Multiple California Locations

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.65/5

Western Dental & Orthodontics Reviews

Original review: May 22, 2015

I showed up ten minutes early for my 11 am appointment. Was led back to a dental chair at 11:10, where I didn't move until 4pm. This was a nightmare. I was there for a crown. The dentist was completely unconcerned about me as a patient. He showed zero interest, as if he was just getting through the day the best way he could. I pictured him working at a concentration camp, preparing to pull the gold out of every patient's mouth. The only emotion he showed to me was when he was visibly annoyed that he hadn't given me enough anesthesia, and the drill still hurt. Yes, the doctor acted as if he was annoyed that I was still in pain, that I still needed more anesthesia. At the same time, maybe the worst part, was his little clown assistant, ** laughed (again, and again... loudly) and talked about everything under the sun, the places they had worked together, about other staff who had made mistakes... as if I wasn't there.

The only thing ** needed was a big red nose and some over-sized shoes. He was inappropriately LOUD... in my ear. He proceeded to yank my mouth repeatedly, and when he stuck the straight suction tube in my mouth, even with the anesthesia, I felt sharp jabs on my gums and tongue. I wanted to stick that tube up **'s little **! Then they would leave, not saying a single word about what comes next, how long I will be waiting. I then sat there, again, several times, for 10 minutes or more staring at the wall, with saliva flowing out of my mouth, with no human in sight. The reason I knew the saliva was flowing, was when it reached my chest, I could feel it (numbed mouth), and I then proceeded to take the napkin tied around my neck, and wipe my neck, jaw, mouth, and chest.

Oh, here comes the little clown again. "Open your mouth", in goes the block, back to drilling, I'm laying there with my eyes shut, and I vaguely hear "hold the mirror... hold the mirror... hold the mirror... I said HOLD THE MIRROR!" I opened my eyes, and realized they were yelling at me??? I realized the first three "hold the mirrors" was the dentist voice, the last "HOLD THE MIRROR" came from the little clown... He never said my name, or "sir". He just yelled at me, all the time my eyes were closed. Unbelievable. Never once said my name, just HOLD THE MIRROR! WTF?? ** was nice, but I only saw her at the very beginning, before any work was done, long enough to sign the payment agreement. After about the third hour, I seriously debated getting up and walking out. I only hoped that if I got up and left, I pray I don't pass the little clown on the way out... not sure what I might do.

Anyway, it's hard to do in the middle of "the procedure". I HATED this visit. The worst dentist or doctor's visit I've ever had in my 56 years, anywhere. By the way, there was one other worker, I think her name was **, who finished me up at the end, who was nice to me, and at least acted like she cared about how I was doing. She needs to get away from that bunch. For the final 20 minutes, she installed the temporary crown, and I was oh so grateful not to see those other two, the dispassionate DDS... and the little clown. As for the dentist and as for "** the Clown", I was treated with resentment and as if I was on an aggravating carousel of open mouths.

I am also going to file a complaint with the CA Dental Board (http://www.dca.ca.gov), and I'm going to blog about this visit in great detail on every dentist review site and pissed off consumer site I can find (I found quite a few already). Nobody should have to deal with "** the Clown" or pay money for these kinds of services and then be treated like an annoyance. I never said anything to this bunch to cause them to act that way. It's clearly their culture. But, I'm going to speak out now... LOUDLY (take that ** the Clown). To show you how much this upset me, I'll pay them for the full crown, even though IU left with the temp... I won't be back. I am also going to look for another dentist ASAP! Western Dental, Cathedral City... run for your life!

Original review: May 13, 2015

The falling off of the filling caused wasted time and aggravation since I had to rearranged earlier commitments to fit Western Dental busy schedule. After consulting with another institution I realized that their suggested expensive procedures for my future treatment were unnecessary. What is causing me major problems now is their refusal to provide me with a CD (the other institution wants a CD) of my X-rays cost free. I will have to pay a fee of $20 for the X-rays loaded to a USB. Is there any way that I can make them comply to my request?

Updated on 10/05/2015: I wrote a complaint about the Western Dental office in Downtown Berkeley on May 13, 2015 about a fallen filling after a couple of days and my intention to take my X-rays to a different dental service to avoid possible permanent damage to my teeth and mouth. I agreed over the phone with a manager to pay the $20. He assured me that all I had to do was to make an appointment to pay and they will give me the X-rays at once. I did so, and was told that the X-rays would be ready for me at my arrival. The person at the desk took the money and told me that the X-rays were not ready. I would have to rearrange my schedule again to fit their incompetence.

When I came back about a week later with my receipt the receptionist told me the order has not been processed and that I had to come back another time. As I insisted on having my (twice) paid X-rays, the receptionist asked me with ostentatious rudeness what was the name of the person I have paid the money to. Of course, I did not know the name. She smiled and insisted that I had to come another day.

I asked to speak to the manager of that office. I waited for about a half hour. I explained the situation to the manager and demanded to have my X-rays. The manager made it sound like she was bending some unspoken rules to comply to my "unusual" request. I walked away with my X-rays that day feeling terribly mistreated, played with, laughed at, and most of all uncertain about the timing to save a couple of tooth and the general health of my mouth under attack by an auto-immune syndrome. I agree with the thousands of mistreated unsuspected victims of Western Dental practices who want this business to be SHUT DOWN!

Original review: May 11, 2015

I had gum surgery 2-10-2015. First the periodontist was numbing me... I needed a break and he had me waiting for 1/2 hour or more. He finally starts the procedure and then the pedal stops working. He sends the assistant up the street to get another one while in the mean time I go to sit up because I was having little problem breathing and then blood was drooling out of my mouth. My husband was with me and was sooo upset... No one bothered to put gauze in my mouth. I had originally agreed to pay $1,300 something. I get a call the other day from Western Dental that I owe $900 more. I'm like "What? why?" "The insurance didn't cover something" they said.

I call my insurance... They got paid for the exam and xrays... which they are charging me for that too... charging me for fluoride... which I didn't even get or need but Western Dental is lying about that... irrigation fees of $80 per quad... which I only had 1 treatment on the LL where my loose tooth is and having pain issues... Western Dental charging for a cleaning. I didn't have a cleaning... only a polish. I had an appointment in March and told the doctor I needed more antibiotics because I still had an infection and told me no... I've had my infection for over a year... the periodontist just sent me home.

So they got paid $800 for the surgery... $118 for the exam & xrays... which they are charging me for. The periodontist told me come in for treatments and there will be no charge... another lie by them... they billed for my March appointment and weren't supposed to... I will never go back there. They also forgot to mention after surgery that I needed 3 cleanings a year. The Santa Ana, CA location is bad. My first appointment in January I had to cancel because I had the flu real bad... the office manager insisted I come in anyways... I said I'm so sick I can't... she wouldn't take no for an answer. My husband had to call and tell them I was sick and had to cancel.

Original review: May 6, 2015

I never in my life had this poor experience with dentist. I swear those people going to make you to regret your life. They should be locked down.

Original review: May 4, 2015

I went to get my teeth fixed and they turned what was supposed to be a good thing into a nightmare. The dentist told me that I would be happy with the results so I trusted him. Big mistake. They pulled all of my teeth out and gave me dentures that didn’t fit. So they made another set that took 2 months and they still don’t fit. They make me look like I have a mouth guard in. I would never wear them ever. Now I have to save up the cash to get my dentures. I think they should be shut down.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Dental & Orthodontics?

Original review: April 30, 2015

Horribly uneducated people. They told us my daughter had 16 cavities and needed a root canal on her FRONT TOOTH. After letting them do one filling and my daughter still hurt days after, we got a second opinion. SHE ONLY HAS 4 CAVITIES. 4! And they are small. No need for a root canal. This dentist almost RUINED my little girl's mouth for nothing! They should be shut down and audited. What they are doing is criminal and probably for more insurance money. I will NEVER set foot in Western Dental again!

Original review: April 24, 2015

They are nothing but thieves!!! Have me waiting 3 hours on the lake elsinore location, doctor (if I can call him doctor) don't even acknowledgment me, start talking to his helper, and all he said was how much work my mouth need it (no cavities). He just want my money!!! Service - it's the worst of the worst!!! I called them today to cancel services, they have me waiting for one hour over the phone, and then they transfer my call to another state!!! Waited for another hour just to hear not even sorry. Please do not use that stupid company.

Original review: April 20, 2015

My daughter received braces the end of 2013. She has had so many problems such as wires popping out constantly. I decided I had enough and stopped her from going and stopped paying along with it, but now 1 1/2 later my daughter still has braces on and needs them off and a retainer and also her teeth are not straight. I have been to numerous orthodontists who do not want to touch this without practically starting over and approx. $1800-4500. I cannot do that. I am in a bind please anyone, can you advise?

Original review: April 15, 2015

The only dental insurance I have is Denti-Cal. Western ASSURED me they could pull my remaining teeth (3) and replace with dentures within ONE month so that I would only have to pay my "share of cost" once. I had saved my pennies for months and months in order to have the "share of cost" available. On the appointed day, I sat in their lobby for an hour and one-half before the "dentist" saw me. They did absolutely NOTHING except take two digital x-rays (which cost about $13.00 each as confirmed by two other dentists outside of Western Dental), charged me $340.00 (which I paid) and THEN one week later said that they could NOT perform the work in one month and that I would have to pay another share of cost expense.

They are incompetent, their office staff are rude, and in my opinion, they are crooks. They drive you CRAZY with telephone calls AFTER you have cut all ties with them. I have written their corporate office requesting a $200.00 refund. I'm SURE they will respond (sarcasm). I believe these people should not be allowed to continue to take advantage of the general public. I contacted the CA dental board but was told this is a civil matter. Really? What does it take to have Western Dental held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof). What IS the purpose of the CA Dental Board? Why, with all the complaints about Western Dental, are they still allowed to run roughshod over people and take their money for services NOT rendered?

Original review: April 11, 2015

I went in for braces at age 52, because all my life I had a center bottom front tooth that had been crowded out to the front. So my regular dentist pulled it, then I went to WD for braces. I was not thrilled with the production-line atmosphere (the dentist chairs are all in one big room) and the overcrowded waiting room, but I guess this is the price for the lower no-interest payments, and the low total contract fee over the next 2 and 1/2 years. I liked the fact that I was not paying interest and did not need to take out a loan, just made the payments which were $122 month. The waiting room was always full of young parents and their kids and I'm sure I was the oldest one there. I always had to watch Sponge Bob or other kid show, which is probably better than some of the other junk on TV.

I wore braces for nearly 3 years, which was grueling, and I hated going to the appointments. But they were nice enough. The dental assistants were always talking about their pets and stuff, which is ok with me. But sometimes I got the feeling they were having schedule problems, and I had some long waits. It seemed each visit I had a different orthodontist (all much younger than me), so I assumed they could not have much experience. All in all, I got through it, and my teeth look better, although I still have to remember to wear the retainers (at least at night) or the bottom teeth start getting out of line. So from age 52-55 I suffered but I think it was worth it now. It could have been worse if I got impatient with the office layout and chaos. It is intimidating at first. But overall I think I saved $2000-$3000 since the total amount I paid was only about $4300.

Original review: April 10, 2015

Ortho consultation at San Leandro CA office - I feel that this office is very unorganized and incompetent. I am going elsewhere. I was there for a second time. The first time I filled out proper paperwork Ins info etc. which was fine. This appt was for a consultation w/ the Orthodontist X-Rays etc only to be told they hadn't looked over any of our paperwork or verified Ins. info. from 3 weeks ago. I asked for my paperwork and told the staff member I would not be returning!!! I am feeling very disappointed!!!

Original review: April 9, 2015

I arrived for an initial visit for a cleaning.. X-rays were taken, including full mouth, which I commented to the tech that I never have had done before, I hope my insurance pays for it. The dentist talked to me about the x-rays saying that I needed three crowns replaced, and needed an antibiotic irrigation for upper teeth, without looking in my mouth. I requested fluoride with the cleaning. With my insurance, I was quoted $1,188 share of cost. I explained that I only want a cleaning with fluoride.

Initially I was quoted $85 for the fluoride, but in my dental benefits handbook, I pointed out that my co-pay was $12. Well I was charged for 4 quads of ant for antibiotic irrigation for $100, full mouth x-ray for $10, adult prophy for $10, and the fluoride for total $132 share of cost. I was very dissatisfied with the cleaning and the method used. I visited a different dental office as a follow-up and I was told I do not need crowns replaced at this time, and there was no reason for the antibiotic irrigation.

Original review: April 6, 2015

I went to the dental office on Broadway in Chula Vista to pull a tooth. A dentist(???) from Mexico was introduced to me suggesting that he was going to do the dental work which did not happen. A individual who seemed to me be lacking of experience, injected me 3 times, and finally did extract a tooth. While he was extracting I was in a terrible pain. Next I took a look at the tooth and it had an extremely large amount of flesh. I asked an attendant if I could have the tooth but without a reply she took the tooth away. Next I asked to have the dentist call me next day which did not happen either. I was charge over $500.00 for the extraction. Now I just received a bill from them for over $600.00. I would like to know if there are others as discontent as I am because this company should not be in business not only because of incompetency (in my case) but what I consider extortion not only with me as with others as well.

Original review: April 4, 2015

I got the wrong information multiple times over the phone. I live in Red Bluff and have to go to Chico too. It's so frustrating.

Original review: March 22, 2015

This specifically applies to the Western Dental at 4100 S El Camino Real, San Mateo. I went to this place because it was close to home. I went to have a checkup. They came up with a laundry list of work. One of items was to replace an old broken metal filling. The tooth had been refilled before. It turns out there was insufficient tooth left to maintain structural integrity but they insisted that they should put onlays in. This work lasted 48 hours. The entire outer surface of the tooth broke off. I returned. They laughed it off with a "These things happen" attitude.

Now time for a crown. After they had done the previous incompetent work, there was insufficient tooth mass left. The grinding for the crown injured the root - the tooth is dying. This work was done in Dec 2013. In Feb 2015, received a collection notice from Western Dental informing me I owed them $1300 claiming that my insurance had denied payment because I had not paid my part. But it turns out, they billed in 2014 for services performed in 2013. I am now facing a consult with an oral surgeon to determine if the tooth can be saved.

Original review: March 19, 2015

The list just goes on. WD is still trying to charge an insurance plan I no longer have. Everytime they call me, I'm having to repeatedly "remind" them I no longer have that insurance. The Apple Valley, CA office I go to has no knowledge of how to correctly verify insurance. I called corporate to complain and switch offices...I end up with a CSR who spoke to me as if it's my fault my dental office has no idea WTF they're doing. My reply, "YOU'RE CORPORATE. YOU HELP ME FIX THE PROBLEM.. .THAT'S WHY I'M CALLING!" Her frustration towards me just created a domino effect to where my attitude went to sour as much as hers, if not worse!

Another situation, I'm called back...I'm sitting in the chair for an hour waiting for the dentist. I had to ask what's the point of me being held back there and

having an appointment. I could continued to sit in the waiting room where there's at least a TV I can watch as I'm waiting. The wait in this office is unbelievable. My son's appointment lasted 4 hours...3 hrs of it was just waiting. And now that I'm reading other reviews and complaints about charges, I need look into what my son's $25,0000 charges are for!!

Should I continue?! For months I had complained my front teeth cap (1 pc for 2 teeth) is loose...it needs re-cementing. I was told they can't re-cement the cap because my previous Dr. is the one who did the work. I cannot go back to the previous Dr. because I'm assigned to WD. and he doesn't take my Dental Plan. I have going back and forth with this problem with Western Dental. Now it's to the point that my cap is no longer staying in place on its own, Temporarily re-cementing doesn't work so my partial is what's holding it in place. Imagine the embarrassment I am facing right now being this cap is in the front! I am literally in tears typing this! I go back to WD demanding they re-cement my tooth.

Their reply -- My teeth are no longer savable. They cannot re-cement my cap. They need to pull my teeth out and add new teeth to my partial to replace the space! I was so pissed hearing this. I broke out into tears and told them, if they would just fixed my teeth in the first place...now my front side teeth need to be pulled?! All they wanted was for this to happen, to squeeze more money out of my insurance and out of my pocket!! Last but not least, the finance charges are ridiculous. I was late paying a pmnt...the late fees and late interest fees are even more unbelievable! I can't anymore deal with WD any longer. I have more to complain, but I'm done with them.

Original review: March 14, 2015

Sat in chair for over an hour for the second appointment only to be turned away again after driving from Burbank. Their excuse was that the specialist was not scheduled to in today. My question then is why in the hell would you allow me to schedule another appointment this Saturday morning - knowing the damn specialist would not be in – YA **!!

Original review: March 11, 2015

My experience with Western Dental was the worst I have ever had. My first visit was a couple hours - not too bad. They did x-rays and impressions and my next appt was 3 hours and was there for a fitting but they had not removed so I sat all that time for nothing, not to mention it's a 100 miles round trip. So they scheduled me for oral surgery. This appt was almost four hours. When they finally took me back I sat another hour. I was getting nervous partly because I need to be sedated and they weren't going to do that. I have Post traumatic stress and I couldn't take the long wait any longer so I went home another - 100 miles. So now they will not release my top denture that my insurance has paid for and they won't pay for another set. How can I get those that I paid for. This is got me stressed out..

Original review: March 10, 2015

I paid over 4,000 dollars and went through two years with braces and a year with retainers, and my dentist telling me my teeth will all align sooner than I think, to have worse teeth than before I even got the braces. My back molar is completely displaced. I called the supervisor of the office and I asked them to put my braces back on and she said she would get back to me, and she never did. I'm going to find a lawyer. That's not right to do that to patients.

Original review: March 8, 2015

I had a dental emergency: my front tooth broke off at the gum. I went to Western Dental with an emergency situation where I sat in the hazardous waiting room for four (4) hours. Xrays were taken. I waited another two hours. A non-English speaking "dentist" misdiagnosed the emergency situation. His assistant could not understand him either. Therefore, it is certain that many problems and additional devastating scenarios lie within the Installment Agreement I was forced to sign on Feb. 16, 2015.

I went back to the Cathedral City, CA office & spoke with ** who claimed to be the General Manager. I told her that I was not allowed to read the document before I was forced to sign it. I had prepared a written Notice of Installment Plan Withdrawal & Cancellation with date and signature. ** said that the letter was not necessary, she would cancel the coerced Installment Agreement within her computer system. I sat across the desk from her & watched her do so. On March 3, 2015 the stalking phone calls started. Today, March 7, 2015 I received a bill for my first "installment' payment in the amount of $92.00.

Western Dental is a group of non-English speaking manipulative con-artists. The "dental room" is a massive room filled with dental chairs. It resembles a slaughter house. There are signs at every dental chair stating: No photography or videotaping allowed. Imagine that? Western Dental must have something to hide. Matter of fact, I know they do. Installment Contract corruption is a big start. If Western Dental is all you have, run like your hair is on fire.

Original review: March 8, 2015

In first visit they made a long bill and said to me that they will treat me in 3 months in different visits and I have to pay whole amount in 3 months. I paid whole amount in 3 months but they were not giving me appointments for treatment and it took 15 months to complete all my appointments. Finally when I checked my account I found that they have collected some extra amounts, I went there and showed my contract with their signature but one staff told me that we will look into this matter and it is now over 8 months of waiting to get my money back.

Three doctor treated me in different appointments, two were very unskillful and unprofessional, one was good. Overall they did not do the good job and I have to get myself treated again other place. I used to reach in time but every time I had to sit there for couple of hours before they begin. Hope it helps.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

This has been a very bad experience. I have never dealt with an office that is so disorganized. It is so upsetting that I have come to the point of even writing this review. Me and my family have great dental insurance and my fiance recently went to their office and was referred to get a root canal. The office never sent the information to the specialist. I had to contact corporate office after several attempts to get it done. The procedure was finally completed and now my fiance needs the crown from the dental office at Western Dental again.

We have contacted them several times to get the appointment scheduled and the office has stated different excuses every time we call. First it was that they needed the information back from the specialist and didn't have it so they didn't schedule. Then on another occasion they said we had never called and there was no notes in the system. This has been going on for four attempts to get the appointment scheduled and today was the final attempt even after we gave the contact numbers of the specialist to them so they can do their job - they still failed to come through.

I am dropping Western Dental as a provider for my family and going elsewhere. Some other office can benefit from my insurance for the dental care my family needs. My son needs braces. He is young and my fiance can get his crown elsewhere. We just don't have time to be playing games with unorganized staff. Oh, and they just become the rudest when it is pointed out to them that they don't have their act together. They just don't care about their patients. This review is guided directly to the Western Dental office located in Phoenix, AZ at 3425 W. Thunderbird Rd. Suite 1. DON'T GO THERE!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

I went to Western Dental for a screening and paid $29.00. I was pressured to sign a contract. They scheduled me for an appt for a root canal. I wanted my molar to be pulled. I had to move out of state. I wasn't able to keep the appt. They are billing me for procedures they didn't do. I notified them that they didn't do the work. They harass me 3-5 times a week.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I came to this dental office cause they had immediate appointments open, now I know why!!! This was the worst experience ever! I went in for 2 fillings and a cleaning and they hurt me so bad! The lady said that's how it suppose to feel. Come on!! Ive gotten cleanings before and never nearly as painful as it was today! My gums are so sensitive and in a lot of pain - like no joke! They don't even care! They were trying to convince me to get braces there, like seriously? No, never again coming back! If you really understand what I'm saying NEVER come here! My sister had already told me but I thought maybe it was just a bad experience from years ago but NO, it really is bad service. If I would have seen the reviews before, I would have never came. Pure 1-star. Just on here to warn you people. Have a great day. Bye.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2015

On my 1st visit, the young all female front office personnel were more obsessed with their hair & makeup than they were with the waiting room full of patients. Most of us in the waiting area noticed the laughing and primping that was going on with virtually all the front office females. The staff was loud, unprofessional and not the least bit friendly to most all who entered. Most all of us waiting were commenting amongst ourselves on their poor behavior. After my 2nd visit witnessing the same behavior, I simply decided to take my extensive dental work to be done, else where. Your commercials are a very misrepresented image....

Resolution response: Feb. 27, 2015

Western Dental is run by a majority of people who have zero social skills. I'm speaking primarily about their main office in Orange County. They will try to ruin your credit in 3 seconds flat, by sending any contested bill to collections, without ascertaining whether they themselves have made the mistake, and, arguing with clients attempting to convey an issue. The main office in O.C. is like a boiler room of greedy, robotic, collectors, whose sole function is to make sure they get money from you, even when you don't owe them for a service. It's mind boggling having to deal with these people.

The flip side, to be fair and balanced, is that the manager **, at the Clinic on Western and Venice, is a classy, ethical young lady who distinguishes between right and wrong, listens to issues, and then addresses them. In my opinion, she should be running the entire company. She's a great asset and a fair person. Additionally, my Dentist there, is highly competent and qualified and has treated me respectfully and has tweaked my dentures for a real quality fit. I believe his name is pronounced Dr. **.

So, there is the real bad, and the real good. Go to Western Dental on Western and Venice, south of Koreatown. Notwithstanding some clerical staff who need to learn some manners, courtesy, & social skills, this might be one of their few good locations, with good dentists', and an excellent manager. Evidently, many other locations are a roll of the dice and a nightmare which just keeps getting worse and worse with each visit. There you have it.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

Twice this month I entered in an attempt to pay my bill, (2nd time was 25 min. ago) and twice I was told by someone on a computer that "someone" would be with me shortly. This despite the fact that an employee was lounging around doing nothing, and the 2 ladies at the front desk were only busy with their computers. Twice I walked out. Today, I gave the employee lounging around a card on which I wrote: "Call me when you have time for me to pay my bill." I wrote my name & phone number down also, and then walked out for the 2nd time.

When I first went to Western Dental, I was verbally told that the quoted price would include everything, with no other cost whatsoever. Then, the first time I took my dentures in to be re-adjusted or re-aligned, they attempted to charge me $800 extra. I refused, showing the manager at the time my contract which made no mention of the charge, and reminded him that I was told verbally that the quoted costs would include ALL re-alignments. Despite receiving a written and signed letter from him stating I would not be charged, the main office in Orange County repeatedly sent me invoices showing that I owed $800 more than I did.

I called Orange County 5 times, attempting to explain and resolve the issue, but each time I spoke to a disrespectful, adversarial, and argumentative person. They steadfastly refused to acknowledge what I attempted to convey. The current manager addressed it, made a copy of my letter, and took the bogus charge off the computer. Zero communication between the clinic and main office. Attempts to call are met with long holds and waiting time. I'm down to my last 2 payments, but am having a problem handing someone who is not too busy my $$.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2015

Learned two months after the fact they had referred me to a specialist while in orthodontics office. Lousy service - after a so-called filling to a molar tooth, it took them several appointments to complete a bad job. Still, it appears, must see another dentist - a competent one of course to correct their problem. The problem with insurances, they think one should go back to the incompetence to solve the problem. With one's health, incompetence is not a bargain. It is more of a liability. The patient will be in pain not the dentist. Moreover, they can't tell the difference between billing and collections.

Whenever one calls, they are literally interrogating you about it, as a collection, "Anything you say will be used to collect the account." Therefore, any inquiries to billing is treated as a collection, and their so-called "right to mess up one's credit". They had reported me for something I never got done – orthodontics - to the credit bureau! Had to have the credit bureau prove to them of their incompetence. Sorry practices - in more than one way.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2015

Each visit to Western Dental became more complicated due to miscommunication. Most of my issues with them are in regards to communication. The actual surgeries went okay. I have Aspergers Syndrome, allergic to Flouride, and ** doesn't work on me. Before Western Dental, we spent almost 2 years looking for a dentist that would take my insurance, and had facilities to handle people who are immune to **.

I went to them to get dentures. When they did the "wax" temp version to see if I liked it, it didn't fit right. I told them it was too bulgy in the front, but they insisted it was right. I tried to tell them again it was not right, and again they insisted it was right. At some point, I would think that they thought I had an issue with the wax on the inside (not the case, I know that will be there on the inside, and I am ok with that part). Wanting to avoid conflict with a third attempt to tell them it was wrong, I accepted the sample, regardless of how I felt I had to force my lips closed because of how big and forward the front teeth were. Wanting to avoid a conflict with arguments, I decided to agree with them, despite my own opinion.

Another problem, they had a bad habit of walking away from me while I am trying to talk to them. I went home, spoke to some friends, and they encouraged me to put my foot down, speak my mind, not let them argue, and for me to insist the dentures get adjusted, or replaced, and if needs be, that Western Dental should eat the cost. So when I was scheduled to have the rest of my teeth removed and replaced with dentures, I told them, this is not right. They told me that they cannot adjust it. They told me they made them to match my current teeth (that was a mistake, because the teeth they matched it with are some old crowns, that were not only purposely made too big, but had been shoved forward after I had some teeth removed). I tried to explain to them about my crowns, and why they are not something to match to, but the lady walks away.

Next I know, my driver comes to my dental chair, starts going on about what they were trying to do. I was not paying attention because I was waiting for him to tell me something having to do with my check getting written correctly (since I could not be in the waiting room to handle it, long story). I say to him, "what does this have to do with anything," and he huffs, and walks out. Next I know, the dentist people told me that if we can't keep our voices down, they would ask us to leave. I told them, "Who invited him to come back here?" and she did not know (later I find out that he was asked to come back there, because the lady had no idea what I was talking about).

I tried to insist that they adjust it, and they insisted they cannot change it. I told them if they cannot change it then they need to make me new ones. They told me they cannot make new ones because if they did it would come out the same. They have to make it that way. I told them it is not right. At some point, they accused me of refusing my dentures. I never did.

Overwhelmed with frustration, feeling falsely accused (a trauma reminder), dealing with a driver I did not like, dealing with my payee messing up my copay check for a second time (and trying to make sure they can get paid, which was already late), and dealing with a physical distraction that is not related to dental was too much for me to handle. Overwhelmed by all the negative stimulus, I slipped into a fight-or-flight, by curving up in a ball in their reception area, and I was unable to move myself.

They had my driver/caregiver come get me and I went home, without my dentures. Next I know, they had called my payee/mother (legal representative) but she could not understand them, so she handed the phone to my driver (who also cares for my mother) to talk to them. I never heard that call. My driver told me that they said they are banning me from all Western Dentals. When I asked why, he said it was over the "Incident" and that they used that word, "incident" and that word refers to my autistic fit. They should not even be talking to my driver. He is not my legal representative. They had talked to him when I was in their office, I told them not to speak to him about what to do with my dental care, but they did anyways, several times. (The driver is fired now for other issues).

I had called their corporate and asked, "How can I get my dentures?" and they told me that they are sending me a letter of Termination of Care. I asked again how to get my dentures, and they told me they had already answered (which felt pretty demeaning to be talked down to like that, not the first time they have treated me and lectured me for communication things). I asked, "What was the answer?" and they told me they are sending a letter of termination of care... I do not know how that is an answer!

As it is right now, I still have my upper teeth that need to be removed, again suffered a burst abscess in one of the teeth (which is the second time it's happened, and sometimes is life-threatening). I've gone to emergency room several times because of this. Today I am dealing with tingling in my face which I can feel maybe tied to my rotting teeth that needed to be taken care of years ago (I did not get it taken care of because my previous dentist gave up on me because of my screaming when the ** wasn't working).

I need special treatment because of my conditions, and with Obama Care, Western Dental was the only place we could find that would take my insurance. Now, I have no dentist, and suffer daily from rotten teeth. I have no idea where my dentures are. They are paid for, they were ready to be put in when I was there. I never got them into my possession, and I tried, several times, to obtain them, but failed. I cannot even go to another dentist to have them put them in, because I don't even have them in my possession.

I don't think my insurance will pay for another pair, I have no idea how I am going to get dentures at this point. And for them to go to my driver, repeatedly, to ask about what to do for my care, when he is not a legal representative (and I do not trust his choices) is just more forms of something messed up. They also lectured me on my behavior, and lectured me for repeating myself, which just adds to my frustration. Add to this, my cousin and my grandma have had issues with them too. I can't sue them, because I signed a paper saying I wouldn't sue, a required signing thing they need before they would initiate dental care.

I am desperate for a dentist. My teeth are so sick, so much pain, I have to take ** to counter it. I am okay and cool and look forward to the actual dental surgery part. Even when I was screaming from the previous dentist, I said for him to ignore my screaming because I couldn't help it, and continue the work I desperately need.

I do not know of any dentist who will take my insurance, and is successful in communicating with Asperger Syndrome, and set up to handle my immunity to **. As you can see by this post, I type a lot, I speak many words in real life, but most of my struggles involves timing, volume and other non-verbal aspects of communication. Most people aren't accustomed to dealing with me. I consider myself a nice person, just misunderstood. Western Dental was my last hope, and I'm now banned from all their facilities. I have no idea how I can get my teeth taken out now, so they continue to rot in my mouth, and I suffer.

I might be able to phrase this post better, but I don't want to spend several hours editing my text amidst my dental pain to satisfy everyone else's desires for brief statements. The right idea comes across, if only you have patience to read. I'll keep the text here as it is, because I feel like editing kinda hides how I actually feel like communicating. I don't think about what I say beforehand, it just comes out. but I always speak honestly, no matter what.

My aunt is helping me communicate further with these people, to get my dentures, since I can't seem to talk to neutraltypicals without issues. I feel let down by Western Dental, verbally mistreated, and very misunderstood. And they are withholding MY property, my dentures. I have a bad feeling they threw them away, believing their false accusation that I refused them. Only time will tell at this point, we wait for a reply from my aunt's letter.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2015

My daughter went for a consult for Ortho. The first visit everyone was nice and friendly...explained everything and also gave me the info for Yelp and asked we give them a good review. Based on our experience from that first visit I did go on Yelp and give them a good review. That's when everything went to hell.

Next visit no more extreme polite and friendly. And that would have even been all right...but their billing from day 1 has been a nightmare from hell. I told them from the start I get paid on the 10th. I will use my banks e-bill feature but that my payment would not be available until the 15th. The girl that signed me up said "No problem, we will make your due date 15." Well they didn't. So for the first 4 months every month even though I paid on the 14th or 15th they would hassle my daughter saying her payments were late. They also charged me late fee after late fee. So I paid a month ahead. I assumed that would alleviate the problem. I made 2 payments one month and paid all their damn late fees. The 800# told me this would solve it.

Well it didn’t. They refused to waive any of their late fees, and continued to charge me. So I finally had to just pay all of the late fees, and make another 2 payments and they said my new due date would be 15th. Problem solved right? Wrong. The past 2 months my payments posted on the 15th but once again they are harassing my daughter and charging me 2 more late fees. Please for the love of God do not go here...and if you do don't finance anything....

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

3 years ago I made an appointment at Western Dental in Oxnard CA to get braces for my uneven teeth. The orthodontics examined me and notified me that he would need my two canine teeth removed. Therefore he sent me to see one of his dentist being that I didn't have a personal dentist or dental insurance. The dentist removed my two canine teeth. The assistants seem that they didn't know anything - no experience and after two week of that procedure, I was able to begin with my braces procedure.

Once I got my braces on I was informed that I would need to have them applied for 2 years. So the two years passed and I got my braces removed but I was not satisfied with the end results. They then had a new orthodontics in the building taking over my case. One of my teeth was still uneven and longer than the rest so the orthodontics grinded down my uneven tooth to even it out. He also told me he needed to remove my 4 wisdom teeth to make more room (which is the reason I got my two canine teeth removed). I was told I would only need to use my retainers for a year and only remove them when I would have a meal. After that I would only need to use my retainers at night.

More than a year has passed and they have not contacted me to check up on my recovery. I still need to wear my retainers all day because after 15 min of having them removed I could feel pressure on my teeth and the orthodontist did not properly grind my tooth - in fact it is worse. "I want my money back so I can go to another dentist that knows what he's doing." The reason I went with Western Dental cause I didn't have no dental insurance, but it was a mistake to go with them!!!

Western Dental & Orthodontics Company Information