2. Finance

formerly GE CareCredit

Synchrony Financial
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.21/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Synchrony Financial Reviews

Original review: May 18, 2020

I was so relieved to use Care Credit through Synchrony Bank when I needed emergency oral surgery. Until 6 months later. I had never outright missed a payment, though admittedly had been late. I had never paid the minimum, but instead always paid a couple hundred more than the minimum requested each month. My card balance went from 1,800 to 700 in 6 months...not too bad, well over half paid. So I get to the 700, but get a bill for 796. I expected to pay interest and finance charges - but $96, in one month!? HA! In 40 years and countless accounts - I have never encountered a figure like this, anywhere.

After calling, stating my case, and looking for some type of assistance/help (especially being temporarily laid off from work due to Coronavirus), I was met with, "Well that's the charge since the promotion ended, but if I can pay the full balance they can be of assistance with a minimum discount." If that statement wasn't so outrageous, it would be laughable. I wasn't even looking for a deferment or lower monthly lower payment, I was just inquiring for a courtesy reversal of a bogus $96.00 highway robery charge. Nope. Additionally, and I almost have to laugh again at this point - they reduced my card limit by over $1000.00.

As soon as I pay the balance on this scam that wears the image as a help, I will be closing this account, immediately. My "worst" credit card isn't this bad, lol! Definite eyeopener. During these trying times of Coronavius when so many companies have extended generous programs to aid their clientele, this is not one of those companies. Stars given - 0. Thumbs down - 2. Wolf in sheep's clothing! Read the fine print, and good luck! Hope this helps!

Original review: May 18, 2020

I had CD with them, Their mails notifications never arrives. Their systems doesn't support of setting action on CD maturity. They have auto renew CD, without sending any notification to customers, and when asked to cancel charging 180 days interest penalty. And not ready to consider the situation as customer has not received notification for renew, and their system not support to set up action on maturity. The way they hold customers, with auto renewals of CD and charging big penalty, to customers are force to keep their money with them. Awful customer service, even supervisors are rude and not ready to consider situations.

Original review: May 18, 2020

After reading recent reviews during Covid-19, I see that I am not the only victim of this company. No issues, late payments and they closed my credit with them. No notice. When I called, supervisor clearly was reading a script. He stated credit bureau when I said nothing, he stated FTC when I said nothing in relation but said he can provide their information. I did state that I wanted to file a complaint and please transfer me to that department and he said, "They don't answer their phone." I called because they sent me an email saying I missed a payment but clearly didn't. My payment went directly from my bank as I have the email receipt. Not a credit company to deal with.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Be aware of this bank. They’ll give you credit and then they’ll raise your APR to 23%. Walmart used them, but Walmart switch to Capital One. They realize Synchrony are evil. Worst bank or financial company ever.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Years ago I opened credit cards backed by Synchrony Bank: Paypal, Amazon Prime and Toys R Us. A year and a half ago I closed them with intent to pay them off. Up until this year I was never late on paying on them, in fact the PayPal card is pretty much paid off. Then the pandemic hit. I lost part of my income. My roommate is unemployed. We might have to move in a few months if her business doesn't pick up again. We barely make rent as it is. All of my other creditors worked with me, even the one who was initially reluctant (Mercury Card). But not Synchrony. For the entire month of March and up to mid April I couldn't get in touch with anyone. This resulted in my April 5 and April 8 payments for the Amazon Prime and Toys R Us cards being late. On April 15, I was told that if I paid $72 on each of them - this is DOUBLE what I normally pay on each of them - she would waive the late fees and the accounts would be current. I used my stimulus check and paid them.

Lo and behold this was a flat out lie from the customer service person. The Toys R Us card generated another payment of $38 that I was expected to pay, which I did, even though I needed the money for other bills. The Amazon card never generated another payment that I was aware of. And then I logged in to check the account yesterday and was met with $100 minimum due - basically 2.5 times the normal minimum payment. They also added on another late fee. I called and got a completely unhelpful customer service rep who talked down to me and was flat out rude! She hung up on me and when I called back the line claimed that customer service was closed! I'm posting this so people know the real truth about this bank. They're in the news claiming to be super helpful. They're not. They're the absolute worst of all of my creditors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: May 17, 2020

I would rate it negative stars if I could. I applied for this card with the understanding Synchrony offered a promo of no interest charged for 6 months. That was the sales pitch. However, apparently, this really means a DELAY of interest, as I was hit with a whopping interest charge of almost $300 on the statement for month 7! What kind of a company does this?!? This was a deliberate misrepresentation and I will NEVER EVER use this card again. In fact, I have already destroyed it.

Original review: May 17, 2020

I received an alert from my credit monitoring service stating my Discount Tire Credit Card with Synchrony had been canceled. I contacted Synchrony Customer Service. I talked to multiple people and was given a different reason for the closure by each person. One person claimed the account was closed due to a credit score of 599. Reviewed my score while I was on the phone with the representative and the actual score was much higher than he claimed. I was then transferred to another person that claimed my card closure was due to my payment history with Synchrony. I had the card for over a year the card has had a $0 balance for over a few months and all payments had been paid on time or ahead of time. Every payment I made I either paid the card off or paid double the due amount for the month. So no way it was due to bad payment history with Synchrony.

I was later informed by another representative that if I wanted to dispute the card closure I would have to dispute it with Transunion because they were responsible for the closure. Told the lady Transunion is a credit reporting agency and they do not hold the account. Again, she insisted I contact Transunion and dispute the closure. Just found out that JC Penny filed for bankruptcy today and guess who is the credit supplier for JCPenny Credit Cards? That's right Synchrony Bank/ Financial. Wonder if that has something to do with all these account closures Synchrony has been doing under false pretenses. Now I have a bad mark on my credit report for something I didn't do and Synchrony is not willing to admit real reasoning for the closure nor are they willing to correct the issue.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Apparently, your customers are not "amazing" as you claim. I have been a cardholder with you for almost 1 year and you abruptly shut out my Old Navy account because 2 payment was returned. I guess you guys want to be cold and heartless during this COVID pandemic. I hold multiple Synchrony accounts and to be tossed like trash is not cool. I am on the phone right now with a representative and they even said I had a good payment history and don't understand. They charge late fees and that isn't sufficient enough. They punish the customer and shut the account out completely. They said they could not reopen the account. I would need to reapply. I told them I would never reconsider reapplying with them. I may go ahead a shut out my other accounts with them. I despise Synchrony Bank and do not trust them to meet my financial needs.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Unfortunately, being a good customer, having automated payments does not count at all. I have a good credit and I have never received a call from anyone not even an email telling me that apparently there was a returned payment. They have stated that if 2 payments are returned they will close your account and sure they did without even letting me know there was a returned payment nor that the account will be closed. Yet, I have paid them every month from the account I have set up for automated payments which has been deducted every month as per my bank statement and I have the evidence from my bank.

I had to call 5 times to find someone in my 4th and 5th call to help me. You can submit a complaint to an Orlando FL address which Is where I’ll start and then I am reporting them to the FDIC. I have never had a situation like this. I was in the middle of buying a house and I have lost my opportunity because the company does not communicate with the costumers at all... I’ll be sending them evidence of my phone calls record showing that I have called in and no comments were even recorded of my conversation from their employee.

When I called in and the lady said everything was good in my account while her kid was screaming in the background which I can understand because due to the COVID-19 most of us are working from home... Next thing I learn through an Experian notification is the account was closed by the grantor. Thank you synchrony for limiting your customers to the point you have messed a big purchase such as a home.

Customers, I have good credit and I highly do not recommend you to get a Lowe’s card. The last 2 representatives were really helpful but 1 manager even hanged up the call. Another one did not even bother to help. The 3rd manager I spoke with did a good job trying to help me. You have no idea how much I have cried and the nervous breakdown I had. I have worked so hard for my credit and to get my house and this company which I could have paid off at once.. just messed up my credit. I could even lose my job which requires good credit.

Oh Lowe’s Synchrony Bank I have no way to express my disappointment. And since you all say you cannot help I’ll keep pushing until the end reason why I’m going to the FDIC and any other forum I can find. What a nightmare!!! I have other credit cards from synchrony and I hope they are not planning to the the same... This is incredible.

Original review: May 16, 2020

I have had credit accounts with Synchrony for years. I am well above 6 digits income. All my accounts were in good standing with a total credit limit of over $50K. No late payments, no changes on my credit score. They raised every card limit over 400% within the last few months based on that credit worthiness and score. Then, in one single day, Synchrony closed every single account without notice. Received a letter stating "Activity on accounts indicative of high risk of failure to pay". How is that possible when there were less than $3k total on just 2 of the several accounts I had with them. This $50k reduction severely increased my debt ratio and ripped over 100 point on my score.

They said that they cannot reverse the decision despite acknowledging it is odd. I would never recommend this bank for any services who find nothing wrong with what they have done to my credit. They say "They don't consider the impact on the card holder when these decisions are made". Speaks volumes of their practices. I am in the process of seeking legal assistance to challenge that impact on my score without cause. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Synchrony Financial Company Information

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)
www.synchronyfinancial.com