1.39/5
Based on 72 reviews that contain star ratings

Pleasanton, CA

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

88 Diversified Collection Services, Inc. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 7, 2013

I switched carriers in July. This is now Oct. I paid T-Mobile the past due balance and the monthly balance of my account. All I owed them was $600 left. So this morning, I got a call from Chris at this company (Diversified Collection Services, Inc.) in Charlotte 800-771-5361 at 8:06 am. The call was less than 4 minutes long. When I told him I could not make payment weekly or bi-weekly, he got rude. Then he said I could do monthly so I told him that was fine but I couldn't start till November. I know I owe the money, but he said, "Well, it is clear that you don't want to settle this amount," and got rude, then hung up. I called T-Mobile. Of course, the account is sold to this company and they could not help me. I have been a customer of T-Mobile for years and to be treated this way over a $200 per line fee of connect after being a customer for over 10 years. WOW.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

I am a former employee of DCS/Performant Recovery. Let me start with this. There are some bad people that work there. Yes, but in all fairness, they are doing their job. If you took out the loan then you have to pay it back, period. That company has no right to take money out of your account without your permission. That is against the law. The only ones that can take your pay is the government. So if you have a student loan that is a staffered then that's why your income tax is gone. That is no one's fault but your own. As far as calling your references, you listed them. You gave permission to contact them and as far them calling your neighbors, that is not against the law. Now what is against the law is if they say why they are calling and give out personal information without your consent.

They don't leave messages on voicemail due to privacy act so asking your boss to talk to them for you will get you nowhere. Now let me tell you what you can do. If you take control of the call then that leaves the collector without a way to talk or butt in. Don't ask for a supervisor because that is just the person that sits next to them. Half the time, most collectors are nice and will work with you. Just remember they won't get paid extra for clearing the account so really you're in control, you just don't know it. There are laws that protect you but again be smart about it. Cussing and yelling only makes you the fool, not them.

If you have an attorney then give out the information, the calls will stop and they have to call the attorney and not you. There is a 10-day no call that will be put on the account. That is enough time to get your affairs in order to deal with collectors. The real reason for this is to help people to deal with bad collectors. You can call the police but some will just say if you owe the money then pay it. You signed a legal doc to have phone calls and call ref so again it's up to you how you handle it. Good luck.

Original review: May 26, 2013

I am posting this on behalf of my elderly mother, June **. The New York City Environmental Control Board is charging my mother over a thousand dollars in violations for tickets she never received because unknown pedestrians left "paper cups" and "napkins" on the street in front of her house. She was away in Washington, DC, undergoing double hip implant surgery during the six-month period in question. The judge's ruling got Diversified Collection involved as the collecting agency. I think the letter to the Judge I am typing on my mother's behalf tells the story best:

Attached please find receipts for violation numbers **, **, **, ** and **. The preceding fines were paid in October and November of 2012 to Performant Recovery, Inc., North Canyon Parkway, Suite 100, Livermore, California 94551 (Formally Diversified Collection Services, Inc., - D.C.I. Inc. P.O. Box 9057, Pleasanton, California, 94566-9057). Collector's name is **, phone number 1 (800) 866-5317. They repeatedly claimed to have never received any money from me. That is not so, as you can see from the accompanying receipts. I went to E.C.B. in November of 2012, as they had not received any money from Performant. They said I could pay the $300 for each infraction. E.C.B. looked up my violations and noted that several had been paid already and at least one was duplicated from the Performant listing.

I wrote to Performant and asked them to forward my payments to E.C.B. (see enclosed letter) and send me the receipts. I have been waiting now for seven months. Performant then assigned me a new account number, further clouding and burying the original item identifiers. I subsequently paid for a trace to be put on the money orders (see accompanying receipts) by the issuing company, which identified the amounts and the dates they were cashed and where. About three weeks ago, I received a bill for $1,989.04. The expiration date for the E.C.B. fines to be paid was December 2012. The start date for Performant's involvement was January 2013, at which time Performant would handily be able to charge me the inflated prices.

Yesterday, I received another letter from Performant Recovery that claims that I owe them $2671.98 as of May 19, 2013. How can Performant continue to add interest and other charges that may vary from day to day in May 2013 for infractions that I paid back in October and November of 2012? Please help me out of this dilemma. It is neither fair nor just that I should be taken advantage of and mistreated in this situation. Attached please find my supporting documentation. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Original review: May 26, 2013

SS granted me disability, but DCS won’t accept what a judge granted me. Now, they say my credit report shows I am able to repay it in full. I borrowed $5,200 back in 1987, and now they say I owe $14,000. How can they do this? My monthly income is only $717. Who are they to say I am not disabled?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2013

My student loan went in default and so my case was transferred to DCS or Performant Recovery Inc. I spoke with a Kelly ** who came across as a total bully. I explained to her that I have a minimum wage and worked only 20 hours a week. This company wanted me to pay $95 a month which I explained I couldn't do because I still had to pay my own bills and eat. She wanted all my information which I gave her except for the right bank account number. By now, I was very afraid of them taking my money and I won't be able to pay my bills like my rent, electricity, etc. So needless to say, the payment didn't go through. Mind you, they had already taken my taxes which were half of my total due.

In the next two weeks, they have bothered me at work and harassed my 18-year old daughter. I eventually called them back asking what right they had to bully my daughter around. I explained again that I had no way of paying that amount they asked, but this Kelly kept butting in not giving me the chance to talk. She kept threatening me with garnishing my wages and wanted other information. I told her I was not giving any more information to her unless I spoke with an attorney. Then she said she wanted the name of my attorney which I didn't give. This person was very rude and bullied me around for about 15 minutes. I do understand that I have to pay on my loan, but they are not willing to work with me whatsoever! I had to quit my job so they can't take my wages.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diversified Collection Services, Inc.?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2013

In 2010, my student loan went into default and was transferred to a collection agency. At the time, the collection agency was called DCS but later changed their name to Performant Recovery, Inc. I went through a rehabilitation program and I was told that once I made a number of payments, my loan would be taken out of default status and the negative marks would be removed from my credit report. Late in December of 2011, I received a call from a man calling himself John **. This is a person I had spoken with previously at DCS. He told me that I had made enough payments to get my loan out of default but that I must consolidate my loan through William D. Ford. He spoke very fast and became insulting and demeaning when I asked for the details such as interest rate and payment term. He told me that if I wanted to get my loan out of default, I had no choice but to consolidate and that I had to do it immediately.

I was confused and wanted to know what my interest rate and payments would be with the new company. John told me he could not answer my questions until I filled out paperwork. He told me that I must go to a website while I was on the phone with him, print paperwork, sign and mail it out before the end of December. I read the forms and it just looked like an approval for DCS to share my information with William D. Ford so that I could get further details. The next thing I know, paperwork arrives telling me that my loan has been transferred to William D. Ford Direct Loan Servicing PO Box 530260 Atlanta, GA 30353. I'm completely mystified at how this was possible without my permission.

I called Direct Loan Servicing, who was very friendly and open, but not very helpful. They told me that they had already consolidated my loan and that it was too late for me to do anything on their end and that I would have to speak with DCS. I called DCS and talked to John **, who became even more rude and outright lied. I asked to speak to his manager and was transferred to voicemail. I still have never received a call back. I received further paperwork from the new company about setting up my payments. I called and explained the situation to them, but because they couldn't do anything on their end, they recommended that I make my payments until it was resolved. We set up my new payments based on my income and I continued paying on my student loans with the new company.

At this point, I had paid full consecutive on time payments for over a year. I did call DCS again after not hearing back from John's manager the first time. I left a second message about a month after the first in March of 2012. Around the fall of 2012, I received a notice from DCS that my student loans were in default. I had been making payments to the company their account manager, John **, had pressured me into consolidating with. I had never received a single call or bill from DCS after the forced consolidation. I immediately called DCS to tell them they were mistaken because I had been making payments for over a year. The same John ** handled my call and told me that I had stopped making payments in January of 2012 and that if I did not immediately make a payment, they were going to garnish my wages. I was furious. I screamed that he had pressured and scammed me into consolidating 7 or 8 months earlier and that he had told me I had to or that my loans would stay in default and my credit would be ruined. He called me a liar and hung up on me.

I called back and asked for his manager. He handed me off to some girl who eventually admitted that she wasn't his manager and said there was none available. I was forced to leave another message. The following week, I still had not received a phone call back so I called Direct Loan Servicing and after a very long time on the phone with different people (all of which kept saying I've never seen anything like this before). I eventually found out that DCS had taken my loan back after consolidating. Nobody knows why or can explain to me why I was still receiving bills for the new company, why DCS wasn't billing me, why I was never notified of any of this. Everyone keeps telling me they've never seen anything like this. I called DCS and couldn't get away from John because if I called from work or my cell phone, the caller ID would send it directly to him. Each time I got him, I would ask for a manager and would have to leave a message.

It has been 10 months since my first message for a manager at DCS and I still have never received a call back. By blocking caller ID, I finally got a new person at DCS. I told her not to transfer me to John but that I needed help. I explained to her that I had been making payments, that I had bake statements that proved I had continually been making full payments on my loan for over a year. She told me she understood, but there was nothing she could do and that I would still have to enter the rehabilitation program again. At the time, I was saving up for a house and trying to improve my credit. I asked if this was going on my credit report and she said yes. I asked to speak with a manager and again, I had to leave a message. I left a message saying that I needed someone to take care of this, because I had made all of my payments and could prove it. I asked for a call back and said that I would make a payment when I got a call back. They never called.

The next thing they did was garnish 15% of my wages. I am so angry and upset that they can lie and intimidate people and get away with this. I have proof that I was making payments. I have proof that I want to show someone, but nobody at DCS will even talk to me unless it's to give them my bank account number to automatically deduct money. Not a single person will listen to me or look at the proof I have. Nobody will give me a clear answer as to why I'm in default. I have never felt so powerless in my life. I am being completely scammed by this company. A simple Google search of both Performant Recovery and Diversified Collections will tell you they have taken advantage of hundreds of people. In the end, to stop my wage garnishment, I had to agree to enter the same rehabilitation program I had completed over a year ago. It's like the past 2 years of payments never happened. I have no choice but to do what they say or they are going to garnish my wages. Their tactics are suspicious and underhanded. They use a method of confusion and intimidation to get people to do what they want.

I feel cheated and helpless against this company that bullies people to get what they want. Who's to say they aren't going to do this to me all over again in a year? I understand that there aren't a lot of details in here, but I do have my bank statements that show I was making payments to the new company. If you call Direct Loan Servicing, they will tell you that my loan was sold to them, but was taken back. The information is there. I just need someone to help me make these people listen. I don't deserve to be back in this rehabilitation program. Not only that, but PRI (DCS) should not be allowed to treat people this way. I am one of hundreds, probably even thousands, who have been scammed by them.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2012

I got my student loans out of default in January of 2012. A month later someone from DCS named John said that I had to now consolidate my loans with another company to be able to keep them out of default. I didn't understand why. I asked him to explain it several times because it didn't make any sense, but he got very rude and nasty with me. In February, I consolidated and started making payments to the new company. After 6 months of making payments, I get a letter from John at DCS telling me I'm in default. I called him and he has no explanation as to why suddenly my loan has moved back to DCS. I called the new company and they said DCS requested the funds be sent back. So the payments I had been making for the last 6 months were just going into some black hole. Neither company can explain it. I've left 2 separate messages for John's manager and received no calls back.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2012

I received a payment notification letter on July 29th, 2012 purporting a tax obligation to the State of Vermont; a state I had moved from over 7 years ago. I had never received any form of notice from Vermont regarding a tax obligation. The letter was unspecific as to the nature of the alleged debt. I responded as per FDCPA giving 30 days for a response. There was nothing from DCS or its agent. I sent another letter requesting a proper validation of the alleged debt, giving an additional 10 days to respond with documents validating the alleged debt. Again, no response. I contend that the initial contact was fraudulent as it now appears that DCS via its agent did not possess the required documents in which to perform a proper debt validation. I further believe that DCS and its agent's sole intent was to coerce and intimidate the assumption of a fraudulent debt by means of deception.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2012

I had set up a payment plan with Paige ** at DCS for the amount owed on some back taxes with the state of Colo. Not long after, I started to be garnished on my wages by the state of Colo for the exact amount of the payment for DCS. I was able to contact Paige and she asked for a fax of the letter from the state for the garnishment. August 31, 2012, she said that she would contact the state of Colo to see if the garnishments are in fact for the same debt. I have since then called Paige at least 6 or 8 times with no response. So after the 15th of September, I called the state myself and Beverly (from the Dept of Revenue) sent an email to Paige to confirm that a contract for payment has been set up and that since it was for the same payment period, she would stop the garnishments.

I have since then left two voicemails for Paige to please contact the state so that the garnishments will stop. I can pay my debt as contracted with DCS. No action has been taken since. Today is the 18th of September and I have had no contact from Paige. I have been garnished almost $200 for the same debt that I set up a contract for with DCS. They have now changed their name and I cannot contact anybody else in their company.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

I had my students loans with AES (American Education Services) paid down to around $27,000. I was out of work and asked AES for a deferment, requesting that the forms be mailed via snail mail to my house because I didn't have a printer at home that worked well. After three requests, I discovered that the forms were not only being emailed to me but were ending up in my spam folder! Finally, the forms were mailed, quickly filled out and mailed back. I then received a letter from AES saying my deferment was denied! When I called to ask why, I was told because the forms were received too late! Well no fooling, it took AES six weeks to figure out what it means to place forms in a mailbox. Next thing I know, my loans are in default.

I called again and asked what I can do to avoid this from happening and I was told either pay the loan in full or deal with it! I asked quite plainly if I could consolidate and I was told just as plainly no and that I was out of options. I was also told that once I went into default, I would become eligible for rehabilitation where I would need to make 9-12 consecutive payments. I could not be late or short any amount of money; otherwise, the count goes back to one. Once I completed the required number of payments, I would be taken of default. I said, "Great! How do we start?" The AES employee told me that I would receive a call in a few weeks with information. I never did. Instead, about three months later, I began to receive very rude, nasty and threatening phone calls from a company called DCS (Diversified Collection Services, Inc.).

The woman calling demanded nearly $36,000, telling me the extra money was for fees incurred because I was a loser who didn't bother paying my debt. She told me that DCS would hound me until the day I die and even after I died, DCS wouldn't stop because they would take my insurance money and SSI survivor's benefits as well leaving my husband and children with nothing! I ended up complaining to two councilpersons, my State Senator and my university. They said that DCS can't touch those funds and can't threaten me like that so I went to the Better Business Bureau of CA but they had nothing on them. I found out why later on. Then a month or two later, I received a phone from DCS but this time offering me the Rehabilitation Program. Then a few weeks after that, they offered Debt Consolidation.

The woman, whom I will refer to by her initials since she is no longer with DCS, TW, was very nice. She went through every step with me and explained that DCS had bought my defaulted loan from AES. TW further explained that I would make a series of payments to DCS while the consolidation process was being approved. Once approved, any payments I made would be applied to my balance and my default status would be fixed. It sounded easy enough. The payments to DCS were very affordable, $50 a month, and I even paid extra on my third month for a total of $210. But then everything fell apart. I received a letter from a company called Consolidated Loans stating that my application was denied. I was a bit confused because TW had made it sound as if DCS would be consolidating my defaulted student loans, not another outside agency.

Then I come to find out that Consolidated Loans received the paperwork nearly a month after I faxed it to TW. They never received a single payment and further, Consolidated Loans is a federally funded agency just like AES and I never needed a 3rd party like DCS to consolidate my loans! Apparently, I could have contacted Consolidated Loans myself, if I had known they existed in that 3-month timeframe between AES telling me that I had defaulted and AES selling my loans to DCS! But AES lied to me and told me there was nothing I could do outside of paying the debt in full! I spent those three months trying to get a private loan, borrowing from relatives and my husband's 401K but couldn't come up with $27,000. Well, last week, I received a call from a Ms. Paula ** from Performance Recovery. Apparently, DCS has changed their name yet again! That's right.

When I contacted the BBB of CA a second time, I found out why they had a hard time finding anything on DCS. The company has changed their name three times in five years! It makes you wonder why, doesn't it? Anyway, Ms. ** told me that I had no business contacting Consolidated Loans. Really? They have all my personal information so I think I have some rights in contacting them. Then Ms. ** said that I failed in completing my paper. I don't think so. So, Ms. ** then proceeded to place a 3-way call between herself, Consolidated Loans and myself. She cut both myself and the operator form Consolidated Loans off twice insisting that I was misinformed and given a lot of information that has left me confused. When I refused to be silenced, she quickly announced that she would help restart the process and disconnected the call with Consolidated Loans.

When I then told her that I would not restart the paperwork, Ms. ** was very quick to add that she never said that and that my mistake was not checking off a box on one of the forms. Things got a bit heated and I hung up on her. No sooner did I get off the phone did my phone ring again. This time it was the same operator from Consolidated Loans! He called me directly to let me know that my paperwork was complete and in perfect order. Apparently, it was a mistake on their end and they were correcting it at that very moment. This whole thing is a mess and I can't believe that I've been taken twice- 1st by AES and now by DCS. I may be embarrassed but not too embarrassed to fight!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2012

I called to start making payments on my account in collection. I felt like I was being bullied by the manager. He wanted my debit card number or my checking account number so they could take my payment out of my account. I told him no. Then, he got all mouthy and want to make it like I was being the bad one. I was told that I had no rights because of the contract I had signed and that I did not get to choose. I was also told that my payment would not make a difference to him or it would not make his day. I am calling the company I really owe the money to and let them know who they have working for them.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2012

I came to an agreement with DCS to start a rehab program on my defaulted student loans. When they asked me for my payment info, I told them I needed the agreement in writing. They informed me that they do not do this, say what? I am an ex-collection agent and I would never take money from anyone to pay a bill without an agreement letter sent first for their protection, as well as my company's protection. When I called ECMC, the original owner of my student loans, they could not understand why DCS would not give me an agreement in writing and promised to look into it. Also, just 2 days prior to today, 08/23/2012, I had come to an agreement with another company who had the other student loan of mine. They had no problem sending me an agreement letter, which I signed and returned to them. The next day, I called back and made payment as agreed.

Long story short, if you won't give me an agreement letter first, then you are up to something. What it is, I am not exactly sure. But if you are working for a legit company, then handle things legitimately. There is something scandalous about this company. They even changed their name to Performance Recovery Inc. Get away from the bad stuff they are doing, good luck. Just changing a company name won't get you away form this stuff; you need to change the way the company operates. You will not see a penny from me unless I have it in writing. And to think that this company has been given a contract by a Federal student loan organization.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2012

I received a call today, August 6, 2012, from Diversified Collection Services. My July student loan payment did not go through because I am not working right now. The customer service representative threatened to garnish my wages, so I stated that if that was to happen, I would have to file the situation to get it adjusted due to the fact that I cannot afford the payment that they have set for me as it is. He then laughed and I asked him if this was hilarious. He responded again that they would garnish my wages as I was explaining that when they called me in March they did not consider my expenses, which include prescriptions and medical costs, to say the least. He again laughed and said, "What does that have to do with your student loan?”

It has a lot to do with my student loans! I haven't been able to see the doctor or purchase my prescriptions, maintain transportation, care for my dependent children, or live adequately because they take more than 25% of my income. That is what led to the bankruptcy earlier this year. They even included my child support as part of my income when it is not guaranteed and is not consistent. I have only received it for the last year with more than a year of non-payment in between. I am extremely disappointed in the collection procedures of this company! I find it highly illegal to threaten people and to laugh at their financial situations.

This is definitely not the right way to treat people. This is why so many people are feeling so destitute and resorting to suicide and mass killing because they feel that they are not being treated respectfully and that there is a non-caring attitude from credit providers. Like I was stating to the customer service rep, I never said that I would not pay. I just can't pay what they are asking for. Along with that, I am not working right now and have even filed for public assistance. Shame on DCS for their practices and for having someone to represent them in that fashion!

Original review: July 17, 2012

I once had a debt with this collection agency. Due to illness and job loss, I had to file bankruptcy. My debts are now discharged but Diversified Collection Services, Inc. is now calling me, stating they are looking for someone else I have never heard of. I've had the same phone number for many years. I feel they are calling me because my debt with them was discharged and they are harassing me.

Original review: June 26, 2012

This company calls my mom, my mother-in-law and sister in-law daily. I finally received a letter stating that they will garnish my wages. They call all the time and send threatening letters. I contacted an attorney. I can't pay them $12,000.00 at the drop off a hat. I work part time! AES did not work with me on a deferment or forbearance; they just sold it to this company.

Original review: June 22, 2012

I received my SSD award letter, re: permanent disability. I began to call creditors who had been so patient and let them know I can now pay something each month. When I called Diversified Collections (for AES and National Collegiate Trust), after quite sometime of trying to let them know just how little income I will have, they told me that the lowest amount they will accept from me is $130 per month and that will take 9 years with a payment of that small amount. They treated me like a second rate citizen, took my financial information and didn't see how I'd be able to make the payment. I said, "That's right, I won't make enough to pay everyone." It has been very hard just paying my rent. I've sold almost everything I own. Under great duress, I agreed to the terms, because that is all we could do, and this is the only way that they would stop other attempts to collect on this debt.

After this, I wrote to National Collegiate Trust (NCT) and asked for some humane understanding because my illness is not something planned. It is just part of my life. I also sent a copy to Diversified. No one ever responded. I called Diversified to tell them of bank change and left a message for Michelle. She never called me back, so I called again the next day and gave the information to the payment department (I believe it was). On the day the payment was to be taken out of my bank, it wasn't.

I called Michelle again and asked her what happened. She had no information about my new bank account, although she did see my new address. I gave her the information again for automatic withdrawal. She asked if there was anything else she could help with and I asked about why there was no response to my letter. She said she did not show receipt of a letter. I let her know the content of the letter as sent to NCT. She said there was nothing she could do for me, period. She put her supervisor on to verify that I agreed to the payment. I said this month I do. She was very irritable and asked if I agree to continued payments. I said, "I agree to this month's payment." That really irritated her. Oh well, I thought.

I called NCT and complained to them about this unfair agreement and about the number of expensive medications I need to purchase (no job, no benefits, no Medicaid or whatever). I told them most everything and I was told there is nothing they can do for me. Oh, great. Then, I asked for a supervisor. They did not let me speak with one. No one ever called me back when I had asked a supervisor call me. However, the person I spoke with did inform me that I could eliminate the automatic withdrawal for Diversified at my bank, and if I send any amount to Diversified, they must accept that. That is all she would say. She did recommend that I not stop paying Diversified something.

So, is this true? Can I send what I can afford and have them leave me alone? If this is right, I will not pay that amount any more, I will stop the automatic withdrawal authorization with my bank, and I will let them know - no more payments that are unaffordable and keeping me from buying the medications I need. The tactic of pressuring a person under great duress until they agree to something they cannot manage sounds like what was happening with the mortgage industry. Diversified knew I could not afford the payment that they insisted was the least they could accept. This behavior needs to stop. If any payment will suffice, then they must tell clients this and not lie to them!

Original review: June 20, 2012

I received several harassing phone calls from a representative of DCS. Her name is Jessica **. She is very rude and uncooperative and will make sure you hear what she has to say but is not willing to hear what you have to say. She out and out lied to me about the status of my student loans by telling me that my loans were not yet in default and had not been reported as such on my credit report, but if I didn't start making payments with the program they were offering, they would be in default.

After the first payment was made, I received a packet from DCS stating, "Congratulations! You have established an excellent payment record on your defaulted student loans." It goes on to state that with my approval, the College Student Aid Commission may now sell my loan to a bank or financial institution. I called to talk to Jessica about this letter and what it said, stating that she and another person who was on the phone with her told me the same thing. Jessica said that my loan was not in default as the state did not report defaulted loans until October. Jessica denied telling me this, would not listen to me and immediately transferred me to someone else who, conveniently, was unavailable but would return my phone call in 24 to 48 hours.

I called back and asked to speak to Jessica. I was put on hold and then transferred to Pam **. Again, I got a message stating my call would be returned in 24-48 hours. I called back a 3rd time, got the message that I had reached DCS and then nothing but dead air for several minutes. On the 4th call, I did finally get Jessica's voicemail and left her a message. Today is June 20th. I have papers that I am supposed to sign and send back so they are in California by the 23rd and I live in Iowa. I just received the papers yesterday. There's no way they will be there in time. Some racket, huh?

Original review: June 18, 2012

This company has been harassing my father and me with repeated calls about a school loan debt. On or before June 6, 2012, DCS contacted me and claimed that if I did not make a payment towards my school loan, my father's work checks would begin to get garnished and we would continue to receive harassing calls. To prevent this action, I immediately gave out upon DCS request my checking account routing number and checking account number. I received a letter in the mail stating that on June 15th, DCS will withdraw funds from my account in the amount of $119.42.

On Monday, June 18th, I attempted to contact DCS. After several attempts, I spoke with a very rude lady that transferred me to a voice mail. After several more attempts, I was connected with the same lady or a different lady with a similar voice and the same attitude. She asked for my social security number immediately. I explained that the letter I received has an account number and I would prefer to give her that. She then put me on hold for 15+ minutes. After coming back to the line, I gave her my account number numerous times and she claimed that's an accurate account number but it's not valid and that she will need my social security number. I refused to give her my social security number. She transferred me to a voice-mail.

I called The National Collegiate Trust (NCT) aka American Education Services where the loan is originated (I should have called them months ago when the harassing calls started), 1-800-233-0557, and spoke to a customer service rep named Ebony. She explained to me that my account is not past due and that I do not owe any payments at this time. She continued to explain that I have a deferment that does not end until July 11, 2012 and that it would be too early to be receiving collection calls for payments that are not due as of yet.

I tried to call DCS back. I cannot get through to a live person. I left 2 voice mails. I am really nervous that this company has my account number.

Original review: May 15, 2012

I tried to get in contact with the agents of Diversified Collection Services, and I made many calls to 1-888-335-6267. They never answered. Last time, I talked to an agent with the name of Jessica, and she told me all I wanted to hear and that she was going to take care and to call back to make payment arrangements and to set up a plan of payments, like I am going to pay $200 each month on the 15th of each month. And I have a debit card with City Bank, but they never returned the calls. Also in the past, they don't stay with the plan payment and lie a lot; and they write to Social Security and take my money with nothing but a lie that I am the one who does not answer to the letters they wrote (to an address that I don't know). I need to pay the student loan, and I need to make a payment plan.

Original review: May 3, 2012

Diversified Collection Services committing fraud/defamation - Neighbor said DCS called them, asked if they could look outside their window to advise if I was at home - that they need to find me to settle my account. 1 mo. ago, they called my family stating that they were with the prosecutor's office and I needed to call right away about my case.

Original review: May 2, 2012

They keep calling me about a T-Mobile account which is not mine. They have never sent me a statement, also neither has T-Mobile. I asked them to send a statement so I can dispute the bill and a customer agreement signed by me, which they cannot produce because I never signed one. It is not mine, they told me they sent it to an address which is not mine. I have lived at this address for 38 years. They also said they would not send me one, told me to file a fraud report with the police department which I tried to do but could not because they would not give me any information such as an account number or what it is all about.

Original review: April 26, 2012

On 4/18/12, 4/19/12 and 4/20/12, **, a collections agent for Diversified Collection Services, Inc., located at 333 North Canyons Parkway, Suite 100, Livermore, CA. 94551, (800) 927-7667 ext. **, called me several times at my place of work to discuss another person's debt with me. The first day he called (4/18/12), ** left a message with one of my employees, telling the person, who he was, who he worked for and, he wanted to talk to me. Mr. ** told the employee that I needed to call him at the (800) 927-7667 number. The next day (4/19/12), ** again called me at work, from the 800 number. ** told me his name, the company he worked for, and that he was trying to contact a Larry **.

He said that Larry ** owed Diversified Collection Services, Inc. $44,000 for past due student loans. Mr. ** told me I needed to tell Mr. ** that he called and Mr. ** needed to call him back at the 800 number. I told ** I did not know anything about Mr. **'s debt. ** kept asking me to tell him my home address. I told Mr. ** I did not know anything about this person's debt and I was not going to tell him my home address, or give him any information about me. ** kept trying to talk over me and kept demanding I give him my home address. I told ** that the number he called was my work number, the location he called was a government contracts office and to stop calling and discussing this person's debt issues with my employees and me.

The very next day, Mr. ** called me at my work and made the same demands he had previously made the day before. His unwanted, unwarranted, harassing phone calls to my work number has the potential to place my job and my employees' jobs in jeopardy. I have told ** of Diversified Collection Services, Inc., my company is a prime contractor for the Federal Government, unsolicited phone calls are strictly forbidden. I do not know anything about the person's debt, stop calling my work, stop discussing Mr. **'s debt with my employees and me, cease all communications (verbal and written), with anyone at my work about Mr. **'s debt. My employees and I do not owe any debt to DCS and, I am not a signer or co-signer of any debt owed to Diversified Collections Services, Inc. Mr. **(DCS) called me again, the very next day.

Original review: April 14, 2012

I had repaid my student loan completely. I paid $7,000 + $5,000 + another $3,000. I was told I only owed another $70.00 and I will be done. Anything over and above the $70.00 will be reimbursed to me. I have yet to receive my $600.00-plus from them.

I have called and got a nasty unprofessional secretary. She hung up on me and then I called back, she then let me know it was not a supervisor on duty, and they do not have an overpayment recovery program representative. I was furious at that point. I let her know I would be faxing and e-mailing the company a letter. She directed me to go ahead! I was not given the fax, or email information. She just hung up! Wow, I was baffled. Why is this company able to steal money from people? What kind of government do we have to hire this type of service?

I am now preparing to write my local government and question his or her judgment on the hiring of this company, DCS (Department of Children Services), a local welfare office initials. So, DCS tricks you into calling them back and then let the games begin. Once you answer, they begin to get your personal information and then use it against you. All I want is my overpayment they have robbed me of. I am the wrong person to undermine. I will get whoever I need to in order for me to get my hard earned money back.

I am a single mom and grandma, raising my 5 children and 3 grandchildren, how shameful of these people to take extra money from me. I work a full time job and have to work 70 hours a week just to replace the money they take out of my wages. The more I make, the more they take. Thank God I have paid the $15,000 back. It is a blessing, but what I am not happy about is they are still taking 15% of my earnings even though I am completely finished paying the whole loan off, interest and all. I have had a stroke worrying myself about this situation. I feel like I should sue them for the grief they have caused me and my family.

Original review: April 3, 2012

In 2009, I was contacted by DCS. They were collecting on unpaid tuition loans which were true. I settled with them for $19,500, which is what was asked. I never received any confirmation of payment and have asked a number of times. 13 months later, I am again contacted by DCS, asking for another $13,000 which they just tell me I owe, but will not show proof. I have paid the amount of the tuition money and more back to the bank, so I do not know what this $13,000 more is for. There was no prior warning that I had not been making payments to anyone, just DCS saying I owe the money now and they will take any and all actions to collect.

I asked again for them to send me a receipt of what I had paid now until 18 months ago and I still have not received any information, just threats to collect the money they claimed I owe them. At this time, I have not paid and I have not been told why I need to pay this debt they claim I have with them.

Original review: March 31, 2012

I was recently contacted by DCS, Inc. via cell phone on March 18th of 2012, stating that I owed the New Mexico Tax and Revenue Department. I never heard of such debt or this company before. I pay taxes every year and this was never mentioned. The lady, Jessica ** was rude and unprofessional. She spoke really fast and did not want to answer my questions about the company. I provided important information, seeing as though she stated that the phone call was recorded for later use. However, most companies would not ask for your Social Security number during that time. At the same time, I asked why I never received notice of this matter and she said that the state could not find me. Imagine that! Then I requested all information be sent in writing before I go any further.

I had a bad gut feeling so I searched online, only to find complaints and rumors of fraud. I have not been contacted again but I did send a letter called "Drop Dead" from the website clarkhoward.com. Hopefully they will not call or stalk me any longer. I will most definitely call the New Mexico Tax and Revenues Department to inform them of such fraud.

Original review: March 29, 2012

After receiving no notification that a garnishment of wages was about to occur, I was informed by my employer that they were instructed to begin the process. This was in 2010. After finally gaining a copy of the paperwork from my employer, I contacted Diversified Collection Services, Inc. and explained that this was an error. They instructed me to provide paperwork in order to back my statement. I faxed the paperwork I had, disputing this fact of me owing this debt. At that point, Ms. ** stated that the garnishment would be suspended pending an investigation.

Now, here it is 2012 and I've received another notification from my employer that they have been instructed to begin the garnishment again. I've received no notification as to the outcome of the investigation, nor the opportunity to dispute the debt or make some type of payment arrangements if the findings of the investigation were that I do owe. I've heard nothing from the company and my calls are not being returned.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2012

February 9, 2012. My federal undergraduate loan was consolidated and paid in full (Citistudentloan.com). I had a private student loan with/under Citi Assist. Citi then sold my federal student loan to Sallie Mae and my private student to Discovery. In faith, I started paying my private student loan to Discovery, only for Discovery to return my payments indicating that my private student loans were not with them. Shortly thereafter, I began to receive threatening letters from Diversified Collection Services (DCS) stating that "this is an attempt to collect a debt," and they are authorized to collect this debt by any means necessary.

Finally, I contacted DCS, spoke with Mr. **, who in turn advised me that they would need some information in order to determine my monthly payment. Subsequently this information was provided accordingly, only to be informed that I would "need to pay a one time payment of $25,000.00 in good faith and that would save me $10,000.00 that would allow me to obtain a better credit." I kindly told Mr. ** that I would not be able obtain this kind of money. He then presented other "options”:

1. One time payment of $17,975 and my monthly payment would be $375.00.

2. One time payment of $11,000 and my monthly payment would be $889.00.

I informed Mr. ** that I do not have the means of paying this kind of money that he is asking me to pay, and if he would be willing to consider a monthly payment of $375.00. Mr. ** stated that he was going to make a note in his file and he is going to make an attempt to get this money by tomorrow (February 10, 2012) and that he expects me to call him tomorrow with a payment. At which point he ended the conversation with me saying, "Hello, hello..."

First, Mr. ** was very rude in hanging up his phone in the middle of our conversation. I have made it clear that I am not able to borrow the aforementioned money that he is asking of me to pay by the next business day. I did inform him that I am currently attending graduate school. Nevertheless, this information was not relevant to him as he had constantly repeated "as per my manager." This has been ongoing issue with DCS sending (four) threatening letters twice a month. This type of harassment needs to stop. Help!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2012

I was called at work by someone who demanded to know why I didn't pay my student loan. I asked to see if it was possible to make payments that would be easy for me. It was only a little over 2k, but when I suggested payments of $50, she told me that it wouldn't work since my fees were more than that. My bill never changes, so what fees?

She then asked me why I didn't pay it off with income tax. I said it went toward the car that I was paying off so I forgot about my loan. I didn't just go and borrowed money because I couldn't do it to my family. I do not have much money in the bank since I live between paychecks. She insisted that we call the bank to see how much I have in my account. As I was on a business phone, which I can't tie up for a long period of time, I refused the idea of calling the bank. She insisted and said that she will make a way. She also added that if I do not cooperate, it would mean that I have no intention of paying the loan.

They should not have called at work! I had to hang up since I didn't have an option. I keep getting letters but they never called me again. I don't know about these guys. I have two different papers for the same loan with two completely different charges, with almost $500 difference. Who do you call? I don't want to talk to DCS again. So I'll try the other one with fingers crossed!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2012

Your representative, to whom the Louisiana Dept. of Revenue and Taxation outsourced their collections, collected a payment from me that was not owed, that was collected from harassing my wife, and that was discussed with my wife who was not listed on my tax return either as joint-filer or as a dependent. The rules of confidentiality were badly misused and I want my money back. I have statement from the La. Dept. of Revenue and Taxation attesting to the fact that I did not owe the money your Mrs. ** collected from me.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2012

I am a single parent dealing with Aggravated Identity Theft, on Tax fraud for taxes owed for and child support off set. They did DNA fraud by using my blood work that was taken on 1-23-2012, 1-24-2012, while at Detroit Receiving hospital on 4201 St. Antoine Blvd in Detroit Mi, where on several occasion they have repeatedly use my blood work for fraud to obtain money for kids who are not mine. As well as collecting money for child support for taxes that they owe for a dating service that they are running here. They illegally soliciting young women and young girl into prostitution and the cities are very aware of it. 4 young ladies have gotten rape and killed in these cities due to this scam. They have my original birth certificates.

He is and known rapist that they are letting terrorist this cites. I am no longer a resident here. I am visiting and plan to be moving out of the state of Michigan. I am suing for Extortion charges, stalking and harassment at the Wayne county police department where they are under indictment for several different things, maybe even murder. I have experienced this abuse. I was hit by a car and threat that my family would be murdered and I am speaking for those who are afraid to stand up for themselves and not let a low life **** destroy their life because he thinks he is above the law.

They have gone so far as to have stolen my birth certificate for my 3 kids and medical records tampering with them and switching federal information police records. These people have no right to be in the freedom of regular citizens due to the history of criminal sexual contact. They have felonies for me and my son has been victims of these people for too long. They think it is a game but it is a disgrace to the United States that these criminal can stalk and harass innocent women and set them on fire and burn them up and nobody is doing anything about.

These cities are going under and the mayor does have a clue what to do they are getting away with extortion which is a federal crime. These people are in are bars assaulting women, leaving them for dead and all kinds of sexual things. They are using innocent and good people’s name and are ruining their life like they are trying to do me and my son but I won’t let that happen and in case you didn’t know what extortion is, let me give you the definition of it. It is an organized crime, illegal acquisition of money, property or laws through the use of force or the threats of force abuse of privilege on the part of a public official, who has used his or her position to get money, blackmail and robbery. Extortion is entirely, illegal as it involves threats of violence or other illegal acts, such as mass murder, first degree murder, stalking, perjury, false statements, false personification and bribery.

This has gotten out of hand and needs to be dealt with ASAP. These people are taking me and my son money for crimes and taxes we do not owe are not involved in such organization. We are into helping homeless and feeding homeless people, not taking, stealing and abusing the power that they have because they are in a public office and they feel they can treat people any way they want. We have rights as citizens to stand up and protect ourselves from this low life scum who don’t like women. If it wasn’t for us, he would be here. I need assisted in getting my money back that they have stolen for, taxes and several other crimes they have committed by the use of their power of a public office here in Detroit Mi, and it is going on in Ohio.

Diversified Collection Services, Inc. Company Information