Direct Merchants Bank

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A representative called from RMG Mediation to advise me Direct Merchant ($5860) and Providian Bank ($1586) are filing a judgement against me. These accounts were opened May 2001. I have never owned or opened an account with Direct Merchant or Providian, yet this pops up every 2 years or more. I have been contacted by these people over the years. They have the last 4 of my SS, my address (I am an homeowner). They will contact me to go to court in within 48 hours. I feel these accounts are sold and the new purchaser will threaten and do all they can to get you to pay. I will never pay for charges that are not mine. This feels like and illegal collection practice.

My husband recently passed away, and I am paying my credit card debt and not using my cards. My interest with Direct Merchant is 26.24%, and I asked if they could reduce that rate due to my circumstances so that I could pay the card off sooner. Basically, I have no intentions of ever using the card again due to the high interest rate. I thought it would benefit both of us to lower the rate, but no, and not even a nice no!

Four weeks ago, I got 20 phone calls in five days from the same 800 number and had nobody answer when I picked up. When I called the number back, it did not identify itself but asked for an account number or to enter social security number. Finally, on the 21st call in six days, somebody answered and it was Direct Merchants. After I chewed on the guy for a minute, I made my $112 payment. Today, I got 5 phone calls from an 800 number and they finally answered when I picked up. Guess who? It was Direct Merchants Bank. I chewed on him for five minutes telling him I would make the payment that was one day late and then I called T-Mobile and blocked their phone number. Don't call me with a computer unless you have an operator to answer.

Knowledge is power. You need to be informed there are laws out here to protect your rights. By certified mail, you can stop the calls. Read the Credit Card Act of 2009. Be informed of your rights. I have had an account with DMB since 2001. I closed the account in December 2009 when a notice came in December 2009 that my interest rate would go up, therefore, I locked my interest rate in. In 2009, the Credit Card Act was passed that stopped credit card company from charging an outrageous fee. The law stated that all payments over the minimum payment would be applied to the highest interest rate.

DMB is in violation of this law. I have contacted BBB, Senator Thad Cochran, three major credit bureaus and OCC. DMB always comes up with a lie. I have been disputing this account since August 2010 and have never missed a payment in the 11 years. In October 2011, they charged on a closed account in the amount of $289.00. You can take DMB to Small Claims Court which I am doing. You can dispute this account with the three major credit bureaus and they must respond to them within 30 days or removed from your credit. Stand up for what you believe in or fall for anything that comes at you. The acquisition company cannot threaten you with a lawsuit; however, they can get a judgment against you in a court of law. They must notify you that a court case has been set. Go in and tell the judge what has happened.

My credit card account became over the limit due to the interest rate of the account. DMB reported to the credit reporting agency that this account went over the limit and made no attempt to contact me either through email or that my account was over the limit. I have had this credit card since 2005. I never missed a payment and never went over the credit limit prior. I have also unsuccessfully attempted several times to negotiate down the ridiculous interest rate of 27.99%, which has gone up since I opened this account just because they cannot as I've failed to keep my agreement with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Direct Merchants Bank?

I have been with DMB for over ten years. My limit was $5700, which I never surpassed, but due to being laid off and making ends meet, I was hammered with overlimit fees each month and late fees each month until my balance reached over $7000. In the past eight to ten years, I have paid over $15,000 in payments and my balance is still $4100.

A good example is last month. I paid a $128 payment and only $32 went to the principal of the account. I asked customer service if they had a program to reduce some of the excess charges and here's where catch 22 come in. If your account is currently not past due or over the limit, there is no assistance. The way they work the system, when I can finally get this account paid off, I will probably end up paying this account more for a credit than for a house. They will hound you for a payment and make sure they get their late charges but still want to see how much money they can suck out of you regardless of the situation.

During the past seven years, I have survived retirement due to health, beating cancer and losing both parents but I still never missed a payment in fear of having them start stacking charges on me again. They closed the account but continued charging me late charges.

I received more than 30 calls from a collection agency stating a balance more than $2000. I requested copy of statements because I know what I had purchased through Direct Merchants. Unable to send me statements, they continued to harass me, calling early morning, late at night, even on Sundays. I tried to explain that I was willing to pay what I owed them for less than $600. No one would help. Two days ago ago, I received a letter from a law group stating if payment is not received within 30 days, charges would be filed. After searching on internet, I finally found a phone number in one of the complainants' story. Three phone numbers later, I was told that my account had been sold to an acquisition company and only they could get copies of my billing statements. I called acquisition company and was told that was not true. So as of this moment, I just want to be heard. There seems to be a lot of people that feel the same.

I am a long time customer. I admit there was an outstanding balance every month, but i was still making the required payment issued each month. As soon as I finished paying my card in full (which I overpaid by mistake), I was sent a new statement that read zero balance owed, but my account had been closed. I called the # on the statement, and had to talk to someone foreigner I hardly could understand. This person said I would have to go online, and reapply for a card. I am asking why. My credit was good with my payments. My card was paid in full, so why was it suddenly and without any notice, closed? This is very bad business to a very long time member. I just want my card reissued (as before), and I would be fine with that.

I have had a credit card for eight years with this company and have done thousands of dollars with them. Recently, I have had difficulty paying my account and in October, came out of retirement to help make ends meet. In October, a representative of Direct Merchants called to make arrangements for payment. They stated that if I made three payments of $134 biweekly, that my account would be caught up and I would not receive the daily calls anymore. The payments were made as they were deducted from my bank account.

In December, I was called and told that I needed to pay $499 and my account would not be in arrears any longer. I told them that I had just paid what they asked and was told that was last month. I was told that if I did not pay what they asked, that the phone calls would continue. I agreed to pay $250 on December 16th and again on January 16th. When I looked at my bank account online, they had debited my account on the December 16th and again on December 30th.

I called customer service and spoke with someone named Asaab who, when asked, said he was in India. He informed me that this should not have happened, but if I wanted to have the charges reversed, I would need to go to my bank and fill out forms to have my money back. He continued that this would take up to five to six days after the forms were delivered. I told him that it was not acceptable, that I would need to take off work to do this and went on to tell him that if they can push a button on their computer to withdraw funds from my account, that they should be able to push another button to put it back.

I then spoke with his supervisor who told me that if I insisted, they could reverse the charges, but it would take up to 30 days. Unreal! The next day, I received my statement that had the December 16th payment and stated I owed a minimum payment of $110 due by January 17th. So, why was I being harassed to make these payments in the first place? I am very upset that this company who makes millions each year would stoop so low as to take money without prior authorization from a person's bank account.

You have, this month, charged me $70.81 in fees and another past due amount shows $137. I get paid the fourth Wednesday of each month, and I pay you the same day. I started the month with $3,900.87, and ended with $4,059.59. If this keeps up, I will owe you more than I ever did. What is happening? I have never paid late, except on your billing system. I have paid you each month, and my payments keep increasing. I am frustrated.

I received a phone call from a woman in India, trying to get me to apply for a lesser percentage on my Direct Merchants MasterCard. She wanted to transfer me over to an account, financier? When I told her I wasn't really sure who she represented, she could not relate correctly, being offshore. I said, no I wasn't interested and hung up. She called me back! It took me forever to get off the phone. I told her not to call again.

I have been calling since March to get a $15.76 refund for some payment protection plan. I was told each time by someone in India that they would handle it. It is now August and I still don't see a credit – number one, because I did not receive the bill for August.

I called today to talk again to someone in the US and was told they can't guarantee that. Why not? It's funny, all these years I have received this bill and now, all of a sudden, I did not. I waited for 20 minutes for John **. What is that all about? No one ever came to the phone. This company is sickening. Elizabeth **

On 5/2/11 I called to pay off total balance and close the account. I gave ACH routing number and checking account and received confirmation #28108219 and closed my account. I paid in full. I have been monitoring my checking account waiting for the payment to clear. Today 5/12/11 I called to investigate why the payment had not cleared.

I was told by customer service rep Randy #8NV that they were unable to clarify the checking account number. I have used this checking account to pay all HSBC/Direct Merchants Bank bill for over a year and half. At no time did any customer service rep attempt to call me to rectify this situation or to clarify the account number. No action was taken on their part to fulfill my directive to pay off this debt.

Instead, today they charged me an additional $30 as the bill was late. They wanted to charge me the additional $15 for check by phone, but after asking, they agreed to waive the $15 check by phone fee.

I should never have been charged that last fee of $30. I called the customer service number 1-800-379-7999 and the recording states that this account was paid in full on 5/2/11 and that the account is closed. I want my $30 late fee back as I was not late, they offer poor customer service and there is no one there to talk to. Where is the CEO or Pres. of Customer service when they are needed?

I realized my card was being charged for Account Protection which I had not requested. I called to have the charges removed. I had actually paid this for three months. They said that they could only remove two months of the charges unless I wanted it to be "investigated" and if they then found I had not requested it, they would refund the total fee.

Well, I knew I had not requested it, so agreed to let them investigate. I feel this is a scam as most people would say "ok refund two months" and they can keep the rest. This week will be the 90 day mark. I am sure, I will not receive anything prior to that and will probably have to make a call to get it then. I do not see how this is any less fraudulent than any charge put on a credit card that you have not authorized and is simply a way for them to either hope you don't notice, or if you do notice, that you let them keep part of it to get the refund faster. If they are doing this to me, trust me they are doing it to many people.

I had applied for their credit card back in 1992 or 1993, I think, not sure. I was in the middle of my mother passing away, pregnant with 2nd child and in a middle of a divorce. I was only working part time and used the credit card to feed my kids, etc. From what I can remember, I only charged about $2500. After my ordeal, I lost my job and wasn't working, couldn't pay my credit cards. So I notified them of my dilemma. After a year or so, I started a new job and was able to make payments. I was not able to come to to a reasonable agreement.

Then my dad passed away. I was found with cervical cancer and was in a financial hardship, trying to feed my daughters and find a way to pay my rent. I tried my best to contact all the creditors and Direct Merchants was not sympathetic to my situation so I had no choice but to fulfill my priorities and feed my kids. After a few years, I was able to regain financially and started to pay them on a monthly basis.

Just last year, the place I was living had a water flood and I lost all my documents, etc. I was not able to contact them with my new situation. They recently contacted me stating I owed them over $21,000. This is ridiculous and unreasonable. I tried explaining my situation, willing to come to a settlement for the original amount owed and they where not in agreement. This kind of company should be shut down. They give you credit and then exploit the consumer. I'm a single mother solely supporting my two girls. I worked to pay my rent and put food on the table. I don't take vacations. I can't remember the last time I went to the movies or ate at a restaurant. So I live paycheck to paycheck. And they want me to pay them $900 a month which I can't afford even if I wanted to.

I have never had a credit card with Direct Merchant but they claim I have not paid in almost a year.

In April 2006, I filed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. I had a credit card with Direct Merchants Bank which I included with the bankruptcy. DMB did not respond to the notification of the bankruptcy, instead they charged off my account not until October 2010. This is not fair at all. I have paid my bankruptcy off and it has been discharged as of October 6, 2010. I am watching my credit report and watched the score go down considerably because of the charge-off status on my credit report. I have called them and asked them to remove it but they refused and only to tell me that it's their practice to charge off. This is not a way to protect the debtor who files a bankruptcy and have this treatment and outcome from a credit card company.

In 1999 my boyfriend applied for a credit card with Direct Merchants and I was an additional user. His social security number was used and his signature. Some how, many years later, (now), I have a judgement in my name on my credit report from this credit card being unpaid. We both used the card and he was the primary and financially responsible for the account. I have no way of contacting them.

I have never ever had a Direct Merchants credit card! I have been receiving bills for something I have never had and this is also showing up on my credit and I never had this card. I have only had three credit cards in my life and none of them were over $500.00. So a card for $4000.00? I just do not understand! I want this taken off my credit immediately! This has damaged my credit for some time. What are you going to do to help fix that, I wonder?

I recently had a stroke, which caused me to shut down my business of 24 years and now I am disabled. I have been doing business with Direct Merchants Mastercard for years. They had my payment scheduled for the first day of every month, no problem until I was declared disabled and received one check a month on the third of each month. I called them to have my payment date changed to the third of each month, two days later, and they refused me. I cut up my card and am telling everyone how they did me.

The remittance envelope they send you to mail your check is a security hazard. Not only is there no plastic film enclosing the address, there is no inside imprinting so that all your account information can be seen quite easily behind a bright light. It would seem that a company who wants your business should care enough to spend the money to protect your account information as much as possible. This is the only credit card that does not have adequate protection against identity theft. Boo.

I've bee a loyal customer to direct merchants bank since 2001. I actually paid them off once in 2004 or 2005, unfortunately I ran the card back up. I missed one payment in 2009 and the interest rate went to 27.99% which is extremely high. I called them to see if the interest rate could be reduced at least 3x, and until this day they refused to reduce it. They informed me that I am a good customer but unfortunately they can't reduce the rate at this time. Some of the customer service representatives are very rude. I explained to them that I'm not trying to get away without paying, I just want to pay without it being a strain. I'm still making my payments on time but the finance charges are killing me. I just want or hope to get a reasonable rate that would make it possible to keep my credit in good standard.

Direct Merchants Bank has not sent me back the money that I overpaid them. After they received full payment for the balance, they continue to take payments from me even after I overpaid them. I have called them several times and spoken to the credit card bank's associates and all I have received are false promises that they will refund that money that belongs to me. I even sent them a letter with the check number and date of my payments to them. They do acknowledge that they are in the wrong but all I get are words and no money. Please help me! Their phone number is 1 800-379-7999. I am 60 years old. I need help, please!

I paid my balance online and they acknowledge posting the payment on June 25. Their policy states, they can put a hold on my payment to post for up to 14 days to verify funds. I believe this is unreasonable given the availability of information among banks to verify, it should not take this long. They said July 8 is when they can post the payment. I believe check verification laws were passed decades ago to minimize the hold time banks put on verifying checks. This is ridiculous. I cannot use my card for further purchases and lose out on advertising I could have purchased to increase business. In addition, big inconvenience and embarrassment when I present my card with payment posted early and balance fewer than 10% of credit limit.

After 22 years as a loyal customer with an impeccable payment record and a credit limit of $20,000+. I received a notice that my limit was being reduced to $5000. When I questioned it, I was told I should consider myself lucky because most people were taken down to $300. He said it was a business decision and not my concern. I have chosen to close this account and have copied the credit agencies. This bank is only interested in raising rates and charging penalties than taking care of long term customers. My credit rating is impacted negatively by the reduction in the available credit amount. No explanation is given by the bank that shows it was their business decision and does not reflect on my credit worthiness.

I received a notice from Home Depot credit cards service stating that my account was closed and not to use my card. Home Depot received the report from Equifax with an adverse report against me for nonpayment of a credit card issued to my son, with me as a courtesy cardholder. Direct Merchants Bank originally issued the card to him with me as a courtesy. He is the primary cardholder and the bills are issued in his name only. My son changed his address quite some time ago and does not reside at my address. He relocated temporarily for his health and the credit card company was notified of this change until further notice. The billing has not been received at my address in almost 2 or more years.

Why am I being damaged for an account that I never knew was delinquent and one that I am not the primary cardholder? I called Home Depot and they were most courteous. My credit card was immediately reinstated because I have an excellent payment history with all my accounts. Thank you Home Depot, which is one of Direct Merchants/HSBC's retail giants that they sponsor on one of their cover letters.

They arbitrarily lowered my credit amount that I am allowed to charge, because I wasn't charging enough. So, when I had a large charge, I sent in the

payment of $4750 in advance. Even though they had a credit balance of $3482.50 sitting there, they refused the charge because my allowance on charging was $3000. This is outrageous. They never paid me interest on my credit balance and refused my charges. They need to be sanctioned.

I have been asking for interest rate reduction for past year. I pay 28% on balance over $10,000. They acknowledged I have very good payment history and have this card approximately 10 years. I am self employed and my income has been inconsistent in past year. I asked to settle account but their payoff number is very high. I also suggested I make large payment $3000 to $4000 on balance and trade for a very low interest rate on balance and keep account open with this arrangement. They refused any and all interest rate reduction.The customer service people are not willing to any allowances and some of them have been rude and made remarks to me about my integrity and insults.

On May 4, 2009; I contacted Merchants Bank. I had intended on purchasing/charging new tires and wanted to know what interest rate the Company would be charging. With all that has happend with the economy, I wanted to know what I would be getting into. The first Call Center agent-Godfrey, told me that my credit card was closed. Closed?! Why? Due to lack of use since May 2008. By the way-it is May 4, 2009.

I asked why i was not notified. He said he was sorry, but due to lack of use, the card was closed. I repeated my question and he repeated his answer. Now I am angry. He offered to transfer me to another representative. I said, wait a minute. I have had this card since 1987 and have ALWAYS paid on time. Not only that, the expiration on my card shows January 2011. This is 2009! He repeated the same story and said that I would need to re open a new account. What?! Did he not hear what I just said.

I asked him, now. Why would i want to reapply? What incentive can this Company give me to retain me? He repeated the same story about my account was closed due to lack of use and i said, maybe you are not aware here. But the economy has been in the toilet. Yes, he said, i am aware. So why would i make charges on my card when I may not be able to pay? Isn't your Company required to NOTIFY people? He again said he could transfer me. i swear he read it off a sheet of paper!

He transfers me. I cannot understand the second person either, so I ask to speak to a Manager. She too, must have read off the same sheet of paper, because I went through my whole story, having great credit, closed for WHAT reason and she said i could apply again. She put me on hold and another person came to the phone, this time she spoke more fluent English. She said that i could re apply and POSSIBLY get a low interest rate. I had to take each letter and talk slowly so she knew the difference between the letter "S" as in Sam and "D" as in dog and then she still got my home address incorrect! She did what she referred to as a "soft credit check". ?? It would go to some Bank that I never heard of, use my checking account routing number as a security type thing, I had to pay 200 dollars AND there would be a 35 dollar a year fee! I hung up!

I had that credit card since 1987. Never missed a payment-late, but 98 percent of the time i was ON TIME. That is a long time to have ONE credit card! They closed my account, NO notification-does it matter if it is a Platinum card?! NO. HOW can they close me with NO notification? I will NEVER get a card with them or ANY company that deals with Call Center agents in India. They are wealthy because America sent all those jobs over there! After all these years with one Company, I have nothing to show for it. Nowadays the Companies want MORE than a 750 credit score. OK FINE. Then play with ME too! Without ME-it doesn't matter what my score is-nobody will charge a damn thing!

Direct Merchants Bankr Reduced my credit limit from 7000 to 3000 dollars without notice. When I called to find out why they did this all the customer service guy could tell me is because this would save them money and reduce their risk to bad debt. I explained to the guy that I paid my card on time every mnth and always paid the balance down in full and that there was no risk associated (FICO score over 790). The guy is a total idiot and refused to do anything therefore the account has been closed and they can hold on to all their customers that are willing to put up with this.

Direct Merchants Bank Company Profile