Find a Credit Cards partner

Help me decide

1.2/5 (104 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One

Capital One has credit cards to help you earn points to use towards major purchases, including travel. Read reviews for Capital One Venture to learn about travel rewards.

Pros

• Mobile app with tracking tools
  • Relatively low fees and good interest rates
  • No opening balance requirement for checking accounts

Cons

• Limited branch locations
  • Opt-in overdraft charges

Bottom Line

Capital One offers banking services with an extensive network of no-fee ATMs and mobile tools to help manage your accounts. Capital One could be a good fit for you if you live in an area with access to branch locations and pay attention to overdraft charges.

Top Capital One Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I can honestly [say] I have not had a bad experience with Capital One. From their bank services to their credit card, they have been a wonderful partner for me... I know they just...

Verified

Their rates are good plus their bonus when offered. Help is very good... I like them. Interest is paid monthly, and you always have full access to your funds even if you should cl...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Compare the best Capital One credit cards

Capital One issues personal and small business credit cards that earn rewards and come with other perks and benefits, including 0% introductory APR periods and fraud liability protection.

capital one venture rewardsRecommended Credit:
Best for travel rewards
VentureOne Rewards
  • 20,000 bonus miles after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one quicksilver cash rewardRecommended Credit:
Best for 0% intro APR
Quicksilver Cash Rewards
  • $200 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
  • $0 annual fee
capital one savor rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Best for bonus categories
SavorOne Cash Rewards
  • $150 bonus after spending $500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark cashRecommended Credit:
Good, Excellent
Best business card for rewards
Spark Cash
  • $500 bonus after spending $4,500 in first 3 months*
capital one spark milesRecommended Credit:
Best for business travel
Spark Miles
  • 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 in first 3 months.*

*See terms and conditions

About Capital One checking and savings accounts

Customers can open Capital One checking and savings accounts with no minimum deposit. Through 360 Checking, Capital One account holders can pay bills, get cash, make deposits and transfer money without paying fees. The company provides full-service online banking with a wide network of ATMs and has more than 900 physical branch locations in the United States.

Capital One FAQ

Is Capital One a bank?
Capital One is not a traditional bank — it's a bank holding company. Bank holding companies control one or more banks but don’t necessarily engage in banking themselves.
What is the minimum deposit for a Capital One CD?
There is no minimum deposit to open or maintain a Certificate of Deposit account with Capital One. However, CD accounts can’t exceed $1,000,000.
How do you find your Capital One account number?
You can find your Capital One account number either on your statement under “Your Savings Summary” or online through the Capital One 360 portal.
Does Capital One have a mobile app?
Yes. Capital One Mobile is Capital One’s mobile banking app. Through Capital One Mobile, you can manage credit cards, bank accounts and home or auto loans.
Where are Capital One branch locations?
Capital One has branch locations in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Louisiana and Washington, D.C.

Capital One Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Capital One, I think everyone has seen their commercials with the catchy slogan "What's in your wallet?" and to be honest I never thought twice, but I have to hand it to them, they have one of the best applications for cards I have ever used. Not only do they have a clean interface with perks easily displayed and purchases shown with logos of the establishments, but they have a fast response time for payments (instantaneous) and watching your limits shoot back up and the cash back rewards pop in just makes you feel so darn good. They gave me a chance when I was barely eligible, not only that, but they gave me a taste of 0% APR periods and cool perks that I never thought I deserved with my standings. In combination with other providers I have earned my Good Fico score Rating I have today and I intend to keep it that way.

Original review: May 31, 2021

The Capital One online and app systems are comprehensive and easy to navigate. Checking, savings, and credit card accounts are all right at your fingertips and easily viewed either comprehensively or individually for more detailed info. Big thumbs up!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2021

This bank is just bomb. I love them SOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!! They've been with me for years. This bank ALWAYS has my back. ALWAYS. It's a ride or die bank. The only complaint I have is that they outsource their customer service to countries with thick accents who are near impossible to understand. If 98% of your clients speak English and you must outsource, why not outsource to countries who have cultural and language competence in the country you primarily serve? Like Canada, Japan, Mexico City (not other areas though), and Jamaica. These are all really good countries to outsource to. NOT India, Pakistan, Columbia, Nigeria, or Central America.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I have a Quicksilver and Venture card with Capital One as well as a Walmart card. They have been absolutely amazing in terms of customer service. I actually received an Amazon gift card in the mail from them. Out of all the companies I have, Capital One is the first to ever send me such a gift. Amazing company and will continue to be a customer.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I have been using Capital One to Restore my Credit after My Divorce, They did not help, they made my Credit worse even after missing only one payment, it was only 3 days late and my credit score went down 70+ points, OMG Stay Away… They don’t help in anyway, they just keep taking your money without helping to improve your score… Buyer Beware…

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

I applied June 22, 2021 for a Capital One card and was told I was approved online. A verification package was sent and received sometime after. I did not note the date. I went to Canada Post a few days later and they verified my identification and sent the verification back. I checked the Canada Post tracking number a couple weeks later and it showed that they had received my verification. Again I did not note the date.

I waited and waited and I never received my card. I called several weeks later and was told they never my received my verification, despite the fact Canada Post tracking confirmed delivery. The Agent sent a new verification package. Nov 12, 2021, I went to Canada Post and they verified my identification and sent the verification back. Nov 17, 2021, The second verification was received by Capital One according to Canada Post tracking. Jan 5, 2022, I spent 33 min on hold, had to tell the agent my phone number and story 3 times. She tried twice to send me to a supervisor and was “not given permission to connect my call.” Finally a Supervisor answered. He advised me my account was closed Dec 17, 2021 as they stated the second verification was not received and was told to reapply. Awesome customer service - NOT.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I have utilized a Capital One Rewards Credit card for over 20 years. Once upon a time, I was quick to praise Capital One for their incredible Customer Service, and often recommended Capital One products to others. Unfortunately, the company is not what is it used to be, and my dissatisfaction has risen to the point that I feel the need to warn others.

During the pandemic, Capital One cut many customers' available credit in half without warning (including mine), at a time when many were struggling and/or out of work (**). Although I did not use my Capital One card routinely for day-to-day purchases and thus was not as negatively impacted as some consumers, Capital One's actions caused my credit score to drop without warning since an individual's credit rating depends upon the percentage of available credit utilized. If the amount of available credit decreases, so does your credit score; if your spending and payment habits remain unchanged. When I called Customer Service (now overseas) to request that the credit limit I had enjoyed for over 15 years be reinstated so that my credit rating would be restored, Capital One refused to do so (thereby rendering the credit card useless for any sizeable purchase).

As if that were not insulting enough, I have now learned that Capital One treats all electronic payments made after 8PM ON THE DUE DATE as a LATE payment, worthy of a $25.00 late fee plus finance charges! All other banks and companies I deal with treat electronic transactions made through midnight on the date due as having occurred on time, with no late fee or penalty; so clearly the technology exists for Capital One to do the same. One must then question why Capital One would arbitrarily choose to treat payments made after 8PM on the due date, as though they were not made until the FOLLOWING date.

If these arbitrary policies feel as unreasonable to you as they do to me, then you will likely be happier taking your financial business elsewhere. There are too many other banks and credit card companies out there who treat their customers fairly to accept such senseless arbitrary policies that harm customers intending to pay responsibly and maintain excellent credit.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

Capital One credit card department Transaction support center is a terrible place to deal with. They are not understanding, not helpful and will always support other big corporations to rip poor people off. I had a transaction with La Quinta Suites which I cancelled the booking because of a storm. I called La Quinta and cancelled. They still charged my capital one credit and capital one sided with La Quinta after I faxed several documents to capital one. I was disgusted and felt cheated by La Quinta with capital one aiding La Quinta to rip people off. Once I pay off my credit card with capital, I will close my account with them. I have been with capital one for 15 yrs and felt so bad with the wicked treatment I got from them. The money involved is just $92 and nothing to me. But once I am ripped off, it hurts no matter how small. Bye Capital one for employing lousy people in your Transaction support center.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Updated on 01/05/2022: CAPITAL ONE HAS STOLEN ALL OF MY MONEY! I am a retired person with only a small savings. I had an ex who continuously sabotaged my finances. That has made me very anxious about money. Every day I would check my account to make sure my savings was still there. That was money I saved over years. All of my paychecks and tax returns have been deposited into that account. I must have been clairvoyant because a week ago I received an official legitimate paper check from the government and did the thing where you take a picture and send it in as Capital One has no bank near me. Apparently, they tried to verify it but couldn't and FROZE ALL MY ACCOUNTS! They even froze my daughter's account that I'm on!

A week later they're still frozen and they said, "there is no timeline" of when it will be resolved. I have had one panic attack after another over this. I can't sleep. One day you have money and the next day it's all taken away! Somehow this is legal! They seem to think I shouldn't be upset with them about it. It's legal theft. I have tried over and over and over to get them to call the govt agency but because there are hold times they say they can't do it. I also sent them documentation. You can't rob someone of all their money unless you're a bank. Their CEO made $20m last year. Wonder where it all came from.

Updated on 01/04/2022: They still have my money and my daughter's money. Yes, they froze my daughter's account, too!! I want it back, TODAY! And they still claim they don't have time to contact the government agency that issued the check. They have a real attitude. I have filed complaints with the CFPB and that Attorney General. They have had over 3000 complaints filed with Consumer Finance Protection Bureau in the past 3 years. That's 3 per day! Just for their banking!!!

Now, they're once again acting like I've done something wrong by telling me they're ending my business relationship with me. No **! Do you really think I'd stay with a bank that has done this to me? If I don't have my money in 24 hours I'll escalate this further! Can you imagine what it's like when you've saved money for years and one day it's just frozen? I don't think I could ever trust a bank again. I'm putting my money under the mattress from now on. Why bother to put it in the bank? Look at the crap interest rates. That was a real bait and switch. Meanwhile the CEO made $20m last year.

Original Review: I've had an account with them for a long time and never had too much trouble. I had a decent savings account, checking account and credit card with them. My direct deposits went there for years. All of my stimulus checks and tax refunds went there. I started receiving a government pension. I sent the first check in where you take the picture and send that in. They said it wasn't good and couldn't verify it and froze my accounts. The Defense Finance Agency must not have caught up in the system. I spoke to two ignoramuses, one of whom put me on a terminal hold. My accounts, including my savings account and my daughter's savings account are on hold and it's a holiday weekend. No one will do anything. When my accounts are unfrozen I will close out my accounts.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I have been a customer of Capital One for 5 years and here's what I learnt. Unless you're retired and bored don't use this bank. The hold time is crazy and the reps know nothing and their first language is definitely not English. All verification documents need to be sent by mail or fax, What happened to EMAIL. I wish I could give them zero stars.

Capital One Company Information