Get Started

4.4/5 (3661 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

I am overall dissatisfied with the time it takes to resolve these debts. I understand why, because it was explained to me last month when I was asked for feedback then. The latency is not what was explained during the sales process. I was told within 3 months, not 8 months.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We have reviewed your program details and our records indicate that we were able to negotiate a settlement with one of your creditors in about 5 months after you joined our program. The average time we obtain a settlement for our clients is 3-5 months. We are sorry if there was any confusion regarding this.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

I would recommend Debt Relief to any one of my friends. They have so far come through with everything that they promised me. Whenever I have a problem, they are there to also help me resolve it. I feel I am finally getting my finances back in order now.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2014

When I first started my account with Freedom Debt Relief I was very excited. I've been in the program for 34 months and they've been incredibly successful in negotiating amazing amounts on my 7 enrolled credit card accounts. Every person I spoke to was very helpful and very assuring every step of the way. I have one credit card in a settlement that is now paid off and one last credit card that FDR needs to finish negotiating.

The problem is now that I am able to completely pay off my account in full, I sold my house to pay off all of my debt, I am taking a horrible beating. I called for a payoff, confirmed that nothing else would be due and sent my payment to FDR immediately. A month later my account was still debited for the monthly draft. When I called I was assured if I let that go through; because suddenly there wasn't enough in the account to pay off the last settlement, the last creditor and FDR's fees (even though that was supposed to be covered by the "final" payment), that this last monthly draft would definitely be all that was required.

Hah - so when I checked up again later the same month, I still needed another $250 to cover the last settlement, the last creditor and FDR's fees. I have asked, emailed, called and spoken to various employees including supervisors and I have not been able to get a detailed statement or even get anyone to communicate with me regarding my account...unless I initiate a call. They do not return calls and do not return emails.

I called yet again as I still have not received a statement account and was told I needed to pay yet another $1200 to settle my account. Really??? I am just getting the run around now and literally being punished for paying off my account early. I will not continue to take this deplorable treatment. While I "run" to the State Attorney General's office and to my attorney you should RUN RUN RUN in the opposite direction of Freedom Debt Relief.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry for any confusion regarding the completion of your program. Someone from our Customer Service Department will review your information and contact you today.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2014

Your customer service is very helpful and supportive. Everyone I have talk to has been professional and I have always felt they were trying to help.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2014

They never return calls or emails. They will never give out extensions so you could just work with one person. When I terminated with Freedom, I was able to call the 3 accounts I had Freedom working on and settled them myself in less than 30 minutes and I didn't have to pay over $1,200 in fees to Freedom which is a rip off. When people call Freedom, they are in desperate situations and need help. Freedom is your best buddy willing to help when you make that initial call but good luck getting answers after that because they won't respond back. The fees I paid out to Freedom in 17 months could have taken care of a couple of my accounts. It really made mad when I was able to settle these accounts on my own. They sat with Freedom all this time and they never made an offer to me to settle them quicker. I was able to settle these accounts for a better rate than Freedom supposedly say they do.

I would never recommend this to anyone. What I recommend is call and work it out with the creditor. It will save you money in the long run and you won't have to deal with the frustration of Freedom's lack of customer service. This company should be investigated for their excessive fees and preying on people who have come to them as a last resort. They owe me money from the withdrawals they took out after I terminated my account and I can already see that this is going to be a hassle.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear about your frustrations and you are correct, you as a consumer can contact your creditor and negotiate settlements, although we have been doing this for a long time, we have a massive amount of data from thousands of creditors, strong relationships and we have leverage that individual clients do not always have. We purposely do not assign individuals to work with individual clients, this is done if an employee is off on vacation or sick our clients always have representatives to speak too, all of which have access to our clients accounts. It was exciting to see that in the short time you were a client of ours we were able to negotiate several very good settlements all with at least 50% savings to you. If you are still concerned about how our program works, please feel free to contact our customer service department.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2014

I have been with Freedom for 3 months. I have 8 creditors who by the way call me every single day 2 or 3 times a day. I was told by Freedom 1 account was settled then things changed and now no accounts are settled. I am giving Freedom 3 more months to negotiate then I will decide what to do.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We understand it can be frustrating getting collection calls, but unfortunately we cannot stop your creditors from calling you. Please if you already have not done so, change your number with them to ours and either do not answer the phone or use the scripting we provided to you in your welcome packet. We will have an Advocate review your accounts and contact you to review in detail. It looks like you just joined our program in June of this year and it is estimated to take about 36 months to complete. If you ever have any questions or concerns please contact Customer Service by phone or email.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

My husband and I are extremely pleased and satisfied with our experiences with FDR! With the help of FDR, we are tackling a problem that seemed impossible and defeating to us. Now we feel a great relief and are looking forward to many more successes with FDR!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

The experience has been excellent. The customer service team has been very responsive and have been kind and understanding. They have been great.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

It is a scary proposition to admit that you need help to regain control of your finances. Everyone who I have dealt with from the company has answered all of my questions thoroughly and never made me feel awkward. I have already recommended Freedom Debt Relief to a few friends.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

I would recommend this program to anyone who wants to get control of his or her debt in a timely fashion. The representatives are very straightforward during the initial process to ensure the program will be beneficial and something that the client is realistically able to do. Also, the representatives are very understanding and helpful which makes the process a lot easier. I really like that I can track my progress and check my credit score as well on the easy to navigate website.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

I was told the process would take about 3 months to settle with all clients. It has been almost 8 months and only 1 has settled. I get conflicting information from customer service every time I talk with someone. I am not allowed to talk with negotiators, even to ask questions. The explanation of how it actually works is way different from how I was told it would work when I signed up.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry for any confusion. We will have an Advocate review your accounts in the program and contact you with a full review of your program.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

I am very happy I am enroll in this program. Very efficient and always available to answer any question.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I just started the program and already feel relieved. Freedom has worked very hard on getting me debt free.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I rated my relationship with the company as a 4. My only reason for not rating FDR a 5 is I wasn't assigned a personal negotiator from day 1. It was frustrating for me to have to tell my story over and over again every time I called and got a different person to deal with. I faxed several documents to the generic fax number and the company didn't receive even though I had a confirmation sheet that said the faxes went through. I feel if I had 1 person to deal with and to send info to, it wouldn't have been frustrating. All the people I spoke with were professional in their dealings with me and took the time with me to explain where my account stood. Would I recommend FDR to family and friends? Absolutely and already have done so. Thank you FDR for assisting me get my life back.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

This is the best thing I have ever done to help me out of my financial problem. They had negotiated with American Express and citi bank for more then 65% off my original bill. If you are tired of just making the minimum payment with no end in sight this is the place you should go to.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I have had nothing but excellent service.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

I was hesitant to go this route working on bringing down my debt and improving my credit score but after much research and great conversations and emails with my adviser, I knew it was the right choice. I am more than happy with the service and communication I have received and would recommend FDR to others.

Just great to help out.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2014

One credit card resolved, 4 to go. The settled account was for 70% of the outstanding balance, which is better than 100%. Look forward to the other cards being settled at an amount less than what was owed when I enrolled in the FDR program.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2014

Freedom Debt Relief will tell you anything you want to hear. The one thing they will never tell you is that the creditor can choose not to work with a 3rd party and take you personally to court even with being enrolled in the program. I was enrolled in the program for 10 months. They were able to quickly settle a debt with Bank of America and told me they were in open negotiations with American Express. I continued to pay into the program and one morning almost a year into it I receive notice American Express has filed a lawsuit against me. I call up to question this in a panic state - I am then told I need to bring my account balance up by depositing over $641 to start the settlement deal with American Express and stop the litigation. I deposited the money only to find out there was no deal. Finally someone I spoke with in advanced collections admitted "Amex doesn't want to work with us. There is nothing we can do." So now I am stuck with 100% of the Amex debt plus an additional 10 months of fees and interest.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry for your frustration, anytime you owe a creditor money, they have the right to pursue legal routes to collect their money, although we do have an Advanced Collections Team that may be able to offer some assistance on this. We will have someone contact you this week to determine the best route for you to take.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2014

I am very happy with FDR. Before I contacted FDR I felt that there was no way out, but now I feel relief to know there's help.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

I had a letter from Freedom Debt Relief to consolidate my credit card debts. I was hesitant at first because I already had an experience with one agency and it didn't work. They put me in more debts. With FDR, I have a total satisfaction and peace of mind because I am no more paying multiple customers. FDR is one of the best agencies I will recommend anybody to in order to pay off their debts.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

I am satisfied that I did not have to go to court, however, instead of decreasing my amount owing, it increased. The promise that the amount will be lowered, "practically cut in half" did not happen. On top of that, now I have to worry about paying your fee of $3000+? So all the sales talk about helping me lessen my burden did not happen. And the negotiator who dealt with the creditors made the negotiations without even letting me know what the offers were. She just took it into her hands to decide what offer to take. I thought we were in partnership when it came to the decisions with my account. ** I have until 2019 to pay off my debt which I could have negotiated on my own. But thanks anyway...

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction, but our program is designed to help get you out of debt for less than you owe and on average our settlements are about 50%. We will review your program and accounts enrolled and someone from our Customer Service department will contact you this week.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

Sent me paper much toooo late. Sent e-mail 3 days ago. Have not yet rec'd a reply!!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear if there have been papers sent to us that we have not received. Someone from our Customer Service department will contact you to confirm your paper work is being handled correctly.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

I am very pleased with the help and service provided by Freedom Debt Relief. Their taking over paying our debts down has been a great relief.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2014

Let's start with the positives. FDR have settled 4 accounts for me and 1 account will be settled hopefully by the end of this month. (The last payment was processed recently according to the cftpay website which I was told by an FDR ACT agent that website was not accurate... Umm, ok.) I think they did a good job settling these 4 (going on 5) accounts in a span of almost 2 years. (I've been in this program since October of 2012.) I have 1 account left in the program that will be done in 13 months. I originally enrolled 8 accounts in this program but I had to remove 3 accounts and settled them on my own because, like what happened to most of us, the creditors were NEVER contacted by FDR - they kept calling me, and I was worried of getting sued again so I went ahead and worked on them on my own. So far, I have closed 2 accounts of the 3 that I removed from the FDR program and 1 account I am currently working on (and they only charge me a $10 fee each month on top of my monthly payment).

I was disappointed after a call today with the advanced collections team agent, when I requested to have my draft amount lowered from $484 beginning 9/18/14, since I only have 1 account left with payment arrangements of $120/month for 24 months that started in October 2013. I went back to the payments that were cleared and I have made 9 payments of $120 and 1 payment of $240 (as of August 2014) since October 2013, which means, to date, I am current with my payments. All I was asking for was to have them review my account if they can lower the draft amount since $484/month is clearly too much to cover a payment of $120/month for the 1 account that's left in the program. This means I will be overpaying for the next 13 months if I get stuck with the $484/month draft.

I initially requested for a lower draft last month and an agent from advanced collection team told me that $180/month should be good (that includes admin fees, etc.). I even electronically signed a document agreeing to this draft amount which I did and submitted it FDR. I found out later on (on my own since I check the client portal regularly) that for some reason, this request was rejected. I was never informed that it WAS rejected.

When I called today to have them review my account, the agent who's obviously very knowledgeable about the program, who was intimidating on the phone and who talked over me numerous times (they can run the tape if they need to), said that they discourage too much changes on the account since it might negatively affect the settlement. I asked her if she could see how I will be overpaying if I stuck with the $484/month draft for the next 13 months to cover the $120/month payment to creditor, for the same amount of time, 13 months. She told me she's not sure... Blah blah blah... Even a kid who knows basic math knows that I will be paying 4x than the due payment to the creditor. I simply requested for them to review my account and lower my draft because I know it's possible but I was told NO. Bottom line, FDR is helpful but I suggest to just go ahead and settle with the creditors. It's faster, cheaper, easier and less stressful.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for you feedback and we are sorry to hear of the concerns you have. Congratulations on the settlements made so far! As far as the $10.00 a month fee, FDR, does not charge fees unless there is a settlement that has been made and approved by our clients. You may be referring to the fee from Cross Roads Technology. We will have someone review your request to lower your monthly draft and contact you with the impact it can have to your program.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2014

After being in the program for 7 months, I thought that more than one of my accounts would be settled by now. Otherwise the customer service is great at keeping me apprised of what is happening.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

So far I have been very happy with the results I have had. Still have more to do and looking forward to the same results.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

I enrolled in your program late in March. It's now almost six months later and only one account has been negotiated. I wrote to Customer Service twice in the last ten days and have only received the canned ack letter. I get at least four calls a day from Citibank - this should have stopped long ago. Also an occasional call from another creditor - namely Laura ** at Synchrony Bank. She even called at work after I was gone for the day! I thought that was illegal. Is there a way to get out of this?

Freedom Debt Relief response

We are sorry to hear about your frustrations. Our clients normally get their first settlements between month 3 and 6, but is depends on many variables. Also as annoying as calls from your creditors can be, we do explain that when you owe a debt your creditors do have the right to collect, which includes creditor calls and even in some cases a creditor can sue you. You can terminate from our program at any time. We will have someone contact you tomorrow.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

Freedom Debt Relief has been a great help to me in getting my debt reduced and helping me to get out of debt. Without the negotiating power of FDR, I would still be behind in my monthly payments.

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information