Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

Pros

• No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals

Cons

• $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Bottom Line

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: July 17, 2018

A Wells Fargo cashier's check for $1,500 was stolen out of my mailbox in Rome, GA. A Rome resident negotiated the check over my forged signature and was able to successfully deposit it into his Green Dot Account. I have a copy of the front and reverse sides of the check given to me by Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo fraud investigators informed me that the check was deposited into a Green Dot account. Green Dot says they will not allow deposits of third party checks, but they apparently did in this case. I cannot get any live person on the phone. This check was earmarked for college tuition.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I received birthday money last month and since Green Dot is the most convenient (or was) way to receive money I had my friends and family send it through the MoneyPak service. When trying to load the MoneyPak on to the card I was given an error message telling me due to suppress activity they could not use the MoneyPak I was trying to use. I clicked on the refund tab and entered my information. So I expected to receive them in the mail in the usual 5-10 business days. I get the first one in for $25 no problem. Waited for my others to arrive, and yesterday I received a letter in the mail stating: due to suspicious activity I would have to send a picture of my driver's license as well as photocopies of the merchandise purchased front and back. That because my activity is unlike anyone else's activity they question my actions and don't want to release my money.

You cannot get through the automated system to speak to someone without a Green Dot account (I use Walmart card or a RushCard or pretty well anything besides Green Dot cards because I've and have seen so many people run into their scams). I've never had issues with my money though. I would never recommend this company to anyone and suggest people to swap over to PayPal or Vanilla Reloads. RushCard has an option that you can RushCard to RushCard your money and if I am not mistaken so does Walmart. Now I have to convince my family and friends to try to find these cards take a picture of them and send them to me... and pray they haven't thrown some of them away... This is hundreds of dollars these people may be able to keep of my money because they feel they can. They are held to no accountability for anything they do. Just a bunch of crooks.

Hi Mary,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your account but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

No response received
Original review: July 16, 2018

I have had my Green Dot card for about four years now, although I hardly use it. I went to Walgreens and put $45.00 on the card which totaled $49.95 yesterday. I tried to use the card online today and was told there was not enough money on the card for my purchase. I called to check my balance and there is only $29.95 on the card. I will never ever use this company again. Nobody answers the "customer service" phone number. I will also do a negative review with Walgreens because they are partners with this fraudulent company.

Hi Kenisha,

Original review: July 15, 2018

Green Dot Corporation along with Turbo Tax has stolen my money. It’s been almost a month and I still haven’t received my money. They keep on lying saying that it is the IRS did it, but the 5x I have contacted the IRS they say they don’t have anything to do with it. Then they asked me to verify my identity, I did it still haven’t released the block on my card. Today I give up, I am so tired of trying to prove who I am to receive my money. If anybody know of a class action lawyer please email me @ **.

Hi Shaunia,

Original review: July 15, 2018

This started when my daughter who's ten wanting to spend 20 dollars online. Was purchased in a convenient store by her mother. My daughter came to me for help in activation when I was astonished that after the first time they would keep half and after 30 days keep 5 dollars a month. Why is this company still in business? This borderline criminal. Caution people when selecting cards.

Hi Darrell,

Original review: July 15, 2018

I purchased the card because I knew the banks would be closed for the fourth of July holiday and I needed a card to pay off some bills. I purchased the card from Dollar General and went home to active. When I returned home and began to activate it I received an error message, "We are experiencing technical difficulties. Try again later." I waited a couple of hours and tried again. This time I received another error message, "You have exceeded the number of attempts. Wait 24 hours." I went ahead and downloaded the app and tried again the next day. Same message. "We're experiencing technical difficulties. Try again later," and another message telling me to wait 24 hours. Tried again the next day on a desktop. Same error messages. I tried to call. It is impossible to get a human on the phone. The only option I didn't try was the Spanish option.

I finally chose the option for a refund. It said I would have to wait 2 weeks and asked if I wanted to proceed. I hung up then googled how to talk to a live person. There was another phone number but it took me back to the same prompts. I ended up searching Google and the Green Dot website to find another way to contact them. I would've been fine with an email option. There was nothing except a snail mail option or the phone number. I noticed they were on social media. I went on Facebook and found their customer service page. I sent them a message telling them what the problem was. Heard back a few hours later they told me to try and clear history, cookies etc and use a different browser if I could. I downloaded a whole new browser and it let me go so far as to verify my phone number then I received the same message, "We're experiencing technical difficulties."

I told them same problem. They messaged me later and asked for my contact info (mailing address, number, email). Next day they asked for pictures of my receipt and front and back of my card and to make sure my name and number were on each picture and that they would research and get back to me in one business day. I sent the info they sent another message that night asking for the same info saying the same thing they would research. I resent and told them I sent the email again. They responded the next day and said, "We are sending you a refund check. It will arrive in 2 weeks." I was losing my patience and let them know I was almost out of money as I had put most of it on this card and ended up using the rest to pay bills after the holiday. And if I knew this was all they were going to do I would've requested a refund days ago when I had been given the option.

Furthermore if I had any idea this would happen I would've stuck to the visa gift card I nearly purchased. They responded back saying - "Hi **. We understand the urgency of this matter. Once the Refund check is processed, you can no longer register the card. Please wait for your Refund check to arrive. You'll receive it in 2 weeks." - JMG. How does that help? Seems like they were more concerned with me trying to use the card again which never worked in the first place! I am beyond dissatisfied. I can't use my own money and have to wait 2 weeks for a check.

I hope I can help people with this review. Stay far away from this business. Go with a visa gift card or American express prepaid (I've had success with both). Also, they are cheaper than Visa GCs (American express is free but not everyone takes them due to them only having 15 numbers) but beware they will charge you 7.95 the first time you use it, which they conveniently leave off the packaging, unless you deposit $1000.00. If you have $1000.00 chances are you have an actual bank account. If you do use them good luck!

Hi Terrie,

Original review: July 15, 2018

I purchased the card today unable to activate. I entered the numbers one time and it said I exceeded daily attempts. How if I only entered the card number one time. I will never use them again. Then can't talk to no one cause it tells me to activate card first online but I can't.

Hi Sandra,

Original review: July 13, 2018

This has been a complete nightmare. Green Dot is the worst prepaid card there is. My card was blocked and I’m going through hell to get it unblocked. I never told them the card was lost or stolen so why block a card that I’ve always been in possession of??? Stupid. I have verified my identity, received the replacement card and still can’t access my funds. Complete **. My bills are due. I have children to feed and about to be evicted. I will never use this card for anything again.

Customer service is a joke. When you're blocked you can’t speak to anyone so you have to think of ways. They should be shut down for playing with the lives of people who have done nothing wrong but trust them with their hard earned money. I pray I’ll be able to access my funds in time before I’m kicked out on the streets. I’ll be warning everyone I know about the crap this company puts people through, I have been using this card for years. Received tax returns on it. Never in a million years did I think I’d be blocked. Smh.

Hi Ayauna,

Original review: July 13, 2018

I signed up for Green Dot and had my direct deposit sent to them for the first time today. They blocked my account saying they couldn’t verify me and have a block on my money. This is not fair and they shouldn’t play with people hard earned money. If they couldn’t verify me then they should of never let me activate the card. On top of that they should have rejected my direct deposit but they didn’t. They kept it and holding on to my money. I will seek legal action because this is ridiculous!!!

Hi Martinique,

Original review: July 13, 2018

I am the latest victim of $504.16 Green Dot Prepaid Card scam. I have tried to call Green Dot many times, cannot talk to any live person until you already have an account with them. I went online to file a complain, after I submitted my complain the message came up saying "Not Accepted" please try later. What a joke. This company should have a hotline available to report these scams. By not doing so they are helping these scammers. Every scammer is helping Green Dot sell more of their cards.

Hi Nasir,

Original review: July 13, 2018

Didn't receive my direct deposit today. Was told they are having errors on their end. They blocked me from calling now. My sister is Vice President of SchoolsFirst Credit Union and said it's absolutely illegal and fraudulent and that they have 24 hrs to correct from time it was suppose to be deposited. Then she will walk me through the legal actions to bust them for fraud. She also read all the poor reviews and similar recent complaints on here (Consumer Reports) and is going to take action against this bank with the Federal Bureau.

She also advises all of you to close your accounts immediately and I will be posting a number. She is getting me to take legal action against this fraudulent company. She also advised not to send them a copy of your driver's license as requested that it's just a detour for them to get you off their backs and that you will not receive a check from them that it is a lie. Please look for my post tomorrow for contact number to federal fraud division.

Hi Jennifer,

Original review: July 13, 2018

TERRIBLE! It was super nice of a friend to give me a gift card for Christmas 2017, however, unless you use the whole "gift card" (it was sold as one but isn't - it's a pre-paid debit card and they REALLY try to push you into doing the direct deposit!) WHY??? There are monthly fees, anyone with a bank account would not need or want this terrible product! Go to the bank and get a bank account, it would be cheaper - so they prey on people who don't know that they can. Anyway, to avoid the monthly fee because I DID NOT want to direct deposit to their card, I had to use it right away. I used all of it but a little bit, and let it go, it was a gift, and I avoided all but one fee, so that was it, I closed it.

Surprisingly, they sent me what was left -- 20 CENTS, I was surprised, and thought maybe they were better than I suspected. I forgot to go to bank to deposit until last week, about 6 months later, I didn't think anything of it, because I've never had a reputable company or person refuse money they actually owed me even if it was deposited late, even like a year! Green Dot refused it! I guess businesses can refuse to pay what they owe, but I doubt a regular person could get away with saying, oh, too late, you didn't cash my check so I don't have to pay you anymore!

Anyway, had I known, I would have thrown it away, not worth it, but because I thought it would be just fine, I was charged $12 by my bank, so Green Dot got find a way to over-fee me too! BEWARE of both getting a Green Dot "gift card" and any check they send you for the unused balance... if in doubt, the time and headache you'll get from it, will make you wish you never heard of these people... Some gift! I certainly won't tell my friends, but I hope I never ever see one of these EVER again!!!

Hi Dana,

Original review: July 12, 2018

I've had Green Dot bank for two months because I'm required direct deposit at my new job. I was receiving my checks until I had a deposit over $900. My job said they deposited the money, I cannot reach anyone at Green Dot customer service to resolve this issue. I was told by the company I work for that there are MANY PEOPLE saying THEY DID NOT GET THEIR CHECK AND THEY BANK WITH GREEN DOT. Obviously this is illegal, I intend to sue for financial damages if my funds do not appear within the next few days. How is it possible for a company to be so irresponsible? It's not a glitch for just my check, ITS EVERYONE THAT HAS GREEN DOT THAT WORKS WHERE I DO.

Hi Nicolle,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your account, but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I bought a 100.00 Green Dot debit card to give as a gift. When it was tried to be registered it was invalid 3 Times. Now not only do I feel like a fool I’m out 100.00 dollars and there is no way to talk to a live person to straighten this out. It’s a scam I think and I will make sure everyone I know knows about this so they don’t fall for it either. What a rip off.

Hi Mary,

Original review: July 12, 2018

So I have been using the Turbo Tax prepaid card since February with no real issues. I have been receiving my direct deposit every since, until yesterday. Me and my coworker both use this card and we did not get paid. My job has released the funds. Everyone who uses Netspend has already been paid. For some reason Green Dot cannot tell me why they are not releasing my damn money. I'm reading all of the reviews saying it's taking days, leading into months for resolution. GREEN DOT... listen to me careful. I am not one of the fly by ** customers. I will sue the entire ** out of you for my 1200 dollars. I have a family to feed. I am the mother bear you do not want to ** with. When it comes to feeding my kids. Please believe that you have the one today. People rely on their money to live. Since my original pay day is tomorrow. I'ma give y'all until tomorrow. I'm telling you right now run me my damn money. ASAP. People do not use this bank.

Hi C Wash,

Original review: July 12, 2018

On June 27th, 2018 I Visited A Atm At A Sheetz Which is Pnc, My Transaction was for 400.00 and the money never came out. I called Green Dot to file a disputed and they advised me that the money would be in my bank by July 5th, Than thru said July 12th! I called today. They tell me they had to extend my dispute out for another 45 Days!!! This bank is horrible and they don’t reply by email or phone calls like they say they will when you originally file your dispute! I’ve called Green Dot every day since June 27th and they aren’t trying to get my money back into my account. They even argue with you over the phone.

Hi Katherine,

Original review: July 11, 2018

Updated on 09/07/2018: I stopped using GoBank in July but my account is still open. I was supposed to receive a new card in the middle of July. I wasn’t really worried because my direct deposit started going to my other account. But last month Allstate deposited a check into this rip off account. Last week I was told that they were sending me out a debit card and I called yesterday. One rep said, “Oh it had to be done manually" so they sent it out on the 29th, her supervisor then told me that it was never sent out so he would send me one WTF. Please don’t do business with GoBank and not to forget they screwed my account up and caused my July electric bill payment to be returned and my account was overdrawn for nothing, I guess that’s their way to get back at me for giving a bad review. Please don’t take my last money that’s in the account now because of this review. I am unemployed at the moment.

Updated on 08/29/2018: I had an issue with GoBank last month they blocked my account and I couldn’t get my money out because I didn’t have a debit card. But they managed to allow my ex to transfer my money out of the account to my PayPal account and from there to a car of his choosing. I guess you can say he got easy money and I cannot Dispute it PayPal said it’s not protected and I refuse to deal with green dot because it’s excuse after excuse. I am reporting them to the federal reserve, someone has to stop them.

Original review: They canceled my debit card and sent out a new one, I won’t receive it until next week. I called them and they told me I can transfer my money out of the account. When I attempted to do so they blocked my account and told me to send in a copy of my license and it will take them another 5 days to review it. I am discussed with GoBank. I feel like they are scamming me to take my money. I cannot get gas, food or pay my bills. I will sue them and I filed a complaint with consumerfinance.gov. They handle complaints about financial institutions.

Hello Sheneka,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Thank you!

Resolution response: July 12, 2018

I recently had a bad experience with Green Dot but after speaking with Daniel in corporate he made things right and did it in a quick and fast manner. I really appreciate him for doing that for he was very understanding.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I lost my debit card and reported it. GreenDot sent me another card but they put a block on my account and said I needed to send an ID verification to this email address IDB@greendotcorp.com. The problem that I’m having is the email address doesn’t work. Can anybody help?

Hello Adonis,

Thank you!

Resolution response: July 11, 2018

I first gave you a rating of 1 based on my inability to use my card after putting in $500. However, today, I was able to use it in a local grocery. When my personal name was needed, I was not able to use it. Since it worked in the grocery and I did not lose my money, I re-rated it. I think it is not a scam, but this program needs to be fixed so that it works across the board. Customer service also needs to be improved.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I bought this card from Rite Aid. The card said you get immediate access to the money you put into the card. After putting in $500 and registering my information, I was told that they could not accept my permit, which is the only ID I have, and so my card is now unusable. I tried to call this company many many times but have not been able to get through to a person and either get my card to be activated or get a refund. Very dishonest company. Stay far away!!

Issue was resolved.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I bought my Green Dot card, came home, went to the app, put in all my information then it told me I had to wait 24 hours before they would activate it! My son was sitting at a bus station waiting for me to give the lady my card number. I couldn't get a refund so I could exchange for just a regular visa so I had to drive 3 hours to go get my child. I own a company and I give my 20 employees Green Dots to purchase items for the company. I spend around 4 grand a month but after this I'm done with Green Dot. There are plenty other prepaid cards out there that will activate your card on the spot and I called customer service for help hoping they could activate it but they were no help! Never again Green Dot. You would have to do something very special to get my business back. It's sad I have been using you guys for years. Just remember 4,000.00 a month gone from 1 customer and I will tell my other friends, family, and business associates not to use you people.

Hi Tonya,

Original review: July 9, 2018

I've been having my card since May. Now it's July. I can't load MoneyPak. It's always a different reason. MoneyPak card numbers invalid unable to load get a refund. Can't identify your personal information. There has been suspicious activity on your account. I mean what is this and it's not just my card. Others who money deposited they couldn't get it off. I guess I spoke too soon because now I don't do anything. This card sucks!

Updated on 07/14/2018: Second encounter y'all couldn't explain as to why the transaction wouldn't go through but you wanted me to send proof of me purchasing the MoneyPak. Ok now I can send that, but how will that help me? By sending my info of the MoneyPak that's going to fix the problem. Based on customer service they claim nothing was wrong with my account. They don't see why the transaction didn't go through. I feel like the system of MoneyPak is just messed up. I read other comments. Some of them are the same. Why is it so hard to be able to put money on my card. What's suspicious about it?

Hi Stephanie,

Original review: July 9, 2018

I've been using Green Dot for years. Yesterday a friend sent me a MoneyPak in the amount of 118.00 for a bill that is due today. However this time instead of being able to load my account as I normally do I had reached a limit and went to use my partners card and was then told it was blocked due to suspicious activity. I've done nothing wrong and desperately need this money today. Green Dot customer service was no help at all and treated me with such disrespect. I can't wait 3 weeks for a refund! I cannot believe this! I don't know what to do but I'm pretty sure I will not be using Green Dot anymore and I'll also be informing my mother in law she should cancel her direct deposit to her Green Dot card and take her financial matters elsewhere.

Updated on 07/23/2018: I was in contact with someone from the corporate office and they initially made contact with me it was wonderful. They would answer me immediately and the longest it would take would be 24 hours at the most. They finally said that I would be receiving a check in the mail no more than two weeks after the above mentioned date and today is the last day of the two weeks. I was also given a phone number to call as well as the email if I were to have any other questions or concerns. I have called the number multiple times and it rings twice and dead, I have also emailed the address at least twenty times and have yet to receive a response.

I'm really frustrated at this point because over a week ago I replied to the email they sent me asking to verify my home address which was wrong and I replied with the correct address and still no response. I'm hoping that if I open a new case on here they will reply quickly once again. I'm very upset with the unprofessional environment that is expressed through the email. I can only hope that the issue is resolved quickly.

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

No response received
Original review: July 8, 2018

A tip off on this site is that Green Dot is a "bank" to avoid is they have no answers to complaints. They jump in over seldom compliments (probably wrote themselves). They know they terrible and have no defense. ConsumerAFFAIRS - How do they get a 3 star rating when most all ratings I see are 1 Star. I know you cannot do anything about it so I guess I am just venting into cyberspace. The rest of you: Don't say we did not warn you. They allowed charges they originally declined. Then charged 9.95 monthly maintenance fee after just two days on a 100 buck card = 10%! The only recourse is to fill out and fax a long dispute form. They say it can a couple months to resolve. Any major credit card resolves in 1/2 hour or less. I can kiss my money goodbye from this scam bank. Look, there is no such thing as customer service at Green Dot. They decide what you call or do. No other options.

Hi Patrick,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I recently purchased a Green Dot card and set up my direct deposit, but as my pay date arrived my money wasn't on my card and still not. I kept calling but now I'm blocked out of my account and they blocked me from emailing them. How could someone do such a thing? How can I receive my money. My rent is due. Me and my child can't get put out.

Hi Khadijah,

Original review: July 7, 2018

I put my last $20 on this card for the card to malfunction as soon as I registered it & on top of that they charge you a $7.95 monthly fee as soon as you activate it. Then I call customer service and couldn't even get a word in to speak about my problems. This company is a complete waste. I wouldn't recommend.

Hi Tabitha,

No response received
Original review: July 6, 2018

My husband just literally purchased a Walmart Visa Debit card (says debit but is actually a gift card) issued by Green Dot. We live directly across the street from Walmart. Just tried to register the card and it says the card number is invalid. We tried this 3 times before being told to try again in 24 hours. I tried calling the EXTREMELY useless "customer service" number on the back of the card and all it is is an automated system for lost or stolen cards or checking your balance. I thought I'd check the balance to see if there was at least the $50 on there we just paid to use the card. The automated attendant said the card number is invalid. I tried another telephone number for Green Dot that is SUPPOSED to get you to a live person. Once again, this proved to be useless as after entering the card number, I was told to enter the zip code used when registering the card. I tried my own zip code.

I was told by automated Stan (that's what I'll call him because his voice sounds like his name should be Stan) that the zip code was incorrect and try again. I tried a random zip code. Again, no luck. I then was promptly hung up on by Stan. How RUDE but not any more rude than being sold a card that has apparently already been used and the number either reissued or simply just flat out stolen. Now we are battling with Walmart for getting our money back and uselessly trying to find other Green Dot/Stan/Scam phone numbers since this is clearly a scam. All of this so we didn't have to use our debit/credit cards on iTunes!!! I guess we should have just gone the easier route because we've been taken...but not for long. Green Dot will be SICK of hearing from me and spreading my story everywhere! I can't imagine actually sending my hard earned money to this company in order to use their debit card!!! Debit without any credit will be all you'll receive!

Hi Tiffany,

Original review: July 5, 2018

Company says they rejected my direct deposit - I lost my first card and they sent me another with the requirements of a picture of my license. I was informed it was for verification purposes. I did this 6 times! Today is payday but I didn't get paid. I need to know where my money is seeing my rent is due today. How am I supposed to live.

Hi Eva,

Original review: July 5, 2018

I bought this card to do shopping online because my bank has this weird security thing where it declines transactions and I have to waste my Time calling the bank up for them to ask me about my last purchases and then they release my funds and I then have to go back through the purchasing process all over again. This has caused me problems with companies such as Groupon who will recharge your card some hours later which means I had then made the purchase twice when I only meant to do it once. So I bought the card in hopes that it would make my life easier... I was totally wrong! They refuse to allow me to have full use of the card and instead have restricted me to in person transactions only... Meaning the one thing I bought it for (shopping online) they refuse to let me use it for...

When I asked why they said I failed some security questions which I was never asked. I explained this to them and also explained that after three attempts at registering the card with no success I decided to call and register by phone. This is when I was told my card would be restricted. It is because of their crappy website that won’t even allow you to register the dumb card that this all happened. They told me a supervisor would call me and of course no one has! This company is pure crap! Do not give them your money!

Hi Feli,

Original review: July 5, 2018

They take 9.95$ as a monthly fee like come on y’all cards are like 1.50$ and a CVS or free... and they randomly take money off my card leaving me with a negative balance. And when I call and ask them they say I have to reload my card to get my money back. I was late on my damn bill. Green Dot truly to god sucks. Get you a PayPal.

Hi Lee,

No response received
Original review: July 4, 2018

I paid to have a new card sent by Friday. The card arrived with a block on it, before I could even use it! Green Dot just blocks your account, whenever they want, and there is nothing you can do! The customer service number gets you to the Philippines. The staff are of no help whatsoever. Green Dot needs to do better by its customers!

Hi Betsy,