1.41/5
Based on 69 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Pleasanton, CA

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

85 Diversified Collection Services, Inc. Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 30, 2018

I have been making payments to this collection agency from an AT&T bill that I owe on. I make monthly payments. They continue to call me every single day several times a day. And now when they call as soon as I pick up the phone they hang up in my face. I know it is them because when I call the number back it says their name. I am getting to the point where I am going to stop making any payment at all even if it means going against my credit. I am sick and tired of the rude and harassing phone calls day after day. They can take me to court if the harassing calls do not stop.

Original review: April 27, 2018

In December 2017, I switched my cell service from T-Mobile to Verizon, T-Mobile stated they would not unlock. My cell phone bill was paid in full, I paid my balance. They unlocked the phone. Two weeks later I got another “final” bill from T-Mobile for another $ 98.00, I called them to try and straighten it out, all I got was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo about finalized bill. January 2018 I started getting calls from these smart mouthed agents threatening me with referring this to my credit report unless I paid the balance, they were calling me three and four times a week on both my phone numbers, the more they called the angrier I got. April 5, I decided to just pay it off, so I made a payment online of $20.00, April 26, they reported this to the credit agencies, this can’t be legal, help.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Collection Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

This company in no way is helpful! I have dealt with a debt collection before who was willing to help, send out a letter ASAP and most importantly had great customer service. Diversified had NONE of these qualities. Even the supervisors are rude. They promised us a letter of deletion which we never got and claim they don't do. Which is a lie because you can find letters online. This company needs to be addressed because their business practices are no legit.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I am citizen of the United States of age, would like to make a complaint against operating credit debt collection agency Diversified Consultants, inc acct ** $1374.14 unaware of this account and have signed agreement with this company & it appears they care about consumers rights for identity theft. I have made several attempts contacting the agency disputing fraudulent accounts. They refused to Delete & consider the (FCRA) FAIR CREDIT TRANSACTION ACT CONSUMER FINANCIAL PROTECTION BUREAU OF CALIFORNIA CREDIT LAWS Sections 605B, 615(f), 623(a)(6).

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Never have I ever commented that a company had a kind, respectful professional debt collectors. But they did today. I am surprised, no dumbfounded. I don't like the way they call out of the blue and cannot confirm data they want to collect but they sure are kind.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Diversified Collection Services, Inc.?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I received first correspondence around October of 2016 for an alleged debt for Comcast. I immediately responded and disputed the debt as well as requested validation or proof of alleged debt. A week or so after I received a blank invoice from collection agency holding supposed debt with a total balance due - No line items or explanation of what the amount due was for. I then responded requesting evidence of debt rather than a blank invoice with no line items or proof of debt. The representative assured me that this "debt" would not be reported to the credit bureaus until I received some sort of validation explaining services rendered or detailing what charges occurred for me to be responsible for this debt.

I received no further correspondence until I learned that this company has since reported this "debt" against my credit and my score has since dropped 100 points. I then called yesterday, the 7th of February requesting explanation of this behavior and why I was not contacted with further proof of supposed debt. I was quickly transferred to their collections floor manager (Sal) who could not explain why they had illegally reported against my credit and seemed to not be interested in answering any of my questions. He seemed to have a tenuous grasp of his credit reporting procedures and instead of answering my simple questions he decided to call my questions contradictory. He curtly advised that I call another department for explanation of this.

I believe he knew his agency was in the wrong because he kept trying to push me off of the phone. When I finally asked him point blank if he has the power to delete credit accounts that have already been reported he abruptly hung up on me, which I obviously found to be very rude, instead of attempting to help me in any way. Or explain in any degree of detail why I had not received any proof of debt. They should have not reported this supposed debt while it was under dispute.

All calls are claimed to be recorded and I have responded quickly to any attempt to collect this supposed debt. I am contemplating retaining legal council to deal with this problem because the agency in question seems to not want to adhere to the strict laws that protect consumers like me. This process has caused me a great deal of stress and mental anguish as well as affected my otherwise impeccable credit record. I feel like I have exhausted all avenues that are available to me as a consumer and this is my last effort before retaining legal council.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

The people at Diversified Solutions are rude and disrespectful. They will not work with you. They will call you all hours in the night and harass you about a debt collection regarding a family member. I have ask them not to call me no more. They keep tell me if I don't pay their bill they will take me to court, then I ask them for a date and won't tell me. Also they tell me they are coming to serve me papers at my house to go to court. These people need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau as they are rude and disrespectful to people. If I ever in my life own a business I will NEVER turn to these people to collect from a customer.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

They keep calling our company on the fax line. I have called them several times been told they were removing it. Last time I called they were we do not see our company's number. The person they are looking for does not even work for our company. I am sick and tired of the robo calls. I filed a complaint with FCC about them for the company. Now I am posting here as well. If I could block you from calling I would have done that back in September. It is now December and it is still going on. Horrible, unprofessional. If we ever had issue with our customers with payment I would NEVER turn to your company to try collect. From experience you would harass the wrong people or company.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

I am a family member of the person Diversified Services is trying to collect an old, incorrect debt from. Somehow they got MY cellphone and home phone number although it is unlisted. When they called yesterday, I told them they should not have my numbers and not to call me again or I would report them. They continued with rude, threatening collection techniques. I told them do not call again and hung up.

This morning they called BOTH numbers again. I am not the one they are trying to collect from! I called them, told them I had done all the legal things, reported them to FTC, Commercial Protection Agency, and my state attorney general AND if they call again, I will look into online businesses that will call continuously every number they have to jam their lines AND businesses that will over stuff every mailbox they have with absurd junk mail! I have had it with these rude, aggressive collection agencies who skirt the law and manage to stay in business! ENOUGH with decent people being threatened by these scoundrels!

Original review: July 27, 2016

I received a email from a person that said they worked for this company stating I owed money. I called company, she doesn't exist!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

I had school loans that I was making payments on, but it was determined I was not paying enough fast enough. Diversified contacted me for a re-payment plan. I was told no new interest would accumulate and the payments would be drawn directly from my account. I was told this would happen for 8 months, then my loan would be returned to the US Department of Education and no longer be considered in default. In the final month, I got a notice... it said that I was late on my payment. I called. I was told the loan had been returned to the department of education. I called the department of education... they told me they received nothing from Diversified and I needed to contact Diversified.

In the meantime, no payments could be made because nobody could tell me where to send it. This went on for months until my paycheck was suddenly garnished by over $500 (I am a teacher in a public school in Louisiana). I have tried to contact people at Diversified for over 2 years. I have left messages, but have NEVER been able to speak to anybody. They have charged me more than $1400 in unexplained fees since January 2015. They have also taken all of one tax return and half of the last one... with NO notice and REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW! They took over $12,000 in payments from me in 2015 alone. I have never received the "mandated by federal law" notice of garnishment, income tax offset, NOTHING. I plan to find a lawyer and give them the hell they have given me!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2016

I paid off an outstanding debt that accrued when I no longer worked, due to taking care of my ailing mother. The debt was paid off a year ago, and they kept a lien on the property. I've called repeatedly and been given the runaround. The person I spoke to was Christina who is very rude and unprofessional. They are still demanding almost $5,000 which again has already been paid in full.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

When I was laid off from my job, my loans went into default and was sold to Diversified Collection Solutions. When I spoke to one of their many representative, they was always rude and didn't care about my situation. One person went so far to tell me that I would have never went to school. Frustrated and hopeless, I reached out to the Department of Education and was able to get my loans consolidated. Unfortunately my issues didn't stop there with DCS. For the past year or so, they have been leaving bad marks on my credit. I am at a lost on what to do or who to reach out to. I even had my loans reconsolidated twice with no luck. I just want DCS out of my life!

Original review: May 20, 2015

I called in to discuss a debt owed by me to US Cellular. The Reps don't like me calling in on my account and were rude. Diversified claims I owe 900.00 and I feel that they have no right adding a 200.00 fee to my $799 balance that I owed to US Cellular. I will make payments but it will not be for what they claim I owe.

Original review: April 29, 2015

We moved last year and at the time, my fiance and I both had Comcast, we decided to go with his plan as it was less expensive. I called Comcast and told them what we were doing with the timeline and when the service was to be disconnected. Comcast, did not turn off my service on the date requested, so when I got a bill we called and asked them to roll it into our new account although the amount was wrong they went through and corrected it and agreed that it would be taken off as a collection account. 3 months later I was checking my credit score and saw that I had ding from Diversified Collections.

First, I called Comcast and they agreed to take the report off the account and mark it as current and closed. There was a small balance that was owing of $93 but again I had no idea as they never sent me a bill. I went ahead and paid it, and called Diversified, talked to a supervisor and again they were going to take this off my report as the amount they were reporting was $234 and that was not correct nor was the report from Comcast. After another couple months, I called Comcast Corporate and they said they would take care of it as they could see what happened and it never should of been reported.

Now 6 months later, this shows up on my credit report as a collection account. Again I called and still no results, so I reported it to Experian and it came back as "Remains". I am so frustrated and angry that this still has not been resolved.

Original review: April 22, 2015

I did owe Sprint through Diversified. Sprint took my account back and gave my account to ERC a few years ago. On my credit it showed that I owed sprint $684 through Diversified and $684 through ERC. After I called all 3 places several times, ERC was the only company who could access my account so I settled with them and that amount came off of my credit report however Diversified is still showing that I owe $684 to sprint. That does not look good on my account because I'm trying to buy a house. Please take this off of my credit report thank you.

Original review: March 24, 2015

I called to get info about a collection I saw on my credit report that I was not aware of. The phone number was to a Pinnacle credit services but once I gave the operator my information, she explained that they were using Diversified Collection Services. (By the way the operator was the only real professional) Once transferred, a young lady asked for my social security stating (she could not look me up by the account number the operator had just given me). Then told me I would have to go to the police, file a complaint and fax all personal information. Asked if she could email the fax number and information to legally have proof of this request, she told me no. I told her I did not have a pen. She told me to call back and hung up on me.

Called back once again, spoke to the operator she reconnected me with Diversified where then I spoke to a **. Giving my social security once again because i was told that they could not look me up by account number that was given to me. Was then told by ** that they no longer cared for my account. (To remind you I was just on the phone with another young lady advising me that I had to go to the police and fax all my information to them). Asked ** why would there be no notes put on my account from the previous person I just spoke to? They are supposed to be recording these calls but no documentation is put in the system when you advise or in a customers account. She was very nice this young lady. However she understood how horrible it was to now give out my Social Security 3 times and now be told the complete opposite that they did not have my account.

What also was in question is that she re-asked me for the account number that both her and the other representative said they could not look up. WHY? but I gave her the number and now all of a sudden their systems were able to look it up. (So why was I asked for my social time after time. Even after I had said multiple times that I did not feel comfortable with saying my social security number). I was being transferred to a Manager but do you think I made it to him? NOPE. on hold hearing beeping for 5 min. No answer. Called yet again was transferred yet again, was asked for my social security yet again because supposed they could not look me up by the account number that was given to me. Asked if I could speak to the representative that was just helping me and was transferring me to the manager. Put on hold transferred to a random extension to leave a message.

Called back again, busted in tears with the operator that was so nice to me previously explaining what I had just been put thru (Operator felt horrible and explained she would email someone to call me shortly). Asked her why I was given this account number when they tell me they can't use it and harass me for my social security and she was appalled. Explaining to me that she gave me that number so I would not have to recite my social security number so many times to strangers. I recorded all of this as well.!

Original review: March 19, 2015

I have been working with Performant Loans to set up a consolidation plan and have been making steady payments for the last few months. I then started receiving phone calls from my grandma the same day I made my payments (on time btw) stating that the number 866-391-5548 had been leaving messages on her answering machine, claiming that my student loan repayment agreement was in jeopardy and that I needed to contact them to make a payment, even though I had already made my payment to a completely different phone number and person earlier that day.

I called the real Performant back, and they told me it was not them making the calls and it's actually not legal for them to leave all of this information on my grandma's voicemail and to disregard the message. So I did call the 866-391-5548 back and they immediately asked for my social security number (which I refused to give) and I told them I had spoken with the real Performant and that all my payments were up to date. The girl on the phone began to act really nervous and started giggling an apology and said that it may take a few weeks but they would take me off their call list.

If it really were a legitimate student loan's company that I owed money to, they would not have taken a call without a my social security number or account information and they would not have taken me off a "call list" with just me asking. Something sketchy is going on here so consumer beware!

Original review: March 13, 2015

I had a payday loan years ago. It is paid off. ** phoned my daughter yesterday and not only harassed her, but gave out all personal information regarding my payday loan that my daughter had nothing to do with. First and foremost, I did collections for years, you are not permitted by law to tell any one person referenced about anything. I was sitting right there and could hear her telling my daughter everything. This is 3 years of this crap. I have faxed them the paperwork showing this is paid in full, but they still continue to harass me, and now my family. I have filed a formal complaint with the PA Attorney Generals Office, the FCC, and also with the BBB. The number they are calling from is 716-625-9390. When you Google that number, it comes up as belonging to David Davidson Allstate Insurance in NY.

Original review: March 6, 2015

Diversified Collection Agency and its people are educated in calmingly abusing its prey on the telephone. They do so by talking over their caller not giving the caller a chance to speak, as if it is a recording, but I do not believe it is. IF the public wants to change the way these people do business, then complaints should be made at on the many complaint boards at every opportunity... it ended in my just hanging up.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2015

These people call and when you answer they won't say anything. Then they are rude and harass you day and night.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

I owed a company nearly $500. I called Diversified to settle this payment. I used what I figured to be a easy payment service over the phone. I could not have been more wrong. The employees at the company called me a liar and were completely unprofessional, saying I never made a payment even though I had a confirmation number. A couple days had passed and no luck in settling the feud. I then called the company I owed directly. They called Diversified and still got nowhere - so I paid them directly. A couple days later I looked at my account that showed both a payment to the company owed and Diversified. This caused a few overdrafts in my account. Diversified will not take any blame for what they did. The supervisor I talked with, Marcy, was as uneducated and rude as the rest of the employees. I know what they do is a miserable job but hey, that's what they signed up for, but like any other job, when you ** up - take responsibility.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2014

I also have had an awful experience with a collection agency. But I will tell you after arguing on the phone with these unprofessional idiots. I certainly would just let them take me to court before I would pay by any other means other than a MONEY ORDER. I really don't know who they think they are. Personally I think whoever owes any monies to any company, they should be handling it themselves with the borrower, not some collection company that rips off the consumer 10 times over, because what they do is keep selling your name to other collection companies so the bottom line is results is never ending. I also think if the government would step in and take a hold of this whole situation with these bogus collection agencies and put all of them out of business things would be much better for everyone. It doesn't matter if you pay them or not, once they have your name, your debt, it will always be on your credit report still unpaid until at least the 7 years and will then drop off.

In my opinion, refuse to pay them any other way except by money order. If they really want that debt settled, they will take it that way. But I must warn you, even that way it still won't be settled, because all they hear is dollar signs, and nice fat bonuses for harassing and threatening the consumer. What gets me is the creditors and the government lets this go on and on with their **. They simply need to be put out of business, then all those idiots sitting there at their cubicles harassing people will be out of a job, won't be able to pay their bills and they in turn will find their names up for collections, harassed on a daily basis. They need to find a real job. So in the long run, get a lawyer to fix your problem, then they will go away.

Original review: May 28, 2014

These collectors are outrageous. They are very disrespectful and rude. I asked the manager Chris to let me talk to someone over him and he told me that they did not have time to speak to "people like me". This was just one example, there are many, of his direct disrespect.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2014

They did not reports payment.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2014

This company contacted me about a year ago talking about rehabilitating my student loan, they told me that I had to pay 100 dollars up front and then make a payment of 99 dollars for the next 6 months on time. After successfully doing that they would send my loan to another lender and my loan would come out of default status. This was almost two years ago. I contacted them in June or July of 2013 to ask when my loan would be sent to a lender and taken out of default and the agent on the other end of the phone told me that I had to make 9 on time payments and that I had only made six. I know I have been making payments of 99 dollars for over a year now. About two months after speaking with the agent, I received a packet in the mail saying congratulations and that I needed to fill out the packet and return it as soon as possible to them and that I must still make payments until my loan was serviced by another lender. This was in August or September of 2013. I have not heard anything from them yet.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

This is a response to the former worker: no, they do NOT only contact references you listed, they will contact anyone whose number they can get who is associated with you, unless you let them know that you know that is illegal. I specifically informed them that I could not receive calls at work, did not provide that number, and they looked it up and called anyway. They also tried calling a FB friend of someone I know with a student loan who had their profile as 'public' (they've since gone private). They can leave a message, it is just a really time consuming task since they have to do the "If you are not this person, hang up" safety precaution. Since the phone numbers that appear on your caller ID do not actually lead to Performant, and they don't leave a message, it's impossible to know that they called unless you happen to be there to answer your phone.

As for calling them back, good luck, I've spent 10 - 20 minutes on hold each call for 3 business days in a row. Last but not least, if the exorbitant penalties and fees have made the loan too large to be paid off without severe hardship, you can claim it in a bankruptcy. Now I think I'll just contact the FL Dept of Education, tell them their collection agency is a major fraud and deliberately tries to put people in the position of non-voluntary payment, and see if they'll pull my loan back and work with me directly.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2013

I switched carriers in July. This is now Oct. I paid T-Mobile the past due balance and the monthly balance of my account. All I owed them was $600 left. So this morning, I got a call from Chris at this company (Diversified Collection Services, Inc.) in Charlotte 800-771-5361 at 8:06 am. The call was less than 4 minutes long. When I told him I could not make payment weekly or bi-weekly, he got rude. Then he said I could do monthly so I told him that was fine but I couldn't start till November. I know I owe the money, but he said, "Well, it is clear that you don't want to settle this amount," and got rude, then hung up. I called T-Mobile. Of course, the account is sold to this company and they could not help me. I have been a customer of T-Mobile for years and to be treated this way over a $200 per line fee of connect after being a customer for over 10 years. WOW.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

I am a former employee of DCS/Performant Recovery. Let me start with this. There are some bad people that work there. Yes, but in all fairness, they are doing their job. If you took out the loan then you have to pay it back, period. That company has no right to take money out of your account without your permission. That is against the law. The only ones that can take your pay is the government. So if you have a student loan that is a staffered then that's why your income tax is gone. That is no one's fault but your own. As far as calling your references, you listed them. You gave permission to contact them and as far them calling your neighbors, that is not against the law. Now what is against the law is if they say why they are calling and give out personal information without your consent.

They don't leave messages on voicemail due to privacy act so asking your boss to talk to them for you will get you nowhere. Now let me tell you what you can do. If you take control of the call then that leaves the collector without a way to talk or butt in. Don't ask for a supervisor because that is just the person that sits next to them. Half the time, most collectors are nice and will work with you. Just remember they won't get paid extra for clearing the account so really you're in control, you just don't know it. There are laws that protect you but again be smart about it. Cussing and yelling only makes you the fool, not them.

If you have an attorney then give out the information, the calls will stop and they have to call the attorney and not you. There is a 10-day no call that will be put on the account. That is enough time to get your affairs in order to deal with collectors. The real reason for this is to help people to deal with bad collectors. You can call the police but some will just say if you owe the money then pay it. You signed a legal doc to have phone calls and call ref so again it's up to you how you handle it. Good luck.

Original review: May 26, 2013

I am posting this on behalf of my elderly mother, June **. The New York City Environmental Control Board is charging my mother over a thousand dollars in violations for tickets she never received because unknown pedestrians left "paper cups" and "napkins" on the street in front of her house. She was away in Washington, DC, undergoing double hip implant surgery during the six-month period in question. The judge's ruling got Diversified Collection involved as the collecting agency. I think the letter to the Judge I am typing on my mother's behalf tells the story best:

Attached please find receipts for violation numbers **, **, **, ** and **. The preceding fines were paid in October and November of 2012 to Performant Recovery, Inc., North Canyon Parkway, Suite 100, Livermore, California 94551 (Formally Diversified Collection Services, Inc., - D.C.I. Inc. P.O. Box 9057, Pleasanton, California, 94566-9057). Collector's name is **, phone number 1 (800) 866-5317. They repeatedly claimed to have never received any money from me. That is not so, as you can see from the accompanying receipts. I went to E.C.B. in November of 2012, as they had not received any money from Performant. They said I could pay the $300 for each infraction. E.C.B. looked up my violations and noted that several had been paid already and at least one was duplicated from the Performant listing.

I wrote to Performant and asked them to forward my payments to E.C.B. (see enclosed letter) and send me the receipts. I have been waiting now for seven months. Performant then assigned me a new account number, further clouding and burying the original item identifiers. I subsequently paid for a trace to be put on the money orders (see accompanying receipts) by the issuing company, which identified the amounts and the dates they were cashed and where. About three weeks ago, I received a bill for $1,989.04. The expiration date for the E.C.B. fines to be paid was December 2012. The start date for Performant's involvement was January 2013, at which time Performant would handily be able to charge me the inflated prices.

Yesterday, I received another letter from Performant Recovery that claims that I owe them $2671.98 as of May 19, 2013. How can Performant continue to add interest and other charges that may vary from day to day in May 2013 for infractions that I paid back in October and November of 2012? Please help me out of this dilemma. It is neither fair nor just that I should be taken advantage of and mistreated in this situation. Attached please find my supporting documentation. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Diversified Collection Services, Inc. Company Information

n

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business