The Right One

Compare Matchmaking Services

Research top Matchmaking Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The Right One was better than other dating services (based in Dallas), but now out of business. Women I met through them had similar interests/hobbies and same ethnic/race and religion (unlike may services I have used). They went out of business before my contract was up (they broke the contract), and disappeared where I do not know who to contact to get a refund. A different dating service has taken over their telephone number and disavows all knowledge of the Right One.

I signed up for 20 referrals with unlimited hold time in July 2010... Yes, I paid WAY too much money. I put my referrals on hold in Aug of 2010. When I tried to contact them again in 2012, I couldn't get a hold of anyone. I called, sent repeated emails and even drove over to the office. I found out they closed down and reopened as another dating service. How do we go after these people who are taking our money?

Yes, like so many others, I was duped. I became a "VIP" client in 2008 with all the assurances of matching me from a roster of pre-qualified candidates of which I was told there were many. I was drawn to this service by their so-called screening process having faith in Brenan **, their head matchmaker. She was incredibly convincing. Needless to say, the few dates I had were not even a close match. I had a similar experience to all these other reviewers and would be more than happy to be included in a class action lawsuit. If for nothing else than to put them out of business and prevent others from paying large sums of money for nothing but hollow promises.

The short version is, I fell for the sales pitch and got talked out of $2000 by this company which then made no effort to match me accurately. (I basically had one criterion, wasn't looking to have or raise kids.) They told me they couldn't match me, *after* they'd already taken my money. Then they closed up shop and passed their contacts (except me) along to another company. I found out this is all orchestrated by one guy. His name is Paul **, and every few years he shuts down one dating company and opens another to make it difficult for people to sue him or put together a class action suit. But I'm going to try.

Paid lots of money for a lifetime membership with unlimited holds on my account. Decided to take my account off hold and now there is no company to do the matchmaking. The company should give everyone a refund since they have broken contracts. If it's possible to bring a class action lawsuit against this company, I want in on it. What a scam!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Right One?

I paid them $2500 (through finance company) and went on ONE date. All the other matches (or supposed matches) didn't match at all!! They breached my contract by giving out my info/phone number without my approval and now 6 yrs later, the collections company is still trying to collect its money even though I cancelled my relationship with The Right One. I would NEVER do business with anyone affiliated with them. There should be a class action suit against them for Fraud and theft.

I agree with every other complaint against this business and experienced the same thing. I am embarrassed to say they talked me out of $4,000 and although I cancelled my membership two weeks later, I was never able to get a refund. They definitely tricked me into signing on to something they never delivered. They will have very bad karma one day.

I signed up for 10 dates in June 2007 after an interview in Woburn, MA with matchmaker Serena. They set me up with two dates. One was absolutely horrible so they agreed to forget that as part of my total number of dates. After that I never heard back from them. As time went on I was very busy with work and family. But as a widow, I was lonely and wanted to get back into the dating scene again. When I try to reconnect with them I found out they no longer existed.

I connected with eLove since it appeared that to work it is eLove were linked. However the people at eLove told me they are not connected in anyway. If there is a class action lawsuit against them I would like to get involved. I work hard for my money and $3000 was a lot to take from me. They did not keep up their end of the contract either. Thank you very much.

I signed up with The Right One in 2006. During the initial meeting with staff, I told the staff I wanted to sign up for the Silver membership level (about $5,200) and signed the contract. They took my credit card into another room and told me they had signed me up for the Gold level at $8,000. This put my card over its limit. (I don't know why the credit card company didn't decline the payment.) I asked for a refund and was refused. When I complained to the state Attorney General and the BBB, this company basically told them, "He signed the contract, so he can't get out."

Fast forward a few years. I had lost my job and couldn't afford to go on dates every week, so the company said my account could be put on temporary hold until I was ready to resume using the service. I called the company today (it's now called E-Love) to reactivate my account. The Colorado Springs number listed on the web now goes to a fax machine. The Denver number is disconnected. Another dating service is in the Denver office, but it's unrelated to The Right One/Together Dating/E-Love, etc. I called the corporate office in Dallas but the phone rang just once then disconnected.

Ripped off for $1000: The short version is this putrid company lied to me about being able to match me with compatible people until they'd already taken my money. To this date, over 10 years later, I am still waiting for an accurate match.

I joined The Right One in late 2006. From the start, I began receiving matches one to two times a week. Several matches did not go beyond the first phone call, but I did have many enjoyable dates with nice women. Two relationships resulted from my membership. The first was with a dental hygienist that only lasted about six months because of the baggage she still carried from two divorces. The second though was with the woman that has been living with me for the last five years. So overall, The Right One did live up to the terms of the agreement. Make no mistake though; the operation is set up to extract as much money from its clients as possible. I was contacted on multiple occasions with special offers to enhance the level of service they provided. Turning them down was all that was required. It sounds like their company has changed considerably as the economy has gone south.

I paid thousands of dollars for introductions, and where is this company? Where are the introductions? Is there a class action suit?

These people are liars and cheaters. They make you sign a statement saying that you will not disclose the fee you pay because they charge different fees. They matched me up with a married man! Every phone number I call is listed as "not allocated" and I can't seem to find them anywhere in Utah anymore. What a bunch of crap. Even the number for the corporate office in Dallas, TX says that it is "not allocated".

I wrote The Right One a letter in March of last year explaining how unhappy I was that they matched me with a married man. The other matches they had sent me were totally unacceptable that I did not trust them any longer and felt they had breached their contract several times and it was no longer valid. I have had not heard a word other than from a collection agency called Universal Data Services, LLC, claiming they are collecting payment for Lully/DBA The Right One. I am in the process of filing a claim in Small Claims Court. I would love to be part of a class action suit against these crooks.

I, too, would love to be part of a class action suit against The Right One. Any lawyers out there ready to take this on? I was bullied before I even got to my initial appointment. Some guy from Dallas was calling me to ensure I was on my way to my appointment and was schmoozing me the whole way. I should have figured something was up then. But I thought I could listen to the spiel and then make up my mind. One can always say no, right? Once I got there, the individual interviewing me would not let me leave until I signed a contract. I felt so bullied and badgered that I was crying trying to get out of the office. Finally, I signed a contract that stated if I "do not go on hold within none of the 20 (referrals), I had a money back guarantee" and it was signed by the interviewer. I was told I could not disclose the amount of money they charged me, so I won't say what I lost - but it was a lot. I was with them for over 2 years with only 11 referrals. They told me it was only 6 referrals.

Most of the referrals did not match up to my requirements, including local area only. Whenever I would call them, they would put me on hold or not answer my calls or return them. I let them know on many occasions that I was not happy with their company and promises. I paid $19.95 a month for these 2 years as well for some "Universal Fee". Finally, last September 2011, I got an email notifying me that they are no longer doing business in CO. They offered me another dating service which was located 70+ miles away. I have been fuming ever since I got the email. They will not return any phone calls. The Universal Fee people have been hounding me about refuting the charges with my credit card company. They have even given me The Right One's phone number in Utah, but the phone rings off the hook with no answering machine. I want my money back in full!

The actions of this company has made me lose faith in signing any type of contract again. I have had many sleepless nights thinking about how stupid I was to get roped into this mess! Please help! I'm even uncertain about posting this. Is this another scam?

The Right One is running quite the scam. I am curious to figure out if eLove and Lully Babe is involved with them. Do not sign up for any of the services offered by any of these companies or you will be sorry. If you are able file a formal complaint with the Texas Attorney General's office against The Right One (they are operating out of Texas), file one and also file a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Your money is most likely gone but hopefully by filing enough complaints someone will shut these companies down for good! I am not sure why Texas is protecting The Right One but it is very difficult to find out who the owner of the company is and/or managing members. There are probably legit dating services out there but these are not some of them. If anyone is looking at filing a class action lawsuit against The Right One, please post it here, I would love to join in!

I signed up for this service and I have been completely violated by The Right One. They took my money and set me up with convicted felons. I called them on the carpet about it and I haven't heard from them since. I have been trying to get my money back for over a year and nothing. I get a call today from eLove and they want to extend my services. I asked them to refund my money and they said no. I asked what happened to The Right One and they said, "We don't know." Then how would they get my contact information? This is a total scam. I am contacting the attorney general office here in Utah and hopefully they can figure it out.

This was the most horrible experience I have ever been through. Just like the rest of the people on here, this is a scam. After lots of searching, I came across a phone number, which was a Dallas Dating Service, who gave me another number who is eDating company (801-618-1314), which was very helpful and nice. They told me, I had 8 more introductions left and they would honor them. However, I told them that was nice, yet I was in no mood to go through this again.

She gave me a phone number to UGA, who is the finance company taking money out of my account, (888-233-2302). He was very rude and not helpful at all. He told me he could help me if I gave him my account number with UGA (which I never received), or my social security number. Umm, no thanks. I called my bank and put a fraud claim in with them. It is sad these people exist!

It was 2000, I had just moved to Dallas and had gotten an invitation to be interviewed to be a part of this dating service. I was 20 years old and a naive girl from Iowa. At the end of the interview I was pretty excited I would be getting to meet people in this new place I was in. The drive home was about twenty minutes and in that duration I decided it was ridiculous and had no business spending 6000k to get a date nor did I really need to. So I called my bank and cancelled the payment, end of story. So I thought until today, when my phone rang.

The creditor on the other end was asking for me by my maiden name. I've been married for 8 years and have a child for Pete's sake. I was informed I was being offered a settlement of 50% so all I had to pay was $3000; really? For a service I never for one second used? Wow, that's awesome! I said, "No. thank you, I will not be paying a dime." She said, "Is that your final statement declining payment?" I said, "Yes ma'am." So I was then told I would be contacted soon and told how they would proceed further and what kind of action they will choose. Buyers Remorse at its finest, ladies and gentlemen.

I signed up for The Right One in May 2011. I also signed a contract with same story of $5,400 and I said I couldn't afford it. So, the same story, "let's see what we can do". They came back with $1,200 dollars. I signed the contract and I have only received 2 matches. One that was not a match at all, and the other was a convicted felon (I found out through a friend that was dating is brother).

I called The Right One and said 'This is not acceptable'. They said it was not their job to screen applicants to that extent. I also said 2 matches is not living up to your part of the agreement, and they said it was my responsibility to call them. You try and call there is no answer, you go to the office and it is all locked up. I also financed through Universal and they don't get back to you either. I have called the help desk many times with no response. I am unemployed and cannot pay for a service that I did not receive. There needs to be a class action suit against this company that continues to scam people, and not provide any service or deliver what they have promised!

I signed up with TRO almost 3 years ago. During that time, they've provided about 5 or 6 names and the gentlemen and I spoke. I met two of them in person and I had been told that if I spoke with someone and didn't meet in person, that would not count toward the number of contacts that I was allowed. Months went by without me hearing from them. The last time they referred a man to me, he most certainly did not meet any of my requirements. When I mentioned that to them, they told me that he was a match and that I'd had 16 referrals, which was not true. I asked them to provide the names and I have not heard from them since. I'd love it if we, the injured parties, could investigate the possibility of a class-action lawsuit. I'm in my 70s and when I questioned the possibility of finding someone in my age range, I was assured that it would not be a problem. They have no shame. I'm out of a lot of money and I have had my trust violated. At one time, I mentioned that I felt I'd been scammed which, of course, they vehemently denied.

What a fluke! They make you feel like there are many people out there that you will have chance to meet. The problem is they don't care. They put your info into a system. And whoever comes up, comes up. They ask you what you are looking for, but they don't pay any attention to what you want. They set me up with women that had children living at home with them. The appearance I asked for was never followed. I could go on and on with the phone calls I made to the right one and the conversations I had with them. But all I am going to say is that I would never use them again. It was the worst company I have ever used. Please save yourself the heartache. Your matches could scare you.

I bought a membership and have not heard from then since April 2011. I live in Salt Lake City, UT. They do not answer any of their phone numbers and their 1-800 number goes to Dallas Singles? Does anyone know how to contact them? I spent a lot of money!

I already posted and am amending my post. Their corporate office has agreed to try to work with me after my extremely negative experience with their matchmaking service. As part of this agreement, I am supposed to remove all of my complaint and posts about eLove, a.k.a. The Right One. I am unable to remove my complaint. So, I am submitting a follow-up, stating that they are trying to provide a better service than what was originally provided. I'll update after they follow through.

I paid $5600 to join. I have never been sent any information. I have called and e-mailed to no avail.

The idea seemed great. I liked the concept of what they were offering. They seemed to be trying to really work with me at first. It started to seem as if they would only provide me with matches if they got someone new to join. It seemed that when I spoke to the matches they referred to me, they were all new to the service. I placed my membership on hold for several months. Then after I reactivated it, I got 3 matches right away, then 1 a few months later. I haven't heard anything at all from The Right One since May. I have sent emails with no response. I've gone to their office during business hours only to find the lights out and doors locked. I tried to call multiple times. The first few times were going to a fax tone after several rings, then no answer at all on the most recent attempts to call. I paid a lot of money and was promised great things. But I have received no results from this company with regards to dating and being matched with my "Right One."

I ditto to all the complaints made by others that this company has done to them and me. It feels like such a scam with all the promises made, agreement breaches, no follow-through and nothing met in paper or verbal. The right one bragged that they were better than any other online dating service but they are actually worse and have not returned any communication made to them from me.

What a ripoff. I'm interested in a class action and contacting the local media for consumers, i.e. the local news!

STAY AWAY!!! The Right One is a scam. The short story:

1) I found The Right One through a website called singlesofsaltlakecity.com only to find out that their company name was different when I showed up so I couldn't do research prior to their interview.

2) They promised me introductory rates and presented me with the options $5350 and something higher than that. I felt I negotiated well and found out later that I was only scammed of $800.

3) I signed a contract and they told me that the next day someone would be calling me with referrals.

4) I cancelled my contract the next day by email when no one called me. When they responded to my email, they told me that they were either too busy or sick to call me with my referrals and to give them another chance.

5) They wouldn't cancel my contract so I could get half of it back and they rejected my registered cancellation letter TWICE! I complained to the BBB and filed a dispute with my credit card company.

6) In case it was an honest mistake, I held off taking further action until I received their rebuttal (sent from their corporate office) saying I had received two referrals before I cancelled my contract and I wasn't elegible for any refund, which is a big fat lie. (They couldn't back their lie with proof, and I had the emails where they admitted to not being able to send the referrals.) When they lied, I knew it wasn't an honest mistake, and they were liars and cheats. I filed a complaint with the attorney general's office.

7) The complaint with the BBB is still in the second round and I have yet to hear back from my credit card company. I hope to hear from the attorney general's office soon.

After heavy pressure, I signed a contract with The Right One. I made a $200 down payment on 7/11/2006 with the promise that services would be provided by 8/15/2006. I not once received a referral. By September, I was in a relationship with an acquaintance from elsewhere. I sent a letter on 9/9/2006 telling The Right One to place my membership on hold indefinitely.

I felt I had been scammed so I made no further payments. Now in 2011, I am receiving collection notices from Universal Data Services for the remainder of the contract all while never having received any services whatsoever from The Right One.

I am trying to improve my credit rating after bankruptcy in 2010 and having this scam on my credit report does not help.

The Right One contacted me for several months trying to set up a consultation. I believe someone I knew gave them my information. They gave me a strong sales pitch and were very knowledgeable about the dating scene and my personality type. I was impressed. I signed a contract. Then they started setting me up with women that were not my type. No offense but I was not attracted to them and several were much larger than me. I'm a very active person and that's what I wanted. When I complained about it to the Right One the lady got upset, saying love is about more than physical attraction. "Isn't that my choice? " Of course she was easily 100 pounds overweight. When I didn't actively date for a month or so, they threatened to deactivate my account temporarily. They would not refund my money, which was outrageous. My final complaint: They showed me a "success" book in the waiting room with letters and stories about people finding someone special and getting married, etc. Two of the stories were exactly the same, word for word, but written in different font with different names!!!!! Don't sign up with The Right One!! You will regret it. I paid out $2500 plus a $72 a month ongoing service fee. This was a huge hit and sacrifice for me. I couldn't sleep at night knowing the money was gone. It was terrible. And I'm still single.

I was trying to find a dating site and I ran across this one called The Right One. Well, it's the wrong one. First I go in and I fill out the paper work. Mind you, this was only going to take 90 minutes. Then I get taken back for this interview and it goes on and on 2 hours. Finally, I said, “Well how much is this going to cost?” She goes on with more info. So about 2 and a half hours later she gives me the price and the lowest is $5,400. Sso she said I’ll give you so time to think about it. I said I don't need any time; I can't afford this at all. Now she asked me, there are other ways around this cost.

So she walks out and talks to her boss. He comes in the room. Well, we really want to sign you up because we really don't have very many blacks in our program. So could you right now afford $400? I said no. I’m trying to move and I have no idea how much it will cost me, so I really can't afford anything.

He asked what I can afford on my next payday. I said maybe $200. So he gets all my account info and said we will get out of your account on payday. Now he says, “How much can you afford each month?” I said maybe $40. He said I have to promise not to tell anyone of the price he’s giving me. He said, “I’ll let you become a member for $49.92 a month for 24 months, that will be $1200.00.” So I give in.

He has me fill out this loan application from Universal Guardian Acceptance, LLC Retail Installment contract on 7/22/2010. He said I won't have to make any payments till 9/1/2010. So I get the first bill and I misplaced it somewhere I don't find till after I get a phone call saying, “We can lower your membership fee to $800. We'll just take $400.00 this payday and $400.00 next payday.” So like a dummy I said ok.

The first time it was ok. I really couldn't afford it, but oh well. It's getting close to the next payment, so I call them and tell them not to take anymore money out of my account until I get a receipt from the first $400. So payday comes and no receipt. They take another $400 out of my account. Now my checking account is overdrawn and so far it's cost me $78.00. Is there anything that can be done about this business? It's cost me $78.00 in overdrafts so far and they act like it is too bad for me. I’m still waiting for the receipt. Please call if there is anything that I can do.

The Right One Company Profile