Get Started

4.7/5 (1028 ratings)

About National Debt Relief

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the nation. Our goal is to help clients re-establish financial stability and peace of mind in the least amount of time possible. We will work hard to provide experience and proven results through education and individual customer care.

Pros

• No-charge initial consultation
    • Free debt relief quote
    • Numerous accreditations

Cons

• Will need to pay percentage of debt settled

Bottom Line

National Debt Relief works best for those with a minimum debt of $10,000. Although you will need to pay a portion based on the debt settled, National Debt Relief can help consumers escape the cycle of debt and become financially independent.

Top National Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They were very helpful. I feel better about my future. Can't wait to be debt free. I have a program I can keep. Without this help I could not get out of debt and I was scared. The...

Verified

All members of the staff that assisted me with getting the process started and finalizing enrollment were very helpful and knowledgeable … Thank you National Debt Relief for helpi...

What is National Debt Relief?

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the United States. National Debt Relief provides consumers freedom from financial debt by offering debt reduction services, as well as financial consultations. They have successfully negotiated settlements for thousands of collection amounts. Most cases settle within 24-48 months.

National Debt Relief is a BBB Accredited Business. They also have IAPDA (International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators) accreditations for all of their Debt Arbitrators and an AFCC (American Fair Credit Council) membership. Located in New York, National Debt Relief offers nationwide service.

How does National Debt Relief work?

To qualify for National Debt relief, you must:

• Be able to make a monthly payment into a settlement fund
    • Owe more than $10,000
    • Be several months behind on payments
    • Going through a financial crisis with no quick end in sight (such as recent job loss, reduction in hours, separation or divorce, death of a spouse, unexpected hospital or medical bills, student loans, IRS takes, etc.)

National Debt Relief works with your creditors to try and agree on a settlement for your debts with lower payments. Although successful with numerous debt settlements, each situation of debt is unique. Therefore, National Debt Relief is unable to guarantee identical or similar results for every client. Also, they cannot guarantee creditors will agree to a settlement.

You can call National Debt Relief today for a free consultation or click “Visit Website.”

National Debt Relief services

National Debt Relief provides a variety of debt and financial services, including:

• Debt settlement assistance
      This remains one of the best options to get rid of debt. While debt settlement assistance works for some people, getting a debt settlement workable and approved can be a complicated process. Having negotiated settlements for thousands of creditors and collection accounts, National Debt Relief has established themselves as experts in the field.
    • Free budget planner worksheets
      To get on top of debt, you must have a handle on all of your income and expenses. National Debt Relief makes this step a lot easier by providing a free budget planner worksheet. You can easily download this worksheet and plug in all avenues of income as well as areas of expense.
    • Free debt calculator
      One of the best ways to overcome debt is to develop a plan of action. Utilizing a debt calculator will help you do exactly that.
    • Consultations (including a free initial consultation)
      The experts at National Debt Relief understand finances, debt and accounting. Get counseling and guidance, help with your budget plan, and settle your debts with personal, invested National Debt Relief consultations.

National Debt Relief FAQ

How much does National Debt Relief cost?
    You can expect National Debt Relief to charge 15-25% of your enrolled debt. National Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees or cost to sign up. Additionally, initial debt consultations are free. Any National Debt Relief fees that will be billed is entirely performance-based. You don’t pay until you get your debt settled, and payments depend on how substantial a settlement you are awarded.
    How does National Debt Relief affect your credit?
    If you decide to enter a debt settlement program, your credit score may be adversely affected. However, it is often a better option than filing for bankruptcy.

Does National Debt Relief work?

We recommend National Debt Relief given their impressive collection of proven success and many top accreditations. They also have a nearly 5-star rating on ConsumerAffairs with over 36,000 reviews recorded. National Debt Relief also offers a good supply of free services and valuable information on their website to help clients understand debt settlement. Enrolling in a National Debt Relief program offers consumers a chance at escaping debt, and for that reason we recommend them.

National Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2016

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Debt Relief?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2021

The enrollment with National Debt Relief was pleasant. It was a Saturday afternoon call and I was not expecting the friendliness of the rep. He was kind and reassuring, and answered my questions as I understood things were going to proceed and he let me know what to expect. So, I was very comforted by that. NDR took care of the higher credit ones. If I had a question, I could bring it up on the portal and it would be resolved. If there was something that I wasn't happy with, I could follow up and say that this wasn't as I understood it, and it was explained to me very carefully how it worked.

With my Capital One, when I went and looked at the Experian report, it had a derogatory status on it and it was closed. I was a little bit sad with that. I know it's not a bankruptcy and that's what was explained to me at the beginning. Bankruptcy stays on for a long time and that's much worse. Anything that we resolve with NDR will fall away after some time and will not be reflected permanently, which is good for me.

The representatives are very professional and as competent as they can be with the situation at hand. If it's beyond their level, they refer me up to supervisors or a higher level. They make the time for it. And when I explained that I don't know what I'm doing because I'm not from this country or that I may have questions that I don't know, they're always very careful to slow down and to explain the things that other citizens may take for granted. So, in all, I feel safe and I feel comforted with making this choice, which is difficult.

With credit and everything, especially when you're new to the country, everybody's having all their credit cards and you're inundated with it and you have to build credits. So, to a certain extent, you have to put your neck out there. You don't plan on getting sick and nobody plans on having five surgeries in five years. But it happens. Unfortunately, not being a citizen, I had no help. I couldn't apply for disability like most people could in my situation. So, I had nothing. My husband, as a veteran, did what he could. But he had his own stress. So, NDR helped us.

NDR also taught me what credit is, how to be cautious with it and what it means for your life if you're not aware of the situations you're stepping into. They said that they could help me with this. It was not going to be pleasant, but they were going to make it as pleasant as they could. At the same time, they gave me a lot of education on how to not fall into this, how to keep up with the program, not overextend ourselves and not fall into the same trap again. If you're going to go through an unpleasant experience and have a helping hand and guiding hand, you want to make sure you don't end up there again.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I wanted to go with the best when it came to my credit, and National Debt Relief happened to have five stars. I called to see my eligibility and what my options were. I was given my options, and then the process was quick and efficient. It was like dead weight lifted off my shoulders. I even recommended a few people to enroll. I’m very happy. The program is simple to understand and you don't really have to do much work besides making your payments, and they handle everything on your behalf. I've seen my credit improving. I'm able to afford my bi-weekly payments. I love it.

They told me what my exact amount was. They told me what I would end up paying if I continued paying the minimum on top of the late payments or interest fees I was currently accumulating. Then they gave me the settlement amount that I could have, and I felt comfortable with the amount. I was happy with the amount that they were able to negotiate for me, and they asked me if I would be able to maintain the bi-weekly payment that I currently have. It was doable for me. Prior to enrolling, I was so stressed out with my debt. I didn't know what to do. So, knowing that somebody else was going to handle it when it came to lawyer fees and handle those harassing phone calls, it was such a relief.

Working with National Debt Relief has taken one stress off my plate. I don't have to worry about it as long as I make my payments. During COVID also when I couldn't make my payments, I was just one phone call and they were able to put everything on pause. They called me when I was trying to resume, asking me if I was okay and if I was able to make those payments. If not, they gave me an option to postpone it again, or I can resume my payments with no penalties then. They give you options. They work with you. They don't harass you, and they handle all the difficult stuff.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I was with another company and I wasn't happy with their service, so I started searching for another one. National Debt Relief came up and when I called and talked to them, I was so impressed by their customer service that I had to try this company. The rep was absolutely the best. In the past, when I was able to work, I gave superior excellence as far as customer service was concerned. The gentleman that helped me was another me. He did everything and anything possible to answer all my questions and make sure that I felt comfortable. In talking to him, I felt like I knew him for the longest time and he added a little bit of his own personal statement into our initial conversation, which helped make me feel more comfortable with him and that he cared.

With the exception of COVID going on, using NDR made me a lot more relaxed and I'm not as stressed out as I was. I am glad that I'm able to pay the debtors something at least. I’m about halfway through at this point. There are many times NDR should be getting more than what they're getting for the type of service and the confidence that they instill in you. They are doing, they have been doing and they're continuing to do everything that they said they were going to do in the beginning.

I lost my vision recently. When I started losing my sight, I called them to tell them that I'm going blind and asked how I was going to continue on. They said not to worry and that they’ve got me taken care of. They told me how bad they felt that I lost my vision and that they were going to do everything possible to take care of me in a different format than they would take care of a regular sighted person. They still do everything that they did as if I were sighted, except they call me. I've given them another number that they could send a text to if I had to call them back right away, if it was an emergency. But for the most part, they call and tell me what they need to do or what needs to be done, or give an update or suggestion. So I still feel very confident in their abilities. It is wonderful and I don't know many companies today that are willing to do that. I tell them every time that they have gone over above and beyond the call of duty.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I have four things for National Debt Relief to collect on and they've done two. The way I get it, if I owe eight grand on a credit card, NDR contacts the credit card company and asks if they are willing to settle for four. The credit card company says they are willing to settle for five. So, NDR says okay and sends me a thing asking if I am willing to pay the five. And I say yes or no. The only problem I've had is, on the last payment schedule, they told me that the creditor wanted $10 a month for eight months. I find that hard to believe. I said I would give them $80 and let's shorten it by eight months. It was odd and I said that I didn’t want to accept those terms. They said the creditor could back out. I said that the creditor would be absolutely stupid to back out. It was funny how they called me back five minutes later and said that the creditor agreed to take 20 bucks a month instead of 10 bucks.

NDR spreads it all out rather than stuff it together. They're collecting a fee every month and the company that does something for them collects a fee every month. So, I'm paying as much in fees as I am in paying off the debt. Other than that, I've been okay. I'm paying my bills off and in another year or two, hopefully, I'll say that everybody's done.

I had a big debt. It was 25 grand and that's a lot of money to me. I owned my business and in 2015, I was making money hand over fist. Everything was great and I put things on the card. I would just pay those. Then all of a sudden, a couple of years later, I was getting eaten up with interest and business had slowed way down, and I got myself in a hole. There is no debtors prison, so I could have said screw them all and ruin my credit completely. But I've ruined my credit by going through them anyways because it still shows as four credit things in default, even though I'm doing my best to pay them off. I'm a business owner so I applied with the SBA for a loan, hoping that I could pay a couple of those credit cards off with a high interest on them. The SBA turned me down because I have bad credit.

I have bad credit because I chose to pay off the four accounts. By being responsible and taking blame for what I've done, and that is build up a bunch of credit or have a bunch of credit that money is due, I'm being chastised because I'm being a good guy. It almost makes me feel like throwing all the bills in the trash and just let them send me bills and harass me on the phone. That was one thing that National Debt Relief did. I got phone calls and I gave the 800 number and told them to call NDR or I write on the credit card statement the address and tell them to send the bill there. But the bills and the phone calls have stopped so that's nice. In hindsight, if I had I to do it again, I would have just dealt with the credit card companies myself. But NDR has helped.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

I've known people that used National Debt Relief before and they were able to get the debts knocked down pretty good and get some decent settlement deals. I went with them and the service was good. They tried to put me on a lower payment plan but it creates a lot of issues with the debt collectors too because they get settlement agreements that have to be honored within a certain amount of time. I couldn't promise them any set amount during this because when we got hit with this pandemic directly, I lost my job immediately after that. Unfortunately, I am unable to keep the service at this time. I was going over the debt and income ratio thing with the payments that was why we backed off on it for a while to see what's gonna happen with all this craziness.

National Debt Relief knocked off a big chunk of what I had. We went from 24,000 deep and they got it to settle down about 18,500 which wasn't bad. When we left them, we were down to 14,000 or 15,000. They were knocking it down pretty quick. The only extra step I took when I was using them was I also hired a credit lawyer to work in conjunction with them which got a lot of debts knocked right off completely, things that we didn't even have to settle up with. With the two of them working together, it improved us quite a bit. We definitely want to jump back in and get it going again. We’re waiting until we get more stability here before we make that decision and commit to it.

If the creditors don't do the paperwork properly the credit lawyers can challenge that. If their paperwork is not in line with what it should be in conjunction with the debt, they have to sign the debt right off. It disappears. National Debt Relief could knock an even larger chunk off of people's debts. How the debts work, they're hitting a lot of people with 28%, 29% interest which is ludicrous. It’s illegal everywhere else in the world except for the United States. If you're persistent with challenging that debt and that interest rate, you can get it knocked down considerably. I'd even done it myself. We've been in a situation before where we didn't even use a credit consolidation company. It’s just that we had incurred so much debt in such a short amount of time that we needed that extra assistance to get it taken care of.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

So far I am happy with how everything has been set up. My agent was very helpful. Being a new customer I feel good about everything and look forward to getting back to a better life and retirement playing more golf.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I am so grateful, thankful and appreciative for National Debt Relief. They were so helpful, knowledgeable and very professional. Right now knowing there is an end in sight my mind is at ease. I will recommend them to anyone who needs help.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Fast friendly knowledgeable company to work with card card issues. They listen to you, advise and work a payment plan that will work for you. Great company to go with when credit card debt is overwhelming and you need help getting out of credit card debt.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

I signed up for a 4 plus year plan. And as something good happened to me shortly after the game began, I asked for a speed up if possible. I do understand that people are making money if it goes on and on. But when asking for a quicker end to this procedure, I feel a bit like my money is just collecting interest, like the bills that are being settled with interest on top of the original agreed amount. So the discount is not quite as much as I expected. I loos that way, but hey- these are hard times. I'll be glad when it is all over.

National Debt Relief response
      Hello James,

It sounds like your experience was less than ideal. We always strive for excellent client experiences – is there any way we can make this right? We will be reaching out shortly, but you can also call us directly at 888-660-7427.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

John the rep I spoke with was knowledgeable, thorough and answered all my questions. He was patient with my apprehension and reassured me during the process. He also offered valuable counseling for me moving forward. I suffered a traumatic medical diagnosis. That was a major factor in my financial hardship and John expressed understanding and sympathy! I can’t say enough to express my gratitude for starting out the new year on the right foot!!!!

National Debt Relief Company Information