Synchrony Financial

formerly GE CareCredit

1.2/5 (96 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Synchrony Financial

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Synchrony Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Synchrony Bank is the WORST bank, I ever dealt with. They have NO heart or graciousness to their customer, especially the one that having a financial hardship in this pandemic. They just thinking about MONEY, MONEY and MONEY.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I paid off my motorcycle on October 8th, 2020. Still waiting for Synchrony to notify the State of Ohio so I can get my Title. Called today and Synchrony is now telling me I have to wait another 15 days + snail mail, which was their original time frame. Real customer service would have sent it overnight mail.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

Sam's Club offers a credit card through Synchrony Bank. I've been a member or at least 15 years with the credit card. I pay off my credit card in its entirety every month. I have been late 10 days with my payment and they froze the card. No notification that they were going to freeze the card and then when I spoke with them they were very ignorant about it and unprofessional. I spoke with a service member about the card and she just would not even say anything as if she hung up. Then I spoke with another member who transferred me to a manager who said, "This is just what we do to anybody that hasn't made a payment." They said that they would reinstate the card when a payment was made. If you're going to you Synchrony Bank or credit. Good luck they are very ignorant and unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I had 10 credit cards with this bank and for no reason at all they closed all my credit cards. Never never never I would business with this bank.. Stay away from this bank. I can only imagine how bad my credit score is going to be after.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Very nasty rep. Ran my wife’s credit got approved but needed to verify and hung up on us after during verification because she could not receive a text message from them. Will never do business with them.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

I opened a Synchrony Bank Paypal Mastercard because it seemed to be an easy way to order and pay for goods that people ordered to help support my dog rescue. I opened it in May, paid it regularly, in fact often weekly because the credit limit was only $4000. Come October I go to use my credit card and Synchrony has closed my account. No warning. I call and am told the "Risk" department sent me a letter that day but no one can tell me what the criteria are for closing it. My credit score is 831. The paypal account it is tied to has $7000+. I wouldn't even treat a bad customer this way. I want an explanation and an apology and they had better not have messed with my credit score.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I am writing this review to highlight the devious and felonious business practices of QVC and Synchrony Bank. For the past 7 months I received monthly statements where I am being charged for items never received. Every monthly statement I received have exorbitant over limit fees, flex pays added when the flex pays should stop and credited to my account. The over $1,000+ payment I was making every month would never decrease but remain the same $6,000+ on each monthly statement for the past 7 months until the latest one being $7,000+ which I enclosed with a letter to Synchrony Bank showing I better have this amount credited before 60 days.

I will be contacting NY State Attorney General and BBB for support in handling this serious matter. I will not allow QVC/Synchrony Bank to damage my 800 credit rating or take advantage of me during this coronavirus pandemic when losing jobs are at a very high rate. I work in a medical center and was fortunate health wise to work through this first phase without getting sick at 65 years old this past June. I have always paid off every bill each month. Every time QVC customer service rep inform me I will see the credit on next statement, I see QVC/Synchrony Bank have added more flex pays causing each statement to be over the limit and charging me outrageous fees in the process.

UPS and USPS do not bring the boxes to the door of the apartment or leave a slip in the mail box or on the door if no one is home. They would leave all boxes in the lobby in front of the mailboxes where anyone could take your packages. This went on during the months of March through present. QVC was made aware of this the first time I experienced this but yet tack on all flex pays on every monthly statement. QVC =Quit Violating Consumers. QVC presenters claim how easy it is to return items but they don't tell you the full disclosure when it comes to crediting your account. I read other complaints of the same issues and we all cannot be lying.

Walmart dropped that $8 million lawsuit where as every consumer who Synchrony Bank has destroyed their credit should be made to pay for restitution and corrected their wrong. Synchrony Bank uses very deceptive tactics against consumers. I am waiting for a correct statement so that I can continue to pay off my bill each month as I was doing before this pandemic. With another wave coming and Election Day on Tuesday, I am trying my best to "Keep from going under". Everyone Stay Safe and Be Blessed. This too shall pass.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

This card is a perfect card for you to keep and use for all of your day to day needs. It is also great for your big items. It is easy to use and the billing is right on and easy to read. I love this card.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

I just logged into Synchrony to pay a couple of my credit cards and out of the blue on 10/27/2020 they closed all 8 of my credit card accounts. I have always made my payments on time. Many times I have paid off the cards and also made early payments. What a horrible thing to do when my dentist was just getting ready to charge a month's worth of dental bills to my Care Credit card and now $1000 will have to come out of pocket! Horrible company! I hope they go out of business!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

The rewards are the highlight of this credit card. I like that it can be used for groceries, gas, food, etc in addition to healthcare. The APR is quite high at 21% but I pay for purchases made each month instead of using my debit card and get cash back or gift cards as a bonus.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Closed all 10 of accounts same day. Lost 55,000 credit. Perfect customer. Good job. Destroyed my credit. I pray everyday to God hell get his wrath and close them. I believe he will answer my prayer. Worst company.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I love the fact that my purchases are on a promotional basis with no interest charged! I find their website to be totally user friendly, NOT!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I got a Rooms 2 Go card thru Synchrony Bank to purchase a day bed with a trundle bed. I am sending $50 per month, which is triple the payments. However, because my credit score dropped, they closed my account, which then impacted my score even more. It seems like they should have looked at how I was handling my account in addition to my score, but they do not. If possible, I will not ever utilize Synchrony Bank again because of this.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

The Synchrony credit card makes keeping my prime items that I buy in one place. It also offers reward dollars to shop Amazon. The app is very easy to navigate and pay my bills. Customer service has always been great when called.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I recently subscribed to this new card and so far has been great. I also are able to accumulate the points and they are generous with them. Since I pay my CC in full I can use those points for birthday or Christmas gifts for my 20 grand and 7 great grand kids.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

This is an Amazon Prime Store Card. My wife and I use Amazon a lot so this is a very convenient card to have with all purchases on one card and cash back to boot. Love it!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Like a lot of things these days, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. After many years they started closing my accounts with no warning or reason.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I had the misfortune of getting involved with Synchrony bank as they were partnered as a website's credit card provider. After "taking advantage" of a 1 year no interest offer earlier to purchase a computer for school the nightmare started. Month one I found out the auto enrolled me in a program that was adding an additional $80 every month as an "insurance policy" in case I was injured and couldn't make payments! Not only that but this charge itself wasn't qualified for my no interest promotion and thus immediately begun to accrue interest. It took 7 emails and over 4 hours on the phone to get this taken off.

Still every month I overpaid my bill to the point that I was easily going to have it paid off in 9-10 months no interest no problem. Beginning month four right when my payments were starting to make a dent into the % of used credit this account was bearing they decided to for no reason lower my credit limit to $10 over my current balance!! YUP you guessed it. Tight back at 99% account credit usage and a nice dip to the 'ol credit rating for an account that has nothing but perfect payments. To this there was and still is no real answer aside that Synchrony can do whatever it wants when it wants to its customers, and they will because who cares right? Not them! I tried fighting for days and days but they don't care and will eventually just stop responding.

I guess it shouldn't surprise you that come month 8, after nothing but continued perfect payments they lowered my maximum credit to $20 over my current balance again... Right back at 99% used credit on an account that had basically 10% of the initial credit/balance. Just a prime example of trash bank that will do nothing but try to screw you at every turn even if you are an impeccable customer. After paying off this card my credit was 15 points lower than when I opened it and it has nothing but perfect payments. Why would ANYONE do business with such a garbage company? I honestly avoid websites who partner with Synchrony at this point simply because it shows their own lack of judgement/care for customers.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

When I had to put my 16 year old dog down a couple of days before Christmas, I was excited to hear about Care Credit. They would provide me financing and it would be interest free for 90 days (may have been 6 months). How awesome is that? What I'm sure it tells you in the paperwork, which I didn't read through my tears, was that they do charge a late fee, no matter how late, of $28. I would have preferred to pay interest the whole time. But I guess that means they wouldn't get as much money. Greed disguised as compassion. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Moral of the story: 100% on time payments over 3 years, doubled my annual income, same or better credit score from the time I applied for the card, still ended up working against me somehow with Sychrony. I have a Synchrony Credit card with Guitar Center. I make more money than I did when I applied, have made 3 years of on time payments, never late. I got a notification saying my credit limit was changed. I called to see how much it went up by and found out they actually lowered it from 1,100 to 400! I've been making payments to get below the 30% usage and also to increase available credit for a big holiday purchase. That is now out the window as they cut my credit limit significantly. I was almost below the 30% usage and now I'm all the way back up to 80% because of this. I was waiting on my replacement card to ask for an increase, but it went the other direction before I even inquired about an increase.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Customer service sounds like you're on a speaker phone with the speaker very far away - they don't speak much English and have you jump through hoops just to pull up your account: verification code is recited over the phone with no explanation (was I supposed to write it down?), they want your name and address, then spell your name and address, then transfer you to someone else who is in a different department (why, I don't know) who again asks for your name and address, says they need a verification code, blah blah blah. Every other bank is either automated, or the agent looks up the phone number you are calling from and has your info right there. At a minimum they might ask for the account number and then a security word, but not Synchrony Bank. Ten minutes later, and they are still asking for a verification code and my address!

I loved getting the GAP/Athleta rewards on this card, but I have had real difficulty getting credited back on my account for items I have returned on the card. Which is why I called. Zappos says I returned the items, I have tracking that shows they got my return and also an email from Zappos saying refund has been processed. I even got a Synchrony alert saying "a credit has posted on your account"; but when I look online at the account, there's no credit - for this charge or another that was returned to a different vendor. It makes me wonder if they purposely hold onto your money through the billing cycle so you will pay the whole balance including the refunds you are waiting for, OR that they will be able to charge you interest and finance charges on a higher balance that doesn't reflect the returns.

The "chat" agent is virtual, until you complain that "Sydney" didn't answer your question. Then, a "live" agent will come on the line who isn't much better. She wanted the order date, amount, and UPS tracking number to show I had actually returned the items. I told her, "Zappos says they got it, your return has been processed, etc. so this isn't a Zappos problem, but a Synchrony Bank problem." It had already been ten days since Zappos said the credit came through so they should have had it, but they didn't. So, I gave her all the info and she "disputed" the original charge which would be resolved, she said, in up to 60 business days. When she didn't really answer my other question, Alex W. the chat person abruptly ended the call - just clicked off - and I was left with no answer.

When I tried to fill out the survey of my experience (it wasn't going to be a positive experience) a bunch of computer code came up as if someone had disabled that feature - I wonder why?! The dispute process if you have a problem is archaic; you can't dispute charges online, but have to fill out a paper form and fax (!) it to them! One charge, for gym membership charged after the gym closed due to Covid, is still on my account and has not been credited; most credit card companies will charge back the merchant and put it in suspense for you until it is resolved, but not Synchrony. They won't go to bat for you. It worries me if I end up with fraudulent activity on this card, so I am going to cancel it and get a card with a bigger, more reputable bank.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have perfect payment history with my Care Credit Card that I use two times for small payments with a $950 credit limit. I got a letter in the mail saying based on creditworthiness they were closing my account. The managers that I spoke to at customer service for horrible to me and told me there was nothing I could do. I feel like this is a deliberate move due to so many people struggling with the coronavirus pandemic that they're just cutting any cards before they lose money. Now I actually need this card for something I'm having done in five days and if I reapply I may not get it. Even after having perfect credit history with them this is just wrong.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Synchrony allows me to charge clothing from JCPenney and Blair. This has been great since CO-VID has limited shopping. My daughter has continued to grow, so we have needed to shop online.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I've had similar issues with Cards I've held for merchants utilizing Synchrony. Seems that their periodic reviews lower credit limits, and now in this case CLOSED the account with no adverse behavior on my part. When I called them, their Customer Care stated that in my Terms & Conditions it says they evaluate accounts every 4 months and this last review gave them a scare so they closed the account (reviewing real estate balances (its a 30 year loan ^)^ that is current), Balances to limits on store cards, lots of cards, etc. Thing is, my credit score was the same then. Nothing has changed except that I'm paying this account down slowly just like every other card I have.

For them, this isn't enough apparently. With two other cards I've held by them (low limits - 3-700 bucks) every few months they'd lower the limit as I paid it down until I finally just closed one of them. Also, they automatically sign you up for their services which automatically adds 10-15 bucks to each billing to 'protect' me should I become sick or jobless. I've declined those services and one would wonder if that's the true reason - because, you know, interest isn't enough... Very frustrating - trying to pay down balances (so that it helps my credit) and they lower limits or cancel with no warning. If you're applying for a store card that use Synchrony - RUN.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I have 7 Synchrony credit cards, mostly because they have taken over other companies and my cards that were originally with a store or other company now belong to Synchrony. I have always made well over the minimum payment, never been late, always stayed below my credit limit. I was one of the lucky ones when Covid hit and was able to keep my job, so paying my bills wasn't an issue. I received a notice from Credit Karma that my score dropped by 48 points in one day, and that ALL of my Synchrony accounts had been closed. Paypal, Amazon, Chevron, Care Credit, Lowes, Old Navy and more. No warning, no call, text, email, nothing, just closed all of my accounts and ruined my credit, overnight. I called and was told there was a letter in the mail to me and that it was a "business decision".

4 days later I still have nothing from the company. It is unbelievable to me that this unethical and damaging company is allowed to operate this way. I hope they get hit with Karma quickly since it sounds like from the reviews they are closing accounts of people who can pay their bills. The kind of customers they should WANT. I am also just disgusted that this is who PayPal, Care Credit and Amazon choose to do business with. To me, this tars them with the same brush of nastiness and bad business as Synchrony itself. I'm sure I will pull myself out of this and get my credit back, but it is pretty hard to make up 48 points. I am going to try and take this further and see if there is some sort of class action that can be filed to recoup the costs the arbitrary closing of these accounts will cause. If anyone was in the middle of trying to refinance their home or get a car their costs will go up significantly thanks to the lower credit score caused by Synchrony.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Company was very easy to work with, understood what I was looking for as far as good customer support. They also send out billing as a email to help cut down on paper. Just a great customer experience.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Steer clear of Synchrony Bank! They are NO GOOD! I wake up to 8 accounts being closed with them. They closed 2 accounts last month. One of these accounts I opened last month and they closed it this month saying that I was not using the card. Go to any bank, but them!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Like using the Amazon Store Card by Synchrony Bank. There's no interest payable if used according to the card's terms. I like that if I charge at least $150 total on an Amazon order, I can pay affordable payments without any interest accruing.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I have several accounts with Synchrony and never have a problem. If I need help from customer service they are very good to work with. I just have not had any issues.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

They never sent me a credit card due to address error. Then, three months after my first purchase, they sent my phone # to debt collectors without my consent. I told them that, I cannot pay them a dime without a credit card statement and a credit card. Moreover, they have a really lousy customer service and I really had a hard time communicating with them.

Synchrony Financial Company Information

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)
www.synchronyfinancial.com