2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling

4.9/5 (90 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About GreenPath Financial Wellness

GreenPath Financial Wellness is a nonprofit that offers debt relief services, including counseling and debt management plans. It provides customized financial wellness support and nonprofit guidance at a speed that works for you.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about GreenPath Financial Wellness?

No response received
Original review: July 10, 2013

I signed up with GreenPath in May 2013. What happened is they lost my down payment. They want me to continue paying my monthly fee until further notice. I do not think so. Even my fiance is having problems with them.

GreenPath Financial Wellness response

Hi Mary, We are sorry that circumstances prevented you from being able to start a Debt Management Program with us. Greenpath did not receive the money order that was mailed. However, we did help contact Western Union to determine that it had not been cashed. After this you decided not to pursue a Debt Management Program with us. It is true that we did receive a signed agreement to start a Debt Management Program, however no fees were ever charged because we never received funds to start the program. Again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

No response received
Original review: March 2, 2012

Report this company to the Better Business Bureau. They currently have only one complaint, and that was today from me. I told the counselor this was what I was going to do as soon as I got off the phone. No sooner had I filed the complaint, then I received a call from GreenPath offering to refund the money. Right, as soon as cooler heads prevailed -- why not pay the small amount of money to avoid the beginning of complaints at the BBB.

After withdrawing money from my checking account, I received a call from GreenPath telling me they did not have my credit card numbers, and would return the current month's fee back to my bank account. I later asked for repayment of the previous months -- which they paid; however when I called them to request the return of service fees, they refused. I have since found out that companies do not and cannot pay anything as a third-payer without these credit card numbers -- which is what they must have during the counseling session.

GreenPath Financial Wellness response

Hi Vincent, I am sorry that things did not work out to your satisfaction when you started your Debt Management Program(DMP) with us. It is true that we must have complete account numbers to make payments to any debts on a DMP. This ensures the money we send to creditors on a client's behalf does in fact get credited to the correct debt. In this case we were never able to obtain your complete account numbers and ultimately refunded all of your funds and all fees charged prior to closing your program on your request. Again, we apologize for any misunderstandings that may have occurred.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 20, 2012

They offered me 3 months trial for modification. I paid on time, and now I received a check with my money back. They did not respect the agreement. I have proof of the letter they sent me for the trial. I have the cashier's check when I paid the monthly payment.

GreenPath Financial Wellness response

Hello Yessenia, I'm sorry to hear about your loan modification. Please understand that GreenPath can only provide you with the housing counseling connected with the loan modification. Your mortgage servicer is the one that makes the decisions regarding your loan modification and those payments. We hope everything works out for you. We're here for you if you have any questions about the loan modification process or what other options you may have.

No response received
Original review: Feb. 10, 2012

I was referred to Green Path from the Get Hope Hardest Hit Indiana organization and after jumping through all their hoops, I never heard a word from them and never received any help including encouragement. These people are a complete farce and will only get your hopes up. When I contacted the Get Hope organization, they told me Green Path was not part of their program. Do not waste you time or expectations with these people, as you will only get deeper in trouble. Luckily, I belonged to a credit union who were willing to help me keep my house. Do not use these people!

GreenPath Financial Wellness response
Hi Ted, I am sorry to hear that you experience did not meet your expectations. We do partner with 995-Hope to provide housing counseling to people. 995-Hope refers clients to us to complete a full evaluation of their situation and to discuss possible options. As a counseling organization we do not have any control over what options a mortgage servicer will offer or approve for a client. Our role is to provide education and counseling regarding options and programs that may be available for a client.

Although you may not have received our message, we did attempt to reach out to you again after the original session you completed with us. Again, we apologize for any misunderstand or miscommunication that may have occurred.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 7, 2011

Forms need to be more customer specific, and there shouldn't be a time required per module. When completed, it should allow you to move to the next module. I spent 10 minutes on every module, sitting around, waiting for the next part of their required test.

GreenPath Financial Wellness response

Hi Charlene, sorry to hear you were frustrated with our bankruptcy pre-discharge education course. The Executive Office of the U.S. Trustee, in Washington, DC, sets the time requirements for all approved bankruptcy courses that must be adhered to by all approved providers. We hope all went well with your bankruptcy case.

No response received
Original review: Oct. 28, 2010

We had recently come to an agreement with Golden Dude (CCCS) who merged with Green Path Debt Solutions recently. Our experience with CCCS was kind of shaky at first but we were able to hammer out most of the kinks. We had to sign a contract not once but twice. About a month after starting with them, we were advised verbally that they were merging with another company whose name was never mentioned.

Our first month with them has currently not set my expectations very high. The acquiring company Green Path Debt Solutions will not accept any accountability regarding the contractual obligations we had agreed to with CCCS. My wife had called two weeks in advance to confirm that our payments would be going out as stated within our contractual agreement with CCCS. The representative had advised my wife that "yes" everything was slated as a "GO" for the payment due date. She even went as far as to state not to worry and that the new system with Green Path was better and faster than what CCCS had to offer.

Low and behold, two weeks after that conversation our payments had never been sent to the creditors. My wife got on the phone to Green Path and asked why our payments had not been submitted. They stated that they did not know why and that there was possibly an issue with their "faster" system. The call got escalated nonetheless.

The thing that upset us the most was that they attempted to put the onus back onto us and that our payment due date to them might be changed in order to get the payments to the creditors on time. We advised the representative that we should not have to make any more adjustments since we had already agreed to the dates that the payment(s) would need to get to them in order for the payments to post on time. My wife refused at this point and asked to speak with a manager and that we wanted to file a grievance. She had also made the request to the representative that we would want letters sent to the creditors that Green Path would be the reason our payments would post almost a week late. The representative stated that the manager would have to deal with this.

Well Green Path's manager was pretty prompt in returning our call and request for grievance. She called us the very next morning. Again, the company did not want to take any accountability for the situation and then again recommended to change the payment due day. My wife had asked the manager why the representative had advised that our payment was received and everything was a GO to remit to the creditors.

The manager's response to this was possibly lack of training on the new system. We asked why they would say that if they were not sure. The manager stated that she could not answer that. Again, this just goes to show how unaccountable this company is. I asked the manager about the contract we had signed. She said of course with the merger they were going to have unexpected system issues. I had made mention that we were never formally aware that the merger had taken place. She stated to us that a notice with expectations was sent out three weeks ago to all their newly acquired clients from CCCS. We never received this information.

Basically my wife and I have jumped through their hoops. We rang their bells and whistled their whistles for both companies. Green Path Debt solutions are expecting their newly acquired clients to comply with their guidelines that were never set forth with the newly acquired client to begin with let alone are not accepting any responsibility for the shortcomings of their botched merger. I wanted to post this to advise any possible future North Texas clients what you are getting yourself into. A very unprofessional experience with a company that is unwilling to accept any responsibility for the shortcomings of their botched merger.

GreenPath Financial Wellness response

Hi Peter, I am sorry to hear that your experience during the merger did not go satisfactorily. While we do work toward making the transition as smooth as possible, issues can arise as employees from the old agency are acclimated to the processes and computer systems at the new agency. Issues can also arise based on the status of accounts and information that is handed over from the previous agency. GreenPath does try to limit errors as much as possible, but from time to time a human error can occur. If this was the case and we did not take responsibility I apologize. I wanted to research your concerns further, but I was unable to locate your file in our system using your name, or with any of your other contact information. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to discuss this further.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 29, 2010

On 7/15, I contacted Chase bank regarding my credit card. I wanted to know why the minimum payment was so high. The balance is $4620 and payment was $231.00, which is 5%. They said that there was nothing they could do for me, but would link me to GreenPath. I talked to a rep, she emailed me forms and I filled them out. When I decided not to go with the company, I thought everything was back to normal. Today 7/28, I got my mail. 2 letters from Chase Bank stating that their decision after reviewing my accounts, that one CC I have had for 15+ years for credit line of $27,000 has been closed and a CC with credit line of $7000 has been reduced to $5800. I feel that if I never talked to GreenPath, this would never have happened. How could Chase receive this info if it was not for GreenPath?

GreenPath Financial Wellness response

Hello Linnea, please know that GreenPath will never share a client's information with their creditors without their permission. I guarantee that GreenPath did not share any information with Chase about you or the outcome of your counseling session. We don't know the specifics about Chase's actions in your situation, but most creditors were aggressively closing credit lines and reducing credit limits during the financial crisis. We hope your financial situation is a positive one today!

No response received
Original review: April 29, 2009

Called a credit card company to contest a rate increase to over 29%. Their rep. transferred my call directly to their "non-profit counseling agency, 'GreenPath'". A man got on the line with me and dove right in to all my personal finance info and for over 1 hr. led me to believe he was going to help me figure out how to handle the credit card debt debacle I originally called about. Long story shortened: He wound up describing to me how hopeless my situation was and how the bank involved won't even talk about negotiating and then asked if I would like to hear about bankruptcy! We were on the speakerphone when the "couselor" started talking about our parenting skills when my wife started screaming at the guy and I had to cut the conversation short.

GreenPath Financial Wellness response

Hi Ben, sorry to hear you didn't have a positive experience with us. We try to help every person that calls us. We can provide advice to everyone, but the reality is that sometimes we are unable to offer tangible solutions. We help callers explore all of their options, including bankruptcy, so they can make an informed decision about how to move forward. However, our advisors should never make you feel like your situation is hopeless. And you should never feel like you're being lectured. Please accept our apologies.

GreenPath Financial Wellness Company Information