Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

Pros

• No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals

Cons

• $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Bottom Line

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

No response received
Original review: July 5, 2018

They take 9.95$ as a monthly fee like come on y’all cards are like 1.50$ and a CVS or free... and they randomly take money off my card leaving me with a negative balance. And when I call and ask them they say I have to reload my card to get my money back. I was late on my damn bill. Green Dot truly to god sucks. Get you a PayPal.

Hi Lee,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your account but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

No response received
Original review: July 4, 2018

I paid to have a new card sent by Friday. The card arrived with a block on it, before I could even use it! Green Dot just blocks your account, whenever they want, and there is nothing you can do! The customer service number gets you to the Philippines. The staff are of no help whatsoever. Green Dot needs to do better by its customers!

Hi Betsy,

Original review: July 3, 2018

On Monday of last week the 25th of June I ordered a new card because my old one was damaged. Then on Thursday I called Green Dot and was told that my card that was put in the mail was received and activated so Green Dot reissued me a card. On Friday I called once again and was told that The card that was issued on Thursday was also received and activated. On Monday the 30th imagine my surprise when the original card was in my mailbox unopened. Now because of all of the activity they have blocked my card. I cannot even fix it because I only have the card that was sent by mail. I have been with Green Dot for 8 years and now because of their mistake they want me to prove my identity and I can't because I do not have a valid card. Before all of this I trusted them but not anymore. By the way I cannot get anyone on phone because I am blocked. That means I will lose my power and water tomorrow, this is BS.

Hello Angel,

Our records indicate that you spoke with a supervisor from our office. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions or concerns that you’d like to discuss.

Thank you!

Original review: July 3, 2018

My experience with Green Dot Prepaid Card has been horrible. I used this card one time and they blocked. I have been trying to get my card unlocked for 6 days so my family and I won't be on the streets cause we are homeless. They could care less. Each time you call they tell a different story and I'm so frustrated now cause we will be sleeping in the car just because they won't release my funds again. I save my funds. There is no upper power you can talk to at least that's what they say and you can't find the number online. I don't recommend anyone to buy this card.

Hi Andrea,

Original review: July 2, 2018

This card has ruined my whole week. My boyfriend went to our local CVS to get me a prepaid card so we could pay our car payment. Normally I do the card buying and I have never even seen these Green Dot ones. Well it just so happened to be the one he picked up. He 260 dollars on the card to make the payment and went back to the car to register it. They told him there was an error registering it. He proceeded to call them to see what was wrong and when he FINALLY got a person they hung up on him as he was making his complaint. He called me at work to let me know what was going on so I called.

When I finally got through to someone, which took me just about my whole hour's break, she told me they could not verify his info so they could not activate the card. I don't know how on earth they could not verify him. He's had the same birthday and SS number his whole life. We've never been denied for anything. She then told me she would issue a refund check and it would take TWO WEEKS to get to us. Well try explaining that to my ** loan company for my freaking car. I've tried calling back multiple times to talk to someone else and have gotten nowhere and have not reached another person since. I have a feeling I won't be seeing that money again. I am literally sick over this. 260 dollars might not seem like a lot to some people. It's definitely a lot to us! I've never been scammed in my life. I'm in shock. How can places still be selling these cards?!?!

Hi Amber,

Original review: July 2, 2018

Please know what you're getting into by ordering prepaid cards from Green Dot. I bought my card from Food Lion. I loaded my funds and register my card and forgot to put in my mobile number. They told me I failed verification without mobile number, but are willing to send me a check and it will take 3 weeks. But can use card for in store purchase and not online. The customer service are extremely rude. When ask to talk to an supervisor, she tried to disguise her voice. Don't buy this card. It's a ripoff and it's hard to get in touch with customer service. They need stickers saying don't use this card if you don't have a mobile number.

Hi Kimberly,

Original review: July 1, 2018

I purchased a Green Dot prepaid card, and loaded $20 onto it. It was the last bit of money I had, and wanted to have a means to save money, and be able to order items off the net. I quickly found out my account was frozen and I was unable to use it. This was all due to the fact that a few years prior I had allowed my fiance to use my card to direct deposit her tax refund onto. I did not find out that my account had been flagged until I purchased another card through Green Dot. I was told that I needed to submit a copy of my Driver's license and the flag would be lifted. When I was finally able to send them my license the flag was lifted a few days later but now it said my balance was zero 0.00.

I called and called and spoke to customer rep... was hung up on the first time, and was given the runaround by people I could barely understand. What I was told is that they took my $20 for fees for monthly charges even though I was unable to use my card. And after all that they closed my account, told me they couldn't give me back my money because I no longer had an account and told me there wasn't anything I could do. So I spent $25.00 all together and had nothing to show from choosing to trust Green Dot but a useless piece of plastic with my name on it. I have sent them a letter to the address they list on their website explaining my situation but after my dreadful experience of being "taken" I am not holding my breath. Buyer beware!

Hi Joseph,

Original review: July 1, 2018

I am hardworking parent and I am educator that knows how things should be done. I made a couple purchases and my Card was blocked. I submitted the documents that was needed and now they are stating that my account is closed, I have direct deposit through my employer and I am upset and will be looking to take this matter to court.

Hello Jamika,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I've had my acct. for about 6 months. I've done a few mobile deposits and understood when they said the first one may take longer since I just started using it, but normally I will have my money in 1 business day. Did a mobile deposit this morning for a state issued tax refund check. They send my email approving it and tell me I'll get my funds on July 10th... in TEN DAYS. Are you kidding me? I could have paid a small fee and cashed it today. Then I'm told I can't retract the deposit that hasn't cleared yet, I have to wait the 10 days. After I get my deposit I WILL CANCEL MY ACCT. AND WARN OTHERS!!

Hi Amber,

Original review: June 30, 2018

If I had a score lower than one I would just put that as well! I have had nothing but a horrible experience with this company. I will not stop writing BAD reviews on Green Dot until someone gets back to me about my money which was taken due to unusual activity. I submitted all documents request and STILL NEVER RECEIVED A ** ANSWER!!! Green Dot is a PONZI scheme that holds people's money and sits on it forever!!! I will smile the ** day your bank is doomed!!

Hi Joshua,

Original review: June 30, 2018

I wish I had seen these comments before having my direct deposit out on this card. I had over 2200 stolen first time. I filed dispute. It was denied. Then when it was resubmitted I was told to get a police report which I did. I also had a letter from the place my card was used and compromised and still denied. It's crazy how much money they have stolen from others.

Updated on 08/20/2018: My dispute was denied on here. Green Dot said they would be in touch but I have not received a call. I want to know how to take it to arbitration since it's part of the cardholder agreement. That's how we would handle things.

Hi Rachel,

Original review: June 29, 2018

Earlier this week, I called Green Dot to cancel my card because it was lost at my place of employment. I paid to have the card expedited so that I could receive it by Friday. Thankfully, the card arrived on time. However, when I tried to activate it, I was told that the card was blocked! There was no way to speak with anyone to help me. The automated service requested verification of my identity, which I provided immediately. Then I was told that this process would take two business days. So I wait in total frustration!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Do not give this company any money. They are a complete scam and are committing fraud on a massive scale. They make it extremely easy to contact them to open an account, but have made it absolutely impossible to contact them to get your money back. They screw up your personal info so you cannot use the call in customer service and simply ignore you if you try to communicate with them via their Facebook Customer Service page.

Hi Todd,

Original review: June 29, 2018

I received my direct deposit on 6/28/2018. On 6/29/2018 they closed my account for a reason no one could provide me. I was then put on hold for an hour to speak with a "supervisor." The lady was far from a supervisor. They said I would receive a check in 10 business days. I asked if they could do a wire transfer Western Union anything at all FedEx one day shipping but the lady said, "That's the only option we have." "Like what do you mean you can't walk to FedEx and drop something off?" For something to take 10 days they would have to ship it out 5 days from now.

I have kids I need to feed, gas for my car to go to work, my rent is now going to be late. I will have to pay a 100 late fee. Why you may ask? Because they closed my account for no reason and they can't re "open" it. They are clueless dumb. Have no common sense to anything and have no true desire to help you. They will only read off their manual script, "So sorry sir for the long wait but we can't help you," nor do I actually care to. She then said I could wait up to one business day to speak with a manager. "Ummm I waited an hour to speak with one which was suppose to be you."

If you want stress, terrible customer service then join Green Dot. Any bank I mean any bank is better than this at. NetSpend isnt awful but they at least sometimes go outside the box for customers. Not these guys. Miles while pay Walmart 99 cents to cash your check then 99 cents to pay bills via Western Union. You're already paying them 10 dollars a month just to have the account then 4.95 for every reload.

Hi Dylan,

Original review: June 29, 2018

I am new to the Green Dot card, but haven’t had any complaints until now. I received my direct deposit, but was unable to withdraw money out of my account. It said it was block and needed further review. I had not used my card in about a week or so. When I called customer service, they said there was suspicious activity on my account, but they would not tell me what it was, they said that I had to email them a photo of my driver's license and after they received it I couldn’t use my card for 2 more days. Well this is the 2nd day and my account is still blocked.

I have had to call numerous places and tell them that I can’t pay my bills right now. No one informed me about any suspicious activity or I could have gotten it taken care of long before my direct deposit hit. So now I have the money in my account but can’t use it. I have no gas and my kids are out of school for summer and we are in need of groceries. I’m sure there is a way easier way of confirming someone’s identity than this, this is beyond ridiculous.

Hi Kristy,

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have load my card with a deposit of $295 in hopes of renting a car. The first place I went to Budget Car Rental tried to place a hold for $200 and was declined twice so I called the service number on back of card and was told that there was no activity placed on the card. So I left the place thinking they did not want to rent me car and were jerking me around. So I went to another rental place. Deposit same amount $200. Enterprise rental car same thing. Even the manager got involved. Said there should be no reason why the card should not go through due it was a major credit. Tried 3 times. Decline all three times. Call services again and was told there was no activity on the card for it to be declined and if so they will be able to give me a reason why, so at this point I'm stump and thinking, "There is something wrong with the card, like the strip on the back of card. Damage."

So I went to a local store. Made a small purchase and it was approved so I was like, "What is going on." So I went to one last rental car Thrifty Car Rental. Deposit only $90 this time. Had a $290 credit limit and the card was decline twice. Called customer service once again. Same thing. They see no activity far as being declined but it was at three locations. Even ask to speak with a supervisor and was unable to help. They were clueless. Ask if the issues can be escalated to a higher department and was told there is nothing else can be done in the event. Had to catch Lyft in Los Angeles to all three locations and wasted $47.40 to be exact to rent a car with a card I should had been able to. I am very dissatisfied that I was unable to get the issue resolve and lost money in the long run. I highly do not recommend use of this card if trying to rent a car and I had a very important meeting the following day.

Hi James,

Original review: June 29, 2018

This is the worst company ever. I got my Green Dot. Got paid from my job and it's been ten days and they have not released my money. If you all want to keep your money I repeat don't use this card. Customer service is **. No one wants to help. It's a wild goose chase to get money that belongs to you. I want to sue but don't know how to go about. This company is the worse. Now here it is finally July 1. Still no money. All I want is my money. I have no lights and two children. These people do not care.

Hi Jaquillia,

Original review: June 28, 2018

I order a Green Dot Card and got one going on 2 weeks ago and I tried to activate it but I couldn't, they said that the couldn't verify me. Well just yesterday I got an email saying my Green Dot card will be here and I got it that same day but I didn't order a new one but I tried to active it and I couldn't because it say my card numbers and or 3 security numbers are wrong. And I really need my card and I done double checked everything and nothing seems to work. I tried on the laptop and cell phone online and I called the number.

Hi Keyonna,

Original review: June 28, 2018

My card was declined several times today, and when trying to call and ask why, I got a response to please hold for a rep and then it said there were technical difficulties and hung up on me. Now when I call it says that they saw I called several times and that my status hasn't changed and my card is blocked and I should know why based on my previous calls... But I never talked to anyone!!! I have a trip planned this weekend and have no money as my direct deposit is now blocked!

Updated on 7/4/2018: I’ve called every day. Even though I sent my documents June 28 I was told they didn’t receive them until June 30 and my 2 business days start from there. It is now July 4 and now I’m getting told it takes 5 business days!! I asked where I can find that in writing as the automated system and everywhere else says 2 business days. She told me it changed on July 2 which is a lie and a joke, and either way my case started prior to this “change”. I asked for a supervisor and was told I was speaking to one, another lie. They are illegally holding my money and lying and I will be filing sanctions against them for their illegal practices.

Hello Melissa,

Our records indicate that you spoke with a supervisor from our office earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to address the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right.

Thank you!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I've been getting my direct deposit just fine for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Then today all of the sudden I can't get access to my direct deposit. I've been calling the number on the card for customer service all morning with no luck. The automated system keeps saying they are experiencing technical difficulties. I have bills to pay and want my money. How can you keep people from accessing their own money. Soon as I get my money I will not use Green Dot prepaid card again. BEWARE.

Hi Carla,

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have been a customer of Green Dot for many years. I've had no complaints up until now. There's absolutely NO WAY to speak with a live person! Talk about frustrated. My check for some reason has NOT been deposited today and it's not an issue with my job and of course I can't speak with someone to figure it out. Very disappointed and most likely will be cancel my account.

Hi Shilea,

Original review: June 27, 2018

My Direct Deposit. Green Dot Bank haven't you done me the ultimate disservice already and had the nerve to write me the same as you do everyone else that you do not want to refund their money. You tried to contact me right. Well the problem still remain the same. I need my money. I don't need you to contact me. I need you to send me my money to my address that you have. I've sent it to you on many reviews. You knew my address to send me some little brochure about what will I allow you to do with my info since it's been over a month that I'm no longer with your company. Well do the same thing you did with my money. Send it to my address please if you wanna say you tried to contact me again **.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I bought a prepaid card from 711. The card was not reloadable and Green Dot charge me a 9.95 monthly fee and wouldn't refund my money. I can't use the card for online purchases. Explain to me how I'm charge a monthly fee on a card I can't reload and I'm never using again? And I try using the card in the store and it won't work. I will tell my friends about it not to use this company and I top of that they charge me 1.95 fee in the store. I will never us Green Dot again.

Hi Jennifer,

Original review: June 27, 2018

My husband's paycheck was deposited onto our prepaid card 2 days early to save us from having our utilities shut off. Green Dot picked it up as suspicious and instead of contacting me - placed a hold on our account. They have been persistent that there is no way to remove the block for 2-7 business days even though there is an e-mail where I sent my ID for verification.

There is also a suspicious "investigation team" which doesn't accept calls and works out of the "back office." I have 3 small children and am now going to have to either get a loan or go without gas/electric until this issue is resolved AS WELL AS pay a reinstatement fee which Green Dot made clear they would not assist me in paying even though it's their fault! The customer service was horrible and the representatives I spoke to were awful and nasty and non remorseful at all...they didn't even attempt to TRY to fix the situation. I am so frustrated and will be contacting my lawyer to assess my rights.

Hi Leanne,

Original review: June 27, 2018

I'm irate. I have been trying to activate my card & it keeps telling me my birthday does not match records. There is no way to bypass this or even prove my identity & that they are wrong with no customer service talk to an actual human option. When you look up how it straight up lies about the options available or how to actually speak to someone therefore I am being punished for what? Their failure to have correct info or a way for customers to talk to someone & verify their identity. Furthermore they also state you must verify your identity before they'll send you personalized card in mail but I have 2. Neither one that works & no way to get the money I need without it. I am done with this company unless this is fixed tonight & I'm doubting that since I've now spent 2 hrs exhausting all options! Customer service is one of the most important things Green Dot. Get it together.

Hi Kimberly,

Resolution response: July 28, 2018

I received a phone call from a very nice gentleman from the corporate office of Green Dot. He apologized for the issues I had experienced and refunded my money.

Original review: June 27, 2018

My son purchased one of these cards as a Mother's Day gift for me. He loaded $50 on it. I didn't register it right away because I was waiting until I found something to purchase with it. I registered it on June 17th and was shocked to find out that there was only $8 left on the card because someone had used it to purchase movie tickets online from Fandango for $42 on May 26th! How could someone use it to make an online purchase when the card had not even been registered yet? I have tried to call customer service various times of the day and there is no way to talk to a live person. It is all automated. Very frustrating! I have printed out the transaction dispute form and emailed to them, but have had no response. I have also faxed it to them, still no response. Please don't waste your money on this card!!!

Hello Susan,

Resolution response: Aug. 10, 2018

My experience with Green Dot was no different than several other relationships I've had in my life. They had me on an emotional rollercoaster from the gate. Excited about all the potential interactions we would be having online too soon turned into disappointment and me questioning my judgment once again as to why did I pick Green Dot in the first place. As soon as I got over myself and used the resources available to me my problem was resolved; the wrong was righted, the fraudulent charge was credited and I can move on. I truly am appreciative ConsumerAffairs was there for me, as well as for Green Dot making us all one big Happy Family again. Thank You!

Original review: June 25, 2018

My story. I'm currently homeless. I don't have an address. I don't have regular access to wifi or the internet. It is what it is right now. June 5 about 11pm I went into a 7-11 in Torrance, CA and put 100 dollars on a Green Dot Visa. I had two things to take care of: joining a gym for a daily shower, and a new mobile phone. June 6 I went to Walmart to purchase a phone and my card was declined. I signed onto the Green Dot site and reviewed my activity as it hadn't even been ten hours since money had been put on the card. There was a 39.99 dollar charge to a SPECTRUM utility account which had been made and I DIDN'T DO IT. I called the SPECTRUM number and I called Green Dot each just passed me off to the other. SOOOO FRUSTRATING! Literally, this was all the money I had.

Eventually I reached a Green Dot person who told me I had to cancel that card and the fraudulent charge would take up to 3 weeks for investigation before I would have that money back. CRAZY! I HAD NO OPTIONS. So, this Green Dot person asked me what my address was. I told her I was homeless but I did have a mailing address for urgent matters. While looking thru my wallet for my id I had misspoken and instead of saying 945 I guess I said 745 and without hesitation that person changed my mailing address with a click of her button. I had no choice whether to press 1 for yes or 2 for no...correct or incorrect...like the initial prompt when calling Green Dot.

That woman just caused me MORE GRIEF! She then proceeded to tell me I had to wait 24 hours then call back to change my mailing address back its original and correct state. I will not lie and say I did not refrain from calling that Green Dot IDIOT a few choice expletives she rightfully deserved. I mean talking to the Philippines with matters regarding a simple credit card is nuts to begin with but to listen to her corporate jib jab and fake apologetic words over my cell almost made me pull my own eyes out of their socket. I waited a couple of days and called Green Dot back. Now my account has been blocked. Now I have to send Green Dot a copy of my ID before I can activate my card.

Here's the kicker... I DON’T HAVE A FRICKEN BLOODY GREEN DOT CARD BECAUSE THEIR REPRESENTATIVE GOT CLICKER HAPPY and entered an incorrect address to my account sending me OVER THE FRICKEN EDGE! I can’t reach anyone over the phone because the moment I enter my social security number I'm immediately told my account is blocked, upload id for a 2 day review. Oh MY GOD! I don't have a card. The only thing I can do is listen to the Green Dot message and get more and more frustrated. To sweeten my ordeal, they even had the courtesy of charging me a ten dollar monthly fee.

Let's review. The charge that hit my card was a utility fee. Not tangible. Not something in the mail. It should have been as simple as a cancel button or a reverse button so whatever account was credited by the charge on my card was simply and easily reversed and canceled and the funds returning to their proper place on my account. I should have had my money back instantly. Instead I have had to deal with ** from Green Dot. It's been over 20 days and I'm at a loss for how to proceed. I will never use this company for anything ever again and will never have positive words regarding them.

Hello Jenia,

Original review: June 25, 2018

I am an Uber Driver who uses my Green Dot to cash out my earnings instantly. It's hit or miss with Green Dot. I have had several delays more than 6 times where Green Dot won't release my pay instantly, and they hold my money for days. When you call customer service they lie constantly to get you off the phone. A supervisor never returns your call and you can barely understand the representative because they are outsourced.

Hi Wanda,

Original review: June 25, 2018

This matter needs to be handled immediately. I cannot pay my rent or any other necessary bills, yet along feed myself. I was locked out of my account June 21, 2018 and was asked that I send in verification documents. That being front/back image of my ID on a dark surface. It was confirmed through an agent that it was received and my account would be unlocked in two business days. Here it is two business days later I am still locked out of my account. My only other option is to take legal actions because I am now suffering as a customer of Green Dot.

Hi Robbie,

No response received
Original review: June 23, 2018

I received my survival benefits like I normally do every month and all of a sudden after my money was deposited my account was blocked. I have tried to call several times and now it keeps me at an automated message saying how my card is still blocked and to send the proper documentation and I don't even know what documentation that they want. I just would like to have my card unblocked so I can have my money and pay my bills and my college tuition. Thank you.

Hi Gabbriella,