4.4/5 (2805 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: July 7, 2016

The staff members are very professional and helpful. I love the fact they update you with the status and inform you with enough information you need to know. Most of all you feel the dedication & the support.

Original review: July 6, 2016

I would highly recommend this company to anyone that's looking for help in debt reduction. Fantastic service and very helpful. I'll have one form of debt paid off this month already!

Original review: July 6, 2016

Don't understand where all the money is being spent on my acct. Not Happy.

Original review: June 30, 2016

Thank you, FDR!! Doing great job. 2 account settled in 6 months. Highly recommended to relatives and friends. Keep up the good work and more power and blessings to come. ❤️

Original review: June 30, 2016

Very good service. Keeps you up to date. Thanks for a job well done.

Original review: June 30, 2016

You guys are beautiful. You are doing everything you said you would! You are AA bad!

Original review: June 30, 2016

They are very eager to help and you will get a lot of calls and letters from creditors but be patient as that is part of the process. I spoke with similar companies and they do business in the same manner but they don't have as good of service.

Original review: June 30, 2016

I am very happy with the result of my debt. It has been so fast the result of the problem with my accounts. The support team is so great. They always look for a Solutions to go forward to solve the situation. So far l am very happy with my outcome. I really recommend Freedom financial to others.

Original review: June 30, 2016

I would recommend Freedom Debt Relief to anyone who is struggling with debt. They settled with my first creditor after 3 months. Their online client dashboard is a very useful tool if you want to see where they are at with your creditors.

Original review: June 30, 2016

Everyone has been helpful.

Original review: June 29, 2016

I have sent multiple emails asking specific questions and have effectively been ignored. The person that signed me up is nowhere to be found, voicemail and email messages go unanswered. When I do get a response the message simply tells me to go the portal site. Your referral program sounds good once you figure out what the rules are - it started with a $150 gift card when I referred someone after I was enrolled 2 months; then it was after the referred person made 3 payments; then it was after I made 3 payments; now I understand it's after I made 6 payments... so what is it and do your customer service folks know the facts?

Although you have helped resolve 1 of my 5 enrolled accounts and are working on another - the others continue to rack up late payment charges (and continue to kill my credit rating) and interest charges. Shouldn't these charges stop once an agreement is reached with the creditor? Good company but I'm not impressed with your customer service.

Original review: June 29, 2016

I am very pleased with FDR. A few communication issues were resolved within a satisfactory time frame. Promptness through emails are great.

Original review: June 29, 2016

Had trouble making last payment on time and CS was very helpful.

Original review: June 29, 2016

They are making amazing progress with my debt. I check in with them every other week and feel so relieved and confident that the team they have put together are working hard on my behalf! Couldn't be more excited about my financial future!

No response received
    Original review: June 27, 2016

I was completely misled when I signed up with this program. I was told that my money would build in an escrow account until final debts was paid and any and all fees charged by FDR would be collected at the END of the program once final debt was paid in full. Fee schedule also not explained. WHAT REALLY HAPPENED:

I had $10,000 in the escrow account, $3000 was paid to the creditor (on a $16,000 settlement) the other $5,185 (partial fees to FDR) were deducted and paid immediately to FDR. NOT to my creditor. FDR had reduced my payments to the creditor, delaying the payoff process and they are still taking $255 monthly out of my $555 monthly payment for their fees. Also not going to my creditor. Point being, I was NEVER told this OR that they charge 21% of the ORIGINAL debt amount for their fees, which they take up front. Of course I am LIVID, and when I told the agent that I felt that this was unethical business, he actually AGREED with me!! About his own company.

When I asked about withdrawing from the program, I was told that ALL funds paid to date, fees and all, totaling over $8000 (of which only $3000 has gone to the creditor) would be LOST. What a SCAM. Now I am held HOSTAGE by this bunch of criminals. I could've had this debt paid off in a year and had my credit restored to its previous 790 but because they took their cut out FIRST, it will take another 2 years to pay off. THEY WILL NOT TELL YOU ANY OF THIS. BE WARNED. This company practices are unethical. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience in working with Freedom Debt Relief. We are committed to providing an excellent service experience and want to ensure our clients are completely satisfied when working through their requested debt settlement program.

We have sent a direct message to this customer so we can look into their concerns further and find a satisfactory resolution.

Original review: June 27, 2016

The information on the dashboard is inadequate and not useful. The information is too limited. My debt is mostly medical, so the company name listed is not always familiar to me. For example, Argent Healthcare is not a name on any of my bills, nor can I find an account number that matches the last four digits FDR provides on the dashboard. I can try to guess using the amount owed, but I have more than one bill that is $731. In addition, after I submitted my initial group of debts to FDR, I became aware that medical providers were willing to forgive the debt upon learning of my husband's death.

They require a copy of the death certificate. So, I asked FDR if they would take a copy of my husband's death certificate to use in negotiating. The answer was this: "I have received your request you had submitted from the client dashboard. I apologize for such a late response back to your request. I send our condolences for the death of your husband. In reviewing your account, we do not see his name listed as a co-client, so it would not be necessary to submit the death certificate." I have no words. Now I am contacting the medical providers individually and presenting his death certificate. Most are forgiving the debt then I have to contact FDR and have the account deleted.

This is what I thought I hired you to do. I sent an email which includes my ** number, asking that an account for Synchrony Bank be added to the list. That was on May 6. I sent another email June 25. I have yet to get a response and the account has not been added. On another occasion, I sent a request to add an account and accidentally did not attach the bill. The response from FDR was this: "We are happy to advise that this email confirms your request to add your Banner Health account ending in ** has been received. However, we are not able to add an account without having a recent statement on file. We request that the statement be no older than 60 days. You may have to call your creditor to request a statement if you are not in possession of one."

I followed up on this and learned that I had accidentally sent the email without an attachment. That is not what was communicated to me. The response was the statement needed to be no older than 60 days, not that a statement had not been presented with my request. There is a pattern of miscommunication happening and I have lost confidence in FDR. I have told my Primerica representative that they need to disassociate with FDR.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Original review: June 25, 2016

As someone who has always had great credit, it was a little hard to stomach turning over 2 of my creditors and just stop paying them, only to see my credit score plummet. I would have much preferred a debt consolidation loan. I also was not pleased that I had to speak directly to one of the collectors to finagle a deal. I thought that was FDR's job.

Original review: June 24, 2016

I was worried at first, but everyone has been so nice and helpful. The progress of getting my debt paid off has been a quick process. Would definitely recommend to a friend or family member.

Original review: June 23, 2016

When I contacted National Debt Relief and got transferred to Freedom Debt Relief with a new phone rep it should have been a red flag for me; however I proceeded to enroll and now regret it. I had way too much credit card debt for them to help, $62,000. I had some hiccups initially that were eventually resolved, and they settled my first debt in less than 2 months and thought everything was going pretty well. I had also signed up for the optional legal representation from NLLG for a monthly fee to "protect" me in the event of a lawsuit. I never missed or changed the amount of the bi-weekly auto debits from my checking even though funds were thin. I thought I was doing everything right. Fast forward to months 7 and 8 in the program, they settled 3 x more debts and I was very happy!

However, at this time I also noticed that my debt free date on the website portal changed daily and I received a letter from a collections company about one of my enrolled debts so I proceeded to submit questions about these issues via the web portal. A few weeks went by, no response. So I sent another request via the portal with the original case numbers and again no response, even a month later. When I first enrolled with Freedom I would get a response within 24 hours, so when my questions went on for months unanswered I started to get suspect of declining customer service. I set aside some time to call to see what the issue was, and then at month 9 I get a knock at my door after work with papers served for a lawsuit. I immediately contacted NLLG and although they were prompt responding back to me I started to do my own research regarding possible outcomes.

What I found was that NLLG basically handles the legal paperwork for your lawsuit and will attempt to settle with the creditor before a judgment is made against you. Best case scenario, you settle, pay NLLG some additional fees and proceed. The problem that I had discovered was that although I had thousands of dollars built up at month 6 of the program, once those 3 additional accounts were settled at months 7 and 8, my account was pretty much drained to cover the Freedom fees. I understood that this would happen going in, however, what I didn't realize is that Freedom would settle debts that would basically take all of my monthly contributions for the next 12 - 18 months after fees leaving me with an escrow account that would not build funds again until those settlements were paid off. So, where would I get the money to pay to settle with the creditor that was suing me? I wouldn't, and couldn't.

If I happened to sell something to pay the lawsuit off, Freedom would still take fees, NLLG would still take fees and even if everything worked out for me with this lawsuit, what would happen if I got sued again? So, before I agreed to anything with NLLG or Freedom I proceeded to consult a reputable bankruptcy attorney to go over my options. What I discovered going over things with this attorney was that I should have filed bankruptcy in the first place and that is on me for not talking to an attorney before enrolling with Freedom. However, given the debt load that I had $62,000 with 48 months to complete the program, and going over the fees that Freedom charged, I was advised that no creditors would have waited that long to settle and that I should not had my case accepted by Freedom. The attorney also advised me that they have seen this scenario with Freedom Financial and other debt settlement companies numerous times.

Oh, and let’s not forget the tax implications of debt settlement. It's not as easy to claim insolvency as Freedom claims, and I don't think most people will want to owe back taxes on top of debt! So in the end, just to sum up my experience, I was in the program for almost 10 months, got sued, have paid Freedom almost $8000 and settled/paid off less than $1200 in debts, and paying for a bankruptcy now. So I cannot recommend Freedom Financial, at least to someone with similar debt amounts as me.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We apologize he has decided cancel his service with us. While enrolled he was successful in resolving several of his debts. Upon approval of the settlements we advise our clients the details of the settlements including fees, if the client does not agree with the arrangement they have the ability to reject the resolution and ask us to go back and review the account. This doesn't mean the end result changes but we strive to essentially resolve their concerns. We have been in contact with him to assure his concerns are addressed and look forward to resolving his issues immediately.

Original review: June 23, 2016

My experience with Freedom Debt Relief was exactly what I was told it would be. Customer service was always available and curious. They had patience with me. They did a great job getting my debt settled. Thank you Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: June 23, 2016

So far Freedom Debt Relief has settled one account and is working on several others. Getting started was easy and the people I have had contact with have been super. They have made a uncomfortable situation easier to deal with.

Original review: June 23, 2016

We are pleased with Freedom Debt Relief. They began to settle right away. We did not have to wait till we had so much money in our account. We have not received any calls from our creditors and that means a lot to us. We would recommend them to all. Thank you.

Original review: June 23, 2016

We sent an email to you all today asking you to remove our American Express card from the list of creditors, this should help us to get out of debt sooner. We've been making good faith payments to them and have had no problems doing that, we just feel that it's silly to make payments to you AND to them, so we want them removed. We would appreciate a response and a new "Estimated Debt Resolution Comparison" sheet showing our new estimated pay off date.

Original review: June 23, 2016

Freedom Debt Relief has and is doing a fine job. I would recommend Freedom to anyone that has over extended themselves. They will do a good job and as quickly as possible. They have the experience and expertise to a professional job for anyone.

Original review: June 22, 2016

This has been a wonderful experience for my husband and I. We were behind in our bills due to the expense of our son being in college. They got the creditors off our backs and stopped us from being sued. I highly recommend this to others.

Original review: June 22, 2016

I am a fairly new client to Freedom Debt Relief. So far I have no complaints. They have already settled one of my accounts. I'm looking forward to the rest. When I call for information they are very informative.

Original review: June 22, 2016

Outstanding service. Really satisfied with the way Freedom Debt Relief resolved my debt. Saved me more than 50%. I'd recommend this program to anyone with debt.

Original review: June 22, 2016

Please with the service so far...

Original review: June 22, 2016

My husband and I have been in the program for 4 months now. We have 2 of our 8 debts in progress and look forward to being debt free in a few years. The main thing for us is that we now have a plan of action, before we enrolled we just saw the debt, and that was a constant reminder of our past (tough financial and emotional experiences) and it looked like we would never see the end. Now we do. We also know that to achieve the goal to be debt free we have to continue to be responsible for making our monthly payment to FDR. We only use our debit card now. No more credit cards for us.

Original review: June 22, 2016

Everyone I talked to is polite. I really do not understand the system completely, but it would help if they would inform us monthly on the progress of the current creditors they are working on, and their plans for the next creditor to be paid. Other than that, overall the people seem nice on the phone.

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information