4.7/5 (536 ratings)

About TitleMax

TitleMax is one of the largest title lending companies in the nation. TitleMax offers car and motorcycle title loans and pawns at competitive rates. It strives to provide a superior level of customer service as it helps thousands of people get the cash they need with a title loan. The company has thousands of convenient locations.

Pros

• Receive up to $10,000
  • Get funds in as little as 30 minutes
  • No bank account required
  • No credit score requirements

Cons

• Pawns only available in Georgia
  • Loans only available in 16 states

Bottom Line

TitleMax offers title and personal loans with easy applications. Customers receive funds quickly, and the company has loan specialists that help clients find out how much money they can borrow.

TitleMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?

Original review: July 23, 2015

I initially took out a $5000 loan because at that time they said 5 grand was the max they lend. I made my first payment of interest only $524. Well, the manager said "hey we upped outlining to ten thousand and we can loan you $5000 more".. Well that falling upon ears drowning in debt was music.. But I said "it will be hard but I can make it happen" and I was locked into a payment of interest that exceeds $1100 a month in interest. Then the worst thing happened. I was moving and my neighbor son invited me over and we became an item. And one night I slept at his house and he robbed me taking the payment... He beat me up when I tried to get it back. And went to jail for assault.. Being his dad lives by me.. I left my apt early and lost a lot of stuff. I was scared.

Title Max calls asking for current info. I said "my car is my home right now". Told them about my attack... They didn't Care. The same sweet people who threw ten grand at me turned into uncaring, unfeeling jerks who said they meant to collect my car... I said "I can't pay that much now due to circumstances", and she said "well then you violate the contract and there is nothing we can do." So when and if they find me and my car they will take it and not bat an eye for my family... I can just hide I suppose... I need the car to do my business. Can anything be done to call these blood suckers off, or lower my payments. I know it's a contract but don't extenuating circumstances cause contracts to be changed.... I wish he wouldn't have said "we can give you five grand more now".... I could have been ok with the first loan although high dollar.. And even after saying "they don't care and won't help" they continue to call me twice a day.

Original review: July 20, 2015

I took out a loan of $2000 and the sales guy showed me on my contract where it says, "Total of Payments - The amount you will have paid after you have made all payments as scheduled. $2,259.80". He did not however explain that the $259.80 was renewed every month. So basically 1st month minimum payment is $259.80, 2nd minimum payment is $250.80, 3rd minimum payment is $359.80, and 4th minimum payment is $346.81 which totals $1,226.21 in payments. The ONLY amount I have actually paid towards my loan is $187.01. I have paid $1,039.20 in interest rate and fees. WHAT A RIP OFF!!! THIS GOES ON FOR 22 MONTHS!!!! So If my calculations are correct, at the end of 22 months I will have paid $5,715.60 in fees and interest plus the $2,000.00 I was loaned - for a grand total of $7,715.60. I cannot believe this is legal! Is this really the American way? This is disgusting! This company ought to be ashamed.

Original review: July 13, 2015

159% interest rate. Well, I walked in and walked out. So if I would of took out a loan for 2,000$ and pay the 270 a month because it's based on a 2-yr period, that's over 2,000. That is insane. She tell me I could get the max for my car which is 4000 and the more you borrow the less interest you pay. I'm in need of money but I'll wait this ** out. I say to her, "People actually do this," and she says, "Well, we been in business for a long time, so yes." ** is nuts. Well DON'T DEAL WITH THEM.

Original review: July 8, 2015

I've been dealing with TitleMax for years. Their interest rate is high but I went along with them anyway. I'm in a domestic dispute and I can't afford to pay. I explained my situation & I told them I will let them know when I can make a payment. I still get phone calls twice a day (my phone record will prove it) & on 7/8/15, I get a phone call again. Not only from their business phone but from their personal phone as well. She only gave me her first name which is **. Then I called back & explained my situation to **. She transferred me to another person. I explained to him I wanted their last name & I couldn't get it. They would not even give me the address but this is the last known address 341 Cobb Pkwy Marietta, GA 30062.

Resolution response: Aug. 8, 2015

So I wrote a review on this company some weeks ago. It was not a very good review. But I tell you if you call the 1-800 number and tell them your circumstance they will have the district get in touch with you. I finally made my phone call on 8/1 and on 8/3 at roughly 11:30 am or so. The district called me back and reheard my claim and said that he would do some research and I could call him back when I get off work.

I did and well to say the least I am more than happy of the way he cared about me and said, the last thing he wanted was to take my car or see me and my family lose our home and he settled the loan at more than a fair amount and has agreed that I can make payments on this loan - with NO more interest and taking more than half the amount away. I suggest to anyone reading this please call the 1-800 number. Let the district manager call you back and tell him or her your story and if they are anything like the man I spoke too, they will have a heart and help you.

Original review: July 6, 2015

My husband and I fell onto hard times and like almost every middle-class person don't qualify for a loan that won't break us. But anyway we had NO idea what kind of loan we were entering. They don't go over the fine details. HONESTLY they put all the papers in a pile and say "Sign" and are so nice and smile in your face and well here we are taking nearly half our income monthly to pay on loans that are just interest. I actually thought about a hour ago if I give my entire paycheck monthly which is 1000 a month that still won't even pay our 3000 loan off ANYTIME soon.

I just don't know what to do. I am at a loss and wish that I had never, EVER became so desperate. Now here we are in even worse shape than we were in the day we came to them and with the big stack of papers you sign that they don't go over with you. There is nothing you can do. I am thinking that it would be better to crawl in a hole and die than to pay this loan because we are getting nowhere FAST and every month my husband and I who NEVER fight always put blame of this loan on one another and it's not fair to my kids or our marriage. Please for the love of GOD if you are even considering this type of loan RETHINK your options and think -- Is it really worth half of your income EVERY month and it's not even touching your loan payment, just interests? I wish there was something that we could do...ANYTHING. I just don't know how much more we can take.

Original review: June 27, 2015

Ok I took out a car title loan. Was paying on it but wasn't getting anywhere. They never called my phone, never sent anything in the mail stating I was late and the amount due. I called them. They couldn't find my papers. Then all of a sudden they come like a thief in the night and take my car. I am so hurt and heart broken. A single parent of 3 kids and in poverty. This hurts. No communication with this company whatsoever. I wish they would go out of business.

Original review: June 25, 2015

Do not EVER get a title loan with Title Max! They are crooks! They don't tell you when you sign up for the loan that you will only be paying off interest. They wait until after you receive the loan and start making payments to let you know that if you want to pay on the loan, you have to pay more than the minimum payment. Also, when I got my loan, I was not planning on being late. But, everyone knows that unexpected things happen. I ended up with terrible headaches from a condition that causes my body to produce excess cerebrospinal fluid. So, I take the meds for that and end up with kidney stones! I make sure that I stay in contact with Title Max because I want them to know that I am sick and unable to work. But I don't want to lose my truck. I was unable to work or do anything for over a month because the doctors kept me drugged up until my procedure... and even after that, I was in pain and unable to work for another month.

Then, the headaches came back! I made two payments while I was sick (late, but I explained what was going on). The next payment was late and they would not take anything less than minimum. Even though I was only a few dollars short. They repoed my truck less than 30 days after payment was due. They emptied out all of my belongings before making sure if I was going to get it back. And they broke in because they did not have a key. I just got the truck back last night and I am almost afraid to check for damages because I'm sure there are going to be some, knowing that they broke in. I'm just trying to figure out how they got my alarm to go off without a key??? Going to check for damages now... Don't EVER get a title loan with these people. I have done a title loan before with another company and never had to go through this.

Original review: June 24, 2015

Please regardless of your situation don't go to Title Max. It will stick with you forever. I had gotten a loan for 800 and I was unable to make payments because my car broke down and costed 2600 to fix so I completely forgot about Title Max because so much was going on and is going on but them jokers don't care. So I had the car towed away because I wasn't gonna pay for my car to sit everyday. So Title Max calling threatening me and my family. Harassing me. Sending investigators to my mother's house saying that I did fraud and theft by receiving. Which I don't understand.

Life happens and I'm unemployed and my father's been dealing with cancer so it's a lot on my plate. Title Max should be shut down. Life happens and sometimes people can't pay what they want or those high interest rates. Title Max will never get any of my friends or family business. I never should have went to them from jump. Now I have to deal with more stress. I'm practically homeless and taking care of my father. As if I really needed more stress.

Original review: June 23, 2015

I was 16 days late on title loan and told them I'll be in on Thursday. They said ok and picked my car up on father's day. Now I have to pay the whole 1400 back in 2 weeks or lose my truck.

Original review: June 22, 2015

They report me when I told them on Saturday I will be in on Monday and they repo my car on Father's Day - this one location on Buffalo and smoke ranch. The guy ** was a total jerk. I was only 400 behind on my car. He will call 5 times a day every phone that was on my contact. Never sent me a letter out, just brought one to my house for me to call and I did that and told him when I was coming in. I've been having issues with him from day one.

Original review: June 19, 2015

I was in the office in the Plainfield area and was assured that I would be able to get credit by Title Max to my credit. I have found out that it was not accurate. Title Max does not record payments to increase your credit. Which made the 155% credit hike unworthy as it was ridiculous. My car was not appreciated to a good value. Thank goodness since it would be much more difficult to get out of their grasp.

Original review: June 17, 2015

Hey, my name is ** and I had a title pawn with Title Max for 4 years at 380.00 a month. Yes, it's hard to get a loan when you're poor but that doesn't mean you need to be rip off. I have a great news for people who have been with this company for a while and want their title back -- Demand or get a lawyer. I did and they let me out of my title. If they tell you some bs don't believe. I have proof. If anyone is interested and hearing my story please email me at **.

Original review: June 10, 2015

I went to the Virginia Title Max. Just 60 days late on a payment and they repo my car. Will I have to pay the whole thing or just what I owe you? Please help me. The loan was $1,000. I pay the first month on time. This is my only transportation.

Original review: June 7, 2015

I know that for many this is too late but knowing a little about how they work, I wanted to take a couple of minutes to address most of the issues posted here. Let me start by stating that I do not work for Title Max in any way. This is also no way in defense for them. It's to help those looking for answers or considering a loan. Laws governing title loans also varies from state to state so what I'm going by is based in SC. The first thing people are concerned about is the interest rate is extremely high. Sometimes you have no other options and need the money. It's considered a high risk loan due to the amount of people who have no intentions of repaying the loan from the beginning. Many people buy cars for $300-$400, receive a loan for $600-$700 and consider it sold. They made $300-$400 why pay that back. This happens more than you think but is a case where some ruin it for the many.

How the interest works is not explained well at loan but it's because many associates don't fully understand it. Interest is a set annual % rate that you receive interest breaks at higher amounts. So the more money you take, the less your interest. They break down the interest to a per day amount. For example, (these are made up numbers and not a reflection of the company's) if you take $2000 at 150% APR, it would break down to $4.11 per day. You are given a set monthly payment of $150. This allows you to only pay for the loan as long as you have it versus a traditional bank loan that the interest is paid up front.

In our example, on your 1st payment, you would have $123.30 in interest and your loan now equals $2123.30. That means of the $150 set payment, only $26.70 goes towards principal. If you pay 30 days to the day you took out your loan. If you are 10 days late, that means $164.40 is due in interest. If you still only pay $150, you will have $14.40 interest carry over and nothing goes towards your principal. You just extended your 24 month loan to a 25 month loan. Your per day interest is based on your owed amount, not initial loan amount.

The next issue I see a lot of is collections. SC mandates on the 11th day your payment is late, you must be mailed a Right To Cure. This gives you 20 to bring your account current. However, this letter only has to be mailed once in the life of your loan so if you're late again, it could go into collections at any point. However, account history is considered here in when it goes out. Good past payment history/communication will get you more time. For the most part though, Title Max has guidelines employees follow of when to put people out for repo. If they don't do it in a timely manner, this falls back on the manager of the office.

The cars, if picked up, you will be given the option of getting the car back by either paying the full amount owed + repo fee or an amount to get you back on a payment plan. Again, the option is based on your history with them. If you choose to not get your car back, it will be sold. A letter is then mailed stating how much the vehicle sold for. If it sells for more than you owe, you will receive a check for the difference. This only happens in very few cases like if you have a car worth $12000 and you took out a $2000 loan. The amount of times you are called, visited or your references are called is given to employees, Not set by them. You kind of have to look at it like if you were to loan someone that much money.

Another issue is being pushed for the amount you can take. You only need $1500 but are pushed to take $3000. This is a business tact every business uses. It has nothing to do with bonuses. Last, if you need to move your due date due to your pay day, you can renew your loan on the day you need your payment on. Example, you get paid on the 3rd but due on the 20th. You're late every month due to this. Go in on the 3rd and renew. Do this when you're still new into your loan though because it does reset your loan time.

Long comment short, if this is the only option you have, be smart about it. If you are due on the 3rd of the month, pay on the 3rd of the month. Don't be inconsistent. If you can't make your payment on time, call and talk to the employees. Even if they say they can commit you. Call every day and let them know it's the 12th but you still plan to be in on the 20th. People get desperate when they need money but DON'T TAKE MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD. Even if you qualify for more or need more. Otherwise, all you are going to do is set yourself up to struggle everyday.

If you have questions about anything, ask. If they don't know or don't explain it to you where you feel comfortable with the answer, ask someone else. Even if it means stopping by another store. Again, this was not to defend the company and I do not work for them. I feel it is important to stress this since most people commenting here are upset with the company. I just know not everyone is upset and are just looking for answers.

Original review: June 3, 2015

The regular employees at this TitleMax are amazing and helpful. However the general manager is another story. She is rude, arrogant, and one of the worst people I have ever dealt with in my life. She will speak down to you like a "bad dog". I called to speak about my husband's and my account with them. I was speaking with the woman who we signed paperwork with, mid conversation with no warning she took over the phone line and proceeded to yell at me for my questions and not answer any of them. I have since spoken with another TitleMax who has several employees who previously worked for her. They all left. She degrades her employees and clients. Please avoid TitleMax in York County VA.

Original review: May 30, 2015

I have less than perfect credit (628) and after shopping around and being denied by reputable lenders, I had no other option but Title Max. I'm grateful that I was able to receive the funds but the interest rates they charge are outrageous. I don't understand why they are not regulated by the State or Federal government. I initially borrowed $2,000.00 then an additional $600.00. I've already paid back $4,358.00 and still owe over $2,600. When I enquire about how they calculate interest, I basically get an answer that suggests they don't even know. Isn't there any options for the people like myself that had to do business with Title Max to keep them from charging outrageous interest rates?

Original review: May 29, 2015

Never again will we get a loan through Title Max! Our payment was due yesterday and we were told that they would work with us on the payment since it was our first. Well a few hours later, after their representative showed up on our door telling us to contact them (we did tell them we would be in first thing tomorrow), a recovery service came and picked our car up. The recovery guys told us that they are always jerks at Title Max. Needless to say, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME GETTING A LOAN FROM THEM BECAUSE YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH GUARANTEED TO LOSE YOUR CAR.

Original review: May 28, 2015

They told my husband that he could come in with the repayment money and that they will honor the repayment contract. When he got theree ** the store manager said it was a miscommunication and told my husband he had to pay the interest. If not they were going repo the car. He lied - that's all they do... I want to enter in the repayment like we were told.

Original review: May 25, 2015

They wrongly took my truck. Been fighting with them for over a month still haven't got nowhere. They have tried to sell it twice looks like a big court mess to fix it. I strongly suggest everyone go elsewhere for their loan needs. Their contract says they have to send you certified mail before they can repo anything but they don't follow their own contract. You get no paperwork. They come in and out like a thief in the night. I would give them 0 stars if it would allow it.

Original review: May 21, 2015

My husband and I were having money troubles and one month we fell behind on the payment they called one of our references and told them that we owe money and that they were going to repo our car. It is against the law to do that.

Original review: May 21, 2015

The min. payment you make doesn't take anything off of what you owe and this was not explained to me. I have to pay $69 as the min. $69 dollars just to keep the game going. Highway robbery at its finest. I make $200 a week. That’s not enough to keep my head above water. I can't afford $69 if it doesn't count for anything. Title max withheld information and that should be illegal. What was their response? "Oh, I'm sorry. That's our policy." Thieves.

Original review: May 19, 2015

A few years ago I did an online title loan. A man called me from Title Max, said I was approved for $2000 on my blazer. He said since I was approved, I also get a free gas card for $50.00. When I got there, she had my application ready but had no idea about the free gas card. She said she would look into it so each month I made my payment, I asked about it. I kept getting different answers. Til this day I never got a gas card or an answer, so anyone looking to get a title loan, don't go to Title Max!

Original review: May 18, 2015

Had emergency doctor bills. Could not pay full payment. First time late. They accepted first 100.00 dollars. Refused 2nd payment...I was 40.00 short. These people have been very rude. The interest rates are awful. We may lose the only transportation we have. We have no family left. They told us to go to them. They have all died. Title Max is out to get the poor people. Please check into Title Max. They are robbing people. They harass us not only on the business phone but on our cellphones and mo. cellphones.

Original review: May 13, 2015

Title Max said they did do nothing to my truck. My tools is missed and my truck is damage. Title Max don't want to fix my truck and replace my tools. I have contact headquarter - the problem have been take care of.

Original review: May 9, 2015

Don't know where to start. I had my boyfriend put my car in his name. To make a long story short he took a title loan out on my car without my consent or knowledge. He did give them my phone number had they called to verify they would have known the car was not his nor did he have permission to do take the loan out. The only call I got was them saying the loan was delinquent. I explained my situation to them and they did not care. They still took my car.

I am a single mom. I begged them to sue him for the money which come to find out they sold my car for a measly $800.00 - it was worth $5,000. I am very angry. Not only did I lose my car but the loan he got did not go towards my baby or I. It's not right. It's not fair. Now I have to figure out exactly how to get my child and I around to appointments look for a job etc. (I even offered to work for them just to keep what little I had.) From what I understand and have seen if you take a title loan out expect to lose your car. The interest, principal, and many other fees make it impossible. Do not go through them. And do not ever trust anyone no matter how close you think they are to you - do not put your title in their name. It would be best if you lost your car under your own circumstances.

Original review: May 9, 2015

Do not put yourself through this! In a desperate time I made the mistake of taking a loan against my car. Initially it was a 60 day term, and I was making progress paying it down. This company changed the terms to 30 days. It is impossible to reduce the principal paying the minimum payment. They are like leg breaking loan sharks! I called on the day my payment was due to tell them I needed to come in the next day. One hour later they called all of my references. I have a friend who was 2 days late (and had called them stating they would be in the next day) and they came to her house and left a threatening notice on her front door! Disgusting! Should be laws against this type of lending practice!

Original review: May 1, 2015

I had a loan with a TitleMax that was 30 miles from my home. Never missed a payment. In the middle of the loan they changed the interest rate and my payment doubled. Ok. I paid and never missed. They said why don't you transfer to the TitleMax closer to your house. I said ok. I went in. Did the transfer and my payment doubled because they do their loans differently. What??? I just transferred and now the payment increased on the same amount and is three times as much. “There is an F loan,” they said and their loan is different. Fraud.

Original review: April 23, 2015

In August or September 2014 we voluntarily gave our vehicle to Title Max. We were planning on getting a different vehicle. We were told no matter how much they get for the vehicle they will not come back and need more money. We were even sent a letter with the manager's signature, that they got so much for the vehicle and we owed nothing! Well around March my husband got a phone call saying we owe so much money due to the left over balance from the vehicle we handed over. When we finally got the money to pay it off, even after we felt like we didn't owe anything because of what we were told back when we gave them the vehicle. They ended up putting a lean on a vehicle we had a loan with them in the past. That title was in both our names along with our current address.

After we paid back our extra money we received the title back with only my husband's name and a totally different address that we never lived at! Yet, this loan had both of our names. This company needs to be shut down and would not recommend them for nothing!

Original review: April 17, 2015

I was employed by this "company" for about 15 months. My boss came to me in early December and said that she was told that we had too many people in our office and she was told to get rid of someone. She also told me that I was doing a great job but to watch my back. Fast forward to February, I was wrote up by an Upper management individual that didn't work around me at all. He actually wrote me up for being wrote up! One of the silliest things I have ever seen. 2 weeks later this "upper managements" puppet was sent to let me go for "poor performance". Corporate downsizing is what it's called, but they were too spineless to say that. PATHETIC COMPANY PERIOD.

Original review: April 17, 2015

Just making a minimum payment is paying the interest and fees only. It's a loan shark company making millions a month on fees. It's a revolving door, they keep you in debt. Don't fall for these scams. The company operates overseas.

TitleMax Company Information