2. Finance

formerly GE CareCredit

Synchrony Financial
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Synchrony Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I opened a Google Store financing account 2 years ago to purchase a phone. I made all of my payments on time, but for some reason they lowered my credit limit without warning. Last week I tried to pre-order the new phone, and it was declined because my limit was too low. I applied for a credit line increase and was immediately declined, and they told me that I would receive a letter in the mail with an explanation. Their explanation was that I didn't have enough activity on my account. I have a high FICO score and a good income, so it really blew my mind. I called back and they denied me again, even though I explained that the only way I could increase my activity was to be able to purchase the new phone. If the account is specifically for financing a phone, how often do they expect someone to purchase phones to keep up the level of activity they're looking for? The customer service rep was no help at all, either.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

This is very bad company that will lower your allotted credit amount without notice and then send the notice it in the mail after they had reported your new fixed amount. Each credit card shall have no greater than 30 % of your Credit Utilization (30/100). They purposely with intent, lowered my accounts credit amount from the original amount that was reflecting 30 percent of my Credit Utilization on that card. Now they made sure to adjust the allotted amount to reflect 100% Credit Utilization. Then immediately reported it to the credit bureau as if I over maxed their cards. I immediately canceled all cards with this Synchrony company under fraudulent activity. Do not think for one second they will lend you credit without consequences. This is highly damaging to your credit reports. All the companies that used Synchrony Financial are Chevron, Texaco, American Tires, Medical Companies and Care Care programs.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

I have been diligently working on my credit. It has been a struggle but very rewarding. I HAD a Victoria’s Secret Credit Card for almost 6 years! I haven’t had a late payment in years. When COVID hit I made sure to pay off my balance while I had money. I was at a $0 balance since May or June. Money is funny and there’s no way for me to shop. I only shopped in stores because my weight fluctuates and I get fittings for bras every time I’d go. All stores have been shut down. About 2/3 weeks ago I get a Credit Karma notification that my score has been affected because of a closed account. With NO WARNING, out of courtesy at least, they closed my account and lowered my score. I was so hurt and I tried to call to see if there was anything that I could do. The automated message said if your account has been closed due to inactivity THERES NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE... Click!!! It hangs up in your face. I’m very sad and upset.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

CareCredit did not send me another card before my card expired and 15 days later, my account was closed. I called and received NO explanation. I spoke to 4 different people-1 being a supervisor. I have names and the call logs for proof. They were insulting and provided the worst customer service ever for a business and as a credit card company. Keeping in mind that I was on the phone with them multiple times for well over 2hours. I will never use them again and strongly advise others not to use CareCredit. I do not know how many times to say it...horrible service!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I'm leaving this review because I received a letter in the mail that my account has been closed. I've had the card for Gap for 6 years. I've never missed a payment, though I've usually carried some sort of balance on it up until this year. I continued to use the card because each purchase and subsequent payment earns rewards. I was saving up rewards and was about to use them. Then I find out that the account has been closed. They claimed that my lack of payments on my student loans was to blame, but I've made all of my payments on time since my graduation last year. I have no idea what they are talking about, but to add insult to injury they are throwing off my debt to income ratio by closing the account. It makes no sense to me, but at least I no longer have any store credit cards which was a goal. I just liked the perks of the Gap Card. Oh well, goodbye. They are probably doing me a favor in the long run.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

They aren't very communicative. The terms aren't fully explained upfront so you're in for unpleasant surprises. Your credit has to be perfect and then they actually locked me out of my account when I tried to make my payment which forced it to be late. They charged me for Their mistakes!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I do not have an account with Synchrony Financial, but have been receiving mail for a previous owner of my home. Forwarding her mail had not helped, so I attempted to contact customer support to let them know that the mailing address on the account is incorrect. The answer I was given was "Stop receiving it," as though I have any choice in the matter. I just want to stop receiving other people's mail, but the customer service was completely unwilling to do anything about it.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

My wife and I have several credit cards through this bank and they lowered our limits and closed one account when Covid 19 hit. They are all about self preservation. Never even called us to check our situation. We have since paid them off and I do not plan to do business with them again in the future. Horrible customer service and tough times. We used several of our cards for some renovations to our home which is what the cards are for and they punished us for it. What is the point of having the cards if you don't use them? They clearly over reacted...

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

When I 1st signed up with Synchrony I was advised no credit check is required. It is based on your annual salary. That was their guarantee. I make fairly good money so they approved me on credit. I got credit through their Care credit, Lowes, JC Penney, Paypal, Auto, Rooms to Go, HQ shopping, The higher credit which with JC penney, Lowe's Rooms to go as well it's care credit @2000.00. Now let me point out I have never, never been late. I have paid above the minimum required amount the majority of each payment. I have been paying in to this company somewhere around 300.00 a month for all these credit cards which I'm not having a problem with doing now.

All of a sudden they're dropping my cards down to $200 telling made they've check my credit Telling me my credit score was too low reflecting as 601. I just bought a car. My credit score is 697. They told me trans America told them it was 601. I called trans America. I obtained a copy of my report. It showed at that time 650. Credit scores don't jump that much in a matter of 2 months. They lied, they are deceitful, and I believe that they initially tell you no credit check, that they go by your annual income to get people to sign up, so it shows a high number of register customers.

Again, originally the online agreement was no credit is required, only an annual income. I provided place of employment. They have dropped me down on Rooms to Go. They judge dropped me down from Sam's club from $700 till a little over $200, rooms to go from 2500 to 200. And I never even used it. The care credit card was shut off no warning. No warning on any of this, none! They lied, they were dishonest, they failed to follow through with the original contract agreement and they need to be held accountable. They lied about why they dropped my credit, they lied about my credit score. In my opinion this is a disreputable bank. My suggestion is stay clear from synchrony bank. Stay away from them. I did nothing that should have caused this to happen to me. They embarrassed me at the store when I tried to use my Sam's club card. And they don't care.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I have had many credit cards, but never has a bank made it so hard to make a payment. I tried their online service for payments as I have done for dozens of other cards. Never did their online system work. I did not have late payments, but had to call in and make payments over the phone. After the third month that I tried re-entering in my checking account and the payment not working they canceled the card. Mind you I paid on time in full every month, I just tried their online system before having to make a phone call. Well, they took all of my cashback reward. I was going to cancel the card anyway because it feels like a scam. I would advise anyone thinking about getting a Sam's Club Master Card, Credit Card using Synchrony Bank to NOT!! SCAM would be a nice term for what this is, at the very least it was very poor customer service, and a rotten banking experience.

Synchrony Financial Company Information

Synchrony Financial (formerly GE CareCredit)
www.synchronyfinancial.com