Get Started

4.4/5 (3662 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

I have only been with Freedom for about 9 months and they have already settled one of my accounts and have another almost completely settled, and have tentatively reached a settlement on another account. I could never do it this quickly on my own.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

I was in need of credit relief when I found FDR. I am so blessed. Have been with this program for 4 months and have resolved 1 account and making progress. This is wonderful and I am so thankful to have them. I am less stressed now. I would recommend this company and program 100%.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

I am relatively new to the program. I have been enrolled less than a year. As of this time Freedom Debt Relief has already resolved one of my outstanding debts. Their customer service reps have always been helpful and I am looking forward to completing the program.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2014

Thanks for helping me get my debt issues on the way to be resolved!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

The introduction was impressive, very sugar coated. They made you to believe that within six months your debts would have been settled. In the long run they became two mouthed, you couldn't get a straight answer. My time with them ended with going to court without any kind of representation, my case became public record as a delinquent. At the very end I paid the creditor out of my pocket. Although they did settle with the other creditor they kept monies that was promised to be returned because they never said what their fee was in the beginning no matter how many times you inquired. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND FREEDOM DEBT RELIEF TO MY WORST ENEMY. If I knew that my situation would have been public knowledge I would have negotiated with the debtors myself and paid them off.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear about your experience and your frustrations. Your contract states that you can be sued by a creditor, although this does not happen very often, it can and we are sorry that it happened to you. As far as fees, we only charge fees on accounts that we negotiate a settlement on that our clients approve. I will have this account reviewed and if there was any issues with fees being collected that were not approved by you, we will be more than happy to look into a refund.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2014

I have been with the program since November of 2013. I submitted 7 vendors to be paid. To date they have settled 5 of them and most of them were paid off by 40-50% of the outstanding balances. I admit it was a little stressful in the beginning but after a certain amount of months, it worked in my favor very well.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2014

We have been a member of Freedom for 8 months. 2 of our accounts have been settled. The best is knowing that I have someone a phone call away that I can call and get advice. If I receive a letter, I have someone to fax it to who can tell me what to do with it. I had 8 accounts. Now I feel we are getting somewhere. It will take time but I know we are getting better each day.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2014

I love the way I am kept up to date on the progress of my reconciliation. I am further along than I imagined I could be by now and I'm excited that I'll be debt free soon.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

We called and was helped the day we called and have received calls every so often to see if any changes or concerns. Every person I spoke with was polite and helpful.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

I signed up with this company in January and am now in August with one account paid off at 30%, another about to be paid off at 50% and another having just entered settlement. The only thing I have done is to scan and email any correspondence I receive from my creditors, sign anything they need me to sign, and make sure I have the monthly amount to be drawn from my account every month. Customer service is always helpful via phone and email. At first, I was receiving calls and emails as a courtesy check-in every two weeks. Now that I'm in settlement, they come at least once a month. I am very happy so far, and can't wait to see all of my debt gone!! I highly recommend this company, as long as you are financially able to grow your account to help settle that debt!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

I had to stop the draft for a couple of months. I have called twice to have it restarted and was assured it would be. To date it has not.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Your draft is on, although the last attempt to make a draft resulted in an error. We will contact you to make sure we have all of your correct banking information.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

Yes very satisfied. Freedom financial took all the stress and worry I was feeling away.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

I was extremely disappointed with Freedom Debt. I feel you were sitting back waiting for the creditors to seek legal action instead of being proactive in settling our debts. You only settled one. It was because a lawyer got involved and we only save 300 dollars of the total debt. We have since settled 2 on our own and were able to cut both debts in half.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear about this, although you just started our program in April of 2014 and it is explained to our clients that our clients first settlement on average happens in 4-5 months. When an account goes into legal status, we prioritize those accounts to minimize more fees, interest and penalties. We are sorry that you decided to terminate from the program so soon. We have been helping clients become debt free for over 14 years and have saved our clients over 1.6 Billion dollars!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2014

I have had nothing but a positive experience with FDS. You have answered all of my questions and been very attentive to my account.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2014

We have been able to resolve 2 of 6 accounts in our first year alone with an average of about 45% of the account balances as the settled amount. Service and attention along the way has been outstanding.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2014

So far I am happy with the outcomes of the company. Very happy with the customer service operators and the friendliness of the staff and workers.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

I had a huge debt (to me anyway) that I owed to a bank credit card. This was really the only credit card debt that I had but it was overwhelming. With my other day to day expenses of living I was really hurting financially. I was running in the red. Other companies that I talked to either did not want to help me with only one card to resolve my debt or their payment plan was out of my reach with my financial position. Freedom financial was willing to work with me to come up with a payment plan that I could live with. I am paying less per month than I was paying on the card and I am well on my way to resolving my outstanding debt. Thank you Freedom Financial!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

My experience started out very rocky. However, after things were settled in, I have had nothing but a fantastic relationship with Freedom Debt Relief. Their team is so friendly and helpful. They listen, have empathy and truly do everything they can to help. Many thanks!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

My biggest concern in my case is that they do not try to settle the accounts that have a higher balance. The longer you wait more fees added and finally it is going to be the customer responsibility to pay it all. Because FDR already got their fees taken out. FDR also need to be reminded time to time so that THEY will look into the account. My first settlement was not even looked at until I called them and mentioned about "how I have been waiting to hearing from them about a settlement". These are the major disappointments I have with FREEDOM DEBT RELIEF!!! I have been paying on time ever since I was enrolled.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We understand your frustration, but we have settled 2 of your accounts that were enrolled into the program and we only charge our fees when we have successfully negotiated a settlement that our clients approve. There are many variables that determine which creditor we contact at which point in the program. We will have someone review your program and contact you with a full review.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2014

They are doing exactly what they say, and I am happy so far with the results. Great job.

So far so good.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

The beginning is not nice but later You will be ok.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

So far after 6 months, my experience with Freedom debt Relief has been positive. They resolved one debt and waiting on a much larger account. They gave me the incentive to resolve another account on my own. The high interest rates made it impossible to catch up on credit cards so even though your credit rating goes down, it really helps to try to get rid of the debt and start over.. They are courteous, helpful and consumer friendly.. I recommend them highly!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

Since joining Freedom Debt Relief I get e-mails keeping me updated on my status, phone calls just to check on me seeing if there is anything they can do or answer. The workers here are very courteous and take the time to explain to me what's going in and what can happen. Thank you Freedom Debt Relief for all you do and all you've done for me and a piece of my that everything is going to be ok. Thanks again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

They claimed to help me but have done nothing at all for seven months!! They are not settling ANYTHING! I am still getting threats of being sued and they made me commit to an unreasonable amount of money a month, so much that I may lose my home now. They will not give me information about my own account! Refuse to return calls and the biggest lie they tell you is that there is no fees unless they settle. That’s funny because I paid hundreds in fees and NO settlements yet!! Now I am trying to just get my money back and can't even do that!! Freedom Financial you owe me a couple thousand!

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear about your frustration regarding our program. After reviewing your program, there have been no settlements completed, but you have only been in the program about 4 and 1/2 months and our average settlement can take place in the 5th month. We have attempted top contact you several times since you joined our program and have only been able to leave messages and send emails. I see you called Cross Roads Financial to terminate on 8/7. We will make sure someone contacts you to make sure your program has been terminated and your funds in your dedicated account have been sent back to you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

You were always ready to help. Did a great job. Got our life back somewhat.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

So far I can see some progress. My questions are answered in a timely and caring way. Of course I will be glad when everything is finished but I have been diligently changing how I manage my money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2014

Everyone has been helpful.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2014

I was in the program for approx. 9 months. I was always calling to see where exactly my account was going. After I would call, things would happen. Paid off two accounts or made 2 offers I should say. My credit was fine before I got in the program, was never late. Just wanted to get in program that I could get rid off accounts in a timely manner. I guess I was in a program that was not for me. I have cancelled and my credit is ruined. I couldn't qualify for anything now. Every time I called I got someone new and always a different story about my account. I can't do anything now so I guess I need say no more but I would never recommend Freedom Relief.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear about your experience in our program. After reviewing your program, it looks like you decided to terminate only after being in the program for just about 11 months. The estimated time to complete our program was 36 months. It is unfortunate, but your credit does get impacted and this is reviewed with our clients during their welcome call into the program and in the contract.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2014

I am very dissatisfied with this program and would not recommend it. In hind sight, we should have gone in a different direction and investigated more thoroughly before going ahead with Freedom. The endless phone calls from creditors even after we mailed a letter to each one with change of address and letters requesting that our accounts be closed. We fully understand that it is our own fault for getting into debt in the first place, but Freedom Debt Relief was the wrong program to choose. Our credit score is horrible and it will take years to reclaim a good score. The other thing is that it has affected the chances of my wife getting a job as companies do credit background checks. Thus, with the state of our financial status being in horrible condition, employers see that as a red flag and do not even offer an interview.

So for now we continue to move forward with the program and can only hope that some employer will hire my wife and we can then work toward ridding ourselves of our debt once and for all. Sadly, we do not feel that the name Freedom Debt Relief does not reflect what actually takes place... at least not for a long, long time. And not without the constant reminder when the phone rings and it is yet another creditor or collection agency. And as we go through this, we are doing all we can to keep our marriage together. All we can do is hope that it survives to the end. So you wanted to know. My wife too has expressed several times via email her discontent with Freedom Debt Relief. She also feels directly responsible for getting us into the program as she is the one who presented it to me. We both should have waited and checked out other programs. Shame on us.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear about your situation. Our program is not for everyone. We do review the impact that being in our program can have on your credit and we do also inform you that because you do owe money to your creditors, they have the right to contact you and in some cases even sue you, although the percentage of accounts that go into a legal status are minimal. Many of our clients start seeing a positive impact to their credit as soon as accounts start getting resolved. I will have someone contact you to review the status of your program and what you can expect.

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information