Great Expectations

Great Expectations is a matchmaking dating service with more than 35 years of experience that caters to the busy working professional. Great Expectations has merged today’s technology with old fashioned matchmaking methods to become a leader in the dating industry. To learn more about Great Expectations call, 866-907-5046 or visit www.great-expectations.com. Each location is individually owned and operated.

Compare Matchmaking Services

Research top Matchmaking Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I usually do not fall for sales pitches but this time I was duped. To further get my interest, I was showed pictures of men that fit my Criteria and those were practically the only men I found in their entire database and even they were non-responsive. So who knows if they are current or even exist. I was told that people are to respond within 30 days of your inquiry. I believe they have people who are just used to make it seem like there are eligible singles. One of the reasons I say this is because I met a man that I know who has been in their database for about 10 years. In two months I was contacted by one person of a different race. The fact that they were racially different than myself was not a problem.

The problem is that Cleveland Singles aka Great Expectations act like they are going to work for you to help you meet someone and for all the so-called background checking they do they don’t even have singles who respond to an inquiry. Then I signed up for a “meet-up” event that was cancelled (and of course I paid extra for that). Instead of giving me my money back, they applied it to a future event, a beer tasting event. I don’t drink and I had previous plans so needless to say I did not go. Also what they did was change the dates of my inquiries to perspective singles. Again, people are to response within 30 days so after 30 days had expired and hardly anyone responded positively, they changed my dates on my Cleveland singles dashboard to make it look like the 30 days had just begun. After you give them your money do not expect any assistance. If anyone can tell me how I can get at least some of my money back, let me know.

I joined this dating site on: April 2nd 2016. I must say these people are very skilled at what they do. Thieves/crooks. They take advantage of line it people who wants to meet a good quality mate. It's sad that they have been in business so long they do not provide what they say. Videos of potential dates a lot of times do not work. I talked to a man who had been off the system for six years. A lot of the men are currently inactive. Big ripoff this company. I paid: $995.00. I worked hard for this money. This is the Cleveland site on Rockside Road.

I found this to be a big rip-off. Telling me they offer so much more than other online dating sites. Saying there were lots of paid clients when in reality, there are photos of clients that either live out of state and "visit your area" or are listed as inactive. I got hooked into this scam too. Did not have one single person in a year that I met. I met more men on another dating site that was much less to pay. The photos from Cleveland singles are so small and the quality of service for the amount of money they ask is ridiculous. They also charge 20.00 a month to maintain the listing. Lesson learned.

This company is a big rip-off! I spent $$$ for this service, was told I would have a counselor type person that would call me on a regular basis and work with me to find matches. NO ONE EVER CONTACTED ME!!! Made the biggest mistake, and out many $!

I paid $4000.00 to this dating site for a lifetime membership. When I called them 5 years later to use the site again they told me that I did not have a lifetime membership, and that the type of membership I bought was only 5 years. I asked to speak to the sales person that sold me the membership, she was not in. I asked for her to call me back, she never did!!! I have called several time in the past 2 months but my calls have been ignored. Very bad business.... She outright lied to me to sell the membership. Very shady company. Do Not Get Involved With This Company!!!! Boca Raton Florida location.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Great Expectations?

Initially began signing up for website but never finished because it seemed odd that they wanted my telephone number. Great Expectations also goes under the name Cleveland Singles and a few other names. I never finished signing up and I never gave my credit card (thank God). They began leaving voicemail messages every day. I blocked their number and they left messages from different numbers. I blocked those too then they started leaving messages from "Private Number" unlisted numbers which you cannot block. I called them three times and asked them to stop calling me. They said, "Why did you fill out the form?" I said, "I asked you to stop calling three times now." The girls was flippant and insulting. She made no indication that she would pass the word not to call my number. I don't see any way that this could possibly do more than irritate people who inquired of their company.

Beware of this company. They are misleading and dishonest. I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office and waiting on results. If you are unhappy because you have been mislead please do the same. If more of us file a complaint the Attorney General's Office will investigate. I was lied about what they provide. They had told me they would send me two guys per week and would check on me weekly. They had a binder with lots of guys and claimed they had more. When I joined I did not find the profiles of the guys they showed me at the meeting. I emailed them about that and they never responded. Most members are inactive. There is no selection. They will also lied to you about being inactive for six months free of charge. The list goes on. The woman from Ohio that called me "Debbie" is a complete moron. If anyone here is interested in filing a class action lawsuit please let me know.

I will be canceling all cards that are connected with this company first thing in the morning. I did not give them permission to call me so if they decide to call me I will hire an attorney first thing tom! I thought it was really weird for someone to call me for permission to call me about payments before any payments were even made. It makes sense that they do not let you get on the website until weeks after you have already signed up. I'm so disappointed in myself for letting someone convince me this was a good idea! You live and you learn that's for sure! Really hating on myself right now!

They hard sold me, and lied. I should have sued because I had proof, but I was too busy. The paperwork and recordings said they would pay for some activities. Thousands later, they paid for NOTHING. They also said they would set up some meetings with other clients. NOT ONCE DID THEY EVER DO THAT. This was nothing but fraud to steal my money.

The personnel were rarely helpful and very condescending most of the time. However, they were filled a list of nice looking successful available men in my area, when I originally meant with them. I purchased a lifetime plan and the quality of gentlemen was a outrageous lie. All of the men they presented were either off the site or never enrolled. A Fool, I was!!! I am not a pertinacious person, but I am an educated, intelligent and successful 50 year old nice looking, fit, Lady. I was not looking for perfection, but a gentleman close to my age, somewhat fit, again not Mr. Fitness, that can communicate and knows how to treat a Lady.

Please don't get me wrong, I backpack, whitewater kayak, and am a water rat. Being polite and not acting like an animal. Their screening process was non-existing. They took anybody with money. There were never any matches in my area or within 45 miles. They attempted to fix me up with a man that was 13 years my senior and acted older with major health issues. Age was not the issue, but in this case it was a problem. To top all of these, the offices are closed and I have never received anything from these Scam Artists. They knew what they were doing and really did not care.

I interviewed with GE hoping to meet professional men that had been pre-qualified and background checked by GE. The sales representative showed me pictures of decent and good looking men. He promised to personally oversee and set me up for dinner dates. He said several would be interested to date an Asian woman like me. I waited for 3 months while they were drawing money from my credit card. No calls from the company, no dinner dates, not even access to their dating site. I called them several times but I got no reply so I cancelled the automatic withdrawal from my credit card. And so now after 7 years, I have Credit Collection Agency threatening to sue me and put lien on my property! Please advice! I am not supposed to give star because this is a SCAM but the website will not submit!

I went in, signed up and felt it was wrong immediately. I can't meet anyone or talk to anyone till I pay $195 for a photo shoot. What's up with that? Not one contact since initial sign up when the girl told me she had 2 guys for me. Except to ask for payment. What have people done to get out of this?

BUYERS BEWARE OF GREAT EXPECTATIONS/CHICAGOLAND SINGLES I just want to make everyone aware of the fraudulent business ethics of this dating service. In 2012 after being a widow for over 3 years, I fell victim to this predatory business. I had a terrible encounter with them and would like other consumers to be aware of the following: Great Expectations (GE) is a nationwide scam dating service that goes under a variety of aliases (including Chicagoland Singles). They are constantly changing their name/webpages so that consumers cannot read the over 500 complaints filed against them.

They illegally solicit your personal information from ANY/ALL dating services and Craigslist. Once they obtain your contact information, they will harass you through email, phone calls, etc. Their harassing phone calls are relentless and often times the number is blocked out and occur at all hours day/evening. If you are vulnerable (like I was) and agree to an interview, they use high power sales tactics to bully clients into signing a contract. At the interview, the following duplicitous tactics are used by their corrupt sales persons: High powered aggressive sales tactics and distractions to lure you into a contract. Capitalizing on your emotional needs and even DISABILITIES. Run credit checks on you and based on your credit, will charge you the maximum they can (sometimes over $5,000). Misrepresent the services they offer and the hidden fees. Misrepresent the success rate/services.

They basically utilize any strategy to fraudulently persuade you to sign. They purposely and defiantly briefly go over the contract. If you question initialing by any of the contract, they claim it’s just a formality and distract you further. Federal and State Dating Service laws indicate 3 business days to cancel a dating service contract. GE/Chicagoland Singles sales persons are conveniently unavailable those 3 business days (not allowing you to cancel). If you contact them immediately after signing the contract (even the next day), they will not give you accurate information on how to cancel. Ultimately if you attempt to cancel even within legal guidelines, they will refuse to let you cancel/or refund your money.

I contacted them several times in an attempt to cancel my contract and ** (Chicagoland Singles representative) made vicious statements such as “too bad, so sad we have your money, go ahead and sue, you will lose,” etc. She was cruel and verbally abusive. If you attempt to contact their manager, ** you are completely denied access. She outright refuses to work with you to resolve the issues. If you take them to small claims court, they will only agree to refund you of your money. In addition, they will threaten you with lawsuits.

Great Expectations (again a nationwide fraud dating service) has had over 5 class action lawsuits filed in various states and over 100 small claims lawsuits. There have been numerous investigative reports including Dateline, 20/20 on their fraudulent business. In summary, during one of the most difficult times of my life (widowed single father), I fell victim to the predatory shyster tactics of Great Expectations/ Chicagoland Singles. It cost me over &7,000, attorney fees, heartache, emotional/physical suffering. Nothing was resolved. **, karma will catch up to you eventually.

My issues with Chicagoland Singles were resolved. Their attorney handled everything in a very professional manner. I am satisfied with the results.

Original Review

Please STAY AWAY from Chicagoland Singles/Great Expectations (CS). I have never encountered such deceptive business practices! They obtained my contact information and made repeated unsolicited contact with me. Unfortunately, I set up and interview at the Schaumburg location. Biggest mistake of my life! During the interview, the saleswoman used very manipulative techniques to coheres me into a contract over 6,000 dollars! ** played on my venerability. I mentioned to her that I have a serious medical disability and I truly felt she used that to manipulate me. She spoke quickly and focused on Irrelevant information as a distraction. She gave inaccurate data regarding their success rate, failed to go into details regarding the contract. Once she got my credit card, there was no return!

I immediately attempted to cancel (the next day) and was misled by the staff regarding their cancellation policy. When I got in touch with **, her response was "we got your money too bad". I have NOT utilized any of their services. I am in the process of contacting the Illinois Attorney General to file a class action lawsuit. CF uses manipulative deceptive practices to exhort significant money from individuals. They prey on your weakness, disabilities to "steal" money and refuse refunds. I plan to pursue as much negative publicity and legal action necessary to expose this deceptive business!

This is the ultimate bait-and-switch. You tell them the type of woman you want, they say no problem, take your money and then don't offer you a single date in your request range. Unreal, look at these reviews. How do they not get thrown in jail for being such a scam? Somebody needs to do something. Call the authorities. It's like the Madoff of dating. They Madoff with all my money.

All you other people who feel you have been scammed, pony up and get an attorney. I signed up years ago and was beyond pissed when I logged in for the first time to learn that all these women they showed me to be active members and single were actually just show ponies, not real members, or "inactive". Tried multiple times to cancel and get a refund the very next day with no success. I filed complaints with BBB, the TX attorney general and I finally paid an attorney to handle this due to misrepresentation and fraudulent advertising.

I did wind up settling with them. I won't disclose the terms but I was able to recoup a significant amount of my payment. It did cost me attorney fees and the whole situation wound up costing me money but there was no way I was going to go away quietly and turn my head after giving them $5000. Trust me, don't be scared of their contract. Hire an attorney and they will fight it. With all the negative reviews, do you honestly think they want to go to court and face a jury trial? You be the bully for once and turn the tables on them and minimize your losses!

Similar story to others, paid huge fee upfront, costly photo shoot, very few men in my age bracket that were with the service. After 3 years, very few contacts, no support from service except to repeat they were not responsible, etc. I asked to join lawsuit in Wa state and would like to pursue this as a class action. How would this get started? The fraud is so similar in the cases I have read here. I deleted the account number as I felt sick whenever I saw the name of this place.

This company also goes by Got Dates?, Amazing Adventures, Have More Dates. They're super suave at selling you on their program(s), even travel to meet you, and are very accommodating. The website is super professional, and they even offer a "refund" policy by saying they'll double your membership time or refund your $ if at the end of their service, you aren't in a committed relationship.

Unfortunately I signed a contract with them -- Agreed to a large upfront payment, with 2 additional installments 30 and 60 days later. I had a surgery near the end of my first 30 days, and was a couple days late sending the first installment. I did receive nice reminders from them that I was late on my part of the contract. Feeling guilty, I went ahead and made both payments within 35 days since I was late. Amazingly, haven't had a date since they received the full amount!

I did have some correspondence with a Jamie McDaniel, "owner," about how her father passed away and she needed to take some time off to deal with that. "No problem! Take all the time you need," I told her. -- Only, several months later, still no correspondence. Finally I threatened legal action, and she emailed to say the paper I needed to sign breaking the contract was "in the mail." Never received any documents or $$. This is SCAM! I'm trying to make everyone aware of this fraudulent behavior in the hopes you don't make the same mistake and fall for their very polished approach. I'm in process of suing for judgment, if for no other reason, than to have it documented to protect others from them.

I would not even give them one star but still shows one. Bilked me out of $3,500 about 10 yrs ago. Thought they would have been put out of business by now and I see they are still going strong. People, stay away from this crooked organization as they will take your money and if you are lucky one date is all you get. Seems like the consumer attorney general can't or won't touch them. Do your homework and read all customer complaints and reviews. Learn from us that have been burnt. Good Luck!

This company is a ripoff and will take your money. I'm an black american and this site is not for us. In the beginning they show you two to three pictures of black american women. When you log on to their site the same three I'm is all you.

I have been a member a year. I froze my account. This company promises you and shows you handsome men that they will set you up. When it comes down to dating them they all say NO, or Inactive.

This company promises you and shows you beautiful women that they will set you up with. When it comes down to dating them they all say no, except for the real ones. Then those I was not interested in. They claim the company does credit checks and some of the women are not classy at all. They say quality we cater to, successful, attractive, starts with dating quality singles. I clicked on 30 woman and 2 clicked back. Everyone else said no or inactive.

I went into Great Expectations looking at joining a nice dating site. The woman on the phone was very pleasant and scheduled me an appointment. When I went in all the women working there were very attractive. The woman I spoke with over the phone and had the appointment with was simply gorgeous. I thought this was the right place. When asked what type of women used this service they said the had lots of women members. I asked if I could see some of the women members. I was told that only members can view other members profiles. So after a 30 minute sales pitch that was a one time only deal of 4100 dollars, I signed up as a member. After becoming a member and had a profile I was selected once and only got one return response. When I complained that the service was terrible and there weren't any women I was interested in or interested in me, all the GE advisor could was I should upgrade to a better package. What a rip off. They mislead you with pretty women in the office then basically have very little clientele.

I have been a member for a year and a half, with a buy in of 8000 and I wish I hadn't. I froze my account for about 3 months but was willing to date almost anyone who asked me. I Had about 8 first dates 5 second dates, a 10 date run with one guy and for the last 8 months, pretty much nothing. I don't have the secret of meeting people, but Great Expectations/Dallas dating company doesn't either. I very much wish I have saved my money. Lately they seem less interested in helping beyond just sending profiles. And when I sel, I never hear back. Just nothing. I could have been unsuccessful dating on my own. I didn't need to pay $8000 first.

Several years ago, my friend and I drove about 60 miles to talk to the people at Great Expectations. We had no idea of how costly and how high pressure their sales pitch would be. I remember them asking us how much our future happiness was worth. They told us both that there were many high quality men in our area who were members, but of course once we joined we found out that wasn't the case.

I went to G.E. after being frustrated with the quality of people on other sites. I had high hopes thinking it would be different. The day I went, the owner of the company talked about my financial status. He asked if it would put me in a bind to pay so much per month for their services. I said it would so he continued to tell me how they personalize everything for you, have someone out meeting people with you in mind and that the quality of people on their site would be worth every penny. He even brought in another employee who said she personally would work with me to find that right someone. I told him I needed to think about it so he dropped the price and pressured me into signing up. I did. I hate to admit it but I did.

I walked out immediately feeling ashamed. There was no going back, nothing I could do. I went back in to take the photos, hoping to make something good from it and while leaving I saw a photo of a friend of mine who they were promoting as a successful married couple. I mentioned that he was a very good friend and they need to take it down because they were engaged for a few months and broke it off. It was not a good situation.

Come to find out, that was true of two others they had listed as "happily married". I did go on two suggested dates and the men were in no way a good match. G.E. even called and emailed to tell me I was the problem by not going back out on another date with them to really see if they were or not. It was a joke. I asked about that "personal" service and they told me they didn't know what I was talking about. It was all a scam. Luckily I have been able to sway several friends from going there but I'm certainly paying the price.

Gave the company $8k for three years of matchmaking. Have been with them for almost 3 months with no activity. No follow up emails from Kari to let me know what's going on. Feel like they just took the money and left me to swim on my own. Contract says no refunds.

I contacted Great Expectations and expressed interest in their dating company. However, when they required my credit card number upfront I became alarmed. The employee Taylor has called my cell phone numerous times, at least 6 times, even after I told her I changed my mind and was not interested. I even told her to please stop calling me but it has not stopped. She is becoming increasingly rude and the last time she called me, yesterday, she asked me, "Do you just not like my name?" I have repeatedly asked her to stop calling but she continues to harass me. Please stay away from this business. They are very unprofessional, even hateful.

After writing 2000 words in detail I got times out. I'm too frustrated to repeat it all. But I can say I did experience everything the others experienced. Intense pressure, threatening calls of lawsuits when I cancelled my check.

Selected 5 times in 6 years - a total of about 10 coffee/ dinner dates. Was I too picky? No! I was very open-minded to race, careers, even disability. I selected over 150 men, I kept records. My profile and pics were quite in line with most other ladies in my age group. Then most recent complaint is that Today - August 29, 2014 I received an email stating they are changing their name. Why? Too much negative publicity?

Stay away from this company no matter what they may call themselves. Never sign a contract for any service on site. I would be more than happy to participate in a Class Action lawsuit. FYI - I was taken for $2500, a man I went to dinner with paid $7000 for the exact same 'plan'.

I have never been so verbally and mentally abused as I have been by the men I have met on Great Expectations site. Stay away from it. They say they do a background check but it's crap, they should do a psychological profile. Then try to get them to cancel your membership is crap. Oh, they will pull you off the website but continue to bill you.

I would never in my life recommend them to anyone. They don't follow up when you have a complaint and do nothing to keep the nut jobs out! You spend a lot of money for nothing. If you want to find someone nice to date stay off this site. I am 57 years old and don't need the abuse I received! If I had wanted that, I would have stayed with the ex husband - at least I would have known what to expect.

Great Expectations Company Profile