2. Moving
  3. Shipping Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.89/5
Based on 1,233 ratings submitted in the last year

USPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

I cannot begin to tell you how many times the USPS tries and sell their priority mail and tracking on the TV. I have for one, see this as a sales gimmick only, as time and time again, you can't track items or they appear to sit in one location for days and all of a sudden show up in the mail box showing delivered! They might as well not offer Tracking with their mail because most of the time it's useless as their employees are too lazy to scan packages and if they don't scan they most certainly are not going to enter it by hand in the machine. Tracking with the USPS for me has been pretty much useless! They've proven that for me anyway!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

USPS says my package was delivered. It was not! Neighbors do not have it, lived same place 20 years. With all the gov. red tape, runaround and total incompetence, it's no wonder why we have in the English vocabulary... Going postal. Do not use their services! Ben Franklin would be aghast at his system now.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2014

I occasionally order packages that are delivered via Fedex Smartpost, which means they are transferred to my local post office for delivery. Today marks the fifth lost package in the past six months. I always track my packages, and I always know when they arrive at my Benton Harbor, Michigan post office. I live in a neighboring city, on a normal residential road with a normal residential address, so finding my house is very easy. My packages are always being tossed in the wrong pile and sent to different cities AFTER being received at my local post office.

My package was supposed to be delivered to me 12/4/2014. Four days later, my package has been sent to the other side of the state. I have had packages sent off across the county after being received at my local post office. Everyone that I have spoken with at the Benton Harbor, Michigan post office each time this happens is beyond rude, and today, when speaking to an employee on the phone there, she was adamant that this was MY fault, that I put down the wrong address. I have my receipt right in front of me! I'm not stupid! I wish I never have to deal with these idiots!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

My postman normally picks up at noon every day. One day a few months ago he took off and someone else did the route and they completely missed my house. I have a home based business so not good when you have a bunch of orders that need to go. It is now going on 3pm and no one has come to pick up my packages so I called. I was very polite, I just said that my mailman normally comes around noon everyday and he hasn't showed up yet and since my house was missed awhile back I thought I'd better call. The hateful response I received was "uh, yeah, it's called Christmas!" I said, "Well you don't have to be so rude about it." His reply, "well, I can't believe you are calling up here when he's only 3 hours late." Seriously? "I have a business to run therefore you can kiss my **," and I hung up. Oh how I wish I'd gotten that ** name. The Spring Hill location is very rude.

I'm actually quite surprised that they even answered their phone. Last summer I went in to inquire about what would be the most cost effective ways for me to mail items for my business and was told by a woman who worked there that I needed to read the website. The office in Columbia, TN is the complete opposite. Columbia has a very great, friendly and helpful staff but EVERYONE I have encountered in Spring Hill are mean and hateful. I am so upset by the lack of their professionalism that I'm on Google leaving a review and everywhere else I can think of. If you can avoid this post office do it. Go to Columbia where they know what customer service is.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

Carrier not deliver package that are able to fix in mail box and won't bring package when I'm outside waiting on said package. Putting mail in wrong boxes. Why am I writing this complaint when you won't do anything about it pisses off.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

On November 21 I filled out and paid to have mail forwarded to new address. I've yet to receive any of my mail still. It's been 3 wks. All I've gotten in mail is the new moving coupons the post office has sent me. I have checks and some other important things I'm expecting and nobody knows where mails at. They really shouldn't charge for such horrible service.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2014

I logged into this website after googling change of address USPS and was directed to it. I consider myself pretty net savvy and was under the distinct impression that it was at least affiliated with the post office. I filled out all required info and submitted it. A few days later I check my bank statement and the crooks had charged me $39.99 for it! Infuriated, I sent an email demanding a refund and it got bounced back to me twice as undeliverable. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THIS SERVICE! At the real USPS website the charge is only $1. I never received the second confirmation email stating an order number or that the changes had taken effect.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2014

I use the USPS services very often on South Beach 1300 Washington Avenue 33139. Walking in there is like worse than walking in to a Funeral house, you can't ask questions. It's as if you are in Military, you can't make mistakes. Nasty, very nasty rude employees yell at you as if you are an animal.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

A month ago I had a package from Pennsylvania. Took the scenic route through Kansas City to the St Louis area. Needless to say that added another 3 days in transit due to confusion by the metal giants. Today I was expecting a 2 day priority mail package shipped from Temple TX on Monday to arrive NLT today Friday. It's not here yet and the USPS map shows 2-day service to the STL area. How about trying 5 days if it comes tomorrow? I paid extra for the priority mail but USPS says that 5 days is acceptable for 2-day priority mail. So there will be no refund. I could go back further with other issues but now will write my soon-to-be Congressman, a newly elected Republican, when he comes to office recommending privatization of the USPS.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

I ordered an expensive item from Germany. It was delivered to the US by DHL, at which point it was assigned a domestic tracking number so I could track the shipment. It was to be delivered to my workplace in Cambridge, MA. If you follow the domestic tracking you can see it go from New York, straight through Boston, and on to the town of Morrill, Maine, population 884. And there, on November 24, the trail ends. I have called USPS tracking. I have called post offices in Cambridge Mass and Morrill, Maine - the package was sent on from Morrill, Maine and is still listed as "in transit" on the USPS website with a predicted delivery date of November 24, 2014.

No one has any information. I've been told that at this point, the sender has to initiate an investigation. One thing I wonder is why, if the package has been scanned at a number of locations, there is no information in the system about the exact address the thing was bound for. I am flummoxed, disappointed in the extreme and fairly livid.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

I mailed a package on December 1st, 2014 via priority mail and insured it. There is no tracking info since it left North Platte, Nebraska on December 1st. I called 800 number on my receipt and only got automated service. I finally kept pushing number 5 and then kept pushing zero until recording said, "Your call may be recorded for quality assurance." I finally got a live person after waiting over 20 minutes. The lady was helpful and opened up a case to see if they can find my package and said I sure hear back within one business day. That will be Monday December 8th and we will see if I get a call with info on where my package is. I will never send packages or anything important through United States Post Office. Also my daughter sent me a birthday card from California to Nebraska and I never received it and it has been over 12 days since she sent it. The gov’t needs to check into USPS and investigate what is going on.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

More than a dozen times in the last year I have gotten someone else's mail whether it be my direct neighbor or the same house number located on another street. Last week my neighbor brought over one of my letters with personal financial information in it. Yesterday there was a box shoved so tightly in the mailbox I had get someone to help me get it out. They were too lazy to get out of the vehicle.

At least 4 or 5 times I have had to call about a package that was electronically marked as delivered but never arrived. Every time the package was delivered by UPS to the USPS who was to then deliver it to me. Instead what happens is that the USPS marks it delivered electronically and I get nothing. It may show up the next day or sometimes I have to call. The last time I called the local post office the manager told it was there and I could come get it. I told her I was sick and couldn't leave which is why I was having it delivered! I have entered multiple complaints and none of them have resolved the issue. They simply don't care.

Today I got an email from UPS stated a package had been delivered. I checked and sure enough there was a package. The problem is that it wasn't mine. I called UPS who said it was the problem of the local post office. So I looked up the number of the local post office on the official website and the number as usual was terminally busy. So I called the 800 number. After about 10 minutes of waiting I got a nice lady that asked me if I tried calling the local number! I told her about the numerous incidents and she said she would take it down and send it over to the local post office but that I should call post office consumer affairs.

I called consumer affairs and waited on the phone for 34 minutes before I got a human being. Let me tell you something, consumer affairs people, a 34 minute wait time is not good customer service. On top of all of that the lady told me that even though the package was marked delivered and I have cameras and someone else’s package to prove I never got mine she couldn't open a complaint until my original complaint had been in for 24 hours! Even though I routinely get wrong mail they wouldn't open a complaint. I see they don't care either. She told me to call the local post master and gave me some different numbers. I said if the manager didn't care then why would the post master care? Her only response was that they tend to care more.

I suppose that caring more than zero would be a little but not enough to change anything. How do I get the post office to care enough to stop giving me other people's mail and not mark anything delivered until it is actually delivered?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

For the third time in 6 months USPS lost another package. While it is gone forever I am here writing this review to save yourself a lot of trouble. When USPS loses a package it's GONE. They have no customer service (I've been on hold for 3 hours until they said they were closed). E-mails are also never replied from. On top of all of this is the broken tracker which updates 2 weeks after 1 package I ordered came. I hate the USPS and I hope they go out of business.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

They damaged my shipment. I had insurance and the bureaucracy to get my claim processed is insane. Insurance is total BS!! Just another inept government agency. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

The Priority Mail Express 1 Day guarantee is a scam and USPS customer service is a bad joke. I delivered a Priority Mail Express 1 Day package to the Akers Mill post office on 11/18/14 at 2pm (after waiting in line for 25 minutes). The person at the counter did not scan my package or give me a receipt (a mistake I will not make if I ever use USPS again). My Click-N-Ship receipt states that the scheduled delivery date was 11/19/14. The package was delivered on 11/20/14. The website states and a customer service rep told me that refunds must be requested at a post office, and the employees at the post office tell me I have to request the refund online. I have spent too much time on this. The Priority Mail Express 1 Day guarantee is not worth the paper it is printed on.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Sent a 26"x18"x16" parcel to an eBay buyer on Nov 21. It made it to Dallas and departed Dallas on Nov 26. As of today the item has not arrived. The parcel was supposed to be delivered on Nov 28th to Tulsa. It was packed very well. Not insured because trying to get $50 from the USPS is not worth my time. In a couple of days I am going to refund the eBay buyer his $50. He has been very understanding and knows it is not my fault. The local post office has one employee and she said there is nothing she can do unless it scans again. She is being lazy. The person that had her job last year would get on the phone and really go to bat for me in these situations. If anybody has any items that have to get to a person or business please use any other parcel delivery than what the USPS offers. It will get there with much better tracking and if there is a problem it can be much easier to resolve.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

This is a complaint about both my local USPS office and USPS’s corporate customer service office. My local mailman claimed that he delivered a package to my locked mailbox more than a month ago. The package, which contained an expensive pair of sunglasses, was never delivered. I am the only one who has a key to my locked mailbox. Thus, there are only two possible scenarios: One, the mailman did not deliver the package to my mailbox, but stole it. Two, he delivered it to the wrong mailbox, and that recipient stole it. Either way, the fault is USPS’s.

I called my local Oak Hill, VA USPS office no less than five times. Each time I called, the phone was answered by a barely intelligible, decidedly unhelpful man who told me each and every time that the person (“Don **”) with whom I needed to speak was not there and would be back the next day. Every day, the same story, the same lie. I was also asked condescending questions such as “Did you look carefully inside your mailbox?” and “Are you sure it’s not in your mailbox?” I was told by this man to instruct the seller to ship another pair of sunglasses. News flash: Sellers do not re-ship $300 sunglasses just because USPS’ incompetent employees lose packages.

Recognizing that the local post office was a waste of time and a complete loss, I contacted USPS’s customer service office. I spoke to two different “customer care” agents, none of whom were helpful. One informed me that USPS would not refund me for the loss (likely theft) of the package and told me that the only action I could take was filing an online complaint against the mailman. Not entirely to my surprise, I discovered that the website would not allow me to file a complaint because my case had already been “resolved.”

Finally, I was referred to a Consumer Affairs representative named Terry, who called back after a week of voicemails from me. She conceded that the most likely explanation for the lost package was theft by the mailman, as well as the difficulty of communicating with my local USPS office, as they had dismissed her inquiries as well. She assured me that she would further investigate, but after more repeated voicemails, did not return my call. Once again, no resolution. All this back-and-forth with USPS for a month, and still no resolution. It has become exceedingly apparent to me that USPS takes no responsibility for the actions of their employees, and certainly no accountability for hiring unfit, dishonest (and thieving?) individuals to support their organization.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

I went to the post office today (Washington Street) Buffalo NY 14202 to find and buy a box to ship an Xmas wreath. The moment I walk into the door, it was all down hill. First, I wanted customer service from someone that was behind the counter but wasn't working. I explain my need for a box. I don't know, they’re all over there. So upon looking at the size of a particular box, I fail to place it correctly back. The long-hair postal employee says, “Hey put that back, the way you found it.” I turn and said, “What? I don't hear well, what did you say?” “How am I suppose to know you can't hear? I said maybe you should leave and come back and start your morning over.” USPS wants to charge me $32.00 to ship a box. You don't have to be so rude!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

I have complained to the United States Postal Service about their website. They even insinuate that it is everyone's problem except their own. Here's what's happening. I try and track my shipments from various vendors. Every time I type my name in the tracking info requested box I get the error message "Please Type In Your name." Initially I thought it was because I used the automatic fill in option. But the message appears either way. My question for the USPS is why do you have a system that malfunctions? But asking this of an agency that went out and purchased an item that is the object of their own demise doesn't make sense either!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

My package is not here you ass. Ok I say monday 4pm noon - it did not came. You are the sick at your job. Where is my package?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

My husband is a Union Laborer and mailed out his dues on the 31st of November. They are to be postmarked by the 1st. After finding out they never arrived, he spoke to the postman. Amazingly they then showed up 3 days later, postmarked the 3rd! As a result of that he had to pay a $193 reinstatement fee. So he once again mailed it from our box in New Providence, PA. Now it's 3 weeks later and they still haven't received it! They are obviously totally incompetent or the postman just threw it away! Now he can't work and our kids get NO Christmas. Thanks a lot!!! Never again. These people should be FIRED!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

The week of 9-8-14 many pieces of mail were stolen from our mail we believe at the postal service. A complaint was filed about two weeks later when our customers started calling for items we had mailed - we have incoming and out going checks missing from the mail for that week. We have spent hours trying to locate, gone to the Post Office they have searched high and low - we initially thought a bag of mail was laying unopened with the discarded bags - nope not the problem. We were lead to believe the postal inspectors are working on this matter - if they are we have a problem since we are now in December.

Today, I Was notified that we are missing auto titles that were mailed to us on the 10th of September (this week of missing mail) from two financial institutions. We have no idea how long we will be searching for this stuff nor do we have any idea what is missing until we have a customer call - year end statements are due so we may have another boatload of calls.

Something is wrong in this post office - we have gone there many times requesting help - we do an a person's email but that is just lip service since they have no idea who or if anyone is even working on this matter. We did file a complaint for an envelope that we mail out to a customer that was found back in our box. It was never delivered. If we handled our customers business the way the USPS is doing we would be FIRED.......do they receive Federal money?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I placed an order from one of the eCommerce sites, waited for the product to be delivered and when the product came into the possession of USPS office, the product wasn't delivered to me. On complaining about it, the office opens and shuts the case without even informing me. They took my details and never called me back. They gave me local post office number, I called them and after 4 days of complaining still they are not able to figure out who was responsible for delivering the package. The person ("John") was very rude and told me packages get stolen often. When I requested to respond me back he said it will take couple more days to figure out who delivered it?? I mean if the package can be tracked from China to USA, can't they figure out who delivered it and on the site they say the package is already delivered. Most pathetic and worst customer service ever experienced.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

In the past three months, my company has had nearly 3,000 pieces of mail gone missing in the mail stream. It is very frustrating. We've complained to a Postal Inspector, but it never goes any further, and they don't seem to care to research it any further. I have a hunch it is happening at the Postal Sorting & Distribution Hub in Coppell, TX.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I called them to track a misplaced package. The first person was RUDE, not helpful at all, would not give me her complete name or employee I.D. Had to speak with a Manager. She was worse. I hope the call was being monitored because those 2 either need retraining or replacement. They made it sound like I wanted them to come look for the package even though I had done all that I could. I needed USPS to look for the package. If there was an alternative. Customers just need to boycott USPS. Terrible phone service for package missing for almost a month.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2014

I recently shipped my product (shoes) to Germany. However, USPS sent the shipment to Canada. I had to refund the money to my customer, yet I had not received the package I had shipped from USPS.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

USPS lost 5 packages, totaling in value over $4,000!!! When the first two were lost the local post office handled the insurance and I was compensated. For the second two packages, I filled out all the paperwork, but received no compensation. So I lost EUR 311 + EUR 92... over $500. The 5th lost package the USPS claims to have delivered... but it was not delivered to me, there was no signature. There are only two possibilities. The postman lost or stole it. This last package was worth $3000, tracking number **. USPS hires mostly wonderful honest capable people. Some however disgrace the system. It is not only unprofessional, but criminal when a) so many packages are lost, b) customers are not compensated for their losses. USPS should handle compensation for lost packages, as it once did, on a local level. Heaven knows how to stop USPS from losing packages. I have an attorney, if it comes to that.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

I call usps on a package I ship 2 weeks ago. Buyer should have received it nov 21, never got it. I open a case. Now my ebay selling account is on the line. Ty usps. Never had a problem. The holidays come now, there’s a issue.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

In February 2014, I sold a Nikon DSLR valued at approximately $590 on eBay to a bidder in Russia. The shipping costs was about $60. eBay will not permit USPS shipping insurance on packages to Russia, but they encourage you to ship Globally. After approximately 5 weeks and stalled tracking, the buyer filed a case with eBay about not receiving merchandise. The last tracking scan was in Russia but several weeks had passed. eBay paid the claim to the buyer then automatically took the money from my account.

I contacted USPS and initiated a trace in early April. Several weeks later, I received an empty package that was retaped along with some documentation that was printed mostly in Russian. From what I could tell, the package was returned to the US since the weight in Russia did not match the weight on the manifest (which ironically eBay prints the exact description and value of the contents making it a prime target for theft). I took the package intact to the local post office. To this day, not one postal inspector has asked to see the package as it still sits locally in the supervisor's office.

I was finally able to file a claim in June and about 2 months later, received $76. I field an appeal for the remaining funds ($574) and received another $45 which the letter explained was the max payout based on weight. I sent an appeal to the appropriate department at USPS but that was denied for any additional payment. I also filed a complaint with the PA Bureau of Consumer Protection. I received a reply from a Richard ** who informed me that the case was turned over to the USPS Inspectors Office for investigation. Yeah, like they are actually going to investigate and indict themselves for employee theft!

So as of today I am still out the remaining funds but learned not to ship Internationally anymore. It is a shame that USPS will not admit that the contents were removed by their own employees as it is well known that the employees at the ISC have been accused and proven many times to remove package contents.

To me, the USPS entered into a contract with me to provide safe delivery of my package in acceptance of the shipping fees received. They broke the contract by not having proper safeguards in place to prevent employee theft. Further, USPS insurance covers "loss or damage". Nowhere does it state that one must self-insure for employee theft.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

I honestly wish no one would use this service. Customers pay for 2-3 delivery and the service is NOT provided. Updates are not made when tracking a package and in my case, it has stated the expected delivery date would be in 2-3 days, only for me to actually receive the package 4 days after what the tracking site stated. Customers only ask for honesty and if it will take 7-10 days, then that is what should be told to us. We PAY for a faster service and do not get it. Customer service is rude, not helpful, and act as if they do not care that they are not meeting the expectation that THEY say they will provide. I am actually going to apply for a job in my city to see if they are at least willing to hire someone who understands the concerns and basics of customer service. The foundation that exist needs to be torn down and rebuilt, and unfortunately, since most of us NEED them, they have the average customer in a headlock, forcing us to deal with HORRIBLE service.

USPS Company Information