4.7/5 (348 ratings)

About TitleMax

TitleMax is one of the largest title lending companies in the nation. TitleMax offers car and motorcycle title loans and pawns at competitive rates. It strives to provide a superior level of customer service as it helps thousands of people get the cash they need with a title loan. The company has thousands of convenient locations.

Pros

• Receive up to $10,000
  • Get funds in as little as 30 minutes
  • No bank account required
  • No credit score requirements

Cons

• Pawns only available in Georgia
  • Loans only available in 16 states

Bottom Line

TitleMax offers title and personal loans with easy applications. Customers receive funds quickly, and the company has loan specialists that help clients find out how much money they can borrow.

TitleMax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TitleMax?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

I obtained a car title loan from TitleMax and the process was pretty quick. It only took 25 minutes tops to do it and the rep told me it will be an hour. The lending processor was also informative. Everything was great with my experience with them.

TitleMax response

Thanks for being a valued customer Courtney - we appreciate the awesome review!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

My last loan was for some bill consolidation - I'm buying a home and we needed new appliances. The lending processor was outstanding, very friendly, polite, and knowledgeable. Plus, the staff was great, very inviting, friendly, and understanding. The overall process was both convenient and quick.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

I went through TitleMax one time before and the customer service was great. It's better this time because there was less paperwork and everything was done by computer. The process took about 30 minutes at the most. The lending processor and I talked about everything that’s required in starting the process from start to finish and she was willing to answer whatever questions I had. Working with TitleMax is great knowing that one can always go there when in need and they give enough for the value of the vehicle. It's an excellent experience.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

TitleMax looked well-established and I ended up getting a car loan from them. The process was easy and it didn’t take very long. I did a pre-registration online that I had already been a customer from a different time. They were able to pull out my profile and update my address. After the inspection of the car, I asked for a smaller amount than what the car was worth which was easier to obtain. Everything went really smoothly and in the end, they were able to give the amount I wanted. It was really an easy experience and it didn’t take more than half an hour. Their reps were also very nice, courteous and very attentive. They were very good.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

I had a lien on my car and TitleMax has helped us with our bills and stuff that we needed to get paid. The process was easy and it didn't take very long at all. Britney from TitleMax was awesome, polite and very personable. She's someone the company would keep.

TitleMax response

Thanks for the great feedback Heidi! So glad your experience was a positive one. We appreciate your business.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

I’ve had a title loan with TitleMax before and the officer in that location was real, real rude. So in this last visit, I ended up going to another location and now all my experience was really, really good. The lending process was completed in 30 minutes. TitleMax helped me out and I've used the money to pay a few bills.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I got a title auto loan service from TitleMax. They offered me more on my car than the amount I was requesting and that helped me out with some bills that I needed to take care of and a business that I was going to get into. Their process was great. Their rep was very generous and he talked to me as if I was part of the family. When I went there, they knew right away I was coming in and they helped me out. Even though their computers were down, the lady there even offered us breakfast which was nice. I went there at 9:00 am but since the computer was down, I did some shopping and I went back at 1:00 pm, and the process was a quick 10 minutes. They were excellent and they explained everything really well.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I'm thankful that TitleMax was there when I needed them. I had already done business with them before and this time I got a title loan on my SUV. The lending process took an hour or so but could have been quicker because the first time I got a loan with them, I was in and out, just signed my paperwork, no problem. I understand things change. But on this last time, when I went in, they were telling me that I had to pay the fee for the title change. I had to go to the courthouse to file whatever paperwork there was, then come back and notify them that it was done, and then they would give me the check on the loan on my truck.

That alone pissed me off and I thought about going somewhere else. I'm in business and time is money, and these are people who are taking off on their lunch break. We ran into a medical issue we needed to address right then so time was of the essence. I needed to get in, get it and be back at work so that I could send my husband to go make sure our child was alright. I don't mind paying the fees for the title change and all that but I felt like what they told me was not right.

So I pitched a fit and explained to them why I felt like there was malarkey. I asked the district manager there, "Why do I have to do your school work for you? I'm already getting a loan on my vehicle that I already gotta pay you back with interest, which is cool. That's the whole purpose. But I'm not loaning with you so I can go do your job for you. I have my own job to do." The district manager went to the courthouse and dealt with all of that himself and came back and then, they released the check to me, but we had to wait for him to go take care of that and come back.

But the TitleMax reps were very nice and respectful. The lending processor who helped me might have been new. She was okay but I didn't like the fact that folks were standing over her shoulder. For a customer, they're going to feel like, "Well, why are they all in my business? What's really going on?" That makes them uncomfortable and that alone will turn people away. But overall, she did her job. I feel there are things that could be changed but overall, TitleMax was a great help.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I've been dealing with TitleMax for about four years now. The lending process is always fine. Plus, the customer service is good. TitleMax has been good to me and it's been easy to get along with them.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

TitleMax was close to some place I go, so I got a personal loan from them using my car title. It was not something I really wanted to do at all, but it worked out fine. It has been good and anybody could do it. The process was very easy and it went quickly and smoothly. Their people knew what they were doing.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

I went through Titlemax some years ago and I just went back to them. My recent experience wasn't that good, though. I defaulted on the first title loan that I had open with them a couple of years ago. Now, I bought a new Mercedes '02 and tried to do a title loan. They barely wanted to give me anything for it. I'm not going to go through them anymore after I pay off this title loan. The other time I went with them, the lending process was convenient, but this time, it took a lot longer than usual. We have to wait for the head office to send something back. They said my name was spelled incorrectly when it wasn't. It took roughly an hour to do the whole title loan. The overall outcome was unsatisfying.

I only got a small loan. The lending processor told me that if I miss one day on the payment, the whole thing will be voided out. The account will go into lien status and they'll start looking for my car. It's ridiculous for such a small loan to be like that. I'm also not comfortable with the interest rate on it. I only did it because I was in a state of emergency and I really was crunched for time. I didn't have any other choice at the time. In addition, I'm trying to keep track of this first 30 days, and it's stressful trying to keep track of it. I move around a lot. I'm not in the area that I had gotten the title loan every day. It's an inconvenience to me.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

My friend who'd gotten a title loan from TitleMax told me about them. Overall, the car title loan process was easy and convenient. The lending process took 30 or 40 minutes. The loan helped out a lot because my husband had lost his job, I was the only one working and $150 a week wasn't gonna pay our rent, light bill, water bill and car insurance. The only thing I didn't like was I expected more than what I got and by the time we paid everything, we didn't have anything else left. But a week later, the general manager called and said that we were able to go back in if we needed more money, which was very nice to know. I would recommend TitleMax very highly.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

Got a loan with my car title. The interest was off the charts. Paid on it for 4 months and lost my job because the job site closed down. TitleMax began calling me multiple times a day every day except Sunday, even though I told them to stop calling me. TitleMax sent a wrecker and took the vehicle with all my personal items. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get one of these loans. Borrow from a friend.

TitleMax response

Thanks for your feedback Jerry. We train our employees to spell out the risks associated with title loans/pawns. Due to the nature of a collateral based loan, we typically have to reposes cars when we do not receive payment/can't communicate with the customer. We really hate to do this because it is a lose/lose for both parties. If you wish to file a formal complaint, I urge your to contact our customer support hotline at 800-804-5368. Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

The initial signing up for my loan with TitleMax was a very good experience. I had already looked up on the internet exactly what I needed to get a loan so I made sure I came prepared with my I.D and title. They had a very courteous rep. She's very knowledgeable about what she's doing. I appreciate the fact that they trusted me with a loan even if I just finished with the discharge and bankruptcy. The overall customer service was great.

They gave me the funds via check and I have to go and cash it. The convenience of it is their base was not far from me. I was able to drive six to ten minutes away to go cash a check which I felt wasn't an extra charge for me. If I had to pay another fee to cash it, then the loan wouldn't have been worth it. But I was disappointed that when I initially got the $400 loan I need from TitleMax, I have to immediately give up a $100 to pay for my car title to be sent back to me. It's not beneficial that as soon as I get the loan, I have to give a large portion of it up before I can even use it.

It's unfair that we're coming to them for a loan and yet the company would make the customer pay for the title to be settled. Then also, I have paid my loan back within a week yet still have to wait for my title to be delivered so I can get it back. Now that I know the process and how they do things, I would have to be in a dire straits to go to TitleMax again. It was a good lesson.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I love TitleMax. They made it easy when I spoke to the representative on the phone. Then I went into my local office and the people were really friendly and awesome so I went with them. The lending process took no longer than 40 minutes. I know for a fact that if I need anything and they can do it for me, they're gonna try to get it done. That makes me feel a little bit easier about unexpected deals or car repairs, and there's a possibility I can go and get what I need to take care of or have to get done.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

I obtained a car title loan from TitleMax. Their lending process was straightforward and easy. Their rep was very helpful, nice and really good. With TitleMax, I was able to get back a vehicle that got taken from me. It was a great experience.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

I got a title loan from TitleMax. It's reasonable and the interest rate doesn't go up as long as I'm not late on my payment. The process was fast and easy and the reps were knowledgeable and helpful. I would recommend TitleMax.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

The overall process with the TitleMax rep was convenient. They were a little bit busy, but it went really well and she was really nice. Then halfway through, somebody else took over because she was covering a couple of different people that were in the store, but they were both really good. However, the interest rates were astronomical. I've been on there before and I was in a situation where I had to do that, so I expected it to be high but not that high. It's one of those situations where I would have to be really desperate which I was at the time.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

I was happy with what I've got from TitleMax. I had a fine experience with them. The lending processor made sure I understood everything and that it was easy and clear. Some places I went to have an attitude, but those in TitleMax were very nice people so I will recommend them to a friend if anyone is looking to get a title loan.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

The overall lending process with TitleMax was easy but the day that I went to their office, they had a companywide problem where their computers were down so the process took about an hour and a half. Everything went smooth after that and the representative I dealt with was friendly. His name was Sergio and he was very helpful and patient through his dilemma with the internet. He did well.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

The car loan I did with TitleMax is not the normal title loan, but the one where I just make monthly payments. They offered courteous service and the lady who helped me knew what she was doing. They did a tremendous job and they helped me out greatly. I loved it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I got a car title loan from TitleMax. The lending process was easy and convenient, but time-consuming. The branch manager was nice but the lady who helped me out was not very personable. She was there but there was no interaction. I didn't know what was going on or anything like that until the end. I sat there and watched my phone and was on Facebook until they had something to say to me. Other than that, TitleMax was able to help me out.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I went to TitleMax and the rep explained the process to me. After that, he asked for my I.D. and took a copy of that. He also looked at the car and took pictures of it. Then he started submitting the information, asked me for contacts and references. They sent the information back and he told me how much it was going to be, explained the payment process and then we signed the paper. I didn't get the full amount that I needed, but TitleMax helped me out for that moment. Overall, I liked my experience with them. It was an easy process and the rep was not rude. A lot of places I go to, the people are rude like they don't want to do their job but he was enthusiastic about it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I got caught up on some stuff and working with TitleMax helped me out when I got a car title loan from them. It was a very good experience overall. The lending process was simple and easy and was completed in about 30 minutes. I had very good dealings with my lending processor.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

I liked the way TitleMax told me how the interest worked and how much I needed so I could pay it on my own in three to six months. Their lending process was convenient and only took 30 minutes for it to be completed.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

It's impossible mission to get back your car. Mother with 3 kids. It's my car that cost me every month $359 for $1780 borrowed. To pay off now it's $3359. Every month I make a payment since August $359 and still. It's only car I have. Why TitleMax rip off people like this and don't accept reasonable payment??? Why the original amount borrows doubled??? No mercy from TitleMax.

TitleMax response

Thanks for your feedback Alexandra. We train our employees to spell out all the fees associated with getting a collateral title loan/pawn. If you feel you were not given the appropriate information upfront, I strongly urge you to contact our customer support hotline at 800-804-5368.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

Different lenders didn't want to give me a loan so I went with TitleMax. The overall lending process was completed in about 20 minutes. The lending processor, although quiet, was informative and explained everything very well.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

The guy I dealt with from TitleMax over in Dothan, Alabama was a real nice guy. The only thing I don't understand is they tell me that my wife can't come and make the payment for me. I work for the railroad company and I'm out of town for a couple of weeks at a time. We're running into this issue right now of how I'm gonna get in the payment when I'll be in Phoenix, Arizona at the time the payment is due. But overall it was a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

THEY ARE THE WORST!!! They will lie to you, contact you from their employee's personal cell, and lie and say it's the company phone. I contact the so-called Corporate office and explain what was going on. The gentleman there had no knowledge of employees having company's phones, well I told him one of their employees has contacted me from their cell phone and were they allowed to do that? The gentleman stated that he had NO KNOWLEDGE of the employees having cell phones there. So I waited to speak with district manager for VA. He didn't call me back until a week later. To make a long story short their general manager William was contacting me from his personal phone which no company is allowed to do. So at the end of the day they are being sued by the FTC.

TitleMax response

Jannelle, I am so sorry our employee contacted you via a personal cell phone and not a secure landline. I can assure you this is not normal protocol and I will do my best to make sure this doesn't happen again. If you would like to file a formal complaint please call: 800-804-5368. That way your issue can be logged and reported to the respective Regional and District Director of Operations. Thank you, and we appreciate your business! Oh, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

I was looking for different lenders on the internet and TitleMax was the first to pop up. Their lending process was simple and fast. We did it in about 15 minutes. I was in a bad spot and TitleMax helped me a lot.

TitleMax Company Information