LifeMates is the nation's largest and leading personalized relationship service. We focus on bringing together single men and women who are serious about forming long-lasting and loving relationships. Our members choose us because they want to meet high quality people. We employ the nation's most experienced matchmakers who excel in what they do. We pride ourselves on providing thousands of member-approved introductions a month and are pleased to deliver the highest success rate in the industry.

Compare Matchmaking Services

Research top Matchmaking Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I registered with Lifemates Canada in Calgary in 2014 and met with a Babs. She and I engaged in an extensive interview and I provided her with a lot of information. She was very persuasive and convinced me that my best chance to find an individual suited to me was to buy a lifetime membership for $5000.00. I am not a wealthy woman but I really had confidence in the organization so I made the purchase. The 4 men I was asked to meet with either did not respond to my phone calls, they decided I was not the right person for them and vice versa.

I ended up putting my account on hold and was told to contact them when I was ready. I have now been trying to contact Lifemates via the 800 number (nobody ever answers... Only one time the message came on and when I tried to leave a message it said the mailbox was full). I sent a letter to Babs at the Lifemates location here in Calgary on Macleod Trail and the letter was returned as non deliverable. I do not understand how this business continues to operate. No calls returned, no emails returned either (I've sent three) and no communication whatsoever. Is this a lifetime contract??? I find it outrageous and humiliating and I see from the complaints that I am not the only person this has happened to. Buyer beware! I want a Lifemates representative to call me or email me and I want my account reinstated or I want my money back.

If you are a middle-aged woman, be warned and do not sign up with this fraudulent dating organization. I signed up and paid them over $5,033 in February 2015 and a year and a half later they have only set me up with 5 coffee dates. Thus far, on average these so called matches cost me over $1,000 per coffee. I was extensively interviewed by someone in the Calgary office by the name of Barb. Barb mentioned to me that I will have a date at least every 6 weeks; because I was pretty, slim, healthy and fit. She was great at giving compliments during the interview. They referred me to a professional photographer for photos, which cost an additional $100. Why? Entrapment? They do not share the photos with any potential matches. I was encouraged to provide a description and details of the men that I would like to be matched with.

My preference was someone healthy and fit, with a university degree, not religious and not bald. The five matches included men who had no degree, men with health issues, an evangelical religious man and someone who was bald. If Barb interviews any of you please heed the reviews before executing a contact with Lifemates. They do not adhere to their so-called contracts. Barb is not truthful. Also, I would advise that you request a business card with a local phone number for direct contact with the interviewer; as the Lifemate staff contacts are out-of-province, with alias names. They do business from afar. I have phoned and emailed them numerous times with respect to setting me up with another match. They are not returning any of my queries. My last so-called match was over 7 months ago.

I was so fed up with the poor customer service and lack of matches I was receiving I decided to go to Small Claims Court to get my money back. When I went to serve the papers at the Ottawa location I found a notice on the door saying that they had to vacate the premises because they hadn't paid their rent. I called the property manager who told me that they were in receivership. After making my own inquiries I found out that if you pay for the service on your credit card you might be able to contact them and request your money back. Otherwise you're probably out of luck. Don't join because you won't get what you promised. FYI Elite Singles online is the same company as Lifemates!

I agree with so many other dissatisfied clients. There's no matching done here at all. They didn't even come close. I think they threw darts at a board. But the fact that they charge women 10x the amount they charge men is very sexist! I was charged around $5000 and every guy from there I spoke to was charged around $500. I wish I would have read all these comments before I signed up with them in 2014. T-O-T-A-L WASTE OF MONEY!!!

I joined Lifemates in August 2014 for $5033.70. Though there was an extensive questionnaire and interview process, and the interviewer encouraged me to be very specific in my search criteria, Lifemates never did provide me with anyone even close to the criteria I had specified. In 18 months, I was provided with 4 matches and one was 7 months after the one before. One of these matches had a life-threatening heart condition, although two of my top criteria were "healthy and active". Don't waste your money. There is a very limited database of middle-aged and healthy men, as reported to me from those four matches who all said they are called frequently with "matches" by Lifemates for this reason.

UPDATED ON 09/20/2016: I started a civil claim against Lifemates which had provided me with 4 matches in 19 months. There was very little compatibility in all four referrals. Now the COO of Elite Singles Canada, which owns Lifemates, has disputed my claim, falsely stating that Lifemates gave me 11 referrals. I will be going to court for resolution as I want my money back and hope no one else gets similarly scammed by the dishonesty and false product of Lifemates/Elite Singles.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifemates?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I signed up with Lifemates in December 2015. I paid 5,400$. For the service. Only one date since that was very far from expectations and what I requested. Four other contacts since then and some not available. The last one was rude and impolite on the phone. No one to one contacts with matchmakers after you sign the contract and pay your money. I did ask for a refund but was told that it would not be possible as they had offered me two matches already. This comment I hope will help others who are considering signing up with Lifemates. Definitely not a professional service. They do not deliver what they "Promise" to their clients. Cheap online dating services do a lot more!

I am so upset they steal $2300 from me and have matched me once and never ended up meeting the guy. It just never clicked. Either than that I have not heard from them since Nov 2015 and I have 1 year unlimited and still no matches. I will be talking to my credit card company about fraud because I didn't receive any of their service. They just stole the money and that's it. It's funny how at the beginning before you sign up they call you nonstop and now you don't hear from them at all once they take your money.

Do not spend the money for this service. I signed up a year ago and have been contacted by them once for a match. This match only occurred because I phoned after six months to find out what was going on. They gave me a contact the next day and when I asked why I had to phone them to make this happen, they basically said I got put at the top of the list because I complained at how long it was taking. The match did not work out and I have heard nothing since.

As with many others who have submitted reviews, I was led to believe during the initial "interview" that I would be "easy to match" and that there were "lots of members" who would fit what I was looking for. It is now almost six months into the process and I have had ONE match only and he didn't fit the criteria that I had requested when answering the questions during the intake interview. It take a great deal of courage to go out and seek assistance with finding a companion.

Lifemates also charges a considerable amount of money and promises the world which they DO NOT deliver on. I cannot believe that I am paying for a service who does not respond to emails, does not provide the level of service they promise during the initial interview, and do not provide matches based on the criteria that they specifically ask for. I am very, very dissatisfied with this service and would strongly recommend to anyone NOT to sign up for Lifemates. Their service is not worth $100 nor the thousands they charge.

I would not recommend Lifemates to anyone. I have had two matches both of which were totally incompatible. I have not had any other matches. I have been told that due to my age (60) matches may take longer. However, when I was first interviewed I was assured there was a large pool of men in the age group I was looking for, and that "You will do well." I call regularly and it is the same thing, "We are working on your file. We have no matches for you". My criteria is too specific, the age group is harder to match, the manager will not return my calls, and I feel that I have been ripped off. They will not refund a portion of what I paid.

Someone who regulates or oversees this consumer area should be looking into this company as they are not keeping up with their end of the bargain. I see this type of review over and over when I read the posted reviews online and have been told that they do not have a good reputation. I have invested $2,000+ with this company for matching and nothing. I can't even get past the receptionist. I was told the manager was away, then I was told she only calls back Monday to Thursday because Fridays are too busy and on and on.

I joined Lifemates in October 2015, so far till March 2016, I only got two referrals. I am in my early 30's, attractive with a decent career. The two referrals I got were both DISABLED and they are on DISABILITY TAX CREDIT. This is the most ridiculous thing happens to me in my entire life. I would definitely put them to court to get my money back. I was promised that because I am young, it would be easy and they gave me half price off. The two guys disabled, one in leg the other one multiple could not even say things clearly. I feel bad for them too.

I joined this extremely expensive Lifemates Website to find possible men looking for the same things in a dating relationship. My first referral told me I was too large for him which I found truly inappropriate behaviour for such a well-advertised referral plan. My next referral was on so many drugs that he was totally incoherent and confused. I called the agency and finally received a response after several attempts. My file information was totally incorrect and was told that I should receive better referrals based on this new information. My next referral was married and definitely not an eligible candidate for any kind of relationship.

I have tried numerous occasions to make contact with these people but it appears that once you sign on the dotted line and pay your very expensive membership fee they really don't care about anything including returning your calls. Definitely NOT recommended as a professional business. They say a lot and deliver minimal. Just trying to contact them was a chore. Total waste of time and money.

I signed up in Sept. 2014, and was told I would get a match every 4-6 weeks. I got my first one (and only one) October 10, 2015. The match was nothing like what I was supposed to be looking for, and I believe we only matched in location and age, and the fact that he was male. And that was it. Two months later I was given the name of a match, he didn't call me like he was supposed to. When I called him, he said he wasn't part of Lifemates (even though they claimed they called him and asked him if he would accept me as a date).

I repeatedly sent emails saying I wanted my money back, that I did not believe they were managing their part of the bargain, and they would respond by email with the statement "thanks for your feedback! We'll look for another match for you!" This tells me that they are not reading the feedback. Here it is 4 months later and when I called wanting my money back, they say: "Jackie's working on a match for you!" When I said I didn't want one, I wanted my money back, they said: "you can't, it's in the contract." I said I didn't believe the contract would read that they would promise me 10 matches 4-6 weeks apart, and then deliver only one in six months, and then say that that was them abiding by the contract. I don't believe the second one was even real.

After having a terrible experience w/ LifeMates I decided to check out reviews on the Internet (I know, too little too late). I was amazed how many times I read my own story. Here is my experience. I called LifeMates to enquire about their services but had to leave a message. When I received a callback the greatest point of interest was my financial situation. The next step was the in person interview. The person I spoke with on the phone told me to be very clear on my expectations and criteria so I made a list. During the interview the woman I spoke with kept telling me how easy it would be to match me using flattery and pressure to have me join immediately, at one point using the phrases "Are you serious about finding someone?" and "Don't you want to be happy?"

I'm over 50 and heavy which was part of why I went to LifeMates because I thought someone mature would appreciate the person without looking for Barbie, after all men also age. But she kept telling me I didn't look 50 and I carried my weight well, blah, blah, blah. She took down all my criteria, changed the height requirement I wanted because she said I was being too fussy and told me I could expect a call a month on average. I asked what the membership numbers were, wanting to have an idea of the pool they would be drawing from, statistically speaking. The interviewer said she didn't have that information but the welcome caller could answer that and any other questions I had. That seemed reasonable so I joined and I was excited.

It was a lot of money but I hadn't expected it to be cheap. The mandatory photograph came with the visa receipt which increased the cost by over $200.00, lousy stunt but OK I had gone that far so I signed up. The welcome caller calls and I ask her about the membership numbers and she can't give me that information so I ask why I was lied to and the runaround begins. I speak to a supervisor who apologizes and says they have thousands of male members who match my criteria but she can't be any more specific than that. I joined in May 2015, I was contacted a few weeks later regarding one match. The gentleman and I spoke on the phone but he was not a match to my criteria so it did not go further. I relayed my comments, as required, but heard nothing.

Six months passed without hearing anything so I called the office. The person I spoke to said they were working on my file but couldn't find a match so I asked how that was possible with 1,000s of members. She said she would have a supervisor call me. A few days went by and no call but alas another match. This gentlemen was completely out of my area so I refused the match. I received a call from a supervisor, called after that and was told I was negative and that I had to be more flexible if I wanted to be happy. She also told me at my age and size I was difficult to match and it would take longer.

So now I was the problem and their inability to find a match or to keep me informed or use my criteria was my fault. Quite a different story from the interview. Burning the $5,000.00 in the backyard would have been more productive. These people play on a person's vulnerabilities and mock the courage it takes to put oneself in a position to ask strangers for this type of help. They are immoral and should be criminal.

I joined Lifemates in February of 2015. It is now Feb 2016 and I have had 3 proposed dates. When I joined, I was told that I would have an average of at least 1 date per month which I thought was low, but I was willing to try the service. Also, because I was wanting someone 5'11" or taller, my chances were lower than other members. I did accept that, thinking this well-established company would have a large database of members. My concerns began in March 2015 when I was waiting for a fellow to call me based on what Lifemates had said. No I inquired about how long is a reasonable time to wait to be contacted. I was told to hang tight.

I didn't receive any contact so on March 31st I emailed to ask, again, how long should I wait. After waiting a few days, I called in to report this and voiced my concerns over the process. This is when I started to be concerned as I was told "because you've had your first contact, you cannot cancel." When I asked that this statement be explained, I was told as soon as I accept a proposed match, and I receive the contact information over email, it's considered a match and I am unable to cancel.

When I went back to my emails, I could not find this said email so I called in to let Lifemates know. (I did request that my email address be changed to ensure I received them all at work and on my phone.) I quickly realized that the staff at this company are well-trained on how NOT to allow a client voice their concerns and that money is their only focus. Payment is all they want. I wrote the fellow who signed me up in I had only had 1 date since joining and this is where I found the due diligence I did to fulfill my terms, i.e. reporting on each experience, had not been recorded on my file. I also questioned the process, timeframes and money that I had prepaid as well as if there was a way to get out of the contract.

Through my complaint, I received a 3 sentence response and found the following things to have happened: I was told that I had neglected provide feedback for the 1st date - NOT TRUE; I neglected to provide feedback for the 2nd proposed match - NOT TRUE; it was suggested the reason I did not receive the 1st email lead because I must have forgotten that I changed my email address in March - NOT TRUE. The original fellow suggested there was another match being prepared and that maybe this would be the one. He did not offer any advice or insight to any of my concerns.

I immediately responded with all of the details of my calls, how much I had spent and the true disappointment of the lack of information on my file that I had provided. I received no response. In December, my wallet was taken so I had to close off my credit cards. I called Lifemates to let them know that I needed to do an update. I did not receive a response.

On January 19, 2016, I wrote Lifemates with the details of my payments which came to $1,349.33 so far. I suggested that that was a lot of money for 11 months to only have received 3 leads in total. Lifemates says there are 5. The concern of wanting to update my account, with no callback was unacceptable. To me, it just shows how they were mishandling my account and membership. I advised Lifemates that I no longer required their services and based on the amount of money I had already put forth, we should just call it a day. I did not receive a response.

On January 27th, I followed up via email advising that no one had yet acknowledged my email of the 19th. On January 28th, I missed a call from Lifemates and returned their call within a few hours. I then called again on January 29th. On February 1st, I emailed again, letting them know that I had returned their call 2x's and no one had yet responded or acknowledged my emails. It is February 3rd today. Does all of this correspondence really warrant the right of this company to continue to receive money from me? As far as they are concerned, still does. I didn't even ask for any money back. I just want to move forward with life and put this all behind me. This is what really shook me up!

I have a email address that is used for emails that are of no value to me, newsletters and such that do not require any attention. I log into this email probably 1 every 2 months or so. Lo and behold, there is a Lifemates email in my inbox there stating that my file is being to sent to collections!!! But, if I update my account they will continue to find me a match! I am stunned. Wait Lifemates, I thought I had forgotten that I changed my email address way back in March!!!

I am appalled at how they expect me to have any confidence in their company and to continue to send them money!! They have not addressed any of my complaints, offered any advice, prove that anyone is doing due diligence to provide a service, or address my concerns of how much money I have put forth for nothing. Do I want money back? Yes. However, I am willing to walk away if they allow me to. Collections is absolutely unacceptable and unwarranted. The nerve of sending an email like that that was removed from my file almost a year ago! What do I do and where do I go from here?!

I have read the same story over and over. I was brought in for a grueling interview and asked several income issues. As I was looking for someone in a similar situation to allow travel and comfort as well as education and sophistication, I volunteered that I had a Master Degree, had a good income, good investments and my family situation. This lead to the interviewer leaving and judging from the prices other people paid, returning with the premium price list. I paid $5500 taxes in. It was always against my best interest but I had not had success looking on my own. I was told later that at 150 lbs, fit (muscular), 52 (told I look 40 daily) that I was too old and fat to find a date. I am considered by men to be very attractive. This did not help. I was told it would take some time especially for someone in my situation (demanding of sophistication, education and "fat" and "old") that it would take some time.

It is now a year later and I have not heard from them. I have called and to start, this stimulated 2 dates both were not even close to the expectations I thought the high price might buy me...your typical trades guy. The description of the first was inaccurate (was not as all as described) and very brief. This lead to my acceptance and a couple of texts exchanges. Within 2 texts it was discovered that he was not at all what they had told me. There was no date. The second was no different. I did not even accept this one as he was over 2 hours away. Since then I have received nothing from them (almost a year now), despite several emails. Nothing. No communication, no apology, no encouragement, no dates or matches. A well spent $5500 dollars?? OUCH!!

I joined up with Lifemates June 2013. In the initial process the salesperson assured me that there were available and equal amounts of men to women, that they would calling me with new matches regularly. Truth was that they had more women to men. So from the first match, the gentlemen expressed that he was called for more times for potential matches than women were with potential matches. But that was not even the biggest problem with this company. I was set up for a potential match about 1 every 2-3 months! I am definitely not picky and even still I kept opening up my selection after I spoke with the representatives there hoping that I would have more potential matches and this still was not the biggest problem.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM was I went on two dates only. Every match that they brought up to me afterwards and said there was a connection to I NEVER RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM THE GENTLEMAN AND I NEVER EVEN WENT ON ONE SINGLE MEETING!! This happened for months. They would say there was a candidate and then nothing would happen and I would call the representative and they apologized and set up a new match in a month and again this would happen. If you were to listen to all the phone calls and complaints I have made to this company you would think I had an abundance of patience because this has happened about 6 times to say the very least.

So $3000 dollars were paid for 2 dates? When I spoke with the manager today, she took no accountability blaming everything on the gentlemen. However this is a business where clients are screened and make a reputation based on creating matches. Something should have changed seeing as I was complaining countless times about this issue and I have been with this company until today.

She would not return my money and was very rude to me at the end. I am getting the impression that these "potential "candidates were fake! Or at the very least this was not good business practice! What they are promoting is 100% not the truth! IF they cared at all about finding matches for me they would have made sure after the first mishap that it would not happen again. Yet it did over and over again. I had the option of staying on forever until I found a match but after what I went through with LIFEMATES, the manager and the representatives, I would rather stop completely, remove my profile, and lose the money than deal with this business and its horrible service. TRUST ME, DO NOT JOIN UP WITH THIS COMPANY! YOU WILL BE THROWING YOUR MONEY AWAY!

I feel completely taken advantage of by Lifemates. The person I first met with was a very good salesperson, nothing more. She completely lied about the entire process, that every potential member is screened, including a police check, which is entirely untrue. I was also told that people aren't even allowed to become a member until properly screened. Given the quality of men I was set up with, I have to strongly disagree that they thoroughly screen & interview people to determine if they're ready for a committed relationship. And on that note, the Ongoing Support Team is a complete joke. And so weird. They all call me using the same "code name", and then I call back I have no idea who I'm supposed to be speaking with! They are all rude and ** if you even hesitate on a "referral", and if you say no to a referral you get total attitude.

Well, sorry but I'm 5'6", I like to wear heels most of the time, I'm not interested in dating a guy who is 5'8"! I specifically said at my initial interview I wanted to be set up with a professional man who lives and works in the city. Every "referral" I have received has been completely off base. I have since moved out of the city, but I highly doubt this will improve their accuracy skills. Couldn't find me a suitable match in a city of 1.3 million people, not sure how you're going to manage it in a town of 18,000! In 15 months I've had 5 referrals. FIVE. For $158 a month over the course of two years, I'd say that's a complete ripoff. I was oversold and they have absolutely under delivered. This is not a matchmaking service, it's a money making scam, and nothing more. If it were worth my time & money to sue them to get my money back, I absolutely would without question or hesitation.

To women in Ottawa, particularly in my age group (age 52), I would like to caution you about joining Lifemates. It has been one year since I joined and I have had only one date worth mentioning. The other referrals were not even remotely close to the profile I had requested. Life is about compromise but there are limits. The last call I received from Lifemates was close to 6 months ago. Do not waste your money. There is no sense -- other than the initial interview -- that the staff are working on your behalf. When they call with a referral the staff rush through the calls and have a "take it or leave it" attitude about the matchmaking. Such a poor approach for what should be a service-oriented company.

I have attempted to contacted you Lifemates since October but without success; Coming January 14, 2016 will be the end of the contract. I am very disappointed customer at this stage with lifemates company after 12 months.They have introduced me; Boy 1 (in Jan 15) who did not call when he was supposed to (went on vacation without let lifemates know) so after few days waiting he called me and his future plans were opposite of mine and he ends up being very impolite by texts.

Then, Boy 2 (in April 15) who did not call when he was supposed to so after few days waiting I have called him after talking to lifemates to know what to do (They've suggested to wait for the man to call first but on this case they told me to call as he was still interested but busy as per lifemates.) so I have called him and our conversation was less than one minute on the phone (He mentioned that he was busy.) and he has never call back so I have let lifemates office know that he has never contacted me. They said that they will go on to the next referral.

In July 15, Julie has called to introduce another person who was not my type of criteria on my application that I was seek for so I have declined. Since, I have not received any phone calls from lifemates so in October 2015 I have started to exchange emails with Natasha and Shawn and request a refund but Shawn wrote me back in nov 16 that he was going to contact me back after thanksgiving weekend but he never called back until this day (12/30/2015).

After multiple attempts by emails/voice-mails no one has the courtesy to call me back. I genuinely thought that this process will take me 3 to 6 months to find a real relationship that will lead to marriage, but the reality has come to me that Lifemates did not provide the service that I have signed and agreed on. I really think that lifemates does not care about us customers at all, they are not considerate at all, the money is what they are after. It is a decrease to see companies make money this way, I am beyond disgusted.

Company is only out for the money. If you are thinking about joining LIFEMATES... I STRONGLY suggest you don't. Go on a vacation with your money. I am a good looking women. Good job, home owner, fit. And they cannot match me with a minimum 6 ft person. Only had one date so. He was 5'10. That's my deal breaker. So I say then why should I pay monthly if u can't give me what I want. I was told by an employee for me to drop my heels and get him to wear stilts for height. Really...

I did not pay in advance as Most clients do, I pay monthly installments and I am willing to go to court with Lifemates to break my contract. Looking into getting a lawyer friend to help me out. SCAM. SCAM. SCAM... Do NOT JOIN. Still waiting for a call back too. They only call you when they are looking for money... Very disappointed customer.

2 years ago I met Linda at the Montreal's Lifemates office in downtown for an 2-3 hours interview, to see if I was eligible to be among of their apparently thousand and thousand of members. I was very vulnerable back then, was tired of online/speed dating and dates through friends etc. I really thought that Lifemates were amazing for helping single people to find their soulmate.

I got introduced to the lifetime membership on that day and was apparently very lucky because there was a very big rebate for me on that specific day. I signed up for that membership and paid almost 4k. But I will have to say that I am very very disappointed for their services. You can't cancel, you can't complaint, no returning the calls, waiting time for each referral is long (easily between a month to 3 months). I've met nice gentlemen but also weird men.

Nobody from Lifemates ever called me for feedback on my referral. I called many times to see what is happening with my file, because I don't hear from them often. My last referral was back in march and I never told them to put my file on hold. Haven't heard from them for 8 months after my several calls back in May and June. I don't think they have tons of members in Montreal as they claimed. In almost 2 years now, I haven't had 10 referrals. I understand there's no guarantee for each referral, but honestly for the price and the services in return, I lost my money. Good luck to everyone!

UPDATED ON 05/06/2016: I was on vacations outside of the country in January 2016. During that week of vacations, Lifemates called 2-3 times and emailed me 2 times. I was like "WOW, news from them after 10 months (last match in March 2015)." They said they have a referral for me, but I told them I am no longer single and to put my file on hold. Later in March, I received a call from the agency Intermezzo located in Montreal, saying that they're working with Lifemates to give more opportunities for all their members, so more matches, which I find it great! But I told the lady that my file is on hold... She wasn't aware, because Lifemates' system said I was available (not surprised!).

Intermezzo was very professional on the phone, if I knew, I would've went with them back then. Also, since I bought the lifetime membership and been told by Linda that I can just transfer it to a friend if I don't want it anymore since I paid a lot for it. So I called Lifemates about that. Guess what? TOTAL SCAM! Let's say if I transfer the lifetime membership to a single friend, she will have to pay the photoshoot fees (300$-400$) AND ALSO ANOTHER 1200$ for the interview and to create her profile etc. WOW UNBELIEVABLE! Total ripoff!!! I didn't refer any friend. I don't want them to experienced what I did. So I just "no thank you, please save your money!"

I would like to write this review just as it might help other people to make the right decision. I have nothing against Lifemates. I know like any other business organization they want to make money and this is their right. However it is important to provide the facts to people as well. I started with Lifemate hoping they will provide me with an appropriate match. During first call, they said they do not take anyone and specifically were questioning about my job before telling me if I am allowed to subscribe. I think that was to have an idea about my approximate income. You feel privileged when they tell you can participate.

Then I was given an appointment to present myself in person. The person that I saw was dressed untidily and smelled heavy smoking which was quite bothersome, although welcomed me with a smile. Then I was left with two series of long questions asking many personal questions which made me think they are serious about what they say. Afterwards, the agent asked some question about my exact income, assets, amount of money in the bank, credit cards, etc.

Later I asked about the fees. The agent provided me with a list of prices going from 3K to 8K (tax to be added) for different services. There was also a $300 cost for photo which is ridiculous because neither you nor your match will see these pictures and they say they need these pictures to put them next to a potential match and see if you look good together!!! FYI, they do take a picture with a camera at the end of the session (like what you do with your cellphone). When I asked if I can pass the $300 photo fees the agent said, "No way. This is mandatory."

After discussion I was not sure about their service and didn't want to subscribe. However the agent pushed me to do so. Indeed, I was not sure if they have enough matches based on the qualities I asked. I was very clear and specific about the type of match I was looking for. When I asked if they have matches as I specified, the Lifemates agent told me they have at least a thousand matches for me at this time. I couldn't figure out how she knows even before processing my answers to the logs list question. Eventually, I paid about 4K for a limited number of matches.

On my way out I got to know another person who also subscribed with Lifemates and realized that person paid 2.5K for UNLIMITED number of matches!!! I realized that I was not a good negotiator and the fees are basically not based on the service you ask for and rather on how you negotiate. Basically if you say, "No I am not interested," they suggest you a lower price for a better service.

The contract is in small letters and hard to read and you do not get enough time to read it. When you look at it carefully you realize that it is a unilateral contract which protects Lifemates and recognized very few rights for the subscriber. It takes the responsibility off Lifemates and mentions you will not be reimbursed if they start processing your file (about 4 weeks after your subscription). The day after I called and asked if I can cancel my service, I was told if I cancel I will lose half of my fees (2K) even if it is less than 24 hours which is very unfair. I was between losing 2K for no service and 4K and continuing my subscription. Between bad and worse, I chose the bad situation.

Anyway 3-4 weeks later I got a call and they said they have a match for me. I asked about the features that I specified during my interview before accepting the match. The agent mentioned the exact features that I was looking for. I was happy and hopeful. Then I called the person. When I asked some questions about the features that I was looking for, to my surprise it was the complete contrary to what I was told by Lifemates! Later when I told Lifemates why they gave me the wrong information, they had no response. The agent just said it was not her who talked to me.

About 8 weeks later, I was introduced to another person which was again a disappointment as that person was not provided the basic info about me. Since that time, I have not heard from Lifemates and I have called multiple times. When I call nobody answers having the excuse that the agent is busy. Above all, you are not given the option of waiting and talking to someone versus leaving a message. Your only choice is leave a message and they will come back to you soon. I have left many messages and nobody has returned my call yet.

In all, very disappointed from the Lifemates service. If you want my honest opinion stay away from Lifemates. It is extremely expensive and you do not receive the service that you have paid for. The waiting time is very long. There is also no possibility to cancel later and at least be partly reimbursed if not satisfied with them. There is a good possibility that my response will be censored. However, I feel it is my responsibility to inform others of my experience which could help them.

I live in Victoria BC, signed up in May 2014 and only 2 people that they matched me up with could have been considered a potential. One was local, the other from 90 minute drive (he had children living at home who needed daily care, that was not in my profile). My third and fourth matches were from the mainland. One appeared to have no interest in coming to the island, the other kept referring me to his Facebook account to check him out. I reported this to Lifemates and they said they were working on another match for me as we speak. That was in March 2015. I have not heard from them since. On their website, it says that you'll get feedback after each introduction. That never happened. Lifemates closed their office in Victoria this summer and when I inquired about how I can be matched up if the office is closed, they said it was not a problem, potentials can come to Vancouver to sign up.

Taking into consideration the cost of travel & people's time, I'm not sure how many would be willing to "invest" that much when other local options are at their disposal. Needless to say, I have no idea how many new people have actually gone to the mainland to sign up and how full the bank of potentials is now on the island but one thing is clear, I have not heard from anyone in over 8 months and probably won't no matter how many times I call or write to them. Ignoring clients seems to be their forte AFTER they take your money. A former employee told me that the difficulties experienced by Lifemates is blamed on the CBC News report that came out in March 2015. Regardless what the problem is with recruiting & matching, it appears that some members are not being looked after very well. I don't deny there must be some success stories, I'm certainly not one of them. I travel a lot so opening the door to potentials on the mainland, I was told, would be a benefit to me, I have not seen a positive impact.

It's also been suggested to me that perhaps I ought to look at other options, other site, not to put all my eggs in the same basket. Perhaps I can buy a wig because men like women with long hair, that unfortunately the nature of my job can be a deterrent for some men because I'm not home every night etc. "There are plenty of men you can be matched up with from the island", I was told, then I hand over my money, only to find out that some of my physical attributes are stacked against me i.e. having short hair, being a little overweight, the nature of my job etc. My recommendation: DO NOT waste your money. Also note that all reviews that have few stars are blocked out. That says something about the company!

I joined Lifemates in February, 2015. I understood them to be a professional matchmaking service. Their interview process and questionnaire was very thorough and seemed very professional. I received one potential match about 6 weeks after I joined. It was not successful and in fact I was very surprised with the person I was matched with. I communicated my experience to Lifemates in April and since that time I have not heard from them. I have communicated with them twice and the experience was not satisfactory. I invested more than $3,000 for a relationship guarantee and 8 months later I am still waiting.

Barry and I have been exclusive for over 8 months now. Thanks to the ladies in matching for all of their help. I am so glad that you thought this was a good match. You are very good at what you do.

I signed up with Lifemates a year ago. I signed with them because I did not want to do online dating and I am quite a private person. Since signing and paying over $3,000.00 I have received one match. This person was not what I had specified what I was looking for. I tried through email and phone calls to contact Lifemates to discuss their services (or lack thereof). To date, I have not received a response from them. I think the complete lack of service would be cause for some form of compensation. I know this is the expectation with other companies who do not deliver on the services they are paid to provide. Very disappointing.

I, like others, had to wait weeks and finally called them to see what was happening. The men I met were exactly what I told them not to send me. Plus they charge thousands of dollars to the women and only hundreds to the men. Absolutely not worth it. I met a wonderful man on

I was totally harassed by the executive at Lifemates for posting a very truthful review about them. "I'm sure we are worth 3 stars." The review went into something like "under resolution"? This company did contact me and this man did provide me with a few matches. I could not change my review as it was still "under resolution". To me this man SEEMS to want lifemates to have 5 stars. He seems to do so by contacting clients and trying to get them to change their reviews.

To me ConsumerAffairs, by blanking out both RATING numbers (as well as actual reviews), is playing ball with lifemates (making sure that they get 5 stars) and SUPPRESSING any complaints or dissension. This makes ConsumerAffairs just another advertiser. But no worries: when the consumer sees all of these blanked out reviews they will wonder what is up with Lifemates. I remain and always will be a dissatisfied customer. I DARE ConsumerAffairs to print this review - both of itself and Lifemates' sleazy practices.

I met Chris on a Thursday night. We went out again on Sunday. Her smile was so amazing and her laugh was even better. I have had a very good experience as a whole and am now happy. That Thursday was the day after my son's birthday in March and I haven't used a match since. Thanks, Lifemates.

Lifemates Company Profile