4.4/5 (2481 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2013

For someone like me who lost a husband, this agency was the best way for me to at least attempt to pay off my debts. This agency worked with me in setting up payment plan till I fully paid the debts. It wasn't easy but I can now say that I completed the program, and what a great feeling it was on that day. Thank you Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2013

Joining the program, getting all our debt together and determining a manageable amount to pay so that Freedom Financial could negotiate for us, they did a wonderful job. I called quite often and everyone was polite and helpful and communicated promptly via phone call and email. We took nearly four years to complete the process but when it was all done, all debt was paid and gone. Thanks for all the help we got.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2012

I retained Freedom Debt Relief to negotiate my credit card debt. All this company did was lie about how the business works. First, they told me that I would set up an account and I would pay my creditors. I am a year and a half into the program and still waiting to set up my account. Secondly, they would take their fee of 20% at the end of the program, the end of three accounts paid. Third, the cards were to be closed and my balances would be frozen when I joined the program. The balances were negotiated higher than when I joined the program. A $13,000 balance was settled for $15,000 and a $5,200 balance was settled for $6,391. Fourth, my draft was set at $681. They took $682. Finally, they said there was no fee on the bank draft but there was a fee. I just don't know how much because the statements they sent are useless. No one should be treated like this.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2012

I have been a client for three years. I have made every payment on time and in full. I have saved every email that they have sent me and always checked my statement online. Tracking my progress through the customer portal, I have noticed that I am very close to the end of my settlement. I called tonight to see if I could make a lump sum payment to pay it off early in order to rebuild my credit faster. Upon talking to a representative, he told me I owed quadruple what I believed that I owed. After scrambling to figure out what was wrong, he informed me that I only owe one thousand more than what my customer portal stated was the remaining debit. Representative Kyle stated that the website isn't always updated. Literally almost my entire statement was wrong.

Be aware that you are paying for services that they are not providing. I asked to speak to a manager. I waited on hold for over 10 minutes. I finally got **. She spoke down to me and was overall rude. She made me feel as if she was doing me a favor by providing me services. She even disconnected me. I am very displeased with this organization. I will never recommend anyone to use this organization. They do reduce your debit but be aware that they also provide you with inaccurate information every month. It makes it hard to rebuild your credit when you are not given all the information.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2012

Freedom Debt Relief helped me get back in control of my financial affairs. Their work with creditors on my behalf was irreplaceable. My monthly payments were such that allowed me to maintain all of my other responsibilities without falling further behind! I am very pleased with the work they did, and now, I am beginning to be free from debt!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2012

I was frustrated with harassment from debt collectors from credit cards. Doing business with these debt collectors was like dealing over a used car. I called Freedom and they worked out a payment schedule that I could handle. Once I signed up, the harassment from the debt collectors slowly began to cease. Once I received a court summons and once I mentioned "Freedom", it all went away. Every time I called Freedom for help/advice, they were prompt in helping. I seldom had to wait and not ever did I get a runaround. I do wholeheartedly recommend Freedom. Give them a chance and they will clear your debt issues away.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2012

I had over $75K in credit card debt in the beginning of 2009. I was at my wit’s end. All my credit cards had reached their highest interest rate ever, and I didn't see how I would ever be able to pay them off without selling my house! FDR worked diligently to resolve the debts with my creditors by negotiating cash settlements on my behalf. Of course, the balances of each card continued to incur interest and late penalties and had reached almost $96K total by the time they got my debt reduced to a mere $35K by negotiating. That was a savings of over $60K! I know I couldn't have done it without them and owe them more than they will ever know. I have recommended their services to anyone that has spoken to me about their outstanding debt. All I have in the way of debt now is my house, which I should be able to pay off much more quickly, now that I don't have all those credit card payments! They truly turned my life around. Thank you FDR, from the bottom of my heart!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2012

Our experience was almost perfect. The person who assisted us before we signed up (I think his name was Mark) was excellent. He very thoroughly explained every step of the process and what we could expect. He even told us ahead of time about the tax problems we could have. There was a small problem getting an account straightened out because the balance had been transferred to a new account and was added to our FDR profile as the old one, and they kept telling us that it would increase our monthly rate because we couldn't get them to understand it was only taking the place of an account that was already on there. Other than that, a perfect experience and we are debt-free for almost a year! Thank you so much!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2012

There are good and bad with the program. Your credit has to totally go to pot, which was hard for me. We were good credit customers before, just very maxed out. We owed over $25,000 in credit card debt. We were almost sued by one company, so we borrowed from our 401K and paid a big chunk and graduated early. Our credit scores are very low now, but we are working on rebuilding. The biggest thing is the hit you take on your taxes! All of the debt you write off counts as untaxed income. We have had no tax return for two years. But without their help, I would probably be even deeper in debt. Just do your shopping. There are lots of people to help you. I am not sure FDR is the best choice.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2012

I was desperate with credit card debt. I tried to work with the credit card companies, but they refused to work with me. I had always paid my bill on time and always paid more than the minimum payment. Yet, the interest rate and minimum balance requirement kept being raised each month. I did not want to file bankruptcy. Then, while researching on the internet, I found Freedom Financial. What a life saver. They worked with me, and kept the creditors off my back. This relieved so much stress on my end. As promised, within 2 years, my debt was reduced and paid in full. I highly recommend Freedom Financial.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2012

My wife and I wouldn't have gotten out of our credit card debt with such a structured, affordable program. Having Freedom take care of things took a tremendous weight off of our minds as we are raising 2 small children and working full time. The experience also taught us to avoid the situation that got us there. Freedom reps were also very helpful and responsive throughout the entire 3-year process up until the final payment. Thanks Freedom!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2012

I started off with great expectations of assistance with your company. I even recommended my son for your program. I believed that the numbers given to me would be the true numbers and the time frame given would be true. Not only was I misled, in turn my son was misled. Your company did eventually help me, but the time frame was much longer than I was led to believe. I won't recommend you again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2012

This program does work! It takes time to build up cash to settle one account at a time. The people at Freedom Debt Relief are extremely nice and help in any way they can. You will be out of debt in a few short years. Yes, it does take years. But you will pay 40-50% less than you owe. Your credit score will still go down but it would, no matter what. I highly recommend FDR.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2012

We were in big trouble with our credit card debt. We had only two choices, bankruptcy or debt settlement. My husband saw something on TV about Freedom Debt Relief so we contacted them. At first we thought it would take forever to get through it but when we did, we had the feeling of knowing we didn't walk away from our problem, we accepted it and now, we are in a much better place financially.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2012

I am so grateful to FDR for their professional and very personal approach to handling my debt reduction program. They did everything they promised and more - finished months ahead and thousands of dollars less than they projected. It was such a relief (no pun intended) to have someone who knew exactly what they were doing to take over this problem for me after I lost my job in 2010. It was extremely challenging for me, someone who had always had excellent credit, to face this obstacle, and FDR came through. They answered all my questions and concerns patiently and professionally, and they told me exactly what to do to avoid the dreaded collection calls. I am now credit card debt-free, and on top of that, I got my job and credit back in September of this year. So I don't have to face years of payments, and I can really start fresh. Thanks to FDR. I am so grateful!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2012

A few of my issues with your company are: First, I was lied to in my initial call to you. I was very concerned about my credit report and what effect this would have on it. I was informed by your company that it only stayed on your credit report for one year. Imagine my shock when two years later, I tried to help my son and cosign for college loans for him. I was misled into thinking by this point my credit was fine. I have settled some of these accounts approximately four years ago and they are still on my credit report and damaging my credit score. Secondly, I had to call my last creditor and negotiate the settlement price with them. I paid your company to handle this and I had to do it on my own. Finally, your company did not send me the debt forms for my taxes in a timely manner.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I was in large debt in 2008. My friend told me about this company. I decided to call and search it. I was surprised that same day they helped me out. I got out of the debt in 3 years and resolved my divorce. I advise anyone to take advantage of this company. You deserve to sleep at night.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

Freedom Financial helped me settle $60,000 in debt in under 2 years! They were with me every step of the way with support, advice and encouragement. Customer service agents were always very courteous and helped me feel at ease when creditors were pressuring me. Freedom Financial always explained what was happening and made sure I was comfortable with each situation I encountered. I would highly recommend Freedom Financial for reclaiming your finances!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

The phone call I made 3 years ago to a lady named Linda of Freedom Debt Relief was the best thing I could have ever done for our financial future. We were not behind on our bills but could only afford to pay the minimum on the credit cards; there was no end game in sight. Freedom Debt Relief gave us hope for a debt-free future. The first year I would say in all honesty was the hardest because you have to learn to live without credit cards as a crutch. After the first year, money eases up and you start to see the light at the end of the debt tunnel. It’s a pretty light, but without the team at Freedom Debt Relief, we would still be living in a debt crushing existence of what we are now - debt-free! It’s not easy to make a change like this, living without credit cards. But it is so worth the effort. We will never use a credit card again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I was very pleased with how my case was handled. Anytime I called with a question, they responded quickly and accurately. I was able to settle my debts for less than quoted and at a faster rate. They were also quick to end my payments and return left over funds to me. I am glad I chose FDR to handle my debt settlement.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I can't believe this Christmas, I have no debts. I am only buying what I can pay for. The time flew fast with my Freedom Debt Relief although I thought at the beginning I wouldn't ever get there. I appreciate the professional handling of my personal business and the support of all the staff. I wish all of you a very happy and merry Christmas!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I had a good experience with Freedom Debt Relief. My only complaint would be all the fees associated with it and the fact my credit is still hurt by it. But I understand both of these "problems". I got myself into my mess, and it was nice to have someone help me get out of it without declaring bankruptcy and hurting my credit even more.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

It was very, very sad to wake up at 65 years of age and realize so many things about money: (1) credit cards are not your friend; (2) interest rates are now what used to be called usury and were illegal; and (3) we were in trouble after I lost my job. On the other hand, it was extremely wonderful to find Freedom Debt Relief to act as my partner to guide me in getting through the jungle of debt I had created. I learned so much and now am a better negotiator myself and have been debt-free (other than my car and my mortgage) for going on a year. I deal with cash, and I wait if I want something until I can pay for it. And compounding is great when it is working for you rather than for the credit card companies! God bless Freedom Debt Relief - I would recommend them to anyone who needs this kind of help.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I like the way they worked with me when I was offered a settlement from a credit card that I felt was a good offer. They lowered my monthly payment for 6 months so I could accept the better deal. I just paid off my last credit card. It feels good to be able to pay cash for items that I need.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

Hi, please don't take this as a knock on Freedom Debt Relief. But unless you have a really compelling reason to save your credit rating, I would urge you to declare bankruptcy. Freedom did everything they claimed and the people were really nice. But today, with another year and a half of paying a third of my pay every month, I wish I'd taken advantage of the laws on bankruptcy. I know it's my debt and I deserve to pay it. But when my tax dollars go to bail out the "Too Big to Fail" folks, that fact loses its strength. Anyway, that would be my advice, take it or leave it. God bless!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I thank Debt Relief for the help they gave me in solving my debt problems. I was in a bad situation, facing quadruple heart surgery and all this debt which was causing great stress. I am very happy to have all of this resolved, and thank all the people involved for their kindness and consideration.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

It's a double edged sword. On one hand, you are getting your debt paid off with lower payments each month and in less time, but on the other hand, your credit is going to crap. At first, you are making payments to Freedom but they are being saved up in a special account, while you pay their fees. Then more is being saved up so they can make an "offer" to pay off each credit card starting with the lowest first. In all this time, payments are not being made to the credit cards and you are being marked down as not making payments, so your good credit is gone. Even though when it's all said and done, you don't have any more credit card debt, you have horrible credit. And the payments lasted a whole year longer than what they told me it would. I would never tell anyone to get rid of their credit in this way. It's worse in the long run.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I got my self in debt with my credit card no matter how I try to pay the card off. I don't use it, but it still goes down. It got to me so much that I felt like sitting down and crying. Then I saw on TV about Freedom Debt help. After talking to them, I had a feeling that they could help me. It was hard and I’m not telling it was easy at first to have to make your self do without having that money you put aside to pay the debt off. But in the end, you learn how to handle your money a lot better and that was the best Christmas present that I got when Freedom Debt sent me an email saying I was all done with the program. I like to thank Freedom for helping me put my life back together. I feel a lot better and proud of myself getting know how to handle my money. Thank you again for your help. If you need the help with your money problem, go to Freedom Debt. They will help you.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing this experience with us Patrick. During the Holiday Season times can seem tough, especially when burdened with debt, that is why we try hard to help each client reach their goals. We are happy to hear that you are doing great!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

I was $80,000 in debt, 3 kids and a wife. A school teacher with no hope, but I took a chance with Freedom Debt. If it wasn't for my friend helping me get into the program and taking a leap of faith, I wouldn't be here 3 years later and cleared out my debt. Thanks to you all. You helped me with creditors and did the dirty work I couldn't do. Special thanks to Robert ** from San Antonio that believed in your program and was my guardian angel. Thanks my friend.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2012

Freedom Debt Relief is a program to get out of debt. It makes you feel like the noose is loose and almost off your head. When I was halfway done, I felt that I had more room to breathe. Thanks to Freedom Debt Relief for helping me become debt free because now I'm in the process of buying a house. Thanks to the people who helped me to get debt free. Thank you again.

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information