1.97/5
Based on 29 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

YRC Freight

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 5, 2017

29 YRC Freight Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I purchase a wide range of product from various distributors. Whenever I see YRC, I cringe knowing that the product will be stuck on the dock and no one will return phone calls. Recently an otherwise reputable distributor decided to utilize YRC on one of my shipments that had a critical time frame of less than 4 days. 2 weeks and several phone calls from both myself and the distributor later and we still do not have the product. Whenever you speak to the dispatcher the dispatcher will transfer you to their "clerk" which appears to be a voicemail that never gets checked. Truly the most awful LTL freight company I have ever seen. Many excuses are given by customer service but there will never.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We manufacture and ship pallets of canoe oars (oars shipped one pair/custom box {8.25" x 3.25" X 42"}, five boxes per staggered layer, 20 layers per plastic wrapped skid, each skid overall measures 42 inches x 42 inches x 70, 8 lbs per cubic foot at NMFC class 85) going to California for about $235.00 each shipment for the last 6 months and have had at least five issues via direct YRC and third party logistics freight companies regarding a class change to Class 150 at the Kansas City hub for rate hike from $2235.00 to almost $600.00 per shipment.

Photos of shipment on our dock, weight from our certified scale and signature of pick-up driver confirms shipment. When the shipment hits Kansas City Hub for freight break to California, it is routinely 'measured by laser'. We have received photos of our skid on the KC facility and wonder-of-wonders a piece of handy rectangular cardboard has been placed on angle on the top of the skid which skews the laser reading to less than 8lb per cu ft. changing the class. Once was an anomaly, three, four times is beyond coincidence!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

AWFUL Customer Service! There is no surprise that everywhere I look YRC Freight has terrible reviews. I rarely take the time to formally complain but today was absolutely ridiculous. I work for a television station and we get shipments on at least a weekly basis. The driver delivering four 12 foot trusses today complained about backing into a large gate on our commercial property with a truck half the size of other delivery drivers who do so without one complaint or issue. Then once we assured him he could do it, he complained and huffed about there not being adequate loading docks. He then shuffled the trusses to the end of the truck, refused to take them out and made two of our employees, one an almost 70 year old man get up and remove them from his truck.

Yes, he refused to even remove the merchandise from HIS delivery truck! I then called the company to inquire and they said it is at the driver's discretion and choice if they want to help with merchandise. I have never heard of this! We receive shipments of large items ALL the time and have helped people when need it, but have NEVER had a deliverer refuse to assist in the delivery. The man on the phone was not rude but completely unapologetic and didn't care one bit. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Shipped three crate, they lost one, we had additional expenses to recreate items in the lost crate, then on the second move they found the crate and the other crates when moved to the second stop, they did not honor their previously issued rate quote... I have been in this business of shipping things for 40 years and this company will never see my freight again.

Original review: July 28, 2017

How does this company stay in business? From the spa company… "your cover has been shipped on July 19 via Yellow freight tracking number **. Once the cover arrives in your area (1-5 business days) someone from the company will be in touch to schedule an appointment.” Estimate DELIVERY date according to YRC tracking 7/26... that is a Wednesday. On Thursday I call and she says do I want it Friday or next week!!?? I stipulate Friday. She guesses between 9 and noon. Do I want a half hour notice... Yes. Fast forward Friday 11:45... No word. I call... girl gets guy to come on the line. "Mix up we only found out about an hr and a half ago. We don't come up there… we will hand it off to Diamond lines. Probably be Monday. They will call." Would I ever… with intent… hire these folks? No.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about YRC Freight?

Original review: July 26, 2017

Shipping product with this company is not reliable. On two different occasions I've had issues with deliveries. The latest issue was freight not moving. We have had 3 pallets of product sitting in their Chicago terminal and not moving for 5 days. They missed their delivery date by 7 days when product was to be delivered. The issue before was they didn't get the product loaded on the truck the morning of my delivery and we had to wait additional 24 hours for our product. Again they missed their delivery time. I will not use this company again.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have scheduled 6 separate delivery dates with YRC Freight to deliver a chair and they have yet to show up. They don't even call to say they aren't coming, they just don't show up. Each time they don't show up I have to leave several messages to simply get someone to call me back. When I do get someone on the phone, they don't even apologize or give a reason the delivery was missed. They could care less. They just schedule another delivery date.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Overall Relationship with YRC - Sent a shipment 6/29/17 via YRC - shipment made it to Baltimore, MD 7/6/17 destination Fort Meade, MD. The shipment is still sitting in the terminal as of today 7/18/2017. We were told the driver that delivers to Fort Meade was on vacation, and he is the only driver with security access to the base. He must have been on vacation for a week and a half??? We finally had to send someone to the terminal to pick up our shipment, after sending in a request on our letterhead for pick up. Our employee was met with a very unprofessional and unorganized terminal. We will not be using YRC for anything in the future, and suggest you do not.

Original review: July 8, 2017

Me and my printing company both agreed that this is a first time and will be the last time we will use this company because they are very unreliable about the date/time for delivery. Not only do they have a bad operator but also delivery man too. Worst of the worst company.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Too bad 0 stars isn't an option. I had a scheduled delivery (confirmed by e-mail) that didn't make it. Spoke with the same person that sent the e-mail confirming date and time only to be told by her that they don't do scheduled deliveries... just windows. They missed their 8-12 pm delivery window and told me to wait for 12-5... sorry had to reschedule. Rescheduled for a week later 8-12 pm window only to be told that now it is 12-5... to be called at 2 p.m. That they had "bad news" that the truck broke down and they can do it tomorrow. They had me waiting for 7 hours before calling me to tell me that. If you are a small business owner like myself and pay good money for a delivery you expect it to be there when scheduled. The worst part is they don't answer the phone... so good luck if you think someone is going to help you track your delivery. I missed 2 FULL days of work and I still have not received my 7 pallet delivery. WORST COMPANY!!!

Original review: June 6, 2017

YRC has absolutely terrible customer service! My company has been using YRC for 5 years to move our freight. I recently had them pick up 3 wrapped pallets and take them to California. Upon arrival my employees noticed that a banner that we just had designed & printed was missing off our pallet. The banner was completely secured in between other boxes and the trucking company opened our pallet and threw it away thinking it was garbage. I had written on the tall cardboard box "BANNER" because it was so lightweight I was worried it would be discarded. My concerns were warranted because it was missing off the pallet after they reconstructed it.

I started the claim process and they denied it because they said that it wasn't reported when it was received that it was missing. HELLO, we were in NY and not in CA yet to even see the pallets as they were shipped early. Plus the person who packaged the pallet is different than who is in California. It wouldn't be possible for the employee in CA to know that an item is missing until all 3 pallets are unloaded and set up which takes 8 hours at minimum. I had then took it a step farther and tried to have them reevaluate the claim and explained the situation. They stated they needed an invoice for EVERY item that was on the pallet (INCLUDING all 9,000 miscellaneous items; many of them are handmade. Why would I have to do that when they are not what's lost??

So what I did is...I sent them a copy of the invoice that we had for the brand new, never used, banner that was for our booth. I have sent them proof of text messages with my staff showing that the banner was missing along with photos of the pallet with the banner not there. Our booth was fully set up at the trade show with no company banner up. I submitted a claim and they denied it! They deny a $125 claim when I have spent $20,000 - $25,000 with them in the past 5 years!! NEVER again!

Original review: May 22, 2017

Trying to work out a billing issue for a transmission that was drop shipped and then returned to the same company who is a client of YRC Freight -- for one of our customers. We never had an agreement with YRC. We never contacted them. Now all of a sudden the invoice is overcharged (by $121.89) and has our name on it. When you try to work it out with them - they state policies that were never agreed to.

The signature of this bill of lading does not belong to anyone in our shop. We are a stand up - do right small business. YRC wastes your time and play games. AVOID THEM. It will cost you more than originally stated and talking to them is a frustratingly giant waste of time. And anyone who ships with them probably has the same business philosophy of 'grab the money - where & how you can.'

Original review: May 22, 2017

AWFUL, rude, unreliable, and unprofessional - I got called to schedule a delivery last Friday. After rearranging my whole day around this, nobody ever showed up. I have been calling the local office all day trying to find out what is going on and nobody is picking up the phone. I called Customer Service at the main office and they were horribly rude and unhelpful, wouldn't even try to help me locate my tracking number, lied about what they could do (they said they couldn't help me find a tracking number although on their website it says that they can; they are just too lazy to do anything). DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: April 7, 2017

These people are horrible, they are rude and they will never want to work something out for a delivery. You have to work within their schedule. I waited for a delivery from them all day, so I decided to call their office to ask for a status. They told me that they were not delivering because of the weather, that wasted my day, which I asked off. So I went back to work, only to find that their driver attempted delivery later on. Talk about wrong communication between their office employees and driver. When I tried calling them, they are rude over the phone, especially the manager, raising his voice and trying to prove he's right. He needs to learn how to talk to customer. I don't ever recommend using this company. Use another company that invest in their customers.

Original review: March 7, 2017

I shipped an adjustable base for a mattress to my mother in New Mexico from Davenport, Iowa. Got an online quote based on dimensions - after shipment, they sent me a additional bill for over 1/3rd their quote - claimed my dimensions were incorrect. I had pictures of the carton being measured as well as an email from the manufacturer stating shipping dimensions. I forwarded this to them only to get an email back stating they were right and I was wrong - email came so soon there's no doubt in my mind that they even considered it. I wish I had read the online review of this shady company. Avoid them unless you want to be scammed.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

Amazingly poor service. I've used them three times now per an underwritten contract I cannot avoid. Twice they didn't make it the day scheduled. A rude customer service rep told me I could only schedule between 1-3 pm for pickups. On the third pickup they arrived at 11:30 and I was on schedule for 1 pm... following their RULES! They scheduled my 2000 lb. shipment for the next day. At 2 pm I called the local dispatch and was told he was on his way and would arrive before 3 pm. Nope. No one ever showed on day 2, which was a Friday. I called dispatch multiple times after 3 pm. No one answered the phone.

Later I contacted YRCs customer service who didn't know anything about my shipment but finally found it in their system. It was not rescheduled for Monday!!! Dispatch and the driver just went home for the weekend. No one called me Friday afternoon to tell me. Waited 8 hours Friday. Poor trucking company. Horrible communication.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

Horrible does not begin to describe my experience with YRC Freight. I chatted online with them at 8:00 am on 11/23. First they had my delivery address as a PO box, not. Then they had another address listed that was 30 miles from me, again not. No delivery was scheduled and was told to call Mary in the Portland office @ 9:00 am. Did not hear back and did a 2nd online chat. Was told by Larry that I refused delivery at 5:30 pm that day, it was 9:30 am! He realized that was stupid and transferred me to Marni at the warehouse in Portland, Or. Marni said Home Depot screwed up, she didn't have my phone number, which she now has because I called and promised me twice that she would make sure that it was on a truck for delivery. I told her my husband could come get it. She said, "No it would be delivered between 12:00 and 4:00.

At 3:30 I did a 3rd online chat to see where the truck was and was told I refused delivery AGAIN! Idiots. I was transferred back to the warehouse to be told by an insufferable woman named Rhonda that my rug was NEVER put on a truck. She said that customer service should be fired for transferring my call?! She told me she would have the rug pulled and tagged and ready for my husband to pick up. My husband got there and the rug was NOT pulled or tagged and she told the guy in the warehouse that she had NO idea what my husband was talking about. I was lied to ALL day and every employee of YRC Freight that I spoke with blamed somebody else. This is a horribly run organization that powers at be must be terrible employers.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

If you like damaged or destroyed shipments this is your freight company. One shipment destroyed and 2 subsequent replacement shipments damaged. One beyond repair and one I gave up and had repaired locally. They denied my second claim after months of asking for backup etc. I told them I still have the damaged railing and they could have it. They emailed saying they were reviewing the claim then denied it and never reimbursed us for the shipping on any.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

It was about the same price as other shipping companies. Not a great deal, but not bad overall. The price was good for the service, because the service was good. So I didn't feel like I overpaid. The quality of service was very good. The package arrived on time and in good condition. The claims process was simple, and the price reflected the quality of service. So I would recommend using this service to others. It took three days for the package to be delivered, and I expected it within two to five days. So it arrived on the early end of the estimated time. But I've rarely had an experience with other companies where a package arrived late, so arriving on time was expected.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

We had to ship several machines to a few different dealers in the same state and the price to ship these items were very reasonable. Better than any other shipping company that we checked out. We have never had any trouble with claims. Always very professional and accurate... Very satisfied with this company over all. Very polite people. Always a pleasant experience when we deal with them. Our Product has always been shipped with quality and care. We have never received any complaints from our customers saying their machines have been broken when they have been shipped through this company. Transit time was ok... Was pretty much the same as other shipping companies but was still satisfied with my experience with this company. They were superior to the other shipping companies put there.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

While the services provided were above par, certainly, the price still struck me as unreasonably high, and did not seem to factor in other consumer costs inherent in the process. The claims process was well-managed and efficient, and I personally ran into no issues whatsoever in claiming items. It was easy, and hassle-free, and it was ultimately successful. The quality of care was good, not great, but exactly what you'd expect. I still felt it did not not balance out with the high price, but it was certainly sufficient enough. While the transit time for my experience certainly wasn't speedy, it was also exactly what the company promised. That is to say, there was no false advertising and everything stayed true to schedule.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

They offer great discounts and let you compare them to National and others. They shipped some furniture for office at a discount over what 2 others quoted us. We didn't have any claims to process, there were no problems, we tracked our freight online and knew when it would arrive. Everything went as promised. Arrived on time, no bumps, no bruises so to speak. I'm a satisfied customer. They gave a fair and unbeatable price. Our shipment went as scheduled. There were no surprises which was great! It was the in less than 2 days and my boss was happy. He wanted to use a competitor but after l talked with a representative we changed our mind. I checked the picture k up time online and then my boss checked it the next day to see where it was. Our office furniture was there on time to be ready to open the new location.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

Price was very competitive compared to other freight companies. We use to ship pallets all over the US and they were always on time and the price was always good. Almost always the shipment was delivered without an issue. But when we had any issues, filing a claim took some time due to the investigation that they follow on their side.

Quality of service is good. The estimates were always accurate in respect of the date and time a delivery would be done. Also, the representatives always made sure I was satisfied with the service, and quotes. Shipments were always delivered according to what I was quoted. Delivery was always fast and accurate. In fact, some of my incoming shipments were delivered early.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

The price was reasonable and the service was wonderful. It didn't take long and for how long it did take the price was quite fair. I would recommend this to other people. Especially if they are looking for a fair price. The process to claim items was slightly more annoying than most places solely because I personally couldn't find my belongings. I had a hard time finding someone to help me with my claims as well. I'm very satisfied over. I won't put my own personal problem in the way of the fact that the people and the process wasn't a bad price nor was I overall dissatisfied. Transit time wasn't something I could complain about at all. It wasn't too long or anything like that. I am overall very happy.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

Not too expensive and not too cheap, sort of standard and in the middle, like all standard and normal. Agents were communicative and responsive to my inquiries, and answered most of my questions, which was to my absolute and utmost satisfaction. I found my experience to be overall a satisfactory one.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

The price was very affordable and well within my budget. I was very happy because many other companies prices were through the roof and well past my budget. The claims process for this company was very easy to navigate and very accommodating. I felt very valued as a customer through this company. The quality of products and services that this company offers is fantastic. I could not have asked for a better experience with this company or any other. I was quite happy with the transit time of the products I had ordered. I needed them in an efficient time span and that is exactly what I got.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

Yrc Freight is often the cheapest means to ship my palettes across the country. They have experienced drivers and quick service with zero issues. Fortunately, I have not had to do with the claims process yet. They always provide quick and reliable service and have bore damaged any I'd the products I've shipped. Nothing to be upset about. They deliver perfectly. I have not had any issues with their service and have used them dozens of times. They have only been late one time due to traffic beyond their control. Their dispatcher called to inform me right away and gave me an updated ETA.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

I believe it was worth the price. Their services was about average. There was nothing special or unique compared to other services. Their service was adequate as it was to be expected. If you understand how it works, claiming your items is not at all difficult. Just be sure to follow the instructions for claiming your items. The quality is about average for its services, which is good if they want to keep their customers happy with their services. I'm okay with it so far. Transit time is okay, nothing too special about it. But I am satisfied with their transit time. Hopefully, they make improvements to their services.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

It was a con. They sent a super low quote and then once I was all packed and loaded they then said it was gonna be twice as much as quoted. I had no choice. They broke lots of bits, and when I tried to claim they just kept saying it was not their fault. They also said that I was lying and that they did nothing wrong. They did not care about me or my move. They were sloppy and just threw things around. It was a really bad level of quality. They just do not care. My stuff was "lost" for about 3 weeks. They were holding it for us and could not find it. When they finally did find it, it was on the other side of the country.

YRC Freight expert review by ConsumerAffairs

YRC Freight is the largest subsidiary of YRC Worldwide Inc. with corporate headquarters in Overland Park, Kansas. The company transports industrial, commercial and retail goods, and it specializes in solutions for businesses across North America through a full-service network.  There are also options for international shipping of imports and exports.

• Easy quoting: Get a fast and easy quote by filling out an online form. There’s no need to register or sign in to get a quote, and you can secure your quote quickly with a credit card payment.
    • Multiple service options: Choose from three service options: standard, accelerated and time-critical. Time-critical service operates on weekends and holidays at no extra charge to you. Get your freight where it needs to go on time and without a hassle.
    • Special services: YRC Freight handles special services beyond standard freight, including shipping for trade shows, military, retail and hazardous materials.
    • Logistics solutions: No matter what the situation calls for, YRC Freight is ready to handle it. Their logistics solutions include white glove service, specialized equipment, air freight forwarding and reverse logistics. They can also handle custom projects, such as a roll out or new store opening, with a completely customized solution.
    • Easy pickup request: Need to schedule a pickup for today? No problem. Simply fill out the “request a pickup” form on YRC Freight’s website to request and schedule your pickup.
    • Best for: YRC Freight is best for commercial and retail businesses who need to ship domestically or overseas.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs