1.29/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

3856 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

When frauded by a company online and charged a lot of money for a product I never received, I called Capital One and they took off the charges and issued me a new card. But 2 weeks later they sent me a letter reinstating the charges because the company said I did receive it and I had signed a contract. I never signed anything and never received the product. I told Capital One this was a scam but they said they couldn't do anything else for me, so now I'm out 200 dollars. Don't count on Capital One to help you if you get frauded.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Let me begin by saying I am relatively new to the whole credit card world out there and my experience for some people might be like "It is no big deal". But I want a place to voice my opinion and hope that the experience I share will probably be of help to another novice like me. I was pre-approved for a CO credit card and decided to accept the offer. A couple of days later, I was asked to send my documents (Driver's License & SSN card) for verification. I sent the documents via Fax as suggested by one of their customer care representative for speedy processing. Nevertheless, I still mailed my documents as well just to be sure about it. I called CO to let them know that I Faxed my documents and wanted to know if they received it but the customer care representative told me someone has to update it on file and she is not sure if CO has received my documents. She asked me to wait for a few days and I patiently did.

Four days after sending my documents, my application was declined. I called CO and they told me that the Fax they received was too dark for them to verify my details and asked me to mail my documents. I told them I sent it the same day I faxed the documents and they asked me to follow up with them in a week. After 8 days, again, my application was declined. This time I was furious. I checked the details and this time they came up with a new attack mechanism - Couldn't verify your credit score. I know I don't have a credit score yet but why didn't CO check that before sending me a pre-approved Credit card? They claimed that I have a good credit history and so they are sending me a pre-approved credit card, but did they actually check my credit history? Because if they did, they would have realized I do not have a credit score yet. Ignorance of facts from Day 1 is all I can say about CO.

I called them numerous times and with incompetent representatives taking calls, it is nothing but hell to deal with CO. The supervisor refused to answer anything. I wanted to send a feedback about my experience to the upper management and guess what? You can't! You need to hold an account with CO to do so and for probably-will-become-customers like me who get duped and involved in the horrific mess CO has created, there is simply no place to voice your opinion! Hats off to this great bank for making me waste my time, money and energy to set things right!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I paid off in full 5 credit cards, over 12,000, and the following month charged me interest again. When I called them they told me I’m playing a game that I don’t know the rules to. I would not recommend this cards to anybody. Capital One will rip you off.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I am giving this credit card a one star review. I've had a Capital One Rewards credit card for over 15 years. I've never missed a payment, the credit score they give me on their own website is 831, yet they still charge me $19.00 year fee. I called to see if they could waive this as I have been a customer all these years and they refused. They offer the same credit card and other cards on their website for no fee. They even called me a few years ago telling me that the interest rate was going up and I said okay, and didn't give them a hard time like I'm sure other customers would do.

They will not work out a deal with established customers in good standing but they will offer credit cards with no fee to new customers!!! I told them that I would be transferring my auto pay bills to another credit card and I would be calling back to cancel my credit card. The young lady offered another credit card, but I DO NOT want another credit card from them, they should work with their long time customers that are paying their bills on time!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I recently moved to the Dallas area and needed to open a local bank account and the checking 360 account seemed like a good option. Several things happened which made me close my account after one month. First, because I recently moved I did not have direct deposit set up for work right away so I needed a bank account to access my first paycheck. I specifically asked if the funds would be available within two business days and the banker said "yes," but I was disappointed when it took 10 business days to access any of my deposit. The bank manager was apologetic about the miscommunication her team had given me but that's all she could offer.

Second, when I tried setting up external transfers I received an error message that Capital One could not verify my phone # and I had to call Capital One support. The rep was very nice but said due to a system glitch I was unable to set up any external account to my 360 account for money transfers. There was apparently nothing she could do.

On top of all this, I never received a debit card in the mail in order for debit transactions to be made. I waited three weeks before I started to get annoyed. I literally had no way to access the money put into my account for nearly a month! I went to close my account today and was told I had to withdraw all my money from the account in order to close it... I had no means to do so. I was also told upon closing that my debit card was supposed to arrive 2-3 business days after I had opened the account... but still no sign of a debit card. I was hoping this would have been a good company to take my banking to but it has been nothing but a headache and kept me from accessing money in that account. I am disappointing with my Capital One experience and will not be a returning customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

In my time of hardship Cindy was very kind and understanding and helped me more than she will ever know. I felt relief from my situation and she brought a smile to my face by the end of our conversation. Then did something remarkable about a week later that once again made me smile and changed my bad day into a good one. Thank you Cindy ** @ Capital One.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Been with them for two years. The promise they make about getting your security deposit back after you have established positive history is bull! They won’t release your funds until you close the account. They will not increase your credit limit even with a flawless history. They lie and customer service sucks.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

On June 30, 2017, Capital One sent us a letter asking for us to update my wife's street address as per government regulations. The letter said that we had until August 17, 2017 to reply or our MasterCard account would be closed. On July 5, 2017 we contacted Capital One at their 1-800-227-4825 number listed on the letter. We spoke with Randall, at 12:51 pm. We updated the street information on the card and Randall informed us that he would be sending out new credit cards to us within 4-6 days. The Cards were shipped out to us on July 15, 2017. Randall was an overseas operator and now no longer works for the company.

On October 21, 2017, we received a letter from Capital One stating that our account was closed because "We didn't receive the information we requested, and unfortunately, that resulted in your Capital One credit card being closed." Our account had been open since 2001. I called Capital One on October 21, 2017 and spoke with Elizabeth and informed her that we had provided the information requested to Capital One on July 5, 2017. She stated that it appeared that Capital One had made an error and she would make a request for review. Elizabeth was an overseas operator and now no longer works for Capital One.

On October 30, 2017, I spoke with Teresa. I told her what had happened and was asking if Elizabeth had followed through on my request that the cancellation of my card be reviewed and replaced with a new card and a new account. Teresa said she showed no record notes of my conversation with Elizabeth on October 21, 2017. Teresa said that she would review my information and call me back on October 31, 2017. On October 30, 2017, I wrote a letter to the President of Capital One, detailing their error.

On October 31, 2017, Teresa called me back and confirmed all of the information that I had provided and verified that I had indeed provided our street address on July 5, 2017, to Randall. She believed that our street address was improperly input into the computer in lower case letters instead of upper case letters. She acknowledged that it was Capital One's error and she would submit my request to have the account reviewed and reopened. She said she would contact me in 10 to 15 days.

Today is November 15, 2017, and Teresa did not call, so I called Capital One for an update. I was informed by Jannelle that Capital One could not confirm that I had contacted them on July 5, 2017, which was contrary to what Teresa had told me. I told Janelle, if she would check her records, she would discover that Capital One issued brand new cards to us on July 15, 2017, as a result of our contact with Randall, on July 5, 2017. Randall, told us that he updated my wife's street address information and he would be ordering new cards be sent to us in "4 to 6" days. Janelle checked the records and discovered that the new cards were issued on July 15, 2017.

I discussed with Jannelle how a credit card company erroneously cancelling a credit card can negatively impact one's credit score. I also told her that what she was telling me was contradicted by other employees. She replied that once the credit card account is closed, as per federal regulations, the account could not be reopened. She said, "We can't do anything for you." So there you have it. Capital One Bank, in my opinion, is the most disorganized, poor record keeping, incompetent banking institution that I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I have never in my life received such poor, apathetic, customer service. I'm still waiting to hear from the President of Capital One. Invest in Capital One? Not a chance. I told Janelle that.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Made one late payment and they reported me to the credit bureau. Been a good customer for 10 years, made one late payment back in 2014. Have made contact with Capital One and asked them to remove this from my credit report. They said NO! Pretty childish over one late payment in 10 years! So this is the thanks I get for being a good customer? I cut my card up into the shape of a suppository so you know exactly where to stick it when I send it back! Thanks for nothing!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I signed up for a Capital One card to boost my credit, they gave me a $200 limit. My credit card was hacked at a gas station and when I reported the issue I was issued a new card. My credit score dropped almost 50 points, I contacted Capital One and they told me my credit is being ruined due to reporting fraud on the account. This is not what I expected from such an established company. Very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I've had Capital One for a little over a year now. I have a limit of $300 and make monthly payments of $25. Nothing I can't handle. Well, I am in Florida and was in the direct path of Hurricane Irma. My kitchen flooded, power was out for a few days, fence almost went through the window but thankfully it was boarded. Capital One offered financial help. They gave me $100 in credit and took $50 off of my total. They did the same for my sister. I had the money in my account for a few days, about a week- when I bought a pot/pan set since our kitchen suffered quite a bit of damage.

After another couple of days/week- I see that I've been charged $100. I called and they explained that they meant to give me only $50. So they screwed up and I had to pay back $100 that I didn't have. They would not fix it. Fine. So I've been paying it back, four months to fix their mistake. I've finally gone back under my $300 limit and now I've been charged a member fee for $40. So I am over my limit once again. They made a mistake and now I am constantly in debt.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Lost my job. Bills piled up. Cancelled my credit card with CO due to their hidden fees. Was with them for about 6-7 months. Told them I would only make a payment as much as I can every month. Made 2 payments past 2 months $58 and $25 and still add more fees! Damn crooks, debit cards are better. You don't have to worry about paying back. Put some money aside for ERS. That's it.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I applied for my MC, got my credit line, and got an increase the following year. Everything seemed fine. Throughout that second year, I made purchases almost every month, but paid everything off (not the entire balance, but something like this: (example) buy $20 shoes, pay them $50 more than the minimum; spend $45 on we, pay them back the minimum plus $150 more. And yet, every month, the minimum due would increase until it was $59 every month JUST to keep my credit afloat, along with an "interest charge: purchases" of almost $40. Even though I always paid back for my purchases??

For the past three months, I have not used the credit card AT ALL, and have paid the minimum bill. In spite of that, Capital one continues to charge me nearly $40 (same amount as before) with the charge titled "Interest charge: purchases" even though I have not used the card for 3 months? So they are charging me nearly $60 every month as a minimum, PLUS taking away nearly $40 off of that minimum so that they can fatten their filthy rich bellies while my balance never goes down because all of my hard-earned money is sucked away by their ridiculous interest!! Even when I gave them $150 more than that minimum, they STILL charge me the same (if not more) interest!! Pathetic!! Do NOT get a card from them unless you want to give away your money for free (and for years!)!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have had my identity stole with Capital One only. I have not had issues with any other company. In 2012 it first happened. They replaced the card. Then again in 2015 and again in November 2016. I have had to file police reports, put pins on my account, Filed for a 1 year stop with each credit company to ensure nothing opens, and pay for identity alert. However Capital One continues to allow for inquiries and accounts to be opened. As recent as today 11/10/17... Police report #** (borough of Sayreville Police Department).

They are the ONLY company that continues to impact my credit and identity. I have called spoken to upwards of 12 people and spent over 250 hours on the phone with the company being bounced to more people. Today when I called, they told me my call is being recorded but will not speak with me if I do the same to them yet it is my credit and my identity. Capital One has NO control over your identity and ensuring only you are the one that is applying and using!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

WORST company I have ever dealt with. I went abroad as a student for 4 mos. and every couple of days Capital One found a reason to place my account on HOLD. I paid my bill a couple times a month which I was told is a problem. I paid the balance from a couple different bank accounts. I was told this was a problem. I made too large of a payment. I was told this is a problem. AND, It takes 6 DAYS from the time I pay the balance until the time it posts to the account. SIX DAYS - are you kidding me? DO NOT RECOMMEND CAPITAL ONE at all.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

This is the worst company to ever get credit with. I made some purchases and I made a cash advance. I could not believe that barely a fifth of my payment was going towards my principal. I inquired why is this and they explained that I'm paying 2 separate interest rates for 2 separate balances for one credit card. They were charging me extreme interest rate for my purchases and another interest rate for my advanced cash. That's ridiculous. I decided to pay the $4100 balance off and a month later they sent me a bill for closing interest rate charges indicating that even though I paid off my balance and closed my account, I had 3 weeks of interest rates that continued to accumulate and I was responsible for. What a dang fool I was to initially ** with this capitalistic mafia greed money laundering scam company. Please do not let this company screw you with their degrading inhumane tactics. BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was attempting to purchase an appliance online when my purchase was flagged as fraud and my card denied. When I called, they insisted on speaking to my husband and going through security questions and steps before allowing the purchase.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I was approved for a credit card soon after Hurricane Harvey, which I was extremely affected considering I live in Houston. The money was well needed. I strive to always pay any loans/credit on time. I signed up for auto pay 4 days before my payment due date, to ensure I did not forget. I did not pay ahead of time because I was waiting to get paid again the Thursday before my due date.

Well, Monday came and I notice my account balance was higher than what it should be. The auto-pay did not take out the money which I authorized ahead of time. I sat on the phone with customer service and they assured me there was nothing they could do even though they could see that it was an innocent error. I counted on their system to take my money on time and instead they punished me and added an additional fee. Mind you this was 2 days after my payment was due, I called to ask why they didn't take my money, it’s not like I was trying to avoid paying. Nevertheless, I cancelled my card and I'll never use them again and will pay them off when I feel like it. Until then... screw you Capital One. Astros won the World Series anyways! Go Stros!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Booked my travel using points to Mexico for Feb 2018. Mind you this is my first time using services. Issues with website. Website booked for wrong date home. Called Oct 26 and spoke to Sam with promise a callback with 3 business days and no return call. November 6th and no callback from Sam or any rep. Called back today. Transferred 5 times repeating myself 5 times and states can't help me. I paid over 15k to them prior to purchase and telling me I have to pay 200 per ticket to change.

I have been a loyal customer, pay on time and have promoted them to several people. I was told I can't bill Capital One for flight transfer. I get if it was a trip more recent but we are talking Feb which is 3 months away. They told me IT showed no issues. So is this a he said she said? What happened to customer service. Today I requested another manager to call me as this service is unacceptable. Capital One I think can afford to waive this as it was an issue on their end no matter what IT states to keep customers happy. I have never called to complain about their services but this is insane.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Good Morning - Last month I contacted Capital One to pay off my entire balance in full. Last week I received statements to pay 49.18 and 27.80 of interest accrued on the account. I spoke with a representative from their organization and was not informed that I would continue to received interest after paying them $2858.60 ($49.18) and $3798.77 ($27.80). I contacted their office today and spoke with a supervisor and he advised me he was unable to waive the fees and he apologizes for me being provided the incorrect pay off balance. I asked to speak with a manager or administrator and he disconnected the call. I worked hard to pay off the balances and I am not happy with their customer service. I ask to speak with someone and was disconnect. I have been in Customer Service for over 30 years and I strongly recommend their operations be reviewed and evaluated.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I wanted to pay my 13000 bill off today and asked to have their outrageous interest rate waived and got ZERO help! I was NEVER late with payments and been with Capital One for 3 years!!! I will definitely close my account with them!!!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I was thrilled when Capital One accepted me as a customer for credit. Today I am absolutely heartbroken. After a returned payment 2 of my accounts, they closed my accounts. I made the payments on the accounts when I found out what had happened. I am embarrassed and heartbroken. I would NOT recommend opening any credit lines with them unless you are a perfect paying customer. It is not worth the damage to your credit.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Over a month ago I discovered I had dropped my MC card in Costco. No one turned it in so I called to stop the card and order ordered a replacement card. After 45 minute wait I was put through hoops for ID because I didn't have the card number and then told they would have to talk to my husband because he was the main cardholder! We asked it be expedited, was told it would be rushed. One month later it had still not arrived. We called customer service and were on hold for 20 minutes. The rep finally came on and said there had been an error AND mailing delay and tried to connect me with a supervisor. Another 20 minutes later still no supervisor - I was very angry by that time but the poor guy kept checking back and was doing his best. Another 10 minutes till one came on.

He was very sorry but my card must be lost in the mail. He couldn't expedite one to me because they had a new system and there was no option working on it for expediting. He had to cancel this new missing card and I would have to wait at least 10 days for another! If it ever gets here. What a gong show! PLUS we went to pay our statement on the 17th of the month, the regular due date, and discovered Capital One had suddenly changed the date to the 14th! The day before most people get paid! Such a dirty way to do business. They make Costco look bad just for retaining such a sleazy associate, especially in such difficult economic times for the average family.

Financial banking predators are raking in obscene amounts of profit - while giving nothing back but bare bones. Licked clean of everything they can hold back. Wait times are atrocious, service unreliable to say the least, and too cheap to offer express card delivery options. Save the excuses. It's the only thing they are really good at. Costco needs to find a new partner for credit cards. This one scrapes bottom and that takes some doing.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

In 2009, I paid off Capital One Bank. I have copies of a check that they paid on a closed and transferred account. They took me to court in 2011 and I showed them the cashed checks and police report of a credit scam that I was involved in. I also had an attorney. I wasted 2 years going in a big circle in court. It is a racket to find attorney ** put a judgement on me behind my back. Which he is no longer in business. Now, in 2017 my wages are garnished by a unethical and criminal activity. Do not get trapped in white collar crime. I do not recommend Capital One and I was traumatized by the court system.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

As I write this I’m on hold with Capital One. I have been on the phone an average of 3 hours and 30 minutes pertaining to an offer I was given. I had fallen into delinquency due to unemployment and had recently reached out to Capital One in order to make a payment and find out about relinquishing the restriction on my account. A woman with a thick Spanish accent had said that I am in luck and she had an offer for me that I would not be able to refuse. She continued to give me a disclaimer saying that this was a program that not everyone received and if I had met my minimum payment by a date we had set I would have my credit card restored.

The following Monday which was the date I was set to pay I spoke to another representative who confirmed the same thing. 7 days after making the payment I have called to ask if the status of my credit card was available. I was informed by every representative that there was no record of an offer ever being made. I asked to speak to a supervisor but to no avail. I’m still waiting which now brings my total wait time to 4 hours. Are these people running a scam? This is a terrible way to treat someone who just spent 203.00 to bring an account current. After such an unfortunate experience be very careful! They will take your money as quickly as possible and then cut as if they never spoke to you! SCAM!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I made a payment the month of this complaint, I'm $500 under my credit limit, but due to the timing of when the last payment was made and when the next was due, my account gets locked. They don't tell me it is. I travel to another state, went to eat for 14 bucks, tried paying with my credit card that isn't capped and can't. I'm on the phone with them for 1 hour and 46 minutes now and STILL on the phone, and still haven't spoken to a manager about this problem. I only spoke to the customer service representative by the name of Tasha, who found a million reasons for why she is sorry, meanwhile, the restaurant still hasn't been paid yet. That, some really, really bad service. 1 hour, and 46 minutes... and they can't fix a $14 bucks worth of a problem.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

After being a customer of Capital One for 5 years I lost my card and my card was used for fraudulent transactions and they refused to refund the money claiming that I was involved in this fraud activity, really what kind of customer service is this? In addition they never offer credit limit increases though I pay my balance in full every single month. My advice to you never apply for it, it's a big headache.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Lying, manipulative, and unreliable. I was manipulated into believing I was applying for something I wasn't. Called multiple times per day to assure the reps to not ship out card unless matter was corrected. Was told every time they would make a note of concern and take care of the matter. Woke up today to email that card was being shipped against my wishes without resolving the problem. Top 2 worst companies I have ever dealt with. Stay clear, save yourself the trouble. Go with Discover, Chase, or any other company except Capital One.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

After 10 years with Capital One, and excellent credit, I learned today that CO doesn't upgrade to other cards! Have to submit new application! TERRIBLE company. BAD BAD BAD deal. Look for another company! AmEx has excellent customer service!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

Deny a increase because I have too much credit not use. If I use too much then they tell me I overuse my credit. Damn if you do damn if you don’t. Never call me back. Waiting 5 days had to call them 5 times find out what’s up. Customer service sucks bad.

Capital One expert review by Beverly Harzog

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.

• Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.

• Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.

• Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.

• Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.

• Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.

• Best for: Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Capital One Company Information