Green Dot Prepaid Cards

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

Pros

• No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals

Cons

• $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Bottom Line

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

No response received
Original review: July 9, 2018

I've been using Green Dot for years. Yesterday a friend sent me a MoneyPak in the amount of 118.00 for a bill that is due today. However this time instead of being able to load my account as I normally do I had reached a limit and went to use my partners card and was then told it was blocked due to suspicious activity. I've done nothing wrong and desperately need this money today. Green Dot customer service was no help at all and treated me with such disrespect. I can't wait 3 weeks for a refund! I cannot believe this! I don't know what to do but I'm pretty sure I will not be using Green Dot anymore and I'll also be informing my mother in law she should cancel her direct deposit to her Green Dot card and take her financial matters elsewhere.

Updated on 07/23/2018: I was in contact with someone from the corporate office and they initially made contact with me it was wonderful. They would answer me immediately and the longest it would take would be 24 hours at the most. They finally said that I would be receiving a check in the mail no more than two weeks after the above mentioned date and today is the last day of the two weeks. I was also given a phone number to call as well as the email if I were to have any other questions or concerns. I have called the number multiple times and it rings twice and dead, I have also emailed the address at least twenty times and have yet to receive a response.

I'm really frustrated at this point because over a week ago I replied to the email they sent me asking to verify my home address which was wrong and I replied with the correct address and still no response. I'm hoping that if I open a new case on here they will reply quickly once again. I'm very upset with the unprofessional environment that is expressed through the email. I can only hope that the issue is resolved quickly.

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

No response received
Original review: July 8, 2018

A tip off on this site is that Green Dot is a "bank" to avoid is they have no answers to complaints. They jump in over seldom compliments (probably wrote themselves). They know they terrible and have no defense. ConsumerAFFAIRS - How do they get a 3 star rating when most all ratings I see are 1 Star. I know you cannot do anything about it so I guess I am just venting into cyberspace. The rest of you: Don't say we did not warn you. They allowed charges they originally declined. Then charged 9.95 monthly maintenance fee after just two days on a 100 buck card = 10%! The only recourse is to fill out and fax a long dispute form. They say it can a couple months to resolve. Any major credit card resolves in 1/2 hour or less. I can kiss my money goodbye from this scam bank. Look, there is no such thing as customer service at Green Dot. They decide what you call or do. No other options.

Hi Patrick,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I recently purchased a Green Dot card and set up my direct deposit, but as my pay date arrived my money wasn't on my card and still not. I kept calling but now I'm blocked out of my account and they blocked me from emailing them. How could someone do such a thing? How can I receive my money. My rent is due. Me and my child can't get put out.

Hi Khadijah,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your account but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I put my last $20 on this card for the card to malfunction as soon as I registered it & on top of that they charge you a $7.95 monthly fee as soon as you activate it. Then I call customer service and couldn't even get a word in to speak about my problems. This company is a complete waste. I wouldn't recommend.

Hi Tabitha,

No response received
Original review: July 6, 2018

My husband just literally purchased a Walmart Visa Debit card (says debit but is actually a gift card) issued by Green Dot. We live directly across the street from Walmart. Just tried to register the card and it says the card number is invalid. We tried this 3 times before being told to try again in 24 hours. I tried calling the EXTREMELY useless "customer service" number on the back of the card and all it is is an automated system for lost or stolen cards or checking your balance. I thought I'd check the balance to see if there was at least the $50 on there we just paid to use the card. The automated attendant said the card number is invalid. I tried another telephone number for Green Dot that is SUPPOSED to get you to a live person. Once again, this proved to be useless as after entering the card number, I was told to enter the zip code used when registering the card. I tried my own zip code.

I was told by automated Stan (that's what I'll call him because his voice sounds like his name should be Stan) that the zip code was incorrect and try again. I tried a random zip code. Again, no luck. I then was promptly hung up on by Stan. How RUDE but not any more rude than being sold a card that has apparently already been used and the number either reissued or simply just flat out stolen. Now we are battling with Walmart for getting our money back and uselessly trying to find other Green Dot/Stan/Scam phone numbers since this is clearly a scam. All of this so we didn't have to use our debit/credit cards on iTunes!!! I guess we should have just gone the easier route because we've been taken...but not for long. Green Dot will be SICK of hearing from me and spreading my story everywhere! I can't imagine actually sending my hard earned money to this company in order to use their debit card!!! Debit without any credit will be all you'll receive!

Hi Tiffany,

Original review: July 5, 2018

Company says they rejected my direct deposit - I lost my first card and they sent me another with the requirements of a picture of my license. I was informed it was for verification purposes. I did this 6 times! Today is payday but I didn't get paid. I need to know where my money is seeing my rent is due today. How am I supposed to live.

Hi Eva,

Original review: July 5, 2018

I bought this card to do shopping online because my bank has this weird security thing where it declines transactions and I have to waste my Time calling the bank up for them to ask me about my last purchases and then they release my funds and I then have to go back through the purchasing process all over again. This has caused me problems with companies such as Groupon who will recharge your card some hours later which means I had then made the purchase twice when I only meant to do it once. So I bought the card in hopes that it would make my life easier... I was totally wrong! They refuse to allow me to have full use of the card and instead have restricted me to in person transactions only... Meaning the one thing I bought it for (shopping online) they refuse to let me use it for...

When I asked why they said I failed some security questions which I was never asked. I explained this to them and also explained that after three attempts at registering the card with no success I decided to call and register by phone. This is when I was told my card would be restricted. It is because of their crappy website that won’t even allow you to register the dumb card that this all happened. They told me a supervisor would call me and of course no one has! This company is pure crap! Do not give them your money!

Hi Feli,

Original review: July 5, 2018

They take 9.95$ as a monthly fee like come on y’all cards are like 1.50$ and a CVS or free... and they randomly take money off my card leaving me with a negative balance. And when I call and ask them they say I have to reload my card to get my money back. I was late on my damn bill. Green Dot truly to god sucks. Get you a PayPal.

Hi Lee,

No response received
Original review: July 4, 2018

I paid to have a new card sent by Friday. The card arrived with a block on it, before I could even use it! Green Dot just blocks your account, whenever they want, and there is nothing you can do! The customer service number gets you to the Philippines. The staff are of no help whatsoever. Green Dot needs to do better by its customers!

Hi Betsy,

Original review: July 3, 2018

On Monday of last week the 25th of June I ordered a new card because my old one was damaged. Then on Thursday I called Green Dot and was told that my card that was put in the mail was received and activated so Green Dot reissued me a card. On Friday I called once again and was told that The card that was issued on Thursday was also received and activated. On Monday the 30th imagine my surprise when the original card was in my mailbox unopened. Now because of all of the activity they have blocked my card. I cannot even fix it because I only have the card that was sent by mail. I have been with Green Dot for 8 years and now because of their mistake they want me to prove my identity and I can't because I do not have a valid card. Before all of this I trusted them but not anymore. By the way I cannot get anyone on phone because I am blocked. That means I will lose my power and water tomorrow, this is BS.

Hello Angel,

Our records indicate that you spoke with a supervisor from our office. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have additional questions or concerns that you’d like to discuss.

Thank you!

Original review: July 3, 2018

My experience with Green Dot Prepaid Card has been horrible. I used this card one time and they blocked. I have been trying to get my card unlocked for 6 days so my family and I won't be on the streets cause we are homeless. They could care less. Each time you call they tell a different story and I'm so frustrated now cause we will be sleeping in the car just because they won't release my funds again. I save my funds. There is no upper power you can talk to at least that's what they say and you can't find the number online. I don't recommend anyone to buy this card.

Hi Andrea,

Original review: July 2, 2018

This card has ruined my whole week. My boyfriend went to our local CVS to get me a prepaid card so we could pay our car payment. Normally I do the card buying and I have never even seen these Green Dot ones. Well it just so happened to be the one he picked up. He 260 dollars on the card to make the payment and went back to the car to register it. They told him there was an error registering it. He proceeded to call them to see what was wrong and when he FINALLY got a person they hung up on him as he was making his complaint. He called me at work to let me know what was going on so I called.

When I finally got through to someone, which took me just about my whole hour's break, she told me they could not verify his info so they could not activate the card. I don't know how on earth they could not verify him. He's had the same birthday and SS number his whole life. We've never been denied for anything. She then told me she would issue a refund check and it would take TWO WEEKS to get to us. Well try explaining that to my ** loan company for my freaking car. I've tried calling back multiple times to talk to someone else and have gotten nowhere and have not reached another person since. I have a feeling I won't be seeing that money again. I am literally sick over this. 260 dollars might not seem like a lot to some people. It's definitely a lot to us! I've never been scammed in my life. I'm in shock. How can places still be selling these cards?!?!

Hi Amber,

Original review: July 2, 2018

Please know what you're getting into by ordering prepaid cards from Green Dot. I bought my card from Food Lion. I loaded my funds and register my card and forgot to put in my mobile number. They told me I failed verification without mobile number, but are willing to send me a check and it will take 3 weeks. But can use card for in store purchase and not online. The customer service are extremely rude. When ask to talk to an supervisor, she tried to disguise her voice. Don't buy this card. It's a ripoff and it's hard to get in touch with customer service. They need stickers saying don't use this card if you don't have a mobile number.

Hi Kimberly,

Original review: July 1, 2018

I purchased a Green Dot prepaid card, and loaded $20 onto it. It was the last bit of money I had, and wanted to have a means to save money, and be able to order items off the net. I quickly found out my account was frozen and I was unable to use it. This was all due to the fact that a few years prior I had allowed my fiance to use my card to direct deposit her tax refund onto. I did not find out that my account had been flagged until I purchased another card through Green Dot. I was told that I needed to submit a copy of my Driver's license and the flag would be lifted. When I was finally able to send them my license the flag was lifted a few days later but now it said my balance was zero 0.00.

I called and called and spoke to customer rep... was hung up on the first time, and was given the runaround by people I could barely understand. What I was told is that they took my $20 for fees for monthly charges even though I was unable to use my card. And after all that they closed my account, told me they couldn't give me back my money because I no longer had an account and told me there wasn't anything I could do. So I spent $25.00 all together and had nothing to show from choosing to trust Green Dot but a useless piece of plastic with my name on it. I have sent them a letter to the address they list on their website explaining my situation but after my dreadful experience of being "taken" I am not holding my breath. Buyer beware!

Hi Joseph,

Original review: July 1, 2018

I am hardworking parent and I am educator that knows how things should be done. I made a couple purchases and my Card was blocked. I submitted the documents that was needed and now they are stating that my account is closed, I have direct deposit through my employer and I am upset and will be looking to take this matter to court.

Hello Jamika,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I've had my acct. for about 6 months. I've done a few mobile deposits and understood when they said the first one may take longer since I just started using it, but normally I will have my money in 1 business day. Did a mobile deposit this morning for a state issued tax refund check. They send my email approving it and tell me I'll get my funds on July 10th... in TEN DAYS. Are you kidding me? I could have paid a small fee and cashed it today. Then I'm told I can't retract the deposit that hasn't cleared yet, I have to wait the 10 days. After I get my deposit I WILL CANCEL MY ACCT. AND WARN OTHERS!!

Hi Amber,

Original review: June 30, 2018

If I had a score lower than one I would just put that as well! I have had nothing but a horrible experience with this company. I will not stop writing BAD reviews on Green Dot until someone gets back to me about my money which was taken due to unusual activity. I submitted all documents request and STILL NEVER RECEIVED A ** ANSWER!!! Green Dot is a PONZI scheme that holds people's money and sits on it forever!!! I will smile the ** day your bank is doomed!!

Hi Joshua,

Original review: June 30, 2018

I wish I had seen these comments before having my direct deposit out on this card. I had over 2200 stolen first time. I filed dispute. It was denied. Then when it was resubmitted I was told to get a police report which I did. I also had a letter from the place my card was used and compromised and still denied. It's crazy how much money they have stolen from others.

Updated on 08/20/2018: My dispute was denied on here. Green Dot said they would be in touch but I have not received a call. I want to know how to take it to arbitration since it's part of the cardholder agreement. That's how we would handle things.

Hi Rachel,

Original review: June 29, 2018

Earlier this week, I called Green Dot to cancel my card because it was lost at my place of employment. I paid to have the card expedited so that I could receive it by Friday. Thankfully, the card arrived on time. However, when I tried to activate it, I was told that the card was blocked! There was no way to speak with anyone to help me. The automated service requested verification of my identity, which I provided immediately. Then I was told that this process would take two business days. So I wait in total frustration!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Do not give this company any money. They are a complete scam and are committing fraud on a massive scale. They make it extremely easy to contact them to open an account, but have made it absolutely impossible to contact them to get your money back. They screw up your personal info so you cannot use the call in customer service and simply ignore you if you try to communicate with them via their Facebook Customer Service page.

Hi Todd,

Original review: June 29, 2018

I received my direct deposit on 6/28/2018. On 6/29/2018 they closed my account for a reason no one could provide me. I was then put on hold for an hour to speak with a "supervisor." The lady was far from a supervisor. They said I would receive a check in 10 business days. I asked if they could do a wire transfer Western Union anything at all FedEx one day shipping but the lady said, "That's the only option we have." "Like what do you mean you can't walk to FedEx and drop something off?" For something to take 10 days they would have to ship it out 5 days from now.

I have kids I need to feed, gas for my car to go to work, my rent is now going to be late. I will have to pay a 100 late fee. Why you may ask? Because they closed my account for no reason and they can't re "open" it. They are clueless dumb. Have no common sense to anything and have no true desire to help you. They will only read off their manual script, "So sorry sir for the long wait but we can't help you," nor do I actually care to. She then said I could wait up to one business day to speak with a manager. "Ummm I waited an hour to speak with one which was suppose to be you."

If you want stress, terrible customer service then join Green Dot. Any bank I mean any bank is better than this at. NetSpend isnt awful but they at least sometimes go outside the box for customers. Not these guys. Miles while pay Walmart 99 cents to cash your check then 99 cents to pay bills via Western Union. You're already paying them 10 dollars a month just to have the account then 4.95 for every reload.

Hi Dylan,

Original review: June 29, 2018

I am new to the Green Dot card, but haven’t had any complaints until now. I received my direct deposit, but was unable to withdraw money out of my account. It said it was block and needed further review. I had not used my card in about a week or so. When I called customer service, they said there was suspicious activity on my account, but they would not tell me what it was, they said that I had to email them a photo of my driver's license and after they received it I couldn’t use my card for 2 more days. Well this is the 2nd day and my account is still blocked.

I have had to call numerous places and tell them that I can’t pay my bills right now. No one informed me about any suspicious activity or I could have gotten it taken care of long before my direct deposit hit. So now I have the money in my account but can’t use it. I have no gas and my kids are out of school for summer and we are in need of groceries. I’m sure there is a way easier way of confirming someone’s identity than this, this is beyond ridiculous.

Hi Kristy,

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have load my card with a deposit of $295 in hopes of renting a car. The first place I went to Budget Car Rental tried to place a hold for $200 and was declined twice so I called the service number on back of card and was told that there was no activity placed on the card. So I left the place thinking they did not want to rent me car and were jerking me around. So I went to another rental place. Deposit same amount $200. Enterprise rental car same thing. Even the manager got involved. Said there should be no reason why the card should not go through due it was a major credit. Tried 3 times. Decline all three times. Call services again and was told there was no activity on the card for it to be declined and if so they will be able to give me a reason why, so at this point I'm stump and thinking, "There is something wrong with the card, like the strip on the back of card. Damage."

So I went to a local store. Made a small purchase and it was approved so I was like, "What is going on." So I went to one last rental car Thrifty Car Rental. Deposit only $90 this time. Had a $290 credit limit and the card was decline twice. Called customer service once again. Same thing. They see no activity far as being declined but it was at three locations. Even ask to speak with a supervisor and was unable to help. They were clueless. Ask if the issues can be escalated to a higher department and was told there is nothing else can be done in the event. Had to catch Lyft in Los Angeles to all three locations and wasted $47.40 to be exact to rent a car with a card I should had been able to. I am very dissatisfied that I was unable to get the issue resolve and lost money in the long run. I highly do not recommend use of this card if trying to rent a car and I had a very important meeting the following day.

Hi James,

Original review: June 29, 2018

This is the worst company ever. I got my Green Dot. Got paid from my job and it's been ten days and they have not released my money. If you all want to keep your money I repeat don't use this card. Customer service is **. No one wants to help. It's a wild goose chase to get money that belongs to you. I want to sue but don't know how to go about. This company is the worse. Now here it is finally July 1. Still no money. All I want is my money. I have no lights and two children. These people do not care.

Hi Jaquillia,

Original review: June 28, 2018

I order a Green Dot Card and got one going on 2 weeks ago and I tried to activate it but I couldn't, they said that the couldn't verify me. Well just yesterday I got an email saying my Green Dot card will be here and I got it that same day but I didn't order a new one but I tried to active it and I couldn't because it say my card numbers and or 3 security numbers are wrong. And I really need my card and I done double checked everything and nothing seems to work. I tried on the laptop and cell phone online and I called the number.

Hi Keyonna,

Original review: June 28, 2018

My card was declined several times today, and when trying to call and ask why, I got a response to please hold for a rep and then it said there were technical difficulties and hung up on me. Now when I call it says that they saw I called several times and that my status hasn't changed and my card is blocked and I should know why based on my previous calls... But I never talked to anyone!!! I have a trip planned this weekend and have no money as my direct deposit is now blocked!

Updated on 7/4/2018: I’ve called every day. Even though I sent my documents June 28 I was told they didn’t receive them until June 30 and my 2 business days start from there. It is now July 4 and now I’m getting told it takes 5 business days!! I asked where I can find that in writing as the automated system and everywhere else says 2 business days. She told me it changed on July 2 which is a lie and a joke, and either way my case started prior to this “change”. I asked for a supervisor and was told I was speaking to one, another lie. They are illegally holding my money and lying and I will be filing sanctions against them for their illegal practices.

Hello Melissa,

Our records indicate that you spoke with a supervisor from our office earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to address the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right.

Thank you!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I've been getting my direct deposit just fine for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Then today all of the sudden I can't get access to my direct deposit. I've been calling the number on the card for customer service all morning with no luck. The automated system keeps saying they are experiencing technical difficulties. I have bills to pay and want my money. How can you keep people from accessing their own money. Soon as I get my money I will not use Green Dot prepaid card again. BEWARE.

Hi Carla,

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have been a customer of Green Dot for many years. I've had no complaints up until now. There's absolutely NO WAY to speak with a live person! Talk about frustrated. My check for some reason has NOT been deposited today and it's not an issue with my job and of course I can't speak with someone to figure it out. Very disappointed and most likely will be cancel my account.

Hi Shilea,

Original review: June 27, 2018

My Direct Deposit. Green Dot Bank haven't you done me the ultimate disservice already and had the nerve to write me the same as you do everyone else that you do not want to refund their money. You tried to contact me right. Well the problem still remain the same. I need my money. I don't need you to contact me. I need you to send me my money to my address that you have. I've sent it to you on many reviews. You knew my address to send me some little brochure about what will I allow you to do with my info since it's been over a month that I'm no longer with your company. Well do the same thing you did with my money. Send it to my address please if you wanna say you tried to contact me again **.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I bought a prepaid card from 711. The card was not reloadable and Green Dot charge me a 9.95 monthly fee and wouldn't refund my money. I can't use the card for online purchases. Explain to me how I'm charge a monthly fee on a card I can't reload and I'm never using again? And I try using the card in the store and it won't work. I will tell my friends about it not to use this company and I top of that they charge me 1.95 fee in the store. I will never us Green Dot again.

Hi Jennifer,