2. Finance

formerly GE CareCredit

Synchrony Financial
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Synchrony Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I opened an account with this bank for a PC Richards credit card. They ran my credit and gave me a 1000 credit limit. I’ve been paying it without delay and before it’s due. I received an alert from my credit monitoring app that my credit decreased and my score decreased as well as my balance. Upon review I discovered that Synchrony Bank decided to drop my credit limit to 400 dollars. Upon calling customer service and waiting over 20 minutes I was told there was nothing they could do. It was an automatic review and was hung up on, which again makes absolutely no sense considering that outside of Capital One this is the only credit card I have and my payment history is excellent. Synchrony Bank is a terrible horrible bank that deserves to collapse in on itself. Stay away from this bank at all costs!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

After my first experience with Synchrony, I should have known not to get another account. They reduced credit on not one account, but another that hadn't been used. No matter that payments were made. The negative hits to my credit in a single month was in excess of 50 points. Will pay off account and never use again. Cash only at any vendor offering their credit from now on.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I have been an excellent customer of Synchrony for the past three years. I applied for and was approved for a Synchrony Care Credit card. I applied for this card to help cover vet expenses for my Boston Terrier, Daizy. She had glaucoma, allergies and other medical issues that required daily medications and several vet visits a year to keep her healthy. I paid my Care Credit card in full and most times BEFORE it was due every time I used it for her. I applied for and was approved for a City Furniture card. I was saving the card for new furniture for when I closed on my new house this year in the Fall.

Right before my closing, they reduced the limit on ALL of the cards I had for Synchrony. I had zero balances on them. My dog had a medical emergency this month! I rushed her to the vet's office and they required a pre-payment so I attempted to use my Care Credit card which declined! I did not have the funds available in cash to cover the emergency and my dog died! I called Synchrony to ask why my card was cancelled and was told they were not allowed to give that information over the phone and a notice was mailed to me in November (of which I still have never received).

My Daizy was like my child. I got her when she was 6 weeks old. She would have turned 12 years old January 1, 2021. She received better health care than I did because I wanted to make sure she was happy and healthy. I blame Synchrony for her death. With no warning or notice, they just arbitrarily closed ALL of my credit card accounts without notice. I had never been late on a payment. Never! I paid it in full EVERY time before or on the due date. Beware using this company! They are scammers!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Unfortunately, like most Americans and people around the world, my family has been drastically effected by COVID-19. Most of my creditors have been understanding and have even offered to freeze payment for a month or two until I could catch up. This company pulled my credit score (which lowered my already low score) and then lowered the amount of my credit card limit. I had just paid $150 on the card and was hoping to use some of the money to buy food for my family on the Holiday. When they lowered my limit, that took away the extra money I put on the card. This company is greedy and does not care about its customers. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I have had Synchrony Mastercard through Paypal for approximately 3 years. I primary use this account for business and take advantage of the 2% cashback. This account has been problematic from the beginning. This account has continued to have issues with security freezeouts on my account. This would happen almost every billing cycle. Recently the security lock-out have been happening on every other transaction over the last 6 months. Recently I lost several important payments for inventory because of the security freeze. Because of the freeze I lost out on purchases costing me over $4000.00 lost opportunity revenue. After unfreezing my account for the 4th time in 2 months I am filing this review.

Here is the issue I ask to speak to a supervisor regarding this issue. I was refused! I ask is this issue happening to other card users. I was informed this was a company wide issue. I asked how this is being addressed. CS had no true response but apologize and said they are trying to fix the issue. This issue has been going on for 6 months. Just tonight my account is frozen again and a business purchase was cancelled. I am done with this account.

I suggest that anyone having issue to never ever do business with Synchrony credit card services. They refuse to fix the problem and refuse to offer any sort of compensation for the thousands of lost revenue. Now they claim my account is a security risk and that I have not access to it until a new card is sent to me. My old card is no longer active and shut down. Mind you that I have paid off all my statements on time and most of these transactions are repeat purchase from same businesses. There are a lot of better Credit Cards Companies out there. Synchrony is definitely not one of them unless you want your card frozen all of the time.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Do not open any credit cards with this financial institution. They have poor customer service and account specialist that do not honor their word or follow through with their decisions for customers. I had an issue with a deferred interest payment, I was told over the phone to make the payment and contact back to see what support they could give me. I made the payment and called back, and they agreed to remove the interest charges. Couple of weeks later, that request was supposedly denied and never happened, and they are still trying to collect the interest charge from me. These people are heartless, untrustworthy, and scum.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Horrible company practices. I wish I never applied for credit with Ashley Furniture. Closed my account despite making on time payments. They should be investigated by BBB!!! I will never do business with these crooks again!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I applied for the Amazon Credit Card offered through Synchrony. I was approved for a $1600 credit line. I logged on to my Amazon account and there was my card and a request to make it my default card. I did and decided to place an order so that I could use the subscribers discount that was offered as a lure to apply for the card. I placed the order and received $60, as promised, off my first order. Lo and behold the next day my order was put on hold and and the card declined. When I called Synchrony, I was informed that I could not use the card until I received it in the mail. I explained that the card was in my Amazon wallet but was told again that I could not use it until I received it in the mail. How hell would they know if I receive it in the mail.

I asked again why Amazon requested I set it as my default payment. They had no answer just repeated that I could not use the card until I receive it in the mail. Obviously Synchrony has a monitor on my mailbox. They just want to get out of giving the promised perk for applying. I cancelled my card and my Amazon order. I can get the same dutch oven at target for $20 less.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Applied for and was accepted for a Verizon Visa thru Synchrony. Started using and a couple of days later they freeze the account after I called to correct an error they had made in the listed contact phone number. After a long wait to talk to someone's, they said they would mail me a pin and I’d see it in 7-10 business days. Never got it. All the while, can’t use the card. So I called back and after another super long wait they said they would have to mail another pin, which would be an additional 7-10 days. I’m done. They lure you in with the promise of 4% back on groceries which is better than other cards but not nearly worth dealing with the long waits and poorly trained, hard to hear and hard to understand customer service reps who are happy to parrot cue card jargon while demonstrating zero empathy or interest in actually addressing the customer’s concern. Do not recommend this bank or card.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Synchrony Bank has awful practices. Opened a card to purchase furniture, $6k limit. Always pay, and even pay extra to make sure I don't get crushed with interest. For no reason they pull my credit and drop my limit. All of my other credit cards reached out during Covid to see if I needed assistance. They just dropped my limit. 5 months later they did it again!! They are personally responsible for the negative impact on my score. Then I find out today, because I notice $245 in suspicious fees that they have no grace period, so even if your payment shows up 1 day late you are charged $40. I was never notified of being late because it was never more than a few days, mostly because the bank sends it electronically and a weekend hit. Again, no notice, no letter, I just happened to notice a fee. I have placed multiple complaints. I cannot wait to pay this off and never be associated with this criminal enterprise again.

Synchrony Financial Company Information

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)
www.synchronyfinancial.com