1.21/5
Based on 346 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Capital One

We're on a mission for our customers—bringing them great products, rewards and service. We're here to listen and to help!

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

3962 Capital One Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

The new Capital One website simply doesn't work. It will only let me log in occasionally - otherwise it's "sorry, something went wrong". It's been this way for months. What's the point of a credit card company that can't run a website?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I have had a Capital One card for years. My 360 account links to it. I noticed an issue. Called Capital One. They said, “the problem is you have not activated your new card.” I said, “I did not receive one.” They said, “we will mail you a new one.” The evening it arrived I went to activate it and it said closed. I called Capital One. They said, “we see the record of the call but your card closed the evening it was sent. We can not reopen it per our new system.” I have worked for a financial institution for years and know there is a workaround if they wanted to accommodate me as a customer. They don’t want to. Hence the rating of one star. This is an older card and for credit reasons I would prefer it not be closed. The company is not willing to work with you. I can see if I had been a previously poor customer, but I guess I did not make them enough money in fees or interest for me to remain a customer.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I placed an order online and thought everything was ok, so when two weeks went by I called the merchant I bought the product from, they informed me that it was canceled due to credit card rejection. So I call Capital One and they say, "you haven't activated your card." I say, "I just used it on Amazon and it went through, my card has an expiration of 3/21." This Indian guy just kept saying, "You need to activate!" So I ask for a supervisor and she's a douche, I said, "Cancel the account," she said, "Why?" "Because you denied a charge and never notified me." By the way I have a credit line of 10 thousand with a zero balance. They suck!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I set my card up to make the minimum payment of $35.00. Apparently my minimum payment changes at their discretion. They tried to go through a long drawn explanation as to why my payment but the bottom line is for no apparent reason my payment changed from 35 to 36.00. They slapped a $40.00 late fee for being $1.00 off on for the first month which led to fees totaling 160 00 because the first fee drove the payment up even more. When I called them they refused to do anything. What really bothers me if there is no reason the minimum payment went up my current balance is only $50.00 less then the balance that drove my minimum payment up and the payment is 35.00. Previous balances with 35.00 payment were higher than the balance that triggered the fee. They buried something in the terms and conditions that allows them to be you.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Capital One has decided to stop the ING rate renewal program. They supposedly sent out letters last January. I never received that letter. They are now screwing me on my mortgage. Turn and run from Capital One. They are making up the new rates in house. They are not going off the LIBOR like ING bank did. Turn and run from these criminals on all accounts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Stay far away... I did a balance transfer from Capital One. They sent the check for the transfer to the wrong address and after 2 months telling me there is nothing else they can do - Really? I've been a customer for years and there's nothing else you can do? Meanwhile, I am out quite a bit of money. Don't use them for anything - especially a balance transfer (that they still keep sending me offers for as well!)

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I was put on hold 6 times at 15 minute intervals calling conclusively today, 1 right after the other??? I don't know how the people got to speak to managers??? The place has had my security deposit since January 29th 2018 and I've had like 11 pieces of mail from them but still no card??? No one seems to know what's up as I've been told 3 different dates my card has been mailed to me but it has yet to be mailed and I just want to know why???

Hahaha! I HONESTLY cannot get an answer. I keep getting told there is a process. Well I have been sent 2 of each things like verify my ID and everything so it shows they aren't very competent. I just wanted to use their services but I'd just be happy to get my security back and I'll go get a different card?? This is a joke. Took my kids mother about 11 days in total from the day she applied and she had her card. It's been 3 weeks with me and my info seems to be misplaced or something?? They use overseas customer service. Who clearly just put me on hold 6 times in a row to NOTHING so it's a clear sign they are a tad shady. Yeah let's let them know all our credit info!!!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I am in an experience where Capital One put my payments into someone else's acct. They then restricted my acct due to non-payment. When the situation was fixed (months and months later) the acct was never unrestricted. I had to get my credit fixed as well due to this mistake made on Capital One's end (which never really got restored where it was due to Capital One's mistake). I was told they would unrestrict my acct, but even after speaking with someone today, they will not unrestrict it due to the nonpayment that was on the acct (which was their mistake). So, now the money in the rewards bank... I cannot get to because of the restriction. I had a big issue years ago with Capital One again, and aside from my better judgment, I gave the company another chance. Bad decision. All they do is take your money, ruin your credit, and tell you there is nothing that can be done.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Every time I try to use the card it was refused! Saying fraudulent charges. Sent me through a 3-hour long process to prove who I was and then still refused transaction! Customer services are the worst I have ever experienced! Please understand people! Stay away from Capital One!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

DO NOT USE CAPITAL ONE! They Flipping Suck!! I am beyond infuriated with my first experience trying to redeem my reward points. I tried last night to book a trip with my available rewards and kept getting an error message to call their support number. I decided to circle back around this morning thinking the system would be fine.

I tried again this morning, the flights were still available with same pricing and the car rental fee went down. Of course, when I go to submit my reservation I get the same error as I did last night. When I called the support number they proceeded to tell me that I needed to pay a $50 booking fee... WHAT? Keep in mind that during all this, the flights were available at the same price as last night except for the rental car going down in price by $30 (in most cases this is exciting news, right?). Nope, not with Capital One!

As I am on the phone with Capital One I explain my frustration then voice my complaint. I was then transferred to the rewards department where they told me that they need to transfer me back to the department I was just talking to. So, I get another incompetent representative on the phone who is telling me that the flight is no longer available. Well that is funny because I am looking at the flight on multiple sites! Clearly, it is still available and it is still available. After literally multiple hours of dealing with this ** the flights and rental car with my rewards went from $83 out of pocket to over $300 out of pocket. I am beyond pissed! Capital One is a joke! I will not recommend them to anyone. You get pure runaround and no service! I will be changing to a Southwest Card where I know I will be taken care! Screw you Capital One! Jennifer Garner, you’re a doll but Capital One Sucks! Do not use Capital One, stick with Southwest!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Closed my account with no explanation and spoke to me very rudely when I rang to ask why. Used them for over 2 years paid on time stayed within my limit and this is how I get treated? Customer services and complaints team were absolutely awful. Woman basically said, "I’m getting bored of repeating myself. The account is closed and I don’t have to explain why." Considering this is now going to have a huge impact on my credit score which I have worked so hard to get good to get a Mortgage. I have emailed their CEO but would advise anyone to not take a credit card with this company.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Beware Capital One’s card customer service and fine print. They are happier to lose a customer than to try to make a customer happy. Also be careful to note that payments after a certain time on your due date (I won’t say the time here in case it were to change or be different for someone potentially reading this post) are still considered late and assessed a late fee. So having a mobile app to pay 24/7 really isn’t that helpful when you go to pay the evening of your due date and find that your payment is already late. So much for 24/7 convenience. If you have to call customer service, they aren’t going to try to keep you either. They’ll be happy to close your account and move on to the next person who doesn’t mind being treated poorly. Needless to say my card is closed now. Save your time and get a card from someone who lets you pay on your due date and values you as a customer. It’s not Capital One.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have been with Capital One bank for 4 years and would like them to know how much I appreciate their service. Each and every time I call I get the same customer service on my good and bad days! Most of the time you have a verity of customer service actions. Capital One makes sure that anything you need and I mean anything from Balance questions, concern transactions, credit update, credit increases they will help you 24/7. There has never been a time I couldn’t call. They don’t charge you extra fees to pay your bill. They just simply want to help you and if they can’t they surely will get you to someone that will. Thanks Capital One Credit card!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I had logged on to my account just the other day and had noticed a charge of 2.63. I then looked at it further to discover it was an interest charge??? Are you really kidding me at this point. I have spent an exorbitant amount of money with these people and only to be charged exorbitant amount of charge of interest during the months?? This really is a hard slap to the face. Yes, obviously I can pay this insulting charge but it’s the principle behind it.

I called Capital One customer service but she was very blase with her reactions and response and informed her that American Express just increased my credit limit to 10000. I am NOT looking for a credit limit increase because it means nothing to me but the way this whole entire matter was handled. I had told the agent that I’ll be doing no more business with AMEX and just not bother with them anymore but she just left it like that so I guess Capital One will Be sitting is in the back burner for some time to come until I decide to cancel them. Hey Capital One!! Great Job.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

How many others were promised a flat 9% rate after the 12 month introductory period. I received a call from a listed Capital One number that had all my personal account information and told me after I paid the account down to a zero balance at 11 months, that if I kept the account open they would set it at 9%. So the next month I took my daughter to Disney World for vacation to only find out after getting the next bill in the mail it wasn't 9% but 29%.

Now being a electrician that has helped set up servers with companies I asked them for IT support because I still had the call in my phone history only to be ran around and getting a supervisor saying they have never offered anything like that. Not even looking into the time/date/stamp of the conversation. The company is nothing but lies. 1.5 years and multiple calls and now turned over to a collection attorney. I guess it's either fight it or pay double for their late fees. Never will do business with any affiliate of Capital One or their sub-companies in India.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

On December 28, 2017, I submitted a payment for $923.09. This was the total amount due at that time. On December 29 2017, I had surgery on the cervical portion of my spine. On January 3, 2018, I received notice from Capital One that my payment had been returned. When asked why, they stated that I input the checking account number wrong and that is why my bank refused it. I have spent over seven hours of my time in the last five weeks, which included two trips to my bank, a conference call while at the bank and multiple calls to Capital One from home.

First I was told that the information needed to clear their system and it would take 3-4 days, then it was more phone calls and 8-10 days and now it's 12 days and I still can't pay my bill. I paid the bill out of my business account last month. My bill is due on the 14th and it looks like I will have to pay with my business account again. I am supposed to be recovering to go back to work. If I make a mistake, I am penalized with fees and increased interest. What are my seven hours worth? The original statement from Capital One doesn't even make sense. How did they shut down the right account if I input the wrong numbers?

The bottom line is, you will not get any real customer service while a company is protecting where they stand with their format and procedures even if it is wrong and hurts a person. I would also like to note that I kept my composure through all of this and can understand how Capital One can manipulate those who don't. In short, I think that Capital One is suspect in many ways for how they do business. Why won't the rating section allow me to give them less than one star? They don't deserve even one.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I originally wrote a review back on 12/9/17 stating I disputed a charge that was inaccurately described on eBay. I opened up a claim on both eBay and Capital One which eBay made a judgment in my favor but explained that nothing could be done about shipment charges due to the fact that capital one was in the process disputing it with PayPal. I called and asked for assistance from capital one and was told to keep the merchandise on hand even though eBay said I could return it because they were disputing it, well time passed and capital one reapplied the charges and basically said, "Oh well we didn’t tell you that" even after I supplied all the documentation that judgment from eBay was in my favor.

Then on 12/11/17 said how they again reversed the transaction which I thought was the last of it until... Fast forward to 02/01/18 I received a call from another brick of their company looking into this again. Which now no 02/08/18 the charges have been reapplied. I hope this makes it to as many people as possible as this is the worst company to do business with. With a simple search and accordance to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Capital One is consistently rated amongst the worst since the bureau opened its doors. I highly recommend everyone to stay away from this company as they are only looking to rip you off which sounds a lot like your everyday thief.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

If you're looking for help to re-establish your credit, I wouldn't suggest this company. This company has been a nightmare for me. I've seen some unorganized, contrary people before, but these people take the cake. I paid my accounts on time every single time and suddenly I get locked out of my accounts and can't get back in. Not even to make a payment. Due to what they say was a "fraud alert". I have no idea what happened but I'm glad I paid both of my accounts off. I'm just saying. As long as it was working it was fine but when this happens, you can pretty much kiss your card goodbye because no matter whether you're paying on it or not, once they do this, there seems to be no way out. Too many foreigners to talk to. Too many people that don't seem to know what they're doing.

It sure didn't help my credit I can tell you that much. Thankfully I have other cards and credit and my score was decent or this could have been disastrous for my credit. I see many other people are having the same problems. Do what you want, but personally I won't ever deal with them again. I think maybe they're going bankrupt themselves or something and now they're shutting down what they consider to be "Risky" accounts. I don't know why they chose me to hit on because my credit score is good and I don't have any late payments but for whatever reason they did this to me, I won't recommend them. It's just wrong the way they handle business.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I called Customer Service. I spoke with rep name BEN. He was very rude, I ask him why they are increasing my minimum payment every month, they should leave it in one flat rate at least for few month. No increasing every month. Then Ben came rudely way telling me that I should not use my credit card. If I cannot make my minimum payment. I also ask him that if I make the same payment I did last month, his answer was "you will receive a late fee for not making your minimum payment".

That's not the way you talk to customer. They should coach him and teach him on how to talk to customer. If not it seem that he not happy what he is doing, are other people looking for job that best treat people in customer service. I also talk to Ms. ** supposed to be his Supervisor. She try to only lower my interest rate for 6 month. That funny. :) People like me that wanted to pay a letting them know that want to make the same payment every month. They doesn't try to help customer at all. I will not recommend this credit card at all to no one.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have been a Capital One customer for over 20 years. Recently they changed their website making it impossible to get in to make a payment. I tried several times and have been locked out 4 months in a row. I have never missed a payment in 20 years. But due to the new website I was unable to make a payment in December. I tried to call customer service and was put on hold forever. Finally I had to hang up for work and decided to try again later. NO ONE ever contacted me regarding this payment until the next month. Only by this time they dinged my credit report.

Once again for the 4th time I am locked out and it took half an hour to get any help. Regardless of the lack of a courtesy call, their website locking me out and my 20 year standing they refused to reverse the credit report hit stating I just didn't make a payment. Hard to do when locked out and unable to get a hold of someone from their customer service team. I will be paying off my two cards and will NEVER use Capital One again. Other companies at least make a courtesy call prior to sending a report to the credit agencies. And all I got from their representative as well as their manager was a big fat, "Too bad. So sad. We won't help you."

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Just plastic not a real credit card, so cannot be activated, with unnatural reason done not by other credit card, I think just to lying to the user only. It was asked to driver licensed uploads on the link they sent, but when I uploaded 40 minutes did not look finished or stak. Then I reduced 50% also the same result. Last I reduced to only 25% about 17 kb also not clear finished or not. 7 days I call him he say the document not clear. There I am angry, I better throw this card.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

The only reason I am not giving this a one star review is because of Tristy in the Military Hotline Dept. She was so amazing and was on the phone with us for over 20 minutes trying to help my husband out. She even had our back when other representatives (Duncan from Auto Financing... yeah, we're onto you buddy) were completely rude and made us feel like they couldn't be bothered with us. We were transferred over 10 times, back and forth between the same departments. Tristy thanked my husband several times for his service to our country and was persistent in getting us the proper help. Tristy, you're amazing and deserve a raise! Thank you for treating us like humans beings.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Capital One Bank is the biggest bunch of crooks I've ever encountered. One of their ATMs took our cash and did not deposit it back on December 4th. I immediately called and started a claim while still standing in front of the ATM. Gave them all detailed information... they denied our claim saying they did not detect a problem with the ATM. I told them they needed to reopen the claim because it's easy to verify seeing as the ATM has a camera and so does the Target the ATM was located at.

Now they're saying the ATM doesn't even exist and basically trying to call me a liar and saying they do thorough investigating!!! All they would have to do is walk into the Target and see that it's right there, this is not a 3rd party ATM this is a Capital One full service ATM!!! The customer service reps are absolutely horrible and have insinuated more than once that I am lying. I have been with this bank for 10+yrs and am appalled that they would pull something like this. I am still waiting for them to complete the second investigation but seeing as they are now claiming that the ATM doesn't even exist I am sure they will deny it as well. If they do this they are essentially stealing our money.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Their customer service is the absolute worst. I called because I paid my balance in full however to my surprise they said I had a remaining balance - interest for the previous balance that I paid in full. The agent told me there were "no new waivers" that she could offer me and that I was responsible for paying the interest. Spoke to her "supervisor" whom gave me the same song and dance. Neither of which could speak proper English or sounded intelligent in any way - they must have been reading from the screen. I received a customer service survey that when I clicked on was "expired". Shady company that preys on their customers, what a shame.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Being a young adult, not a lot of Credit Card companies would accept me. Young naive me sent one in for Capital One, I was accepted. Me and my father read through everything before opening my account, everything looked fine, the interest didn't look that bad. I of course used it for books and stuff for college, buy now, pay later when I had the money. Fast forward a year and here I am, now in shock as I finally do the calculations. I have to pay a certain min amount each month, a little more if I feel like I'm doing good that month, and behold as I slowly come to realize for every min amount I put in, their interest is so high, it's about half of that min payment that is put back on once the interest hits every month. Yes, EVERY MONTH THEY CHARGE ME HALF OF WHAT I PUT IN.

I do not touch this card anymore in fear of this tactic. You spend $200? Stick to the min payments and in the end you will be paying them $400+. I'm still a struggling College student so all I can afford is the min payment right now, so seeing this send me into so much grief. I honestly wish I had never signed up with them and just stuck to my main bank. Need a good recommendation bank? Go to Wells Fargo. They work with young people and those struggling, they have done so much more for me than those scumbags.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

When you send over six thousand dollars they should not keep telling you that you owe them 98 dollars! These people are not worth it. Go to another credit card company and stay away from Capital One. I have this idiot computer message saying I owe them money and need to contact them. I paid these losers in full and they are still charging me for nothing. There are much better credit card companies out there - use them instead of Capital One and their 98 dollars!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Capital One Bank has one of the worst customer services. They keep you on hold over 45 minutes each time I call. I have to explain the nature of my problem each time with the different agent. They do not want me to speak to the same person. They don't follow up or inform you the status of their investigation. I had to go to the office of the President before anything was done. Even then, I had to do my investigation to walk them through the process. They never apologized for their mishandling nor accommodate me for their mistake. Truly disappointed and disgusted with the culture of this company from top down.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

Reading some of the other reviews it seems to be a pattern of Capital One for charging high interest, not wanting to lower an interest rate, ever since I opened my account, I paid on time, paid more than the minimum due and never went over the set credit limit but those money hungry greedy and rude snobbish representatives this includes supervisors and executive relations team are not willing to work with ANY of their CUSTOMERS as my account is now CLOSED but carries a balance I am simply striving to pay it down.

The Capital One website also is pathetic and ridiculous. When you enter your username and password it just takes forever for the account page to load then once it does all you ever get is a pop up message saying, "Sorry. We seem to hit a snag but we are working on it." Well they have a mountain of things to work on but for me with their stupid slogan, What's in your wallet, I know what isn't in my wallet!!

I HATE Capital One. They don't care about having US as their CUSTOMERS. If they did they would work with US by having better representatives who speak ENGLISH and are based here in the USA instead of overseas, willing to offer their customers a lower ongoing interest rate, and a decent WEBSITE but NO. All they see is a $ sign to take ADVANTAGE of EVERY customer they acquire!!!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Although this is a new account I have paid all my charges in full before my statement and Capital One still holds my payments for 5 business days. Although they get my money by the next day. And when you call I feel I should not have to do a bank verifying call when they have gotten my money. MY banking and what's on my account is my business as long as I have not had one payment to be reversed. I'm only using this card to build my credit and once that's done I plan to close my account in good standing. No card should be able to hold your money when they take it so freely.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

My experience with Capital One was horrible. Their dispute department is a joke. I had a mechanic shop rip me off and Capital One did not stand behind me. Discover card and Barclays both ruled in my favor. Capital One come up with a lame excuse for the simple fact they knew they had a better chance of getting the money from me than the corrupt that rip me off.

Capital One expert review by Beverly Harzog

Capital One, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the most recognized brands in America. It is one of the nation's top 10 largest banks and has locations primarily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.

• Travel rewards: Capital One offers great rewards on flights that can be redeemed anytime, with no blackout dates. Use miles for tickets, hotels, rentals and more.

• Credit builders: Capital One has a specialty in helping customers establish or rebuild their credit with credit cards targeted to those with fair or poor credit.

• Secured credit card: This is one of the most popular secured cards on the market. Capital One sometimes offers a cardholder a partially-secured card, which means that the customer gets a credit limit that’s higher than the deposit.

• Cash back: A few of Capital One's cards offer unlimited cash back on every purchase, and this feature is available on both consumer and business cards.

• Spark-branded small business credit cards: There are rewards cards for cash back and airline miles. Capital One also offers corporate credit cards.

• Clear and concise website: This company does a good job being transparent and explaining the rates, fees and rewards for its credit cards.

• Best for: Consumers and business owners who have good-to-excellent credit who want a rewards credit card. Also, consumers who need to build credit or repair bad credit. They also offer commercial corporate cards.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Capital One Company Information

www.capitalone.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use