Get Started

2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

4.5/5 (3737 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Top Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I’m so grateful to the staff of Freedom Debt Relief. It’s been a struggle at times, but it also has been a positive crossroad ... This is the best decision I have ever made for my...

Verified

I have had an excellent experience with FDR. They listened, got me where I needed to be, and stuck with me the entire time. It has been a journey worth taking. They are faster tha...

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) specializes in debt resolution, negotiation and settlement services for those grappling with overwhelming debt. In business since 2002, FDR touts a record of saving its customers a combined $10 billion through debt settlements. It’s a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators and part of the American Fair Credit Council.

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, an unsecured personal loan or outstanding medical bills, FDR will work to help you negotiate a settlement with your creditors for as low as 50 percent of what you owe.

How does Freedom Debt Relief work?

To get started with Freedom Debt Relief, you must have at least $15,000 in unsecured debt unattached to collateral, such as a house or car. If you qualify, you’ll talk with one of FDR’s consultants to find a plan that works for you.

FDR’s program length typically ranges from 24 to 48 months, and you can track your progress through the online dashboard 24/7. The company also offers an online evaluation tool to help you see if you qualify.

FDR will then help you set up a savings account — these are secured by the FDIC, allow you to deposit cash and help with your debt settlement. Your certified debt consultant will then determine when the best time is to attempt to negotiate with your creditors.

If you reach a solution, FDR will ask you to authorize the agreement then charge a fee based on the settlement. It won’t charge until a settlement is reached; however, not all creditors will let you settle.

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?

Freedom Debt Relief’s fees typically range from 15% to 25% of the settled debt. When you apply, a certified debt consultant will receive your case and you’ll get an exact percentage and a monthly cost. Fees vary depending on the state you live in.

Legally, FDR can’t charge any upfront fees, so each charge is initiated after the company settles part of your debt. Users need to authorize a settlement before the company initiates any charges, so this fee should never be a surprise.

Freedom Debt Relief FAQ

How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
    As with all debt relief and settlement programs, working with Freedom Debt Relief will likely negatively affect your credit in the short term. However, a Freedom Debt Relief program can help encourage positive credit habits, which over time could help improve your credit. The company conducted a study and reported that its customers’ credit improved significantly over 24 to 45 months.
    Where is Freedom Debt Relief located?
    Freedom Debt Relief has offices in Phoenix, Arizona, and San Mateo, California, but it serves customers across the country.
    Is Freedom Debt Relief a debt settlement company?
    Yes, Freedom Debt Relief’s program involves negotiating settlements with your creditors.
    How long does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
    According to a study conducted by the company, customers of Freedom Debt Relief saw a significant dip in credit score in the beginning, with median scores of 497 at six months after enrollment, then saw a steady increase, with median scores reaching 604 at 24 months and 648 at 45 months. This study tracked the scores of customers between 2014 and 2018 with a median starting credit score of 650.
    Does Freedom Debt Relief offer loans?
    Freedom Debt Relief does offer debt consolidation loans; however, since debt settlement is its specialty, its certified debt consultants prefer to try debt settlement first.

Is Freedom Debt Relief legit?

Freedom Debt Relief is a reputable company with a proven track record. The company is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators. If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, Freedom Debt Relief may be able to help you.

While all debt relief services will likely cause a negative mark on your credit report, Freedom Debt Relief professionals can assist you in negotiating with creditors in a way you may not be able to do yourself. Although its fees may be high — as much as 25% of what you save on your debt — it still may cost you less than paying the debt in full.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

My husband and I enrolled in Freedom Debt May 2018. We had about 111K in debt from our years of having two mortgage payments. We were hit by the economy crash of 2007, and by divorce, before we met and got married in 2013. Both of us had a lot of debt, from trying to pay two mortgages and paying off our debt from previous relationships. We were overwhelmed.

We ended up contacting Freedom Debt and enrolled in the program. We had a total of 14 debts to resolve and we were up to our eyeballs in stress, only making minimum payments, and never making a dent in our payoff amounts. Freedom debt discussed our options. We started off paying what we could. We started off paying how much we would pay for minimums for all 14 debts. We kept this up and with the help of Freedom, We were able to pay the first debt off immediately.

Freedom were able to negotiate settlements that range from 40% settlement to 80% settlement. When we had a legal case raised against one of our debts, Freedom Debt works in partnership with NLLG, Inc to help with court settlements. We were Extremely grateful for this service to keep us from having to go to court.

Our anticipated graduation timeframe, if we kept payments the same over the years was December 2024. We were able to graduate by August 2021 because we paid extra when we could, we increased our biweekly payments when we could, and we made sure paying off our debt was our main focus.

Here are my take-aways from this program.

1. Step into Payments that you can manage. Do not break your family finances trying to hurry the process. Pay what you can and if you graduate longer, you graduate longer.

2. Take advantage of the NLLG, Inc. Representation. They know how to settle things when the courts step in. ALWAYS follow their directions and the MOMENT you get a certified mail with a court document, open the door, sign for the document and call Freedom Debt IMMEDIATELY. If you do not, it can be difficult for them to assist. The moment you receive something court related, engage Freedom Debt.

3. Watch the videos that Freedom Debt gives. They tell you how to speak to your debtors. Avoiding phone calls does not make things better. Take the call, and follow the script.

4. Get used to the fact that there will be an influx of calls once you stop payments. This has to happen for Freedom Debt to Help. When you communicate using the scripts in the videos and stay to the script, things become much easier and the stress becomes less.

5. Do not skip your payments to Freedom Debt. Skipping payments can run the risk for payment schedules to be missed. Set yourself up for realistic payments. Don't over pay thinking you have this and then when an emergency hits, you are stuck.

6. When in doubt, call and speak with someone at Freedom Debt. They are there for you. You pay your monthly fees to use their service and they will help! We had a ton of debt. We were embarrassed, but once we get over the embarrassment, and we work the process, it is satisfying to be debt free.

WE CANNOT THANK FREEDOM DEBT and NLLG, Inc. ENOUGH for everything they did for us!!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you, Erin, for going into detail and sharing that with us today! It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts. Always feel free to connect with us when support is needed. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief to reach your financial goals.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

This is my second time using the program because I had a problem. I was looking for debt relief at least 10 years ago, I used Freedom Debt Relief and it worked out well so I decided to do it again. The first time I was nervous. I had a million and one questions. I'm like, "Oh, what am I doing?" But then, "What do I have to lose at this point?" So it's almost, "Okay, do I do this?" I know a family member had said they did a debt program, and it hurt them more than it helped them. But I was, "Well, I want to do that program." Because wherever they went, they weren't making payments to the creditors. They weren't making settlements the way they should.

I just did my research. And then I asked a representative a lot of questions about their program, what made them different, why should I trust them. He had no problem answering any of my questions, very open. And the website has truly upgraded from when I first started years ago. You can check your dashboard at any time you want so you can see the progress. It shows you what's in progress, what has already been settled, about how far you have to go. You can see everything, what’s in negotiation, what's going to come up in the future.

I stopped paying the cards. They deal with the creditors, make settlements. And then they base it off what you can afford each month. They give you an estimate and tell you, "Okay, we need you to spend this much a month in your account." If you're consistent with having your money in there, so the money is available, so when they make these settlements, you make them knowing the money is there to make the payment.

I set mine up as I get paid biweekly, so it's for auto debit biweekly. If you add up all of your minimum payments that you pay on these cards, your overall payment in this program is less than what you pay on these minimum payments. So in a sense, you're saving money, because you stop paying your cards, you're not making all these small minimum payments putting zero debts -- unless you pay over minimum, you are not putting a dent in your credit card debt.

Their actual fees are on the back end. They don't take anything from you until they made their settlements. So, the money you put in there every biweekly, monthly, however you want to make your payment goes towards your debt. At the end of the program, you're still doing your payments, but at this point, they have let's say $100 going towards your credit cards, your payment is 110, $10 is going to them. They factor in such a small amount for their fee that you really don't see them.

If you wanted a program for four years, they take your debt, and they average it out, "Okay, we can probably settle it for 40%, 50%," less than what you pay, and they based their calculation from that. And if you want to do it four years, over two years, depends on how long you want your debt enroll the program is how they calculate your payment based off of how long you want the debt. You can be more aggressive and do a two-year program and it seems to be higher.

This is my second time in the four-year program and it works for me because my payments are less than minimum payments. I'm saving money. And then when I have extra money, I go ahead and put it in there so they can make faster settlements. I've done that with two credit cards so far. They were able to settle them faster by increasing the payment amount to get them knocked out. I feel they do care about their clients. It's not a get rich quick thing like, "Oh, I'm just going to take my money from this client." No, it's like, "We're really going to try to get you that settlement."

They do actively and aggressively attack your credit card payments. My experience has been good. They will let you know. Several ways, "Okay, we've got a settlement," they will text you, email you, or call you. And even when you complete the program, you get your full packet. You will get your graduation letter. They have removed charge-off because they make sure they get letters from the creditors saying, "Settled. This was settled. It’s not a charge-off. This was settled." That changes the terminology on your credit report, which doesn't affect your score like a charge-off. They do what they're supposed to do. As long as you continue your payments, you're good to go.

I've learned this time with my credit card debt, it's something I don't want to do again. But they gave me that opportunity to clear it and build my credit back and use it responsibly. It's a burden relief off of you. So it's, "God, I'm not stressed out about -- yeah, I'm making these minimum payments, but I'm really not doing anything.” I've got a massive student loan debt so it's the fact that I was able to go ahead, let them handle this and clear this up, allowed me to focus on that.

I have a family of five. We got three kids and my husband. It's just like the credit card, it's easy to spiral out of control. I'm glad this opportunity was there to get rid of it and then learn from it, and move on without this huge stress. I'm not wasting my money every month. Also, I don't have to deal with the headache of going back and forth with the creditors. That's a headache because they don't want to settle with you or you do the payment right now. It's like, "I can't pay you $2,000 right now up front." So, working through Freedom, they are able to make these settlements and on payment plans, and close the settlements and be done with it.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Wow, Adria! We cannot thank you enough for your amazing feedback regarding your experience in our program! We take pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we're always here for you. We cannot wait for you to officially become debt-free and we look forward to assisting you further. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I was thirty-plus thousand dollars in debt. I had a business and unfortunately, an event occurred and it caused me to go for a downward plunge. By the time I got finished with what all of these credit card companies charged me, I was way well over my head. I was starting a new life and a new job. I didn't wanna claim bankruptcy because I wanted to do it the right way, regardless if it’s wrong, right, indifferent. I started searching for different programs on the internet and I came across Freedom Debt Relief. Once I researched it, I called them and asked them what they could do for me. They answered the questions that I had such as what are the legalities and can they protect me from anyone suing me. I had already lost everything but I wanted to start over fresh. I didn't want my checks garnished.

They kinda gave me an overview of what they could do and how they work. At that point, I was submitting to any kind of alternative option to get my debt taken care of. I gave them the ball and I had to trust them blind faithfully. I've heard other people in my family saying, "I don't know if that's such a great thing. Maybe you should rethink it." But I couldn't. There were too many accounts and I couldn't manage that all on my own. I needed professional help to help me do it if I wasn't gonna bankrupt.

Freedom Debt Relief has been awesome with me and they've helped me get through it. We've gone a long way in a short period of time. They've been a great benefit to me. My credit scores have increased. I don't have anybody antagonizing me to take anything away from me. The legal aspect of it stopped. If I call them, they're very open to answering any of my questions and in a way that I can understand. I appreciate them very much.

There was a small discrepancy from what they told me though. On the program itself, it states that they can get anywhere between 50% and 75% off of whatever it is that you owe. They gave me a projection, how to make that happen and when I would have a graduation date. As we go along the program, I started to realize that the first few of them were nicely done. I had saved over 50%. Then it started to dwindle down to 45% savings. They said we were gonna have to extend my graduation date. It's not gonna be four years, it's gonna be four and a half years. Those types of things get people to where they're standoffish. You start to not wanna trust them. With the way things are working in life right now, anything is fearful. We get fearful for any little discrepancy. They could let the consumer know if we were to go ahead and give another $10 or $15, we could make it in the same amount of time.

What they do after everything's said and done is to take away the extra fees that they put on there which is the interest and the late fees. So, in reality, I'm paying that principal amount which is okay. But it goes to my credit report and it states that I've only paid a portion of it when I have paid the whole principal. Once you pay, they just incorporate that all in that 50% off. I end up paying the whole thing anyways.

Another thing is if they find that that you have another account with Freedom Debt Relief and you agree to add it, that's gonna increase your deposit by so much. You're gonna have to go ahead and extend the amount of time you'll be with the program. If I have to pay for the program, that means that on top of that account being added and me being passed on months or years as we go along, I also have to pay the 9.99 and the 19.99. That's an extra $30 per month times how many months I have to be with the program extended.

But in the end, thank God that I was able to come this far in such a short time and they were able to tackle this big mess that we put us in. It was over 30 accounts and I should be appreciative. I have so much respect for them and I appreciate everything they've done. I would totally suggest them to anyone that goes through the same. I hope nobody goes through what I went through but I'm sure that there are people, especially with this coronavirus, that will walk through the same path I did in a short time, and I will represent Freedom Debt Relief with a good review.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Excellent feedback, Rebecca! It's disheartening to learn what eventually led you to our program. However, we are thrilled to be a part of your journey to financial freedom. It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts. Our top goal is to make sure we support our clients at every step. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief as your guide to financial freedom!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I got their consolidation service to help me pay off the debt that I have. We spoke about the situation I was in and what amount that I owed. They made a plan for me and how they would handle this. They took it step-by-step and how everything would break down, and what the fees would be, and the time frame that I would have to pay all this stuff. Then I had to drop out for a while because both of my parents passed away a couple of years ago, and I had to take over the house payments. I finally came back.

I had a situation before with one of Freedom's partners, where the guy came out too strong and was asking me about how the breakdown would be, and that it was faster to pay it that way. I told him that I didn't want to go that route. I just want to stay with Freedom Debt because I don't have all the money. He then said they were gonna put up the money for me. He kind of laughed about it and said that he never heard nobody turn down this situation where they were gonna go. I didn't like that he was trying to force me to do something I don't want to do. My situation was that everything was going to come up to about $13,000 at the way I was doing it. But the way he wanted to approach it was, if I pay off this loan and then there was all this interest rate, it was going to come up to 20,000. He apologized afterward and told me, "Yeah. You're right. I shouldn't approach it by telling you that.”

I'm comfortable with Freedom right now. The first time I was with them, I was paying $111. They first told me that everything with the breakdown was there, and it was going to come up to 111. Then they wound up telling me that they have to bump up the payment a little bit because of something about the account that they were trying to negotiate. But then the rep changed the subject and said it was something about the lawyers. So from $111, I had to bump it up to $117.

I had another experience not too long ago, where one of my creditors wanted to take me to court. The rep wanted to go from $117 to $240. But that's something I can't afford. I told him that if that was going to be the case, then I would cancel everything and find another organization that can come up and help me with this situation. I had to call another department that handles all the lawyer situation. So he told me, "Well, how does 127.50, another $7 or somewhere around there, $8?" I told him I can go ahead and do that. When I was with Freedom a couple of years ago, I never had this situation. They were handling everything pretty good. I didn't have to deal with lawyers. But overall, they're still doing a good job even though they have those little situations because they're trying to push me to pay off all the debt in a quicker pace.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Gilbert, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please reach out to our client services department at (800) 655-6303 or support@freedomdebtrelief.com if you have any questions or comments regarding your account. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I was looking for a way to be able to still pay the bills. I looked online and found Freedom Debt Relief. They make you stop paying your bills so they can negotiate with them but I was at the point where I couldn't make them all anyways. The payments are based on what your debt load is and how much you can handle. I'm paying as much as I can possibly pay right now. There were two times that I could not make the payments ‘cause something came up. That was a major life issue where I needed the money. Because of that, I called them to say they couldn't take the payment out that month and they were fine.

They're fantastic and this is unheard of in this day and age. I've never had a time where I've called them and the person on the other end of the phone didn't understand what they were doing and how they were doing it. No matter who answers over there, when dealing with my case, and sometimes you feel anxiety and stress dealing with that kind of situation on my end, they've always put me at ease. They've always known the answers to the questions I have. I'm pretty shocked by that because there are multiple questions sometimes and they have all the answers. The whole thing's a pain in the butt when you think about it in a life situation. But at the same time, when I call them, I do feel like I'm getting relief.

They have the service where if you need an attorney, it's 12 or 13 bucks a month extra which is what I'm paying. There have been a couple of times I've received a summon and their national law litigation group gets on it right away. I've never had to go to court since I've been with them because their attorney group has always stepped right up and got it taken care of. They don't call that attorney group as often as you'd like. Sometimes you need to call them for an update. You get close to the court date and you're wondering if you need to go to court. But for what you're getting from a bunch of attorneys at that price, if I need to call them once in a while, even though it's a pain in the butt, I'll do it. It's always been good news when it's close to the time where I'm supposed to go to court.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Randall, amazing feedback! We are thrilled you have taken the first step to allow us to be part of your fiancial journey. We colloborate to address your questions while in the program. Our software allows us to see where you been and where your going while in the program. We are happy to hear your satisfaction with our legal partners and hope to see continue success in your way. Keep up the great work and please reach out to us anytime you have questions about your program! You can contact our Client Services team seven days a week by calling (800) 655-6303 or email support@freedomdebtrelief.com. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

So far you have done a great job. Everything is working great. I hope to be able to send more if I can. The people I have Dealt with have been great and explained everything. It’s a big Weight off my shoulders

Freedom Debt Relief response
      Hello William, we appreciate your feedback! We prioritize our clients needs and we make sure that our clients are supported throughout their program.

We are committed to providing customer satisfaction and you have our full attention 7 days a week. Please reach out to our Customer Service team at (800) 655-6303 or visit your dashboard at www.fdrclient.com for further assistance when needed!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Yes I definitely I would recommend Freedom Debt Relief for getting out of debt. I feel like they are working with my best interest in mind and are very professional in the manner they interact with me. I have told friends about the company and service.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Mary, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review our program, we are very happy to hear that you are pleased with the progress of your program. We are very excited and look forward to assisting you with your goal towards a brighter financial future. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Very pleased with the work that’s being done. I’m very happy I enrolled in this program. I would recommended my family and friends into this program to help with their debt cause it helped me a whole lot.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello Deirdre, thank you for taking the time to review your experience! We are very pleased to hear that our program has been helpful, thank you again for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

They are getting me back on my feet and helping me clear my debt. Very helpful and easy program to use. I would highly recommend anyone to use Freedom Debt Relief to anyone. I would chose them over any other debt solution company out there.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Ruby, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review our program, we are very happy to hear that you are pleased with the progress of your program. We are very excited and look forward to assisting you with your goal towards a brighter financial future. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

Nice to have my debt settled. Thanks! This is a great establishment to handle all your bills to get out of debt. I was drowning into debt and this company help me when I needed it the most. I can finally get back on track with my finances and have extra spending money.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, Machelle. We're so happy to hear how much we have helped alleviate the stress you were experiencing. Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information