4.2/5 (224 ratings)

About Netspend

Netspend offers prepaid debit cards from Visa or Mastercard with no activation fees and no minimum balance requirements. You can qualify for its services without a credit check. The company has multiple loading options, including by direct deposit, through your phone or at a reload station.

Pros

• No activation fee
  • No minimum balance requirement
  • No credit check

Cons

• Daily spending and withdrawal limits
  • Fees associated with transactions

Bottom Line

Netspend prepaid cards are easy to sign up for, and the company has no credit check and no activation fee for online orders. You pay fees monthly or per transaction, but the card doesn’t require a traditional bank account.

Top Netspend Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had Netspend for a while now and I love them. The app is amazing and I can get my paycheck up to two days earlier. Anytime I have any kind of questions, I can always reach th...

Verified

I'm happy to be with Netspend. I've been with them for years and I love it. In fact, I'm trying to get my mom and my sister to join it too. It's easy to use the reload locations a...

What is Netspend?

Netspend offers prepaid cards from Visa and Mastercard. These cards provide the convenience of a debit card without requiring a bank account. The company does not conduct credit checks, and the cards are a useful way to receive paychecks through direct deposit if you do not have a bank account. Direct deposit funds could be available on your card up to two days faster than a paper check.

When you sign up for the Netspend’s mobile app, you can check your account balance, send and receive money on the go, find the nearest reload location and check recent transactions. Netspend also features a rewards program and an interest-earning savings account.

Netspend’s services also let you transfer money from friends’ or family members’ accounts.

How does Netspend work?

Once you’ve signed up for a Netspend prepaid card, you receive your card within seven to 10 business days. There is no credit check, but you must verify your identity — the company limits usage on cards without verified identities.

Netspend sends transaction alerts to your phone so you know when you receive deposits, when transactions go through or get declined and when your balance is getting low. Netspend cards come with zero-liability fraud protection in case someone uses your card fraudulently. You can also enroll in a protection plan that covers overdrafts up to $10.

As long as you have funds in the account, you can use the card at any location that accepts Visa and Mastercard.

How much does Netspend cost?

Netspend does not charge an activation fee. When you load the card and begin using it, the company charges fees to your account. You can choose a monthly reduced rate plan or pay-as-you-go fee structure that charges per transaction.

Netspend charges a monthly rate of $9.95 or $1.50 per transaction. You can save on monthly fees by enrolling in direct deposit. Other fees for Netspend’s services include:

• ATM withdrawals: $2.50
  • ATM balance inquiries: 50 cents
  • Cash reloads: $3.95
  • Over-the-counter cash withdrawal fee: 2.75% of the total or $4.00, whichever is greater
  • Account-to-account transfers: $4.95 when done by an agent

There are no fees for direct deposit or paper check services if you use Netspend’s mobile app, and bill payment fees vary. If you do not use your card for 90 days, you will be charged a $5.95 inactivity fee.

Netspend FAQ

How long does it take to receive my Netspend card in the mail?
It takes seven to 10 business days to receive your Netspend card in the mail.
How do I get a Netspend card?
You can apply for a Netspend card online. You need to verify your identity, but there is no credit check required. The company asks you to provide your name, street address, date of birth and some additional personal information.
When will my direct deposit be available with Netspend?
When you enroll in direct deposit with your Netspend card, funds could be available up to two days earlier than a paper check.
How do I find my routing number and account number for Netspend?
Your routing and account numbers are available on your online Netspend account, by texting Anytime Alerts or by calling customer service.
What is the daily withdrawal limit for NetSpend?
The daily ATM withdrawal amount from Netspend is $940. You can withdraw up to $325 per transaction with a limit of six withdrawals in 24 hours.

Is Netspend legit?

Netspend prepaid cards are processed by Visa and Mastercard. While Netspend charges fees, its prepaid cards are available with no credit check. You do not need a bank account, but your card is eligible for direct deposits that can get you paid up to two days faster than a paper check. Netspend also offers extra features, such as a mobile app that lets you deposit paper checks by using your smartphone. If you don’t have time to get to the bank to cash or deposit checks, this convenience can help you pay bills on time.

Netspend Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Netspend?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

My son bought a card for his daughter for school, and he bought me one so that I would have one as well. I don't use a credit card, and this way, if I'm broke down or if I do something, I have a bit of extra money with me. I don't like credit cards for the simple reason it's too easy to steal them. I use my Netspend card so that it's like a debit card. I prepay for it so that I can only have that much money there in case somebody wants to steal it.

Another thing is you go somewhere then somebody tries to take your money by whatever means, they can get into your credit system. With a Netspend card, they can't, because all I got in there is what I put in there. If I hand my card to my grandson and say, "I want you to fill up the gas cans for my lawnmower," and he decides he wants to fill up his car, the only thing that he can do is what's in it. If there's only $30 in it, then he could only spend $30, period. I won't have an overdraft on it. My son, my granddaughter and I use Netspend all the time, and I recommend it to friends.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

With NetSpend, I can get my direct deposit two days earlier. They let me know when it's being processed. A lot of the other places I went to like Chime and RushCard always have default and discrepancies in their cards and plans. Ever since I've been with NetSpend, I've never had any discrepancy. Even when there's something on NetSpend that isn't supposed to be there, they do their own investigation and they remove that and put the money back on the card. Last month, I found a default. They didn't return my $20 payment but I didn't worry about that. I didn't say anything because NetSpend said it was gonna take a while. But the $20 never made it on the card. But I'm still not mad because of that and I'm still on NetSpend.

When I lost my child's mother due to breast cancer, I told NetSpend about it and they switched the card to the breast cancer pink card for me. I like them compared to anybody else I have been with. What puts NetSpend above everybody including banks and credit unions is that they do not charge all that extra for overdraft. It’s a certain amount you had to get to before they even start charging the overdraft. Also, they only let you go a certain length of overdraft. So that’s like budgeting and managing your money which is great.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I need to have Netspend as a convenience to use the ability to put cash onto it and use it, and not carry cash in your pocket because it’s dangerous nowadays. I always reload at Walmart and it’s very quick to do that but there’s a new program and Netspend sent me the ability to get into that. It's an upgrade from the regular card that I got. There are more features on that one but I haven’t been able to get myself into it. I came to see if I could make a call and upgrade without getting on the internet and doing this, that and the other. But I couldn’t upgrade over the phone the way I’d like to do that on my other ones. I was uneasy and disappointed with that. I tried to speak with an agent three times and it was round and round. It was a little frustrating. Plus the time wait when they put you on hold. So, I’m glad I wasn’t holding my break. Talking to computers normally irritates me.

I had an incident one time where my charge got denied and it was one that I was going to make online. I don’t use my card for anything online but it was something that I was gonna get in this one program. Netspend said that I needed to call them and I did. They said they wanted to make sure it was me. I appreciated that they were protecting me.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I like that NetSpend didn't let outside affairs affect my account, like child support, anything with the state or federal. They wouldn't hold my check and say that I can't cash my check. The Anytime Alert is awesome too because it helps me keep track of my spending. The only downside to that was with the utility bill, Liberty Utilities. What happened was, I made a payment on the wrong account of the utility bill. I got the last two digits wrong when I paid my bill. Then, they were saying, "You've made a payment on another account." I said, "Can you guys give me my money back so I can put it on the right one?" It was a big hassle. It took about a couple of months, it was awful. I asked Netspend, "Could I get a receipt?" They said, "The receipt on your Anytime Alerts is a receipt." I said, "I talked to utilities, and I sent them that text of the Anytime Alerts, but they wouldn't honor that." They didn't say it was a real receipt. I couldn't use that.

I also had a really bad experience with it once. I go and use my Netspend card at the gas pump. It works, but then they take $70 for a deposit. That happened to me three times and I've never seen that $70 ever in all these years. But I have used Direct Deposit when I went to work for a few companies and it works great. I've gotten my check two days before everybody else does and they got regular bank accounts.

Original review: June 12, 2021

I enjoy Netspend. My wife and I both have one. I have a set amount that we budget for just miscellaneous. It takes the money out of our regular accounts where we pay bills and it allows us to have a little bit of money just for each one of us, our own little budget for spending. So when it's all gone, it's gone, and I have to wait for next month.

It works really well and we know how much we have all the time. One thing I like about it is when I do a purchase, it tells me immediately. I get a text of the purchase that I made and how much I have left in my balance. I have had my card number stolen a few years ago and I immediately got the text that someone spent money on my card, so I called Netspend and they canceled. They stopped my card so they couldn't buy anything else. I had to do a dispute claim, which took a little while for me to get the money back. But they did put it back. And it took a few days to get a new card, so I couldn't find anything for a few days. But everything was on hold until I got the new card. But I was still pretty satisfied with how it worked.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 17, 2022

Company closed my debit card and saying they can’t activated my card because of the previous card they closed in few months but I told them that I didn’t want a fraud claim to be open and that the charge is valid so they closed it and I’m unable to use any Netspend cards in the future.

Hello,

Our records show that an agent from our Corporate Office has reached out to you.

Netspend

Original review: May 15, 2022

I do the direct deposit off the internet so it's faster. I like that it's connected to the debit card. Also, their customer service team is excellent.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: May 9, 2022

I ordered a new card that was never received and the old card is not recognized by your automatic telephone system. I have not been able to get through to a customer service representative because the prompt does not transfer the call to a human being and the $22 that was on my account was not returned to me because I never received the replacement card.

I also tried to make a payment using my Netspend Business Card three or four times to Coterie which is an insurance company and although they stated that the payment went through they continued to bill me stating that the card did not work. They canceled my policy. I did not have trouble using the card with other companies around the same time and I am certain that I had enough funds to cover their $20 payment. I also have trouble logging into my online accounts often. Is it possible that someone is working for your company as well as other companies and using the personal information of your customers?

Netspend response

Our records show that an agent from our Corporate Office has reached out.

Original review: May 3, 2022

My experience with Netspend has been great. I like the convenience that I get from it. I spend a lot online and in stores, I use my credit card, but I like to use my Netspend card for some reason. And if you have a savings with Netspend too, it bills interest in your savings.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 3, 2022

I used my bank card on 4/21 at a gas station. About an hour later $1009 was taken from my account from a bank atm in a town over two hours from where I work and live. I filed a dispute as soon as I got the text messages about my account balance and canceled the card. It was in my possession the whole time and a skimmer was obviously used. I sent them screen shots and a copy of my police report. It’s now 5/2 and no one has even contacted me about the process or where they are at. Still no money back onto my card either. I send emails to their dispute email that provided to me with no response. You need to keep your clients updated on the process and what’s going on instead of leaving them hanging. Claim #**. Reference number ** for reference.

Hello,

Our records show that an agent from our Corporate Office has reached out.

Netspend Company Information