Providian

Out of Business

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 I received a call from ARA & Associates that a judgement was filed against me for theft of a credit card account and filing a credit card application under false pretenses through Denton County. Dannie ** stated the paperwork was mailed to my home several times but I never received it and could not tell me when the account was created (only that I had been utilizing the card from 2002 to 2004) and threatened me with a lawsuit because they had been trying to contact me regarding this.

I asked when and where was the account created. I told Dannie that I have never heard of Providian and never had any type credit card nor have permission for anyone to use my name regarding this card. She refused to listen, became belligerent, and kept stating that there payments made throughout those four years. My question, if payments were made why am I being contacted, sued, and why can't you tell me when, where, and how those payments were made. She would only speak on the amount owed, around 3,000.00. I request documents but was refused. Dannie specifically said, "It doesn't matter if you signed them or not, they're signed." I then told her, "This is America, and in America we have rights. No one can illegally use your credentials without consequences." Dannie then hung the phone up in my face. No resolution. Where do I go from here?

I got a letter from their Lawyers stating that my wages will be garnish due to a 2,337.00 Balance owed them since 2000. The Circuit Court in New Jersey approved a judgement in my absent favoring them to collect a debt from 2000. I thought after 7 years, a delinquent account exist no more. I can understand this craziness, but I intend to exercise my rights and fight back.

Recently received a call from Dynamic Recovery Solutions (Greenville, SC) in conjunction with Bureaus Investment Group. These are companies who purchase "debt" from companies in exchange for a percentage of what is collected. They are trying to collect on a debt that is over "10 years" old that was charged off & they made sure my credit history was ruined. Now the above companies are "proclaiming" that account is active. Watch out, these debt purchasing companies are on the rise & don't care how old the debt may be.

Providian, or the LLC who has bought bad debt has placed judgments that I was totally unaware of. I only found out through payroll. I had a credit card that defaulted between 15 & 20 years ago. I was told this garnishee was placed over a year ago. I am going through the same type issue already with a bogus collection agency. I am 63 years old. I am still employed, but with these agencies taking all my money I can barely afford to live. Something needs to be done about this. I don't know how these companies are allowed to do this when no information is provided to the consumer. Info is just sent to the sheriff department and a judgment placed.

In June 2015 I received a call from American Financial Solutions that a legal complaint was being filed against me for theft of a credit card account and filing a credit card application under false pretenses. Jameson ** stated that paper work was mailed to my home several times but I never received it and could not tell me when the account was created and threatened me with a lawsuit because they had been trying to contact me regarding this. I asked when and where the account created. I told Jameson ** that I have never heard of Providian and never had a credit card regarding this card. He refused to listen and I was forced to give him my debit card number so I wouldn't be sued. Then I was sent a document dated March 23rd and the amount was 2115.00 and I was told on the phone by Jameson ** was 1,553.00. I asked them to send me paperwork regarding this account but they have refused.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Providian?

I was retired in 2001 and got behind with all my cards under the name of **. I have now paid all of those cards off. I paid Providian off in 2012 thru Lynx Corp. phone #877-243-2323. LCC file **. Since then I have been hounded by 5 other companies and have sent proof of payments. Today, I was told I was going to be served with papers for Providian for $4,000. I am very sick and in bed a lot and I feel I do not owe them anything, I sure don't have $4,000. I feel like this is harassment. This Habersham and Associates are not nice at all. They are a piece of work. My name use to be **, now it is **.

Harassed would be an understatement. I've recently over the past year combed over my credit report and paid off bills and my student loans, so as all to take care of my past and create a better future. I've only had a credit card with a limit of 300 never a 2000. I've never had this company. I've been told they're from another co smith and associates. I've asked for some docs to support this, can't. I said after a year of harassment why this isn't on my credit report if I've crossed some line of non payment or compliance. No answers. I've no idea what to do on this matter but refuse them. I've no idea who they are or where this fabrication has come from. I've a clean credit report. Nothing of this bill owing. Please make them respect the law.

I received a phone call from a blocked number 3 times back to back. I finally answer the 3rd call and it's a processing center wanting to serve me legal documents. They could not tell me who they were from and referred me to an 888-977-8875 number. Call them, they claim to be a lawyer's office trying to collect on a debt in the amount of $3997.00 for Providian bank. I asked when I supposed had this card, to which they could not answer. All he could tell me was the account was paid on for 21 months then ceased. You can tell me 21 months but not what year? He then told me I can pay the agency $200 to get that info. If you are a lawyer suing, wouldn't you have all off that info at your finger tips?

Also, they have my current address on file. I've only been there 2 years, know every CC I have and pay on my accounts on time. I told him I find it funny they have my current address but no previous address so this is obviously not a card I've had recently, if I've ever had at all. They said they sent a settlement letter 32 days prior (to which I never received) and that they may be able to get that reinstated if I agree to pay $2500. Uh, absolutely not. I stated I've never had a Providian card and monitor my credit monthly and have never seen anything about this. He claims once it goes to lawsuit, it is removed from credit history. If this just happened, why haven't I seen this in the past. Feeling like they are just trying to get money out of me. I am a single mom and not stupid. I also do not want this to bite me in the ass. Not sure what I should do next. Any advise would help. Thanks!

In 1999, opened a credit account with Providia. Fell behind with my payments and got back on with a collection agency paying $100.00 a month in 2004. In 2012, asked for a breakdown of how much has been paid off. Never received anything. The original bill was suppose to be $10,000. I get a court paper in July 2014 dated April 9, 2014 stating I owe $9,140.14 from a law firm. How is this possible? What about all the money I have already paid?

I don't know nothing about any credit card. I had a credit card a long time ago, but I only could spend up to $20.00 and I paid $20.00 a month. And then I stopped paying because I hardly could spend anything on it, and I paid $99.00 for the fees before I got the credit card.

After I had fallen behind on my Providian credit card account, I was contacted by a collection company whose calls I ducked for half a year. When they did finally catch up to me, my financial situation had improved and I agreed to a settlement of about 40% of the original debt. Over the next 6 months, I paid the amount we had agreed to and thought I was done with it. Two years later, I get a call from portfolio recovery associates that I owe Washington Mutual $3,800 not having a clue what they were talking about. I told them I never had a account with Wamu nor was I late on any of my accounts and ended the call.

After a few more of these calls, someone finally came up with the explanation that this was an old Providian debt. I told them that the debt had been settled years ago. They asked me to send them anything I had to support my claims but due to a nasty divorce, I wasn't able to to get anything more than the bank statements showing my payments to Providian. This got me nowhere, and eventually Malen and Associates was handling my account. I told them the same thing I told pra and got the same result so I just stopped answering their calls.

Now ten years later, I lease a car and find out there is a judgement against me, from a company I never spoke to, for a debt I settled, by some lawyer who fabricated information in order to use the court system to steal from me. They even went so far as to lien my parent's home, a property I have never had any financial interest in. I'm due in court in two days, with a order to vacate. I'll let you know how it goes.

I received a call from an investigator Forester. She also called my ex mother-in-law and told her she was investigating a case. I called her back and right from the get go she wanted to be rude and ugly. She threatened garnishment. I told her I do not work and she proceeded to tell me I was married so it didn't matter. I have been divorced for 10 years and have never remarried. I have never had a credit card with Providian and I also informed her that it has been 7 yrs. She told me that since I wanted to be rude, I could deal with some sheriffs dept (couldn't understand what she said... just like when she stated who she was calling for couldn't understand that either).

So they have a number for me that I didn't have back in 2007 and my ex mother-in-law but they do not know that I am divorced and have been back to using my maiden name for over 10 yrs. She stated I was married but kind of hard to be married to a man that has been married and divorced since our marriage. I do not have any credit cards nor never have I ever had one with Providian. I don't appreciate the threats. I am an unemployed single mom and do what I can to provide for us. When I stand my ground then I get threatened.

I was contacted by a Dynamic Recovery Solutions in December 2013 and told that I owed $1599.26 on a credit card that I supposedly opened through Providian in 1999. I never had a credit card until I was 51 years old and it was thru Mattress Firm which means I could only use it at Mattress Firm. I don't know what to do or who to call to get answers.

In 2011 my husband paid in full an old debt, wanting to clean up his credit. All is good, what a great experience. I am so glad he had the thought to make Providian send him a paid in full letter, which they did. Then they sold us to some credit sharks. Then the calls started, about every 3 months, he would get a call from a Credit shark, saying he needed to pay and he would fax over the letter, they would go away. One shark, called back and told him the letter he had was bogus. And he provided her a copy of the bank statement with the same date, showing it had been paid. She went away.

Yesterday 11-11-13, my son who has an Ohio cell phone number, and we are all from Texas, got a call demanding payment. About an hour later my sister in law got the same call, then I had a missed voice mail on my phone, and I was not on the card. They gave our son, amounts owed, and this Cody **, with I think he said MCKellum Group would not give me a fax number to prove. They just want to harass. So this morning, I read on the Attorney General of Texas website about all the laws they broke, and thinking ok, I will give him one more chance to let me clear our name. So I called him, he said, "I'm sorry mam, you're not in our system." I said, "No, I am not but my husband is. And by the way I am recording this call." He said, "I have not given permission to record," and I said, "I have not given permission for you to discuss my husbands affairs with my son, or anyone else." Again, he would not give me the fax number, but wished me Happy Holidays.

I then went on Attorney General's office website, filed a complaint, and followed up with uploading the documentation (proof) and an email, requesting help. If you are being harassed, first, let them know you're recording the conversation, second file the complaint. Lets all band together, and shut these SHARKS, THIEVES DOWN. Because that is exactly what they are doing, trying to steal from hard working people. We paid the Debt we owed, but even if we had not, they are in violation of the law, and we must get it stopped, before some Elderly person, pays over and over and over, for some debt, they think they have. File the Complaint. Tell the creditor your recording the call, and have Greg Abbot's Attorney General for Texas, phone number ready for them. Tell them all your family will record their calls. They are bullies. Shut them down.

I was contacted today by this company called Dynamic Recovery Solution. I was told that I owe Providian National Bank for a credit card from 1998. They said I paid regular payments and then stopped in 2000. So, Sept. 1, 2000, I was placed in collection and since then server companies have bought my account from collections. Mail was sent to my address several times. Told the representative that I never had a credit card from Providian and never received anything in the mail. They provided an address. I said I don't live there anymore. Then the representative told me, "Yes, you did have the card and it was $3,049.07. Now it is $3,658.88. And you have other accounts in the collection. And if you don't pay, we will just send your information back to the company to go to collection."

I told the representative that I wasn't going to pay anything because I never had a card with Providian. And if I had a card with this company, send me the paperwork to show me the proof that I signed documents with this company because this is a card that I never had and I'm not going to pay for something that's not mine. I know what credit cards I have now and had in the past and Providian isn't one. The representative got mad and tried to get me to set up payments. I refused so the representative got mad and was getting ready to hang up on me, then I asked for the supervisor. I was told that they don't have the contact information for Providian that Chase bought them out. I called Chase and gave them my Social Security # and the credit card # that I'm supposed to have with Providian. Chase couldn't find anything in their system with this fraudulent credit card.

Chase representative told me make a report with my local police department because it sound like fraud and to watch my accounts and have my banks do the same. I called Dynamic Recovery Solution back and told Brenda ** that Chase had no record of this card. Then Brenda said the card was originally thru Washington Mutual. I told Brenda, "No, that's a lie because I never had a card with Washington Mutual either and I'm not paying anything. This sound fraudulent. Your company will have to provide proof that I had this card because I didn't. And I'm not going to try and provide proof. Because if I really had this card thru the different companies that you said, you would have proof and not try to threaten me and scare me into paying the fraudulent debt." Someone please tell me this is a joke.

When trying to purchase a home back in 2007, I found out that there was a credit card opened back in 2000 under my name for Providian. I had no knowledge of this account. At that time, I contacted the credit bureau and disputed the account. I also contacted Providian and requested a copy of the signed credit application. They were not able to produce any documentation. I assumed everything had been handled as I did not hear from them for a few years. Until today! Some company called Davis & Co left a message on mine and my fiance's cell phone indicating that I needed to contact them or I would be served paperwork at my place of employment. So my fiance, not knowing what was going on, contacted the company.

At first they were cool. Then they got nasty, stating that the account was opened back in 2000 and that the original owed balance was $895. Now the balance was almost $4,000. Really!!! My fiance tried to tell the person on the phone (who was supposed to be a supervisor) that we had previously requested information on the account to prove it was never opened by me. The woman got nasty and said she did not care, and that they had purchased the account from Chase, who purchased it from WaMu, who purchased it from Providian.

The woman also stated that there was a payment on the account back in 2010 (which definitely was never done by me), and the account was now being processed for garnishment. My fiance was floored. She proceeded to request information on getting the copy of the signature on the original application and the woman hung up. What a joke! This company needs to be investigated. There is something seriously wrong here.

I have received several calls at work from this company with individuals who can hardly speak English but with names Skye ** and Dustin **, who is supposed to be an investigator. I have requested that they do not call me at my job, that it is harassment and illegal. Additionally, Dustin ** told me today, when I asked for a copy of the documentation he had and I would get the situation taken care of within 48 hours, he became upset and told me he will make sure I'll lose my job and go to jail? I cannot have these calls at work. I have no idea what he is talking about and all I want is a copy of the paperwork he said has been filed against me?

I applied for a Providian account back in 2005; the amount was $350.00. I settled the account on February 16 ($161.53) and then on March 2, 2007 ($165). I still have the receipt numbers. I had a debt collector call me and he said that the account was still open. Then, he stated that I owe $1000. I told him that I settled the account. He asked me for proof like a letter. I told him that I would have to find it. So, I called Providian and they have no record of the credit card. This is one of my issues (no accountability of payment).

Just today I get a call from an unknown agency requiring about this same credit card. He thought I was talking over him because I wanted to get some answers, like, “Where did you purchase my account and what was the previous owner other than Providian that had my account?” He gave me a name. So while he was on the phone, I googled the company name and it did not register. My second complaint is why they don’t keep a record of all companies that contact clients soliciting back payment. And thirdly, why do they wait years later and then they want you to produce a letter and they have no information about the account (not even the payments you made) except you owe the creditor.

My deceased wife and my oldest daughter have the same first and last names, different middle initials and of course different social security numbers. They lived at same address. Both had Providian credit card accounts. My wife maintained a current balance of around $3000 on her card and my daughter maintained a current balance of $500 or less on hers. My wife signed up for disability insurance to pay off her account in the event she became permanently disabled. The policy was sold to her by Providian and the premiums were being collected monthly with her payments on the credit card. I believe the first premium was collected by Providian in the Summer of 2003.

My wife was informed by her cardiologist in August of 2004 that she should not work anymore, advised her to apply for social security disability which she did, and meanwhile informed Providian's insurance department of the circumstance. Providian was advised of the circumstance in early September when the September credit card payment was due. My wife applied for social security disability and it was granted. Social security asked for the last date that she was able to work a full 8-hour shift. It was determined that the date was April 15, 2004 and as was their custom, social security back dated her claim to that date. Providian refused to honor the disability insurance claim and stated that the policy called for being advised within 90 days of becoming disabled for insurance claim to be valid. Since April 15 was the date social security established as disabled date & they were not advised until September of same year, that was outside the 90-day advisement window.

Social security and my wife's cardiologist both sent letters to Providian's insurance department stating that the date that my wife was advised to work no more occurred in August 2004. My wife refused to make any more credit card payments as her policy sold to her by the credit card issuer should have wiped her balance clean. She died August 5, 2005. I sent a detailed letter and included the copies of the correspondence from social security and my wife's cardiologists. The collection letters and phone calls ceased for a time, then stepped up big time, but now to my daughter. Providian combined the balances of my deceased wife's account to those owed by my daughter and now is attempting to collect my wife's disputed account from her. Since that time I have explained the situation to numerous collectors. Providian sold the papers 5 years ago and the new investors do not listen either. My daughter’s credit has been severely damaged for a debt she never owed.

I divorced my ex-husband in 2001. We each held separate credit card accounts in our separate names with Providian National Bank. In our divorce decree, my accounts were listed as my debt and his were listed as his. I paid my card off in full in 2002 and closed my account. In 2003, I was contacted by a collection agency (American Recovery Systems, Inc.) attempting to collect the debt owed on my ex-husband's credit card. He apparently provided them a partial copy of our divorce decree and attempted to claim that I owed his debt.

After several letters by my then attorney, I was never contacted by another collection agency. Now, some 9 years later, I have a bad debt on my credit report from them and received a collection letter from Portfolio Recovery Associates. I do not owe this debt. It was never my account. It was proven so to Providian, yet 9 years later, they hand it over to a third placement debt collector attempting to collect something I do not owe and never owed. I never filled out an application for that account, never lived at the address on that account, etc. I am very displeased because now I will have to hire an attorney so that I never get contacted from them again.

I received a judgment letter copy from my payroll company about an order to garnish my wages for an old debt I had with Providian which I already paid in 2007. I had the receipts saved, but I also moved 2 different states since then so I'm struggling to find them. My records from Providian can't be found by Chase who purchased WaMu, which acquired Providian a couple years ago.

The lady at Chase said they didn't get all the WaMu records transferred and they don't know how to even acquire the missing records also. Funny part is, the checking account I used to pay the Providian debt was a WaMu checking account. This is so ridiculous and my payroll dept said the order was 25% of my wages. I have 4 kids to care for and my husband recently lost his job. I don't have a problem paying this if I owe them, but I know I don't and I don't know how I can prove it.

The other thing is the judgment was made unserved because they sent it to an old address of mine in NJ which I had not lived in for over 10 years. I now live in NC and the only thing I can do is file a motion to vacate the order and I have to spend time and money I don't have to go to court in NJ. Can someone please help me? I'm beyond desperate at this point.

They keep harassing my family members and sending me letters from lawyers.

In checking my credit report Providian National Bank has levied a judgment against me in the amount of $2,444.65 in the year 11/04/1999 with the superior court of New Jersey. I have no idea what this matter is about.

A recovery company is trying to get money out of me that I do not owe nor have I ever had an account with this bank or its subsidiaries. Providian National Bank said there was a loan taken out in March 2004 or a credit card. I have not had a credit card since I filed bankruptcy. Providian has never proved that there was an account or anything.

I have had however, my ex-husband, after separation, use my information fraudulently. I am not knowing if this is what happened or not. I want resolve in this issue as I have tried now for years. I have written complaints, letters, etc. The matter was under investigation in April 2010 again. And still just today, I get mail for the same thing. Please help me.

I had a Providian account that I paid off while in collections. I have now received another call from a different agency asking me to pay the same debt! I paid this debt in May 2010, and I am being asked to now pay the same debt. How is this even possible?

I have received papers saying I am being taken to court for garnishment of wages for a total of 5,000 and some odd dollars. The only Providian account I had was in 2001 and I defaulted and settled the balance by paying half the amount. There is no mention of an account on my credit report. A judgment was issued in favor of the attorney for Midland in 2009 which I never knew about until today. What is my recourse?

They sent my account to a collection agency, 10 years after it was paid and closed! What a joke! The collection agency said that I have to pay. I will be fighting this one in court, that's for sure!

As to those who had problems with Providian, I had a card with them about 10 years ago. They keep me in good standing until I defaulted on the card by not paying, because I was so far in debt. As for those who were victim of fraud, it is hard to dispute the claims and hard to remove. However, it is possible to fix. Remember, negative accounts cannot report after 7 years, and bankruptcy is 10 years. If you start to pay on those debts after or during the seven years, the length of time it stays on your credit starts all over again. Do not pay them if you didn’t open the account. If you pay, they will think you were lying and just defaulted due to non payment.

There are ways of telling if you opened it by address, signature, email address, and phone number used. I myself was over $330,000 in debt and had to file chapter 7. I have 6 more years till that is removed but have managed to establish credit. Even disputing items can get them removed. If they can’t verify information or contact creditor, they can’t keep reporting it and will remove the item. It just takes time but it can be done. Get an annual report from all bureaus. They are Transunion, Experian, Equifax, and the fourth that most people don’t know about, it’s called Innovus! I have had creditors use them as well as the big three.

I was in an accident where I was hit by a bus while crossing at a red light. I had a concussion and was left with TBI. Providian was one of my credit cards. I know I have insurance that would pay in case I become disabled. I was taken advantaged of very badly and there was no one there to help me with the insurance on my credit cards in case I had become disabled.

Yesterday I received a letter in the mail stating that I owed $3,039.67 on an account, but they would settle for $1,519.86. This account was opened years ago and has since then been paid off and closed. Interestingly enough, I just moved into a new apartment just 2 months ago and all of a sudden, after years of living in the same city, I receive this letter. I have not, since yesterday, ever been contacted by this company. I do not owe this money!

I called Northland Group Inc. this morning and spoke with "Fred". I told him that this was a closed account from years ago and that I would like more information on just exactly what this was and the burden of proof lies on them and not on me. He told me that I would have to submit something in writing stating that I wanted more information. I told him that I was not going to write to them and that it was their responsibility to verify this debt. I then went on to tell him that I had found the consumeraffairs.com website and saw all of the recent complaints about Providian and their shady business practices. I did not owe this money and was not going to pay. I also mentioned to him that I thought is was strange that after living in the same city for 15 years that I had not once been contacted by this company and now all of a sudden after I move to a new address I receive a collection notice. Once I mentioned the consumeraffairs.com website, he told me he would make a note that I was disputing the claim and he would close out the account.

A couple of years ago, I was duped by a company out of New York for hundreds of dollars. They finally stopped hounding me once I had the Indiana State Attorney General's office contact them. This has scam written all over it. Even the "collection notice" looks shady.

Providian Company Profile