Find a Credit Cards partner

3. Credit Cards

3.8/5 (1940 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Top Capital One Reviews

Verified

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just...

Verified

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should cl...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I was very pleased with the availability of this card and how quickly it was approved. I found the process of getting it to be a little tedious. It was approved online, then I had to wait to get a letter through registered mail where I had to go to the post office and provide identification. After that I received the card and again had to wait for the pin to come in the mail. Finally I was able to activate it. Then I had to pay $59/annual fee! I understand the importance of keeping a step ahead of the thieves, but it took a really long time between the approval and the ability to use it! I think the fee is pretty high considering the lack of benefits, but it is a reestablishing credit type card, so I’m grateful for the opportunity.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Capital One seemed to be a good option to rebuild credit. However they always start you with a very low credit limit and the fees lower that even more. When it’s time to increase credit limits other companies are more generous with that increase and provide options many times over the year to increase. I don’t mind capital one as a company and their app is good quality but I feel they are very stingy with credit increases. Even when pre approval of other loans in their company. Been with them over a year and have a measly 500 limit while my other cards are well over 1k each.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I use the Quicksilver one and I get 1.5% cash back on ALL my purchases - so no having to remember different promotional periods. Since I get cash back on all purchases, I get cash back on things I pay for routinely such as regular bills. I use this card over my debit card so that I can get the most cash back possible on my every purchases. It's nice because I use this as my extra savings and use my cash back to apply towards my holiday shopping at the end of the year since there are no limits to what I can earn! In addition, the no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee is a bonus.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I appreciate Capital One for acknowledging me as a person and not just one of million of card holders. You know how it is when family can base your character on your past. I had a horrible year 2019, car accident, therapy, etc. so I had a difficult time keeping up with my payments, two out of 3 cards were restricted, including my precious biz card that I worked so hard for. I've had these accounts for approx 5 years or more in good standing prior to 2019. Different than a couple of my other card companies with the same history, same faithfulness, they didn't care, immediately sent my accounts to collections. My good score plummeted over 140 points to 540. Capital One did not leave me high and dry. I called in and the CSR told me my accounts were restricted. I had no idea what that meant, but after talking more with her, it was over, a done deal with the credit.

I asked for a Credit Manager and when I explained what occurred to me (she has no idea that the car accident and therapy was very small part of what I was dealing with as a single mom), she advocated on my behalf. I have no idea what department she was speaking with, but each step of the way while on the call she was considerate, returning to inform me that she was still on the call and continuing to attempt to get my cards reinstated. Finally after 30 minutes, it was all done, she did it!!!

My accounts were reinstated and I was in a position to pay down the balances that were at least $500 - $1k over their limits. I figured, heck if a company can do this for me, I have no problem giving what is owed to them, fees and all. I will forever be dedicated to Capital One and if I have nothing else in my wallet, it's OK. So now I am rebuilding my business, helping my daughter to return to college and pay my basic rent. THANK YOU CAPITAL ONE for being human..

Original review: June 27, 2020

I was lucky enough to call in to Capital One for assistance with questions and concerns regarding my pre-approval and I had the pleasure of working with a rep named Hema **. This representative went above and beyond to make sure that all of my questions were answered and that I was well taken care of. What could have been an extremely stressful process was made so easy and seamless that it truly made myself and my husband feel like we were being specially cared for. Not only did she do her job beyond expectations but she actually took interest in me, as a person, and she paid attention to our conversation as if I was a part of her family.

She waited patiently with me while I got my husband on the line, as he was working during our call and not able to come to the phone immediately, and she was fast and efficient so as to not take up too much of his time. I have NEVER in my life had such a memorable customer experience... to top it all off she even sent us a surprise gift to show just how much she CARED and paid attention (as the gift was relevant to our interaction - a picture frame for my husband and I who were recently married). It’s funny how people say “it’s the little things”... but it’s TRUE! Hema has set the bar extremely high for all of my future interactions with customer service reps... because she was just so exceptionally great. CAPITAL ONE, I hope you know you have one outstanding representative, take good care of her because she is definitely taking great care of your customers and because of her I will likely ALWAYS be a Capital One Customer!

Original review: May 8, 2021

There was an order for food made and quickly cancelled with the merchant. The merchant proceeded to charge my card after the order was cancelled. I called Capital One to dispute the first time. The representative said all take care of and credited. I was checking my account and noticed the charge reappeared on my account without any notification, call or letter. I called and the automated answering service does not work. Plain garbage. I was on the phone for 23 minutes to dispute an error. Completely unacceptable from Capital One. The charge should have never been added on. The order was cancelled and I was under the impression as my credit card and representative Capital One would be on my side. It looks like you're not. Paying off my balances and will use my other cards effective next month. No more business with Capital One.

Original review: May 6, 2021

Very Poor Customer Service. They do not value the customers and are only interested in their bottom line. I would not recommend using a Capital One card. Their customer service has extremely long wait times and they do not care about their customer satisfaction.

Original review: May 5, 2021

This was the worst banking experience I've ever had, and I've had some pretty bad ones. With Capital One, I started an account. It took weeks to get funds transferred in - failure after failure, and when all that finally got worked out, I couldn't use them for everything. They put a hold on the account and held my money hostage. I called night after night. They'd put me on hold and just leave me there, after transferring me from department to department. There's no other way to get ahold of them other than snail mail. The situation is currently ongoing. If you're going to bank with any organization, I highly encourage you to pick a neighborhood bank, and whatever you do, don't choose Capital One! Terrible service! Totally incompetent. My next report will be to the Attorney General of my state to just try to get my money back.

Original review: April 26, 2021

In this time of Corona Virus, I missed a payment. It is hard to keep up. I was given a fee which Capital One refused to waive. I have paid regularly and called to have this twenty five dollar late fee assessed. I was not given notice to my recollection of a late fee. I feel Capital One should exercise moral character during this economic hardship we find ourselves in. Truly saddened money is replacing morals for Capital one.

Resolution response: April 21, 2021

Talked to them today. Issue resolved.

Original review: April 20, 2021

This Company is gone downhill fast. Worst CSR's I have ever dealt with. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. They are not honest. You have to jump through hoops to get information. Rely on Menu Robo options.

Capital One Company Information