2. Health and Fitness
  3. Hospitals

Tampa, FL

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5
This company is out of businessFind other companies

Laser Spine Institute is the leader in minimally invasive spine surgery and has helped more than 75,000 patients find relief from chronic neck or back pain. Our outpatient procedures are performed in state-of-the-art facilities throughout the country, using a less than 1-inch incision and muscle-sparing techniques. This allows for a lower risk of infection and complication as well as a shorter recovery period compared to traditional open spine surgery.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Laser Spine Institute Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Laser Spine Institute?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Laser Spine Institute?

Original review: July 9, 2019

Dr. Jason ** fixed my back period. Not only is Dr ** very detailed about what needs to be done his staff in office, nurses, any and everyone he needs to help through the process are also professionals to the max. There will never be another choice better than Dr ** and his staff. If someone needs lower back surgery I would recommend Dr. **. PROFESSIONALISM at its best and caring happy professional people working for him. In the world we live in today a refreshing top-notch caring Doctor and staff. If anyone were to rate him less than 5 stars I would consider the source carefully. No person is perfect but I received perfection from this man of the highest character. Need back surgery there are I’m sure others who are good but if you want the best the name is Doctor Jason **.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I had back surgery there and it seemed to work for a few months then and now it’s worse than ever. Went back to find out why. Was told that they wanted more money to fix what I had already paid them for. If you’re smart you will stay away because they take your money and leave you worse off than you were proven by a pre-MRI and after!!! Please stay away. Please.

Get buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: June 10, 2019

Suppose to fix the disk area around L2. Dr. said it was bleeding too much so he couldn't fix it. What a joke. Still cost me $13,900 because of the rip off way they bill. Had the REAL surgery done at a real hospital and the surgeon fixed it with no problem and it didn't cost me a penny out of pocket. Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Had went to Laser Spine Institute in St. Louis Missouri 3 years ago. I can see why all of them have closed. Was suppose to have my back and neck done. After the first surgery on my back they clipped my spinal fluid sac, which I get things can happen in surgery, but to not fix it is another thing. I told them I had the worst headache, exact words to the doctor and the nurses is my head feels like a migraine would, but 100 times worse. I was told to go back to hotel and lay down and if it’s a CFS leak it will fix itself. It was so bad that my wife called in the middle of the night and again just lay down and call in the morning. First thing in the morning called and the nurse said to come in. Before I arrived my wife asked the nurse to have a bed ready because the only way I got any relief from the headache was to lay down, and it only helped a tiny bit.

We got to the Laser Spine and no bed is ready and we waited in the waiting room for an hour with nowhere to lay down and the bright lights in my eyes was horrific. No one seemed to care. It’s like we were a nuisance. Have never been treated so badly. I ended up back in a surgery where they did a blood patch procedure. Was sent back to motel still with a headache that would kill a horse and wasn’t better at all. Ended up in the emergency room by ambulance, and was denied care because another Dr did the surgery on me. They wanted no part of that. Sent back to Laser Spine and another surgeon put me back in surgery to try and find leak. He said he seen no leak, but re-patched everything again. Had a headache still when I woke up, but not as bad. Sent back to hotel and was told to go in next morning for my post-op.

Got there in the morning and felt about 1/4 better. The nurse said if I have any other problems give them a call and post-op appointment was over. Left that appointment and about 3 to 4 hours later I’ve got that headache back 100 percent. Called, left message for the nurse to call me back, no one would call me back. And in my medical records I received all the documents that showed when I called and the times, which the Dr that did the 2nd surgery said will not call patient back do to legality. So my wife was trying to figure out what to do, being that we are miles away from home in Wyoming, and the emergency room won’t help me, and the Laser Spine Institute won’t call me back to help we had to go back to Wyoming. I had to ride in the back of our Jeep all the way home in severe pain.

On the way back home I got a phone call from the Spine Institute asking me if I can come in the next morning for my neck surgery appointment. Unbelievable that all they cared about is getting me in for my neck when they haven’t even fixed my back. My wife asked them to please have the doctor call so we could tell him how bad I was doing, still no phone call. It took us a month before we could get a doctor to help me, all said the same thing (won’t take the risk since another Dr has done the surgeries). I finally got help from a great neurologist Dr ** in Cody Wyoming which helped me get a neurosurgeon Dr ** in Cody Wyoming. Dr ** fixed my spinal leak, my back, and my neck. Thank God for him. But since I went for so long with a spinal leak it has damaged my nerve for life.

If the Spine Institute would have done what is right and that is to fix what they did instead of doing nothing not even a call back I would be in a lot better condition than I am. It has affected everything on my left side and have been told by specialists my nerve is damaged for life. Went through 4 operations and 2 medical procedures and couldn’t work for a year. Also had to wait to have my neck done for about 2 years because I had too many surgeries in one year's time and needed time to heal from everything. Am very happy about them closing down. At least they can’t do this to someone else.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I had surgery in 2007, 2013 and 2015 at the Tampa LSI. The whole experience... price, the people, the doctors keep getting better and better with time. This is proof that LSI strives to improve always. Coming from Ontario, Canada, a 2.5 hour flight to Florida in the winter season to LSI was like a vacation for me. I was worried before my first surgery, but because my neck has multiple issues, it needed more. Normally, I'm an anxious person but I had complete faith that ANY further surgeries would turn out to be another success story. And it was!!

I have told my story to hundreds of people. It's normal to fear any surgery but this place does miracles, with thousands of patients returning to a normal life only weeks after surgery. One phone call then surgery one month later. It's worth traveling from Canada for this. Claim all the medical expenses with CRA later. I would not hesitate to go back. For my neck again. Even for my back. Thank you LSI staff. You are Angels. M. from Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

Original review: March 25, 2019

After I had lower back surgery for a pinched nerve in September 2018, I received one follow up appointment two weeks later and two phone calls after that. To this day I’m still in pain. I don’t believe their aftercare is anywhere near what it should be. I regret even calling them and wasting my time and money on the surgery.

Original review: March 23, 2019

On 2/15/19 I paid $250.00. Half of a $500 deposit to LSI. Was scheduled for surgery on 3/5/19 but on 3/1/19 I received a phone call from LSI to inform me that Laser Spine Institute has shut its doors and filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. When asked about a refund for my $250 the man chuckled at me and told me he would email the person that takes care of that. Still to this day I have not heard nothing or received one penny back.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Operated on Jan 4, 2019. Flew from Boston after paying $12,000.00 for disk operation that would result in less recovery time and minimal incision. Did not meet my surgeon until morning of operation.prior to actual op I was injected with needle which jabbed my bone and caused me pain. Waking after surgery and feeling like I needed the restroom, I was assisted out of bed and when I stood up I peed all over their floor, not having any control over my bladder, nor any feeling in my lower bodice. They informed me my spinal fluid leaked due to a nic and I was given too much fluid for my size. They had my weight and height prior but paid no heed; just careless. I was mortified.

The surgeon blamed the physiatrist for the nic who in turn claimed he was nowhere near that area. And they claimed no one gave me a shot prior to the surgeon entering the room but I showed them the injection spot left on my body. How else would I have been numbed up in that area? The next morning I couldn’t walk. Had such pain trying to lift my left leg where I had nerve pain. The pain worsened so called the institute for help. Was told they were not open on Sunday so would have to wait. It only got worse so phoned later and talked with a woman who told me to get myself to a hospital or clinic. So took a cab to St Joseph’s where they gave me something strong for the pain and Mri with contrast to check the point of operation on L4 disk.

Everything looked good but discovered my piriformis muscle was the culprit and gave me script for muscle relaxer, I returned to my room around 12 midnight and called the institute mon morn. They scheduled me for physical therapy sessions on the piriformis muscle which helped a lot but nerve pain still present so Dr ordered a steroid shot in my hip joint which made matters worse because now I could not move my hip without pain. He added insult to injury. I had to extend my stay another week which cost me another $1276.00.

I elected to have surgery because of nerve pain so I could hike in Italy in the spring and there I wax worse off than when I arrived for surgery. They gave me exercises to do for the buttocks muscles plus pain and muscle relaxers for my trip home. They were very careless in the surgical room even for the fact they knew prior to surgery I was a high risk patient but took no extra care for me. I was livid. It is now mid March and I am still having nerve pain although it is not as intense since the disk was shaved back but the majority of problems stemmed from that piriformis muscle which they never considered.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I went in for one surgery, I was told 2 was recommended and I had them both done! Laser Spine Institute in Philadelphia helped with flight changes and hotel stay as well as rides to and from hotel! I am now very active. I lift weights every day and can now bench 315 without any pain. I am slowly working on dead lift and squat, but wow I feel amazing considering I couldn’t even. Walk or sit without pain. Thank you for all that you have done for me!!!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
      Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

On February 5, 2019 I contacted LSI on behalf of my husband's back problems to see if he might be a candidate for their facility. Ross ** quickly called me and got information. I faxed a copy of the MRI report to him that day or the next. I have not heard anything else from him, and neither have I been able to reach him on the direct line he gave me. I did leave a voice message, but still no reply. I'm thinking after reading some of the other customer experiences that these people are a fraud. If you don't get good customer service before they get your money, imagine what it will be like afterwards. I'm done with them.

Laser Spine Institute Company Information