Get Pricing

4.7/5 (121 ratings)

About TitleMax

TitleMax is one of the largest title lending companies in the nation. TitleMax offers car and motorcycle title loans and pawns at competitive rates. It strives to provide a superior level of customer service as it helps thousands of people get the cash they need with a title loan. The company has thousands of convenient locations.

Pros

• Receive up to $10,000
  • Get funds in as little as 30 minutes
  • No bank account required
  • No credit score requirements

Cons

• Pawns only available in Georgia
  • Loans only available in 16 states

Bottom Line

TitleMax offers title and personal loans with easy applications. Customers receive funds quickly, and the company has loan specialists that help clients find out how much money they can borrow.

TitleMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2013

I admit I have not been timely on the payments (I got released from my job of 12 years right after taking the loan but still get SSI every month). I am and have made all attempts to make this a successful business transaction. I misunderstood payment dates as well as a few other things. I get called every day, harassed to the point my doctor put me on meds. I am a single mom of a disabled (blind) 4-year-old and need my old car. It is a 1990 Toyota. I will be making payment any day now, I thought today, but did not know my SSI needed a review today. So tomorrow I will do a review and make payment as well as have an insurance pay out coming in the next few days to pay this loan in full.

I was not surprised I was not believed but, at the same time, Customer Service could give me a full 30 days delinquent before harassment terms were invoked. They are demeaning and trusting and surprise me. I do not and cannot lose my car. I have a special needs child who needs medical help continuously. I can't even talk to them any more. I need a mediator to successfully conclude this deal and was told off, hung up on by instant chat now, a person named "Julie" and no help in commencing a successful business deal.

Why are you all in business if you do not understand bad things happen to good people? If I get through this, I will never take out a loan from such a place and I will wait on my divorce and bankruptcy to go through and do business the old-fashioned way with a bank.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2012

I was assaulted by a repo company Title Max (Greenville, SC on Laurens Rd) hired to repo a vehicle that belonged to an acquaintance of mine. I explained to the repo guy I needed to get my purse and phone out, and he physically pushed me away from the vehicle. I attempted again, explaining I needed my purse and phone. He grabbed me and pushed me once again. First, it wasn't my vehicle and I'm a 54-year-old small-framed woman. There was absolutely no reason for this man to put his hands on me. I hold Title Max as responsible as the repo company, as the repo company was working as an agent.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2012

I think the states where they do business and make loans in should put a cap on the interest rate they can charge. These loans are 12 to 24 months long and the rate they charge is really no better than a legal loan shark. I have paid 12 months on a 24-month title loan and I still owe the principal amount of the loan.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2012

I took out a loan on 7/25/12 for 30 days. I called the general manager of TitleMax in Dallas, TX on 8/21/12 to advise that I would be in to pay in full on 8/24/12. I went into the store on 8/24/12, which was the 30th day of the loan, and was told that they had submitted my title to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles on 8/23/12. Although their loan has been paid in full (on time), I still have no title to my car. **?!

Original review: July 9, 2012

I fell behind due to a tragic family accident that claimed the life of someone very near and dear to me and lost my father all within 3 months. While all of this happened, I also had my appendix taken out. So, needless to say, I missed a lot of work. I was bullied into taking the full $5,000. I was making payments on time until all this happened. I tried to make them as much and as fast as I could.

Well, a week before I told them I was paying it all off, they repossessed my truck. When I got it back, It looked like someone had a field day taking what they wanted and now, of course, they say, "we don't know," where my items are. They wouldn't give me the district manager's name and were very rude. It took them almost a whole week to answer. Some business! They just take what they want because they know they can. I was told it wasn't their problem to take out a police report. What a joke these people are - affordable, yeah, right.

Take it from me. Never take out a loan with them. They should be banned. JI called the very next day and told the manager that my birthday money was above the driver's side visor. That was gone, but my card was still there. He said he was offended that I would implicate him. But he couldn't tell me where it was. Beware.

Original review: June 29, 2012

Title Max repossessed my vehicle 7 days ago. It said it's Missouri law that I receive a right to cure notice within 48 hours. I have received nothing. What are my options here if they fail to notify me and time has passed for me to get my vehicle back?

Original review: June 27, 2012

TitleMax repossessed my car for one payment and then said they sold my car for $600, and that I owed $612. But I came to find out, they contracted the car out to a dealer to be sold then charge me $612, on top of what the car sold for. This is fraud upon them. Then, there was stuff still in my car and the tow people, which was Nationwide Recovery (Dan Phellips) owner and operator or the ones at the tow lot, stole the stuff out of it and said they didn’t. The Kansas City, Mo police was standing there when I confronted them and did nothing or didn’t even ask any questions. I have the box model and serial number of which the GPS came in. The title to a trailer in which the next day I had to LIC and reg. to a boat and the trailer was all in there, along with a brand new set of jumper cables, all gone. When talking to TitleMax, their response was, "Oh well, don’t know what to tell you, contact your insurance company."

Original review: June 12, 2012

Loan payments - My monthly payment’s minimum payment does not come off my balance. I was told it stays the same but there is no answer where the minimum payment goes.

Original review: April 17, 2012

They call to harass us all the time, then accepted our payment. Then in the middle of the night, took the truck after talking to my husband for over 20 minutes letting them know payment will be on the 3rd of the month because I am on disability and have only one check a month. They said good, then took the truck anyway. So why should anyone ever want to get them to help you? This company is a ripoff, you accepted our payment then took our truck. Why take payment then take the vehicle? This is just wrong and illegal here.

Original review: March 27, 2012

I decided I was going to make my payment like I should but went past March 3, 2012 and got a phone call from Title Max on Mauldin road here in Greenville. I got a right to cure by March 5, 2012. They gave me until the 25th to pay but they are calling every week wanting money. If they look at the paper of legal things they are not supposed to do, they do them all. They call all your references and come to your house and have general managers call you. I'm going to give their district manager a call because I'm not 30 days late. But they harass people to death.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2012

I borrowed $1,400.00. Out of this loan, the secretary of the state gets $175.00. I'm disabled, and on a fixed income. Once I received the loan, I received a letter from Title Max. I explained that there is a mistake in the interest rate, which is 355% or more. The next day, I submitted $800.00 to the $1,400.00 loan. I got this loan in 2008. I have been making payments in 2011, and still have thousand dollar balance. So far, I have paid $6,600.00 in total. This is madness! Help! My car is a 1999 Chrysler, appraised at $1,700.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2012

I had a title loan in Greenville, SC on White Horse Road. It was a very bad time with them. I got $5.000.00 loan and I paid right at $10.000.00 to them in one year but they still gave me a hard time. My father-in-law loaned me the money and I got my tile back.

Do not go to TitleMax. It should be put out of business for good. The way I see it, they owe me $5.000.00.

Original review: June 29, 2011

They could not get me on the phone, so they called my mother. She is very sick (has MS), and told her I needed to get my stuff out of my car, or they were going to report it. We just had a death in our family, and that was the reason they could not contact me. I think that what they did was very wrong. It is I who had an account with them, and they had no right to upset my sick mother. My sick mother was upset by the issue while we was also dealing with the sudden death of a family member and dear friend.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2010

Do not deal with Title-Max. They make more than drug dealers.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2010

I am 10 days behind on my payment. I got laid off and I am waiting on a settlement. I called and told them this. Also, my sister is dying from cancer so I am in NC. They are constantly harassing me and my husband 4-5 times a day. It is like they don't hear me. I don't care paying the interest if they can only wait till I get my money and quit harassing me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2010

i went to try to pay them $150.00, and he refused my money. Tom told me to go borrow the money from somebody. The loan is not in my name; it's in my husband's name.

They called me everyday 3 to 4 times a day. My husband is a truck driver, and he has been out of town since December 2009. I told Tom that I just stared my job and I would pay him what I could, because I have 5 kids to take care of and I only work 26 hours a week. I have not been late until December's payment. they charge me $8.41 a day everyday I'm late. My payments is $290.00 a month; it's up to $588.00 now.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2008

TitleMax was given the title to my Van in a title loan transaction. I subsequently filed Bankruptcy, and through the Bankruptcy Court this loan was paid in full. The loan was paid off on 7/6/06, I have not been able to get my title back from TitleMax. I have made 4 phone calls since May of 2008, each promising to return my title and provide a lien release. The only thing I have received from them is the lien release, dated 6/16/08.

I now live in Virginia and the Virginia DMV needs the title as well as the lien release. Rashida, whom I've always spoken with said that the titles are sent to corporate, and i was told "who knows where they go from there." I feel it is there responsibility to return my title so that my van can be titled in Virginia where I now reside.

All I want is the title that they took or for them to get me a duplicate title so that I can get my Virginia title. I can provide copies of the Bankruptcy papers where the debt is shown paid, and the lien release. I have gotten virtually no cooperation from TitleMax. There slogan is "Get your title back with TitleMax." If they advertise it, they should do it. I feel they are responsible and I should not have to spend my money to get the title back. I feel they should have to provide me with my original title or at there expense get a duplicate title to me ASAP. Seeing as I now live in Virgina and have no way of getting a South Carolina title.

If TitleMax does not provide the title, I will have to work with the South Carolina DMV from Virgina to resolve this, which will become very costly to me. I feel that this is there issue to resolve at there expense not mine. I should not have to spend my time and money on any of this. I've already lost money in cell phone minutes trying to deal with these people. This has also been an extremely difficult time because I have an anxiety disorder and has caused me to have several panic attacks which take time away from my 3 children and husband. My anxiety on this matter has become extremely high and will only get worse if something is not done on this matter.

TitleMax Company Information