Compare Online Dating Websites & Services

Research top Online Dating Websites & Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Defrauded by - I ordered an membership for 1 month for £24.95 on 26.05.2016. After 5 days deleted my profile. also canceled my automatic payments, but until now I didn't get back my money. OK, it is about 6 days now (today, 01.06.2016) but they also didn't write back to me. What are we able to do against this load of crap? I will call up all the people who also get defrauded by this swindler. Does anyone have a plan to fight against them by law? Or is it impossible? Otherwise if we are not able to win we have to stand up and hire a hacker or killer to get them down as they have deserved.

Satisfaction Rating is a total scam; some of the profiles are real but most are fakes made by Matchmaker itself. Initially it's free but you have to pay to see "messages" sent by other "members." I received several about 10 messages, all generic "how was your day" or something similar. The messages were from members hundreds of miles away, and no one ever responded if I messaged them back. This proves Matchmaker is committing fraud by sending messages to scam people, but good luck getting your money back.

I am trying to fill on form on and when I do all that, it then said go to step 3 to add my picture. Nothing happens and I need to fill it all over again and again it will not let me go to step 3.

I signed up on a friend's recommendation in June for six months. I was very specific about age ranges/geographic location of my desired matches. None of the men who have "contacted" me have any college (a requirement in my profile). None of them lived within 30 miles, 99.9% say they are in "construction". None of them ever had anything to say anything beyond "Hi, how are you today?" Suspicious yet?? Huge red flag. The one person I tried to send email to saying that he was way too young and lived too far away responded saying that "he hadn't joined yet so couldn't read my email, could I call him."

I think this company gave away subscriptions or created phony ones to lure people in and inflate subscription numbers. When I attempted to call and cancel my six-month contract, they wouldn't consider any sort of rebate, and the email I sent came back with grammatical errors, leading me to believe that they are a bogus Indian company. Long story short, their idea of resolution is to cancel my membership with no refund. People, be aware, this company and the so-called website is a total piece of phony crap, and they should be investigated/put out of business. Good grief!

Aside from their extremely odd business model, which I take full responsibility for trying, (a fool and her money...) they tell you never to call them (only OK to call them BEFORE you send them money, NEVER after). You're supposed to email them. You can email them until hell freezes over then you will NOT get a response. They pretend to note what you're looking for, and will possibly match you with the males if you asked for males, but beyond that, there is only a remote chance that the 'match' will have any of the qualities you want. You're better off at home wishing really hard for a date than spending your money with these bozzos.

They told me over the phone (when they were friendly and responsive, and full of horse feathers) that the programs started at $500. In person, the programs started at $2700. They went through an elaborate, no doubt scripted deal, where they said, "OH! We must have heard you say you were 62 (I'm 52), and we offered you the 'senior citizen introductory plan.'" The same woman who 'heard' me say 62 also agreed that men age 47 - 57 were perfect for me! REALLY??? 47 year old men want to date 62 year old women???? They're banking on our stupidity. Don't play their game.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I had a subscription to for 3 months because I found a discount. After that 3 months, I was contacted by them via email and this is what they said: "Update your credit card info. Time is running out! The credit card that you used when joining will expire soon. This is your last chance to update your credit card information before your membership may be cancelled. Gold Members receive the highest ranking in our search results and therefore, have the greatest chance of being noticed. Your subscription will expire on 2013-12-03. UPDATE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION NOW".

When I received my latest credit card statement, there was a $50.00 charge on 12-3-13 from matchmaker! I contacted them via email and phone as to why they charged me as the email stated my subscription was going to expire AND they did not have current credit card information. They stated that it was automatically renewed and there is no refund policy. I argued the point that there were TWO reasons why I should receive a refund: 1) the email stated my subscription would expire on 12-3-13 and 2) they did not have current credit card information and, therefore, why would I have to contact them to cancel a renewal?

They again replied there is no refund policy and all subscriptions automatically renew. I asked to speak with a manager and he told me he was a supervisor and that he was the final point of contact. I repeatedly asked for a manager and he refused to transfer me. Not only is this company a scam and a fraud, but they are holding my money hostage by outright refusing to allow me to speak with someone at the manager level AND refusing to refund my money!

This place in Grand Rapids, Michigan is a total scam!!! I was separated from my husband when I went there for a meeting with the "owner" Kim **. I filled out the necessary forms and paid $500 (which was very difficult for me being on my own). She told me about 3 potential matches which of course sounded great! I went on only 1 date, and the man was nice but he had none of the qualities that I had put down on the forms I filled out. I never was matched with any of the 3 men that she originally told me about. My "date" also said that he had never been matched with any of the women that he was initially told about either! My husband and I got back together and I informed Matchmaker of this. About 5 months later, I received a letter from a collection agency saying that I owed Matchmaker $2400! I have hired an attorney to help me with this. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE, YOU WILL BE RIPPED OFF!!!!!

I have sent a number of emails to complaining about how terrible their service is (in all the time I have had it, I have not gotten even one real connection from anyone) that it borders on fraud and that I would expect to receive full refund as a show of customer fairness. Here is an example of how terrible the service at is. I received this email from their Admin Dept: "We matched you with debbyinphilly and she said yes. She'd like to meet you. Take the next step and see if the attraction is mutual." When I clicked on the member link, the Admin sent me here and this is what I found: Joyful308 (Deleted). The profile you are trying to access has been deleted and is unavailable for viewing. Members delete their profiles when they have found their soulmate.

They actually send me a supposed response from a member that doesn't exist which is total misrepresentation of their service. Here is the response I received from them. As you can see, they take no responsibility for their incompetence and are dedicated to keeping every penny they receive. "When you upgraded your account, you agreed to the terms of the program, which state that your membership will automatically renew every 30, 60, 90,180 or 365 days depending on your program selection, until your membership is cancelled. This was stated at the bottom of the secure billing page and again in the confirmation letter you received upon receipt of your payment. By submitting your payment information, you have stated that you have read, understood and agreed to all billing terms presented. For this reason, we are unable to provide a refund to your account. Thank you for your business."

In 1992, I paid up-front for the service and got nothing. I contacted the company directly and they said they would give me my money back. I ended up taking them to court in Texas and won my case. The company packed up and moved out of the state and didn't pay. I have all the documents. Now that the internet is available, I can make a louder noise than I was previously capable of.

I found them online. I signed up online for what I thought was a free service. Someone called me and made an appointment for a personal interview. I went through what they said they could do. I was very impressed. I was told the price was $10,700. I thought and said that that seemed awfully steep and didn't they have some else less expensive? She said no and that everyone pays the same. I signed up figuring that at least, if people had to pay that high a price that at least you would get quality people.

I also told them no smokers please and at least 5'8". The very first person I met was a smoker and maybe at one time in his life he might have been 5'8". Another gentleman could never be reached. I went back to their office several times to ask them to send me more than one connection a month. They said they would but never came through. Also, they tell you not to discuss what you had to pay for the service. Now, I understand why. I never asked anyone what they paid. It was offered in conversation.

One man paid by the month, which was never offered to me. I need to pay right up front and didn't I have a credit card I could use? At any rate, that man paid either $100 or $150 a month and could stop anytime he wanted to. The other man said he paid $3000 for the same thing I paid almost $11,000 for (did she see me coming or what?) I asked the people at MatchMaker about the difference, which was never offered to me even when I asked for something less expensive. They said that the one man bought someone else's which was never offered or mentioned to me. I called the owner in Florida and got a voice mail, left a message. She never called back. The office that I was working through did call and was not happy that I had tried to reach the owner. They said I could. They would try to sell my membership but only for a short length of time.

The last time I went into their office, they were rude and not willing to do anything. I really feel I was taken advantage of. Yes, I am a grown woman but I also believe in people when they tell me something, which was a big mistake in this case. I could have found a better quality of people on my own. That's why I went there as I figured if everyone paid that price, as they told me they did, I would find someone decent. I really felt I was cheated by their slick ways and pretending to be nice and care about you. I realized everyone needs to make a living but it shouldn't be by deceiving others.

Can you help get my money back and get the word out to others about their deceitful ways? If you need more evidence, I know someone who signed up there and had a similar outcome and would be glad to help with any investigation if necessary. Thank you for anything you are able to do.

I'm writing to add my opposition to these people scamming others. Fortunately, I'm just smart enough not to have been taken in before I spent money. I have confirmed that this company is creating fake profiles, with pictures and information stolen from other dating sites, in order to get other hopefuls to pay them to get access to email messages from the phantoms. There are currently several recognizable fake profiles there from the D.C. area alone. The scam is simple: you sign up and create a profile for free. They wait a day or two, then send a fake email message from one of their false profiles that fits your desires. When you try to view the message, you find that it will cost you $35 to do so. In my case, I instantly recognized the picture attached to the message, contacted the woman through other means, and confirmed that she didn't even know that a profile for her had been set up on matchmaker. This is not an instance of someone else committing fraud against Matchmaker. This is obviously the company themselves.

they took money from my bank account without notifying me. they used false advertising to trick me into thinking i was buying "Subscription Plan: 1 month for $34.95 USD " ...and then when the month was up they just took another 34.95 again without notifying me. they dont have a phone number listed.

My partner and I use a unique email address to communicate with one other party, and no-one other than this person uses that email address. That unique email address has been registered as a free entry with, we have called asking for the IP address of the computer used to register our email address but they say it is confidential information.

I have since looked at the matchmaker site and can see that anyone can register any email address with no verfification ..... how can we stop this hapening or at least prove the computer that was used to register on the site.

The party concerned is the father of our daughter who has limited visitation. We have now received over 200 unsolicited emails on our email now all of which started straight after the Matchmaker registration.

Expert Review

Mark BrooksOnline Dating & Matchmaking Contributing Editor

Harvard Business School graduate, Mark Brooks, has been an expert in the Internet dating business since 1998. He is currently the CEO of Courtland Brooks, a consultancy agency for the Internet dating industry, and runs He prides himself on being a New Media Futurist and can be reached at LinkedIn.    More about Mark→, launched in 1996, is one of the oldest dating sites on the Internet. The company is intended for users 35 and older.

• Free membership: It costs nothing to join Matchmaker, making it is one of the best options for anyone looking for a budget-friendly matchmaking option.
  • Relationship focused: The company is focused on pairing people looking for serious relationships, which means users won't be disappointed by users with different expectations.
  • Local pairings: The site requires users to enter information about where they live or where they are located and offers users potential pairs by proximity, which makes it easy to find singles in a specific area.
  • Complicated algorithm: Matches are made by a complicated algorithm that takes into account more than 50 aspects of a person's personality, making it more likely to find a good match.
  • Multiple religious included: can pair people based on their religion, and there are people of a wide variety of religions on the site; the site has specific sections for users who are Christian or Jewish.
  • Best for Single young people looking for a relationship, and divorcees or widows/widowers looking for new love.

Compare Online Dating Websites & Services Company Profile