2. Moving
  3. Shipping Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5
Based on 2,431 ratings submitted in the last year

USPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

The inefficiencies of the US Postal "Service" absolutely blow my mind - and have so for the last 20 years! Mis-delivered mail is way too common. I always make an effort to get it to the right recipient. Can't always count on everyone doing that. That's what's scary. TWICE, a letter was delivered to me - clearly not the right address. I put it back in the mailbox - at a USPS office in the next town. I discovered it in my mailbox AGAIN two days later. Unfrigginbelievable! I applied to a job there and jumped through the completely outrageous hoops involved. They told me to go take a drug test - which is the very last thing any employer does before actual hire. I did so at great expense and effort. I haven't heard from them. I am a teetotaler. Don't drink, don't smoke... goody two shoes. I know I passed. No way at all to converse with a human there.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

I had to send a package overnight which contained Professional Cinema Camera Drives which she allowed me to take home so I could download the footage we shot that day. I wanted to get the drives back to her ASAP so she could work on other projects and didn't have a lot of money so I decided to use USPS PRIORITY flat rate (1~3 days) packaging. I thought the key words "PRIORITY" and "OVERNIGHT" were representative of the service I was expecting.

Flash to almost a month, dozens of phone calls, hours of waiting and/or being placed on hold and 3 total hang-ups, I received the original package back at my location (not the recipient's). To top it off, it looked like this. So not only did they not get it to the recipient and sent it back to me having to start from scratch but we incurred rental fees for when we need to use the product and had to rent it from a professional store.

Nobody at USPS knew where the package was or how to even find out. The average answer I received was "Until it gets scanned again we can't know where the package is and you just have to wait until that happens". It's like ordering a cheap product from a third world country. It looks like a great deal but in actuality it's a fraud. You just don't expect this from the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT. Or maybe you do. The salt on my wounds were when last night I saw a commercial on TV for USPS PRIORITY mail stating how "YOU WERE" their priority. Ha!!! Thanks for putting up with my ranting.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

My experience with Virginia Postal Services is horrible. They always lose your mail then make you pay to have it found. What a rip off. And they never deliver your mail to the right address. I feel so insecure because of the confidential mail I have been missing always ends up at a neighbor house. I mean what can we do about this besides complain. This system is screwed up. Here I am very pissed off about all the mail I am missing too. I moved to a new address which is like a curse here too because you may not see your mail for months after signing up online and filling out address change slips which is not right at all. Here I am three months later still haven't got 1 piece of mail here yet. I am fed up with this agency here??? Then if you are in the ghetto your mail boxes will be broken up or mail all over the ground and the mail carriers do not care at all. They truly suck here.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

I am having a huge issue with delivery of mail and packages. It started in 2015 when I had to replace my trash can 3 times prompting me to install security cameras. What I found is that if the trash men placed the can near the mailboxes after emptying them, my mailman would ram them with their vehicle. I filed a complaint on the USPS website and shortly after my mailman left a notice threatening to cut off my mail service if I inconvenienced him again. That notice was left on a trash day when the cans had been hit by the mailman again.

After the threat to cut off my mail service I filed another complaint online and the mailman has switched to abusing my packages or refusing to deliver them. The favorite seems to be leaving packages on top of the mailbox by the street for anyone to see and take. If the packages are too big or too many they get tossed out the window near the mailbox even if there is a puddle and it's raining. In one case there were about 6 small individual packages, after about the third one the mailman got tired of placing them on top of the mailbox and started throwing them in the drainage ditch next to the mailbox. Sometimes they fill out "sorry we missed you" slips even as I am walking up to the mailbox.

The postmaster at 78653 doesn't seem to be able or willing to fix the issues. I have talked to several neighbors that have similar issues but are unwilling to pursue them after being told that their mail service would be cut off by the same postman. I do not know the mailman's name but he drives a black Jeep Patriot Texas out of the 78653 Manor TX Post office. Recently I started saving the video footage and uploading it to YouTube to attract attention to the issue. There have been 6 instances in the last two months, 5 of them I have posted online.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

Of the last three packages I had scheduled to be delivered by the USPS, two were lost and never left the origin facility. The package that was delivered was supposed to be 2-3 day delivery and took over a week. This organization has become a disgrace. They keep raising prices but the quality decreases. I always try to select another option for delivery and am willing to pay more to avoid USPS. The USPS should be ashamed of what they have become. Worst parcel delivery by far.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

I understand that Monday was Columbus day, but to go on with no mail for 4 days? This is outrageous and unacceptable! We have bills to pay, I am still waiting on a check that needs to be deposited in the bank, so I can pay someone. And forget this week, every other week on a normal one, we get our mail like at 6:00-7:00 pm. This shouldn't be happening, we need our bills so we don't have past due on bills, and etc.

Just every day, the mailman changes and we don't know if a mail has been lost or not. Customer service does NOT care, nor does anything about. Ok it's a government service, but something has to be done about, and can't be ignored!!! Seriously 4 days without mail, is not right. This is not how things are done, and can keep on happening.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

I seldom receive my packages on the expected delivery dates and many are misdirected. As for international mail and international packages, I usually have to wait for at least two weeks for them to clear customs at Chicago ISC. I often get packages that have been damaged either in transit or by a mail carrier. The process of filing a claim is lengthy and inconvenient as well. If I were to run a business the way that they do I would be out of a job in no time. Currently one of my packages from China has been sent from Chicago to Kansas and now to New Hampshire. My problem with this is that I live in Minnesota and the package was sent on the tenth of October.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

We live in a residential area and our mail delivery leaves something to be desired. The mail person never rings the doorbell when a package has to be signed for! Today again - it is 06:45pm and a day after a holiday - NO MAIL! Local station says when mail is not delivered by 06:00pm it will be delivered the next day!!! Unacceptable!!!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I never got a package that was supposedly delivered at my foreign address. I have called, sent emails, used their online tools and I always get different information but I still can't find my package. It has been a whole month. Nobody ever answers the phone number of the specific Postal Office and obviously the mailbox is always full.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

This was a very bizarre event. I am not disclosing what state or city I live in because I like where I am living, and don't want it to reflect poorly on the City. This is probably one or two bad apples in the midst of many good ones where I live. But first, the USPS agent I spoke to at first said the item was indeed signed for on 19th September 2016, and delivered. First, I never signed for it; and then, I said no such thing appeared on my computer. So I filed a case, and then when a supervisor at the actual local post office called me, she put me on hold and asked the carrier about the item, she said she had made an arrangement with me to leave it in my mailbox with the signature card. It was left in my mailbox, per my request, as I have a signature card.

I had to do that because they would lie and put that signature confirmation card in my mailbox and say I didn't answer the door. Probably because they don't want to walk up the steps. But anyway, the post office agent I spoke to incidentally told me that should not have been done by them in the first place. But after I said that was impossible, and that it was NOT left in my mailbox, then she asked her again, and she said her assistant knocked on my door (I was home) and then proceeded to put it in my mailbox.

But before that, she must have gotten nervous or something because she asked me if I wanted her to send me the signature she claimed was my own; which she never did. How could it have been left in my mailbox, and have me sign for it also?? It's true what they say, "A liar needs a good memory". She obviously didn't. So on the 24th of September 2016, my neighbor who is in number 10, knocks on my door and gives me the package! She said it was in her mailbox. This was after 6 days.

My neighbor always checks her mail everyday and would not have waiting that long to give me my package. This makes no sense. So, something isn't right here. Why would a carrier know that I am in Apartment 11, and then put it in 10, after an attempt to knock on my door? In addition to that, my signature card that's left in my mailbox, indicates that knocking on my door wasn't even necessary. I want to document this and warn other buyers and sellers of this very obviously an attempted theft, this kind of thing is getting worse. This was an attempted theft in my opinion. After I reported it to the fraud division it suddenly shows up that Saturday? Beware, buyers and sellers. There are charlatans at many USPS offices. Use USP or FedEx for International mail as much as possible.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

Got a Mac makeup gift card stolen from the USPS Memphis, Tn office. I called and was assured they would look between the machines and call me back. I spoke to Pamela ** a customer relations coordinator and she still to this day didn't call me back. I left her several messages and she finally sent a letter saying "we are sorry, it's lost." They suck, horrible customer service and can barely understand their English at that office. Just a hot mess. Never again will I use USPS.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I think I don't have to repeat all other people's complaints of the deliveries, lost and stolen mails, nowhere to complain, USPS phone number is only a machine. I am just gonna vent about their horrendous website issues that they are not bothering to fix for years. First of all, DO NOT pay extra money to track your mail as their website is ALWAYS broken and your mail cannot be tracked.

I swear, I paid 5 times more for the tracking and their website tracking system is broken, so I tried to go ask for refund. A ** lady came out with horrible attitude like she's the court judge and told me that there's no refund on tracking as long as the mail has delivered. What's the point of getting tracking if there's no tracking, and who gave them the right for no refund when the payment for tracking does not work? Yes, they talk like they are the government officer because the government back them up and you can't sue them since USPS is part of the government department. What a third world country huh!

Furthermore, I have a PO Box with them for years. Amazingly, I can never renew my PO Box rental fee with their broken website. Their "never heard of" auto-pay system only ATTEMPT to charge your card once in every 2 weeks, so if your due date is in between their 2 weeks before their next charging attempt, good luck, YOU ARE LATE and your PO Box will get cleared out within 10 days after the due date. And there is no option for PAY IT NOW and their so-called ONE-TIME PAYMENT never exist on their website due to their website glitches which their staffs admit but won't do a thing about it.

When I emailed them and told them their website issue and my problem on paying, someone finally responded with a generic answer copied and pasted from their website, and I wrote to them again, and they reply is if I can't go to the local PO Box office, I am screwed! I swear to God, I was shocked when I read what the staff replied me as telling me it is what it is with their system and I should solve the problem myself or my PO Box will get cleared out.

Their system refuses to charge my card ON TIME, and there's no PAY NOW option at all (they keep saying there is when their website has issues and never bother to fix), and they accuse me of late payment. And they refuse to charge my card over the phone or email, or at one of their other locations/kiosks. We are like living in the '70s that I have to show up at the exact office where my PO Box is in order to pay. It doesn't allow anyone to be out of town and yet, it's a PO Box! Hooray!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

I've had the same item tried to be delivered to my office building twice. Each time, the item says delivered, but it is nowhere to be found. Why doesn't USPS offer a proof of delivery for first class packages??? SO DISAPPOINTED. USPS has lost so many packages, and refuse to refund me even when I have insurance. What kind of people are they hiring?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

USPS damaged another one of my items. How does USPS get away with having the most unscrupulous customer service in the world. Their website is prehistoric and seldom works... There is no wonder the USPS loses billions of dollars every year. Simple solution privatize it all, hand it to FedEx, UPS, DHL... I try not to use the USPS. Most of my packages are shipped via FedEx ground. I cannot get human on the phone at USPS customer service. When I email them they tell me to call customer service even though I state clearly I cannot get a human on the phone. Their claims process is useless...

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

We have lived in Lakeland, FL, for about 5 years now, and the local post office is a joke - one of the most incompetent, disorganized, and crazy bunch of lazy people I have ever dealt with. First, we get mail from about 3 blocks away in our box (which means they probably get some of ours too). Secondly, the carriers have inconsistent times and then miss half of the street sometimes. One carrier in particular - a fat woman who stays at the local Dollar Store in the bathroom for too long - even was cleaning out her mail truck in front of our house! Also, packages have been lost - more so in the past couple of years than in my whole time of receiving mail in my life - and there are days when the mail carriers just drive around the neighborhood aimlessly without knowing what they are doing. And, oh yes - we never have the same carrier twice, save the fat woman previously mentioned, and that causes more confusion.

There have even been complaints from others about mail being embezzled or stolen by carriers on the postal routes here. I would recommend that a law be entertained that would hold the carrier liable for lost mail, and even criminal charges if necessary - if the carrier is not bringing mail when you know you should be getting it, it means they are accomplices to theft.

Resolution response: Sept. 23, 2016

Packages were found returned to me.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I own a business on eBay and Groupon. I have been using USPS to mail all of my orders for the last year. Like I also have a "normal" job, I am not able to make it to office times and always use the Kiosk late at night. For the last year, USPS has lost 0 of my packages till last week. September 9th, 2016, around 9-11 pm, I log in the Kiosk, print my labels and put all my packages in the collection box (as always) and send them in. Mind you, I have been using the same technique for a year now. A week later, I'm getting complaints of my customers not receiving their items. I search their tracking numbers and all of them seem to be stuck at that facility because they never got scanned again. Only the "Accepted" Scan was available. I kept receiving emails from angry customers and when I add all of them up, it was a total of 22 missing packages. For this reason, I lost money, got my account suspended and now owe over $2,000 in refunds.

I went down to the Post Office to resolve this issue and the supervisor was no help at all. She told me to contact USPS that she can't do anything about it. I contacted USPS and they just opened a case for me for each package. When it is 1, 2 or 3 packages lost, it is a loss but when it is 22 packages missing, it is more than obvious that someone stole them. They don't want to do an investigation and like they were First Class Mail they won't reimburse me. This is completely unacceptable. They need to do an investigation as to where are my packages. They have proof that I send them in the collection box (they have a camera pointing at the collection box) but they don't want to deal with the mess.

If someone is stealing packages from the Kiosk they need to find out who is doing it and either reimburse me for some of the packages or find the culprit. It is obvious that it's one of their USPS employees because 22 went missing. I need someone to give me advice as to what can be done. Because if they have camera proof of me putting them all inside the collection box then why not look what happens to my 22 packages once they are on the other side (inside) of the collection box. I have all my tracking numbers and they never got updated once accepted in that facility.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Been living at my newly assigned address (assigned 7 months ago by the building department) and my address is still not in the official USPS database. What do I have to do?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

We have been having concerns since December 2015 with our USPS located in zip code 34609. We have been receiving the former residents' mail and also a pension for an unknown person. Number attempts have me made to notify the USPS that this family does not live here. Each time we put the mail in the outgoing as moved and every month the mail keeps being delivered. I don't know what kind of intelligence the mail carriers have if the incorrect person's mail keep being delivered. Finally, a perishable items all displaying Protect from Heat are clearly indicated on the label, these items are left at the door when knowingly my wife is home cause the vehicle is parked in the driveway. No effort to knock or ring the bell was attempted only to drop perishables in excess of 90 degree heat. The company that shipped the items was notified and has to reship the item due this negligence.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I am very disappointed with the USPS packaging because I received it opened. I just wanted to give my feedback on this experience because I often order stuff that is delivered from USPS and I have never had this problem with an open package and I am very disappointed but overall satisfied that it took nearly a day or two from Wisconsin to Pomona, California.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

On 9/6/2016 a Orange Parcel Sorry We Missed You tag was placed in my LOCKED mailbox. On 9/13/16 went to local post office to actually pick up 2 pkgs with 2 slips. Was handed one, and Teresa told me she couldn't find the other one. Took name/phone /copy of tag-said she research and ask carrier. I waited, called next day, spoke with Supervisor, gave her track# and said it stated online it was delivered on 9/6/16. Only problem is- I NEVER picked it up, and still have slip left in box.

Now after 2 days, have been told by Supervisor/Postmaster - there is nothing they can do, it shows on their computer package was delivered on 9/6/16 given over the counter. Guess what? They gave my package to someone else, or perhaps someone stole my package from the post office? At any rate, I am out money spent for item purchased and shipped, and post office takes NO responsibility whatsoever! BEWARE... I might suggest using other sources for shipping items... since we have NO control over the employees who work at this site. Thanks for listening, just wanted others to know what's happening. I was told to call Consumer Affairs and file a complaint! Great customer service.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

This employee did not provide any customer service - we are not receiving all of our mail since she is the only one in this office most of the time and she is rude and unprofessional. We are not the only folk who have had awful experiences with her. We have requested a refund for a box that she assured we could not use, now we have no interest in using it. We want this complaint escalated as it has been over a month (30 DAYS) since we have paid, yet have not received mail and did not have access to this box that we paid to rent. Consumer affairs representative Pat said we could be assure of our mail coming without a problem and to expect our refund.

We have not received our refund from the USPS which was promised and is also noted in the case and we are not receiving mail that has been sent to our old address at the Red Oak office. We HAVE mail sent and have proof from the sender starting from the 23rd of August that has not been delivered to us. This is not a way to build good customer relations and business for the United States Post Office. Again, We have not received any service for this fee. INTEREST CAN BE ACCRUED ON FEES AS THIS IS NOT 30 DAYS SINCE PAYMENT AND NO SERVICE WAS PROVIDE NOR ACCESS AND USE OF BOX. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I wanted to mail a letter with couple pairs of kids' earrings. I checked on USPS website "Estimate Postage", picked the option that this is a regular first class. Letter with rigid objects, the estimated postage is 47c + 21c of non-machinery fee. But when I got inside the Berryessa Postal Office, the service woman told me it has to be sent as a package and the cost is $2.62 instead.

I also dropped a letter with a piece of cotton choker, the service woman said I would need to pay 20c non-machinery fee for it. Note she said 20c not 21c. I said I didn't think so because the letter is less than 3/4 of an inch which is limit of slot width for machine scanned mail. She insisted that I pay 20c more, I then asked to see her manager. She looked around and said it's my choice to drop the letter in the nearby mailbox, or paid her 20c for her to take the letter. I chose to drop in the mailbox.

I have got a feeling from her that she's just trying to make me pay more than needed. This is ridiculous to get this feeling of being cheated from a USPS service staff, I have always trusted USPS till then. Not sure if anything can be done about it, but just to share my experience. For people who trust USPS the same way as I had been, be alerted, watch out when you use their service and not to be ripped off.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I find it interesting that my bills always seem to show up but personal mail either mine coming in or mine going out has a 50% chance of making it to its location. Case in point mailing out first class 1 sheet of paper in a legal envelope with proper postage going to 20 different people with a Chicago or Chicago suburban addresses. Half of them make it, the other half, now where would they be? I have a return address on each piece of mail but was told by my Bartlett, Illinois post office that they no longer are required to return mail back to the sender. So the mail that I sent, the stamp I paid for just vanishes. This has been going on for over 10 years now with no explanation. However my electric, gas, phone bill, jury duty notification and alike all seem to magically make it to my doorstep. What the hell is going on here?? Seriously United States Postal Service what has happened to that last word in your title?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

Had a 2 day delivery of an Amazon order. Never arrived. USPS website says tried to deliver, notice left. A total lie, was home all day. No notice. Package wasn't a sign for package either, so all they had to do was leave it at front door or in mailbox. They lied so as to not have to answer to Amazon. Gov't run business as usual.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I live in a rural area. Moved 5 yrs ago. The postal service picked a site that is 150 feet from my house for the mailbox. My box looks like its just sitting there in the middle of the woods on the side of a lonely dirt road. Hunters came out. Needless to say, within the first 3 months 2 boxes were shot up. 5 bullet holes altogether. My house sits right behind that site. One of my bedroom windows were also shot. Police called. Nothing can be done because no one had seen it happen. Just was told to move the box. The postal service refused to allow the box to be moved.

I have not received any mail in over 4 years. I tried the po box thing, but with my handicap son it is hard for me to get out. The box was closed due to lack of payment. I am not the only one that the postal service risk lives to get mail. I have read reviews about the way they only want to deliver on one side of the streets forcing people to walk across busy, and during the winter, ice covered roads. The postal service gets 18 million dollars yearly from our taxes we pay, and for what? Putting people's lives in danger, the bad service. I have started a petition to the white house. If you see it please sign it. It is online.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

During my visit to Atlanta, GA on July 30, 2016 I had mailed an airmail envelope from Suwanee Road Post Office in Lawrenceville to New Delhi, India on Monday,

August 1, 2016. It is already more than one month and the mail has not reached the addressee yet. Is it ever going to reach?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

I live in Costa Rica & my 92 year old mother lives in Florida, alone in her house with no car. She also has no computer & uses snail mail. The USPO official site touted a "brand new" stamp with a puppy on it & I knew mom would like that & not have to pay someone to drive her to the post office. She received $20 worth of paperwork from the PO with order numbers & tracking numbers but never got the stamps. I tried to contact them online but (like United) they refuse to be contacted online, so mom called the number on the paperwork. After a few hundred dollars worth of "investigation", they told her, "We delivered them. If you didn't get them, it's your fault." So in the end, the post office spent hundreds of dollars to deny mom the $10 worth of stamps I paid for with my debit card. As mom's father & husband both spent their careers with the PO, we are both saddened to see what it has become.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

It's been 5 days and no update on when my certified mail (envelope) will get to my daughter at college. The tracking update says it's been in the destination city for 4 days and is on its way to the recipient's address. This has not changed for more than 4 days. USPS is not a reliable way of sending anything important.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

I ordered a pair of shoes from a company and the package was sent to my home address. When it reached my home they said no one was there and they scratch off my zip code number and put in another one. My package has been looping the system for 3 weeks now. I called the post office, went to the post office, e-mailed the post office and their answer to me is good luck trying to find it. I've been tracking the number and it's been going from NJ to NY back and forth. I've called the post office and they hang up on me. Great isn't it.

Resolution response: June 14, 2017

USPS Insurance paid for pkg.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2016

I printed a priority 2 day label and scheduled a pickup for Monday 7/22 by the mailman. My package Sat all day and was never picked up on Monday. I called customer service. Could not get through to rep from their automated service. It was not an option. Once I finally did get transferred it was a 40 minute hold, and I got nowhere. They said they couldn't tell why my pkg wasn't picked up and to leave it out the next day for pickup. The next day it wasn't picked up until 4:37 PM. Now knowing that you screwed up on Monday why wouldn't my priority pkg be picked up first thing on Tuesday?

After it reached the hub in Rochester that evening my pkg showed a delivery date of Wednesday, so I thought "great. They are making up for the problem with pickup." When it didn't arrive at the receiving end that Wednesday I checked tracking again and the expected delivery was updated to Thursday now. I thought well at least I know, and let the receiver know.

Come Thursday no package, no tracking update. Tried calling USPS and now a 30 minute hold, so I call the local office again. No help. Can't tell me where the pkg is or why it wasn't delivered and that they only guarantee express mail! On Friday they call back. Still don't know where my pkg is or why it wasn't delivered. Now it's Sunday and still no update on my pkg. I have since created an account with FedEx. I am tired of worrying about where my pkg is. Seriously what did I pay for? USPS couldn't pick up or deliver my pkg and I want my money back for shipping and insurance.

USPS Company Information