4.4/5 (2383 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I was very pleased with how my case was handled. Anytime I called with a question, they responded quickly and accurately. I was able to settle my debts for less than quoted and at a faster rate. They were also quick to end my payments and return left over funds to me. I am glad I chose FDR to handle my debt settlement.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I can't believe this Christmas, I have no debts. I am only buying what I can pay for. The time flew fast with my Freedom Debt Relief although I thought at the beginning I wouldn't ever get there. I appreciate the professional handling of my personal business and the support of all the staff. I wish all of you a very happy and merry Christmas!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I had a good experience with Freedom Debt Relief. My only complaint would be all the fees associated with it and the fact my credit is still hurt by it. But I understand both of these "problems". I got myself into my mess, and it was nice to have someone help me get out of it without declaring bankruptcy and hurting my credit even more.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

It was very, very sad to wake up at 65 years of age and realize so many things about money: (1) credit cards are not your friend; (2) interest rates are now what used to be called usury and were illegal; and (3) we were in trouble after I lost my job. On the other hand, it was extremely wonderful to find Freedom Debt Relief to act as my partner to guide me in getting through the jungle of debt I had created. I learned so much and now am a better negotiator myself and have been debt-free (other than my car and my mortgage) for going on a year. I deal with cash, and I wait if I want something until I can pay for it. And compounding is great when it is working for you rather than for the credit card companies! God bless Freedom Debt Relief - I would recommend them to anyone who needs this kind of help.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I like the way they worked with me when I was offered a settlement from a credit card that I felt was a good offer. They lowered my monthly payment for 6 months so I could accept the better deal. I just paid off my last credit card. It feels good to be able to pay cash for items that I need.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

Hi, please don't take this as a knock on Freedom Debt Relief. But unless you have a really compelling reason to save your credit rating, I would urge you to declare bankruptcy. Freedom did everything they claimed and the people were really nice. But today, with another year and a half of paying a third of my pay every month, I wish I'd taken advantage of the laws on bankruptcy. I know it's my debt and I deserve to pay it. But when my tax dollars go to bail out the "Too Big to Fail" folks, that fact loses its strength. Anyway, that would be my advice, take it or leave it. God bless!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I thank Debt Relief for the help they gave me in solving my debt problems. I was in a bad situation, facing quadruple heart surgery and all this debt which was causing great stress. I am very happy to have all of this resolved, and thank all the people involved for their kindness and consideration.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

It's a double edged sword. On one hand, you are getting your debt paid off with lower payments each month and in less time, but on the other hand, your credit is going to crap. At first, you are making payments to Freedom but they are being saved up in a special account, while you pay their fees. Then more is being saved up so they can make an "offer" to pay off each credit card starting with the lowest first. In all this time, payments are not being made to the credit cards and you are being marked down as not making payments, so your good credit is gone. Even though when it's all said and done, you don't have any more credit card debt, you have horrible credit. And the payments lasted a whole year longer than what they told me it would. I would never tell anyone to get rid of their credit in this way. It's worse in the long run.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I got my self in debt with my credit card no matter how I try to pay the card off. I don't use it, but it still goes down. It got to me so much that I felt like sitting down and crying. Then I saw on TV about Freedom Debt help. After talking to them, I had a feeling that they could help me. It was hard and I’m not telling it was easy at first to have to make your self do without having that money you put aside to pay the debt off. But in the end, you learn how to handle your money a lot better and that was the best Christmas present that I got when Freedom Debt sent me an email saying I was all done with the program. I like to thank Freedom for helping me put my life back together. I feel a lot better and proud of myself getting know how to handle my money. Thank you again for your help. If you need the help with your money problem, go to Freedom Debt. They will help you.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing this experience with us Patrick. During the Holiday Season times can seem tough, especially when burdened with debt, that is why we try hard to help each client reach their goals. We are happy to hear that you are doing great!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I was $80,000 in debt, 3 kids and a wife. A school teacher with no hope, but I took a chance with Freedom Debt. If it wasn't for my friend helping me get into the program and taking a leap of faith, I wouldn't be here 3 years later and cleared out my debt. Thanks to you all. You helped me with creditors and did the dirty work I couldn't do. Special thanks to Robert ** from San Antonio that believed in your program and was my guardian angel. Thanks my friend.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

Freedom Debt Relief is a program to get out of debt. It makes you feel like the noose is loose and almost off your head. When I was halfway done, I felt that I had more room to breathe. Thanks to Freedom Debt Relief for helping me become debt free because now I'm in the process of buying a house. Thanks to the people who helped me to get debt free. Thank you again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

Very upset! We had to come to Freedom. I had cancer and we didn't have a choice in the matter. Freedom took payments every month from my checking account. They would put it towards the accounts they were trying to settle. Freedom missed one of our payments. Chase took money out of our account. They wanted us to go to court; all while I was very sick. Wrong thing to do. I would not trust them!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I was interviewed by a gentleman who asked me a few questions. I was embarrassed by the amount that I and my husband were in debt for with the charge cards, even though I did not let him know this. He made me feel at ease and told me that Freedom Debt Relief would be able to help us and proceeded to tell me how this could be accomplished. We weren't sure if this was true at first because the debtor kept calling us, making us feel we would be in a lot of trouble if we didn't make arrangement to pay them right then and there. But we followed the written instructions that Freedom provided us, when they did call and kept a log of who and when those calls where made. One by one the calls began to stop.

Freedom made it clear that when we felt overwhelmed, we were to call them. I believe I only called them one time. Freedom did what they said they would do and I set aside a certain amount each month (which was a lot less than the amounts I would have paid to each account I owed) and had it taken out automatically. When the debt was finally paid, Freedom sent us an email informing us that we were debt-free! I just broke down and started crying. To anyone reading this that believes there is no way out, I am here to tell you - yes, there is. Freedom will work with you and in return, all you have to do is follow their instructions and you will become debt-free.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

It was a good lesson that I learned from Freedom Debt Relief. A few years ago, I owed over $35,000 for credit cards. Every time, when I received the credit cards statement, I always pay on time and a little more than what the limited ask. I was so worried when I would finish the payment 5, 10 years or more until I heard from the radio for Debt Relief phone number. I called to find out if it's true. Fifteen months later, I paid off my credit card bills that I owed and learned so many lessons from Freedom Debt Relief. Now, I do not own any credit cards because I tried not to and just kept one for emergency use. I also try not to buy things that are not important. Also, I learned how to manage my expenses. Most important is giving them a call to ask questions. All the agents are willing to give you great advice. Thanks, Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

Freedom Financial helped me pay off all of my credit cards! It was painless and the time it took flew by. In the beginning, it seemed like it was going to take forever. It was not long before things started to happen and I was able to see my debt shrinking. The folks that work at Freedom Financial were helpful, knowledgeable, patient and did I say helpful? The amount of money that it took to pay off all of my debt was less than what we expected it to be, worst case scenario in the beginning. Someone worked with me initially to decide on how much money I could afford to set aside each month to build my payoff account, which was way less than all of my credit card bills combined, so I could afford to do this. I paid into my account each month. The money grew there (and paid them for the service) and very soon I was settling with my first credit card company. The day I settled the last card was very nearly the exact time they told me it would probably take to complete the program.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

My experience with Freedom Debt Relief was the best decision I ever made. From the first phone call, after considering bankruptcy, I took the advice of my personal adviser from Freedom Debt Relief and turned things over to them. It was a tough 3 years getting out of debt but so worth it. They made it affordable and you could see the results, not just paying minimum payments and never seeing your debt go down. If you are in over your head, do it, don't wait. Sign up now and start getting out of debt for good.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

They helped me set up a program that I could manage. It was hard at times but I stayed with it and became debt free and still am to this day. They helped me get my life back and now I am not trying to figure out which bills to pay as I have none. Cash and carry is a good plan!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I paid all credit cards in 3 and half years. I started with over $50,000 and I saw the FDR website in 2009. FDR did all the settlement negotiation and many were cut to one third and most to half of original debt. All contract and payment were done online with no problem. Thank you in doing what your website says.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

Freedom Financial, along with their counselors and customer service representatives, helped me get my financial life back on track. They were always positive, encouraging and patient. There is no question that the program works. Be diligent and follow the plan, and you too can be debt free in a shorter period of time than you might think.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I really enjoyed getting rid of my high interest credit cards. However, Freedom Financial does not tell you that you have to report on your fed taxes any settlements. They also do not tell you which credit card companies do not settle. I had to learn the hard way that Capital One does not. Now I have legal judgment on my credit report.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

FDR stated several things found not to be true. I was contacted by the San Mateo County District Attorney who asked for information on FDR and their promises and practices. I do not plan to need another company for debt counsel and assistance, but I would be much more careful selecting an honest qualified service. FDR is less than acceptable.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I was very pleased that Freedom Debt Relief helped me reach my goal to be debt free and I will say they were step by step with me during that period paying my creditors. Even in the beginning, it was very difficult but at the end, I felt relief that they helped me reach my goal. I recommend anyone that has a debt problem to call FDR and I'm sure they will help you resolve your problem. Thank you, FDR.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2012

These guys were able to take my creditors to the mat and make deals I was unable to negotiate on my own. I worked for months trying to get two of my creditors to offer up a settlement and no results. Once I started with these guys, the settlements came after less than 6 months, but Freedom was able to lend the moral support to help me get through the process with simple suggestions like what to expect and how to deal with creditor calls and letters. The whole process was much less expensive than bankruptcy.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2012

I was with the program for close to six months. One of the companies wanted to settle for 30 cents on the dollar. The original amount was $5,000. They wanted to settle for $1500 in three installment payments. I e-mailed Freedom and told them to go ahead. No one called back. I realized they want the $3,000 fee for the 36 months I would be enrolled in the program - not cool! I cancelled my account and they refunded my $1,900 to my account within two days. That, I will give to them! I will now wait, like my brother's attorney said, for the third party to send correspondence in the mail to settle the accounts. What a wait of time and time. I could have settled it myself. Lesson learned!

No response received
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2012

I was with Freedom for 3 years. They assured me it would be settled in 36 months. At 36 months, they said it would take another year to settle. I was forced to opt out of program. I still owe creditors. Please, I warn you, do not use them. They will not give you straight answers. Now, I am broke and still owe creditors.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Oct. 21, 2012

This idiot (me) heard about "Freedom Financial" on Dr. Michael Savage's radio show, so I thought it was trustworthy. Big mistake. I signed up in August 2009, owing about $35,000 in various unsecured and/or high interest loans. Freedom Financial and its various mutations, including Alliance 8, did actually pay off one of my loans ... after charging me $606 for a year and a half - almost as much as I was paying out to begin with. Then I got $2000 more on top of that. They did nothing more. I was taken to court by one of my debtors in July 2011. They offered no support, assistance, or advice. They didn't do anything about the debt either. I kind of knew I'd been had for sure when they stopped answering their telephones. Dealing with this company was the biggest mistake I ever made. My credit score is ruined, and I'm still trying to get everything paid off - which has typically meant putting the debt on my only functioning credit card or taking money from my retirement plan to pay it off. Dealing with Freedom Financial turned my financial situation into a nightmare, a disaster, a catastrophe. I wish there were some recourse against them. I'd certainly avail my self of it.

Insufficient response received
    Original review: Oct. 15, 2012

If I didn't have to choose a star, I wouldn't! I would never recommend this company to anyone. I was promised all of my debt would be taken care of; however, I have ended up paying one of my debt collectors (who was enrolled in FDR) on my own. Also, my husband’s checks are currently being garnished $200 a week because this company did not do their job. I was putting all this money into their account and two years later still nothing had been resolved. I had to initiate everything myself and they refuse to refund any money I have paid them. This company is a joke and their customer service shows no empathy. It’s a zero-star rating from me!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2012

My husband had credit card debt from a previous marriage, $62,587. We were paying extra on the cards to try to pay them down, but the credit cards jacked up the interest rates so it was impossible to even make the minimum payment. We contacted FDR. They claimed they could reduce the debt to $37,816 and our monthly payment would be $945 for 40 months and "then we would be debt-free". Our first payment was made on June 20, 2008. We continued to make every payment until 3/12/2010, 21 payments x $945 = $19,845. For what? I don't know. We stopped the program on 3/12/10 when we were served with arbitration papers for one of the creditors FDR showed as "in active negotiations".

Prior to stopping the program, I contacted FDR. First response was, the "Legal Account Resolution Unit" would get back to us. When I received the response from this unit, the response was - "You will need to file a response or answer to the lawsuit filed against you. If you do not, a default judgment may be issued in your creditor's favor. I am enclosing a blank example answer form for your review, which may help you with the form of an answer. Since I am not licensed to practice law, I cannot assist you in the completion of this answer. I have provided you with an informational packet regarding filing an answer." No help. At that point, we contacted a lawyer to file for bankruptcy in March 2010.

Despite paying a retainer, multiple follow ups and updated information provided over the last 2 years, our file hasn't moved forward with an official filing. Since then, the original lawyer transferred our file and retainer to another legal office and now we have to start all over again with the paperwork. How can these companies continue to scam people and we have no recourse against them, when all we are trying to do is pay our bills? What did they do with the $19,000 we paid? Meanwhile, the credit card totals keep growing since nothing has been paid on them and the interest and penalties keep being added. Please, please don't be scammed by these people. I should have trusted my intuition, knowing deep down it was probably too good to be true. We were just trying to do the right thing.

No response received
    Original review: Aug. 17, 2012

So far, I've had three of my creditors issue court summons and have been asked to fork over tons of extra $ to the so-called "get the negotiations under way". Three of my creditors continue to add late fees & interest charges resulting in twice the debt that I entered the program with. Their so-called “advanced collections department” just sits back to wait & see if an attorney enters the scene before they even call your creditors to explain that you are in their program. Only after you have been served do they attempt to do anything! I'll probably end up paying 2 or 3 times the debt that I first enrolled & paying this debt the rest of my life. I absolutely discourage anyone from entering this program. All this has accomplished is stress, forking over tons more $, and increased debt due to their lack of contact with any of the creditors until you are served. Do not enter this program!

No response received
    Original review: Aug. 16, 2012

After consulting with Freedom Debt Relief about possibly consolidating debt, we chose to go with another option. Upon notifying our agent that we were not going to go with them, we were sent a very rude and arrogant email, the end of which was this: "There are no other options so when you are tired of treading water and wish to come ashore faster and less costly than anything else, give us a call." I would not recommend this company to anyone. Degrading a potential customer due to their current financial struggles is not only unethical but outright rude.

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information