Find a Matchmaking Services partner

It's Just Lunch!

3.8/5 (191 ratings)
Find a Matchmaking Services partner
Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

About It's Just Lunch!

It's Just Lunch is a personalized matchmaking service that caters to busy professionals looking for meaningful relationships in more than 110 U.S. cities as well as cities in Canada, the UK, Ireland and Australia. Matchmakers get to know members and use their dating preferences and relationship history to select matches. It's Just Lunch makes all the arrangements for comfortable and safe face-to-face dates, including the time and place. All members have to do is show up ready to meet their match. Potential pairs meet over lunch or after work for drinks.

Pros

• Guaranteed face-to-face dates
  • Free onboarding interview
  • Customized membership plans
  • Fully confidential

Cons

• Lengthy process
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

It’s Just Lunch offers an alternative to online dating apps with its personalized matchmaking services. You work one-on-one with a matchmaker who finds potential matches for you and sets up the date.

Banner image

Single? Frustrated with online dating?

Take back control of your love life now with LoveAndMatchmaking

Get Started

It's Just Lunch! Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch!?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2006

After hearing radio advertisements for It's Just Lunch, I decided to contact the company for additional information. Despite repeated phone calls and e-mails, no one has contacted me. They do not answer their phones or respond to messages left on their answering machine. They also will not respond to e-mail inquires. I have tried to reach this business for over two weeks. This company continues to have radio advertisements and send advertisements via e-mail -- for services that apparently do not exist!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2006

I signed up for this dating service back in September 2006. They gave me a phone interview and charged my credit card, guaranteeing me a certain number of dates (6, I believe) within 6 months. I sent a signed contract back to their office in Lubbock, TX, because at that time there was no office in Amarillo, TX, where I live (they assured me they had plenty of clients in Amarillo). It has been over 2 months and I've not heard anything. I just tried to call their office number and got a recording that the number was disconnected. They also now advertise an Amarillo phone number, which was also disconnected. I called the company headquarters number for a direct connection to my area office and still got the disconnect recording. I called and left a message with the public releations dept at the company headquarters. I am a struggling single mom and I cannot afford to lose the kind of money I invested in this service. If they are no longer working in my area, I want my money back.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2006

I have just had another date set up by someone at IJL who has never met me. This is the 4th person I have dealt with since becoming a member.

I believe that this is a totally numbers-driven company. They send you out on as many dates as possible to use up your membership. They show no concern about if you would have anything in common with the person. I am not sure they even read your profile, since they have tried to send me on dates with married men and men with small children, both of which I stated I was not interested in. Now I seem to be sent on dates with "my father"!

This company has no interest in you or your profile - all they want is your money.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2006

This is a dating service that promises one thing to lure you into their expensive service and does not deliver. The matches were never close to what I was asking for. I tried numerous times to get a refund and they refuse to address your concerns and will only place your membership on hold. The services were falsely advertised and misleading.

I would like a full refund in the amount of $1500 which is what I paid for when I joined in February 2005. I have been in a Hold mode since September of 2005.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2005

My story is exactly the same as the other complaints that I have read by
other customers. After going into painstaking detail about what I was
looking for I asked the director, "Are you SURE you have clients that meet
these requirements?" She assured me she did. I realize now this was just a

way to get my money.

My first two dates were nothing like what I had told IJL I was looking for.
I called to voice my concern and was treated rather rudely and told to
"relax and have fun". Two more dates that were worse than the first and I
called again to complain and request a refund. This time I talked with the
franchise owner who rudely told me "No refunds, you signed a contract" and

"Relax".

I decided to give it one more try. This time I sat in a restaurant for 1
hour and 15 minutes and my date never showed up. I called the next day to
cancel my account and request a refund. The next week I received a letter

that stated: "As per your request, we have placed your account on hold."

This
is NOT what I requested. After reading the testimonials of others it is
clear to me this a pattern. I believe this company preys on the hopes of the lonely to get their money

and then ignores their wishes.

Damages: $1300 and untold hours of my time trying to get a response

to my complaints.

Original review: June 29, 2004

After having tried the ?It?s Just Lunch? matchmaking service in Denver for the past year, I have to say that I?m very disappointed. At the introductory interview, I was told by the director that IJL would set me up on a minimum of 12 dates with ?quality? people. After the first several IJL match dates, it became obvious that a lot of IJL's clientele are extremely busy professionals who put in 60-70 hours a week. I made very clear to IJL that I am not interested in dating workaholics, as they don?t appear to have much time for dating or anything else outside of work.

IJL is supposed to take the feedback that you provide after each date and fine tune the process so that the next date is a closer match. In reality, the people that IJL consistently matched me up with were not my type and had little in common with my interests and goals. IJL even sent me out on a dinner date with someone from Telluride, who lives over 300 miles away from where I live in Denver. IJL should have told me upfront that they were matching me up with someone who lived 300 miles away. Imagine my surprise when I found out that my dinner date lived 300 miles away?in addition to us having very little in common.

Although I asked repeatedly for a pro-rated refund, I was told that IJL doesn?t give refunds. One of the directors said that she would give me a one-month extension on my 1-year contract. However, she did not write this down in my folder so there was no record of the conversation. This director is no longer with IJL. When my one-year membership was up, I asked about the one-month extension. This new director didn?t know what I was talking about, as there was no written record of the conversation. She said she would honor the one-month extension anyway. However, IJL never sent me out on any additional dates under the one-month extension.

Damage Resulting: I'm out $1500 for the one-year membership.

Original review: June 29, 2004

I joined Just Lunch in July of 2003 and have been extremely disappointed. Its a joke. I received a sales pitch from Jennifer, the "director" who told me that she could not wait to send me out on dates and to introduce me to all the appropriate and great gentlemen who were in my community and were listed with her. She even dropped some names. However, when I called her after my first date to give her feedback she said I shall not call her, her job was done by signing me up and interviewing me. Now it is up to the assistants.

Well they did not interview me or had any idea what I am looking for. The dates were completely incompatible. Each time I tried to talk to the matchmaker, I was hustled off the phone as quickly as possible. I wanted to leave and was happy to receive just 50% of my money back; however I was told I couldn't get a refund, and they kept reminding me I had signed a contract. Their contract however states that if they can't provide me with 16 dates based on my criteria, I should get a refund. But there is no time limit - it is one and a half years later and they could only just come up with 6 dates. They absolutely do not have men for me . I have met a lot more and very nice men on E Harmony. Much cheaper and well worth the money!

Original review: June 1, 2004

This is a dating service that supposedly does in-person interviews of your prospective matches. In my case, it turns out that no one currently working in the office had ever met my date. (She told me so!) If they ever had, it would be obvious that this lady was on heavy meds with some serious life issues -- not even remotely the sort of woman that I specified!

After 3 days elapsed since my "interview", 1 date -- and 13 more "promised" dates, I politely ask for pro-rata refund of the $1400 (check, no credit card, thank you) that I had just shelled out. "It's our policy not to give refunds", says Stephanie (a high-pressure salesperson under beaucoup de makeup). Amazing, from unbelievable promises of more than 800 GREAT singles to choose from to "what did you expect?"

Original review: March 15, 2004

I just got off the phone with H. in the Chicago office who tried to set me up with someone I wasn't interested in. I turned him down and she kept saying that the "advisors" matched us for a reason. I told her that I know myself better than someone who only spoke to me for one hour and I won't go out with this guy. She then told me that because I missed giving feedback on my last date that it was my fault that the "advisors" weren't matching me correctly. I told her then why haven't they used the feedback I gave them from the previous 6 dates?

I asked for a re-evaluation meeting and she gave me "we'll get back to you". I was told that after 5 dates you are brought back in so that you can see if you're on the same page. I don't think they'll see that as something they can do. They really need some training on customer service. They forget that I paid them so I get a lot of say in who I will or will not be matched to. I believe once they have your $1500 they don't give a **** about you.

Their matching capabilities are really bad because I've been out with men that don't match what I told them at all. They don't give the full disclosure on a person either. I'm not interested in someone with kids and told them that. So what happens...they set me up with a man who works constantly and whatever time he has left he spends with his kids out in the suburbs. This same man told me that he could go out with someone every week but for women they just set them up with whatever man walks through the door because there are more women than men. So true.

I bet if you talked to the women that belong the number of unhappy people would be much higher than happy. They really run a shoddy organization. I'm in sales and if my team ever talked to the customers like they do I'd fire them.

I paid $1500 for what I thought were going to be quality dates and haven't been set up with anyone yet who's worth it. What makes me mad is their customer service or lack thereof. They don't listen to what the customer wants or needs and then argues with them when the customer pushes back.

Original review: March 14, 2004

I am an academic who has held teaching positions in Houston and DC. I joined IJL in Houston and reactivated the membership in DC, having been assured in Houston that reciprocity would be honored. In DC Ms. Reid encouraged me to come in for a new "intake interview" which would make it easier to match me more accurately. For this service she charged an extra $200.

The matches I received in DC were unsuitable in several ways, and crucial information about the women's lifestyle were witheld from me. Also I have similar complaints to others on the DC IJL about appointments set up in parts of the DC area that were very far from where I lived or worked. Since I was new to DC area, I had no idea about distance and difficulty of travel. There was also delay after delay in setting up meetings.

I put my membership on hold until I returned to Atlanta, my permanent home, and I am finding that in Atlanta IJL has the same problem of being very slow to set up meetings (one in a month of membership here). Houston IJL was able to set up about 10 dates for me over four months. Many of the women I met there, however, were considerably older than me or held incompatible values (e.g. extremely conservative whereas I am very liberal--something I made clear to the Houston office).

Furthermore, I am 56 and a triathlete in exceptionably good shape. I requested matches that were in as good shape as I am, whatever their age, and although the Houston IJL director assured me that she could meet my needs, she actually could not.

My feeling is that the client base is too narrow to fulfill the promises they make. None of the offices reveal how many subscribers they have--I have asked and been told the numbers are "proprietary information." The delays and long waits are probably due to the unwillingness to use computers or email to do the matching and set up the appointments. Often there are several rounds of phone calls which the staff has to handle (since they must assure anonymity) before a convenient time and place can be established.

I think these older, non-internet services are suffering from the competition of match.com and other online matching services. Why pay $1000-$1500 for a service that offers far less choice than one for under $100 per year? So the client base of the expensive "handmade" matching services is probably shrinking and that is a source of much of their difficulty and the cause of much of the client frustration.

Unfortunately for IJL and even more expensive services such as Great Expectations, the downward sprial seems inescapable. The sharp tactics ... may be desperate efforts to halt the erosion of a business with a shrinking market which has become technologically obsolete. As for Atlanta IJL, I'm reserving judgment, but my initial impression is that they have the same underlying problem as elsewhere in the franchise.

I spent $1500 and feel the claims IJL franchise directors made were deceptive. At the very least they played on my naivete. If they were required to reveal the size of their client base, broken down by age and other categories, the consumer/ client would be able to make a more objective assessment of his/her chances. But I imagine the figures would be so disconcerting that few would pay the fee. In Houston, the director admitted to a 60-40 ratio of women to men, but I have the feeling the disproportion is great than that. Even with the ratio in my favor, the results were disappointing so I can imagine the frustration of women clients.

It's Just Lunch! Company Information