed and expressed my concerns, Alan I believe was his name and he told me that he would not and could not refund me the $200 dollars I put down and they have it recorded.

I didn't even have a dates set yet for the initial testing. But it didn't matter to them. I don't normally fill out a questionnaire or complain, but I am still upset. Why would multi million dollar company would not refund $200 dollars? Is it because the company is hurting that much? It bothers me to my core. But I am upset because that I feel like Laser Spine Institute puts "Profit" above their patients. I am so disappointed because I was expecting better!!! Service that I received!!! Why would a Company stoop down this level. This was why I will never ever ever go to Laser Spine Institute for any kind of procedure or recommend anyone to go to this place, and I will always feel upset until my money is returned. So do the right thing. I know it's only $200 but it the principle of the matter.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My wife suffers from degenerative spine disease, and has had several open surgeries. She is now 73, and doesn't feel that she can endure another one. We contacted Laser with a hope that they might be able to help in some way with non-invasive procedures. Without going into the horrifying details, I can honestly say that the organizational process of this company is the worst that I have EVER seen in long lifetime. We submitted her MRI, and have since been contacted by 7 different people (that's right, SEVEN). None of them had the knowledge or authority to analyze the findings, but wanted to ask a few questions and "passed our contact number along to someone who can assess the situation". I truly cannot believe that anyone, ever, has had good results with this joke of a company. RUN far and fast and seek out a real doctor!!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Updated on 10/23/2018: I wrote the review over the weekend. First thing the following Monday Isabelle (Issy) calls me from LSI. "How can we fix this?" She asks. I suggested maybe them refunding my airfare, hotel, rental car. You know my expenses. She says she will call me back in an hour. The last voicemail I received from her was Friday Oct.12. I have left her 4 messages in the 11 days since she left that last message. I’ll ask you. Is this a company you want to trust your back to? Haha, They don’t have your back!

Original Review: At their request, I sent them a very recent MRI. If it was reviewed by a surgeon & not an accountant, I should have been declined. They tried to deaden the nerves to simulate the result of surgery. Both of their attempts were useless. Only taking my pain level from 7 to 6. What a waste of my time. They got paid for all their procedures. Remember they only work on 1 joint at a procedure. I was very unhappy with the outcome.

No response received
Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I don’t know how to describe everything that went wrong. They told me my recovery would be 1-2 weeks to get me spot sign up. After I paid they said it would be months. I brought Years of X-rays and other procedures that they said they didn’t even want to look at. They never told me I would need a back brace post op until right before surgery. I gave them all of my medications beforehand and then prescribed something that reacted with my prescription post op and sent me to the emergency room and didn’t even pay for the treatment. I have gone a year with pain after surgery and have had months of physical therapy. The surgery was a complete failure for me. I will never let them touch me again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

While I have managed lower back issues for 20+ years on 2-1-17 I had a regular chiropractic adjustment and within 90 mins I could barely stand up or walk. I felt as if I was plugged into an electrical outlet and someone had control of the wall switch. I tried rest, ice, physical therapy, pain meds and steroid shots but nothing worked. I went from being a successful professional to someone who disabled who was afraid to move. After three months of horsing around with the minimally invasive methods and having things dragged out by the insurance company (Cigna) I sent my application and MRI to LSI.

I went out of network, paid twice my deductible to learn that my L4-L5 disc ruptured, and I had a bone spur and sever stenosis. I went to Scottsdale and In 5 days I had a thorough physical, blood tests and additional studies on days 1-3. Day 5 was surgery and day 5 was a check up. Later that day I flew home to PA. I highly recommend LSI, Dr. ** and their staff. The awful pain was gone when I come too from the operation and I left with a 3/4” incision. In six weeks I went through physical therapy to regain my strength. In short I am thrilled with my experience and am very grateful to have my life/health back. There is no need to live in agony and that is what I would of lived with if I didn’t step outside the box and visit LSI.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

After three decades of being a home builder that took a toll on my back, I experienced debilitating back pain. I went to several different spine doctors. I tried physical therapy, acupuncture, chiropractors and lastly pain management clinics. Pain medication only masked the pain and nauseated me. This is no way to live. I saw the Laser Spine Institute commercial on TV and contacted them. Laser Spine Institute was so easy to work with and thorough in explaining the procedure. I had spine surgery at Laser Spine Institute and I am free from the debilitating pain. My wife no longer has to put my socks and shoes on! We are fully enjoying our retirement and I am able to golf which I thought would never happen again. If you are experiencing back pain that is hindering your life style, please contact Laser Spine Institute. I'm very grateful that I did -- I'm blessed and have a new lease on life. Thank you LSI!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

What a surreal experience for me. After 4 years, 4 months and 18 days of severe pain in my back, I met Dr. ** in Philly. He changed my life. I walked out of there standing tall. After following the post op instructions to a tee, my severe pain is gone, I can a actually sleep now... it's surreal after being gas lit by 12 other doctors and insurance carriers, being told nothing can be done or that I just have to live with it, Dr. ** changed my life. I haven't used my legs much in 4 years, 4 months and 18 days, now My challenge is rebuilding leg muscles, it will take some time as my spinal cord was impinged all that time but I'm confident in due time with work they will come back.

Thank you to Dr. ** and his stellar staff for their professionalism and adhering to their oath to help people. I'm truly indebted for life for Dr. ** incredible skill and his tightly run ship! The institute was world class, clean and the staff was amazing from the first moment to Dr. ** phone call on the way home. I can't thank you all enough. God bless you all and thank you from the bottom of my heart. Hopefully one day, I can get the impinge nerve in my neck repaired as well. Thank you ALL. ❤

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Tried to contact Laser Spine Centers for changing an appointment. They will not get back to me... left 3 messages. All I got after 3 days of trying is their voicemail stating Diane was busy but would return the call within 24 hours. At this point I want to cancel my appointment because if that is how they handle customers, I want no part of it.

No response received
Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I contacted LSI on 16 JUL 2018, they asked a few questions and guaranteed a 'Consultant' would call me in two (2) days; four (4) days later I called LSI again, they put me to the Consultant's voicemail, I left a message; three (3) days later I called LSI again, I asked for a Supervisor and a new Consultant; magically, my Consultant answered and was very unprofessional. I asked her for a Supervisor, she gave me his name, said he would call me soon; four (4) days later I called LSI again; I said I asked for a Supervisor to call me, she saw that it had been noted and sent me to the voicemail of a new Consultant, I left a pleasant voice mail for her to call me and did not mention my recent disappointment. It is 13AUG2018. No one has called me, email me, nothing. I am so grateful for the poor customer service. It saved me from what might have been a tragic surgery. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE LASER SPINE INSTITUTE. BEWARE!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I have had two procedures at the Laser Spine Institute in Tampa Florida. They worked on both cervical and lumbar disc. Both procedures were 100% successful without any problems at all. Every single staff member is extremely friendly and helpful, which is something you rarely see anymore. The doctors take time to go over MRI, X Rays, and explain the procedure the day before surgery. In today's society, I would give the Laser Spine Institute 5+ stars and highly recommend them if you are having spinal problems.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 10, 2018

I had a cervical and Lumbar procedure at Laser Spine Institute over a year ago. The staff is very nice and helpful but my main complaint is you never really have a Doctor. You don't even know who the surgeon will be until they walk in right before they put you to sleep. Dr ** did my lumbar procedure and five days later Dr Zoltan ** did my cervical procedure. I think it would have been better to space the two out more.

My lower back did pretty good for about a year but then it got worse. My neck was giving me issues and I contacted LSI about a year after the procedure. I requested to speak to Dr ** but the nurse would not let me. I consider this unacceptable! Currently I am experiencing much neck pain and now my back seems as bad or worse than before the surgery. I'm very disappointed. I have a new cervical MRI scheduled and after it's done I will get a new lumbar MRI. I will be seeking alternatives to Laser Spine Institute. Not having a specific assigned physician is totally unacceptable. Please take this in consideration before dealing with LSI.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: June 20, 2018

On May 19, 2018 I talked to Chad ** about surgery. At the time I went through the credit procedure and made a deposit of $250.00. I gave this thorough thought over the weekend and decided due to the cost and my age not to enter into this much debt at this time. I notified Chad ** on Monday May 22, 2018 that I was canceled for the time being and asked for a refund of my deposit. Several days later I sent an email requesting a refund. Chad ** has never answered my email nor refunded my deposit. My next step is to talk to someone at the BBB about this matter.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 4, 2018

I read many reviews about Laser Spine Institute and while the surgical results were generally successful, by far the majority of concerns were about the unexpected extra billing. Regarding the surgical procedure, after reviewing the MRI results we were told by a rep that my wife was a good candidate for their services. They never asked for the actual MRI nor could we speak to a technician or doctor (all communication was thru a "Spine Care Consultant" who was very professional but was only a mouthpiece for others and could not answer any detailed questions). The other more invasive surgical option involves a more invasive procedure involving fusing the L5/S1 vertebrae with pins & screws due to a 50% shift in the alignment. After seeing the MRI and the significant alignment shift we do not see how this could be performed in a 1 inch incision.

Of course, after spending 3 days at their facility to further evaluate the severity of the problem, they would probably come to the same conclusion (of course, we would have to pay for all the additional tests and facility charges to tell us we would not be a candidate for their procedure). While this was a concern, the biggest concern was about the total charges for the procedure. I must start by saying that my wife is over 65 and had a Medicare Advantage plan which case Spine Institute doesn't seem to understand (they do not bill Medicare, they bill the insurance company) or would prefer not to deal with. In summary, their facility is not a Medicare approved facility so the patient must pay 100% of those costs. The consultant even told me that they have chosen not to get Medicare's approval because, if approved, they would only be paid pennies on the dollar and they will not accept that.

Regardless, I kept trying to pin down the costs and was quoted an out of pocket cost of $30K for a fusion procedure. They were never able to break down the cost between the physician and facility even though the physicians are in-network for my insurance company. If both physician and facility were in network my insurance coverage would have limited my cost to $325 or 1.08% of their quote. Needless to say, we will be going the other route where the procedure will be performed locally by a cooperating surgical team of an orthopedic (bone specialist) and neurosurgeon (nerve specialist) with a 1 night hospital stay. While others have said they do good work, I would be very careful in my working with them and pin down all aspects of the treatment, procedure and cost (Buyer Beware). When they get you in their limited facility locations you are at their mercy.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Everyone was courteous, and knowledgeable. I was treated as if I was a long time friend. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. **. He laid out what he was going to do, the risks involved, and expectant outcomes. There was no pressure to undergo the surgery.

Original review: May 30, 2018

From the beginning to the end they where exceptionally professional and I was in significant pain. Under their care the pain has all but disappeared. It does take time to recover but the results are more than I could have reasonably expected.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I can’t say enough about my experience at Laser Spine Institute in Cincinnati. From my first phone call with them all the way through their diligent post-surgery follow-ups, I dealt with the most caring and professional people imaginable. Of course, my procedure was a success and I’m feeling like a new person - I just wish I’d come to LSI sooner!

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 24, 2018

I went to a local hotel presentation for Laser Spine Institute. I was in terrible back pain. I was interviewed and told I was a candidate for their surgery and that my insurance (Aetna) would cover the entire cost. I asked several times, in subsequent telephone conversations before the surgery, and was assured that the procedure would be fully covered. It cost $30,000.

I flew to Tampa for the surgery. Dr ** performed the surgery. I awoke from the anesthesia with a bloody, bruised lip and nose. I was facing the floor, and saw blood on the floor. I asked the nurse what happened. He said they “had to turn me suddenly during the procedure”. And never explained why. He did apologize for the bloody nose and swollen lip. Recovery was painful. I had discs L3 and L4 worked on and Dr ** said he “removed some extra bone” from somewhere there. I was in more pain than previously. I spent most of my time in physical therapy or in bed for 8 weeks.

I called LSI to inform them that I had some strange loss of feeling and tingling in one foot and leg which I had never had before. They said this was a good sign (!). It didn’t go away for 8 years, and still does return some days. So this was an injury from the surgery, which did not in any way get rid of the original pain and problem(s). To add insult to injury, Aetna refused the claim, saying it was experimental. I had to claim I was “improving”. Laser spine told me this was essential. So my records with them will show “steady improvement”. They avoided the insurance issue. I had to pay

$30,000 out of my pocket!!! With a lot of hard work and a lot of physical therapy, I have improved my back problems. I still have incidents where my back “goes out” for days or weeks, just as it did before LSI. But I’m slowly recovering from their terrible care. Be very aware of these people. Get in writing that your claim is covered. Do anything else before you have surgery with them. Try physical therapy. Try massage. Try anything. But not LSI.

All the glowing reviews here make me suspicious. The two people from my day of surgery, whom I stayed in contact with for awhile, were worse after LSI. I wonder if this truthful review will even be posted. 9 years later, I see them when I see their commercials on TV. I want my $30,000! They never cared, lied to me and I was not helped by them. Background note — I am an otherwise healthy person, low weight, athletic leaning, vegetarian, careful with all dietary things, don’t smoke or drink. I can finally walk several miles again. I wish I never heard of Laser Spine Institute.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I appreciate what was done for me by the wonderful staff at Laser Spine Institute in Scottsdale, AZ, and that I was able to get back to my active life so quickly. I didn't appreciate the 10 day delay in my treatment just because I was being tested for TB through my employer, knowing that I was not infected. That put undue stress on my situation and kept me from getting my full paycheck while in recovery. I am feeling awesome and I recommend Laser Spine Institute to everyone who asks.

Original review: May 1, 2018

When we contacted LSI (Oklahoma City) about my husband's neck surgery, they sounded very promising. We sent them a copy of his MRI and they said he was a candidate for their minimally invasive surgery through the back of the neck. They initially told us it would cost $22,500 because he didn't have insurance. Then they came back and said it would be $15,500 because he got a self-pay discount. Great! We paid our $250 deposit to get started, made the hotel arrangements, took a week off of work, packed up the dog and traveled by car out of state to have this surgery.

First day of pre-op went well, 2nd day they dropped a bomb on us. They said they couldn't do the initial surgery but could do a disc replacement surgery through the front of his neck, near his vocal cords and the cost jumped to $32,500. We told them we had to think about it. They said they needed an answer by 4pm. That gave us 3 hours to decide. We went back to the hotel shocked, trying to figure out if we could afford the new cost, do the surgery, don't do the surgery.

I called them back and asked them what had changed from when they saw the MRI to today? If they had this MRI before we ever left home why did the surgery change? The administrator couldn't give me an answer. We felt like they tricked/trapped us into traveling there, knowing we were desperate for help and figured since we were already there with a hotel and our dog that we would just pay. Then they called back and said they would do the surgery for $20,400!! What? Ok, but who does this much price haggling on surgery?

We decided to do the surgery but had to wait until Monday. That gave us all weekend to really think about all we have been through with them. The decision never set well with either of us all weekend. Yes, the price was concern, but our biggest problem was the change in surgery. They never got a new MRI only new x-rays, so why the change? It all just felt really shady/shifty; just wanted more money. Monday morning we cancelled the surgery, packed up the dog and came home. It's been a week since we left and we haven't heard a thing from them. We are so disappointed with the whole process!

Resolution response: May 7, 2018

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have low back and leg pain, saw their ADs on TV and looked into it. From the start they quoted me $8750 out of pocket surgery price. I gave them my credit card for the $250 for nurses consultation fee; the 40 minute consult phone call was to be made the following morning. In the mean time I called my insurance and they warned me that since LSI was non-preferred they could Balance Bill me (Google it). I called LSI right back and asked about that. All of a sudden my estimate rose to 15K when I balked, they came back at 13K. I promptly canceled my consultation call and asked for a credit on my credit card - all of this happened within one day.

I asked for the credit back 3 times over the last couple of weeks. All I received back were emails saying I needed to fill out and sign my paperwork. That was until today via email they told me the $250 was non-refundable even though I never received the nurse consultation service. Even though I canceled the service and the call, the nurse still called that next morning and I told her I canceled the call and I was surprised that so-and-so hadn't informed her.

I called my credit card company today and am challenging the charge. I've archived/printed all the exchange of emails. It's the principle; it may cost me a lot more than $250 but I will fight this charge all the way to small claims court if necessary. One huge question you should ask yourself before getting involved with this company; if this kind of surgery is so ground breaking why don't top notch prestigious research/treatment clinics-hospital-surgery centers like John Hopkins or The MAYO Clinic perform these type of surgeries?!

Original review: April 30, 2018

Lumbar surgery - Slowly getting better! Only 4 weeks after surgery and things are good. My back still feels weak but I can walk again. I know it's early but I have been suffering 4 long years with terrible pain in my right leg, hip. Now I am up and walking. Hope it lasts.

No response received
Original review: April 24, 2018

I am placing this review so that others in great pain will know not to trust the Laser Spine Institute. In desperate pain after fusion of c5 and c6, I contacted LSI for a 2nd opinion for fusions of c3-c7. I have been seeing a Neurosurgeon, been to physical therapy, and tried injections. The LSI representative asked for my latest MRI and my insurance information, which I provided.

I received a call back 4 days letting me know that I needed 5 surgeries (they think) and my insurance would pay for most of the procedures. If I had this done in FL it would be $9000+ out of pocket or I could go to OH or MO and pay $1000+ out of pocket. This confused me and I was told that different States have different out of pocket maximums for out of network providers. At this point I called my Insurance company, BCBS of GA. They told me that no one had called to verify my benefits except for myself within the last 15 days. Be warned... LSI is a scam, minimally invasive surgery and back to work in a few days... too good to be true. Go to a real Dr.

Laser Spine Institute Company Information