2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.23/5

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

BOTTOM LINE

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

PROS

• No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals

CONS

• $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Top Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Green Dot is the greatest thing ever. It’s much easier to bank with and I get no late fees, hidden fees or phone calls. The alert message telling me how much is in my account is always on time… It also helps me keep my money in order. I'm so happy with Green Dot.

I like not dealing with the bank. I was getting my paychecks put on the Green Dot card and it's easy to use. Also, I have the app where I can check my balance. A lot of times when you're out and about, you lose track of your money. So I can always go back, pull it up, and look.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Unsubscribe at any time.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is Green Dot?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are reloadable debit cards that serve as an alternative to traditional bank accounts and let you load your paychecks directly onto the card for free. The company provides an easy-to-use mobile app and flat-rate monthly fees, and the card is accepted anywhere in the U.S. that accepts Visa.

Prepaid cards are easier to get approved for than some other types of banking solutions, which makes them a good option for those with bad or no credit.

Other people who like the flexibility and control of prepaid cards include:

• People traveling across the country
    • Parents giving kids an allowance
    • People who want to manage their spending
    • People who don’t like traditional banks

How do Green Dot cards work?

You can easily set up a Green Dot prepaid card to receive direct deposits from paychecks, government deposits or tax returns for free. You can also use the mobile app to deposit checks online.

Once you’ve put funds onto the card, it can be used like any other debit card. It can be used anywhere that accepts Visa, so it's accepted at many locations around the world. Many retailers, including Kroger and 7-Eleven, allow for free cash withdrawals when you check out.

How much are Green Dot cards?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards has a $7.95 monthly charge for users who deposit less than $1,000 on the card each month. There is no monthly fee for those who deposit more than $1,000 per month. It costs $3 to withdraw money from ATMs and around $6 to reload cash onto the card.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards also offer:

• Free direct deposit
    • Free ACH transfers
    • Free mobile check deposit
    • Free mobile app
    • Free withdrawals from select stores

Green Dot FAQ

How do I access my Green Dot account?
    You can either use the company’s online website or mobile app to access your account.
    What prepaid cards work with Green Dot?
    Green Dot offers prepaid Visa cards.
    What bank is associated with Green Dot?
    Green Dot partners with Bonneville Bank and the U.S. Treasury.
    Is Green Dot a real bank?
    The Green Dot Corp. is an American financial technology and bank holding company.
    How do I activate my Green Dot prepaid Visa card?
    You can activate your Green Dot card on the company’s website.
    Do Green Dot cards have a chip?
    Yes, Green Dot cards have a chip for added protection.

Is Green Dot safe?

Green Dot prepaid cards are a good solution for customers who want more control over their spending without the hassle of using a traditional bank. Because the cards don’t help build credit, Green Dot Prepaid Cards aren’t the best long-term solution for building a better financial history. However, the reasonable monthly fees and free deposits, transfers and retailer withdrawals make the cards an affordable and straightforward solution that can be attractive to many.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I’ve had this card for a while now. It's working out pretty good. My paydays are earlier than before. The app is awesome because I can put stuff in my Stash. Even if I have a car payment coming out of it, they can’t take the money off of there, even if it’s in my Stash and there’s enough. I’ve enjoyed that because then they have to call me, and I could tell them that they can take it. As soon as I switch it over, I don’t have to wait a tremendous long time to use it. I’m really impressed with the card.

The one thing that I ran into with this card was when they have promotions going around. For example, I'm only up to 100 with my cashback tracker, and then there was a time when they were having a promotion where it was up to 2, if not plus. But it didn't work for me like that. I can’t sign up for them because I’m already a cardholder. They should email cardholders or shoot us a text to tell us if they have this promotion going around, and then provide the promo code. I’m a faithful cardholder that uses this card for my work, my direct deposits, and it’s my everyday card.

Last year, I used the card for my income tax. They had some promotion going around last year where you could get so much money if you use this card for Green Dot. But I couldn’t do it because I’m already a cardholder. So that kinda sucks. And then I tried doing it one time, and they sent me another card. Also, whenever I go to certain places, I can’t use my card there because they’ll charge me twice. I don’t get why that does that. We have a Trex in Trimble that does it often. I’ll go in there to get gas and spend 50 bucks, but when I looked again, it charged me 50 bucks before I even pumped my gas.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have enjoyed using my Green Dot card, I use it for my direct deposit every payday as well as every day purchases, bill pay as well as online purchases. I have not had any problems when I use it. I have only had dispute a couple charges since having my card and they made it quick and easy for me to do so. I have recommended Green Dot to multiple friends and family members who have had no complaints after getting a card for them self.

So with that said I only have 1 complaint with my Green Dot experience, my 12 month cash back amount was $250 when I first activated my card and I used my card enough that within a few short months I had nearly hit the $250 mark. I was currently around $240 and I logged into my account one day and noticed my 12 month C.B. amount had been changed to a $100 limit, I contacted customer service about this and they reassured me that it would be changed back to my original amount of $250.

Well it has been months now since I was told it would be corrected and it still has not been fixed. I have not been able to get any answers on why it still has not been corrected. Only thing I have been told is that something happened that made it drop to the $100 limit but it would be fixed. No one can tell me when it will be.

But like I said this would be my only complaint I have at this time with your service. Other than that I have enjoyed using my card. But if you can help me with my 1 and only issue I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time and reading my review.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

A prepaid debit card is a bank account, but if there is not much funds in there and it gets lost, nobody can do anything with it. So, I basically use my Green Dot for purchases online versus using my bank card online. Making purchases online went through well every time, and it is a little bit better than what PayPal does. I like its convenience.

Some of my bills have gotten to the point where they want to connect it to a specific account as far as paying one bill, and I can make sure there is enough in there to cover the phone bill when it is coming. I do not have to worry about having written a check against what was in there, and then all of a sudden, they shut me off because I had not paid them. My phone bill and my car insurance are what gets paid, besides taking care of my eBay account. The direct deposit options takes care of my phone bill and my car insurance comes out of my paycheck and gets put into that account. That way, I do not even see it.

One of the cash machines that I use every once in a while gets frustrated with me because it wants it to have a chip on it, and mine is old enough that it does not have it. I was kinda hoping to have a chip when I got the new card, but it did not. There has been one instance where they had to manually put it in. So, it was an inconvenience for the manager, but they got it through okay.

Hello Allen,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We value the opportunity to help people with their financial needs and do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Green Dot Card and all of it's great features.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I needed a prepaid card but by the time that it came in the mail, I didn’t end up needing it so I just put it in my wallet. Then, I ended up getting my job and getting direct deposit using my Green Dot card. It also has a stash on the app like a safe box. I could put money in there so I don’t end up spending it. So, if I swipe and it was a $50 purchase and I only have $20 in my card, it’ll decline it even though I have the other $30 in my stash box. I like it. And as for the direct deposit, I get them a day early.

However, reloading the card was a process the first time I did it. It made me never wanna put money on it again because of how long it took. I went to a Cumberland Farms ‘cause that’s where the app told me one of the spots were. They had the cards there, but didn’t really say they were the reload cards. So, the lady wasn’t understanding, and wasn’t getting it. Then, she was asking other people that were there. They weren’t able to figure it out and didn’t even know that I could put money on it. It wasn't a thrilling experience. But other than that, I enjoy the card. If somebody doesn’t want a bank account like me, I would definitely tell them to do Green Dot.

Hello Teresa,

We're so happy to hear that you like your Green Dot Card and appreciate your feedback. Feedback from wonderful customers such as yourself assist us in becoming better at what we do. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Green Dot Card and all of its great features. Thank you so much for being a loyal customer.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I had a Visa Green Dot a while ago. And then, I didn't work for seven years because I was taking care of my grandmother with dementia. So, I just let the card expire. When she passed away and I went back to work, I looked for Green Dot because I never had any problems with them. I picked up my card at Kroger. And after I got it, I told everybody about it.

We get paid on Fridays, but by Thursday morning, my pay stub goes on and I get an email from the main office from Pennsylvania, and then my check's on there by 5:30. All my paycheck goes on there and it's not like I got extra cash in my hand, and that helps. I leave my card at home. That way, if I don't need anything, I'm not spending because I want something that I don't need. Since then, I've been able to save a bit more. I try not to have to reload it because it's five bucks to reload it. So if I get cash back, it's just for something that I needed.

I love Green Dot card. I love how the transactions are right there. If I have any questions, I've got an answer right away. Every time I've called, everybody has been helpful. I've never had anybody transfer me to somebody else and I really like it. I've recommended Green Dot card and I tell everybody, "Get that. That way, you don't have to call for your transactions. It comes right up on your phone."

Hello Teri,

Thank you for being our valued customer and your business over the years. We look forward to working with you for many more years to come. We value your business and thank you for your continued support. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Green Dot Bank

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Green Dot continues to charge me a monthly fee, despite, I have a monthly Direct Deposit of $1200. I used to be able to file a complaint online. Now in order to get my money back, I have to snail mail them a paper complaint. They make it inconvenient to fight for it. I have had Green Dot for 5 years and this is the 7th or 8th time I have to demand the fee back. They also removed the feature that allows you to look back at payment history and pull up transactions by the company. This used to be a convenient debit account, but Green Dot has lost credibility with me.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Lost my money and got no help from them at all. Not even a "I am sorry". I asked them to stop transaction and they would not and they closed my card and hung up and I heard not another word from them and I am sure I won’t. **

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

I had unauthorized transactions on my account. I called them to dispute the transactions. My account was closed because of the fraudulent transactions. I had more money on my account. They would not send me a new card. I have to keep calling them, waiting on the investigation to be complete before they will send me a check for my available funds. They will not automatically send the check. I have to keep calling. If my account is closed and I have funds, why are you holding my money?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

I had to close my account because it was hacked 4 times all because someone called and guessed some information. The security of my account was horrible from the start. Someone stole my card and was able to get 500 dollars about two or three years ago. Still never got my money back or a call back so I cancelled my account. Now they are giving me a hard time about sending me my money that was in my account as of 8/13/20. Don't bother with this company.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2020

August 10th 2020 I received my Sba loan onto my Green Dot card shortly after my account was flagged for unusual activity and up for review! I waited for multiple weeks to receive my loan only to have it put on hold and possibly lost because of where I had it deposited. My business has been greatly affected by the Corona Virus and it was a sigh of relief when I learned of the loan available to help small businesses get back on their feet! Now when I logged into my account tonight it says my account is closed after they had me send in my ID my business license and my proof of government funding eligibility. I am almost to the point of tears because of the devastation this all has been to my business that I'm on the brink of losing if this isn't situated ASAP!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Information