Multiple California Locations

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Western Dental & Orthodontics Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

After knowing about complaints regarding WD, and reading that they have been sued many times, the idiot that I am, I go back to them! The office is less than 10min from my house, so sucker that I am, I go b/c it's close! I have insurance now, so I looked on the insurance website to find them in the network. First time I try to make an appointment, the office says that they are not in the network. After several calls to my insurance and going in with the right provider phone number they accept the insurance. They inform me that some services may not be covered by insurance. I ask at the front desk, "How much more?" I'm told by the lady that she does not know, they have to start first. I'm called for x-rays and then wait for the doctor. The doctor informs me that she is going to an dental implant procedure to restore the left side of my mouth, whole mouth, $47,200+! But wait! The doctor is so kind, she is going to help.

Ditch my insurance, extend my CareCredit to $10,000 and the bill to WD will only be $13,000 for a total of $23,000. The condo I live in now I paid $50,000 for. OK, I've been to three different dentist this year and paid $900 for a root canal and $900 for a crown. In all of the x-rays I've had no other dentist told me that I needed a tooth extraction until today! My complaint is that when I was leaving the office, I was informed that my insurance does not pay for whole mouth x-ray with pictures, $94.000. Thanks for coming in. WD are crooks. They take the respect out of the trade of robbing people by adding insult to injury... going after people's money when they know some people can't pay! DO NOT GO TO WD!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

My experience at the Hanford office is an eye-opener. First of all, the first day is no waiting at all. They right away took my x-rays, and gave an appointment for consultation with the doctor. The first doctor was nice and then it went downhill after we signed the contract. One appointment I was there at 8:30 for my 8:45 appointment. 45 minutes later, they took me to the dentist chair where I waited, I kid you not four solid hours. They were too busy. I was too hungry because it was past my lunch hour. They are not even professional enough to let me go to a different appointment date if they are going to be more than an hour from treating me. They even have a poster that says, "Our waiting time is two hours or more. Please be patient."

I was asking if I could have implants, so they suggested I get another x-ray and appointment with another specialist to give me advice. Another appointment, they added the cost to my contract. After three specialist and x-rays, (Yes, they do not have a resident dentist in that area. Instead, they have a different doctor each time you visit) who had different opinions each time, they were charging me for each visit and each x-ray. Of course, different specialists have different opposing opinions, so even though nothing tangible is happening to my person, my bill is getting huge.

Finally, they wanted me to get a tooth extraction. Well before the extraction, they fitted me to a tray in my mount -- to get a better fit on the dentures, they say. Well, during the tooth extraction, the doctor said I needed two bone grafts, to better fit the dentures, he said. That added another $800.00 to my bill, and since I am under anesthesia, and I am not a medical person, I reluctantly agreed.

Each time the doctor makes suggestion, they had me sign more amendments to the cost. They had me come one week later to see how my gums were healing. Another bill for a three second look see from their specialist. They said this is necessary because they can address infections or such. Then another fitting on the gums, but this one is one of five other fittings, so five other appointments before I even see the dentures. Then they brought another tray, just to make sure that there is a perfect fit for the dentures. Another very uncomfortable tray fitting. Finally, the dentures came, but these are just temporary ones. The real ones would, as they said, be perfect. I should hope so, because I already wasted seven trips with all the fittings, each one I did not know were being added to my final bill.

The permanent ones came. Oh-oh, they are very painful in my mouth. Besides, I could not close my mouth because there is a gap to my mouth. Obviously, they must have made a mistake. I told them I could not talk, close my mouth, or let alone bite into anything with them. The dentist told me to keep them in my mouth and suffer the pain, because these are new ones, I can adjust in two weeks.

Three weeks later, I still have the stabbing pain in my gums each time I wear them. The doctor says this is but natural for new dentures. But, "doctor, how come I could not talk without gagging or could eat anything with them". He said they just needed a little adjustment. So I had a series of appointments with, not a dentist, but dental technician to chisel the imperfections.

After the fifth attempt to fit them into my mouth without pain and to at least be able to perfectly close my mouth so I can function as a normal human being, they said they cannot do anything to it. I told them that maybe another denture is appropriate because clearly, this does not fit my gums or even my mouth. With them inside my mouth, I can only talk with a slur, and since I go to school, I do not want anybody taking me to the hospital thinking I am having a stroke. I speak like I just had a stroke every time the dentures are in my mouth, I said to them. They said that unless I am willing to pay for a new set, they cannot help me because that is too much money. That I do not need to go them anymore because they can not help me.

Now I am stuck with an $8,500.00 bill, for an unsatisfactory experience and then after two years of paying them, I cannot even afford to go pay for a real competent dentist in my area. After paying them for two years, I still owe them more than three thousand dollars. They arrange with me an automatic bill pay, which I agreed as long as they won't bother me again. Who would have thought that not only are they staffed with incompetent dental people, but the office bill collectors are as well. I got a bill from them that states that they are automatically getting paid from my checking account.

A few days later, I kept getting calls from them all throughout the day, collecting money again. I told them I do not want to be bothered and besides, I got crappy service from them and absolutely no use for their product, which, by the way, they are not willing to take back because they said, "We cannot re-use the product ourselves and it would be too expensive for us to replace it for you. Just go somewhere else to help you with your own problem."

Well, right now, I am out of money and cannot afford to go to a real dentist because of the humongous bill they kept sending me. I do not believe they even took out the denture bill, which is absolutely no use to me. They are telling me to pay up on the automatic machine they use to harass me with or suffer bad credit score. I may have to sue them to get justice for this hellish nightmare for trusting them with my business.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I am writing this review because Western Dental has completely violated everything regarding my complaint against them. They pulled the wrong tooth, leaving the infected tooth in my mouth. When I confronted them, their office manager was outrageously rude and did not allow me to confront the dentist. I then filed complaints against them which they failed to respond to, failed to furnish my dental records until I retained an attorney, then upon receipt of those records discovered they either omitted, altered, and or wrote completely untrue statements about what occurred.

I have been fighting them for 9 months. In order to sue them, I have to have disposable funds, which as a disabled senior I don't have, so I'm forced to take them to small claims, and how do I fight their lies? The CA dental review board stated they would only get involved if the offending dentist made a habit of pulling the wrong tooth. Can you believe that! Western Dental should get their license to practice revoked or put on suspension for the way they handle things. I intend to do as much as I can to get justice for their dishonesty.

Original review: July 23, 2016

Western dental is unfortunately in my network. I went in for a cleaning in TRACY, CA. I told them I only wanted a cleaning. They commenced to do like 15 X-rays which they only used 4... 4 X-rays and charged my insurance and myself. They over billed my care credit account by 190.00 of course it took them 24 hours to bill my care credit and almost 2 month later still has not repaid their mistake. I have called many times, been put on hold from 10 to 20 minutes each time. IT HAS BEEN ALMOST 2 months and they have not credited back the 190.00 over they charged my care credit account. I am collecting finance charges on the mistake these idiots made. Charged me in 2 days but at the same time sent me myself a bill, then a late fee for the same exact amount they charged my care credit.

So #1 billed my insurance, #2 billed my Care Credit, #3 sent me the exact same bill. They are flat out criminals. While I was there a little man comes and tells me I need fillings and the silver will be in the 60 dollar range and the white will be in the 70 dollar range I get to the counter the receptionists says they will be from 90 dollars to 120 dollars. I call the Corporate Office. I got transferred to 4 different people and none of them could help me and to file a grievance which I will and report to the BBB and maybe go to small claims court. Lost money, time and sanity. This is the worst criminal activity I have seen followed by the worst customer service I have ever seen in a company that calls themselves a business.

Original review: July 19, 2016

I go to the Western Dental in El Cerrito, CA. I get my braces and general there. No issues with braces except in the beginning long waiting period, I decided to do my general dentist there. In April I got a crown done. Gave my down payment and was set on a payment plan. On April 27, 2016 I made another payment of 140. About a week later I got a phone call from corporate saying my payment was late. I explained I paid and I have my receipt. I checked my receipt and saw the girl put it under the wrong account. I went to the office immediately and they took copies. Said it would be fixed in a week. When I got my contract bill I saw a payment of 127.40, which I later found out they paid it under the wrong account and reversed it immediately.

Anyways in June a lady actually sat down and reviewed my account because my insurance covered 484 dollars for my crown and Western Dental charged me 623 because they thought my insurance didn't cover it. I got a printout of my receipt and owed 493.80 from what the lady fixed. I was overcharged 500 dollars. In July I made my monthly payment and it's saying I owe 900 dollars. I asked the girl that isn't right. She said keep my receipts and "wait until you make another payment." I called the corporate office but all they tell me is it's the office who has to fix it and when I call the workers don't know if the manager's in. But when the corporate office calls they say she won't be in today. So I still have to get my account fixed, which I thought since the lady made adjustments it was good, guess not. Some of the receptionist are unprofessional and ignorant.

After this experience I will not go back for my general, and I am hoping I can finish with braces over there because I wish I would have done research and went to a private dental office because I would have gotten way better service. If they don't fix it I might just take them to small claims court or something because my insurance paid a portion which they did not inform me and were still charging me the full amount. I'll file a complaint with my insurance saying they're committing fraud.

Original review: July 6, 2016

I needed braces and that's why I went to Western Medical at 2701 W. First St. in Santa Ana. Also is the closest one to my house, I didn't think about doing a research on them before going there and start a treatment and I regret very much. But when I was there to start the treatment after all the papers was signed, I meet the doctor his name is **. I don't know his last name. He was very rude. He doesn't do much. He doesn't like to talk so when I had a question or didn't understand something he never had the patience or gave any attention to what I needed to say. He would only look at my teeth and then go to the next patient and send one of his assistant to do what he thought had to be done, and that assistant would tell me what was going on, and also answer my question but if I insisted on talking to him he would talk to me through his assistant while he was working in somebody else's mouth.

He has being treating me like this every visit for the past 2 years but I didn't care about he being rude, unfair, full of himself because he don't think that he should treat his client with proper respect, because he is a doctor and know what he is doing, and I'm not. I didn't care because I am not going there to be friends with him, I just want him to do the job I was paying him to do. I never liked him or was ever comfortable with him. So when I was 18 months into the treatment I pointed out to his assistant and ask him to tell Dr. ** some things that was bothering me and hurting and sometimes bad and that I would like him to do something about it. He didn't like that I asked and that I was complaining so on my next visit I insist on that he would fixed. He not only didn't do anything but also said to me that the time that he established for my treatment was over so there was nothing else that he could do for me. It is what it is.

I said, "But what about this space right in the middle in the front of my teeth?" He gave many excuses blaming on me and the shape of my teeth. I said, "You have to close it Dr. **. This space was never there before the braces." His response was, "I don't want to" and that in three weeks he was going to remove my braces. I freak out and began to cry. I just couldn't believe, my teeth has a big space right in the front of my lower teeth that was never there before the braces and the left side of my mouth my bite close nice, but the right side doesn't so when I am eating I chew most on the left side. So I insisted with him again asking him to please do something about this before removing the braces, so he gave me more time about 4 months more, but didn't do anything. All he did was changing the rubber bands.

I am so angry that I went to get a second opinion elsewhere in two different places and both Doctors said the same thing - that there's work that needs to be done and that the braces shouldn't be removed just yet and this space in the front can definitely be fixed. So now I will have to let him remove my braces in 25 days, today is 7/5, and go to one of this good professional that gave the second opinion and start braces again. I am very angry at Western Medical and Dr. ** and I am very sorry I ever went there, they don't know what they are doing. I talked to everyone that works there including the manager who always tells me she will talk to the doctor or help me getting another doctor, but she never does.

Original review: June 25, 2016

Went to Western Dental to get my teeth pulled. Had X-rays prior from this appointment. They knew that I had high blood pressure. They said no problem. When I went to go get my teeth pulled they would not do it because of the high blood pressure. Now they're charging me $600 for nothing. Street hustled me.

Original review: May 27, 2016

HORRIBLE Dental Company. Customer Service is poor. They provide false accounting/billing information to their patients. Highly recommend you search for another reputable dental company with top ratings in customer service as well as Orthodontist staff. Good luck!!

Original review: May 23, 2016

I received a letter stating that Western Dental cannot see me no more because of my outburst in the office. And that my health is in jeopardy if I didn't continue my dental care. The reason for my outburst was I had 12 teeth pulled and bottom dentures made and was told to come in to make adjustments whenever I had problems or concerns. But four times walking in with my mouth bleeding and not being able to eat at all, I was told I could not be see. The dentist was at lunch, there was no dentist on site, they were booked and couldn't fit me in. The fifth time I was in tears and at my last nerve and told them I need someone to help me. I was asked to leave. I still can't eat and the dentures don't fit and I'm out the money and no dentist is willing to fix their mistakes. This has ruined my life totally. Death is better than living like this.

Original review: May 2, 2016

OMG!!! Very disappointed of Western Dental. I went to Western Dental Sept.15, 2014. Fill out the last tooth and something too they said I need too bone replacement graft for rid so later I can put the implant. If not I need surgery and takes more time to do. So I decided to do it. So they charge me $455.00. Last week I went to other dental office to put implant. So, need to took the X-rays. OMG! There was none bone replacement on my last tooth under the gums. I couldn't believe my eyes. Western Dental is big company. How they collect money from peoples like this??? Yesterday was too late to contact them and today is Sunday so I couldn't call them or visit. I have 2 different invoices. Bc, Western Dental forced me to do it bone replacement. Very, very disappointed. I couldn't believe people. Do I need attorney? Contact me email please.

Original review: April 12, 2016

Three teeth were pulled and I still don't have a implant as requested. If you have sued call me **.

Original review: March 16, 2016

Paid for future services then cancelled portion the next day. Was told refund in about 4 weeks. Told to call corporate to follow up. Called after 4 weeks refund not requested. Told it would be 7 days to get refund approved then time to process. Wait 2 weeks call back... never got response on refund from branch. Will email branch again. Called branch next day and told they do not have office manager. Called corporate back. They are requesting refund but waiting for 3 YES 3 approval signatures. Told to check back in 7 business days. Meanwhile, my FSA acct will be locked. Very frustrated!

Original review: March 8, 2016

I DO NOT RECOMMEND the Pittsburg location in 94565. I submitted a grievance on 12/11/15 after spending 2 months of calling Western Dental to dispute charges they made without my consent. Despite being told that an adjustment or write off will be made, to date no action has been taken. The manager at the local office in Pittsburg (where the unauthorized charge took place) has failed to respond to the numerous emails and phone call made by the corporate office on my behalf to follow up (since October 17, 2015 to date). The only piece of correspondence I have received since I began disputing the unauthorized charge is a letter to collections, not even a statement has been received. This should be considered some form of fraudulent practice. All I ask is for the write off to take place, reimburse any amount due back to me and clear me of collections. Also, if the credit bureaus are involved, Western Dental is to clear my persona.

Original review: March 5, 2016

I had an appointment 2 weeks ago to have a tooth pulled and to have a temp bridge. I came back two weeks later and was told that it wasn't ready yet for the bridge impression to be done because the area was still sore. The dentist told me that she wanted me to floss for two days. When I got home and looked at it there was no way I could floss because of the temp bridge prevented it. I called to tell them this and the reception lady said there was nobody that could help me today. When I demanded to speak to the dentist she said to just brush and use salt water and I told her why did she tell me that in the first place and didn't get an answer. The tooth was infected two weeks ago and when I ask her if it was still infected I didn't get an answer. The lady at the front desk was rude and she lied about having nobody to help me!

Original review: March 2, 2016

So, I needed a root canal on one of my back molars. I called the Western Dental in Elk Grove, CA but was automatically transferred to the call center. I asked "Hey, does Western Dental do root canals on molars?" I was told, "yes". Great! So I set up an appointment for my procedure...easy. The next day I went to my appointment (it took almost 2 hours to get called back). A dental asst took x-rays and told me I definitely needed a root canal.

I was left in the chair for over half an hour. When the dental asst came back, she informed me that they don't perform root canals on molars. So I became confused and irritated. I went to the front desk to confirm what I'd just been told. The asst said, "That particular procedure needs to be done by an endodontist. We have no one at any of our locations who can perform that. I can refer you to an outside practice." I was pissed. I had wasted my time thinking I'd finally get relief for my pain only to be turned away.

I spent the next week frantically searching for an affordable endodontist. It made no sense how a large dental practice like Western Dental did not perform a common procedure, so I decided to call again to double check. I called the location in Sacramento on Florin Rd this time, and I was again rerouted to corporate. I was told by two different representatives that Western Dental does, in fact, perform root canals on molars. I told them about being referred out and the representative was confused and said that made no sense. She put me on hold and called the Elk Grove location to double check. She came back and confirmed that they did and apologized for the discrepancy. So I made an appointment AGAIN for my root canal back at the Elk Grove location.

Later that night, I had a question about insurance coverage, so I called the corporate office. They didn't know the answer so they transferred me to the Elk Grove office. The girl who got on the phone was rude right off the bat. I tried asking my question and was told "I see you have Liberty Dental and we don't accept that. That's why you were referred out." WHAT??? First off, that's not why I was told I'd been referred out. Secondly, I had JUST BEEN seen at that location a week prior and NO ONE said anything about not accepting my insurance. Suddenly a week later, they don't accept it? "Well, the manager approved us seeing you last week, but sorry, we don't accept it. The location on Florin Rd in Sacramento does." I just hung up. Had I not called with my question, I would've shown up at my appt and turned away because of this new revelation. My insurance info had always been on my file so why NOW is it a problem?

I am just pissed and confused at how unprofessional they are. All the information I was given was wrong. There are too many discrepancies between corporate and specific locations. The location in Elk Grove in particular is HORRIBLE. First, I was referred out because they didn't do root canals on molars which was a LIE. Then it turned into me being referred out because of my insurance. Well why was I referred OUT to a completely different (and expensive) dental practice instead the next closest Western Dental that does accept my insurance. I'm STILL confused. So do they or don't they do root canals on molars? Do they or don't they accept my insurance? Why was I referred out? I don't even trust going back to them. This entire company needs a reboot. Unbelievable.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

My appointment was @ 10:30. They were very late in putting me in chair and another hour or more before I was seen. The whole experience was nothing short of horrific. I asked the dentist if she could numb my gum before she gave me the shot. She held the swab for about 20 secs. When she gave me the shot she hit a nerve. It felt like the needle went up through my nose into my eye. The doctor dismissed it and said my eye was fine. She tried to take the tooth without making sure my gum was numb. She gave me three shots and was very irritated with me. I broke down in tears and no comfort. I got out of there 3:30. It was horrific.

The doctor had no bedside manner nor the nurse. And she could see I was shook up and shaking. She couldn't get the tooth out. I broke down in tears and she asked another dentist to look. He was kind. They recommended an oral surgeon. It has been six days and I am still hurting. I finally left there. It was 3:30. I would never recommend them. Also the price they quoted for payment gave me was astronomical. If you are poor and you can't pay save and go somewhere else. It was awful and I can't imagine what it would be like for a child.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

Last March 2015 I started working with this dental group, they pulling my top teeth. He told me to wait until the swelling to go down. From the very first time they made an impression to 10 months later I have never had a denture that fit. It's real hard and can't be made to fit. I paid them a lot.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

A year ago I broke a molar and had to have emergency dental work - no insurance. I went to Western Dental because they advertised that they would let me make payments, and no other dentists in the area could offer me that and take me in on an emergency basis. When I first came in, I was greeted pleasantly enough, but before the woman was done checking me in and processing me, she was called away and then I just stood there for about 15 minutes before anyone else took over to help me out. I waited for another half hour in the waiting room, then was sent back and waited another half hour in the chair before anyone came to take a look at my mouth.

The woman who eventually did my check was barely polite and made it clear she was disgusted with the state of my teeth (no insurance for a long time, plus a serious phobia about the dentist in general) - definitely needed to work on her "bedside manner". After all of this, I was informed that they didn't have an oral surgeon on site, and so I would now have to wait a week before he would be in the office. The price quoted for a tooth extraction - the ONLY thing they did, was around $1000. I came back for the oral surgeon, who did a great job - but then they just packed my mouth and sent me out the door.

The real problems began with the billing and payment. They NEVER got my mailing address correct - despite my calling over and over again, putting the correct address on my return billing/invoice with payment, etc. Sometimes I got a paper bill, sometimes not, despite my asking them to always send me a paper bill (which I use for filing purposes). One day past the due date, my phone was bombarded with numerous calls from their collection department, I mean like 5 calls in one hour. Eventually, they started calling my boyfriend's phone because I had listed him as my emergency contact.

Now, a year later, after I have almost completely paid the bill - I have been out of work for 6 months, I have zero income and less than $500 in the bank and will be homeless in less than 30 days - I asked them to either write off the balance, or put my account on hold to protect my credit rating (which I have spent the last 5 years trying to clear up) until I was able to resume making payments. They refused both options and just told me to "call them whenever I could make payment again" - but no guarantees that my credit wouldn't be affected. The rep actually asked me if I didn't have a friend or family member who would pay it for me!

I have been making regular payments, and all I am asking is that they work with me until I am able to pay the remainder of the bill (which is grossly over-billed to begin with). Administrative practices are a joke, the finance department is really a collection agency, and the dental work is sub par. RUN AWAY - take your chances with a real dentist - you won't be sorry!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2016

Western Dental has decided to bill me after a year for unknown services. I have received no bill or phone call in a year's time and now they are saying after an audit I owe $305 dollars. They never completed the work I had done, and each time I went into the office with a set appt I sat for more than an hour and they never fixed the problem I had with my dentures. To this day I spent over $2000 for something that does not fit. Was not able to go in as I ended up having neck and back surgery.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

Western Dental was the chosen orthodontics office by my parents to get my braces done at, and it was a very good experience at first; the workers were always very kind to me and knew my name and they were very flexible with creating appointments that fit to my schedule. Everything was A-OK until they started trying to make me pay for fees that seemed to appear on my account magically. Of course I always talked them out of charging me for these outrageous and random fees, but it was annoying to deal with. The real problem started when I moved three hours away from my original office. I called the office and made sure I could transfer to another Western Dental in the area I was moving to, and they said I could.

And now, it's been five months since I've been able to be seen at an office because the process of transferring has been so unorganized. I have called so many times to initiate this transfer, even gone into the office I want to start going to, and they turn me away and say I need to do all of these things that seem like administrative work they need to work out with my original office. I imagine I could have had my braces removed by now, but Western Dental is slow, uncooperative and lied when they said starting a transfer would be doable. I would rather drive the three hours to my original office every six weeks then try to fix this mess I've started from moving.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

Avoid this place like the plague! They have really shady billing practices designed to rip off customers. They never sent me a monthly bill, although I called to request that, but I continued making payments. There is no way online to check on the status of your account, they never send you a statement, how much you still owe, etc., calling them involves major waiting times. I paid faithfully every month on time, until I discovered my account was closed and I had overpaid by $398 because they were taking payments out of my account that I never authorized!!

I complained, but the following month they pulled another unauthorized payment out of my account even though the account was closed! After calling again and getting upset, they put a hold on my account and said they would do an audit to determine if I was due a refund. I managed to get several of the unauthorized debits reversed through my bank, thank God, but not all because they were over the time limit.

In January 2016, I was informed that yes, I was due a $137 refund (they had actually sent me a statement stating a different amount - this is how bad their accounts department is) and a check was mailed out on Jan 4, 2016. Needless to say, a month later it has not arrived. Another phone call, I had to demand that the check be voided and reissued. I have filed a complaint with the L.A. County consumer affairs department. Action needs to be taken against this place.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

Went in as an emergency. I'm 7 months pregnant, was in pain, needed attention with both of my teeth. I had no choice but to make an appointment asap! I checked in 10 am, was there until 6 pm. I felt forgotten. Dentist was taking too long, keep on seeing other patients. Then I was told dentist went to lunch. Dentist took 2 hours of lunch! So they tell me "We have another dentist that could work on your root canals." (Keep in mind I'm in pain.) I said "Sure." It's now close to 4ish in afternoon so by the time this other dentist saw me she looked bothered that I was given to her when the other dentist was to work on me. She had her own patients waiting on her so I felt rushed. She just injected me fast with no asking questions on how I'm doing - again I'm pregnant!!!

She started working on 1 root canal, wasn't done, left me waiting there for 1 & half with this metal plate in my mouth and I was drooling. Finally I got up, went out the room, asked someone to help. All they did gave me!! The little vacuum to suck up drooling from my mouth. I finally couldn't take it anymore. I got very emotional, sad, frustrated. Remember I'm pregnant. I was tired, hungry. I started crying. I keep asking "When is dentist coming." They keep telling me "She will be with you." Dentist came. I told her I need to leave. She wasn't even concerned. She only put paste on my root canal. I have never thought a dentist office like this one would of treated me this way!!! Was awful experience. I would not recommend. Poor customer service & dental care.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2016

I paid Western Dental in Fairfield, CA back in November 2015 for a procedure they told me I needed. They would NOT start treatment until I paid them 1/2 the money up front. After they started the work they told me they could not perform the procedure. The procedure they performed was a less expensive procedure and they were to refund me the difference. It is now Jan 28, 2016 and I still have received no refund. After calling dozens of times in the last 3 months I called today and finally spoke to a live person who told me I have a "credit" with them and I will need to use the credit up in procedures. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

I went to get some work done on my teeth. They put me on a payment option. They took out the payments out my bank account. When I finish paying them off, they did not stome. They collected a extra payment. I called them to fix the issue. They said they will call me back. They never did. Later I went to get some more work done. They put me on other payment option again. I ask them to please remove one payment that they owe me from last account. They said, "We will get back to you." They never called me and the next thing received was not a call but a collection letter. Very bad services.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2016

I went to Western Dental, El Cerrito, CA. They pulled 14 teeth at once 6 months ago. Plus I paid for 5 bone grafts. 2,300.00. I was told if I got the grafts that they could make me a excellent pair of dentures. The dentures they made me never fit. I went in for several readjustments with no progress. 6 months later when my insurance would cover a permanent realigning, the bottoms still float in my mouth. The top, I look like a horse. All gums and teeth that do not match my old ones. I still can't wear them. I have done my homework now, and you should not have to use glue to keep in a pair of dentures. They have people by the balls when you have medical. Sucks. Now no teeth for 6 months and does not look any better for me.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

I was a patient of Western Dental for 2 years at the orthodontist department. My credit score got affected due to lack of communication between the San Francisco office located at mission st. and the billing department in Orange County. I made my last payment of $750.00. Now I have received a bill from HP Sears their collections department who is charging me for the $750.00. I Called the San Francisco office and talk to the patient care Coordinator Tania **. Send an email to Alfonso ** collections corporate and he is giving me the run around. Meanwhile my credit score has been affected. Nothing has been done till today.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2016

My husband had a infected gum which caused massive swelling. We had no choice but to go see them for this emergency situation. Had an appointment. Checked in with very rude and uneducated receptionists. Lobby was empty. Only had two kids and waited 45 minutes even with an appointment. Husband had X-rays taken and the X-ray tech was uneducated and inexperienced. Asked if my husband was allergic to latex which made no sense. They are to read the medical history, not ask.

Went in the back to see the dentist. The chairs are set up with no privacy practically in the lobby back area. Dentist told us he had a hairline fracture causing the infection and needed to get a porcelain-fused crown and bridge done. The biller came and explained the same procedure and the estimate was $3,668 for the services. I did my own research and discovered that 2 ADA codes Western Dental estimated me for (dental billing codes) were not actual codes with the ADA by my dental savings provider.

I phoned Western Dental. Waited for 1 hour before speaking to some uneducated, rude lady who only transferred me to the Rancho Santa Fe office in San Marcos. I was on hold for another 40 minutes. Spoke with the biller, Espy. That's her name. I asked for the ADA billing codes (patient's legal right to obtain). She gave me a convoluted answer as to why I can't locate it because it is an upgrade. Found out they tried to overcharge me and make me feel pressured to use their financial option because if I used my dental savings plan I supposedly would have paid double for the crowns/bridges.

We were scheduled for the next day to get the work done. I canceled my appointment with Western Dental the day of our second appointment with the biller, Espy, and she threatened me saying that the doctor will not be available for the next couple weeks since I canceled for my husband's appointment, so I said that's fine. I found another dentist who gave the right diagnosis, not a hairline fracture on the tooth! Rather it is a gum abscess. Work done with the second opinion dentist totaled $1,013 (X-rays, cleaning, draining of infection, crown and partial crown) compared to Western Dental quote of $3,668. I really thought organizations and associations are holding dental practices accountable. They might as well throw out the ADA Code of Ethics.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

My 15 year old daughter is in pain because of her wisdom teeth coming in. Called Western Dental to schedule an appointment on 12/18/2015. Was scheduled for an appointment on 12/19/2015 @ 10:00 am. Was called on 12/19/2015 @ 9:00am and told appointment needed to be rescheduled to verify insurance. Rescheduled to 12/26/2015. On 12/24/2015 received call confirming appointment for 12/26/2015. Arrived at Western Dental only to be told that my insurance was not verified and that I would need to reschedule. Told them "no thank you", this is not the type of service I expect and will take my daughter elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2015

On Dec. 2nd 2015 I went in to have a tooth pulled. After the extraction there were quite a few stitches put in my mouth. I was neither told of the possibility beforehand nor after. They were not discovered until much later when I was home. After my procedure was done, even before the paper bib was removed a hispanic asst. approached me with several forms and told me to initial and sign where highlighted. As began to read she became very pushy almost demanding that I just sign them. I explained that I do not put my name to anything without first reading it. At that point she actually became very agitated.

As I read the next 2 lines a question was asked if I had received and read the complete info. sheet in its entirety. When I told the dental asst. that I couldn't initial that, she tells it's in the plastic bag they had for me. As I tried several time the question asked have I completely read it and I'm not signing it off until I do. At this point I'm now standing up, she is approx. 3 ft. facing me, and she begins to whole heartedly laugh in my face, telling me I'm crazy for wanting to waste her time reading the forms before signing them. I'm now in the process of filing a grievance against that office, the dentist himself, and that dental asst. at 1701 Watt ave Sacramento, Ca.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

At the end of March 2012, I purchased a $1100 (all cash because at the time I didn't have insurance) lava crown for my front tooth from San Bernardino Western Dental office. The reason why I wanted the most expensive crown is because I did not want metal in my crown to discolor my gum line. When the crown arrived it was not the same shape or color as the rest of my teeth, and the dentist damaged the lava crown (took the shine off and left a big white spot) when trying to shave/shape the tooth to the rest of my teeth. I complained and said I'm not buying the tooth this way, fix it ASAP because I have a trip in two weeks and need a front tooth. Two weeks later I go back right before I leave for my trip and the tooth has been repaired but not fixed. It still was misshapen and discolored and the dentist basically said that's the best they can do. And because of my trip and the fact the temporary crown looked so awful I decided to have him put on the crown.

Months go by and I'm not happy with my smile. My gum line appears black and you can tell I have a crown and it looks cheap. I went to my primary dentist and they agreed the crown needed to be redone. I wrote to Patient relations explaining my story and how I would like a refund so I can pay my dentist to do it right or they need to fix the tooth for free. The grievance board said without proof the answer is no. Because San Bernardino claims they did a great job and that there were no discrepancies.

They asked that I see one of their dentists to prove whether or not the tooth needed to be redone. I went to a dentist at the Pasadena Los Robles location who stated my post is showing and that the crown was placed incorrectly. She suggested I get braces first to correct the alignment of my teeth so the new crown she would create will fit much better. I write back to the grievance board about what the dentist said and they wrote back February 2015 stating "ok head back to San Bernardino to get your tooth redone." What sense does it make sending me back to the office that doesn't know what they're doing? Since I decided to take their dentists advice and get braces, and I was tired of dealing with this headache, (since no one I spoke to on the phone was helpful) I waited until August 2015 to request the Pasadena dentist to fix my crown.

I call patient relations August 2015, when my teeth are almost straight enough, to request the office change, and start the process of getting the crowned fixed. While I am explaining my story and concerns to the rep she gets an attitude with me and says "I can't do anything for you. You will need to write back to the grievance board and see what they say." I ask can't she do something or notate something to expedite this process and she gets an attitude with me and threatens to hang up. I say "fine, if that's your prolonged process then fine."

A month goes by I call back to make sure they received my letter because I haven't heard anything. The rep I spoke to said yes they received my letter and the grievance board approved the location change. I asked "do I need to wait to get a letter in the mail that states it's ok to go to the Pasadena location so there is no confusion?" And she says "no just head to the office and have them call patient relations if they have any questions."

**(NOTE:The rest of these events all happened on Monday November 9, 2015 from 2 pm to 5 pm)** I make an appointment for Monday November 9, 2015 at 2 pm and leave early from work to attend my appointment. I show up to the office and long story short patient relations tells the Pasadena Los Robles office manager Ana not to help me. I explain to Ana the woman I spoke to the other day said the change is supposed to be noted somewhere in my grievance. Ana said "sorry Jenessa in patient relations said she doesn't know what you're talking about and we can't help you here and you need to go back to San Bernardino". I stay as calm as possible even though I'm highly upset, but it's not Ana's fault it's the patient relations teams fault for not doing their due diligence and for giving Ana the wrong information.

I know this because after calling the patient relations team 6 times and being placed on long 20 minute holds and hung up on, by a few rude reps and then transferred to two wrong departments I finally got someone (Dasia **) who was patient enough (yet still very snappy, rude, and unprofessional) to look at notes on another screen and she confirmed that it says I can go to the Pasadena office. Daisa said I should have received a letter, I told her I don't have a letter that says that. Then she says "hold on, I'm going to call the Pasadena location." Dasia tells Ana I'm a liar and that I should've received this letter and been able to present it to the Pasadena location.

It's mid NOVEMBER and I still haven't received anything from the grievance board about the location change so why would Dasia ** tell Ana that? In addition to that how is that helpful? When Dasia was finished not helping me she just dropped the call to Ana. She placed me on a long hold to "check something out" never comes back and explains anything to me and sticks me with Ana, who is just as confused as I am because I thought I was still talking to Dasia **. Ana knowing I received bad customer service was helpful and provided me with Dasia ** name as well as Jenessa's name.

After realizing I can't get any help from these poorly trained individuals who clearly are bitter, jaded by actual confrontational customers and hate their jobs, I decided I want a supervisor to call me and explain to me Western Dentals proper phone etiquette. Because now my grievance is no longer with the San Bernardino location it is with the patient relations department. I've worked at a call center and I've worked as a receptionist and if I handled my clients the way they "assisted" me, I would've been fired. Asking to speak to a supervisor was a joke. I thought they would actually reach out to help me or come to the phone and hear me out. HA!

I tried calling a few times and just asking for a supervisor and being vague about why I'm calling, because at this point I feel like the patient relations team is telling everyone not to help me, and I've already explained myself numerous times before and no one seemed to understand what I was saying (mainly because they were talking while I was talking, not LISTENING, and asking me to remain calm while rudely threatening to hang up in my face).

The associate (Holly and then Jessica) both stated all supervisors are in a meeting and can't help me and to call back some other time. They both claimed not to know when the meeting was over and said I wasn't allowed to wait to speak to a supervisor. I asked "can't you request for a supervisor to call me back?" They both eventually say fine. They both took my information and they both couldn't tell me when I should expect to receive a call back from a supervisor and they stated (after asking isn't there a turn around policy they have to comply to) "the supervisors can call back anytime, give them a few days."

A few days!? I had these two women make a note for a supervisor to call me. I also spoke with a gentleman who assisted me that was in the finance/billing department and claimed he was going to assist with my complaint. He took down all my info and apologized and claimed to have notated my disgust with how the patient relations team was run. Why I was transferred to his department I don't know, but if he was sincere in helping me there should be a complaint on record submitted by him.

After hours of trying to deal with this mess and unnecessary stress I decided to calm down and wait for a supervisor to call me. It is after 12 pm on November 18, 2015 and I still haven't heard from anyone. My goal with my grievance was to get my tooth repaired and have a smile I'm not embarrassed to show off. Now I am so sick of dealing with this sham of a company, I want my money back and I want their company to know how poorly trained their "customer service" and "patient relations" team is trained. Please give me back my money so I can finally deal with professionals. I called these 3 numbers: 800-992-3366; 800-992-3366 ext. 13675; and 714-571-3675.

Western Dental & Orthodontics Company Information