3.7/5 (129 ratings)

About It's Just Lunch!

It's Just Lunch is a personalized matchmaking service that caters to busy professionals looking for meaningful relationships in more than 110 U.S. cities as well as cities in Canada, the UK, Ireland and Australia. Matchmakers get to know members and use their dating preferences and relationship history to select matches. It's Just Lunch makes all the arrangements for comfortable and safe face-to-face dates, including the time and place. All members have to do is show up ready to meet their match. Potential pairs meet over lunch or after work for drinks.

Pros

• Guaranteed face-to-face dates
  • Free onboarding interview
  • Customized membership plans
  • Fully confidential

Cons

• Lengthy process
  • Can be pricey

Bottom Line

It’s Just Lunch offers an alternative to online dating apps with its personalized matchmaking services. You work one-on-one with a matchmaker who finds potential matches for you and sets up the date.

Top It's Just Lunch! Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Verified

I’m thankful for Debbie and IJL. She’s working hard to find the right man for me by listening and applying my desires. I appreciate the atmosphere this experience provides, and I ...

Verified

Marisol is amazing. She is always cheerful and professional. She makes sure that she follows up and is in touch constantly, most importantly she listens. I also appreciate her spe...

What is It’s Just Lunch?

It’s Just Lunch is a matchmaking service that pairs people based on their interests and relationship history. The company’s matchmakers set up a meeting place, typically for lunch or after-work drinks, for the couples to meet.

If you’re interested in joining It’s Just Lunch, you can either fill out a registration form on the company’s website or call for more information. You will go through a free onboarding interview process.

In the 30-minute interview, a dating specialist explains how the service works and asks you about your interests and values and what you’re looking for in a potential date. At the end of the call, the dating specialist offers you membership packages based on the number of dates you want to go on.

How does It’s Just Lunch work?

Once you sign up with It’s Just Lunch, you’re paired with a matchmaker. Your matchmaker spends time getting to know you, your dating history, your preferences and anything else important to your dating goals. At that time, your matchmaker collects payment and begins looking for potential matches.

Your matchmaker shows you photos and information about your potential matches and shares your photo and interests with them. Names and contact information are kept private. Once there’s a mutual match, your matchmaker communicates with your match to set up a first date at a restaurant, bar or cafe.

After the date is confirmed, your matchmaker lets you know where to meet and when. After the date, your matchmaker contacts you to discuss how it went. From there, they’ll set up another date with the same person or a new date with another potential match.

How much does It’s Just Lunch cost?

The cost of It’s Just Lunch varies based on the city you live in, how many dates you’d like to go on and your contract length. It’s Just Lunch doesn’t list prices on its website — membership packages are personalized to your preferences.

Your matchmaker goes over pricing and the packages you can choose from at your onboarding interview. Previous members say the cost typically ranges between $1,000 and $4,000, but $2,000 is the average price.

It’s Just Lunch FAQ

Who owns It’s Just Lunch?
It’s Just Lunch operates as a franchise. Each city has its own staff.
How much does It’s Just Lunch cost in Canada?
The cost of It’s Just Lunch in Canada varies based on which of the six locations — Calgary, Edmonton, The Okanagan, Vancouver, Victoria and Toronto — you live in and how many dates you sign up for.
Does It’s Just Lunch have multiple plans?
Yes, It’s Just Lunch has multiple plans. Plans are customized to each member and vary by the minimum guaranteed number of dates.
Is It’s Just Lunch free?
No, It’s Just Lunch is a paid matchmaking service. A typical membership costs between $2,000 and $4,000, depending on the member’s location, the number of dates a member wants to go on and other factors.

Does It’s Just Lunch work?

Yes, It’s Just Lunch works. The company has helped people go on more than 2 million first dates, with some leading to long, happy relationships and marriages. Matchmakers do all of the work for you, so all you have to do is show up. Plus, the people you meet through It’s Just Lunch are also looking for a relationship, which isn’t always the case with dating apps and other online dating services.

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch!?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about It's Just Lunch?

Original review: June 7, 2022

This is my second time, as an active member, and I did it a second time because my first experience was very professional and fun. Unfortunately, the first round did not result in a match. I just began my second active membership with the company/It’s Just Lunch and I am hoping things will turn out better and I will find a good romantic match; and if not a friend, acquaintance at the very least. At this time, the company has changed some of its initial procedures/policies and they, in my opinion, are not as specific/detailed as they were when I initially dated via the company. I am hoping this will not lead to another unsuccessful dating experience. I am disappointed that the company no longer has an office in the geographic area I live in. I have only been working with my current Matchmaker for a short period of time, but he seems competent, professional, and knowledgeable. I hope his experience and expertise will result in a successful match for me.

It's Just Lunch! response

Hi Alisha, thank you for your continued trust in It's Just Lunch. Please rest assured that your matchaking team is focused on providing you with a posivive dating experience. We look forward to receiving your feedback after your upcoming date. Please do not hesitate to contact us at customerservice@ijlcorp.com if you have any questions or need any assistance.

Get buying tips about Matchmaking Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2022

When my earlier IJL membership expired, I had no intentions of renewal. My past experience have be someone of a disappointment with the appearance one takes on the membership, after being oversold on expectations, thereafter you never speak to the same person; certainly not the sales person who convinces you to take on the membership. Joanne M has presented herself otherwise, was sincere and she has taken on the role of being my primary contact in a manner exactly as she had promised. She has always been sincere, is dedicated and honest, and always responds to me in a timely manner.

In instances where I should do something different to improve results or expectations, then I hear of that from her as well. I have high expectations of my forthcoming date with Sandy on 04 May, and believe Joanne has really tried hard in finding this latest selection. If not Sandy, then I have no doubt Joanne will try just as hard for finding my next date. David

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for sharing your experience. We apologize that your prior membership did not meet your expectations and we truly appreciate you placing your trust in IJL again. Our team strives to meet our clients' expectations and we are so glad that your matchmaker has turned your experience into a positive one!

Original review: April 18, 2022

Marc has been an overall superstar of a matchmaker; this person has managed to pull miracle after miracle on short notice. Marc has gone above and beyond the call of a matchmaker and was borderline life coach and travel advisor on some occasions. With short notice of my travels, this man, this legend, has managed to set me up with matchES so I don’t travel blindly. This has happened enough times where this act is now referred to as the “Hand of Marc” where the miracles happen when he gets involved.

Marc is my 4rd matchmaker from IJL and overall 7th matchmaker I’ve dealt with, and he was the first and only one to take the time and connect like a person, rather than just a quick matchmaker. That being said, my experience with IJL was not so positive, but my experience with Marc was something REALLY enjoyable. He would be the most relatable and take the time to get to know me and thoroughly advise on matches. After some conversations with him I am confident that he understand me more than any other matchmaker I experienced, as I feel he sees me more than words on my profile. Not only does he have the background information of my profile, but he also has experience in my mannerisms, communication and general “human” personality, not to be confused with “applicant” personality.

My experience with IJL started rocky, and after 9 months of membership, poor communication and lack of matches, I lost faith in the service as my previous matchmakers, which a new one would reach out randomly, would only reach out on rare occasions, giving me a feeling of being forgotten and cast aside. Once I started connecting with Marc, I had the feeling that there was hope in the matchmaking services as long as he was my point of contact. In the past month I have communicated with Marc MORE than all other matchmakers COMBINED in the previous year. He gives me a feeling of being human and having hope in the service as he took the time to know me for me. I KNOW if he is involved, my match and I, won't just be gold standard, but hold a “unicorn” status to each other. Something that has only been seen in movies. I’ve been able to meet 3 unicorns before signing up with IJL and I just know that with Marc we could meet more.

At first I was content with searching in my local city, and I was insistent in staying in Toronto, but after connecting with Marc, and knowing that he is my matchmaker I have expanded to all of North America. He has instilled a sense of hope that that I lost with the service. With Marc I feel as though I am more confident to push my boundaries looking for that Unicorn; since being his client, I’ve had a greater level of “hope” and feeling of being human that I feel I can push other boundaries of my professional and personal life as I know my love life is in expert hands.

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for your terrific review and for sharing your experience. As we say at IJL, "Matchmaking isn't a job. It's our passion!" and your review is a glowing example of IJL's matchmaking passion at work.

Original review: April 12, 2022

I apologize as I tried to find an order number; yet was unsuccessful. Even though the match chosen for this particular date ended up not being my type, I would have to agree with my great personalized matchmaker that he was a good fit on paper and that we looked like a great match. Even though he wasn’t for me, the experience was great as this is real life. However, sometimes you just never know! One needs to just try again! It’s all great and I absolutely feel my IJL matchmaker has my best interest at heart! I can’t wait to learn what’s next! All my best!

It's Just Lunch! response

Hello Gina, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and review. I can speak for the entire team when I say how much we appreciate your trust in your matchmaker, IJL and our process. You are correct, your matchmaker does have your best interest at heart, and in providing you with the best experience possible!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I was assigned to my matchmaker - Ms. Debra. When I had a virtual meeting with her, I knew that I could find someone sooner or later because when she introduced herself by saying that she was a good matchmaker for majority of her friends even before she started working at IJL. I had a few meetings so far; These were new learning curves for me.

Some restaurants were badly organized. However, with all the emotional support and encouragement from Debra, I do have a faith that I can find someone soon. One time Debra had to call me and the restaurant several times when I was waiting for my match for 30 min due to the restaurant staff's mistake and inconsiderate attitude. Anyway, it all worked out at the end. I was a bit upset and angry, but when I had a review session with her after the meeting, she explained that some restaurants were short-staffed under the pandemic and she made me calm down. Debra organized next match for me, and I am so excited to explore.

It's Just Lunch! response

We appreciate the open and honest feedback about the process and will share it with our team. Debra is here for you every step of the way, as is the entire IJL team.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Joined end of April and first profile submitted for May 1st, turned out to be not available after selecting date & time of meet-up. 2nd profile sent, a date for a meet up was selected and person (male) did not resemble photo. Would not have recognized him, except restaurant showed me to his table. My complaint is that they sent me a very old, not current photo of the man in a tuxedo. No real interest in a 2nd date. Had to wait one month to receive any potential matches. 2nd & 3rd attempts were 80 + yr. old men who I rejected. 4th attempt, profile sent, I chose after being persuaded, I selected dates/time for a meet up and was then informed that he was no longer available. Bingo!

So they have repeatedly send me unavailable profiles to choose. Why do they not do their homework first and know this before they present a profile. I have repeatedly asked for a refund of $3,000.00 minus $400 to cover May/June just to be nice. They do not return my calls or emails to address my issues. False advertising on website listing physical address in Addison, Tx. No front offices in US except, so called Miami office-yet to be discovered. After repeatedly requesting a refund - they are no longer presenting me with prospects but they have my $3,400.00. I've been waiting 7 days in June to receive any contact from them or profiles or status on my request for a refund.

It's Just Lunch! response

We apologize and are so disappointed to hear this. Your concerns are very important to us. We have expedited this matter to our customer service department who will contact you.

Original review: June 7, 2022

I worked with Debra when I decided to hire a matchmaker. Online dating was unpleasant and I decided to give It's Just Lunch a try. After my first date, I had another (per Debra’s advice) and am now dating my first match exclusively! I had actually declined the match, but Debra spoke honestly to me and I decided to out once more. She was right! She is a skilled matchmaker and goes with her gut! Best of luck!

It's Just Lunch! response

Thank you for sharing your story and experience! It means the world to us to know what a difference It’s Just Lunch has made for you!

Original review: June 6, 2022

I would like to express how wonderful Debra was when I moved back to Rochester New York. She quickly responded to me and found me a match very quickly. I haven’t had that experience with It's Just Lunch. It was very refreshing! Unfortunately my first date had to cancel and she quickly found me a second date. I was very impressed how she kept in touch with me. I’m so sorry I had to move back to California so I no longer have her. I will miss her!

It's Just Lunch! response

What wonderful words you have shared about your matchmaker! Thank you! Your are in great hands with your new matchmaker and we are only a phone call away if you need anything.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Debra has been absolutely awesome. She is always will to listen and is extremely detailed in her explanations of the rules of engagement and on dates. I feel comfortable confiding in Debra where there may have been issues on dates and she is always will to provide coaching and mentoring. I recognize that the dating process can be difficult, but Debra does everything that she can to make the process as simple as possible and effective.

It's Just Lunch! response

Pamela, thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Your trust and receptiveness to your martchmaker is so vital to your dating journey and we are so happy to share your review with our team.

Original review: June 3, 2022

My matchmaker Hazel is wonderful. She’s always on top of things, checking in weekly and seeing if I need anything or talk about anything. And she knows what I’m looking for in a match. I would highly recommend her for potential clients. Thank you

It's Just Lunch! response

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It means so much when our client share their experiences with us.

It's Just Lunch! Company Information