Tampa, FL

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I had 2 cervical surgeries at LSI Philly facility, 10/1/2014 and 2/4/2015. My MRI showed spinal stenosis, bone spurs, in 2 areas: C 4-5 and C5-6. I had a nerve block on 9/30/2014 to determine what area was giving my toe most pain at that time, and that revealed that C5-6 was worst. So on 10/1/2014 I had the LSI minimal invasive procedure, but at home my Dr. wanted to do a conventional fusion, and there are MANY side effects with this procedure. After that procedure, my left arm was still quite weak and there was still minimum movement, so another MRI review showed that C 4-5 was the bad area now.

So on 2/4/2015 I had surgery on that section. After that, what a huge difference that made. Today, 2/4/2016, 1-year post op, I deem myself to be 95% healed and I have almost full rotation and up and down movement. LSI for me was the perfect choice for Cervical surgery. I will say to people who need to have surgery on their neck or back to give LSI a call. I saw their TV commercial, gave them a call, and now my neck is a whole lot better than with a conventional fusion.

My experience was awesome, they gave me my life back, so now I can live a better life without pain just in time to enjoy my grandbabies that are due in the next two months.

I am 54 years old and I had been in chronic back pain since a horseback riding accident when I was 17. I had tried acupuncture, physical therapy, chiropractic, bio-electric therapy, yoga, inversion therapy, massage and drugs. Then in September of 2015, I felt something "give" in my back and suddenly my pain increased 10-fold! I could not straighten up. I could not walk more than 30 feet. I could not sleep. I could not work. Every moment was horrible, nauseating, wrenching pain.

I got an MRI and sent it to LSI. They approved my surgery and scheduled it within a week. Every moment of my experience was amazing. Everyone was so caring and professional. Right after my surgery, I could stand up straight. I could walk without pain for the first time in 37 years. No one should have to wait decades for spinal surgery! Get it as soon as you can! I have a brand new pain-free life. I am so grateful to LSI and every one of their staff! Don't wait!

Laser Spine Institute started with a phone call. After 2 years and 13 epidural steroid shots there were no options available with my local specialists. I didn't know if they could help me so I cooperated with their wants and needs to get records, insurance and other information. Their staff took care of everything to get me scheduled. The Dr., nurses and staff successfully set me up for surgery.

I had lumbar surgery on the 18th then five days later cervical surgery on the 23rd. The Dr. and staff called me to follow up several times after surgery and before post op to ask how I was doing with both surgeries. The after surgery care was exceptional. My Doctor was very informative and caring. LSI has called me at every 2-4 weeks, sometimes two or three times a week, after surgery to follow up my progress and advise me of any questions I had. I am highly recommending anyone who thinks LSI cannot help them to call them anyway. It was the best decision I've ever made.

I have nothing but the highest praise for the staff, facility and my entire experience with LSI. As the commercial says it has given back what I remember it was like before my back issue. I recommend LSI to anyone who wants to be what they were before their neck/back problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Laser Spine Institute?

I have nothing but good things to say about LSI. This was the most amazing experience that I have ever had with a medical institution, and I've had many! One night I was crying in pain as I had many nights before over the past 6 years. At 3 AM, the commercial for LSI came on. I decided I would just get on the internet and send my name in for some information. At 8 AM, that morning someone from LSI called me. She told me that they were going to help me, and she wasn't lying. Two weeks later my surgery was scheduled. When we were there we were treated wonderful by every person that worked in that facility. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, even if they weren't a part of our care they would stop and speak to us. I am doing so much better. I now have a life. I can do things I haven't done in years!!! I appreciate everything they have done for me, as well as the follow up calls to check on me. Thank you LSI. You are awesome!

From the first phone call to walking into your office for the first time, to walking out and heading home after surgery I had the BEST experience. You have the friendliest, kindest, most caring, loving staff. They also took my caregiver under their wing. I have told everyone who would listen about my experience and the best place to have back surgery. My sister went to your St Louis office for her back surgery. We have a business friend who is working on getting his back surgery done with you too. The BEST experience ever. Thank you for giving me my life back and for letting me be able to play with my grand children, one of who is special needs. I missed not being able to do anything with him. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Factual basis uncertain

I was desperate for back pain relief. Contacted LSI. They treated us like royalty. When I asked them about my insurance (Blue Cross-Blue Shield) I found out BCBS doesn't recognize LSI. When I asked LSI how much this was going to cost me they told me they had a department that dealt in nothing but insurance refunds for their patients and not to worry. When I pressed them for figures the guy told me "I've never gotten less than $22,000 back from insurance companies" but that he couldn't give me an exact figure. That was a lie!!!

After I paid LSI $30,000 up front I got a procedure that did me absolutely no good whatsoever but they offered to do another one for another $30,000. I told them I wanted to see how much they were going to get from BCBS. They got a little over $3,000 back for me!!! I called BCBS and they gave me exactly the amount they would reimburse me or the procedures I got. LSI could have done that for me but they lied to me! They are crooks and don't really use lasers for their procedures. They are a bunch of lying crooks and lots of lawsuits have been filed against them and are pending resolution. As my neurosurgeon said they provide a "one size fits all" surgery.

Factual basis uncertain

I was seeing Dr ** at the Laser Spine Institute in Waco Texas. After a few visits I received a call from the office. They told me they would not see me anymore. I asked why and I was told they only saw one Medicare patient a year. My supplemental insurance was United Health Care. I actually think the dr didn't know how to treat me and used my insurance as an excuse. The Dr had a Terrible Personality. I highly recommend you go somewhere else.

Laser Spine Institute

We are glad to hear about your progress! Finding relief is important and it is great to hear we could help you reach your goals after you had exhausted conservative treatment options. Keep up the good work listening to your body and promoting your spine health. If you do have any postoperative questions, please be sure to contact your Spine Line for assistance. We are here for you!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I had pain and discomfort for many years in the lower back region and in Sept. 2015 it advanced to the point I couldn't walk 50 feet without the pain starting. It became difficult for me to stand and talk to people at work as well as walk around the plant without sitting down occasionally. I began therapy from a local Chiropractor who prescribed a program of therapy, four times a week. To relieve the pain being caused by a bulging disc and a herniated disc. By January 2016 I had achieved significant improvement, but still had pain and my quality of life hadn't been restored. My Dr. modified the program to more aggressively decompress the bulging disc and herniated disc, but after four months, little improvement had occurred. We had another MRI taken to see what, if any, improvement was shown. At this point he suggested I contact LSI for their opinion and possible help.

LSI reviewed my MRI and said they could help me. We scheduled more tests and pre-op meetings on June 27th & 28th. The Dr. confirmed LSI could help me and surgery was performed on June 29th. The surgery was successful and gave me immediate relieve. I only took two painkillers the evening following surgery. After a follow up meeting with the Dr. on June 30th my wife drove us home, and on July 1st I began walking 1-1-.5 miles twice per day - pain free and haven't looked back! I have achieved 100% recovery and wish I could have had the procedure performed years ago. My quality of lifestyle has returned and I try to walk 2-5 miles per day.

I have had lower back pain for approximately 3 years. It started off as something that I could overlook and get on with my day. I then had my first child. With the constant bending over and getting her out of the crib with not being able to rest and recuperate it got a lot worse. I went to 2 different spine doctors (both said all they could do was a fusion), chiropractor, physical therapy (made it worse), acupuncture. I also had pain management with 3 different injections that did not help my pain. After all of this I called LSI out of pure hope. It was to the point that I couldn't get on the ground and play with my toddler because of the pain. After talking with a nurse practitioner I was very concerned with going with LSI.

She explained that the people who operate on you are not actual doctors. I found this hard to believe so I contacted LSI and they sent me mounds of information on how they are accredited and the background of each of their doctors and anesthesiologist. After receiving this information I felt at ease and was very excited to see what they could do for me. I was still cautious because I read reviews about how people would go in and then find out that they were not able to help. Going in with this open mind helped me out because I didn't want to feel let down again. Once my wife and I arrived we were treated very good and welcomed to the facility. After some breakfast I was seen by a couple of different people and then had my imaging down with a new MRI and X-ray. After this I went back to my hotel and waited on a call to find out the result.

I then met with my surgeon and he went over the MRI and what he saw and how he could help. I never felt pressure of any kind to go through with the surgery and after meeting with him I finally felt like I was going to get this all resolved. The next day I had my surgery and again everything ran smoothly and on point. I was treated like I was the only one they were seeing on that day, even though they had a full schedule. After some physical therapy (didn't hurt this time) to get my muscles back working in the right way I feel like a new person. I am back running, lifting weights and more importantly I can now spend quality time with my child pain free. I would just warn anyone who goes into this to be patient and optimistic. They can't help everybody but they sure helped me. All insurances won't be accepted and that is not their fault. Just keep an open mind.

Laser Spine Institute

Caring for all of our patients is a top priority for us! We wish you well as you continue to seek treatments to reach your pain relief goals.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

I am a retired US Army Lieutenant Colonel suffering from some numbness, aching and weakness in my arms. Local physicians diagnosed it as related to cervical spine issues. Additionally I suffered from tingling right leg pains attributed to DDD in the lumbar region. I decided to call LSI and ask for some help. After receiving my referral I drove to LSI and began diagnostics. They did complete X-rays and MRIs and located what they thought was the culprit. During the process I consulted with three doctors of ascending seniority, including one of the lead surgeons. During each of the consults, and completely separate from each other, each doctor recommended not doing surgery on the lower region as the difficulty was not severe enough to warrant the risks of any surgery.

Three different docs who did not consult with each other came to the same recommendation to not do surgery. That is patient consideration. But two nerve blocks failed to isolate the pain in my arms thought to be from the cervical region. They directed an EMG test and return for more diagnostics. I completed the EMG and returned for more diagnostics. EMG review showed carpal tunnel syndrome. They performed a final nerve block to ensure they identified or eliminated the cervical issue. The nerve block did not relieve any pain. I made a final consult with the surgeon who decided against surgery and recommended I address the tunnel carpal issues with my local physicians since the spinal analysis was not indicating as the source of pain.

The coordinating staff was top notch, handling requests and appointments professionally and quickly. I felt important at each step of the process. They use a production line approach to processing which allows them to handle many patients efficiently, but they still treated me with respect and consideration at each encounter. This is not easy when your model is efficiency over individual patient processing. I want to thank them for not recommending back surgery and sending me back to my local specialists to address the real cause of the discomfort. LSI does it well and does it right. If in the future my back presents symptoms, LSI is first on the list for potential treatment centers.

Laser Spine Institute

Thank you for sharing your progress with us! We are glad that we could help you and that your surgery made such a good impression on your primary doctor. If you need anything during your recovery, please don't hesitate to call your Spine Line.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

I have degenerative disc disease at the age of 52. My main problems were in the neck, C3-7, which led to pain in my right arm, which over a period of several months reached my middle and index fingers, and they would throb with pain. Eventually the entire right arm would randomly tingle and then just go numb. I knew I needed medical intervention as I had been hoping it would go away. Rather than prolong the experience by experimenting with chiropractic and acupuncture treatments, I decided to research a real FIX.

I had seen the commercials for LSI repeatedly on TV, and mentioned it to my primary care doctor. He immediately shook his head and dismissed the idea. I knew that, at age 78, he was probably not on the cutting edge of this technology, pardon the pun. I now had to proceed without his blessing and without his referral. I contacted LSI and got the ball rolling with my MRI, which showed the disc damage.

Over a period of nearly a month, they consulted my insurance and got an (apparent) approval, described to me in detail what the surgery entailed, the amount of time required to go through pre-op testing, post-op recovery etc. I chose the Phoenix location, mapped out all the details: a care companion (my sister), the hotels nearby with shuttle service, the prescriptions required. My week spent with Laser Spine was like staying at a spa. The facility was top notch, spacious, comfortable, all meals and drinks provided, TVs and lounges throughout the waiting area, pharmacies nearby.

Everyone there treated me like I was at a resort and catered to my every comfort. Nearly everyone was pleasant with a great sense of humor and ready smile. There were a few individuals who were "all business" and not so personable. But they were efficient and got their jobs done during a whirlwind first week of one appointment after the other in their gorgeous facility.

The surgery itself was a breeze. I didn't need more than one night of pain killers. My arm was pain and numbness free! No funny side effects or scary moments. Everyone there was a true professional. There were a few hiccups, as one should expect from life in general. The biggest hiccup was when I returned home and my insurance company phoned me and told me they refused to pay the claim! Because I went out of network and was not referred (and also went out of State), they tried to deny it, even though they had somehow approved it beforehand. Thankfully, a very smart lady at my insurance company saw the pragmatic benefits of approving this type of surgery: no overnight hospitalization, quick treatments, no complications, and comparatively cheaper surgery. I think I set a precedent for my insurance company.

My home doctor also saw the light, and agreed that it was indeed the right thing to do and was very pleased at my recovery and results. He is now a believer in laser spinal surgery. I would do it again, no questions asked. I heartily recommend this institute and type of treatment for anyone considering going the old route, with cutting of bone, large visible scars, and lengthy painful recoveries in hospitals. This is the new frontier for back surgery. In the same way Lasik surgery took the ophthalmic world by storm several decades ago, and the insurance companies gradually came around to embrace it as the best solution for eye problems, so too is LSI the pioneer in back surgery. There is nothing to be afraid of, in my experience.

Factual basis uncertain

Laser Spine Institute told me that they could "fix" my chronic pain issues in my neck & that my insurance would cover the surgery at their Scottsdale clinic. When I paid my down payment & traveled on Airplane to Scottsdale, rented a car, & a Hotel for a week I went to the institute the Doctor told me that the surgery only covers 1 part of my C-7. I was very angry because I felt like I was lied to. I told the "sales person" many times that I have C-7 to C-4 issues & I asked the guy if this surgery would deal with the C-7 to C-4 issues. He told me they had a great success rate with my issues. Never telling me that I would need 8 total surgeries to fix my neck At $10k each surgery. He also lied about my Health Insurance covering their clinic.

I had already paid a non-refundable payment. Well, long story short, my insurance didn't cover it (I found out after my Surgery) & it didn't do anything for my pain. If you come across these scammers please do not buy their song & dance. I wish I spent the $10k (I had no choice but to pay for the surgery) on a regular neck fusion! I would have less pain by now.

Laser Spine Institute

Thanks for sharing with us! We’re so happy to hear we could help you on your journey to recovery. Remember to follow the postoperative instructions you were given, and give our Spine Line a call if you have any questions.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

After suffering for months with severe pain in my lower back which was not alleviated with either medication or physical therapy I made a consultation appointment with the Laser Spine Institute in Tampa. After this initial appointment I was convinced that they would be able to help me & scheduled surgery. My instinct was 100% correct. The procedure I received has given me back my life. I am now completely pain-free & can now perform all the activities I was unable to do prior to surgery such as exercising, traveling & socializing. Thank you LSI!

Factual basis uncertain

I was experiencing severe back pain that prevented me from sleeping or driving more than an hour. I had to get up during the night to stop the pain. I sent them my recent MRI, and they scheduled a surgery that they said my MRI showed nerve impingement. In the meantime, I scheduled appointments with two other local doctors, one my regular doctor and the other a Neurosurgeon in Nashville. They both said that I didn't need surgery, and after some other treatments without surgery, my pain is now tolerable and I can sleep at night and drive. The whole point here is that LSI was more than eager to do a surgery that I really didn't need. Surgery should always be a last resort. If you're not bent on surgery, get a second opinion, and be wary of LSI. They will cut you whether you need it or not.

Laser Spine Institute

We are glad we could help you get back to the things you love most. If you have any questions about your recovery, please be sure to call our Spine Line so that we can help you with the best plan of care. Thank you for your kind words and for sharing how well you are doing.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I had severe back pain for the past 23 years stemming from an injury. I walked with a limp for years that apparently was painful for my family and friends to watch. I just lived with it thinking there was nothing else available to me to do. I dealt with the pain with OTC pain medications, traction, chiropractic care but finally made the decision to have an evaluation at Laser Spine Institute. I consulted with my primary care physician and we agreed this was the best option for my situation. The evaluation was thorough and my consultation with the physicians and nurses was helpful, comprehensive, and fit my needs and circumstances.

The arrangements for pre-operative and post operative care was superb, thorough and simple. I am a nurse practitioner and am fully aware of all it take from beginning to end for a surgery to run successfully, smoothly and efficiently. All the written materials were clear, thorough and well thought out. The staff was fantastic at every step of the way and follow up phone calls and visits were so helpful.

I am able to walk long distances with no limping and comfortably when I had been only able to walk very short distances. I am now teaching a high intensity water aerobics class in my village and have lost weight, sleep much better, move comfortably and feel my quality of life has been so richly improved and enhanced. I occasionally experience some twinges of discomfort not pain but generally it is a result of over working rather than sitting for long periods of time as I was before surgery.

My life expectancy has no doubt been improved and certainly my quality of life has far surpassed what I thought could possibly have been available considering my situation. I am so appreciative of being able to have had this procedure done and the outcome and subsequent success has been simply outstanding. Thank you to everyone who made this possible.

Laser Spine Institute

This is great to hear we were able to help you and that you were able to help so many others by sharing our message. We appreciate all that you do and we are glad to hear about your progress!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

My surgery is a success since June 13, 2016. I suffered daily of an L5 S1 sciatica pain, disrupted my whole life, my work, family, attitude, health entirely. I slept in pain as well. Could not sit longer than 10 to 15 minutes daily, struggling. Went to chiropractor for TEMPORARY Pain Relief for 4 months 2 to 3 times a week at his office. I have taken my husband in 2009 to LSI. He's doing fantastic still. I have sent an attorney friend to LSI in Jan. 2016. She is doing great too! I took my niece a week after my surgery June 24, 2016 and she's doing great. I have a builder that needs LSI and he is currently going online to set up with LSI. My brother in law is considering LSI. He's from N. Carolina, he's in severe back pain, fell off a ladder. Need I say more? All of them at LSI are god given and everything you need from start to finish in a thoughtful, kind way to get their patients HAPPY and on living their lives! Many blessings to all...

Laser Spine Institute

Thank you for the strong recommendation. We are glad to hear we could help you get your life back!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I can only 'sing high praise' for LSI in regards to my treatment, care, and support during all phases of the process. Before, during and after my procedure I was treated very warmly, kindly and by first class professionals. I had to travel to St. Louis from Colorado and had no surprises. My procedure and recovery went as expected and as discussed. I highly recommend LSI!

After sending them mri I was not able to get a definitive answer on what exactly they would do for me. I had booked the visit to see them and they took my $250 deposit and would not refund. They are just after the $ and please ask your local Doctors their opinion of them. It's amazing how low their opinion is!

Laser Spine Institute

You are very welcome. We are glad we could help and that you would recommend us. If you have any questions during your recovery, please be sure to contact our Spine Line!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

Lumbar Back Procedure - The staff and facility are great. I'm about 90% whole and consider the surgery a success. Thanks LSI for giving me back a quality of life. I will gladly refer friends to LSI.

Laser Spine Institute

We are glad to hear you are doing well and that we were able to provide you with an alternative! During your recovery, please don't hesitate to contact our Spine Line if you have any questions. Thanks for visiting Laser Spine Institute!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I am more than happy with the results. Previously I was told that I needed the removal of three discs, a fusion and metal rods. At LSI I had a small incision. I was up and walking an hour after surgery. Thank you LSI.

I have had back issues almost my whole life. I have had two back surgeries: one on my L5 and one on my T6-T7 (done at the Mayo clinic). The T6 disc was causing me issues and instead of going back to Mayo I thought I would reach out to LSI to see if they could help. I spoke with Roth who was my coordinator. He looked at the MRI report and all my history (I spend a lot of time on the phone with him). He told me after speaking with some of the Drs that even though the area of my back was a rare place that they could help. I went over the billing information many times. They wanted $1000 ($250 to make the appt and $750 right before surgery) upfront for the surgery and then they would bill my insurance. Now if my insurance denies the claim then I would owe nothing else. I also asked that if they could not help me for some reason that they would refund me my $250 and I would owe nothing.

This is the trick part. The answer is no I would not owe anything but they would bill my insurance for whatever testing is done. Fast forward to the first day appt. I go in and tell them everything (again). I keep getting told "yep, we can help". Now mind you we drove 600 miles and spent 3 nights in a motel costing us well over $500 for the trip. On the 2nd day they wanted to do a new MRI and X-rays on the thoracic area (the one I brought them was less than 3 WEEKS old). And since I had surgery before on my lower back they wanted an MRI and X-rays on that area. I had no idea why but ok. I asked while there if I would be charged again for these images. The answer I got was "We will bill your insurance and if we get anything great, if not then no you will not be charged". ANYONE who heard that would feel like... "Ok, really no risk to me and if they lose money on doing a pointless scan that's up to them."

3rd day I met with the anesthesiologist who I again went over my history at which during he told me... "I'm not sure we even have a surgeon who deals with the Thoracic region on staff this week (which confused me. They knew I was coming and what I was coming for). Then he also tells me that they may not be able to do surgery because I told them that the disc was Calcified. He said the lasers can't get through it. Ok so now I'm MAD. I had told everyone from Roth down to every person I spoke with for the last two days about this and JUST then they tell me they might not be able to help. They send me over to another place to do a CT (as they didn't have equipment for doing a CT). They get the results and call me that night that they can not help.

I was refunded my $250 and moved on with my life until about two months later and get two bills in the mail from them. One was well over 6000 and the other over 1500. I call and talk to a woman who said "Oh, I see here you didn't have the surgery. That is our billing mistake. No worries you don't owe anything." So I ignore - move on with my life again. 6 months later (AKA last month) I get a call from them (guy's name is Jordan) wanting to "check up" on me. Turns out it was a collection call (internally). I explained everything that happened and that I have already been told I don't owe anything. He told me "oh ok well we do have to bill the insurance and so whatever they don't pay it will just sit on the account but no worries". I then confirm with him that it won't affect my credit or anything like that. He says that it won't as it's all internal.

Then yesterday I get a bill again (funny how I didn't get any for a long long time). I called into them and now they are saying that I owe the 1500 amount as that is what they billed my insurance for and because I had not met the deductible I owe that amount. All that was on there was the two MRIs, two X-rays and Two office visits (as those were the only codes my insurance would accept). Now I keep going back to that conversation about they would bill the insurance and if they get anything, great but if not no worries.

This was a VERY misleading comment. If I would have known that they would bill my insurance and if I had not met my deductible they would come after me I would have NEVER allowed them to do new images that were not needed. And the charges of the office visits are a complete joke. They did NOTHING for me there. Be very aware that they are out for your money and will mislead you to get it.

I had surgery on Feb. 29th. I never had any relief. I was told for about 3 months it was inflammation causing my pain. During this time they would not allow me to see or talk to the doctor. I could only speak to the support team. Over 5 months later I still have had no relief! Now they are releasing me to return to work even though I am no better than I was before surgery. Remember if sounds too good to be true, it usually is!!! Live and learn!

Had lower back Surgery in April 2016. Staff was excellent, help you through the whole process, from the time you call them to walking you through the entire process. My great results since my surgery, have not had any lower back pain since the surgery.

After too many years with pain I reached my threshold of pain. I was contemplating suicide. No pain killers worked, no treatment. I had surgery 4 months ago. Woke up no pain after all the years of pain. That's a miracle. I haven't even taken an aspirin. Thank you.

I suffered from low back pain for several years. I would especially hurt if I had to stand in one spot for any length of time. Pushing a cart at the grocery was agony. In the past year, I began to have pain in my calves in the morning as well as the lower back pain. As the day wore on and I was active, it would get better. While watching an NCAA Basketball Tournament game, I saw an ad for Laser Spine Institute. I had seen their ads in the past but decided it might be worth talking to them this time.

After sending them my most recent MRI, they told me I was a good candidate, that they treated my kind of ailment almost every day. I decide to go to the St. Louis clinic for evaluation and surgery. While there, I was treated with great care and kindness. Dr. Troy ** performed my surgery, which involved trimming two ligaments which has thickened with age and were pushing on the nerves. After 14 weeks now, my pain is gone and I am back to full activities. My golf game had suffered due to my back pain and a bad hip, which I had surgically repaired last August. My game is continually improving now, almost back to where I was before I began to have the pain. I am very grateful to Dr. ** and all the staff at LSI for giving me my life back.

Had severe back pain and went down to Tampa to get help. Cost me 1,000 dollars out of pocket plus another 300 dollars hidden cost and they did more damage than they did good. After 8 to 10 weeks after I started hurting again so I called them. They gave me the runaround and said I would have to return for more procedures. Got opinions from 1 spine doctor and three neuro Drs. and all ask why they had removed hardware from my back L5 and S1 when it was clear on the MRI and x-rays there was a nonunion. Now 8 months later they send me another bill. I just had to get my spine fused from T-10 to S1 because of the removal of hardware they had done in Oct. of 2015. Surely there has to be some kind of law against this practice.

I'm a 72-year-old male, reasonably good shape, who recently experienced an extruded disk injury. We found Laser Spine Institute from their advertising. We contacted them by phone, submitted lots of data as requested (including MRI and previous medical reports plus insurance info). After their review, we were told that my medical condition met their guidelines and we scheduled a meeting at their Scottsdale facility not far from our home. The facility is very impressive, and our interview with a Dr. ** was quite revealing to us. Long story short, he explained that my injury was definitely repairable. Good news for us, so then we were ushered into an office with their financial councilor.

It was only then that we learned that Medicaid will not cover the entire cost of the procedure, and that the balance -- about $14,000 -- will be on us. And no, don't count on our supplemental insurance to pick up anything more than perhaps $1,000 or so "if we were fortunate". I understand that LSI is a business and not a public hospital. We assumed -- incorrectly, as it turned out -- that after reviewing the insurance data I originally submitted they would let us know of any out-of-pocket costs before inviting us to the interview. But no, it doesn't work that way. Instead, we went to the interview thinking the insurance we had would cover their service. While we haven't decided not to pursue laser surgery, I was quite disappointed that our LSI sales rep did not tell us upfront that my supplemental insurance would not cover the difference between what Medicare paid and the final cost. Just my 2 cents.

I had lower back pain and left leg pain and with the laser surgery all of the lower back pain and most of the leg pain is gone. I have not felt this good in over twenty years. It is amazing that you can go from pain to almost no pain and feel so much better. I would recommend this type of surgery to anyone that has this type of pain. I would have to say that this is the best thing that I have ever had done and it has been a wonderful experience.

Laser Spine Institute Company Profile